PDA

View Full Version : suprise!! A denver Assisstant being interviewed..

2slik4u
01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Well its no shocker here. It seems we are in talks with the Denver OC. Im sure the talks are just a formality. He probably was the OC in waiting behind shanahan.

Not saying I dont want him here, I just think there are better OC's out there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4813403

D-Frank
01-10-2010, 01:58 PM
i heard that guy was kubs best friend also, shefter said expect him here monday

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Actually it's no surprise really that he's going to be interviewed and likely the next OC here. At least in name, because I doubt Kubiak lets go of the reins of play calling.

What is a bit of a surprise is that Kubiak managed to get the interview first instead of Shannahan. If he does get the job I wonder what the chances are that Gibbs goes to D.C.

TexanSam
01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Didn't know they're best friends. I guess that's kinda cool if they wind up coaching together

Mr. White
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't have a problem with it.

If Kubiak's gonna run his system, he may as well get his own guys to run it.

steelbtexan
01-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Dennison will be a good hire.

He understands Kubes system and is a ZBS OL coach.

hookinreds
01-10-2010, 02:06 PM
i heard that guy was kubs best friend also, shefter said expect him here monday

Exactly...he'll be the OC Monday. Now I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Marshall. I'm not saying I would give up a first rounder for him becuase WR is not a weekness/need, but how rediculous would it be to have AJ and Marshall for a defense to try and cover.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Well its no shocker here. It seems we are in talks with the Denver OC. Im sure the talks are just a formality. He probably was the OC in waiting behind shanahan.

What other OCs are you thinking about? I think Rick Dennison is exactly who we need.

Exactly...he'll be the OC Monday. Now I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Marshall. I'm not saying I would give up a first rounder for him becuase WR is not a weekness/need, but how rediculous would it be to have AJ and Marshall for a defense to try and cover.

That would be awesome if he could help bring us Marshall. I would not give up a 1st round pick, but would a second (say, next year's second and Andre Davis?).

gary
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't want Marshall yes, he is outstanding but does not know how to deal his problems and he's a headcase him and AJ might cause both lockeroom and coverage problems.

TexCanada
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
I would take Marshall way before TO. Its seems like there is a ton of people on here that would want TO, how would Marshall possibly be worse?

gary
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I do not want TO either.

redwhiteANDblue
01-10-2010, 02:29 PM
That would be awesome if he could help bring us Marshall. I would not give up a 1st round pick, but would a second (say, next year's second and Andre Davis?).
Marshall is worth more than a second rounder. I'm pretty sure we would have to give up 1st rounder.

CoastalTexan
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Dennison also went to Colorado State... He's has both the required pedigrees!

TexCanada
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Marshall is worth more than a second rounder. I'm pretty sure we would have to give up 1st rounder.

Don't forget that Denver HAS to get rid of him. They are not in a very strong position for this deal. It also hurts them that Marshall is considered a "head case" so not as many teams will be interested. There might not be many better deals out there then Davis and a 2nd..then again maybe there is.

DiehardChris
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM

He's not the Denver OC, he's their O-Line coach. Who else do you think is better out there that knows the offense and won't install a totally different system?

mexican_texan
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Dennison also went to Colorado State... He's has both the required pedigrees!

He's almost overqualified.

Jackie Chiles
01-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Hopefully it works out similar to the last assistant Kubiak wanted to hire but wasn't able to until a later date (Bush). Looking at his resume 2008 was very impressive.

"Featuring two tackles in their first-year as starters, Dennison's offensive line was one of the league's most productive units in 2008. Denver's 12 sacks allowed were a franchise record and tied for the NFL lead, and its 6,333 yards of offense ranked second in club history for a single season as well as in the league for the year. Despite being forced to place seven running backs on injured reserve, Dennison's group of linemen also helped the club rank third in the league in yards per rush (4.8)."

He was my 2nd choice behind Munchak when the list came out and hes probably a better fit. I won't be terribly disappointed if elder Gibbs decides to hang em up or depart to Washington now.

Hervoyel
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't turn my nose up at Marshall if he passed the requisite interviews with all the Texans staff and they determined he wasn't the monster he looks like. I don't know if that would actually happen though because he just might be all the trouble he appears to be.

I hope the Broncos let go of Peyton Hillis.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM

A second and fourth and Davis then ;).

Denver has to get rid of Marshall anyway. I'm sure there is some team that would give up their first rounder though. I wouldn't, and that's because of Marshall's attitude. Still wouldn't mind him (or Terrell Owens) on the Texans (at the right price).

Bronco Texan
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
He's not the Denver OC, he's their O-Line coach. Who else do you think is better out there that knows the offense and won't install a totally different system?

He was Kubes replacement at OC when Kubes left in '06. Then he was demoted back to Oline coach when McD came in becUase McD wanted to install his own system but retain the ZBS.

He is the best option for this team. If anyone says otherwise then they don't know what this team needs at the position.

Mr. White
01-10-2010, 02:54 PM

He also worked as OC after Kubiak left according to his bio. He actually got demoted when Daniels came in.

Jackie Chiles
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM

That would be very nice. If they don't I wonder if we couldn't get him for a 7th. He is pretty much glued to the bench right now anyway. Would be a good fit on this team as a RB and a back up FB.

DiehardChris
01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I understand he got demoted... but he's not the Denver OC. That makes a big difference because it's not a lateral move.

Anyway, we all know it's just a formality. Unless "Gary Kubiak's dear close friend" Mike Shanahan wants him, then Kubiak will go all aw shucks on us and allow him to go to DC without a fight.

(I love Kubiak, but I wish he was more of a dick sometimes.)

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Anyway, we all know it's just a formality. Unless "Gary Kubiak's dear close friend" Mike Shanahan wants him, then Kubiak will go all aw shucks on us and allow him to go to DC without a fight.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Kubiak needs some Pollard in him.

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I understand he got demoted... but he's not the Denver OC. That makes a big difference because it's not a lateral move.

Amen. A little Bill Bellecheck would do him wonders.

steelbtexan
01-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Denver would do a D.Anderson for Hillis deal?

I would be all over that.

If I had to throw in a 5th rd. pick that would be OK.

Hillis would solve the short yardage problem. Hillis has untapped potential. IMO

mussop
01-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Denver has already stated they would want a 1st and a 3rd for Marshall. There will be teams lining up for his services but not at that price. He is one of the top 5 most talented WR's in football.

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Denver has already stated they would want a 1st and a 3rd for Marshall. There will be teams lining up for his services but not at that price. He is one of the top 5 most talented WR's in football.

See, Denver is asking for too much. Teams know that Brandon Marshall will not play for the Broncos. Is Denver just going to let him sit?

Wolf
01-10-2010, 03:39 PM
then Denver will trade him to the Pats for a 4th when everyone balks at the 1st and 3rd thing

:kitten:

:tease:

Bronco Texan
01-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I wonder if Denver would do a D.Anderson for Hillis deal?

I would be all over that.

If I had to throw in a 5th rd. pick that would be OK.

Hillis would solve the short yardage problem. Hillis has untapped potential. IMO

Personally I wouldn't mind Hillis, but I'd also want Sheffler. Think of the possiblities with OD and Sheffler on the field at the same time with a double TE sets

IBleedTexans
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
See, Denver is asking for too much. Teams know that Brandon Marshall will not play for the Broncos. Is Denver just going to let him sit?

I dont know u have moron's like Al Davis, Jerry The Fairy ,and Dan Snyder that are just about legally Retarted , and would give up alot for a wide out that would sell out seats . On a much better note think about what a damn good o line coach could do for our running game . Slaton's gonna be a beast next year.Hopefully Rick Dennison can convince smithiak to trade for a hell of a center

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 03:59 PM

Josh McDaniels is out of his freaking mind. We do our best work in the third round, and would never give that pick up. Pass.

JimC
01-10-2010, 04:17 PM

There's no way Dennison would go to DC. Mike Shanahan is making his son the Offensive Coordinator, so that job is filled. If the Texans offer Dennison the OC job, he wouldn't go to DC to take a lesser job and Mike wouldn't ask him to.

I like this choice. He was Shanahan's last OC in Denver, which means he ran the same "pure Denver" system as Kyle installed last year. There shouldn't be much change in the terminology or the play book. He should be able to step into Kyle's shoes with minimal disruption.

When you have a top 5 offense and lose your Offensive Coordinator, a clone is the best possible option. Dennison is as close to a clone as the Texans could get.

Wolf
01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree, Jim.. how many OC have we had in the last 4 years going on 5 .. 4 new OC? I think it would be a good move also at this point

Bronco Texan
01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
There's no way Dennison would go to DC. Mike Shanahan is making his son the Offensive Coordinator, so that job is filled. If the Texans offer Dennison the OC job, he wouldn't go to DC to take a lesser job and Mike wouldn't ask him to.

I like this choice. He was Shanahan's last OC in Denver, which means he ran the same "pure Denver" system as Kyle installed last year. There shouldn't be much change in the terminology or the play book. He should be able to step into Kyle's shoes with minimal disruption.

When you have a top 5 offense and lose your Offensive Coordinator, a clone is the best possible option. Dennison is as close to a clone as the Texans could get.

I think Dennison is actually better than Kyle. He has been coaching longer and in this system since he started. Also he has extensive work with the ZBS. Lets not forget that Kyle has only been coaching in this system for 4 years now.

DiehardChris
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Let's not forget that the Redskins offered Cincinnati TWO first round picks for Chad Johnson two years ago. There will be takers for Marshall, even at that price.

DiehardChris
01-10-2010, 04:28 PM

That was sarcasm... a shot at all the nice guy shit between Kubes and Shanny.

Bronco Texan
01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Let's not forget that the Redskins offered Cincinnati TWO first round picks for Chad Johnson two years ago. There will be takers for Marshall, even at that price.

Yeah this team doesn't want or need Marshall. I think Scheffler would be a better fit and would be cheaper. This offense knows what it is like to lose your top TE. I think someone like Scheffler could come in a not only do what OD can, but add another distraction for opposing defenses. Imagine OD and Scheff on the field at the same time. OUCH!!

2slik4u
01-10-2010, 05:03 PM

im not necessarily out on him. I just wish we brought in some different staff other than the Denver crew. It would be one thing if we were 11-5 or 10-6 for the last few years but cmon we barely scraped to 9-7. Dont get me wrong, I am more than thrilled of where we ended up when compared to the last few years but by no means has this been a 100% successful tenure.

Im not condemning him right now but I am a bit skeptical. I would like to see someone from a more successful team come over.

This is all at first glance......and yes my fault.. O line coach, not OC.

Why do you think he is the right fit?

The Pencil Neck
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM

He was an OC under Shanahan. He knows this system. He's worked with Kubiak before and knows what he wants and what he likes. Kubiak doesn't have to train him to get him up to speed.

AND, he knows OL.

2slik4u
01-10-2010, 05:10 PM

I will say this, if anything it looks like he will get the running game going which is something we definately need.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I would totally support this hire.

And if he could bring anyone over with him, I'd want it to be Hillis.

False Start
01-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I really hope the Texans can land this guy. Hes worked with Kubiak before, knows the offense, and hes good friends with Gary. I think all those things are positives, and can only help the team get better. :clap:

Silver Oak
01-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I would think NFL coaches would want to hire someone they have never worked with or met. Hiring someone you had never even met before would be a plus as well.

:sarcasm:

Carr Bombed
01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
It would be one thing if we were 11-5 or 10-6 for the last few years but cmon we barely scraped to 9-7.

I really wouldn't classify Houston as a team that "barely scraped to 9-7". That would be the NY Jets who had two teams lay down like dogs (How do you feel about that now Cincy, LOL). Honestly Houston "stumbled" to a 9-7 record. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and underachieved to a 9-7 record. When I sit back and watch football this playoff weekend it's absolutely sickening, because there is no reason why we shouldn't be playing this weekend. (thanks Chris Brown.......and Kris Brown...and all the other RBs who laid the ball on the ground)

There's no need to bring in some guy who needs to totally change the offense (that would be cutting off our nose to spite our face).....the offense is pretty good as is. What they need is someone who can come in and correct just a couple mistakes (running game and fumbling) within the offense we have now. Hopefully Dennison can do that. God knows Denver was a MUCH better running team than Houston has been over the last 4 years with that guy.

Lucky
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Dennison's a FOKer. No surprise here.

He's coached a lot of successful running games without a lot of big name backs. Should provide a nice counterbalance to Kubiak' s passing attack. On paper, maybe Kubiak's best hire ever.

SheTexan
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I've read everything you guys have posted about Dennison, and he seems like a good hire. BUT, for some reason Kubiaks "buddy" system, and using the Texans to improve the ranks of his friends, just does not set well with me. I'm still pissed at the baby Shanahan BS. The Texans was nothing but a training ground for Kyle, and GK knew that. At first I was dumb enough to believe they were just priming "baby" for a run at he HC position of the Texans, but, how completely stupid I was to believe that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, go out and hire the BEST, regardless of friendship. If this Dennison is the best, then so be it, but, stop this crap of using our team to advance GKs friends career. JMO!

GuerillaBlack
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
im not necessarily out on him. I just wish we brought in some different staff other than the Denver crew. It would be one thing if we were 11-5 or 10-6 for the last few years but cmon we barely scraped to 9-7. Dont get me wrong, I am more than thrilled of where we ended up when compared to the last few years but by no means has this been a 100% successful tenure.

Im not condemning him right now but I am a bit skeptical. I would like to see someone from a more successful team come over.

This is all at first glance......and yes my fault.. O line coach, not OC.

But who would you have rather had?

I don't remember Chad Johnson doing the things Marshall did this earlier this year and last week.

Maddict5
01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I fully endorse this hire- a guy who knows exactly what we're doing & will continue that, will mesh well with kubiak & has a proven successful track record. Best possible hire imo

2slik4u
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I really wouldn't classify Houston as a team that "barely scraped to 9-7". That would be the NY Jets who had two teams lay down like dogs (How do you feel about that now Cincy, LOL). Honestly Houston "stumbled" to a 9-7 record. They shot themselves in the foot repeatedly and underachieved to a 9-7 record. When I sit back and watch football this playoff weekend it's absolutely sickening, because there is no reason why we shouldn't be playing this weekend. (thanks Chris Brown.......and Kris Brown...and all the other RBs who laid the ball on the ground)

There's no need to bring in some guy who needs to totally change the offense (that would be cutting off our nose to spite our face).....the offense is pretty good as is. What they need is someone who can come in and correct just a couple mistakes (running game and fumbling) within the offense we have now. Hopefully Dennison can do that. God knows Denver was a MUCH better running team than Houston has been over the last 4 years with that guy.

Agreed. good post. With dennison probably coming in and Shanahan out, if Dennison fixes the running game can we expect a slow down in the passing game and possibly the Texans becoming a powerful ZBS running team like Denver was?

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Good points. And, I agree about watching the games this weekend. It's frustrating. We should be there. Hopefully, our guys are just as frustrated as we are, and it fires them up for next year.

Jackie Chiles
01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I think this could be a guy that can stick around as our OC (assuming Kubiak gets us over the hump which is far from certain) for a while. Good coach, good fit, potential for a long-term relationship, good stuff.

Ghostform
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I heard GK is trying to rename Reliant stadium to Mile High.

Goatcheese
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Some info on Denny for anyone who missed it.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1343146&postcount=189

False Start
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
The new guy:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/rickdennison.jpg

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM

LOL. You're getting your first rep just for making me laugh out loud.

New_Texans
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I've read everything you guys have posted about Dennison, and he seems like a good hire. BUT, for some reason Kubiaks "buddy" system, and using the Texans to improve the ranks of his friends, just does not set well with me. I'm still pissed at the baby Shanahan BS. The Texans was nothing but a training ground for Kyle, and GK knew that. At first I was dumb enough to believe they were just priming "baby" for a run at he HC position of the Texans, but, how completely stupid I was to believe that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, go out and hire the BEST, regardless of friendship. If this Dennison is the best, then so be it, but, stop this crap of using our team to advance GKs friends career. JMO!

Im certain that if you look at many great coaches coaching trees, those guys underneath them have had long relationships and would be "buddies" Caldwell and Dungy and Tomlin and Gruden and Childress...all buddies from that same lineage of coaches.

Maddict5
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM

im quite partial to mile highiant stadium in houston

JimC
01-10-2010, 08:42 PM

I understand what you're saying, but it makes sense from several different perspectives.

First, Kubiak is committed to the Denver offensive system. It makes sense to hire people into his offense that are trained in that same system. It keeps everyone on the same page.

Second, like any other head coach Kubiak's future depends in large part upon the success of other subordinates. It makes perfect sense that he would trust people he knows and has worked with more than people he does not know.

Finally, you must remember that coaching at any level tends to be a short-term job, but a long-term career. It pays to have very good relationships with a group of coaches at the NFL and college levels, since they may be giving you your next job. I would expect Kubiak to treat the Shanahans, Mike Sherman, and other coaches as if they were his closest friends on Earth. In two years, Kubiak could be the Assistant Head Coach working under Shanahan or Sherman...

It is better to have a few really good friends who will stick their necks out for you than a large number of acquaintances who won't. That is the nature of coaching.

dalemurphy
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM

It's not just about friendship. These guys have worked together on this identical offensive system. So, there won't be a learning curve for the new OC or for the players having to learn a new system. Also, Kubiak knows how the man works: his strengths and weaknesses and can further address his weaknesses with another hire, his own involvement, etc... This offense has always been Kubiak's offense. He's just choosing the next guy who he wants to assist him with it.

texansdrummer
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I believe that this guy is the best choice. Spare me the anti-Bronco speak, Kubiak needs someone who already knows the ropes and knows the system. Personally I'd be extremely alarmed of any candidate that did NOT have this lineage, most specifically to this particular opening. It'd be different if this was any other element besides the offense, IMO. In those cases, sure....think outside of the box (errrr Mile High Stadium). Other than the running game, I'm pretty OK with our offense. (I'm not interested in hiring a OC with a completely different approach just to see less criticism on this board). Even better....this guy has O-Line experience - maybe he can get the running game back on track. I'm fairly certain that will be his primary concern from day one.

Giggity

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Really I want to be excited about this hire, but I'm still curious if I'm going to have the same questions I did with Kyle.

Was he really in control of the offense? Would Rick have play calling duties? Can he keep the on the gas in the second half? If someone clearly isn't working as a running back will he have the authority to put them on the bench where he belongs?

Honestly what would make me happy is if Dennison would have enough of Kubiak's attention/respect to be able to say "Gary seriously, HB pass by Chris Brown?" or "You know instead of trying to play keep away in the second half how about we put our foot on our opponents throats in the second half."

If we get that I'll be pleased.

texansdrummer
01-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Really I want to be excited about this hire, but I'm still curious if I'm going to have the same questions I did with Kyle.

Was he really in control of the offense? Would Rick have play calling duties? Can he keep the on the gas in the second half? If someone clearly isn't working as a running back will he have the authority to put them on the bench where he belongs?

Honestly what would make me happy is if Dennison would have enough of Kubiak's attention/respect to be able to say "Gary seriously, HB pass by Chris Brown?" or "You know instead of trying to play keep away in the second half how about we put our foot on our opponents throats in the second half."

If we get that I'll be pleased.

I think that due to the fact that this guy has significant experience will likely make your concerns realized. This guy was the first choice for OC originally. He's got a lot more experience than Shanny Jr. and I'm confident he'll have his say in things much more than Jr. did. Everybody knows how Kubiak likes to go with the veteran....in the case of an OC, that could be a good thing.

infantrycak
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Honestly what would make me happy is if Dennison would have enough of Kubiak's attention/respect to be able to say "Gary seriously, HB pass by Chris Brown?"

What makes you think that play wasn't Shanahan's suggestion to begin with?

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I think that due to the fact that this guy has significant experience will likely make your concerns realized. This guy was the first choice for OC originally. He's got a lot more experience than Shanny Jr. and I'm confident he'll have his say in things much more than Jr. did. Everybody knows how Kubiak likes to go with the veteran....in the case of an OC, that could be a good thing.

Really I hope so.

What makes you think that play wasn't Shanahan's suggestion to begin with?

I guess that's my problem. Did anyone really know when Kubiak took over play calling? Who scripted the plays? Why didn't either one override each other on what should've been obviously a bad idea?

infantrycak
01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I guess that's my problem. Did anyone really know when Kubiak took over play calling? Who scripted the plays? Why didn't either one override each other on what should've been obviously a bad idea?

We know the stated system. Shanahan calling plays with Kubiak having override authority. Beyond that we really know squat.

Ole Miss Texan
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Honestly what would make me happy is if Dennison would have enough of Kubiak's attention/respect to be able to say "Gary seriously, HB pass by Chris Brown?"
I still don't see why people have such a problem with that playcall... other than the fact that it didn't work (turnover). I actually thought it was nice to see a little "trickery" instead of the 3 straight running plays... then a missed FG.

People are mad b/c CB made a terrible throw. It was actually a brilliant playcall because if you watch it, we had a guy (Dreesen or Walter?) wide open in the endzone. Brown just threw the ball while getting tackled and had no juice on it. Yet everyone blames Kubiak/Shanahan. Some people want him gone so much they blame him for anything.

steelbtexan
01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
No fans were mad that C.Brown was on the field and allowed to throw the HB pass.

Nothing good ever happens when C.Brown touches the ball.

The fans could see this. Kubes couldn't see it though.

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
We know the stated system. Shanahan calling plays with Kubiak having override authority. Beyond that we really know squat.

So I guess ultimately we're left with who knows? I love the Chicken or Egg argument with Kubiak and Shannahan. Was it one or the other? Ultimately Kubiak repeatedly has insisted it's all on him.

I still don't see why people have such a problem with that playcall... other than the fact that it didn't work (turnover). I actually thought it was nice to see a little "trickery" instead of the 3 straight running plays... then a missed FG.

People are mad b/c CB made a terrible throw. It was actually a brilliant playcall because if you watch it, we had a guy (Dreesen or Walter?) wide open in the endzone. Brown just threw the ball while getting tackled and had no juice on it. Yet everyone blames Kubiak/Shanahan. Some people want him gone so much they blame him for anything.

Ok this is just my opinion obviously, but teams that win consistently force other teams to adjust to what they do, not the other way around. Kubiak(or Shannahan, whomever, whatever) does opposing defenses a huge favor by not trying to get the ball to his best players in a way that suits their strong points.

IMO if we don't try and target AJ inside the 10 at least once we're underselling ourselves. AJ should get at least one fade throw to the corner of the endzone. He's physical enough to use his body to shield defenders on a slant and go up for a pass. Why try and pound Slaton up the middle when his speed better suits him to turn the corner on a toss or stretch run?

To me the point is why not keep the ball in the hands of your best decision maker Matt Schaub? Why not try and get the ball to your best playmakers? To me that's why it was a bad play call.

phantom17
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
I think he will be a good hire! I would not mind this signing!:)

DexmanC
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM

It WOULD have been a brilliant playcall ONLY if it'd worked, OR if it were called
in a different SITUATION. You must consider the situation in order
to assess the quality of that call. We were down by 7, at the top of the
4th quarter, in a MUST SCORE SITUATION. We had 3 more downs to put
the ball into a better player's hands with a better playcall. We essentially
clinched a loss on that playcall in that situation.

Before you bring up what we did against the Patriots, it doesn't compare. Jacksonville's
running game was pounding at us all game long. We didn't have enough possessions
remaining in the game to ward off the flood gates by turning the ball over in that situation.

hookinreds
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't turn my nose up at Marshall if he passed the requisite interviews with all the Texans staff and they determined he wasn't the monster he looks like. I don't know if that would actually happen though because he just might be all the trouble he appears to be.

I too would like to see the Texans take a look at Hillis. That guy has some fire and can probably be on the cheap.

HoustonFrog
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Because stats and pedigree says that you have Schaub and AJ to work in the red zone...not Chris Brown.

As for this hire...fine..I was a Musgrave fan because of his work with Schaub, etc

Lucky
01-10-2010, 11:40 PM
As for this hire...fine..I was a Musgrave fan because of his work with Schaub, etc
Is Musgrave under contract in Atlanta? If not, why not bring Musgrave in as QB coach? The Texans need one, as Baby Shanny was both OC & de facto QB coach.

Houston_Fanatic
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM

LOL. Well, it has better karma than the new diaphragm field does.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2010, 01:36 AM

I thought it was a good play call. Like you said, the TE was wide freaking open. If CB had just executed the play correctly, that would have been a touch. IIRC, he hesitated and then got hit as he threw and that blew up the play.

TexanBacker93
01-11-2010, 06:04 AM
This is the best hire available. He knows the offense and has coached with Kubiak before. This team has a potent offense they don't need someone brand new to learn the intricacies. Get the running game back in order and they are set.

Thorn
01-11-2010, 07:56 AM
This is the best hire available. He knows the offense and has coached with Kubiak before. This team has a potent offense they don't need someone brand new to learn the intricacies. Get the running game back in order and they are set.

A lot of comments along this line, and I agree with them. Kubiak is in charge, and as long at that's true let him run things like he wants them run. Organizations that screw with the head coaches decision making on the field(whether they deserve it or not) will likely fail worse than just letting the HC do his job.

DeMarCushPoll
01-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Denver will not allow him to go to DC because it would be a lateral move. They won't even allow him to interview with them. He will be our next OC and is the best choice IMO.

BigBull17
01-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Why hire a guy who could change thing going into your do or die season? There isn't a whole lot to fix with what we do, so not a huhe change needed.

H.C.4100-Bloc
01-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Another denver Assisstant and another excuse on why the run game wont work:thinking::thinking::thinking:

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Is Musgrave under contract in Atlanta? If not, why not bring Musgrave in as QB coach? The Texans need one, as Baby Shanny was both OC & de facto QB coach.

I think he is under contract and they were having to ask if they could interview him. I just know Schaub loved working with him and he had worked with Gibbs. But now that the rumor is that Gibbs may be gone and the fact that Musgrave would come into a deal where he could be gone after a year and Dennison probably makes sense. Might as well live or die by the connections.

ChampionTexan
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
I think he is under contract and they were having to ask if they could interview him. I just know Schaub loved working with him and he had worked with Gibbs. But now that the rumor is that Gibbs may be gone and the fact that Musgrave would come into a deal where he could be gone after a year and Dennison probably makes sense. Might as well live or die by the connections.

Has there been any news on Gibbs (or even semi-informed speculation) beyond the blurb from Mike Lombardi on the National Football Post?

Kaiser Toro
01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
This would be great hire for Kubiak and his coaching tree. Hopefully, this hire will be great for the Texans.

TimeKiller
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
We still have Bruce Matthews roaming around the stadium right?

I bet he could show these kids a thing or two about blocking....

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Has there been any news on Gibbs (or even semi-informed speculation) beyond the blurb from Mike Lombardi on the National Football Post?

Just that and radio talk the lst 2 days...probably stemming from that and the fact that Dennison is an O-line guy. They have Matthews and about 6 other coaches for the O it seems.

GuerillaBlack
01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I thought it was a good play call. Like you said, the TE was wide freaking open. If CB had just executed the play correctly, that would have been a touch. IIRC, he hesitated and then got hit as he threw and that blew up the play.

Wait, who didn't execute the play correctly? Chris Brown? That must be why.

DexmanC
01-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Wait, who didn't execute the play correctly? Chris Brown? That must be why.

Exactly. Chris Brown ain't exactly Joseph Addai.

sbalderrama
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

in 2008 under Dennison Denver had the #2 Total Offense, and Cutler threw for 4526, 25TDs against 18ints. Denver may not have been successful that year, but it wasn't the offense's fault. McHoodie was an ***** for messing up a very successful offense, and Shanahan even said on his way out that he'd hoped a new coach wouldn't screw up something that was working very well.

Dennison won't even cause a burp in our offense if he comes here, except maybe to help the run game get better. he's the perfect choice.

Double Barrel
01-11-2010, 06:05 PM
A second and fourth and Davis then ;).

Denver has to get rid of Marshall anyway. I'm sure there is some team that would give up their first rounder though. I wouldn't, and that's because of Marshall's attitude. Still wouldn't mind him (or Terrell Owens) on the Texans (at the right price).

I agree. I'm for any decision that makes this team better on the field. Many teams passed on Pollard because of their perception, but he wanted to play in Houston when he got here and that made all the difference.

It's not a big difference, because Denver could still have blocked the interview request.

Look what the Titans did with Munchak. He's a line coach and they refused to allow us to interview him for the OC gig.

Munchak off Texans OC candidates list (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6800366.html)

The Texans have removed Tennessee Titans offensive line coach Mike Munchak from their list of candidates to replace offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

Jackie Chiles
01-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Update from the main site:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6012

Looks like we might not know for certain until tomorrow or the following day.

TEXANRED
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
If he does get hired I like the move. Coming from the Denver system and already knowing the offense means that we are not going to skip a beat.

This also means Dennison will be a head coach within two years.

barrett
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Update from the main site:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6012

Looks like we might not know for certain until tomorrow or the following day.

"He's going to be leaving here today with a chance to sit down and talk to his wife about our situation, and hopefully we'll have an answer here within the next 24-48 hours," Kubiak said.

This ***** better not ruin this for us!!

Just kidding.

This fit get's even better by the way, I didn't know exactly who of the current staff was familar with him and it looks even better than I imagined!

Dennison also coached in Denver with Texans assistants Alex Gibbs, Brian Pariani, Frank Bush, Ray Rhodes and David Gibbs.

"(He's) a guy that can walk in the room with the offense staff right now, he knows five out of those seven guys in there, has worked with many of them. We don't need to miss a beat here. We need to keep going forward, and Rick gives us a chance to go forward real quickly and obviously gives me a comfort zone from my time with him."

One of the really big benefits here is we would have a true successor to Gibbs in terms of the ZBS scheme from a knowledge base standpoint upon his retirement.

Lucky
01-11-2010, 08:44 PM
One of the really big benefits here is we would have a true successor to Gibbs in terms of the ZBS scheme from a knowledge base standpoint upon his retirement.
I would hope that Dennison would bring more flexibility in regards to the blocking schemes. The pure ZBS seems to limit this team in the red zone.

houstonspartan
01-12-2010, 12:54 AM
this ***** better not ruin this for us!!

just kidding.

This fit get's even better by the way, i didn't know exactly who of the current staff was familar with him and it looks even better than i imagined!

One of the really big benefits here is we would have a true successor to gibbs in terms of the zbs scheme from a knowledge base standpoint upon his retirement.

lmfao!!!!