PDA

View Full Version : Dennison Accepts

Pages : [1] 2

SAMURAITEXAN
01-04-2010, 04:42 AM
It is more than likely Shanahan will be joining his dad in DC. Who would be our OC candidate for next year? Your thoughts?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Mike Munchak

Malloy
01-04-2010, 06:14 AM
I want the offensive version of Frank Bush! :)

TimeKiller
01-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Do any of our current coaches have sons?

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Kubiak. Just like every other year.

Thorn
01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
I just don't see Big Shanny putting himself in a postion to be accused of nepotism by hiring his son to such an important position on a team. Just don't see it.

I do see, but not next year, Little Shanny being pursued by other teams as their OC. As a OC, Little Shanny is still a bit new and needs one more year before he is fully marketable.

PHAROAH
01-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I agree with Thorn and I think that he will get a bump in pay and he will stay with the Texans!!!

El Tejano
01-04-2010, 09:20 AM
If I were Kyle, I would remember how quickly that owner gets rid of coordinators and just stay where I am at. Right now you got a pretty darn good offense going here. You get in the playoffs next season, a team will want you to be the OC somewhere.

Bubbajwp
01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Kyle would get 0 credit for the offense if he worked under his dad. Most people dont even give him credit being behind Kubiak. He should definetly stay a few more years. Then go out on his own.

Thorn
01-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree with Thorn and I think that he will get a bump in pay and he will stay with the Texans!!!

For now I am pleased with going into next season with the same coachs at the top. Kubes, Shanny and Bush are a heck of a lot better top three than a lot of teams have. Could we do better? Yes, but for now I'm good with what we have.

No More 8-8's
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I kind of agree with you, but i think the question is , "if Shanahan leaves this year, do we have any replacements in line in our organization?"

Thorn
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM
I kind of agree with you, but i think the question is , "if Shanahan leaves this year, do we have any replacements in line in our organization?"

Well, first off, I don't think Shanahan leaves, but if he does I'm sure there are OCs out there to be had this off season. Kubes and Gibbs still run the offense for the most part anyway, so I'm not worried about it. Now, if Gibbs and Shanahan both leave, I might worry a bit, but I think Kubiak will find someone to come in and run the system the way he wants it run.

As to an inside promotion, I am not familiar enough with the lower tier coachs to answer that. I think they'd go outside the organization if both Gibbs and Shannan leave.

Goldensilence
01-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Yup.

Kyle would get 0 credit for the offense if he worked under his dad. Most people dont even give him credit being behind Kubiak. He should definetly stay a few more years. Then go out on his own.

Why should he? According to various reports the only full game he called last year was the finale with Chicago and that at various times this year ( we still don't have a real good clue about how much or when) Gary has re-taken play calling duties.

What makes anyone think he really is even ready for a real OC gig, the questionable play calls at times (Half back pass anyone?), and going into a shell in the second half?

You know honestly why would he or Gary, for that matter, want to leave Houston? Really it's the best gig in the NFL. Anything good that happens on the team you get credit for. When things go bad, even if you try to pin it on yourself, it goes on the players.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I agree with Thorn, I don't see Shanny Jr. going any where yet. Gibbs, on the other hand, might finally retire. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be too upset about it if he were to leave. I've been unimpressed at our Oline play this season even after two of our G's went down. Maybe it's time to update our ZBS. Maybe Benton and Mathews alone can make it happen?

steelbtexan
01-04-2010, 10:36 AM

Bob McNair doesn't give anybody a bump in pay.

Look at his track record with asst. coaches. They're some of the lowest paid asst. coaches in the NFL.

Plus with a lockout looming it would be crazy to re-up coaches and have to pay them during a lockout.

The lockout is one of the main reasons Kubes was brought back for the final year of his contract.

If the Texans make the playoffs next year great Kubes gets the credit and McNair looks very smart. If they dont make the playoffs Kubes gets fired and McNair doesn't have to pay a coaching staff during the lockout.

It's a win-win situation for McNair.

CharloTex
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I think Kris Brown will be available. And Chris Brown.

Norg
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I would hope lil shanny stays

mariowillshine15
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Mike Leach so he can lock Chris Brown in an eletrical closet and never let him out!

D-Frank
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Mike Leach so he can lock Chris Brown in an eletrical closet and never let him out!

haha, thats funny

DiehardChris
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Chron on Twitter has confirmed Kyle will leave Texans once dad returns to coaching.

50boys
01-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Chron on Twitter has confirmed Kyle will leave Texans once dad returns to coaching.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6797865.html

confirmed

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
^^http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9990/emotarghal7.gif

Source (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6797865.html)

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he will join father, Mike Shanahan, if he returns to coaching. He's expected to be hired by Washington.

“It's going to be very hard to leave because of everything we've accomplished,” Shanahan said. “I work with a lot of good people, but I've always wanted to work with my dad. If he comes back, I think the timing will be right.

Kubes in the house it is then.

Section516
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
So, what high end O cords are there on the market?

Charlie Weis comes to mind...

Any others?

Hagar
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Jim Zorn comes to mind.

Zorn was the QB coach at Seattle during the Holmgen years and was originally hired to be the OC for Washington prior to being screwed by Snyder.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Any others?

Also, I don't see any similarities in philosphy with Weis.

Kubiak has never not had an O-coord so the imagination says he will hire somebody. I'm wondering if Kubiak is asking Alex Gibbs how he's feeling. Not that I want Gibbs as an OC, but the mind does think that Kubiak will go to somebody he knows since this year should be very important for him and his future.

Drew_Smoke
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Mouse Davis, John Jenkins and Ed Biles are all available per some loser's Twitter post.

Confirmed....

Hervoyel
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Of course the silver lining in all of this is that if Shanahan leaves and Gibbs retires Gary can't be held responsible for the team falling short of the playoffs next year. Everybody knows it takes a new OC at least two years to get his "playoff legs" under him with a new team. Combine the acclimation period (probably a slow start to 2010) with even one injury and we'll be lucky to get back around .500. Doing so will be an act of coaching genius if I ever saw one.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 01:40 PM
From the link provided:

Coach Gary Kubiak will be hiring his fourth offensive coordinator in five years.

OUCH!

Nawzer
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM
The next OC will have to have the same kind of philosophy that Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan have. I won't be surprised if another Denver coach joins us.

Hervoyel
01-04-2010, 01:44 PM
From the link provided:

Coach Gary Kubiak will be hiring his fourth offensive coordinator in five years.

OUCH!

I see a bright little shiny excuse forming right there!

Hooston Texan
01-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Any others?

We'll have no shortage of candidates. Top-ranked passing offenses that feature only players in their 20s don't suddenly become available very often. Guys will be beating down Kube's door for the right to sign their name to our offensive product. Hopefully, we'll find someone who can improve the running attack without screwing around with the aerial show.

As for Kyle, he's about to learn a hard lesson about coaching offenses: he's only as good as his QB. If he thinks he can make Jason Campbell into anything approaching Schaub, he's kidding himself. If they intend to draft their QB, that's a real crapshoot.

Norg
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Iam sure Kubes will be calling more play next year anywayz

Lets not forget he was a former OC

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
We'll have no shortage of candidates. Top-ranked passing offenses that feature only players in their 20s don't suddenly become available very often. Guys will be beating down Kube's door for the right to sign their name to our offensive product. Hopefully, we'll find someone who can improve the running attack without screwing around with the aerial show.

As for Kyle, he's about to learn a hard lesson about coaching offenses: he's only as good as his QB. If he thinks he can make Jason Campbell into anything approaching Schaub, he's kidding himself. If they intend to draft their QB, that's a real crapshoot.

Yeah. I am pretty sure that you can land a pretty good OC from just having AJ alone. The offense has some zits but overall it has been a topflight passing offense for the past couple years. Sherman was a veteran coach, Calhoun was a Denver guy, and Shanahan was about as wet behind the ears as you could get.

I'm sure whoever it is, he will be wrong though.

Goldensilence
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM

I wonder if Mike plans to hire him straight up as his OC or to a position coach next year. Should be interesting to say the least.

There is going to be some pretty good talent available as possible OC next year. I don't really expect, at this point however, any of them will get serious consideration. Unfortunately for Gary I don't think anyone on his current staff could make the jump to OC, so it means he'll have to do an actual search. I'm probably thinking someone who could be more of talking piece like Kyle was, unless Gary's ready to let go of control of the offense.

However, If I am hopefully proven wrong and we do bring in a strong willed OC, this team could take a bigger step forward then I imagined had Kyle remained.

Iam sure Kubes will be calling more play next year anywayz

Lets not forget he was a former OC

Oh god how can we forget?

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
So ironic that Kubiak's entire resume is being the OC for Shanahan's Broncos for all those years but he can't seem to find a loyal sidekick for himself.

I don't really think its going to hurt us all that much. Schaub should be borderline OC material by now and as long as Gary is here all he needs is another mind to bounce ideas off of.

Thorn
01-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, I guess i was wrong about little Shanny leaving. LOL

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree with Thorn, I don't see Shanny Jr. going any where yet. Gibbs, on the other hand, might finally retire. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be too upset about it if he were to leave. I've been unimpressed at our Oline play this season even after two of our G's went down. Maybe it's time to update our ZBS. Maybe Benton and Mathews alone can make it happen?

You're a moron! Don't you ever get anything right? Good grief, man!

Thorn
01-04-2010, 02:33 PM

Are you going to negative rep yourself? :lol:

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Are you going to negative rep yourself? :lol:

:spit: I would if I could. The dude's obviously off his rocker.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I see a bright little shiny excuse forming right there!

Not from me you won't. It just never dawned on me that this was the case.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM

That's funny man!!

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree with the Munchak pick . Kubiak's the designer of the pass plays and Munch and Mathews do the blocking schemes . Kubiak goes back to play calling . Those guys groom my choice for the 1st round , Iupati along with Caldwell , Winston , Brown , and ? .

gtexan02
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
What a stupid move by Shannahan. If he stayed another year and we had another successful offensive attack, he'd be in line for a big promotion.

Instead he's going to one of the worst offensive teams in the league with no QB, poor WRs, and a cloudy running back situation

Bubbajwp
01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
What a stupid move by Shannahan. If he stayed another year and we had another successful offensive attack, he'd be in line for a big promotion.

Instead he's going to one of the worst offensive teams in the league with no QB, poor WRs, and a cloudy running back situation

Agreed horrible decision on his part IMO.

Tailgate
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Agreed. But the purpose here is for him to go and work and build with his dad. I guess he could have waited just ONE year though...

b0ng
01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
It's probably been a dream of Kyle's to have the headset on during a game his dad was coaching. Can't fault him for that.

Serious post: Make Bruce Matthews call Munchak immediatley.

4Texans
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Yep, other than the opportunity to work with his father, it's not a good move for Kyle.

TheRealJoker
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
There's a lot of good candidates out there. I've wanted this team to add quality veteran leadership on the field for the longest time. I was a bit upset that Kubiak decided to go with coordinators who had never previously held the job before. However, Frank Bush appears to be doing pretty well after a brief acclimation period (Cushing had to shake off rust and we didn't get Pollard in until game 4...)

On offense, I don't think experience is as big of an issue because its Kubiak's area of expertise and the OC we have will not have as much control as other OCs around the league.

With that in mind I think we should promote our WR coach Larry Kirksey to OC:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=17

He's done a heck of a job with our WRs and I think we would have a better chance of avoiding a "slow start" with him as OC since he has already had 3 years to get to know the players on the roster.

That is my pick if we promote from within.

euro-Texan
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Kubiak is on 610 speaking about Kyle in the past tence so I guess its a done deal that he's following his dad to Washington

spurstexanstros
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Here is a thought....never gonna happen though....

Mike Leach as OC.....Imagine what he and Kubiak and Gibbs could cook up with our weapons on offense....We would hang 60 on teams.

In reality...I would like to see Brian Billick as OC..and if Kubiak is not the guy after next year...then there you have it a HC candidate ready to go.

barrett
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
TC had a good point about Brian Pariani being a very logical step. He's been with Kubiak since SF and through Den. Not to mention he's obviously done a very impressive job with Daniels and Dreesen. I do think it will be someone from within. I think you can expect that kind of decision making from this organization for years to come. Keeping it in the family maintains cohesion.

TerribleToro
01-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Jim Zorn, of course!

SheTexan
01-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, I guess i was wrong about little Shanny leaving. LOL

So was I Thorn. Dummy me for believing him when he said he wanted to do his own thing and not shadow his Dad. Just used the Texans for his training ground. BOOOOO to him and I hope the Redskins SUCK under the Shanny's!!!

Texans_Chick
01-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Chron article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6798435.html)

The four candidates to replace Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan are Tennessee offensive line coach Mike Munchak, Denver offensive line coach Rick Dennison, Atlanta quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and Kansas City offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

"I want somebody with me I'm comfortable with calling the plays," Kubiak said. ""We're going to spend a lot of time working together, and we have to be on the same page. He's going to be a guy I'll be dealing with every day."

Kubiak worked with Dennison, Musgrave and Gailey in Denver. He's never worked with Munchak, who has spent his entire 28-year playing and coaching career the Oilers/Titans.

Munchak has never been an offensive coordinator. He's coached the offensive line since he retired after the 1993 season.

Out of those guys, I think Dennison and Musgrave might be good fits. If Shanahan goes Redskins, I think both the Texans and Redskins may want to raid the Denver coaches some more.

I don't see Gailey, and though I'd like Munchak to be away from the Titans, I'm not sure he is a good fit with Kubiak. I think they want to avoid the Kubiak-Sherman sort of thing again--where the OC has a different philosophy than the head coach. That's how I see the "same page" sort of comment, and why Kubiak was very happy getting Shanahan as a replacement for Sherman--because he knew the system very well.

Also, I would suggest Brian Pariani. He knows that offense as well as anyone on the Texans. Pariani is very close to Kubiak and a sensible guy.

bckey
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I would be suprised if it wasn't Dennison or Musgrave. Kubiak doesn't like to get out of his comfort zone.

Tailgate
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
SUX to lose Kyle. Dammit.

euro-Texan
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
It's probably been a dream of Kyle's to have the headset on during a game his dad was coaching. Can't fault him for that.

Serious post: Make Bruce Matthews call Munchak immediatley.

Good thing his dad isn't a garbage man. Then it would be a real crappy decision. (nothing against garbage men)

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I wasn't around (a fan at least) during the Oiler glory days but Munchak and Matthews together on this staff sounds great to me. Plus it weakens the Titans. Different philosophy or not they field one of the finest O-lines year in and year out.

Victor B
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Someone call up John Jenkins. There's a powerful offense for you.

TexanSam
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Agreed. But the purpose here is for him to go and work and build with his dad. I guess he could have waited just ONE year though...

But if Mike Shanahan's offense in Washington does well his first season, would he just fire the OC to have Kyle take his place? Would he be willing to work as a positions coach just to work with his dad? If he wants to work with Shanahan Sr then this is the time to do it.

Hervoyel
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
TC had a good point about Brian Pariani being a very logical step. He's been with Kubiak since SF and through Den. Not to mention he's obviously done a very impressive job with Daniels and Dreesen. I do think it will be someone from within. I think you can expect that kind of decision making from this organization for years to come. Keeping it in the family maintains cohesion.

If not someone from within then somebody he has a history with. I think Kubiak has never really stopped being our OC for the most part so losing Shanahan won't make much of a difference to the Texans.

playa465
01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Chron article (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6798435.html)

Out of those guys, I think Dennison and Musgrave might be good fits. If Shanahan goes Redskins, I think both the Texans and Redskins may want to raid the Denver coaches some more.

I don't see Gailey, and though I'd like Munchak to be away from the Titans, I'm not sure he is a good fit with Kubiak. I think they want to avoid the Kubiak-Sherman sort of thing again--where the OC has a different philosophy than the head coach. That's how I see the "same page" sort of comment, and why Kubiak was very happy getting Shanahan as a replacement for Sherman--because he knew the system very well.

Also, I would suggest Brian Pariani. He knows that offense as well as anyone on the Texans. Pariani is very close to Kubiak and a sensible guy.

DING DING DING!!! I agree with this and slightly like Musgrave over Dennison b/c of his experience with Schaub

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Has anyone considered just not hiring an offensive coordinator like the Patriots did when McDaniels left? We don't HAVE to have an OC if Kubiak is gonna take over the play-calling which I assume he'll do going into a lame duck year (no extension, must save his own ass)

NitroGSXR
01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm sure whoever it is, he will be wrong though.
I bet he promotes Chick Harris...

gary
01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Me.

awtysst
01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Any others?

Whats Mike Martz up to these days? With good players he was able to put together the greatest show on turf. Imagine what he could do with our team!

treduke
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
my next door neighbor's brother who's a douche said earlier
"how 'bout mike leach as yall oc once shanny jr leaves?"
i hate him

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
i hate him

Look ... he's a hot water bottle not a douche .

gary
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Look ... he's a hot water bottle not a douche .McLady is a hot water bottle. LOL

mexican_texan
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Mike Munchak
I'd be happy with that. Then Munchak and Matthews could take over the team.

Do any of our current coaches have sons?
You mean our starting Free Safety next year?

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
McLady is a hot water bottle. LOL

Here he is , in uniform .

http://www.jansenmedical.net/images/T/t-1350-1009.jpeg

Wolf
01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
left top button :heh:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/detail-page/B001UU1WRE.01.lg.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd be happy with that. Then Munchak and Matthews could take over the team.

Yo Mike , you make the call .

http://www.tasteoftexas.com/Images/clubs/clubshead.jpg

OR

http://possumfarming.com/Pics1/Possum%20Uncle%20bill%20bob%201.jpg

Jackie Chiles
01-04-2010, 08:56 PM
One thing that bugs me a bit, the article states: "Kubiak didn't disclose any names on his list, but at the top are, in no apparent order, Munchak, Dennison, Musgrave and Gailey."

If Kubiak didn't disclose any names whose list is this?

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
One thing that bugs me a bit, the article states: "Kubiak didn't disclose any names on his list, but at the top are, in no apparent order, Munchak, Dennison, Musgrave and Gailey."

If Kubiak didn't disclose any names whose list is this?

Lol check the list for fecal stains because the media pulled those names out of their ass

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Has anyone considered just not hiring an offensive coordinator like the Patriots did when McDaniels left? We don't HAVE to have an OC if Kubiak is gonna take over the play-calling which I assume he'll do going into a lame duck year (no extension, must save his own ass)

If past action prove to be a predictor, I am guessing that the guys he wanted before Rick Dennison will end up as OC.

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
If past action prove to be a predictor, I am guessing that the guys he wanted before Rick Dennison will end up as OC.

Whats bizarre is the contract the OC will sign, why would we give an OC a contract thats more secure than the head coaches? What OC will want to sign a 1 year deal? All signs point to it being an internal hire unless they just don't hire an OC at all

Hagar
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM

If Kubiak didn't disclose any names whose list is this?Its McClain's list.

McClain was just on 610 and stated the Munchak was a dark horse in this race with 2 strikes against him. 1st, he's still under contract with the Titians & 2nd, Bud Adams is unlikely to release him from said contract. Apparently, Bud doesn't like us very much and won't let any of his coaches come over here. Oh well.

McClain thinks the front runner is Musgraves and I can't remember why, sorry.

Dennison was a close second.

Wolf
01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
i hate him

too bad for leach, but you can't keep running the same 4 plays over and over in the NFL :tease:

Wolf
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Its McClain's list.

McClain was just on 610 and stated the Munchak was a dark horse in this race with 2 strikes against him. 1st, he's still under contract with the Titians & 2nd, Bud Adams is unlikely to release him from said contract. Apparently, Bud doesn't like us very much and won't let any of his coaches come over here. Oh well.

McClain thinks the front runner is Musgraves and I can't remember why, sorry.

Dennison was a close second.

Musgrave used to be Schaub's coach is what first came to mind

playa465
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I just don't feel comfortable with Kubiak doing this...Belichick is seasoned enough to handle the OC job as well as run the team during a game. Kubiak has had some trouble managing the game with a full staff. Maybe after a couple of SB wins :brando:

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I just don't feel comfortable with Kubiak doing this...Belichick is seasoned enough to handle the OC job as well as run the team during a game. Kubiak has had some trouble managing the game with a full staff. Maybe after a couple of SB wins :brando:

I think it makes sense financially in that you're not paying an OC to do something Kubiak has excelled at before and would do better than anyone else available. Gary said he wants someone to call plays but if I'm McNair I say I don't want to give an OC a multi-year contract (and in turn more security than Kubiak) and then have to fire that guy next year if I choose not to give Kubiak an extension. Unless the OC will accept a 1 year deal and an understanding that the head coach could be replaced next year, I force Kubiak's hand and make him the head coach/offensive coordinator.

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Whats bizarre is the contract the OC will sign, why would we give an OC a contract thats more secure than the head coaches? What OC will want to sign a 1 year deal? All signs point to it being an internal hire unless they just don't hire an OC at all

Well, I live in the land of Jerry Jones, where the OC and the "head coach" make nearly the exact money and the OC was hired before the so-call head coach, so anything is possible. That said, I don't think McNair operates in that manner. I believe that Kubiak will be allowed to hire the OC he wants. You may have more info than me, but are the indications in Houston than Uncle Bob won't extent Kubiak for a couple of years to match the QB and GM?

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, I live in the land of Jerry Jones, where the OC and the "head coach" make nearly the exact money and the OC was hired before the so-call head coach, so anything is possible. That said, I don't think McNair operates in that manner. I believe that Kubiak will be allowed to hire the OC he wants. You may have more info than me, but are the indications in Houston than Uncle Bob won't extent Kubiak for a couple of years to match the QB and GM?

The only indication I have is that it hasn't happened yet. It appears McNair is going to let Kubiak go lame duck into this year with no new contract and only the 2010 season left. I would think that there would have been an indication of an extension at his press conference at his home yesterday where all he did was confirm that he'll be the coach for next season.

playa465
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I think it makes sense financially in that you're not paying an OC to do something Kubiak has excelled at before and would do better than anyone else available. Gary said he wants someone to call plays but if I'm McNair I say I don't want to give an OC a multi-year contract (and in turn more security than Kubiak) and then have to fire that guy next year if I choose not to give Kubiak an extension. Unless the OC will accept a 1 year deal and an understanding that the head coach could be replaced next year, I force Kubiak's hand and make him the head coach/offensive coordinator.

I understand your point and it makes sense...I just personally feel that if Kubiak does both, some other aspect will get missed...especially during a game.

Pollardized
01-04-2010, 10:11 PM
i found a couple of obvious candidates:

Kubiak and his wife, Rhonda, have three sons, Klint, Klay, and Klein. Klint is a fifth-year safety and Klay is a sophomore quarterback at Colorado State. Klein is a freshman wide receiver at Rice

dalemurphy
01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Or, we could promote Alex Gibbs to OC and then use this playbook:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=369&d=1262661067

blitz90
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Where'd Mclain get that list? He surely pulled it out of his ass i'm assuming.

mexican_texan
01-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Kubiak and his wife, Rhonda, have three sons, Klint, Klay, and Klein. Klint is a fifth-year safety and Klay is a sophomore quarterback at Colorado State. Klein is a freshman wide receiver at Rice

Beat ya to it.

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Where'd Mclain get that list? He surely pulled it out of his ass i'm assuming.

Actually, McLame has decent contacts within the league. He is horrible with analysis, but when he names names like this it is probably from a solid contact.

Goldensilence
01-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Promotion to what? Actually calling the plays here? I don't get why some people on the board seem enamored by or think losing Kyle will be a big blow.

SUX to lose Kyle. Dammit.

Why?

If not someone from within then somebody he has a history with. I think Kubiak has never really stopped being our OC for the most part so losing Shanahan won't make much of a difference to the Texans.

Bingo. With a lame duck year looming I don't really expect him to go outside of the organization unless he has to. If he does it will be someone he is comfortable with and likely won't question his playing calling unless he actually turns over play calling to someone.

Whats Mike Martz up to these days? With good players he was able to put together the greatest show on turf. Imagine what he could do with our team!

The only problem I have with Martz is QBs in his system get killed. Matt finally has shaked some of his durability questions this year, but I think some concerns will linger until he proves it again next year. I think it's a bad match.

Lucky
01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
That's the real answer.

One name I heard mentioned this morning was USC OC Jeremy Bates (http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bates_jeremy00.html), a former Broncos QB coach & playcaller and Rice QB. He never coached with Kubiak, but he did mentor under Jon Gruden, Mike Heimerdinger, and Daddy Shanny.

b0ng
01-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Its McClain's list.

If Munchak is getting promoted though, don't they have to let him out of his contract?

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 01:18 AM
If Munchak is getting promoted though, don't they have to let him out of his contract?

Nope, they changed the rules a few years back, and the only move that's considered a promotion is from asst. coach to head coach. Beyond that, all assistants are created equal (for this purpose). That's why the Redskins were able to turn down the Texans last off-season when they wanted to interview Jerry Grey for the then open DC position.

houstonspartan
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Nope, they changed the rules a few years back, and the only move that's considered a promotion is from asst. coach to head coach. Beyond that, all assistants are created equal (for this purpose). That's why the Redskins were able to turn down the Texans last off-season when they wanted to interview Jerry Grey for the then open DC position.

Yep. Teams HAVE to let assistants interview for head coaching jobs, but that's it.

I think it's fair. The assistant coaching ranks are the trenches, where the every day work gets done. I wouldn't want anyone randomly poaching my assistants if I were an owner or head coach.

Hervoyel
01-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Yep. Teams HAVE to let assistants interview for head coaching jobs, but that's it.

I think it's fair. The assistant coaching ranks are the trenches, where the every day work gets done. I wouldn't want anyone randomly poaching my assistants if I were an owner or head coach.

True and at one point you would interview a position coach for a coordinator position and that was all on the up and up. In recent years there has been much asshattery with titles to get around the rules on pinching other teams assistants. Guys get hired from a DC position to go fill another DC position that just happens to have an "Assistant Head Coach" title tacked on to it for instance.

BIG TORO
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Just wanted everybodys oppinion on how losing Kyle Shanahan, or any of the other coaching staff is going to affect us next year.

BigBull17
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

The point is to get Chris Brown to leave, not keep him around.

Vinnie
01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Maybe we won't see the halfback pass anymore.

hot pickle
01-05-2010, 08:41 AM
i think our play calling will be better next year without him... i think little shanny was thrown into the OC roll way way to early.. IMO

gtexan02
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Shannahan had a lot of respect from guys around the league and the Texans offensive players.

Since Shanny has been OC:
AJ has led the league twice in reception yards
Schaub led the league in passing yards
Our total offense has ranked 3rd and 4th in 08 and 09

Before Shanny, our offense was ranked 14th.

Sometimes coordinators aren't that important, as its the head coach and player that makes more of a difference. NYG lost their D coordinator this past year and, with mostly the same players, their defense went from 5th overall allowing 18.4 points per game (5th) to 13th overall allowing 26.7 points per game (30th)

It could be bad, but I guess it depends on who we get to replace him

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
i think our play calling will be better next year without him... i think little shanny was thrown into the OC roll way way to early.. IMO

DITTO!! Kubiak set him up to follow in Dad's footsteps, with the TEXANS as his training ground. Truthfully, I'm a little ticked!!

Goatcheese
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Calhoun left and the offense improved. Sherman left and the offense improved. Shanahan is leaving and the offense will likely continue to improve.

This is the Gary Kubiak show.

Malloy
01-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Honestly I have no clue who _actually_ calls the plays on this offense. It could be major that he's gone, or it could have absolutely no effect on our team.

I guess we'll see? :)

Goldensilence
01-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Honestly I have no clue who _actually_ calls the plays on this offense. It could be major that he's gone, or it could have absolutely no effect on our team.

I guess we'll see? :)

This is my problem as well. I don't think anyone really has a clue who has the reins of the offense. My money is on Gary not being able to totally let go of the offense myself.

I saw a few names come up, but I think with a lame duck contract year it's going to be hard to get the one guy I saw listed that Kubiak might respect enough to let the play calling go to and that's Chan Gailey.

Really I expect him to likely try to promote someone inside again, so he can continue to call plays.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I think the players really liked him...always hurts to lose continuity but doesn't Kubiak have control over every play called anyway?

Hagar
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
If Munchak is getting promoted though, don't they have to let him out of his contract?You would think so, but McClain talked about that situation and concluded that they didn't have to release him unless it was specific in Munchak's contract. McClain did think it was specific in his contract though.

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Calhoun left and the offense improved. Sherman left and the offense improved. Shanahan is leaving and the offense will likely continue to improve.

This is the Gary Kubiak show.

Agreed, and that's a good thing. One of the biggest problems I had with Capers is that he was a very good defensive coach, yet he pretty much let Fangio run the defense, making Capers biggest strength kind of unused.

Like or dislike Kubiak, I think he deserves credit for coming in as an offensive guy, and playing to his strength.

infantrycak
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I think the players really liked him...always hurts to lose continuity but doesn't Kubiak have control over every play called anyway?

What was described as the season began was Shanahan making the calls with Kubiak having override authority. How often he may have exercised that authority we don't know.

Another unknown wrinkle is the exact communication channel. At least at first Kubiak wanted to be the guy in Schaub's ear so the OC would make the call, Kubiak would either go with it or override it and then communicate it to the QB. Didn't hear who was doing the talking to Schaub this year.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 11:10 AM

He must be good friend with Roger Clemens. All the "K" kids names. I'd hate to be named a really easy name to spell like "Clint" or "Clay" and have to correct the spelling for everybody cause my parents decided to get cute with the "K's"....

WWJD
01-05-2010, 11:14 AM
should be an interesting game next year against the Skins. All these guys know the other so well..playcalling wise and all.

Goldensilence
01-05-2010, 11:32 AM
He must be good friend with Roger Clemens. All the "K" kids names. I'd hate to be named a really easy name to spell like "Clint" or "Clay" and have to correct the spelling for everybody cause my parents decided to get cute with the "K's"....

Man he gets cute with the play calling and kids names......it's starting to make sense now...

GP
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Man he gets cute with the play calling and kids names......it's starting to make sense now...

I heard that his wife wanted to name them with "C" to begin each name, but that Gary overrode that call and went with "K' instead.

You have to admit that we make a pretty good team, Goldensilence...

WWJD
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM

I work at a fairly large church..parents are naming their kids more "cutesy" names like this all the time (although Kube's are grown men really) and it's murder on the staff when you have simple names and make a name tag and it's spelled wrong cause the parent decided to spell like this.

Kinda silly comments on my part..so back to topic...

PHAROAH
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I think that we will be fine but I like his play calling he was doing pretty darn good IMO.

Thorn
01-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Kubiak will find someone to run the offense exactly the way he wants it run, or he'll run it himself next year. Either way, I don't think we'll see a drop off. In fact, with an improved O-line and a legit RB we'll be even better.

That is if we improve the O-line and get ourselves a legit RB. Even doing just one of those two will help considerably.

GP
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I work at a fairly large church..parents are naming their kids more "cutesy" names like this all the time (although Kube's are grown men really) and it's murder on the staff when you have simple names and make a name tag and it's spelled wrong cause the parent decided to spell like this.

Kinda silly comments on my part..so back to topic...

No, I'm with you on this one.

There's a girl whose name is Savanna and I spelled her name Savannah.

She says to me, in all seriousness, "Everybody puts an 'h' at the end of my name. I don't know why they do that."

:duh:

mussop
01-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Is it official that he is gone?

gtexan02
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Is it official that he is gone?

He said if his dad gets a job this year, he's 100% gone

Section516
01-05-2010, 01:44 PM
And Redskins/Elder Shanny are in contract talks now. Little Shannys good as gone, office prolly packed up already.

I really hope we go for a big name Ocord that Kubes can rely on, and provide little management over. Kubes needs to 100% focus on HC.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Yea you're right. They're already looking at other guys. He's leaving on that jet plane to DC!

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm an L&D nurse, and I always ask my patients what they plan to name their baby. There are times I've had to get out of the room fast so I could laugh. You simply would NOT believe what the next generation will have to deal with! Poor kids!!

WWJD
01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I read a book on Clemens and he did it as an ego thing..named his kids with the K's..for strikeouts.

It annoys me all these weird names but that's just me! Weird spellings anyway.

The Hollywood celeb crowd takes the cake for weird baby names though..they're way worse than the athletes.

anyway..back to topic..I think Munchak would be a good choice for OC.

leebigeztx
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM

Good list and as expected. I think its going to be musgrave. He's a true west coast principle guy, a backup qb/qb coach and has called plays before. I think hiring musgrave would allow kubes to just focus on h.c. stuff because stuff would be delegated. I would be surprised if it wasnt Musgrave.

El Tejano
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
It will affect us when we play Washington next season!

b0ng
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I saw a few names come up, but I think with a lame duck contract year it's going to be hard to get the one guy I saw listed that Kubiak might respect enough to let the play calling go to and that's Chan Gailey.

Yeah if that keeps Chan Gailey out of Houston I am all for that.

HOU-TEX
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
What was described as the season began was Shanahan making the calls with Kubiak having override authority. How often he may have exercised that authority we don't know.

Another unknown wrinkle is the exact communication channel. At least at first Kubiak wanted to be the guy in Schaub's ear so the OC would make the call, Kubiak would either go with it or override it and then communicate it to the QB. Didn't hear who was doing the talking to Schaub this year.

Obviously I'm not certain, but I think Shanny Jr was the one talking directly to Schaub. It seemed like every time Schaub came off the field he went directly to Shanny. So it kinda makes sense.

barrett
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Kubiak wanted Dennison originally or at least recently and Shannihan wouldn't let him go. Kubiak wanted Bush originally and Arizona wouldn't let him go.

I think that could be a very strong case for why he would be the front runner in my eyes. Plus he seems to be the clearest fit for the current system. I don't see them wanting to change. They have made a case over and over from Mr. McNair down that consistency is the model that they are following.

Pariani meets those same requirements.

GNTLEWOLF
01-05-2010, 03:14 PM
So...... I guess this will become next year's excuse.

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Kubiak wanted Dennison originally or at least recently and Shannihan wouldn't let him go. Kubiak wanted Bush originally and Arizona wouldn't let him go.

I think that could be a very strong case for why he would be the front runner in my eyes. Plus he seems to be the clearest fit for the current system. I don't see them wanting to change. They have made a case over and over from Mr. McNair down that consistency is the model that they are following.

McClain seemed pretty confident that there were no serious in-house candidates. Say what you will about McClain, but his info. on stuff like this is almost always spot-on.

Pollardized
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I heard that his wife wanted to name them with "C" to begin each name, but that Gary overrode that call and went with "K' instead.

You have to admit that we make a pretty good team, Goldensilence...

That explains why he stuck with Kris brown all season...

Honoring Earl 34
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm an L&D nurse, and I always ask my patients what they plan to name their baby. There are times I've had to get out of the room fast so I could laugh. You simply would NOT believe what the next generation will have to deal with! Poor kids!!

Female Johnson .

barrett
01-05-2010, 03:43 PM
McClain seemed pretty confident that there were no serious in-house candidates. Say what you will about McClain, but his info. on stuff like this is almost always spot-on.

When? I listened to his phone interview on 610 and I read his article on Chron.com. I'm reading the chat right now. When did he say that he was confident there were no serious in-house candidates? I understand he listed the 4 "front runners" but I'm just not remembering anytime he seemed to suggest that in-house was not an option.

Goatcheese
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I would like Rick Dennison. He stepped right in after Kubes left and had Cutler looking like a future super star. He knows exactly what we're doing here in the passing and running game, so it would be a seamless transition.

barrett
01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree. I think he's the most seamless choice.

infantrycak
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Obviously I'm not certain, but I think Shanny Jr was the one talking directly to Schaub. It seemed like every time Schaub came off the field he went directly to Shanny. So it kinda makes sense.

Things is I remember something like this happening with Kubiak/Sherman and only in the last few years did Kubiak not speak through Sherman and likewise talked more to the QB's on the sideline since Sherman was watching the D. I remember something like that being described when Kubiak came here I believe when Sherman was OC. Seems like Kubiak and Sherman are theoretically OK not talking to the QB directly but only after the privilege is earned.

Vinny
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking Mike Martz or Rodney Dangerfield off the top of my head. I haven't read this thread and I've said this before but I'd love to see us get a guy like Mike Munchak and let him come in and grab his day in the Sun. Hell, who here thinks Kubiak is going to let anyone but him call the Stagger Kubes next season? Bring in Munch! Munchak will instill all the toughness you want out of your offense.

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
When? I listened to his phone interview on 610 and I read his article on Chron.com. I'm reading the chat right now. When did he say that he was confident there were no serious in-house candidates? I understand he listed the 4 "front runners" but I'm just not remembering anytime he seemed to suggest that in-house was not an option.

He was on for a very short spot on 610 right after Kubiak's show, and they asked him point blank about in-house candidates, and he indicated they weren't seriously looking at anybody currently on staff. The only four names he mentioned were (in no particular order), Munchak, Gailey, Dennison, and Musgrave. I got the feeling he's pretty certain it's gonna be one of those four guys with either Musgrave or Dennison being the odds-on-favorite (This was my inference, nothing he said in so many words).

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking Mike Martz or Rodney Dangerfield off the top of my head. I haven't read this thread and I've said this before but I'd love to see us get a guy like Mike Munchak and let him come in and grab his day in the Sun. Hell, who here thinks Kubiak is going to let anyone but him call the Stagger Kubes next season? Bring in Munch! Munchak will instill all the toughness you want out of your offense.

I agree Vinny! Let him finally get his SB ring as a TEXAN!!:)

barrett
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
He was on for a very short spot on 610 right after Kubiak's show, and they asked him point blank about in-house candidates, and he indicated they weren't seriously looking at anybody currently on staff. The only four names he mentioned were (in no particular order), Munchak, Gailey, Dennison, and Musgrave. I got the feeling he's pretty certain it's gonna be one of those four guys with either Musgrave or Dennison being the odds-on-favorite (This was my inference, nothing he said in so many words).

I just read the chat and he makes a somewhat deadpan comment again about those four. I just wasn't sure if he had out right said it. Thanks.

JimC
01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I think this choice is less about the play CALLING than the play BOOK. Whoever comes in as offensive coordinator, I'm betting that Kubiak hands him the current playbook and tells him "This is how we do things here." Given their offensive success over the last couple of years, I have no problem with that.

Keep in mind, Kubiak works with his offensive coordinator to script the first plays of the game. I understand that they script the first plays of the second half as well. Then Kubiak reserves the right to veto individual plays during the game. With that level of involvement by Kubiak, the offensive coordinator is more of a subordinate handling details than a coach controlling the offense. I don't think the Texans' defensive coordinator works this way; I believe Bush has much more independence in what he does.

Most big-name candidates aren't likely to want to work this way, so my guess is that Kubiak promotes from within, gets a Denver system guy, or gets someone who is smart but not too independent.

mussop
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Yeh but once again is it official? You guys are acting like it is a done deal. Any links to direct quotes or anything more than hearsay? He is insane if he leaves here and goes to Washington.

Honoring Earl 34
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree Vinny! Let him finally get his SB ring as a TEXAN!!:)

I may be wrong but I'd bet Bud would rather run through a guantlet of pit bulls wearing porkchop underwear than let Munchak come to the Texans .

Munchak , at the end of his career , graded out at 96% in a game basically with one knee , that's what you need .

badboy
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Musgrave coached Schaub at Virginia and Atlanta. I think he'll get the call.

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
[quote=Honoring Earl 34;1342807]I may be wrong but I'd bet Bud would rather run through a guantlet of pit bulls wearing porkchop underwear than let Munchak come to the Texans .

Munchak , at the end of his career , graded out at 96% in a

It would not be appropriate for me to say on this board what my true feeling are about Bud Adams!! Think BAD, and you have it!! :)

Hopefully, Munch has an "outie" clause in his contract. We can only hope. How exciting would it be to have both Munch and Matthews on our sideline! Maybe some of those meatball fans would see the light and jump off the wagon, not that I would truly want them to hop on ours!!:pop: They will forever be tainted and would stink up the place!!

WWJD
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeh but once again is it official? You guys are acting like it is a done deal. Any links to direct quotes or anything more than hearsay? He is insane if he leaves here and goes to Washington.

It's not official because his dad hasn't signed his contract with the Skins yet but they are working out the details on it.

I heard it'll be done (his dad's contract) within the next 48 hours...ESPN radio.

jaayteetx
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Lil Shanny might be making a big career mistake following his father to Washington. This Texans team has a high powered offense, capable of putting numbers up against anyone and he wants to go to Washington? To take the same job? Not a promotion? I know blood is thicker than water, but if he stayed here and this team goes places, which is the general consensus, he could probably have his pick of teams to be the Head coach of. Just saying.

JimC
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM

On the Houston Texans official web site, under the title "Kubiak Preparing for Shanahan's Likely Departure."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6002

"It's going to be very hard to leave because of everything we've accomplished," Shanahan said to the Houston Chronicle. "I work with a lot of good people, but I've always wanted to work with my dad. If he comes back, I think the timing will be right."

Hervoyel
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Not at all. Kubiak will find somebody else he is comfortable with to dump off the part of the OC job he doesn't want to do (can't say I blame him) and keep right on being our HC/OC like he always has been.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
He wants to coach with his dad. That overrides his ambition apparently. And the opportunity is there.

ArlingtonTexan
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
He wants to coach with his dad. That overrides his ambition apparently. And the opportunity is there.

Honestly, it is probably a better situation for advancement in Washington. In Houston is the coordinator who took over an offense tht was already made. In Washington, he will get the credit or non-credit for what happens.

ToxicButt
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
IMO, The next OC is tied to what happens with Alex Gibbs. If Gibbs is gone, Kubes will hire Munchak as OC to focus on our line play and running game. Kubes will call plays in his 5th year b/c he has to make the playoffs (whether he gets an extension or not).

If Gibbs stays, then I think the odds are that he will hire Dennison or Musgrave and possibly let them call plays or groom them to do so quickly.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-05-2010, 07:11 PM

barrett, I agree. It is more than likely that Dennison is a front runner follow up by other ZBS experienced coaches. By the way, anyone aware of Dennison's contract situation? Is he tied up with current contract?

4Texans
01-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Cross Munchak off the list.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6800366.html

The Texans can cross off Tennessee Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak from their list of candidates to replace offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher denied the Texans permission today to interview Munchak, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, who has been in the Titans organization since 1982 as a player and coach.

Other candidates on coach Gary Kubiak's list are Denver offensive line coach Rick Dennison, Atlanta quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and former Kansas City offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Shanahan is going to be the new offensive coordinator at Washington when his father, Mike Shanahan, is hired as the Redskins' new coach.

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Cross Munchak off the list.

Jeff Fisher is an a-hole if he was the one who blocked the interview. Why would Munchak want to continue working for a guy/organization who refused a promotion for one of his coaches?

WWJD
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think Fisher could have blocked an interview if it was a promotion so it must be a lateral move.

And seriously...why would he let a great OL coach go to a team in his own division if that coach was under contract? They'd have a hard time replacing what he brings to their OL.

That doesn't make any sense.

Section516
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Saw it on NFL net.

Knew it was coming.

LonerATO
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
his dad got a 5 year deal and looks to have the final say over Bruce Allen

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think Fisher could have blocked an interview if it was a promotion so it must be a lateral move.

And seriously...why would he let a great OL coach go to a team in his own division if that coach was under contract? They'd have a hard time replacing what he brings to their OL.

That doesn't make any sense.

Heimerdinger is the offensive coordinator there, we offered a promotion here and it was blocked. Munchak can't be pleased with being denied more money and power somewhere else by his boss. I think it was Bud Adams who blocked this to be honest but if it was Fisher thats really low on his part because he's a coach and should understand better than anyone the process of paying dues and getting promoted from one gig to the next in football.

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Well here's to hoping Kubiak takes over the play-calling. Forget hiring an OC, why trust an outsider with your job security? Kubiak shouldn't be so comfortable that he can sit back and let someone else run the offense. He's going to have to earn that extension.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 10:21 PM
It's still by NFL rules got to be considered a "lateral" move so they aren't obligated to grant him interviews.

That's one of the strengths of their team. It makes no sense to let him interview with a team in their own division for a job that would weaken their team if he left.

I'm guessing if he were interviewing for the HC job here they couldn't stop him. If it were open of course.

Who knows if it makes him mad or not? He may be perfectly fine with what he's doing. He's been there for years. Something they're doing is keeping him there.

Ndevine7
01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
It's still by NFL rules got to be considered a "lateral" move so they aren't obligated to grant him interviews.

That's one of the strengths of their team. It makes no sense to let him interview with a team in their own division for a job that would weaken their team if he left.

I'm guessing if he were interviewing for the HC job here they couldn't stop him. If it were open of course.

Who knows if it makes him mad or not? He may be perfectly fine with what he's doing. He's been there for years. Something they're doing is keeping him there.

I dont see how offering him the OC spot is a "lateral" move

WWJD
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I dont see how offering him the OC spot is a "lateral" move

I'm guessing but I would say that position is still considered an "assistant" and therefore a lateral move..since he's already an assistant coach.

If he were offered a head coaching job that would be a promotion.

Just a guess but obviously the Titans are protected from some NFL rule to not grant the interview.

axman40
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Shanahan will bring his son, Kyle, from Houston to be offensive coordinator, and the Redskins will be prepared to interview Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer for that position this weekend should Cincinnati lose at home to the Jets in an AFC wild-card playoff game, according to a league source.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/05/shanahan-will-receive-five-year-deal-to-coach-redskins/
:cowboy1:

Kaiser Toro
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
No love for Karl Dorrell?

From 12/28/2007
Former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell will be one of the candidates to replace Mike Sherman as the Houston Texans' offensive coordinator next season according to the Houston Chronicle.

When coach Gary Kubiak was offensive coordinator at Denver, Dorrell was the Broncos' receivers coach for three seasons (2000-02) before he left to become UCLA's head coach. Dorrell was fired by the Bruins earlier this month.

Kyle Shanahan, who has coached receivers and quarterbacks in his two seasons with the Texans, also is a candidate to replace Sherman, who was hired earlier this month as the new coach at Texas A&M.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Ex-UCLA-coach-Dorrell-on-Texans-offensive-coord?urn=nfl,59401

That article is no longer available at the Chron. Dorrell is with the Dolphins now.

Goldensilence
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Well here's to hoping Kubiak takes over the play-calling. Forget hiring an OC, why trust an outsider with your job security? Kubiak shouldn't be so comfortable that he can sit back and let someone else run the offense. He's going to have to earn that extension.

Could not disagree with this assessment more. Kubiak hasn't ever really let go of play calling for a prolonged period of time. It was the final game of last year that we learned Kyle finally called an entire game by himself and was reported this year at times he took over play calling, when we still aren't sure of. We know that ultimately Kubiak has the last call on play calling.

IMO I think it'd be big if Kubiak decided to go out of staff on this decision. I think he needs to. I think it'd say at least something about his growth as a HC to let it go and concentrate on other matters like game management.

I also think having someone outside of his comfort zone might save him from himself. So far, as per McClain, the list I have seen hasn't impressed me much with the only person who has suck out to me with solid experience is Chan Gailey.

I can imagine the Jax game conversation like this:

Gary : Ok game's on the line, I'm going with HB pass by Chris Brown to our Joel Dressen

Chan : Seriously?!

Gary: Yeah! They'll never see it coming. Chris Brown is clutch and Dressen is a red zone target.

Chan: What the **** are you on Gary? Throw the damn ball to AJ.

texanskan
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM

No way, I bet the majority of the bone head play calling was done by Kubiak.

Also he is a terrible in game coach, the last thing we need is him being distracted

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Could not disagree with this assessment more. Kubiak hasn't ever really let go of play calling for a prolonged period of time. It was the final game of last year that we learned Kyle finally called an entire game by himself and was reported this year at times he took over play calling, when we still aren't sure of. We know that ultimately Kubiak has the last call on play calling.

IMO I think it'd be big if Kubiak decided to go out of staff on this decision. I think he needs to. I think it'd say at least something about his growth as a HC to let it go and concentrate on other matters like game management.

I also think having someone outside of his comfort zone might save him from himself. So far, as per McClain, the list I have seen hasn't impressed me much with the only person who has suck out to me with solid experience is Chan Gailey.

I can imagine the Jax game conversation like this:

Gary : Ok game's on the line, I'm going with HB pass by Chris Brown to our Joel Dressen

Chan : Seriously?!

Gary: Yeah! They'll never see it coming. Chris Brown is clutch and Dressen is a red zone target.

Chan: What the **** are you on Gary? Throw the damn ball to AJ.

This would be a much easier subject to debate if we had the full picture and knew how the gameplan is constructed during the week and how plays are called on Sunday and how much Gary overrode Kyle's calls. I think they had such a close relationship to where there were no misunderstandings over the power structure. And clearly thats what Gary will be looking for in the next offensive coordinator.

b0ng
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Didn't we get around the whole "lateral move" crap by adding "Asst HC" to the title? My guess is we probably didn't try too terribly hard to get him.

Vinnie
01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I asked Eric Winston on twitter if Alex Gibbs might be interested in the job. He hasn't got back with me yet, but I'll let y'all know as soon as he responds!

Munchak seems to be the chalk, but I guess we'll see. I can't imagine they sit on this for long.

Vinnie
01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
cross munchak off the list.

doh!

Goldensilence
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
This would be a much easier subject to debate if we had the full picture and knew how the gameplan is constructed during the week and how plays are called on Sunday and how much Gary overrode Kyle's calls. I think they had such a close relationship to where there were no misunderstandings over the power structure. And clearly thats what Gary will be looking for in the next offensive coordinator.

I guess that's part of my problem/concern.

I don't think Kyle had enough power or respect to second guess Gary on his play calls if Gary had taken over those duties, again when is unknown.

I just think it's important to go out of staff for this hire more so than d-coordinator for that reason. We need someone to say Gary, really that's just a bad idea, or Gary how about going ahead and seeing what this Foster guy can bring to the table.

Ultimately I get the same feeling I did with the hiring of Frank Bush. We've seen a quick list put together, (though I admit a few actually might have a shot of getting hired this time) to make it look like we're going out of staff, while the decision's pretty much made to promote within on another fairly unproven coach.

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
Didn't we get around the whole "lateral move" crap by adding "Asst HC" to the title? My guess is we probably didn't try too terribly hard to get him.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1342273&postcount=94

Jackie Chiles
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm guessing but I would say that position is still considered an "assistant" and therefore a lateral move..since he's already an assistant coach.

If he were offered a head coaching job that would be a promotion.

Just a guess but obviously the Titans are protected from some NFL rule to not grant the interview.

Its not a lateral move. The article says that teams can still block promotions unless its to a head coaching gig. So yeah, pretty much the Titans blocked him from a promotion. Oh well, I think he was a long shot anyway. I know it seems pretty lame but haven't we done something like this once or twice in our history? Can't recall the coach/situation.

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
The problem I see with going outside his staff.... is that 2009 was the first year we were a 100% ZBS team. It took them 13 weeks to even be adequate on the line. I don't think Kubes will want to start all over with a new offensive system in his do or die year.

Who are you going to bring in, that will run this WCO the way Kubiak wants to run it?

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Sucks for us, because it sounds like that guy would have been the best fit, considering his history with Schaub. But, if I were Tennessee, I would probably do the same thing.

Kaiser Toro
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Sucks for us, because it sounds like that guy would have been the best fit, considering his history with Schaub. But, if I were Tennessee, I would probably do the same thing.

Musgrave coached Schuab. Munchak is at Tennessee.

Thorn
01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
The problem I see with going outside his staff.... is that 2009 was the first year we were a 100% ZBS team. It took them 13 weeks to even be adequate on the line. I don't think Kubes will want to start all over with a new offensive system in his do or die year.

Who are you going to bring in, that will run this WCO the way Kubiak wants to run it?

Someone already on staff, or another coach from Denver.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Musgrave coached Schuab. Munchak is at Tennessee.

Whups. My mistake. Got the Muscrat-ish names mixed up.

Thanks for correcting me.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM

Maybe I am taking a big leap here, but if Gibbs stays and Benton does as well I don't think we'll see a big change in line philosophy. The WCO might vary slightly person to person but, the ideas are similar.

You can have a mauling OL close to the Eagles but still ultimately run the WCO. You don't have to have the ZBS to run a WCO.

barrett
01-06-2010, 02:17 AM
I asked Eric Winston on twitter if Alex Gibbs might be interested in the job. He hasn't got back with me yet, but I'll let y'all know as soon as he responds!

Munchak seems to be the chalk, but I guess we'll see. I can't imagine they sit on this for long.

Gibbs teeters on the edge of retirement I seriously doubt he's looking to take on that roll. McCain asked him if he's even returning next year and he said he wasn't sure yet.

barrett
01-06-2010, 02:19 AM
So I got to thinking about the question in this thread's title. I wonder if any other coaches would follow Kyle to Washington?

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Yeah if that keeps Chan Gailey out of Houston I am all for that.

I didn't say I thought Chan Gailey was a great choice or someone I'd love to have as an OC. Just that out of the list I've seen floating around he is one of the few people I saw who wouldn't belly up and let Kubiak railroad him with awesome play calls like HB passes or might have enough guts to say, ya know maybe we should try someone else in the running game or might point out our OL can't get a push when we need it.

Honestly, none of the proposed candidates really impress me. It doesn't surprise me though. I get the feeling a few names were thrown out there, most of them won't likely be allowed to talk to us and Kubiak will hire from in staff.

TexanBacker93
01-06-2010, 05:39 AM
I haven't seen the list of potential guys, but I wonder if Rick Dennison is on it. He was the guy Kubiak initially wanted to bring with him when he came here. Shanahan Sr. wouldn't let him go and let him take Calhoun instead. If he's available he knows the offense and I would think he'd rather come here with this offense instead of going to D.C. with the garbage they have. Lil' Shanahan is making a poor career decision here. I'm going to give up a Ferrari to go drive a clunker. I can't think of one offensive player on that team I'd rather have than any of the 11 starters.

Corrosion
01-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Munchak off Texans OC candidates list (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6800366.html)

Titans' Fisher denies Houston permission to interview assistant

The Texans have removed Tennessee Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak from their list of candidates to replace offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Before the Texans could formally ask for permission to interview Munchak, Titans coach Jeff Fisher called general manager Rick Smith on Tuesday. Fisher and Smith are members of the NFL's competition committee.

Fisher informed Smith that the Titans wouldn't be granting permission for Munchak to interview. In other words, don't waste your time.

Under NFL rules, coaches under contract can't switch jobs -- even for promotions -- unless they're given permission. The only exception is for an assistant to become a head coach.

Shanahan, who has been with the Texans for four years, is leaving to become the new offensive coordinator with the Washington Redskins. His father, Mike Shanahan, will be introduced as the Redskins' new coach on Wednesday.

Other candidates to replace Shanahan have ties to coach Gary Kubiak when he coached at Denver: Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison, Atlanta Falcons quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave and former Kansas City offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Who didnt see that coming.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 06:15 AM
The Denver Broncos with Rick Dennison as Offensive coordinator:

2nd total
3rd passing
12th rushing

11th total
13th passing
9th rushing

21st total
25th passing
8th rushing

He's probably the run away favorite at this point.

Hookem Horns
01-06-2010, 06:17 AM
Munchak off Texans OC candidates list (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6800366.html)

Titans' Fisher denies Houston permission to interview assistant

Who didnt see that coming.

That's really good of Fisher and company to prevent someone like Munchak at a chance of coming back to Houston for a solid promotion of duties and pay. Good people. At least Munch is probably now fully aware of what kind of POS organization he works for.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 06:21 AM

We didn't ask to interview him. Fisher called Smith and told him not to bother asking.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Various Info on Rick "Denny" Dennison (born June 22, 1958, Kalispell, Montana)

Played TE at Colorado State
Played Linebacker with Denver '82-90

Coaching career with Denver:
Offensive assistant '95-96
Special teams coach '97-2000
Offensive line coach '01-05
Offensive coordinator '06-08
Demoted to O-line coach by Josh McFailure in 2009

Broncos Rushing attack with Denny as O-line coach:
2001 10th
2002 5th
2003 2nd
2004 4th
2005 2nd

Promoted to Offensive Coordinator after Gary Kubiak's departure for Houston:
21st total
25th passing
8th rushing

11th total
13th passing
9th rushing

2nd total
3rd passing
12th rushing

Demoted back to O-line coach by Josh McFailure
2009 18th rushing

Pros:
Knows the System
Experienced
Ran a great Denver offense

Cons:
We'll never hear the end of "Denny's Menu"

* Edit to include sacks

2009 15th
2008 1st
2007 16th
2006 13th
2005 3rd
2004 3rd
2003 6th
2002 27th
2001 20th

Silver Oak
01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I think this MB would have melted down if Munch had come with so limited a resume, and had failed. I like and respect the guy too much to just throw him into the fire like that.

I wonder if it was GM Mike Reinfeldt's decision, or Jeff "Porn Moustache" Fishers?

gtexan02
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
what a douche bag. The guy would be getting a significant promotion, and a chance of a lifetime to step into a consecutive top 5 offense.

I would quit if I was him. Get your chance to interview AND send the organization a message that they can't play with your life

OzzO
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=Corrosion;1343139...Who didnt see that coming.[/QUOTE]

4Texans (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1342966&postcount=125) saw it coming about 9 hours before you. :peek:

El Tejano
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Can someone educate me on what kind of coach Al Groh was? Offensive or Defensive? I was thinking he would be a good canidate if offensive because he does have close ties with Gary Kubiak but also with Matt Schaub.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Rick Dennison? Let's do it.

Edit: And they love Kyle out in Washington: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=314623

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Charlie Weis for OC? ;)

Wouldn't work with Kubiak probably.

BigBull17
01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
what a douche bag. The guy would be getting a significant promotion, and a chance of a lifetime to step into a consecutive top 5 offense.

I would quit if I was him. Get your chance to interview AND send the organization a message that they can't play with your life

If he quit, I think he would have to sit out the length of his contract before eing able to get a job with an NFL team.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Can someone educate me on what kind of coach Al Groh was? Offensive or Defensive? I was thinking he would be a good canidate if offensive because he does have close ties with Gary Kubiak but also with Matt Schaub.

I get the Matt Schaub connection, but don't get the Gary Kubiak connection. Also, Al Groh as an assistant has primarily been on the defensive side of the ball although he did work as an offensve coordinator before at USC (as in South Carolina).

Jeff Fisher and everyone associated with the Tinnbreads are douche b a g s.

treduke
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
The tacks wouldn't give munch permission to interview? I'm very surprised!
Signed,
Water is wet

El Tejano
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I get the Matt Schaub connection, but don't get the Gary Kubiak connection. Also, Al Groh as an assistant has primarily been on the defensive side of the ball although he did work as an offensve coordinator before at USC (as in South Carolina).

Jeff Fisher and everyone associated with the Tinnbreads are douche b a g s.

I recalled in an interview with Kubiak when we acquired Matt Schaub that he said he worked with Al Groh before and he respected him as a coach and when Al Groh had great things to say about Schaub, Kubiak knew we should get Matt Schaub.

Wasn't sure if Al was a defensive or offensive coordinator before he went to Virginia.

Vinnie
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Gibbs teeters on the edge of retirement I seriously doubt he's looking to take on that roll. McCain asked him if he's even returning next year and he said he wasn't sure yet.

Yeah, that was meant more tongue in cheek then anything. I don't think he'd be interested either, plus, like Eric Winston is going to get back with me! :this:

Texans_Chick
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Part of me thinks that Munchak was mentioned just to get his name out there as someone who has done worthwhile things, but they thought that the Budster never in a million years let Munchak go.

You know, to sort of embarrass the Titans.

Munchak has done a tremendous job. I'm not sure how well he would fit for the OC job for the Texans, but I'm guessing they want other teams to consider him as well. If Munchak can't be a Texan, it would be delightful if other teams contacted him for a promotion and got him away. At a minimum, maybe it gets Bud to promote him from within.

Sometimes the talk up of a coach can get them promoted. I've heard talk from national sources of Kyle Shanahan as a head coach. No way that talk happens but for the Texans/McClain talking him up.

SheTexan
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Well, we all knew it was wishful thinking to start with. Jeff Fisher is a PIG for denying the man a chance for advancement, but, I'm not surprised. Everyone within that organization is infected wth Buditis!! Tainted, SICK pigs, all of them!!:devilpig:

barrett
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Someone asked this once already but I'd like to ask it again in case it was missed:

What kind of contract situations are Dennison and Musgrave in?

Silver Oak
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
this tree has probably grown a bit lately, but Linehan is on there. image came from bucs site so Gruden is highlighted.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/bestbucsblog/Coaching_Trees.jpg

barrett
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I just heard McCain say that Shannihan wants Dennison in Washington coordinating the running game. He brings up the point that without an extension, Dennison is looking at an opportunity to go with a coach who can offer him a 3 or 4 year contract whereas in Houston there is so much uncertainty it's going to be hard to say yes. This news that Shanny want's Dennison in Washington is certainly a kink.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I just heard McCain say that Shannihan wants Dennison in Washington coordinating the running game. He brings up the point that without an extension, Dennison is looking at an opportunity to go with a coach who can offer him a 3 or 4 year contract whereas in Houston there is so much uncertainty it's going to be hard to say yes. This news that Shanny want's Dennison in Washington is certainly a kink.

McCain loves Kubiak and wants him here for good, and will bring up any reason to extend him. Did Dennison actually SAY that he wouldn't come here with a coach on the hot seat? Or is that McCain speculating just to scare McNair into giving his boy an extension?

I'm serious here. These coaches know how the game is played. Sure, no one wants to uproot themseves and their families only to possibly be uprooted a year from now, but, that's the way the profession they chose is. At the end of the day, it's on Gary to earn his extension, keep his job and keep everyone he hired employed.

Gary has to proceed as if he's going to be the coach here for another 10 years, even if he knows he could only have one more year. Let the chips fall.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 12:03 PM

With mini-me taking the OC spot Denny would be taking a lower level position to go to Washington. Getting a promotion seems like it would be much more desirable.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Charlie Weis for OC? ;)

Wouldn't work with Kubiak probably.

Though I'd actually be interested, wouldn't happen. Kubiak typically doesn't hire outside of his comfort zone or someone that isn't Oiler related. I think Kollar was the first hiring that he wasn't familiar with.

So I got to thinking about the question in this thread's title. I wonder if any other coaches would follow Kyle to Washington?

First question is why would they follow Kyle? I really think people are talking Kyle to be a much better coach than he is. Much like here IMO it's going to be hard to tell how much control Kyle will have over OC duties and play calling.

Far as I know Musgrave and Dennison are under contract, but how long I am not sure. I think if we wanted Dennison we could possibly have him as he was demoted by Josh McDaniels.

However, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is what if Mike Shannahan wants Dennison to be his OL coach in Washington? If so itwill be interesting to see who gets the call.

From what I've read Musgrave was "retained" last year by the Falcons, which possibly means he's in a contract friendly situation far as we are concerned.

The last person on Kubiak's list is at least currently unemployed which means he'd be the easiest to hire.

barrett
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
McCain loves Kubiak and wants him here for good, and will bring up any reason to extend him. Did Dennison actually SAY that he wouldn't come here with a coach on the hot seat? Or is that McCain speculating just to scare McNair into giving his boy an extension?

I'm serious here. These coaches know how the game is played. Sure, no one wants to uproot themseves and their families only to possibly be uprooted a year from now, but, that's the way the profession they chose is. At the end of the day, it's on Gary to earn his extension, keep his job and keep everyone he hired employed.

Gary has to proceed as if he's going to be the coach here for another 10 years, even if he knows he could only have one more year. Let the chips fall.

No, Dennison didn't say anything. McCain said that Shannihan want's him in Washington to run the running game. That's all. The debate is would Dennison want to come here with less job security for an OC job or more security for a somewhat lateral move.

With mini-me taking the OC spot Denny would be taking a lower level position to go to Washington. Getting a promotion seems like it would be much more desirable.

I think he would be promoted either way. Here as OC and there as the "run game" coordinator. I can see the point that McCain is making, it's going to be more difficult to land someone when the HC has 1 year on his deal.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Far as I know Musgrave and Dennison are under contract, but how long I am not sure. I think if we wanted Dennison we could possibly have him as he was demoted by Josh McDaniels.

Dennison was allowed to interview for the 49ers OC position last year. I think if we want him he's ours.

barrett
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
First question is why would they follow Kyle? I really think people are talking Kyle to be a much better coach than he is. Much like here IMO it's going to be hard to tell how much control Kyle will have over OC duties and play calling.

I guess I wasn't thinking of it as going to be with the great Kyle. But more to be coaching under his father in some capacity. He has to form a staff. Lots of guys could move up from positions here in a system that will be run very similar.

However, one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is what if Mike Shannahan wants Dennison to be his OL coach in Washington? If so itwill be interesting to see who gets the call.

That's what we're talking about. According to McCain Shannihan want's Dennison in Washington to "coach the run game".

b0ng
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I think this MB would have melted down if Munch had come with so limited a resume, and had failed. I like and respect the guy too much to just throw him into the fire like that.

I wonder if it was GM Mike Reinfeldt's decision, or Jeff "Porn Moustache" Fishers?

Judging by how many are upset the Titans denied Munch the chance, you're probably off on that first part. Besides, he's been coaching for 15 years and I'm absolutely sure he has a hand in their running game (Being the O-line coach and all).

But it's a pretty moot point anyway.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I guess I wasn't thinking of it as going to be with the great Kyle. But more to be coaching under his father in some capacity. He has to form a staff. Lots of guys could move up from positions here in a system that will be run very similar.

Very true. Good point. Looks like it's already happening.

That's what we're talking about. According to McCain Shannihan want's Dennison in Washington to "coach the run game".

Yep right as I posted that it came up here :) lol never fails.

We could offer him a promotion, problem is that how long will it be for? If Kubiak doesn't follow up this season with making the playoffs he likely won't be retained himself.

Best thing Mike could offer him is job security in Washington. I wouldn't put it past him as well to have Synder open the checkbook for a big raise for him as well if that would lure him there.

No More 8-8's
01-06-2010, 12:34 PM
What are the possibilites that Gibbs could leave for Shanahan?

barrett
01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Doesn't seem very likely in my mind. He's teetering on retirement as it is.

feebleminded
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM

I think there is still plenty of bad blood over the way Shanny Sr. whacked Gibbs Jr. in Denver.

Section516
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
How long did it take us to promote bush?
- Is that a reasonable time line to promote a new O cord? I'm curious as who'll it'll be. I hate the unknown! :headhurts:

OzzO
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM

And it's more stable in Redskins camp with Snyder overseeing the show?

4Texans
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Sometimes the talk up of a coach can get them promoted.

Kind of like in Tampa Bay with Raheem Morris. It's worked out well for them.:kitten:

4Texans
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I really would have like to have seen Kubiak and Munchak work together in some capacity. I think they could come up with some creative schemes for a rushing attack.:chef:

barrett
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Doesn't seem very likely in my mind. He's teetering on retirement as it is.

Ugh, Diehard Chris is reporting that National Football Post suggests that Alex Gibbs may also head for D.C http://www.houstondiehards.com/?p=7111

in Houston there is so much uncertainty it's going to be hard to say yes.And it's more stable in Redskins camp with Snyder overseeing the show? In the sense that the head coach in D.C. has a 5 year contract and he's one of the longest tenured coaches in football... yup.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Ugh, Diehard Chris is reporting that

In the sense that the head coach in D.C. has a 5 year contract and he's one of the longest tenured coaches in football... yup.

I was sure sooner or later there would be speculation about Gibbs and Shanahan reuniting in DC, but I thought like you from what I've heard I thought he would lean more towards retirement. I can't help but wonder how much input, other than Brown, that Gibbs had on what linemen were kept around or drafted and; what role that might have played in why we haven't turned into RB plug and play offense.

I think a lot could be predicated on whether Dennison goes there or comes here. Next few weeks will be interesting for sure as Mike starts rounding up his staff.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
If he steals Dennison and takes away Gibbs, THEN I'll be a little upset. I didn't much at all with Kyle.

kiwitexansfan
01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
In the sense that the head coach in D.C. has a 5 year contract and he's one of the longest tenured coaches in football... yup.

I think that a 5 year contract with Snyder means jack be nimble. Snyder has deep pockets and a short temper, if he doesn't perform he's GONE!!

As for Gibbs, I don't really care if he goes. He has hardly set our running game alight.

4Texans
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Ex Denver OC Bates is getting interest from Chicago. Is he on Kubiaks radar?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/uscs-bates-linked-to-nfl-opening/

Jeremy Bates has been rumored for at least a month to be a candidate to return to the NFL after one season at Southern Cal.

Now, there's an "official" rumor to attach to the coordinator's name.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Chicago Bears have contacted Bates about their offensive coordinator vacancy. The fit is obvious as current Bears quarterback Jay Cutler whined like a b-tch lobbied for Bates to stay in Denver after Mike Shanahan was dismissed.

Bates didn't as he moved on to the Trojans; Cutler didn't either as he was traded to the Bears during the offseason.

If this rumor is indeed true -- and we have no reason to think it isn't -- it would come as no surprise to the USC football program. Way back in early December, head coach Pete Carroll acknowledged there was a chance of "losing" Bates after just one season.

"That could certainly happen," Carroll said at the time. "He's highly regarded and he's done enough work in the league that guys know."

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Look at the number of OL & Offensive assitant head coaches we've got. I think Gibbs has done his job, & he's got replacements already in place. We'll be fine without him.

Now if Denver were to take little Gibb I would be upset.... Ray Rhodes, not so much.

phantom17
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I would not mind Dennisen as OC! I was wonderin' any good replacement candidates if Rhodes & Gidds leaves the team?:kitten:

silvrhand
01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
ROFL, I hear Mike Leach is looking for a job.

Section516
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Weis down, to KC.

I hope we're doing our due diligence here

GNTLEWOLF
01-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Weis down, to KC.

I hope we're doing our due diligence here

I highly doubt we are doing any due diligence to look for and find an OC. Remember the DC search after Richard Smith Was let go? Whoever get the job will be an old Kubiak cronie and is probably already on staff. No need to look for someone who has done it before and is actually qualified...

Malloy
01-08-2010, 06:43 AM
To be honest I'm sure that Kubiak and RS have known about this for a few weeks, they're in contact with whomever they wish to take over. Whether or not they'll get them is another matter exactly.

Silver Oak
01-08-2010, 08:26 AM
If there's one thing our front office does that irritates me, it's that the Texans don't get their name thrown around in these talent hunts like other teams do. I believe in a certain amount of secrecy and behind the scene talks, but get our name out there if just for a smokescreen guys!

You never would even know that we're looking for an OC by the national sports sites.

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Ugh, Diehard Chris is reporting that

I am kind of ok with Gibbs going. I think pure ZBS is out dated, and I think Kubiak doesn't want to insult his mentor by making it hybrid.

b0ng
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I highly doubt we are doing any due diligence to look for and find an OC. Remember the DC search after Richard Smith Was let go? Whoever get the job will be an old Kubiak cronie and is probably already on staff. No need to look for someone who has done it before and is actually qualified...

That's dumb though because the Bush hiring has been great. So if it works out who cares how you get there?

eriadoc
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
So if Gibbs goes to DC with Shanahan and they start dominating in the run game, what will the prevailing thought here be?

Texan4Ever
01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
How about Larry Kirksey, the receivers choach? He has done a good job with developing our receiving corps, why not let him take charge as an OC?

:fans:

rmartin65
01-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I am down with Gibbs leaving. The ZBS did absolutely jack this year.

houstonspartan
01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
If there's one thing our front office does that irritates me, it's that the Texans don't get their name thrown around in these talent hunts like other teams do. I believe in a certain amount of secrecy and behind the scene talks, but get our name out there if just for a smokescreen guys!

You never would even know that we're looking for an OC by the national sports sites.

You are correct. In fact, Jerome Solomon wrote a blog item last spring saying the same thing. He was saying that it's about time for the Texans to be in the mix whenever a big name free agent is up for grabs.

Here's the link: http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/03/post_97.html

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
So if Gibbs goes to DC with Shanahan and they start dominating in the run game, what will the prevailing thought here be?

Portis. He was VERY good in that system. Wonder if Shanny trades him for Champ Bailey...

Goatcheese
01-08-2010, 02:33 PM

I imagine we'll be thinking the O-line has zero talent.

Goldensilence
01-08-2010, 05:10 PM

My thought would be that Gibbs was forced to work with Gary's guys on the OL. IMO you're kind of handcuffed when you've got Brisiel, White, Studdard, and Myers as the bulk of your interior OL. Not saying Winston has been lights out either, but maybe it's me in that soon as Brisiel became the starter instead of Weary he's somewhat struggled.

b0ng
01-08-2010, 07:38 PM
With Jim Mora jr being fired in Seattle, Greg Knapp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Knapp) could be available. There is a Knapp -> Schaub connection.

barrett
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I think that a 5 year contract with Snyder means jack be nimble. Snyder has deep pockets and a short temper, if he doesn't perform he's GONE!!

As for Gibbs, I don't really care if he goes. He has hardly set our running game alight.

I think there is a different set of standards with a new GM and Shannihan in place. Besides, didn't Joe Gibbs retire? He wasn't fired was he?

I think Snyder has shown some growth with this move. Yes he can pay for the best guys but I feel like with this team he's going to have to let them do their jobs to some extent. I think he was more patient with Gibbs at the helm as well and I'd expect him to be the same way again with this crew.

Mr. White
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
I think there is a different set of standards with a new GM and Shannihan in place. Besides, didn't Joe Gibbs retire? He wasn't fired was he?

I think Snyder has shown some growth with this move. Yes he can pay for the best guys but I feel like with this team he's going to have to let them do their jobs to some extent. I think he was more patient with Gibbs at the helm as well and I'd expect him to be the same way again with this crew.

Just like Jerry Jones grew when he hired Parcells. He had the right idea, but it was only a matter till Jerry started meddling again.

I expect the same thing to happen in DC. It'll drive Snyder nuts that someone else is calling the shots.

I predict a messy divorce.

dalemurphy
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Just like Jerry Jones grew when he hired Parcells. He had the right idea, but it was only a matter till Jerry started meddling again.

I expect the same thing to happen in DC. It'll drive Snyder nuts that someone else is calling the shots.

I predict a messy divorce.

Here's the difference: Jerry's ego is so massive that he blows up the organization when the team is winning in order to prove that he is the reason why... Snyder, to this point, has proven to be meddlesome and impatient. However, there is no evidence that he'll do what Jerry did after 1993 or in Parcell's final season. Jerry is special in that way.

I have to agree with Barrett that Snyder is showing growth. He has given control of the football team to two arrogant and talented football guys. Jerry never relinquished the GM title after he removed Jimmy Johnson.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-10-2010, 03:42 AM
So, any new movements at all?

mexican_texan
01-10-2010, 04:14 AM
I don't think we'll have one until the end of the playoffs at the earliest.

Carr Bombed
01-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Adam Schefter just said Rick Dennison is basically a shoe in for the job, he has a meeting with the Texans Monday.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Good news there.

Goatcheese
01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Adam Schefter just said Rick Dennison is basically a shoe in for the job, he has a meeting with the Texans Monday.

Woot! Great choice. :clap: