PDA

View Full Version : Team Scapegoat: Whose it for you?

m5kwatts
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Which one of these players do you feel strongest about being the team scapegoat? Who are you most upset with as you watch this team NOT in the playoffs?

brakos82
01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
CHKris Brown.

Cjeremy635
01-09-2010, 09:00 PM
CHKris Brown.

This (both).....but I tend to lean more towards Kris Brown.

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm going with the injuries to the OL.

pbat488
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Dan Riley.

Goatcheese
01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Did you really need more than 2 options?

thunderkyss
01-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Steve Slaton.

If he would have not come down with fumblitus we wouldn't have seen Chris Brown more then 6 times a game, we wouldn't have been asking Kris brown to kick high preessure kicks, and every body in Houston would have been drinking the Kool aide as we clinched a wild card spot in week 14.

thunderkyss
01-09-2010, 09:16 PM

We returned all five starting linemen from '08. And had no running game against the Jets or Jacksonville. It's hard for me to blame the OL. Kubiak wasn't going to let them do what they proved they were good at last year. He was going to get his ZBS installed 100% this year. A bad call by Kubiak I think, but I understand his position & give him props for sticking to his guns.

If you watched the OL over the last 5 games, I believe we have 6 guys who can play Alex Gibbs' ZBS, & at least 1) who can do well in that system.

CloakNNNdagger
01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
A scapegoat is usually one who is a player that does not deserve the blame..............for sure, all of the above mentioned can take a bow for being less than helpful in our 2009 playoff aspirations.

Hervoyel
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM

I disagree. I've read so often over the season variations of the "But for this mistake by Chris Brown (of Steve Slaton, or Ryan Moats, or.....) or that missed FG by Kris Brown the Texans would have won" and that it wasn't so much the way Gary conducts his business this year that hurt us as the mistakes and failures to execute (apologies to Dom for using his trademark phrase).

If we accept this as true then it wasn't the OL injuries that caused Chris Brown to fumble the ball and it wasn't the injured OL that caused Kris Brown to miss all of those kicks (The man left 34 points on the field this year). The OL didn't throw those pick 6's either.

Yes, absolutely the job is easier if they're all healthy. No doubt about it. The running game started out awful and never really righted itself until the last two games or so with the emergence of Foster and the backups finally getting a little "gelling" going on. If our starters had stayed healthy then maybe the running game comes around a little sooner.

But we had an effective offense without it.

With the 34 points on the board that Kris Brown missed we jump up into the top 10 in scoring going from 388 points to 422.

The Browns killed our season. They were the daggers in our backs. Slaton's problems hurt us and injuries gave us our share of problems but Chris & Kris cost us at least 2 wins between them. Possibly 3.

stingray
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Why is Amobi on this list? He didn't play like Warren Sapp but he wasn't horrible either. And Dunta? The guy stole some money this year but he is hardly a terrible cornerback.

Big Lou
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I voted for Kris Brown because I think he cost us the most games. However Chris Brown makes me the most angry.

Also I feel bad for Kris Brown, he has been the difference in a lot of games for the positive, just not this year. He will be missed, unlike his missed feild goals.

eriadoc
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM
One could argue that Chris Brown tried to fulfill a role that he was not equipped to fill (power back). He wasn't successful as a short yardage back, but there was nothing in his past to realistically suggest that he excelled in that role anyway. Asking any RB not named Tomlinson or Ronnie Brown to complete a HB pass in the scenario in which the play was called was pretty dumb, and again not really Chris Brown's forte.

Kris Brown, on the other hand, was never asked to do anything outside the norm for his job, and he sucked at it.

I also would like to vote for Slaton, though.

stingray
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM
A scapegoat is usually one who is a player that does not deserve the blame..............for sure, all of the above mentioned can take a bow for being less than helpful in our 2009 playoff aspirations.

Well, if you go by that logic, then the whole team except, AJ, Schaub, Cushing, and Pollard would be on that list.

Goatcheese
01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
And Dunta? The guy stole some money this year but he is hardly a terrible cornerback.

Because he wrote "Pay me Rick" on his shoes.

m5kwatts
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Steve Slaton.

If he would have not come down with fumblitus we wouldn't have seen Chris Brown more then 6 times a game, we wouldn't have been asking Kris brown to kick high preessure kicks, and every body in Houston would have been drinking the Kool aide as we clinched a wild card spot in week 14.

Slaton gets an omission due to his injury and being stashed on IR... had he not gotten hurt and finished the season as poorly as he started he would've been on the list but there's no telling what his second half of the season would've been like.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Gotta go with Kris Brown.

I expected Chris Brown to fail.

BattleRedToro
01-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Gary Kubiak.

thunderkyss
01-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Slaton gets an omission due to his injury and being stashed on IR... had he not gotten hurt and finished the season as poorly as he started he would've been on the list but there's no telling what his second half of the season would've been like.

Good point. I'm just saying we started the season thinking he was going to be our factor back, he was supposed to be on the same level as Schaub & AJ. He basically forced Chris Brown into the starting role, way before the injury.

I believe his fumblitus was the single biggest detriment to this team.

beerlover
01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
numerious muffs in critical situations after being rewarded in offseason with entirely too long & rich contract, Kris Brown. what should've been :fieldgoal

Lucky
01-09-2010, 10:20 PM
With the 34 points on the board that Kris Brown missed we jump up into the top 10 in scoring going from 388 points to 422.
No kicker makes every kick. It's the clutch kicks he missed that hurt.

I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won. He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

Not that I am defending Kris Brown. It's time for him to move on. It's to the point where no one wants to watch his field goals attempts, not just Kubiak. But when a team is in the position where the kicker has to make every kick (or every clutch kick), there was a lot of failures elsewhere.

stingray
01-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Because he wrote "Pay me Rick" on his shoes.

And we should blame that on a playoffless season? A little petty?

barrett
01-10-2010, 12:15 AM
"K". But I predict he'll be back after winning out in camp and be rock solid next year.

m5kwatts
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
"K". But I predict he'll be back after winning out in camp and be rock solid next year.

This wouldn't surprise me

JimC
01-10-2010, 01:05 AM
The obvious answer is Kris Brown. He failed to do his job, and every failure cost points. The Texans overcame his problems in some games -- like against the Patriots -- but in a close game against a good team one bad play can mean the difference between a win and a loss. Kris Brown made that bad play too often -- often enough to be responsible for the Texans' failure to make it to the playoffs.

For me, Dunta Robinson is a close second. He purposefully skipped camp and therefore contributed less early in the season, helping the Texans to lose early games that could have gotten them to the playoffs. Of all of the Texans -- including Kris Brown and Chris Brown -- Robinson is the only one who didn't bother to give the team his best effort this year. I don't know if having him ready at the start of the season would have made a difference, but I know they were close and I know he didn't do his part at the beginning.

eriadoc
01-10-2010, 01:10 AM

This wouldn't surprise me

Really? Upon what do you base this prediction on?

Since KB's career average is 77.3%, which puts him solidly in the bottom 25% of all NFL kickers, and he's failed to even hit that lowly average 6 of the past nine seasons, I'm going to predict that one of two things happen - either he loses his job, or the Texans lose games again next year because of him.

barrett
01-10-2010, 01:33 AM
One of the most accurate forms of research - a hunch.

eriadoc
01-10-2010, 01:34 AM
One of the most accurate forms of research - a hunch.

Funny. That's what caused me to start checking numbers on the bum in the first place.

HJam72
01-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Eriadoc's sig. explains it all for me. PLEASE get some competition for K. Brown and, if it's even close, let alone the other guy does better, replace K. Brown.

By the way, I intend to copy that sig.

I have to give a lot of the blame to Slaton as well, considering the incredible drop-off in positive production. Maybe it's because he was asked to gain weight and did. Maybe it's because he will never be consistent from one year to the next. Maybe his rookie season was a bad RB having the year of his life. I hope that between him and Foster, somebody is ON next year....and we have the other one ON too, or a new one that is. This team seriously needs to always have at least one having a good year....and not somebody that plays very little like Foster and finally gets noticed for his YPC in the last few games of the year. Obviously, Foster should have been getting in games a lot more and a lot sooner. That ones on Kubiak. Won't hurt Foster's career, but it has hurt the team this year.

Malloy
01-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Second half playcalling while in the the lead.

Blazin' Toro
01-10-2010, 03:38 AM
Kris Brown was a great kicker when he first started on the team but as he's gotten older, especially this year it seems he has lost the ability to that one thing his job requires of him to do...kick field goals. I say we either draft a kicker or pick someone up off free agency.

Thorn
01-10-2010, 04:14 AM
I voted for Kris Brown, but he doesn't deserve all the credit for us not being in the playoffs. That's pretty much shared by a lot of players and coachs.

Hagar
01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Why is Amobi on this list? He didn't play like Warren Sapp but he wasn't horrible either.

Kidding right? While he had his best year yet, these are still average numbers at best. He's still at least a year behind in his development. Particularly, when you consider he was the 10th overall pick.

Problem is, he's still not the scapegoat on this team ~ all our fumbling tailbacks and K.Brown are easily the scapegoats.

Lucky
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
That's because Kris Brown is Frickin' Awesome!!! :fans:

Sorry. Wrong thread.

infantrycak
01-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won.

Nope. Just can't see it that way on the Colts game. He wouldn't have been kicking to tie the Colts if he hadn't already missed a field goal which would have had them tied already. 6 points missed in a game decided by three is missing to win.

He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

Not that I am defending Kris Brown. It's time for him to move on. It's to the point where no one wants to watch his field goals attempts, not just Kubiak. But when a team is in the position where the kicker has to make every kick (or every clutch kick), there was a lot of failures elsewhere.

Yeah there are failures elsewhere but that happens at every level. The team of the decade has 3 Super Bowl rings from winning off kicks. I find the notion that you should never need to rely on your kicker to be unrealistic. Heck the Patriots probably don't get to 2 or maybe all 3 of those Super Bowls without their kicker. Funny the team they kept out of the playoffs thought their kicker was an edge they needed.

rockabilly
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Kris Brown, as much as I like the guy, better not be on this team next year. If we want to be a playoff team, we need a clutch kicker.

Lucky
01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Nope. Just can't see it that way on the Colts game. He wouldn't have been kicking to tie the Colts if he hadn't already missed a field goal which would have had them tied already. 6 points missed in a game decided by three is missing to win.
Which Colts game are you talking about? I'm referring to at Indy in week 9, where Brown hooked a 42 yarder as time expired. The only other FG attempt Brown had in that game was a 56 yarder at the end of the 1st half (the only points the Texans put on the board in the 1st half). Which he hit. Had Brown not hit that low % attempt in the 2nd Quarter, that last second attempt would have never happened.

You may be referring to the MNF game, where Brown missed 2 49 yard attempts (including the game tying FG). But, if we're to expect Brown to hit every 49 yard attempt, you have to assume that Bironas should have nailed a 49 yarder he missed in the 4th Quarter.

Yes, a kicker that can be counted on is a good thing to have. Brown is no longer that commodity (if he ever was). But, the reason the Texans lost those two AFC South showdowns is due to their "elite" offense's inability to score TDs. That makes Kris Brown a scapegoat.

BigBull17
01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
No kicker makes every kick. It's the clutch kicks he missed that hurt.

I think Kris Brown is the scapegoat. He missed clutch kicks that could have tied games versus the Colts & Titans. Tied, not won. He was in those positions because the Texans offense had trouble scoring in those games. Had the offense took care of business (like an elite offense should), Brown should have not been in those spots.

He missed two fgs vs the Tits, thats a win if he makes them. WHo knows what happens in Indy.

m5kwatts
01-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Really? Upon what do you base this prediction on?

Since KB's career average is 77.3%, which puts him solidly in the bottom 25% of all NFL kickers, and he's failed to even hit that lowly average 6 of the past nine seasons, I'm going to predict that one of two things happen - either he loses his job, or the Texans lose games again next year because of him.

Based on kickers failing in one place, getting cut and having immediate success elsewhere. I can just see us cutting him and him going elsewhere and having a great year. Kicking is a streaky business, sometimes it just takes a mental break to get a guy on track. This said we need to bring in a kicker to push KB in camp.

stingray
01-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Kidding right? While he had his best year yet, these are still average numbers at best. He's still at least a year behind in his development. Particularly, when you consider he was the 10th overall pick.

Problem is, he's still not the scapegoat on this team ~ all our fumbling tailbacks and K.Brown are easily the scapegoats.

That's pretty much what I said... No... he is not Warren Sapp but he isn't the worst DT in the league either. He is just an average joe in the NFL. He needs to improve alot but he is taking some steps.

TexCanada
01-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I can't really bring myself to get mad at Chris Brown. Its not his own fault that he sucks and his coach keeps throwing him out their in big situations.

Lucky
01-10-2010, 11:48 AM
This said we need to bring in a kicker to push KB in camp.
KB in camp? Cut this guy and move on. What could Brown replicate in camp that would alleviate concerns about clutch kicks? Sign a vet kicker and maybe a rookie, and let them kick it out. Brown has to be out.

m5kwatts
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
KB in camp? Cut this guy and move on. What could Brown replicate in camp that would alleviate concerns about clutch kicks? Sign a vet kicker and maybe a rookie, and let them kick it out. Brown has to be out.

Believe me I wouldn't fight it if he was cut but I'm just saying kickers are very streaky and its completely possible he could remake himself and become the kicker he was 2 years ago.

mexican_texan
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Kubiak. He's the one that put those goats on the field.

Mr. White
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Kickers are a dime a dozen to every other NFL team. When a guy loses his mojo, they cut him and pick up another guy that lost his mojo somewhere else.

9 out of 10 times, said kicker finds his rhythm again in a new location.

I have no idea why the Texans can't treat kickers like every other team does.

Speedy
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm not going to blame CHRIS Brown because the guy shouldn't have even been on the team.

This team's inability to close games was the major issue this season. What caused that? A defensive play here, a pick 6 there, a missed field goal everywhere. Lots of things contributed.

Or what about their Jeckyll & Hyde play from half to half? Who's to blame for that? You might not have been in those last second game tying FG situations had you had more consistant play throughout the WHOLE game.

To pick one person though, I would have to go KRIS Brown. He's like a closer in baseball who had a bad year. If a closer has a bad year, he's blowing games you should have won. Yes, I know Brown's missed FG's wouldn't have won those games, but had he made them they're not automatically losses either.

thunderkyss
01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Kickers are a dime a dozen to every other NFL team. When a guy loses his mojo, they cut him and pick up another guy that lost his mojo somewhere else.

Did you see that big ole hug McNair & KBrown shared after our week 17 win?

May not mean anything, but McNair is big on high character guys.

I understand this is a business, & I understand how the rest of the league handles these situations.

But maybe McNair wants his organization run differently. You said yourself, they usually end up finding their rhythm again. What is it about another team that helps that? The fear of losing your job? Maybe.. of being out of the NFL? maybe. But that can't be the only way to get KBrown back to his 2008 form.

steelbtexan
01-10-2010, 01:07 PM
CHKris Brown.

Ditto

It's McNair/Kubes fault that these two Brown turds are still on the team.

They are the reason we aren't watching the Texans in the playoffs this weekend.

steelbtexan
01-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Because Bob McNair owns this team.

He has his favorites.

Winning be damned

Mr. White
01-10-2010, 01:15 PM

Yeah I saw it. It spoke volumes. Looks like he has the same attachment to Kris Brown that he had to David Carr.

I understand this is a business, & I understand how the rest of the league handles these situations.

But maybe McNair wants his organization run differently. You said yourself, they usually end up finding their rhythm again. What is it about another team that helps that? The fear of losing your job? Maybe.. of being out of the NFL? maybe. But that can't be the only way to get KBrown back to his 2008 form.

I think it's a pressure thing. The guy had more riding on his kicks this year than any other year. And he folded again and again.

I think we should just get a kid like Hunter Lawrence from UT. We need a kicker that shows he can split the uprights when a big game is on the line. Kris Brown has shown that he can't handle the pressure of a big game.

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah I saw it. It spoke volumes. Looks like he has the same attachment to Kris Brown that he had to David Carr.

I think it's a pressure thing. The guy had more riding on his kicks this year than any other year. And he folded again and again.

I think we should just get a kid like Hunter Lawrence from UT. We need a kicker that shows he can split the uprights when a big game is on the line. Kris Brown has shown that he can't handle the pressure of a big game.

I saw the McNair hug, and it made me furious. I meant that Kris Brown will likely be our kicker next year.

I'm not a fan of the bring-someone-in-to-compete-with-him strategy. If we do bring another kicker in, it'll be a sham, and Kris will get the job regardless, because the coaches like him.

Kris is a good guy, but, we need to outright release him. As you said, he clearly can't handle pressure games, and next year every single second of every single game will be important.

TexCanada
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I saw the McNair hug, and it made me furious. I meant that Kris Brown will likely be our kicker next year.

I'm not a fan of the bring-someone-in-to-compete-with-him strategy. If we do bring another kicker in, it'll be a sham, and Kris will get the job regardless, because the coaches like him.

Kris is a good guy, but, we need to outright release him. As you said, he clearly can't handle pressure games, and next year every single second of every single game will be important.

I'm not so sure that KB is a shoe in for next year. Kubiak's job is clearly on the line next year, and any fool could see that KB sucked this year. If Kubiak is dumb enough not to upgrade a position of need like that, especially with his job in jeopardy, then Kubes will be out of here at the end of next year.

Hopefully this pressure will make Kubiak explore other options.

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Thunder, come on. You can't be serious. You make it seem as if cutting a kicker when they don't perform in key situations - which is what every other team does - is bad business, and that the correct way is to let the kicker figure things out, even as we lose games.

No way. We don't have time for Kris Brown to see a shrink and work out all of his issues. He's a great guy, and i like him a lot, but we just don't have the time. There is too much at stake.

He appeared to do well when when we were The Little Expansion Team That Could. But, we are a no-joke, up-and-coming franchise, and going forward from here EVERY SINGLE SEASON will be important.

thunderkyss
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Thunder, come on. You can't be serious. You make it seem as if cutting a kicker when they don't perform in key situations - which is what every other team does - is bad business, and that the correct way is to let the kicker figure things out, even as we lose games.

That's not what I'm saying at all.... Kris Brown is still here, I'm saying maybe that's the way McNair sees it.

I'd have let him go, no question about it after that Monday Night game, when he missed two kicks, & we lost by 3.

mariowillshine15
01-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Id say Chris Brown because at least Kris Brown had a track record of being good with us.

Every time Chris Brown was on the field you just waited for something bad to happen and it usually did.

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
That's not what I'm saying at all.... Kris Brown is still here, I'm saying maybe that's the way McNair sees it.

I'd have let him go, no question about it after that Monday Night game, when he missed two kicks, & we lost by 3.

Hold up. We did lose that game by three points, didn't we? Damn. I had forgotten about that. I think that loss was so devastating that I mentally blocked out the details. lol.

Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but, they cut their kicker near the end of the season. Baltimore did the same thing. Both teams knew they were in a possible playoff hunt.

Kickers are so important to a team it's not even funny.

Silver Oak
01-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Why is Amobi on this list?

I'm with ya, my fellow Vikings fan!

gafftop
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I can't really bring myself to get mad at Chris Brown. Its not his own fault that he sucks and his coach keeps throwing him out their in big situations.

I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end. With nobody on the field I think Brown would be doing good to get 10 yards before he fell down on his own. The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB. We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign. Kubiak should be fired before the season starts if Chris Brown takes up a rooster spot. Foster is OK for a 2nd back. Slaton is an unknown. I think he has problems we don't know about. Look at history in college. Started as freshman and then was 2nd string. Moats, love the guy but he is too small. Was very evident in last couple of games when you saw Foster and Moats platooning.

If you want another problem it is our ability to put pressure on the QB. I called out Mario early in the year and got crucified. I don't care that he got in the pro bowl he still drags ass half the time. He is not an instictive driven player. He really could be something if he ever gave it his all. I am afraid though you are born with that.

Another problem and the one that may/will cost us games is the way the coaching staff calls the game. If we were in a race, this staff would slow down if we were ahead and only would run as hard as they could if they were behind. The talent level in the NFL is too close to not try your hardest all the time.

Another thing why the HELL does Kubiak wait until the last four games before he gives he speech about how much football means to him. Oh yeah that's because he doesn't understand that you need that effort for all the season every game, not just when it is practically over.

I hope Kubiak understands EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT. Last year was our best opportunity to make the playoffs. Next year is going to be much harder.
If improvements are not made in coaching staff philosophy/thinking/intensity we will be screaming about the coaches and why the hell did we give Kubiak an extension by the 4th game of the season.

Just my opinion.

Showtime100
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Team Scapegoat: Whose it for you?

Kubiak. The man cost us three games. :bender:

houstonspartan
01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end. With nobody on the field I think Brown would be doing good to get 10 yards before he fell down on his own. The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB. We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign. Kubiak should be fired before the season starts if Chris Brown takes us a rooster spot. Foster is OK for a 2nd back. Slaton is an unknown. I think he has problems we don't know about. Look at history in college. Started as freshman and then was 2nd string. Moats, love the guy but he is too small. Was very evident in last couple of games when you saw Foster and Moats platooning.

If you want another problem it is our ability to put pressure on the QB. I called out Mario early in the year and got crucified. I don't care that he got in the pro bowl he still drags ass half the time. He is not an instictive driven player. He really could be something if he ever gave it his all. I am afraid though you are born with that.

Another problem and the one that may/will cost us games is the way the coaching staff calls the game. If we were in a race, this staff would slow down if we were ahead and only would run as hard as they could if they were behind. The talent level in the NFL is too close to not try your hardest all the time.

Another thing why the HELL does Kubiak wait until the last four games before he gives he speech about how much football means to him. Oh yeah that's because he doesn't understand that you need that effort for all the season every game, not just when it is practically over.

I hope Kubiak understands EVERY GAME IS IMPORTANT. Last year was our best opportunity to make the playoffs. Next year is going to be much harder.
If improvements are not made in coaching staff philosophy/thinking/intensity we will be screaming about the coaches and why the hell did we give Kubiak an extension by the 4th game of the season.

Just my opinion.

Great points all around. Kubiak's week 14 speech was ridiculus. So he FINALLY waits until his back is against the wall to try and inspire his players?

This is why a fast start in the NFL is very important. You start out fast, roll off some wins early and get some momentum. That way, later on in the season, when the injuries start to occur, a loss or two won't kill you. Every year the Texans stumble for 10 games then come out kicking butt. Too late, Jake.

thunderkyss
01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end.

He didn't give up on Slaton until the Buffalo game. Week 8. Which was followed up by back to back to back to back divisional must win games. We lost them all any way, so we can say it was a bad decision now, but going into those games, I wouldn't think anyone would have given a rookie a big workload.
The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB.

I'm not a draft guru, I don't know college players. But I remember many people wanted us to draft a runningback this year. When we didn't they were upset. When they found out we picked up Arian Foster & Jerimiah Johnson, the general thought was they were as good as any back available from our 2nd round pick.

We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign.

Benson, I understand. But when Larry Johnson was made available at our bye week?? I can't believe all that Rick Smith talk about if he sees a player that he thinks we could use, he would sign him, & tell Kubiak later. In our situation, I can't imagine not doing everything you could to sign the big guy.

Just my opinion.

Uh... we haven't given Kubiak an extension have we?? Did I miss something?

Kubiak's livelyhood depends on how well this team plays. I can't believe you think you understand better than he does how important each game is.

To me, it doesn't matter if you make the play-offs or not, if you're not playing good football. & we weren't playing good football at the beginning of the year. The offensive line before the injuries weren't opening any holes, Steve Slaton looked slow, and our defense was giving up 450 ypg.

If we're good enough to get to the play-offs, we'll get to the play-offs. It doesn't matter how "hard" or "easy" the schedule is. I doubt the Colts are looking at next years... well, when the Colts get around to looking at next years schedule, I doubt they're going to say, "damn, we might not make the play-offs in 2010"

Texans#1Fan
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Slaton needs to go! He hurt us in so many games this year. Everytime he touched the ball I held my breath hoping he would not fumble. Kris Brown should have made some of his kicks and didn't. That should not happen. You are getting paid to make field goals and you missed to many. Now, I do say that the Texans have had a better season this year with the defense stepping up after the 3rd week. But, if you are asking my vote it would be slaton!

redwhiteANDblue
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
I think Slaton needs to go! He hurt us in so many games this year. Everytime he touched the ball I held my breath hoping he would not fumble. Kris Brown should have made some of his kicks and didn't. That should not happen. You are getting paid to make field goals and you missed to many. Now, I do say that the Texans have had a better season this year with the defense stepping up after the 3rd week. But, if you are asking my vote it would be slaton!

No I still think Slaton is a weapon. It's almost like your saying cut Matt becuase of a couple of INTs. Yeah I know those fumbles were bad but if he cleans that up he'll be a great back. Kris Brown's FGs are unexplainable he HAS to go.

The Pencil Neck
01-10-2010, 08:40 PM

I don't think Slaton needs to go. I just think we need to start using him as a 3rd down/changeup back and get an every down back in the draft.

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Play calling.

HTown2ATX
01-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Trevor Ariza's jump shot.:kitten:

Oh wait...Texans......gotta go with Kris Brown.:gun:

As we say in Houston..."Can't wait till next year!!!":rake:

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Gary Kubiak.

Agree but I'm going Kris Brown as it relates to Kubes. The guy killed the Texans with his misses but the staff also should have cut him. You are talking at least OT in some games with his kicks.

gafftop
09-28-2011, 08:27 AM
I agree 100% with above. Kubiak is the PROBLEM this year. You really have to question his sanity when you consider how much he used Chis Brown, especially when he did not bring Foster in until the end. With nobody on the field I think Brown would be doing good to get 10 yards before he fell down on his own. The major problem is how Kubiak and the WHOLE coaching staff misjudged the condition of our running backs during the off season. I am the one that started thread during draft " I want a running back". I stated Slaton was drafted to be a 3rd down back and that we got lucky and got more out of him the first season, but we still needed a REAL RB. We had a chance to get BENSON but just did a half ass job of trying to sign. Kubiak should be fired before the season starts if Chris Brown takes up a rooster spot. Foster is OK for a 2nd back. Slaton is an unknown. I think he has problems we don't know about. Look at history in college. Started as freshman and then was 2nd string. Moats, love the guy but he is too small. Was very evident in last couple of games when you saw Foster and Moats platooning.

Just my opinion.

Some things never change.

Hervoyel
09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Not surprising that 4 out of 5 of those guys are gone.

gafftop
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
This thread was started after the 2009 season. This coaching staff is SLOW to see the writing on the wall. Slaton has just now sunk in. I am beginning to maybe change my feeling about Mario a little. I now think he tries as hard as HE can but may just lack the physical ability or instincts. I have not changed my feeling about Kubiak but it is who he is. How long will we stay with KJ? This staff has history of being very slow to change or could it be that they just don't see it? Who knows if changes were made quicker maybe 2009 would have been a playoff year. I know I am living in past but Kubiak and staff just keep doing the same things that remind me of the past.

Mr teX
09-28-2011, 10:14 AM
This thread was started after the 2009 season. This coaching staff is SLOW to see the writing on the wall. Slaton has just now sunk in. I am beginning to maybe change my feeling about Mario a little. I now think he tries as hard as HE can but may just lack the physical ability or instincts. I have not changed my feeling about Kubiak but it is who he is. How long will we stay with KJ? This staff has history of being very slow to change or could it be that they just don't see it? Who knows if changes were made quicker maybe 2009 would have been a playoff year. I know I am living in past but Kubiak and staff just keep doing the same things that remind me of the past.

i don't know of any team that gives up on 1st rounders after 1.3 seasons of play. It's usually around the 3rd year that it becomes possible for that 1st rounder to get cut & you've got to be Vernon Gholston bad to have that happen.

gafftop
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
The point was not to cut Slaton then but for them to realize at the beginning of the 2009 season that maybe they got lucky on Slaton and needed to improve the running backs. This staff doesn't anticipate they react after the fact then it is too late. Cmon Chris B was going to carry load. With any improvement at running back the Texans would have made the playoffs in 2009. I know that is the past but it one instance of how this staff looks at the future.

gafftop
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Just my opinion.

And the beat goes on.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 08:23 PM

:toropalm: and this

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I blame Wagonhead. His existence caused the omen today. :fortune:

brakos82
10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Kris Brown could kick 3 50+yd FG's. :kitten:

gafftop
10-16-2011, 07:50 PM

Just my opinion.

Posted January 2010.
Has anything changed? I think our ability to put pressure on the QB is much better thanks to forcing Kubiak to hire Wade. Not the goat any more. Our running game is much improved. Not the goat anymore. That pretty much leaves Kubiak. This goat will always be around until a change is made. I don't see Kubiak changing his way of thinking.

Again posted at the end of the 2009 season. Coaching does matter.

gafftop
09-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Just my opinion.

Do you really think Kubiak is ever going to change?
Don't count on it. This is 2010