PDA

View Full Version : Season broken down by the month

El Tejano
01-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Just noticed this small stat over the last two years.

If you look at the last two seasons, that's pretty much been the case. Going 0-3 (2008) and 1-2 (2009) in September and then going 1-3 each year in November.

In October and December we have a pretty good record over the past two seasons. 3-1 both seasons in Oct, and 4-1 (08) and 4-1 (including 1 Jan game in 2009).

What that comes out to is consistency. Seems like we only start working when our backs are against the wall or the pressure is off of us because we don't start the season real well or come out of the bye looking strong (understanding the bye in 08 kind of screwed with us due to Ike).

Thoughts?

thunderkyss
01-15-2010, 10:15 AM

If you look at the last two seasons, that's pretty much been the case. Going 0-3 (2008) and 1-2 (2009) in September and then going 1-3 each year in November.

In October and December we have a pretty good record over the past two seasons. 3-1 both seasons in Oct, and 4-1 (08) and 4-1 (including 1 Jan game in 2009).

What that comes out to is consistency. Seems like we only start working when our backs are against the wall or the pressure is off of us because we don't start the season real well or come out of the bye looking strong (understanding the bye in 08 kind of screwed with us due to Ike).

Thoughts?

The way I see it, there's always a lot of "experimenting" early in the season, a lot of learning, and then some gelling at the end of the season.

This year, defensively I saw lots of strange defensive fronts & experimental personnel packages early in the season. Then later when we figured out what we wanted to do, what worked & who our best were, we were pretty consistent doing what we wanted to do & the personnel used in certain situations.

My biggest gripe, is that we haven't had a history of carrying anything over from the previous season. We think we got something figured out, and we change everything to start the season.

This year I thought we were going to see some of that, but we went more pure ZBS, Slaton got fumblitus, & 2 of our starting 5 were put on IR early.

I hope Kubiak knows what he wants to do on both sides of the ball next season, and we can build on what we've accomplished in '09.

The Pencil Neck
01-15-2010, 10:47 AM
My biggest gripe, is that we haven't had a history of carrying anything over from the previous season. We think we got something figured out, and we change everything to start the season.

I didn't want to say this.

BUT.

In Kubes' first year, our defense was ABYSMAL the first 3 games of the season and then the last 13 games, we played pretty damned good. Our numbers, if we had put them up for the entire season, would have put us in the top 10 in defense. I expected us to come out the next year and play like a top 10 defense... and it did not happen.

That's what I'm afraid of for next year. That we won't have any carryover of the defense we were playing by the end of this season. We need to have that defense for 16 games, not 13.

rush2112mn
01-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Getting off to a good start still eluded this team....but also something else.....

AFC SOUTH OPPONENT GAMES.....that is what kills us too......we have to do better in the South or we will never get into the playoffs........

Losing twice to Jacksonville and Indianapolis hurt.... 1-5 is not good........for the South.......

Goldensilence
01-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Thoughts?

Right there. We typically screw the pooch early and mid-season then on the back end with our back against the wall and got to save the coaching staff.

I didn't want to say this.

BUT.

In Kubes' first year, our defense was ABYSMAL the first 3 games of the season and then the last 13 games, we played pretty damned good. Our numbers, if we had put them up for the entire season, would have put us in the top 10 in defense. I expected us to come out the next year and play like a top 10 defense... and it did not happen.

That's what I'm afraid of for next year. That we won't have any carryover of the defense we were playing by the end of this season. We need to have that defense for 16 games, not 13.

Good post. Though I might eat my words for this, I think next year will see defensive carry over because of Brian Cushing's intensity and Bush actually having a scheme to work within.

Truth is if this team wants to compete next year with the schedule they have looming, they absolutely HAVE to start good on both sides of the ball.

GP
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
What if Schaub gets hurt, and misses time in 2010?

That's going to throw EVERYTHING out the window if the Texans do not find someone who can carry the water with some sort of TRUE talent as a QB.

We're really skating on thin ice, folks.

1. A finesse oline who cannot blow other dlines off the snap on short yardage situations. A center who does not inspire confidence in most fans around here.

2. Mystery at the RB position. M-Y-S-T-E-R-Y.

3. Questionable on the return AND effectiveness of Owen Daniels, a real game-changer for us and a very BIG relief-valve for Schaub when the blitz is on. What if he's a shell of his former self on the field?

4. Only one really good QB, with some lunchmeat sitting on the bench at 2nd and 3rd string.

5. Still no BIG-TIME production from our dline, especially Mario Williams who should be a force to reckon with by this point in time. A project guy named Connor Barwin. A guy named Amobi whom we still can't pick out of the lineup and say "WOW! Did you see what he just did to his man across from him! Holy Cow!" And a free-agent named Antonio Smith who also is in and out of the picture and not really tearing things up the way we had hoped.

6. Kubiak in his final year of contract.

7. Andre Johnson sitting there wondering if he'll ever play in a simple 1st-round playoff game. Forget about Super Bowl for the moment. Will he get to play in a playoff game at all? If we miss it again in 2010, does he begin having thoughts of leaving Houston?

8. No threat to opposing defenses if Andre Johnson gets hurt and misses time. The WR squad looks pretty pedestrian after AJ is subtracted from the roster.

There's 8 scenarios that are very big problems for this team.

Throw in a strong schedule of opponents in 2010, and I think we might need to sit here and savor 9-7 for all its worth right now.

They better hit a lot of home-runs in the draft, and turn the tide in free agency signings somehow.

The Pencil Neck
01-15-2010, 01:19 PM
There's 8 scenarios that are very big problems for this team.

But there's not a team in the league that you can't make a list like this for. Especially if you're a fan and know your teams weaknesses.

4Texans
01-15-2010, 02:10 PM
These guys need to realize that the road to the playoffs begin with the first game of the season, and involves each and every game. The hell with the division wins and losses, each game counts. If we could have beat the Jets this season in the first game, we would have been in the playoffs by beating the Patriots on the last day.

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
These guys need to realize that the road to the playoffs begin with the first game of the season, and involves each and every game. The hell with the division wins and losses, each game counts. If we could have beat the Jets this season in the first game, we would have been in the playoffs by beating the Patriots on the last day.

If we had beat the Jets we could have lost to the Patriots and still gotten into the playoffs. Win any of the seven losses and we would have been in as well.

HOU-TEX
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
If we had beat the Jets we could have lost to the Patriots and still gotten into the playoffs. Win any of the seven losses and we would have been in as well.

And here I was beginning to feel better. Thanks, man, appreciate the friendly reminder. :)

4Texans
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM

True, whether it's the Jets, Colts, Jags, or Tacks, it makes no difference. I'm just not taking away any of our wins. The team needs to show a sense of urgency from week #1 on.

4Texans
01-15-2010, 02:26 PM

And here I was beginning to feel better. Thanks, man, appreciate the friendly reminder. :)

Yeah, doesn't that strike a nerve! One more win!:foottap:

Bronco Texan II
01-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Getting off to a good start still eluded this team....but also something else.....

AFC SOUTH OPPONENT GAMES.....that is what kills us too......we have to do better in the South or we will never get into the playoffs........

Losing twice to Jacksonville and Indianapolis hurt.... 1-5 is not good........for the South.......

I don't want to try and seem like I am using this as an excuse, but we had 4 Divisional games in a row. The most our opponents had in a row was 2. That was 4 weeks of really hard fought emotional games where the team didn't have a chance to catch thier breath. Had they won that first Colts game though I think it would have been atleast a 3-1 4 game stretch instead of 0-4.

Bronco Texan II
01-15-2010, 07:09 PM

That's going to throw EVERYTHING out the window if the Texans do not find someone who can carry the water with some sort of TRUE talent as a QB.

How is this no different for majority of the league? You think the Colts will carry one with Painter at QB?

Runner
01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I don't want to try and seem like I am using this as an excuse, but we had 4 Divisional games in a row. The most our opponents had in a row was 2. That was 4 weeks of really hard fought emotional games where the team didn't have a chance to catch thier breath.

Well, except for the bye week.*

*which they spent deciding Chris Brown was their best option at running back.

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, except for the bye week.

True there was a a bye week but I mentioned before the season began that those four games were a remarkable stretch. I have never seen any team have four division games in a row before. The year before was another oddity in scheduling with the Texans being the first team in NFL history to start their season with four games against playoff teams.

b0ng
01-15-2010, 08:43 PM

A laundry list of things that could go wrong (And almost all of those things could happen to any team and it would screw them) doesn't really point to anything though. What if Peyton blows out a knee? What if Moss gets injured and Welker is still rehabbing his knee? What if Chris Johnson gets arrested for murder? What if Phillip Rivers got in a ********* contest, lost, and was forced to commit seppuku? What if Cedric Benson went back to being a lazy alcoholic? What if Demarcus Ware developed a nasty case of staph and was forced to sit? What if "Big" Ben penetrates another hotel worker?

The only teams you could really not make a list like that about would be the teams who are already terrible, mostly because those things are already happening to them (Jamarcus Russell is your starting QB, your left tackle is Jeff Backus, Steve Jackson is your only offensive threat, Al Davis is your owner, etc etc)

Runner
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
True there was a a bye week but I mentioned before the season began that those four games were a remarkable stretch. I have never seen any team have four division games in a row before. The year before was another oddity in scheduling with the Texans being the first team in NFL history to start their season with four games against playoff teams.

I remember you pointing out that stretch this pre-season. Didn't they have an unusually long stretch of road games last year (2008)?

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
I remember you pointing out that stretch this pre-season. Didn't they have an unusually long stretch of road games last year (2008)?

That's been kind of recurring. 2007 with a stretch of 7 games with 5 on the road then start 3 on the road for 2008 all against playoff teams than another stretch with 3 of 4 on the road. Now that means they had some home stretches too.

thunderkyss
01-15-2010, 09:49 PM

The biggest difference I'm seeing, is back then, we didn't have an idea, or anything we could call a "scheme". I'm hoping next year, we try to build on the identity we've built.

That's why we need a workhorse running back who can share that load.

& to another point you made, we need Jacoby to step it up all year long. If he can become a legit playmaker opposite Andre, become our Reggie Wayne... we'll be okay if Andre misses a game or two.

These guys need to realize that the road to the playoffs begin with the first game of the season, and involves each and every game.

It's amazing to me that some people think they understand the importance of every game more than the people who build their lives around each one.

Cjeremy635
01-15-2010, 10:26 PM
I kinda look at it a little differently. I tend to think that we are just a late season team, for whatever reason, and if we happen to make it into the postseason, we have a chance to go deep. The last 2 seasons we have come on strong late and if we can somehow happen to get into the dance, we will take a lot of teams by surprise. Hopefully we start out faster next year and still have our steam going into the final few games of the season. I was pretty patient this year, but next year I have a whole other set of expectations, and if they aren't met.......... I will definately be pissed.

:pissed:

Norg
01-15-2010, 11:09 PM
this sums our season pretty much

@Indy-L
bye
vs tENN-L
vs Indy-L
@jags-L

intill we can beat the big bad wolf Indy we are not going any where

THats why we should build our hole Team soley around beating INdy and Facing the Wildcat styles of Tenn & JAgs Alla MJD&Garred and VY&CJ

thunderkyss
01-15-2010, 11:50 PM
this sums our season pretty much

@Indy-L
bye
vs tENN-L
vs Indy-L
@jags-L

intill we can beat the big bad wolf Indy we are not going any where

THats why we should build our hole Team soley around beating INdy and Facing the Wildcat styles of Tenn & JAgs Alla MJD&Garred and VY&CJ

I honestly think people are making too big a deal out of this. We are still a young team, with no identity, until recently. Our Veterans avg a little over 4 years in the league. I know it's hard to not think about the 8 total years we've been in existence... but it is what it is.

If we start where we left off last year, it will be the first time we've done so since Kubiak has been here.

I think this team is finally at a stage that he can say, "this is what I want, this is what I want to do," and have reasonably expect us to be able to do it.

If we win the first game of the season, I don't think we can say, "He finally gets it." Or if we are 5-1 in the division, we can't say, "About time he understood."

He's been saying the same things since he got here, it just took him longer than any of us expected to get the team where it is. I don't think he expected it to take so long either.

But that's all behind us now. Now, we start playing for a championship.

DexmanC
01-16-2010, 09:23 AM
I honestly think people are making too big a deal out of this. We are still a young team, with no identity, until recently. Our Veterans avg a little over 4 years in the league. I know it's hard to not think about the 8 total years we've been in existence... but it is what it is.

If we start where we left off last year, it will be the first time we've done so since Kubiak has been here.

I think this team is finally at a stage that he can say, "this is what I want, this is what I want to do," and have reasonably expect us to be able to do it.

If we win the first game of the season, I don't think we can say, "He finally gets it." Or if we are 5-1 in the division, we can't say, "About time he understood."

He's been saying the same things since he got here, it just took him longer than any of us expected to get the team where it is. I don't think he expected it to take so long either.

But that's all behind us now. Now, we start playing for a championship.

Banking on that is what leads to disappointment, and making excuses
for the next season. I've seen this episode four years in a row. Hopefully,
the schedule makers spread our division games out, so that our putrid
performance therein will be hidden better, and it won't be noticeable
until we crunch the numbers. I almost listed every team we lost to
during our "tough stretches" but I stopped myself. Everyone knows
we lose to the same teams every year, so I'm waiting for what's
gonna change.

Here's to 2010 being the FIRST TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY the Texans
"turn the corner."
:texflag:

GP
01-16-2010, 09:40 AM
But there's not a team in the league that you can't make a list like this for. Especially if you're a fan and know your teams weaknesses.

Had we landed Cedric Benson, we aren't so bad at RB anymore. It stabilizes itself a bit, wouldn't you agree?

I think Kubiak screwed the pooch by not going balls-to-the-wall and telling Rick Smith to do whatever it takes to get the Cedric Benson deal done.

I think Kubiak also messed up by waiting so long to play Jacoby Jones. I think he definitely messed up by pulling an "I'm a man!" and making JJ stay home in the Jax away game. What if JJ had scored a TD in that game, or busted off some big returns? What if we WIN that game? We're in the playoffs, bro.

I think Kubiak made a bad judgment in sticking with Chris Brown for the whole season except the last game. I didn't even see his ass on the field in the last game, did I? Where was he? I wish that had been the case in 2-3 games earlier in the year. We'd be in the playoffs.

Kubiak should have brought in another kicker. Hell, drop Chris Brown the RB and use his roster spot for another kicker so that you retain Kris Brown and sit him down for a few games to let the other kicker get a shot. We might have made the playoffs.

Just always seems, with this head coach, that we're a day late and a dollar short. Do all coaches make decisions that cost a game or two? Yes. It just seems ours misses the really easy decisions so damn much. He needs a visit from Captain Obvious every few days.

I'll say it again: He built a nice offense, stopped the bleeding, but I don't see the sort of decision-making on several issues (ones that plague this team annually) that show we're in for a great 2010.

You guys can carry on with justifying and rationalizing...:worldpeace:

GP
01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Banking on that is what leads to disappointment, and making excuses
for the next season. I've seen this episode four years in a row. Hopefully,
gonna change.

Here's to 2010 being the FIRST TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY the Texans
"turn the corner."
:texflag:

LOL.

I really did laugh out loud at that one sentence.

So. freaking. true.

The Pencil Neck
01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Had we landed Cedric Benson, we aren't so bad at RB anymore. It stabilizes itself a bit, wouldn't you agree?

I think Kubiak screwed the pooch by not going balls-to-the-wall and telling Rick Smith to do whatever it takes to get the Cedric Benson deal done.

I think Kubiak also messed up by waiting so long to play Jacoby Jones. I think he definitely messed up by pulling an "I'm a man!" and making JJ stay home in the Jax away game. What if JJ had scored a TD in that game, or busted off some big returns? What if we WIN that game? We're in the playoffs, bro.

I think Kubiak made a bad judgment in sticking with Chris Brown for the whole season except the last game. I didn't even see his ass on the field in the last game, did I? Where was he? I wish that had been the case in 2-3 games earlier in the year. We'd be in the playoffs.

Kubiak should have brought in another kicker. Hell, drop Chris Brown the RB and use his roster spot for another kicker so that you retain Kris Brown and sit him down for a few games to let the other kicker get a shot. We might have made the playoffs.

Just always seems, with this head coach, that we're a day late and a dollar short. Do all coaches make decisions that cost a game or two? Yes. It just seems ours misses the really easy decisions so damn much. He needs a visit from Captain Obvious every few days.

I'll say it again: He built a nice offense, stopped the bleeding, but I don't see the sort of decision-making on several issues (ones that plague this team annually) that show we're in for a great 2010.

I don't agree.

1. Cedric Benson: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone thought we had our #1. We made a very good offer to Cedric Benson, it just happened to be the second best offer. And the other offer was for him to be the #1 back. We could not make that offer after Slaton's first season.

2. Jacoby Jones: Jacoby Jones ended with his best 3 game stretch in his history but that doesn't mean he was playing more. It means he was getting open more. He was in the games prior to that. But Jacoby has to grow up. I think that Jacksonville thing was something that helped wake him up.

3. Chris Brown: He was our best back at picking up the blitz.

4. Kris Brown: If a kicker is on the street, it's because he missed kicks for someone else. So, you want someone who has missed kicks for someone else more than you want someone who has missed kicks for us? You get someone like the Ravens have who's missed 5 field goals in 7 games as opposed to Brown who's missed 11 kicks in 16 games... which is pretty much a wash. You make it sound like there's a bunch of consistent kickers out on the street that we could replace him with. There isn't.

What it boils down to is that this coaching staff put the team into a position to win. Did they make all the right decisions? No. But no coaching staff does. Not even the Colts or the Patriots coaches make all the right decisions.

Ultimately, this is football. There are going to be good years and there are going to be bad years. Even good teams can fall apart and have a bad year (like the Titans did and like the Steelers did a couple of years ago.) Everyone is trying to win and everyone is doing the things they think they need to do it. And this team has gotten consistently better. We've got a strong base at this point. We're a tough team now that can beat anyone. And this coaching staff built that.

DexmanC
01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
None of those other regimes, since we came along in 2006 (Kubiak era), took 5 years
to HOPE for their 1st playoff season. Here's to getting to the finish line,
and not tearing the ribbon down.

:texans:

thunderkyss
01-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Banking on that is what leads to disappointment,

I completely agree here, and this is why I said what I said.

and making excuses
for the next season.

I'm sure there are times when the results of your labor don't turn out the way you had planned. When that happens, I would imagine you would study the situation and figure out what went wrong. It's not making excuses. It's identifying the reasons so that you can avoid them in the future.

I've seen this episode four years in a row.

No you haven't. Like I said, we have made major changes at the beginnnig of each season that Kubiak was here. We can argue that if you like, but for now, I stand by my previous statement. IF we start where we left off last season, it will be the first time since Gary has been here.

Hopefully,
gonna change.

You're smart enough to know it goes deeper than that. Last season after crunching the numbers, we "realized" that our team didn't play well on the road... it just so happened that 3 out of 8 road games were divisional games.

Our road record improved this year. I understand that doesn't have the play-off implications as divisional record.... but it is a much more fundamental aspect of the game. If playing on the road is a problem, our divisional record won't mean squat.

There are all kinds of "little" things this team needs to work on, & you're trying to plug them into the Super Bowl every year.

thunderkyss
01-16-2010, 12:24 PM

There's that hindsight thing again. You make it sound as if it was blantantly obvious that Cedric Benson was going to be among the leading rushers for 2009. But 30 other teams felt the same way about Cedric Benson, that we did. He was let go by the team that ranked 24th in rushing in 2007, and 29th in 2008. Why would we have thought he could add anything to this team?

The Larry Johnson thing is more incriminating in my mind, I don't know why people harp on Cedric Benson.

But if you're making a play-off push, you know you've got an issue at RB, why wouldn't you bring in LJ at your week 10 bye, when you know you've struggled for the previous 9 weeks? Cedric Benson's team did.

I disagree. Jacoby has had a great season, 2009. What if he thought his season prior to that game was so good that he "earned" some kind of special privilege?

IMHO, you ruin the player. I think we focus too much on winning games, it would have been nice to be in the play-offs, don't get me wrong. But the right thing is the right thing. Where is Jerome Mathis? Just as talented... same problems.

I don't know that Kubiak "stuck" with Chris Brown for the whole season. Kubiak was hoping Slaton would turn it around, & start contributing to this team.

Like I said before, what did we have to lose by picking up LJ week 10, & dropping Chris Brown? Sure, there's that "knowing the playbook" thing... but other than that?

I don't know about that. Is the "Cedric Benson is a top ten rusher" obvious that we already talked about, kind of obvious?

Or the "fire our kicker & pick up a kicker someone else fired who may be out of his slump" kind of obvious?

I don't know what next year is going to bring. In all honesty, I have seen nothing to think that we won't be doing something completely different next year, that we'll have to "learn" before we can start being good.

But I think we were good on both sides of the ball in 2009. I think we were a RB away from being a play-off team (& not a team that backed into the play-offs, but a play-off team).

If we pick up where we left off last year, and add that "factor back" I don't care who is on our schedule, we'll make the play-offs, and possibly win a championship.

GP
01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't agree.

1. Cedric Benson: Hindsight is 20/20. Everyone thought we had our #1. We made a very good offer to Cedric Benson, it just happened to be the second best offer. And the other offer was for him to be the #1 back. We could not make that offer after Slaton's first season.

2. Jacoby Jones: Jacoby Jones ended with his best 3 game stretch in his history but that doesn't mean he was playing more. It means he was getting open more. He was in the games prior to that. But Jacoby has to grow up. I think that Jacksonville thing was something that helped wake him up.

4. Kris Brown: If a kicker is on the street, it's because he missed kicks for someone else. So, you want someone who has missed kicks for someone else more than you want someone who has missed kicks for us? You get someone like the Ravens have who's missed 5 field goals in 7 games as opposed to Brown who's missed 11 kicks in 16 games... which is pretty much a wash. You make it sound like there's a bunch of consistent kickers out on the street that we could replace him with. There isn't.

What it boils down to is that this coaching staff put the team into a position to win. Did they make all the right decisions? No. But no coaching staff does. Not even the Colts or the Patriots coaches make all the right decisions.

Ultimately, this is football. There are going to be good years and there are going to be bad years. Even good teams can fall apart and have a bad year (like the Titans did and like the Steelers did a couple of years ago.) Everyone is trying to win and everyone is doing the things they think they need to do it. And this team has gotten consistently better. We've got a strong base at this point. We're a tough team now that can beat anyone. And this coaching staff built that.

Wow. And I have to say that I disagree with everything you just posted.

It's obvious you think this is on the players.

I don't.

Gary Kubiak is going to produce the same result in year 5 that he did in years 1-4: Getting pwned by his divisional rivals, resulting in somewhere around a 1-5 or 2-4 record against them.

It's no longer necessary to argue this. He has had four years and he has shown an inability to out-coach and out-wit Del Rio, Fisher, and whoever coaches Manning.

Has he assembled a good team? Pretty much, but not to the extent that it could be right now. You say Benson is 20/20, I say it's a product of Kubiak being his usual arrogant self in terms of running backs. It's just getting beyond stupid to sit here and watch Kubiak trot out all these D-list running backs every year.

Assembling a good team, and USING that team to out-coach and out-wit other teams is not his trademark.

You have one thing right, I suppose, as it relates to this being on the players: The games we won, I feel it was our players overcoming BAD gameday coaching strategy (and roster decisions!!!) in spite of Kubiak's errors.

I want a fantastic team. Not an average team that falls between great and suck. Gary Kubiak has not shown that he is a good gameday coach. And it's gameday that matters. Go look at the Jets. They know how to capitalize upon golden opportunities. They just creamed the Bengals, a team we beat pretty solidly ourselves.

We would be in the 2nd round of the playoffs right now.

And in my opinion, this is on Gary Kubiak. Mostly his roster decisions, as well as questionable gameday strategies. Halfback pass? Case closed.

thunderkyss
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
None of those other regimes, since we came along in 2006 (Kubiak era), took 5 years
to HOPE for their 1st playoff season. Here's to getting to the finish line,
and not tearing the ribbon down.

:texans:

Any of those other teams put the majority of 53 guys together for the first time in their young NFL careers & teach them to play football at a profesional level?

You find me one of those new regimes that has made the play-offs since 2006, & I'll show you a team with a core of players who have been gelling for more than 3 years. We don't have that yet. We will in 2010, but we don't have it yet.

GP
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
LOL.

Good gravy! OK, OK. I give in.

Our players, if they can just catch up with Gary Kubiak's immense genius, will rule the galaxy one day.

All I know is that a lot of you are in for a rude awakening when Gary Kubiak grips that podium in week 1 or 2 and taps on it and says "It's on me..." again.

I can only break it down to its simplest, base description:

1. He built a better offense than what we had, making us competent again.

2. But he cannot coach on gameday. And I question, wholeheartedly, his ability to scheme and prepare for our divisional rivals after having a whopping 24 chances against them over the past four seasons.

I'll go back to my little room of reality now.

You guys continue sucking on the laughing gas.

The Pencil Neck
01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Wow. And I have to say that I disagree with everything you just posted.

It's obvious you think this is on the players.

I don't.

Gary Kubiak is going to produce the same result in year 5 that he did in years 1-4: Getting pwned by his divisional rivals, resulting in somewhere around a 1-5 or 2-4 record against them.

It's no longer necessary to argue this. He has had four years and he has shown an inability to out-coach and out-wit Del Rio, Fisher, and whoever coaches Manning.

Has he assembled a good team? Pretty much, but not to the extent that it could be right now. You say Benson is 20/20, I say it's a product of Kubiak being his usual arrogant self in terms of running backs. It's just getting beyond stupid to sit here and watch Kubiak trot out all these D-list running backs every year.

Assembling a good team, and USING that team to out-coach and out-wit other teams is not his trademark.

You have one thing right, I suppose, as it relates to this being on the players: The games we won, I feel it was our players overcoming BAD gameday coaching strategy (and roster decisions!!!) in spite of Kubiak's errors.

I want a fantastic team. Not an average team that falls between great and suck. Gary Kubiak has not shown that he is a good gameday coach. And it's gameday that matters. Go look at the Jets. They know how to capitalize upon golden opportunities. They just creamed the Bengals, a team we beat pretty solidly ourselves.

We would be in the 2nd round of the playoffs right now.

And in my opinion, this is on Gary Kubiak. Mostly his roster decisions, as well as questionable gameday strategies. Halfback pass? Case closed.

I think this is the crux of your problem.

You're not going to be happy unless this team breaks records for winning. You're not going to be happy unless we find a coach and gm that make no mistakes.

That doesn't exist. You want a fairy tale. You'd be disappointed rooting for any team.

beerlover
01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Well you have to admit the Texans are predictable. It's easier for teams to gameplan & shutdown Texans early because they're still young & rookies who need to produce face a steep learning curve. The Denver system has been around awhile so if you can't run the ball playaction is just not that effective.

I seriously question peoples football smarts when they can't understand the changes & improvements made from a defensive standpoint from the beginning to end of season & how that translates into wins & loses? These players all became starters (LDE/DT Antonio Smith, DT Shaun Cody, SS Bernard Pollard, CB Glover Quinn & DROY Brian Cushing) on NEW Offensive Coordinator Frank Bush Defense, while Barwin, Busing & McCain provided valued minutes in differnet packages/depth. Thats half the defense upgraded in one season & reason why they started out bottom of the league & almost finished in the top 10. It's not m y s t e r y its r e a l i t y :fingergun:

Wolf
01-16-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.funnyvideogameshirts.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/nintendo_controller_even_god_knows_it_funny_video_ game_shirt.gif

:joker:

DexmanC
01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Any of those other teams put the majority of 53 guys together for the first time in their young NFL careers & teach them to play football at a profesional level?

You find me one of those new regimes that has made the play-offs since 2006, & I'll show you a team with a core of players who have been gelling for more than 3 years. We don't have that yet. We will in 2010, but we don't have it yet.

Maybe those teams understand how the game is played in the salary cap
era. Your young "core" will start to get a big head about their salaries, and
you won't be able to keep all of 'em. We got another 2 or 3 years with
Demeco, OD, Slaton, Winston, Pollard, etc. Have we made the playoffs
even ONCE before the ends of these guys' first contracts? These guys
keep making ProBowls and All Pro lists, and some team with better leverage
than us will snatch them from us. We just don't have 5-7 years to build
a champion in this era!

P.S. I've never seen an insurance policy with better coverage than that phrase.
You've already got 2010's excuse fully covered. Man, we need to raise our
STANDARDS around here!

thunderkyss
01-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Well you have to admit the Texans are predictable. It's easier for teams to gameplan & shutdown Texans early because they're still young & rookies who need to produce face a steep learning curve. The Denver system has been around awhile so if you can't run the ball playaction is just not that effective.

Are you being Sarcastic?

It's easy for teams to game plan & shut us down?

has that happened? I mean look at the offensive stats. We didn't score the points when & where we wanted (who does really??), but even with all our goof ups, player goof ups, we finished top ten in scoring.

Assuming we can't run off play action because we aren't running well also seems to be wrong. We threw off play-action often & effectively this season.

thunderkyss
01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe those teams understand how the game is played in the salary cap
era.

I don't see how that addresses my arguement.

P.S. I've never seen an insurance policy with better coverage than that phrase.
You've already got 2010's excuse fully covered. Man, we need to raise our
STANDARDS around here!

That wasn't an excuse for the 2010 season. & my standards are just fine thank you.

the only offensive player that was started on this team prior to 2007 is Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, & Owen Daniels.

The only deffensive players are Dunta Robinson, Mario & Demeco.

Blame Kubiak or whatever, or whoever. But the team you are upset missed the play-offs in 2009 is only 3 years old.

GP
01-16-2010, 08:33 PM
I think this is the crux of your problem.

You're not going to be happy unless this team breaks records for winning. You're not going to be happy unless we find a coach and gm that make no mistakes.

That doesn't exist. You want a fairy tale. You'd be disappointed rooting for any team.

No. I don't want perfection. It's impossible.

Perfection is not the same as being fantastic. You're blurring the meaning of what I said.

Fantastic is when you turn on the TV and you EXPECT to see your team win, not wondering which team will show up on gameday. Fantastic is knowing that your team can run the ball AND pass the ball. Fantastic is knowing that your coach will cut a kicker's ASS if he starts costing us multiple games. And it's when coaches do not play favorites, refusing to exalt some guys over others because of whatever subjective reasoning the coach might possess.

The Oilers team that eventually lost to the Bills in the playoffs was the sort of team that when I turned on the TV, I knew we would probably win the game unless some freakish things happened. They were like robots out there. Watching Warren Moon in that season was like watching Peyton Manning perform the way he does right now: Precision, fast decision-making, multiple weapons, and they just did what they did and didn't get cute with things. They were who they were. Now try and stop them.

This team feels hollow to me. Brian Cushing, DeMeco Ryans, and Pollard have infused into me the only bit of hope I have in this team.

I think Frank Bush and his defense, from game-to-game (excluding the first reg season game) outplayed the offense. Did the offense put up great stats? Yes. But they also brain-farted so much that it rendered those stats pretty useless in the grand scheme of things. I put that on the shoulders of the man who orchestrates the offense: Gary Kubiak.

I am pleased with our defense. Even our secondary didn't get abused like it had every season since this team's inception. I think Bush did more in his first year as d-coord, in terms of putting his defense in position to out-wit and out-play its opposing offenses, than Kubiak did with our offense against opposing defenses. Bush, to me, is the one who probably teamed up with David Gibbs and decided they needed an enforcer. Result? Pollard. Outside of that first reg season game, the defense looked surprisingly competitive even with what we all kinda' consider to be a lackluster secondary.

You can see our offense take on a whole new persona when it gets near the goal line. They act scared, timid, and unsure of the plays being called. And that's because they SHOULD be scared, timid, and unsure of the plays being called.

I can't sit here and say that Gary Kubiak inspires me to believe that the offense will become cold-blooded killers on a consistent enough basis to get us into the playoffs. After four years, I just don't see it. I see a competent offense that isn't being pushed to its fullest potential.

beerlover
01-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Are you being Sarcastic?

It's easy for teams to game plan & shut us down?

has that happened? I mean look at the offensive stats. We didn't score the points when & where we wanted (who does really??), but even with all our goof ups, player goof ups, we finished top ten in scoring.

Assuming we can't run off play action because we aren't running well also seems to be wrong. We threw off play-action often & effectively this season.

in relationship between starting off slowly, or in this case losing Owen Daniels, to finishing strong, without Owen Daniels.

regarding play action, imagine how effective (scoring situations too) the Texans would be with a stronger running attack, if you can :pop:

by end of each season adjustments have been made, rookies/reserves have stepped up & players/coaches get on the same page. The Texans will be more consistant throughout the year as the overall depth of talent improves & they gain playoff expereince to provide the positive feedback they're on schedule.

I'm going to be cautious & hopefull all these things transpire so in the future confidence of the team reflects confidence in it's fans :tiphat:

DexmanC
01-16-2010, 11:45 PM
We've had running game issues since Day One of Kubiak. He's thrown
11 scrubs, and 1 good back at the issue. That means Gary's batting
1-11 when it comes to picking a talented back. He ditched what worked
last year <ZBS with Power mixed in> for a pure ZBS system.

No team in the league runs pure Cut-Block ZBS successfully. ALL mix
in a little PowerBlocking to keep the d-lines off balance.

We'll probably pretend Slaton gets back to his rookie form, and that Foster's
not the next Echimandu, Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor-style back.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2010, 01:43 AM
Fantastic is when you turn on the TV and you EXPECT to see your team win, not wondering which team will show up on gameday.

<snip>

The Oilers team that eventually lost to the Bills in the playoffs was the sort of team that when I turned on the TV, I knew we would probably win the game unless some freakish things happened. They were like robots out there. Watching Warren Moon in that season was like watching Peyton Manning perform the way he does right now: Precision, fast decision-making, multiple weapons, and they just did what they did and didn't get cute with things. They were who they were. Now try and stop them.
<snip>

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Because when I watch this team, I expect them to win. When we're down by 14 points in the 3rd quarter, I expect this team to come back. Because this team doesn't give up. They keep fighting. And that's the way I felt with the Bum Phillips Oilers. Because those Oilers would punch you in the mouth.

I didn't feel that way about the Warren Moon era Oilers because I felt they were soft. To me, that was the classic team that was built to look good in the regular season and then utterly fail in the postseason. Pardee did not have that killer instinct to me. That was why his teams frequently (not always) failed in big games even going back to his Coog days.

I've got no problem with many of the thing you have problems with. And I think Kubiak can easily take us to a Super Bowl and I think this team can win it.

ObsiWan
01-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't agree.

siiiigh.... must spread rep
All the complaints add up to a seriously bad case of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

DexmanC
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
We're a tough team now that can beat anyone. And this coaching staff built that.

Hold on there, Tiger. This year's schedule provided us with fewer tests
than we've seen in previous years. We failed every major test we DID
get on our schedule. We're NOT yet a team that can beat ANYONE.

The Jets blew us out. VY's Titans did what they wanted with us. The JAGS
swept us. The Colts swept us. Next year, we face those teams PLUS the
Ravens, NFC East, AND the Chargers!

Get through THAT before you say we can "beat anyone." We beat the good
teams when they're down a player or two. We destroy the bad teams
that are ravaged by injury. I still don't buy we can "play with the big boys"
only because we haven't yet.

infantrycak
01-17-2010, 11:53 AM

We beat two division winners and took another three games against division winners to be in a position to tie or win in the last minutes of the game. We did not fail every major test and are a team that can beat anyone.

DexmanC
01-17-2010, 12:14 PM
We beat two division winners and took another three games against division winners to be in a position to tie or win in the last minutes of the game. We did not fail every major test and are a team that can beat anyone.

The NFL Standings and Seedings are not based on "being in position." They're
based on CLOSING THE DEAL. CouldaWouldaShoulda doesn't get you a
SuperBowl. I'd love to SEE us actually BEAT those teams we have a history
of getting trounced by.

The Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Jets, VY-led Titans, Colts, and Jags will be
in the hunt for a playoff spot next year. Where have we proven we can
beat such teams? That's right. They embarrass us almost every time.

I'd also like to see how they do against the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants
next year as well.

If they hang with those teams in 2010, it will be the first time ever.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM

The Jets blew us out. VY's Titans did what they wanted with us. The JAGS
swept us. The Colts swept us. Next year, we face those teams PLUS the
Ravens, NFC East, AND the Chargers!

Get through THAT before you say we can "beat anyone." We beat the good
teams when they're down a player or two. We destroy the bad teams
that are ravaged by injury. I still don't buy we can "play with the big boys"
only because we haven't yet.

You hold on there, Tiger. I was stating what I believe. Not what you believe. I already know what you believe.

But losing a game by 3 points doesn't constitute VY's Titans as having their way with us.

When we were 3-3, we played a 3-2 team that everyone thought was going to be a contender and we beat them. When we were 4-3, we faced a 3-4 team coming off some big victories and crushed them in their house and they were never the same after. When we were 5-7, we faced a 5-7 team people thought was on the way up and we crushed them and they weren't the same after that. We beat the Bengals in their house. We beat the Patriots.

I don't care who's on our schedule next year. We're going to have a winning record.

That's what I believe. I know you're expecting us to go 4-12 or something.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2010, 01:41 PM
The NFL Standings and Seedings are not based on "being in position." They're
based on CLOSING THE DEAL. CouldaWouldaShoulda doesn't get you a
SuperBowl. I'd love to SEE us actually BEAT those teams we have a history
of getting trounced by.

The Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Jets, VY-led Titans, Colts, and Jags will be
in the hunt for a playoff spot next year. Where have we proven we can
beat such teams? That's right. They embarrass us almost every time.

I'd also like to see how they do against the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants
next year as well.

If they hang with those teams in 2010, it will be the first time ever.

Then it will be the first time ever. So what?

thunderkyss
01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey DexmanC if you're trying to get rif of one excuse before the season starts, put me down as a guy who will not blame our "tough" schedule for whatever our W-L will look like. It's clear you don't see it but I believe we can beat anyone, & I think we are going to beat a lot of good teams next year. More than we lose for sure.

I agree with you, that team we saw last year was not of that calibre. The team that beat the Dolphins and the Patriots are. I know you believe you saw the same thing at the end of '07 & '08. You obviously don't see the same thing we do, but this time it's different.

DexmanC
01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
You hold on there, Tiger. I was stating what I believe. Not what you believe. I already know what you believe.

But losing a game by 3 points doesn't constitute VY's Titans as having their way with us.

When we were 3-3, we played a 3-2 team that everyone thought was going to be a contender and we beat them. When we were 4-3, we faced a 3-4 team coming off some big victories and crushed them in their house and they were never the same after. When we were 5-7, we faced a 5-7 team people thought was on the way up and we crushed them and they weren't the same after that. We beat the Bengals in their house. We beat the Patriots.

I don't care who's on our schedule next year. We're going to have a winning record.

That's what I believe. I know you're expecting us to go 4-12 or something.

No. What I expect is in the range of 7-9, 9-7. What will make me downright
giddy, is 12-4 or 11-5. If they come out soft on opening day for the THIRD
year in a row, then we'll have our answer.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
No. What I expect is in the range of 7-9, 9-7. What will make me downright
giddy, is 12-4 or 11-5. If they come out soft on opening day for the THIRD
year in a row, then we'll have our answer.

Um. Okay. In your previous post, you basically said there were 9-10teams we couldn't beat.

Now you're expecting us to at least beat 2-3 of them.

But, be that as it may, you can't look at a schedule a year before and really know who's going to be tough. You never know who's going to make bad decisions or have a rash of injuries... or make great decisions or get hot.

DexmanC
01-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Um. Okay. In your previous post, you basically said there were 9-10teams we couldn't beat.

Now you're expecting us to at least beat 2-3 of them.

But, be that as it may, you can't look at a schedule a year before and really know who's going to be tough. You never know who's going to make bad decisions or have a rash of injuries... or make great decisions or get hot.

Even the Raiders beat a couple playoff contenders. I'll throw a "couple"
in there, 'cause even bad teams strike gold a few times. I.E: When we
beat Indy for the last time way back in '06. The only thing that will
convince me we've "arrived" is going greater than .500 against those
aforementioned teams. Am I aiming too high? That would be the case only if
this team WERE the Rams or Raiders. They ain't. What the culprit holding
this team back from achieving, is what we disagree on. Fair enough.

I just don't want to hear at the end of 2010: "We're a better 9-7 team than we were last year."

thunderkyss
01-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Not only that, but the majority of NFL teams aren't the same at the end of the season as they are at the beginning of the season. The Cowboys for one was a totally different team at the end of the 2009 season than the team that finished 2008.

The NYGiants, are going to do many, many things to make sure they aren't the team that ended 2009, & the Philadelphia Eagles have a lot of decisions to make that are going to make it difficult for them to be close to the team that finished 2009.

We've got a new OC, no QB Coach, and a big question mark at RB... who knows what the Texans are going to look like to start the 2010 season, much less who the Texans will be at the end of the season.

I'm optomistic we'll be a better team to start the season, and an even better team come January 2011.

GP
01-17-2010, 07:57 PM
...I've got no problem with many of the thing you have problems with. And I think Kubiak can easily take us to a Super Bowl and I think this team can win it...

Won't happen under Kubiak.

He'll lag next season, and won't get his contract renewed.

The Pencil Neck
01-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Won't happen under Kubiak.

He'll lag next season, and won't get his contract renewed.

OK.

We all know where we stand. Now let's stop talking about it and wait and see what happens. Everything else is just noise.

GP
01-18-2010, 08:18 AM
OK.

We all know where we stand. Now let's stop talking about it and wait and see what happens. Everything else is just noise.

True.

Imatexanfan
01-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah, doesn't that strike a nerve! One more win!:foottap:

Give thanks to ouf fabulous kicker Kris Brown (had to do it):bravo: