PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson makes All-Pro

b0ng
01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Also selected to the team was Houston receiver Andre Johnson (FSY) for the second time.

Repeaters from last year were Manning, Peterson, Andre Johnson, Hutchinson, Allen, Williams, Ware, Lewis and Lechler.

Source (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-01-14-all-pro-team_N.htm).

Congrats Andre Johnson you sexy football god.

Drew_Smoke
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
And McGwire did 'roids...

LOL...congrats to the beast of the Texans. This was a no brainer.

b0ng
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't have a source other than some forums, but here is the supposed 2nd team all-pro:

Offense
QB: Drew Brees, New Orleans.
RB: Ray Rice, Baltimore; Steven Jackson, St. Louis.
FB: Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore.
TE: Antonio Gates, San Diego.
WR: Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis; Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona.
T: Michael Roos, Tennessee; Jake Long, Miami.
G: Logan Mankins, New England; Kris Dielman, San Diego.
C: Andre Gurode, Dallas.
K: David Akers, Philadelphia.
KR: DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia.
Defense
DE: Trent Cole, Philadelphia; Julius Peppers, Carolina.
DT: Darnell Dockett, Arizona; Haloti Ngata, Baltimore.
OLB: Brian Cushing, Houston; LaMarr Woodley, Pittsburgh.
ILB: David Harris, New York Jets; Jon Beason, Carolina.
CB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland; Asante Samuel, Philadelphia, and Leon Hall, Cincinnati (tie).
S: Brian Dawkins, Denver; Ed Reed, Baltimore, and Nick Collins, Green Bay (tie).
P: Andy Lee, San Francisco, and Donnie Jones, St. Louis (tie).

Congrats Mr. Crushing.

False Start
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Way to go Dre! Like there was any doubt. :cool:

No More 8-8's
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Here is the link of all the winners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815b8c9a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I cant believe they put OLB of 3-4 grouped with 4-3 OLB. Ware and Dumervill will get the most votes, surely do the sack numbers. Very interesting Brian Cushing had the 3rd most votes in OLB only behind glorified DE's

eriadoc
01-14-2010, 12:24 PM
So Willis, Harris, and Beason are all more highly regarded than Ryans?

Goatcheese
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I like how Andre Johnson was a footnote.

"Look at all these great All-Pros!

Oh, and also Andre Johnson."

b0ng
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Here is the link of all the winners.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815b8c9a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I cant believe they put OLB of 3-4 grouped with 4-3 OLB. Ware and Dumervill will get the most votes, surely do the sack numbers. Very interesting Brian Cushing had the 3rd most votes in OLB only behind glorified DE's

I don't like it either, but you can't discount the skill of guys like Ware and Dumerville because they play a position that generates more sacks/less tackles. As long as 3-4 guys can dominate stats like that, they will get the nod unless a 4-3 guy is simply outstanding (And hey, Briggs and Dansby have both been to probowls at least in the 4-3 OLB role.)

No More 8-8's
01-14-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't like it either, but you can't discount the skill of guys like Ware and Dumerville because they play a position that generates more sacks/less tackles. As long as 3-4 guys can dominate stats like that, they will get the nod unless a 4-3 guy is simply outstanding (And hey, Briggs and Dansby have both been to probowls at least in the 4-3 OLB role.)

But really how good of a season can 4-3 linebacker have in order to crack the top two. does he have to wait for a bad year in sacks in order to get some recognition.

I mean really, how good of a year would Brian Cushing have to have?

b0ng
01-14-2010, 12:54 PM
But really how good of a season can 4-3 linebacker have in order to crack the top two. does he have to wait for a bad year in sacks in order to get some recognition.

I mean really, how good of a year would Brian Cushing have to have?

Well since he pretty much led the league in terms of being a 4-3 OLB this year, I'd guess that. I don't think he has to wait for a bad year, but in order to crack the top two, he will have to rack up huge stats across the board to overshadow a guy who got 17 sacks in a season.

Also, if the Texans (miraculously) had a #1 Defense and Cushing had the same year as he had his rookie year, I can say that he'd probably crack the top 2.

Thorn
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Congrats to the best wide reciever in the game today. :)

Mr teX
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
So Willis, Harris, and Beason are all more highly regarded than Ryans?

uhh yeah...I love what Meco brings to the table but all of the above mentioned guys are certified beasts.

Joe Texan
01-14-2010, 01:29 PM
How is phillip Rivers better than Schaub, Winning I suppose

Congrats to Andre and a good Showing for Brian and Demeco:clap:

BigBull17
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
uhh yeah...I love what Meco brings to the table but all of the above mentioned guys are certified beasts.

Glad we took Okoye over Willis...Kill me...

gtexan02
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Kinda glad Mario wasnt on that list. He got ito the probowl on name recognition, rather than a good year. Hopefully this lights a fire in him

powerfuldragon
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
damn straight.

4Texans
01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Congrats Andre!

gtexan02
01-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Pollar got a vote in Safeties. Way to go Bernard!

Must have been a Ravens fan who was happy to have Welker out lol

infantrycak
01-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Kinda glad Mario wasnt on that list. He got ito the probowl on name recognition, rather than a good year. Hopefully this lights a fire in him

Really, just name recognition? He was 4th in the AFC in sacks .5 behind Mathis who had a bunch less tackles. He was 1st in the AFC in QB hits, 4th in the AFC in QB pressures and played the run very well. Did he have a down year in some ways, yes but overall be became a well rounded DE this year and was in the top DEs in the AFC. It wasn't just reputation.

Dread-Head
01-14-2010, 01:45 PM
He's the best receiver in the NFL...HE BETTER be on the list!

BigBull17
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Really, just name recognition? He was 4th in the AFC in sacks .5 behind Mathis who had a bunch less tackles. He was 1st in the AFC in QB hits, 4th in the AFC in QB pressures and played the run very well. Did he have a down year in some ways, yes but overall be became a well rounded DE this year and was in the top DEs in the AFC. It wasn't just reputation.

That's what bugged me when McClain was talking shit about Mario for making the Pro Bowl. He didn't have the gaudy numbers, but he didn't have a horrible year. It could have been better, but for damn sure could have been worse.

disaacks3
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Glad we took Okoye over Willis...Kill me...
Hindsight is 20/20 and Meco/Willis are BOTH MLBs. One would have to be playing out-of-position to keep both.

b0ng
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM

B-b-b-b-but SACKS!

No More 8-8's
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
That's what bugged me when McClain was talking shit about Mario for making the Pro Bowl. He didn't have the gaudy numbers, but he didn't have a horrible year. It could have been better, but for damn sure could have been worse.

McClain is a joke. Insert funny fat joke here.

gtexan02
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM

I never said he had a bad year, I just dont think it was as good as he was getting credit for, and I thought that Schobel got snubbed. I think he got the nod becuase of name recognition, similar to the way Brady had good numbers and got in over Schaub who had bette rnumbers.

Mario Williams - 43 tackles, 9 sacks, 0 PDs, 0 INT, 0 TD, 2 FF
Aaron Schobel - 56 tackles, 10 sacks, 5 PDs, 1 INT, 1 TD, 3 FF

You also have to ask yourself when the voting for probowl took place. The balloting opens in October and runs through december (I think)

Mario finished the year strong, with 5 sacks, 12 tackles, and a FF in the last 6 games (11/29 to 1/04). Usually players who finish strong don't get voted in because players who are having good years earlier get too large of a head start.

When probowl voting began, Williams wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at his position.

No idea on qb pressures, hits, or hurries, so maybe that makes up for it.

Again, Im not saying Williams had a bad year, only that I was surprised he got voted in given some other competition at the position and how slowly he started the year

BigBull17
01-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 and Meco/Willis are BOTH MLBs. One would have to be playing out-of-position to keep both.

No hind sight, I wanted Willis damn near the whole time leading up to the draft and was pissed we didn't take him. I think one of them would have been OK at OLB.

SheTexan
01-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Congrats to the best wide reciever in the game today. :)

AND HE'S OUR'S!!!!!:heart: Fantastic being a TEXAN fan and holding bragging rights to AJ!!!!

infantrycak
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Again, Im not saying Williams had a bad year, only that I was surprised he got voted in given some other competition at the position and how slowly he started the year

Schobel doesn't exactly lack in recognition having gone to the PB twice before. Buffalo sucked against the run this year. Between pressures and hits Schobel had 30 and Mario had 46. I'll take 16 extra pressures/hits in exchange for 1 sack. Clearly Mario can do better than what he did this year but he was still a top DE - that was my point.

BigBull17
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Schobel doesn't exactly lack in recognition having gone to the PB twice before. Buffalo sucked against the run this year. Between pressures and hits Schobel had 30 and Mario had 46. I'll take 16 extra pressures/hits in exchange for 1 sack. Clearly Mario can do better than what he did this year but he was still a top DE - that was my point.

He beat out Mario that year when Mario had 14 sacks, and he had 2.5, if I remember correctly.

HOU-TEX
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I never said he had a bad year, I just dont think it was as good as he was getting credit for, and I thought that Schobel got snubbed. I think he got the nod becuase of name recognition, similar to the way Brady had good numbers and got in over Schaub who had bette rnumbers.

Mario Williams - 43 tackles, 9 sacks, 0 PDs, 0 INT, 0 TD, 2 FF
Aaron Schobel - 56 tackles, 10 sacks, 5 PDs, 1 INT, 1 TD, 3 FF

You also have to ask yourself when the voting for probowl took place. The balloting opens in October and runs through december (I think)

Mario finished the year strong, with 5 sacks, 12 tackles, and a FF in the last 6 games (11/29 to 1/04). Usually players who finish strong don't get voted in because players who are having good years earlier get too large of a head start.

When probowl voting began, Williams wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at his position.

I agree that Mario had an average year compared to his previous 2, but for discussion sake, saying Schobel was snubbed for Mario is incorrect.

You say Mario finished strong, well, so did Schobel with 4 sacks, 14 tckles, 1 PD, and 2 FF. 3 of his sacks came in week 16 against Atl.

Plus, like Icak said, Schobel is more of a pass rusher than a complete DE like Mario.

Texecutioner
01-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Funny, I just saw Andre Johnson last night at Grand Lux Cafe. Lol!

Congrats to AJ. This is no surprise though. He was the best WR this year no question. Him and Fitz are neck and neck as the two best in the entire league. AJ, you are the shit!

Vinny
01-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Cushing made second team all pro (http://www.playerpress.com/articles/7001-houston-texans-linebacker-brian-cushing-named-second-team-all-pro)

eriadoc
01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Glad Cushing made it. I haven't seen enough of Beason to compare him to Ryans, so I don't know. But it seems like MLBs in the 3-4 are going to be able to outshine a MLB in a 4-3 any day of the week, assuming both are top notch MLBs. I don't think Harris is better than Ryans, though he's very good, and I could go either way on Willis, though I haven't watched him as frequently as Ryans, obviously. I think if Ryans were in that 3-4, he'd look even better, and we all know how good he is.

But I'll defer to those who know better, I guess. I still like Ryans better, as an admitted homer! :)

b0ng
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Glad Cushing made it. I haven't seen enough of Beason to compare him to Ryans, so I don't know. But it seems like MLBs in the 3-4 are going to be able to outshine a MLB in a 4-3 any day of the week, assuming both are top notch MLBs. I don't think Harris is better than Ryans, though he's very good, and I could go either way on Willis, though I haven't watched him as frequently as Ryans, obviously. I think if Ryans were in that 3-4, he'd look even better, and we all know how good he is.

But I'll defer to those who know better, I guess. I still like Ryans better, as an admitted homer! :)

I think what really killed 'Meco was having no pass coverage stats to speak of. Also, Beason plays in a 4-3 and is freaking awesome at it. Unfortunately, as far as MLB/ILB's go, Demeco just didn't have all of the extra stats the media loves (INT's, Sacks, PDefs, FF), Cushing got all of that.

JB
01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Cushing made second team all pro (http://www.playerpress.com/articles/7001-houston-texans-linebacker-brian-cushing-named-second-team-all-pro)

This is news to me:He played through cracked ribs with a flak jacket the last two games

TEXANS84
01-14-2010, 07:06 PM
This is news to me:

Does anyone know how painful a rib injury is, let alone cracked ribs?
The guy is a trooper. Let him rest as much as he wants during the week..as long as he sleeps in the hyperbaric chamber I'm cool with it.

Goatcheese
01-14-2010, 07:10 PM
This is news to me:

He clearly forgot to drink some milk so he would be ok.

Thorn
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know how painful a rib injury is, let alone cracked ribs?
The guy is a trooper. Let him rest as much as he wants during the week..as long as he sleeps in the hyperbaric chamber I'm cool with it.

I had a cracked rib once, it was horrible. Had to sleep sitting in a recliner, because I couldn't lay down in bed.

infantrycak
01-14-2010, 08:34 PM
I think what really killed 'Meco was having no pass coverage stats to speak of. Also, Beason plays in a 4-3 and is freaking awesome at it. Unfortunately, as far as MLB/ILB's go, Demeco just didn't have all of the extra stats the media loves (INT's, Sacks, PDefs, FF), Cushing got all of that.

That's pretty much it. Bush had DeMeco playing sideline to sideline clean-up guy which isn't a bad thing for the overall D but gets him a lot of assists and not too many flashy stats. DeMeco didn't have the stats this year but he was a beast and even Texans fans are selling him short. Thankfully opposing coaches and players know enough to vote him into the pro-bowl.

eriadoc
01-14-2010, 10:36 PM
That's pretty much it. Bush had DeMeco playing sideline to sideline clean-up guy which isn't a bad thing for the overall D but gets him a lot of assists and not too many flashy stats. DeMeco didn't have the stats this year but he was a beast and even Texans fans are selling him short. Thankfully opposing coaches and players know enough to vote him into the pro-bowl.

Like I said, I'll defer to those who might know better about the aforementioned LBs, but I know from what I see that Ryans is a freakin' beast. I think he has the best instincts of any LB I've seen in a long time - probably since the '80s.

Goatcheese
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
DeMeco ranked 5th among all ILB, and was 2nd in the AFC in stops. I think that is a much more important stat for judging a MLB than base tackles, because it measures how many tackles are made around the line of scrimmage instead of 10 yards downfield.

b0ng
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
DeMeco ranked 5th among all ILB, and was 2nd in the AFC in stops. I think that is a much more important stat for judging a MLB than base tackles, because it measures how many tackles are made around the line of scrimmage instead of 10 yards downfield.

Again, it was probably the fact that he pretty much put up 0's for all other stats outside of tackles. No picks, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, no deflections no fumble recoveries, no TD's. Yes, it's retarded that having 2 or a 3 in some of those categories would have easily put him as AP, but when choosing the best 4 ILB/MLB players in the league, the sports writers are going to look at all those stats and pick the guy that makes them go "LOOKIT DEEZ NUMBAHS RIGH HEA".

Also, unlike the Pro Bowl, being in the AFC or NFC has no bearing on whether you get voted in.

A-Mar
01-15-2010, 01:38 AM
congrats to Dre

wagonhed
01-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Again, it was probably the fact that he pretty much put up 0's for all other stats outside of tackles. No picks, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, no deflections no fumble recoveries, no TD's. Yes, it's retarded that having 2 or a 3 in some of those categories would have easily put him as AP, but when choosing the best 4 ILB/MLB players in the league, the sports writers are going to look at all those stats and pick the guy that makes them go "LOOKIT DEEZ NUMBAHS RIGH HEA".

Also, unlike the Pro Bowl, being in the AFC or NFC has no bearing on whether you get voted in.

To be fair, these are the numbers that told people Cushing was truly great.

mexican_texan
01-15-2010, 02:16 AM
How is phillip Rivers better than Schaub, Winning I suppose
Watch the Chargers play.

b0ng
01-15-2010, 02:47 AM
To be fair, these are the numbers that told people Cushing was truly great.

Yes. Demeco did get a PB nod though, so I don't think his abilities are completely lost on the unwashed masses outside of Houston.

silvrhand
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Mario was called out all year for his "lack of effort" it clearly showed in several games. I think we all know that Mario had some kind of issue this year, whether it was off the field or on the field it showed. He even mentioned it in the interview later in the year.

He needs to step it up next year, especially considering the fact he's a #1 pick, and he has high expectations to live up to. 9 sacks as a DE doesn't do it.

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
He needs to step it up next year, especially considering the fact he's a #1 pick

Like the Texans once being an expansion team, the fact that he was #1 needs to go by the roadside.

9 sacks as a DE doesn't do it.

Yeah, given that he was 4th in the AFC it does. Of course it would be nice if he would get more but he is a more complete DE than any of the guys above him even this year.

HOU-TEX
01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Like the Texans once being an expansion team, the fact that he was #1 needs to go by the roadside.

Yeah, given that he was 4th in the AFC it does. Of course it would be nice if he would get more but he is a more complete DE than any of the guys above him even this year.

Yep, I think a lot of people tend to over-look that. Mario plays the run better than most of the top pass rushers in the league.

I have no problem with Mario. He's only going to get better. People that are baggin on Mario need to pan towards the inside of the Dline. Okoye? Cody? Zgonina? Robinson? They improved from last year, but remain the weakness of the front 7.

silvrhand
01-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Sigh, people have such low expectations for this time, when is it going to start that we start holding our players accountable to be the best? Who cares about ranking in the AFC seriously why does that matter? Have you ever heard someone go oh man he rips up the AFC, too bad he's 10th overall for a #1 pick.

I'm not just knocking his stats either, it was obvious there were some games where he just looked invisible, not whether it be he has no pain tolerance or what but when you get called out by your own team, and it shows on the field. Yah something isn't right.

silvrhand
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Yep, I think a lot of people tend to over-look that. Mario plays the run better than most of the top pass rushers in the league.

I have no problem with Mario. He's only going to get better. People that are baggin on Mario need to pan towards the inside of the Dline. Okoye? Cody? Zgonina? Robinson? They improved from last year, but remain the weakness of the front 7.

I agree 100% that our interior line needs to improve, but mario is the veteran on the line, the one that should be leading by example, and to me he just didn't do that this year.

b0ng
01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Sigh, people have such low expectations for this time, when is it going to start that we start holding our players accountable to be the best? Who cares about ranking in the AFC seriously why does that matter? Have you ever heard someone go oh man he rips up the AFC, too bad he's 10th overall for a #1 pick.

I'm not just knocking his stats either, it was obvious there were some games where he just looked invisible, not whether it be he has no pain tolerance or what but when you get called out by your own team, and it shows on the field. Yah something isn't right.

Sigh, why do people always hold players to their draft position from years ago rather than what they have shown themselves capable of before? It's like people can't get over the fact that a player was chosen in the first round therefore he is a bust unless he gets 38 sacks a year and revolutionizes the DE position.

As far as Mario being invisible, sorry bro but he's disappeared in many games before this season. Yes, Mario can have a game where he puts up straight 0's.

Quick who's stat line is this:

NE W 35-34 1 1 0 0 0 0.0 -- 0 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

Did this player disappear? Are there any DE's in the league who will straight up dominate 16 games?

Nobody is accusing Williams of being perfect but yeah, there are people accusing him of being the #2 - #3 DE in the AFC. Sorry if people are fine with that but, as a fan, I'm not nit pick one of the better performers on our team to death.

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Spare me the low expectations tripe. My opinion is Mario in an off year was one of the best if not the best complete package DEs in the AFC. That is totally independent of expectations. Yes he can do better but that doesn't make him bad compared to everyone else. And AFC counts cuz that is the conference we play in.

Vinny
01-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Spare me the low expectations tripe. My opinion is Mario in an off year was one of the best if not the best complete package DEs in the AFC. That is totally independent of expectations. Yes he can do better but that doesn't make him bad compared to everyone else. And AFC counts cuz that is the conference we play in.
I think people are down on him because he pretty much admitted he didn't play that hard all the time this year. It sure didn't help my perception of him.

infantrycak
01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I think people are down on him because he pretty much admitted he didn't play that hard all the time this year. It sure didn't help my perception of him.

And I certainly don't appreciate him not putting in 100% effort if that is the case but his play was still top tier.

Texecutioner
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM

He had that reputation all the way back to college. That was the biggest knock on him. Mario is overrated. He's a very good DE, but he's not as good as some people try and make him out to be. Many other DE's played better than he did this season and he was expected by many to be the top DE in the entire NFL.

Vinny
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
And I certainly don't appreciate him not putting in 100% effort if that is the case but his play was still top tier.
good enough to get a good seat in front of the TV for the playoffs. I'd still take him before most other ends, but its sure hard to pull for guys who don't give it their all and are comfortable telling us he didn't give us everything he had. Leaves an empty feeling for the ticket buyers methinks.

b0ng
01-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Source (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9335/revis-labels-t-o-moss-slouches)

Deion Sanders went one-on-one with New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis for a segment on "NFL GameDay Morning" and conducted an interesting name-association quiz. Revis had a couple of interesting responses for future Hall of Famers Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

Revis
Deion Sanders: Two words or less, when I call out a name, tell me what you think.

Darrelle Revis: OK.

Sanders: T.O.

Revis: Slouch.

Sanders: Randy Moss.

Revis: Probably say slouch, too.

Sanders: Chad Ochocinco.

Revis: Competitor.

Sanders: Steve Smith.

Revis: Competitor.

Sanders: Andre Johnson.

Revis: Beast.

Basically AJ owns, bye.

wagonhed
01-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Source (http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/9335/revis-labels-t-o-moss-slouches)

Basically AJ owns, bye.

Haha... that's awesome.