PDA

View Full Version : How do the freaking Bungles deserve to be in the playoffs?

Texans34Life
01-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Such a horrible offensive line and that defense is crap.

Man, my Texans would of put up a fight if they were playing the Jets.

:fans:

houstonspartan
01-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Yeah. As I said in another thread, our guys are better than BOTH of these teams. I hope this fires our guys up for next year. Every game counts.

Goldensilence
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM

They won their division going 6-0 in it. We went 1-5 simple math.

Sure we might be the best non playoff team, but we're still looking on the outside.

Showtime100
01-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Sure we might be the best non playoff team, but we're still looking on the outside.

+1 :tiphat:

Oh, the Jets kicked the Texans ass. I hate that part.

TexanSam
01-09-2010, 07:55 PM
They're the anti-Texans. They dominated within the division and sucked outside of it.

houstonspartan
01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
They're the anti-Texans. They dominated within the division and sucked outside of it.

LOL!!!

I didn't know they did so well in their division. Well, if that's the case, good for them. They deserved to be there.

This team seems to forget about how important division games are.

Brando
01-09-2010, 08:23 PM

Yet all we had to do was beat the Jets in Week 1.:chef:

Red_Zone
01-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Then how bad must that division be?

What the Bengals need is uniforms that don't look like underoos. Who can take any NFL team seriously when they're traipsing around in unis that look like a pee wee ball team?

Ole Miss Texan
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I was telling everyone we had a really good shot this year if we could just get in the playoffs... and we were so close! KC did their job, Oakland was down 13-14 going into the 4th quarter. If they could have just pulled that upset then...

We'd be in Rd 1 playing Cincinnati. We already beat them and they're playing terrible. Chalk it up for a Texans win and us advancing to the next rd.

Rd 2 we'd be facing the Colts, I think. Both games this year we have been so close. Tough game, but it's not impossible to think we could have won this game.

But hey, we would have at least advanced past the 1st rd!

TEXANRED
01-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Wouldacouldashouda.

We get a chance next year to kick the crap out of that team.

houstonspartan
01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Wouldacouldashouda.

We get a chance next year to kick the crap out of that team.

Exactly. We'll be back...

kastofsna
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
as it turns out, divisional games are kind of important!

Goldensilence
01-11-2010, 10:38 AM

What the Bengals need is uniforms that don't look like underoos. Who can take any NFL team seriously when they're traipsing around in unis that look like a pee wee ball team?

Take it for what it's worth, but only one team in the division finished with a losing record and the other team from the division that made the playoffs just put a pretty good beat down on a pretty good Pats team.

Vinny
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM

What the Bengals need is uniforms that don't look like underoos. Who can take any NFL team seriously when they're traipsing around in unis that look like a pee wee ball team?Steelers defending champs and Ravens a pretty good team.

Texans fans still in peepee herts mode I see.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but only one team in the division finished with a losing record and the other team from the division that made the playoffs just put a pretty good beat down on a pretty good Pats team.

Right and other teams might say the same about the Texans if they concentrate on the 4 middle games before the stretch. Teams hit a bad patch and Cincys was at a bad time. They played good D and were looking nice for awhile.

Steelers defending champs and Ravens a pretty good team. Texans fans still in peepee herts mode I see.

Glad you can say these things :toast2:

Vinny
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Glad you can say these things :toast2:all the whining makes me ill if you want the truth. The fans are becoming a reflection of the marketing dept.

DexmanC
01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
If you finish above .500, and sweep your division (which the Bengals did),
chances are you'd find yourself in the playoffs. It's quite a simple formula,
really.

Bengals 2009
Overall Record: 10-6
Record vs. Division: 6-0
Record against everybody else: 4-6

So, basically. They did the reverse of what the Texans do every year, and
got in. If you own your division record, you'll have a MUCH better chance
at clinching a playoff spot. If you beat up on everybody else, you'd BETTER
compete in your own backyard. It's unrealistic to expect the Texans to finish
10-0 against non AFC South opponents. The title of this thread is flat out
ridiculous when you consider the facts.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 11:00 AM
all the whining makes me ill if you want the truth. The fans are becoming a reflection of the marketing dept.

Well I'll get beat up over those words considering my other affiliation but I couldn't agree more. I keep seeing posts about, "We could have beaten ALL of these playoff teams" or that somehow the Texans got screwed out of their place because of some league conspiracy. The truth is, they didn't win games when they needed to and these other teams won in the division and when they needed to. It is no ones fault but their own.

And I know you are at the other board. Hadn't been there in years until a little birdie told me to check on some Cowboy posts....at least one person isn't here....that I know of :)

infantrycak
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
really.

Bengals 2009

10-6 won their division so the 6-0 was never part of the equation on them getting into the playoffs. Yes winning division games is important but you keep coming up with bad examples to make the argument.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Well I'll get beat up over those words considering my other affiliation but I couldn't agree more. I keep seeing posts about, "We could have beaten all of these playoff teams" or that somehow the Texans got screwed out of their place because of some league conspiracy. The truth is, the again didn't win games when they needed to and these other teams won in the division and when they needed to. It is no ones fault but their own.

And I know you are at the other board. Hadn't been there in years until a little birdie told me to check on some Cowboy posts....at least one person isn't here....that I know of :)

The bolded is all that needs to be said about this season. I understand hindsight is blah, blah, but the fact is it was a disappointing season for me. It makes it hard to be happy about our first winning season when I reflect on "what could've been" if we just took care of business. Heck, thinking about it now pisses me off.

BTW, I like the Bengals uniform. It's the team itself that pissed me off this weekend.

Vinny
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
The bolded is all that needs to be said about this season. I understand hindsight is blah, blah, but the fact is it was a disappointing season for me. It makes it hard to be happy about our first winning season when I reflect on "what could've been" if we just took care of business. Heck, thinking about it now pisses me off.

BTW, I like the Bengals uniform. It's the team itself that pissed me off this weekend.
Watching both wild card games made me ill this weekend. The Texans are as good or better than those clubs, but perhaps next year Mario can play harder in games where Kubiak doesn't give a 'help me save my job' speech.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Watching both wild card games made me ill this weekend. The Texans are as good or better than those clubs, but perhaps next year Mario can play harder in games where Kubiak doesn't give a 'help me save my job' speech.

Agreed! Like their last regular season game, I bailed on the Jets/Bengals game due to the magnitude of suck the Bengals portrayed. WTF happened to Carson? Geez! Dude couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing in it. Ochobunghole is nothing but a windbag these days. STFU and catch the dang ball.

I suppose y'all can tell I wanted the Jets to lose. As I do any NE team.

HoustonFrog
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Yes it is. I figured the Texans would want the Jets to win....they beat them and they beat them out of the playoff spot...kind of justifies why they are at home. Last week people were saying they backed into the playoffs. At least they are playing playoff ball.

BTW, my comment on people saying things about beating teams...as Vinny said above...they could have beaten some of the ones there this weekend but I don't agree with the theory I have read where they are as good/could beat anyone out there. Again, it all goes back to winning when you needed to in the regular season.

HOU-TEX
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes it is. I figured the Texans would want the Jets to win....they beat them and they beat them out of the playoff spot...kind of justifies why they are at home. Last week people were saying they backed into the playoffs. At least they are playing playoff ball.

Not I. I'm not going to blame a team that lays down the last game of the season because they took care of their own business when they needed to.

The Jets schedule got them in the playoffs.

disaacks3
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I was happy to see the Jets beat the Bungles again. After they completely made the plane (but not the game) in NY, I didn't feel Cinci could turn it around quickly enough to beat the Jets.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
really.

Bengals 2009

So, basically. They did the reverse of what the Texans do every year, and
got in. If you own your division record, you'll have a MUCH better chance
at clinching a playoff spot. If you beat up on everybody else, you'd BETTER
compete in your own backyard. It's unrealistic to expect the Texans to finish
10-0 against non AFC South opponents. The title of this thread is flat out
ridiculous when you consider the facts.

And then, because the Bengals are 4-6 against everyone not in their division, they immediately get bounced from the playoffs.

BigBull17
01-11-2010, 02:08 PM

BTW, my comment on people saying things about beating teams...as Vinny said above...they could have beaten some of the ones there this weekend but I don't agree with the theory I have read where they are as good/could beat anyone out there. Again, it all goes back to winning when you needed to in the regular season.

I wanted Indy to have to host the Jets. Reap what you sow. I wouldn't be shocked if the Ravens and Jets made it to the Championship game.

Double Barrel
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
lol @ Ocho Stinko getting owned by Darrelle Revis. Dude needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. Revis is maybe the best in the biz right now, but according to Chad, he was not the least bit concerned going into game.

I'm glad the Bengals lost after rolling over in week 17. They didn't even put up a fight, and it carried over to the wildcard round.

4Texans
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
And then, because the Bengals are 4-6 against everyone not in their division, they immediately get bounced from the playoffs.

It's all about stacking up the W's, but you can help yourself in your division leads by getting W's there. All the Texans needed to make the play-offs was one more W, whether it was in, or out of our division to go 10-6.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
It's all about stacking up the W's, but you can help yourself in your division leads by getting W's there. All the Texans needed to make the play-offs was one more W, whether it was in, or out of our division to go 10-6.

I agree.

I'm just saying if you build your team so that it dominates its own division but can't win against other teams, then you're probably screwed if you get to the playoffs because you're probably not going to play a bunch of teams from your division once you get there.

I've never been in the "win your divisional games" crowd, personally. You can win all your divisional games and still end up 6-10 and in last place in your division. The Texans went 1-5 in their division and if they'd just won the game against the Jets, they'd have been in the playoffs.

I mean, I'm not saying that it's good to lose games and a divisional win is nice because you get the win and one of your divisional opponents gets a loss (which is almost always good). But the divisional record can be over-emphasized.

Goldensilence
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I agree.

I'm just saying if you build your team so that it dominates its own division but can't win against other teams, then you're probably screwed if you get to the playoffs because you're probably not going to play a bunch of teams from your division once you get there.

I've never been in the "win your divisional games" crowd, personally. You can win all your divisional games and still end up 6-10 and in last place in your division. The Texans went 1-5 in their division and if they'd just won the game against the Jets, they'd have been in the playoffs.

I mean, I'm not saying that it's good to lose games and a divisional win is nice because you get the win and one of your divisional opponents gets a loss (which is almost always good). But the divisional record can be over-emphasized.

Ask the Pittsburgh Steelers who lost out on a wildcard bid if the divisional record is over emphasized or the difference it made between the Cowboys and Eagles on homefield advantage.

The Pencil Neck
01-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Ask the Pittsburgh Steelers who lost out on a wildcard bid if the divisional record is over emphasized or the difference it made between the Cowboys and Eagles on homefield advantage.

First off, I said that the divisional record CAN be over-emphasized. It can be important.

But the 2-4 divisional record didn't hurt the Jets.

If the Steelers had won another game (ANY other game), they would have been in without the tie-breakers. They would have need to win 2 more divisional games to win the divisonal tie-breaker with the Ravens. If the Eagles had won ANY other game (not just a divisional one), then they would have had home field advantage.

If you want in and you want homefield, then beat somebody and don't rely on tie-breakers.

redwhiteANDblue
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Are we vs jets next year? Ooooh that's one game I cannot wait for setting aside the cowboys game. Heck they can cover AJ but they wont be able to cover our next deep threat JJ! I wish Texans own them so bad that we make them look hopeless!:evil:

Goldensilence
01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Are we vs jets next year? Ooooh that's one game I cannot wait for setting aside the cowboys game. Heck they can cover AJ but they wont be able to cover our next deep threat JJ! I wish Texans own them so bad that we make them look hopeless!:evil:

You mean you hope they make them look like they made Texans look this year?

Blake
01-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I am still in awe that the Bengals beat the Ravens and Steelers twice this year. WTF is going on?

DexmanC
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
10-6 won their division so the 6-0 was never part of the equation on them getting into the playoffs. Yes winning division games is important but you keep coming up with bad examples to make the argument.

To be even clearer, The Bengals were 6-0 in their division, 1-5 against
the rest of the AFC, and 3-1 against the NFC.

6-0 in their division CLEARLY gave them a legup on any team with an equal
record to them on a playoff spot, especially any team in the same division
as them. So, if the Bengals had fallen to 9-7, 6-0 in the AFC North would
have STILL secured them a playoff spot OVER the Ravens.

We went 1-5 in our division, and 5-1 against the rest of the AFC.
It didn't matter in our case, because ONE loss in your division counts TWICE.
It counts as an overall loss, AND a loss in the CONFERENCE!

Tiebreakers matter in the NFL, and the case for my argument still stands.
You want to be a perennial competitor for a playoff spot, you MUST
consistently compete for your division. We have YET to compete for our
division even ONCE.

The Pencil Neck
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
To be even clearer, The Bengals were 6-0 in their division, 1-5 against
the rest of the AFC, and 3-1 against the NFC.

6-0 in their division CLEARLY gave them a legup on any team with an equal
record to them on a playoff spot, especially any team in the same division
as them. So, if the Bengals had fallen to 9-7, 6-0 in the AFC North would
have STILL secured them a playoff spot OVER the Ravens.

We went 1-5 in our division, and 5-1 against the rest of the AFC.
It didn't matter in our case, because ONE loss in your division counts TWICE.
It counts as an overall loss, AND a loss in the CONFERENCE!

Tiebreakers matter in the NFL, and the case for my argument still stands.
You want to be a perennial competitor for a playoff spot, you MUST
consistently compete for your division. We have YET to compete for our
division even ONCE.

Somebody check me on this but my understanding is that the divisional record is only used as a tie breaker against other teams in your division.

Besides being games that we should have won (and finished with a better record), how did losing those games hurt us more than losing a conference game would have? We didn't lose any tie-breakers because of our divisional record. If we had ended up with the same record as the Jags or Titans, then we would have been screwed. But we didn't lose any tiebreakers directly because of that 1-5.

The important tie-breaker for us this year was our conference record. We finished 6-6 in the conference and that tied us with both the Broncos and Steelers. If we had gone 3-3 in our division but lost two other games in our conference (so that we ended up with the same overall record), we would have gone 3-8 in the conference and THEN we would have lost conference tie-breakers and we would have been behind the Steelers because of that.

The Ravens got in because of their conference record (which was better than us and the Broncos) and because of their divisional record (which was better than the Steelers AND they share the same division).

Our standing this year makes the point that you can lose your divisional games and it won't hurt you as bad if those teams lose other games to make up for it.

The Steelers, otoh, got screwed because of their divisional record AND their conference record. If they had won one more conference game, then they would have had the tie breaker on us and the Broncos.

Ultimately EVERY game is important. This isn't saying that divisional games aren't important because they are. It's always good for your divisional opponents to lose. But don't over-emphasize the importance of those divisional games. They're not 2x more important than another game.

DexmanC
01-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Somebody check me on this but my understanding is that the divisional record is only used as a tie breaker against other teams in your division.

Besides being games that we should have won (and finished with a better record), how did losing those games hurt us more than losing a conference game would have? We didn't lose any tie-breakers because of our divisional record. If we had ended up with the same record as the Jags or Titans, then we would have been screwed. But we didn't lose any tiebreakers directly because of that 1-5.

The important tie-breaker for us this year was our conference record. We finished 6-6 in the conference and that tied us with both the Broncos and Steelers. If we had gone 3-3 in our division but lost two other games in our conference (so that we ended up with the same overall record), we would have gone 3-8 in the conference and THEN we would have lost conference tie-breakers and we would have been behind the Steelers because of that.

The Ravens got in because of their conference record (which was better than us and the Broncos) and because of their divisional record (which was better than the Steelers AND they share the same division).

Our standing this year makes the point that you can lose your divisional games and it won't hurt you as bad if those teams lose other games to make up for it.

The Steelers, otoh, got screwed because of their divisional record AND their conference record. If they had won one more conference game, then they would have had the tie breaker on us and the Broncos.

Ultimately EVERY game is important. This isn't saying that divisional games aren't important because they are. It's always good for your divisional opponents to lose. But don't over-emphasize the importance of those divisional games. They're not 2x more important than another game.

Don't forget that the Jaguars had more control over their playoff chances
than did the Jets or Baltimore, simply because:

Division Win/Loss = Overall Win/Loss = Conference Win/Loss

Non divisional win = Overall Win/Loss

Not all wins and losses are created equal in the NFL. Your Conference
Record determines whether you go to the playoffs, and ALSO your Division
Record is FIFTY PERCENT of the Conference Record. You go 1-5 in
Division, there goes 42% of your Conference Record. You ain't gettin'
in the playoffs doing this year-in-year-out as WE HAVE BEEN.

Let's not excuse away pitiful division performance. DEMAND better from
this club.

Texan_Bill
01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Somebody check me on this but my understanding is that the divisional record is only used as a tie breaker against other teams in your division..

Correct.

The Pencil Neck
01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Don't forget that the Jaguars had more control over their playoff chances
than did the Jets or Baltimore, simply because:

Division Win/Loss = Overall Win/Loss = Conference Win/Loss

Non divisional win = Overall Win/Loss

Not all wins and losses are created equal in the NFL. Your Conference
Record determines whether you go to the playoffs, and ALSO your Division
Record is FIFTY PERCENT of the Conference Record. You go 1-5 in
Division, there goes 42% of your Conference Record. You ain't gettin'
in the playoffs doing this year-in-year-out as WE HAVE BEEN.

Let's not excuse away pitiful division performance. DEMAND better from
this club.

I'm not saying I don't want to dominate the AFC South. I do.

I'm just saying that you can over-emphasize those games. And I think you're doing that. The Jets had a 2-4 divisional record and it didn't hurt them. The Ravens were just 3-3 in their division but that was good enough to win the tiebreaker against the Steelers who were 2-4.

If we had lost the Niners game and won the Jets game, we'd be in the playoffs with a 1-5 divisional record and a 7-5 conference record. You can go 6-0 in the division and still end up 6-10.

I agree that it makes it harder to have a good conference record with a bad divisional record and that winning divisonal games is a step in the right direction. But your overall record is infinitely more important than your divisonal record.

DexmanC
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying I don't want to dominate the AFC South. I do.

I'm just saying that you can over-emphasize those games. And I think you're doing that. The Jets had a 2-4 divisional record and it didn't hurt them. The Ravens were just 3-3 in their division but that was good enough to win the tiebreaker against the Steelers who were 2-4.

If we had lost the Niners game and won the Jets game, we'd be in the playoffs with a 1-5 divisional record and a 7-5 conference record. You can go 6-0 in the division and still end up 6-10.

I agree that it makes it harder to have a good conference record with a bad divisional record and that winning divisonal games is a step in the right direction. But your overall record is infinitely more important than your divisonal record.

When I put my statistics up regarding divisional and other conference
games, I'm specifically speaking within a vacuum known as The Texans.
Divisional games, when talking about the Texans, CAN NOT be overvalued.
This is the Texans we're talking about here. The same squad that almost
gave its coach a Gatorade Shower for going 9-7! When looking at what
this team does consistently, against what it does not, you'll find a
GLARING flaw in its "improved" records. The teams we see the most, we
struggle against. The teams that rarely see us, we surprise the hell out
of them.

Teams that are built like the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Vikings, Cowboys,
Chargers, etc. eat our lunch every time we play them. They wouldn't have
beat those Jets on opening day, or any other day, based on how both
teams are currently constructed. The 2010 season will either be a REAL
step forward, or the curtain will drop on the Wizard.

They Texans have NEVER taken division games seriously, and it's pretty
much the reason we've never made the playoffs. We do well outside of
the division, and always have. However, we've made NO movement in our
glaring weakness. When talking about the Texans, there is no
"overestimation" of divisional games. It's who they are. It's what
needs to change.

JB
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
When I put my statistics up regarding divisional and other conference
games, I'm specifically speaking within a vacuum known as The Texans.
Divisional games, when talking about the Texans, CAN NOT be overvalued.
This is the Texans we're talking about here. The same squad that almost
gave its coach a Gatorade Shower for going 9-7! When looking at what
this team does consistently, against what it does not, you'll find a
GLARING flaw in its "improved" records. The teams we see the most, we
struggle against. The teams that rarely see us, we surprise the hell out
of them.

Teams that are built like the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Vikings, Cowboys,
Chargers, etc. eat our lunch every time we play them. They wouldn't have
beat those Jets on opening day, or any other day, based on how both
teams are currently constructed. The 2010 season will either be a REAL
step forward, or the curtain will drop on the Wizard.

They Texans have NEVER taken division games seriously, and it's pretty
much the reason we've never made the playoffs. We do well outside of
the division, and always have. However, we've made NO movement in our
glaring weakness. When talking about the Texans, there is no
"overestimation" of divisional games. It's who they are. It's what
needs to change.

Your negativity has reached new heights... why are you even concerned about the Texans any more?

The past is done. Last season is over. The fat lady has sung, turn out the lights on 2009 and look forward to 2010.

Let it go Man, let it go.:turtle:

DexmanC
01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Your negativity has reached new heights... why are you even concerned about the Texans any more?

The past is done. Last season is over. The fat lady has sung, turn out the lights on 2009 and look forward to 2010.

Let it go Man, let it go.:turtle:

I'm not being negative, just putting a healthy perspective on the 2010 season.
If they accomplish what they haven't in 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006 with
this regime, no fan in history will be happier than me. Nothing I've said
was negative, only what really happened. So, if it's negative to you,
ask the team to change it in 2010.

The OP asked why the "Bungles" deserved to be in the playoffs, and I simply
laid it all out for ya.