PDA

View Full Version : Texans' Needs

playa465
01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Ok, I want to know what us fans think about acquisitions. We all have opinions on what the Texans needs are but this thread is about how we think we should go about filling them. From most threads it seems that we need:

Interior OL
Secondary
RB
DL

My question is which to do we pursue in free agency vs the draft (this year). My choices are

Interior Line--Draft
Secondary--Free Agency
DL-- Free Agency
RB--Draft

My only thing is do not contest another poster's thoughts, this is just to get a feel how us arm chair talent evaluators think. Also consider that we resign our key players that are due for new contracts. I'm goin to post this on multiple sites.

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I think a FS or CB most likly comes via draft. RB will be 2nd or 3rd round pick, WR/KR as well. I think we will go after at least one big FA, as we are at the point where one guy makes a difference.

Ole Miss Texan
01-08-2010, 09:15 AM
1. OG - I'd address in FA and Draft (in 1st 3 rds) and look for a starter via both, particularly OG.
2. DT - Free Agency, find a proven veteran DT that can take on multiple blockers. Comes in and is a starter day 1.
3. CB - Draft, I'd look for a starting guy that can take over the #1 spot in the 1st or 2nd rd. Dunta may/may not be back and we'll need a starter.
4. FS - Draft, I look for one in the mid rounds. Probably go into the season with who we have starting unless the rookie performs really well.
5. RB - Draft and FA, I'm hopeful with the combo of Slaton/Foster. I bring in a FA to compete and draft one during the mid rds.

*Playmaker - Draft/FA, I also look for a guy that is explosive and can score at any given time. A WR/RB type that can create mismatches. Think Reggie Bush type.

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
1. OG - I'd address in FA and Draft (in 1st 3 rds) and look for a starter via both, particularly OG.
2. DT - Free Agency, find a proven veteran DT that can take on multiple blockers. Comes in and is a starter day 1.
3. CB - Draft, I'd look for a starting guy that can take over the #1 spot in the 1st or 2nd rd. Dunta may/may not be back and we'll need a starter.
4. FS - Draft, I look for one in the mid rounds. Probably go into the season with who we have starting unless the rookie performs really well.
5. RB - Draft and FA, I'm hopeful with the combo of Slaton/Foster. I bring in a FA to compete and draft one during the mid rds.

*Playmaker - Draft/FA, I also look for a guy that is explosive and can score at any given time. A WR/RB type that can create mismatches. Think Reggie Bush type.

That guy should also return kicks. Ive seen Aircraft carriers withmore agility than Andre Davis.

HOU-TEX
01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I think a lot of needs are dependant on if we're able to re-sign a few of our own players.

DB) It sounds like the staff is really high on Quin as a CB. I'd like to see him as a FS, but that's beside the point. So it depends on what happens with Dunta. Under Kubiak, we've never drafted a FS/SS on the first day so I don't think that'll change.

RB) From what I've gathered from Kubiak's PC's and interviews the past week, it sounds as if he's still uncertain with the RB position even with Foster's emergence. Wise choice! I still don't expect a RB until the 3rd at the earliest. No RB's in FA

DT) Considering it's going to be slim pickings in FA I expect DT to be one of our priorities in the draft. Are we going to count on Zgonina again? Hope not. Okam has been a failure as our big nasty and we need one in a bad way.

C/G) Another high priority, IMO. But, like the CB position, it's dependant on who stays and who goes. Pitts? Brisiel? Will Caldwell step up?

In the end, everyone knows I'm an "in the trenches" kind of guy, so if we re-sign our own I'd like to see DT's and Olinemen chosen or brought in via FA.

nero THE zero
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
We need:

1. Interior o-line. Depending on what we do with Pitts, how the staff feels about Caldwell's development and his strongest position, and how they feel about Myers, would dictate which position on the interior. I personally feel that the staff is comfortable with Myers and Briesel at C and RG and will look to draft/sign someone to compete with Caldwell at LG.

2. Secondary. There's the fan favorite of moving Quin to FS. Problem is, depending on what happens with Dunta, that'd leave the cupboard bare at CB. There's myriad of question at the CB spot. Will Molden and/or Bennett be on the team next year? Will we sign, tag, trade, or let Dunta go? I think these questions negate the idea of moving Quin. Assuming that's true, we have Quin, Reeves, and McCain at CB for sure. We'll likely make more than one addition here next year. I'm putting my money on Dunta being back again next year, FTR. I also think we'll draft a S in the high rounds and sign a FA CB

3. DT. We all feel that a significant addition needs to be made at DT. I don't know if the FO feels that way, but I think there will be some changes made. I doubt they'll be of the Hampton/Wilfork caliber, but I think they'll be more significant than Shaun Cody.

4. RB. This is our most pressing need, IMO. I'm sure Moats and Brown are gone. That leaves us with Slaton and Foster. Foster looked good in weeks 16 and 17, and you can almost bank on an improvement from Slaton. That still doesn't negate the need, IMO. I think we add one through both FA and the draft. LT and Portis could both be looking for jobs, I'd love to have either. I'd also like to draft a back in the first two rounds, but we'll see how that goes.

Thorn
01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Sign all our FAs so we don't have to replace them.

The problem with signing other folks FAs is they are, almost without exception, always overpaid for what their talent level is. That being said, I'd try and pick up some help on both sides of the line in free agency. Unless there is another Pollard out there somewhere, address the defensive secondary in the draft along with high pick used on a RB.

TexCanada
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I would like to see us pay too much money to a veteran player who has been a part of a winning team. I havn't really sifted through the names to pick someone out, but we need a guy like the Broncos picked up with Dawkins. I like the leadership that Pollard, Cushing and Ryans seem to bring, but a guy who can teach our kids how to win would make a world of difference.

Kubiak is still a relatively inexperienced coach. He could set himself up for a long stint with the Texans if he brings the right leaders in.

infantrycak
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I would like to see us pay too much money to a veteran player who has been a part of a winning team. I havn't really sifted through the names to pick someone out, but we need a guy like the Broncos picked up with Dawkins. I like the leadership that Pollard, Cushing and Ryans seem to bring, but a guy who can teach our kids how to win would make a world of difference.

Kubiak is still a relatively inexperienced coach. He could set himself up for a long stint with the Texans if he brings the right leaders in.

Eugene Wilson has two SB rings. Antonio Smith just played in the SB.

spurstexanstros
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
" For the love of God no more DE's"-STS( I quote this every year)

Seriously, this year I will throw computer at TV I mean it.

TexanSam
01-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Running back is definitely a need. The Arian Foster situation came up previously with Chris Taylor as well. Foster should have every chance to win the starting job during training camp, but the last 2 games shouldn't automatically make him the starter.

HOU-TEX
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Running back is definitely a need. The Arian Foster situation came up previously with Chris Taylor as well. Foster should have every chance to win the starting job during training camp, but the last 2 games shouldn't automatically make him the starter.

I agree. I blame Kubiak for this last few games of the season junk. Why wasn't Foster given the opportunity sooner? Was he that bad at "becoming a pro" to keep him from competing in a horrible backfield? Steve 'Slumpin' Slaton, Chris 'I suck with the ball, but I'm good at blitz pick-up' Brown and Ryan 'Give me a chance, Coach' Moats were all horrible this season.

Yes, the Oline is to blame as well, but why not give him a shot? Especially during the 4 game losing streak.

mexican_texan
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
C
FS
#1 CB
DT

Really not too different from recent needs.

I agree. I blame Kubiak for this last few games of the season junk. Why wasn't Foster given the opportunity sooner? Was he that bad at "becoming a pro" to keep him from competing in a horrible backfield? Steve 'Slumpin' Slaton, Chris 'I suck with the ball, but I'm good at blitz pick-up' Brown and Ryan 'Give me a chance, Coach' Moats were all horrible this season.

Yes, the Oline is to blame as well, but why not give him a shot? Especially during the 4 game losing streak.

One fumble, you're out. I get the rule, but Arian Foster would have run all over the Rams, they game planned for Chris Brown and Moats.

Hagar
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
1. OG/C: Very few offensive linemen can move directly from college to pros so I'd prefer we got a veteran FA here. Don't know if there are any good G/C in FA but that's my preference.

2. FS: Either; as long as he's a hitter, I don't care.

3. CB: Depends if Dunta stays. If he stays, draft; otherwise, FA.

4. RB: Draft. You can get good value in the lower rounds of the draft at RB.

5. DT: Free Agency ~ I'm so tired of developing players at this position.

ObsiWan
01-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Think back to the last preseason game. Kubiak outright told Moats and Foster they were playing for the last RB spot. Moats outplayed him. So Foster had his earlier opportunity and screwed the pooch.

beerlover
01-08-2010, 07:51 PM
1. OT) bump current OT inside, tighten OL up

2. DB) same thing, tighten secondary

3. RB) add speed & power

4. DT) interior run stopper

5. K) Chris Brown great guy, performance unacceptable

6. QB) who is Schaubs replacement in case of injury/future

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB

dalemurphy
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Because he was trying to keep the league leading QB healthy and Moats and Foster both stink at pass protection, though Foster improved late. It's a pretty tough situation that he was in when you consider that 2 of the 4 TEs were also rookies and OD went down... Leach is the only FB, and Slaton went to the IR. When you add all that up along with the loss of both starting guards, they were in a difficult position regarding pass protection. That's why Brown played so much after the OD injury, IMO.

b0ng
01-08-2010, 08:20 PM

3. RB) add speed & power

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB

1.) Which OT?
2.) Why bump Quinn?
3.) Okay
4.) Okay
5.) Okay
6.) Doubtful, they have 2 guys who are experienced and under contract
7.) Ryans and Cush would be the LB's in nickel and wouldn't Ryans be the LB in Dime?

Insideop
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM

3. RB) add speed & power

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB

Is this the order of the player's position you want to draft, or is this just a priority list? If it's how you want to draft I don't think Kubes/Smith would take a Kicker in the 5th round.

beerlover
01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
1.) Which OT? could go either way
2.) Why bump Quinn? his physcial play
3.) Okay
4.) Okay
5.) Okay
6.) Doubtful, they have 2 guys who are experienced and under contract neither is a viable option IMO, I would go after Kolb
7.) Ryans and Cush would be the LB's in nickel and wouldn't Ryans be the LB in Dime? player with more length than Diles & better cover skills

to expound:
Brown could be hell of a LG & there is no discrace in that just look at Logan Mankins & Winston could focus more on road grading instead of trying to swivel against speed on the edge.

beerlover
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Is this the order of the player's position you want to draft, or is this just a priority list? If it's how you want to draft I don't think Kubes/Smith would take a Kicker in the 5th round.

I can't forcast how they'll draft- each year I'm fooled :polevault: but general positions of need do corespond to where they would need to be drafted as OT, CB R premium positions, its real tricky when talking RB under this regime, I don't like what I see from the QB position if Schaub is knocked out, just look at what happened to Texas last night, heck give me Gilbert over those two. Kicker only cost us three games minimum, don't know about you but I would trade a 5th to get those could've beens back :barman:

Giant Tiger
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Should take a look at Justin Medlock from the Toronto Argonauts (IIRC, a Canadian sports network said he could get a look by some NFL teams). Shouldn't cost too much just to bring him in for a look. If he messes up, we still need a kicker later in the draft; but if he works out, we gain an extra pick. FWIW I think Vanderjagt played for Toronto before joining the Colts.

BattleRedToro
01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
1) The Texans must make a decision and sign their own Free Agents. These include DeMeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, Bernard Pollard, Kevin Walters, Eric Winston, Chester Pitts, Rex Grossman, and Andre Davis.

2) The Texans must identify their needs and then try to fill some of them with Free Agents. For instance, Vince Wilfolk would make a great addition to the Texans up and coming young Defensive Unit.

3) Draft to fill remaining needs.

bckey
01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
free safety
center
head coach
cb
guard
dt
k

b0ng
01-08-2010, 10:15 PM
to expound:
Brown could be hell of a LG & there is no discrace in that just look at Logan Mankins & Winston could focus more on road grading instead of trying to swivel against speed on the edge.

Kolb is going to cost entirely too much to be viable as a backup, as I would think the Eagles organization wouldn't let go of the "Great White Hope" since half their fans would revolt (They'll do this anyway though). I think Kolb is going to get more calls to start at QB (Cleveland, St. Louis, Oakland if Al Davis dies in the off season) than he would to be a backup.

Why do Texans fans have a fetish for moving CB's over to the Safety position? If we have a good CB we should keep him there and maybe try to draft a safety rather than force what could be a square peg into a round hole.

I don't see Duane Brown or Eric Winston playing Center so really I think kicking them inside would be sort of silly and would hamstring out outside tackle position. The interior of the line is wrought with some bad pass protection that falls mostly on Chris Myers.

I think this would be my To-Do list for the Texans:

1.) New blood in the secondary. Leave Quin where he is get a safety or two and another CB
2.) New blood that can play C. If Caldwell isn't going to be the guy then they need to find "the guy"
3.) Defensive Tackle. I think Amobi is serviceable as a DT but we lack anything that even resembles an NT. This is lower on the list because if the secondary was even passable our pass rush would benefit greatly
4.) Kicker.
5.) Punter, even though Turk is not a liability, he is older than dirt
6.) Bring in competition at RB

I think secondary is one of the biggest positions of need on the team followed closely by a true C. Before any of this happens re-sign Ryans and Daniels and Pollard.

beerlover
01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't see Duane Brown or Eric Winston playing Center so really I think kicking them inside would be sort of silly and would hamstring out outside tackle position. The interior of the line is wrought with some bad pass protection that falls mostly on Chris Myers.

Center? I thought it rather obvious LG/RG.

I think this would be my To-Do list for the Texans:

1.) New blood in the secondary. Leave Quin where he is get a safety or two and another CB
2.) New blood that can play C. If Caldwell isn't going to be the guy then they need to find "the guy"
3.) Defensive Tackle. I think Amobi is serviceable as a DT but we lack anything that even resembles an NT. This is lower on the list because if the secondary was even passable our pass rush would benefit greatly
4.) Kicker.
5.) Punter, even though Turk is not a liability, he is older than dirt
6.) Bring in competition at RB

I think secondary is one of the biggest positions of need on the team followed closely by a true C. Before any of this happens re-sign Ryans and Daniels and Pollard.

pretty much agree with everything, the point I was making is that Quinn has the physcial make-up & toughness to play FS as he gains expereince. I like a bigger Brice McCain cover corner @ CB, in this scenero Reeves is the serviceable CB until they can upgrade. look @ Javier Arenas he's tough as nails plays CB but is most effective, as a nickle/FS playing passing lanes his two INT's where both byproducts of zone read & Darious Bryd rookie FS Buffalo was second in the DROY after Cushing & he played CB @ Oregon. just saying, if the make-up & skill sets exist its not a big issue to move.

hard to tell about Caldwell just yet, they seem real happy with him though so that should be good news moving forward. this may be the year they address RB early there are some good ones coming out & please sign all our free agents, keeping this group together is key to advancement.

b0ng
01-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Center? I thought it rather obvious LG/RG.

Yeah that's the thing, I think if we're improving our interior it's going to start (And possibly end) with finding a replacement for Myers, which is why I made the joke about either of those two playing C. Pitts coming back will have a huge effect on this, but unless things get really dire I'm thinking Brown and Winston stay where they are (Matt Schaub is probably on board with this idea too).

beerlover
01-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah that's the thing, I think if we're improving our interior it's going to start (And possibly end) with finding a replacement for Myers, which is why I made the joke about either of those two playing C. Pitts coming back will have a huge effect on this, but unless things get really dire I'm thinking Brown and Winston stay where they are (Matt Schaub is probably on board with this idea too).

Pitts might not return which would put a wrench into that plan. Pitts was forced into LT duties in the early years but was a much better LG. Pitts is 6-4 320 Brown is 6-4 312 thereabouts....I would think a franchise tackle measureables for ZBS would be 6-6 & 300 lbs. I do like his mobility but more so in run blocking than pass protection against speed, his toughness also transfers well to the interior to get a little nasty, could be a terrific LG even better than Pitts in his prime.

Wolf6151
01-09-2010, 03:14 AM
Texans Needs?

First we need to re-sign our own FA's Ryans, Walter, Pollard. I'd franchise Daniels much like they did with Dunta, to see if he's healthy next year and if he can play at a high level. I'd make Dunta a reasonable offer and if he signed fine and if he didn't that's fine as well, see ya. I'd make an offer to Pitts but nothing to high or guaranteed, he can walk as well. 30 yr. old mediocre injured OG's aren't commanding alot on the FA market. I'd make an offer to Brisiel as well but it would be for a backup position.

1. CB-very high priority, I'd address this position in the 1st round of the draft whether Dunta stays or not. Patrick Robinson.

2. OG/C-very high priority, I'd address this position in the 2nd round of the draft as well as a quality FA. The O-line needs to be solidified once and for all with some high quality players. Jon Asamoah.

3. FS-mid round priority, Eugene Wilson is still under contract for another 2 yrs. and I don't think McNair likes paying dead money. I'd expect this draft pick to be the starter in 2011. Robert Johnson

4. RB-mid round priority, I don't like FA RB's. I think rookie RB's have something to prove and play harder to make the team and it's a shortlived position in the NFL. Rookies also have less mileage and fewer injuries. Ben Tate.

5. DT-mid round priority, hopefully we get lucky with someone in the draft but I'd also bring in a FA or 2 for competition. I'm tired of all the high draft picks and expensive FA's being spent on the D-line. Boo Robinson.

6. K-late round priority, Kris Brown has been a great Texan but it's obvious that his position on the team isn't secure any more and he could use some training camp competition. Leigh Tiffin.

7. P-late round priority, youth and strength that are much cheaper than Turk. Zoltan Mesko.

DexmanC
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Chester Pitts was missed immediately when he started the season injured.
Myers and Brown, but especially Myers, relied on Pitts for not getting
pushed into the backfield. Kubiak was extremely upset at his guards
for the Kris Jenkins "pimpslap" play, because Myers was caught 1-on-1 with
Jenkins who'd stood up about two yards deep before the snap.

BattleRedToro
01-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Texans Needs?

First we need to re-sign our own FA's Ryans, Walter, Pollard. I'd franchise Daniels much like they did with Dunta, to see if he's healthy next year and if he can play at a high level. I'd make Dunta a reasonable offer and if he signed fine and if he didn't that's fine as well, see ya. I'd make an offer to Pitts but nothing to high or guaranteed, he can walk as well. 30 yr. old mediocre injured OG's aren't commanding alot on the FA market. I'd make an offer to Brisiel as well but it would be for a backup position.

1. CB-very high priority, I'd address this position in the 1st round of the draft whether Dunta stays or not. Patrick Robinson.

2. OG/C-very high priority, I'd address this position in the 2nd round of the draft as well as a quality FA. The O-line needs to be solidified once and for all with some high quality players. Jon Asamoah.

3. FS-mid round priority, Eugene Wilson is still under contract for another 2 yrs. and I don't think McNair likes paying dead money. I'd expect this draft pick to be the starter in 2011. Robert Johnson

4. RB-mid round priority, I don't like FA RB's. I think rookie RB's have something to prove and play harder to make the team and it's a shortlived position in the NFL. Rookies also have less mileage and fewer injuries. Ben Tate.

5. DT-mid round priority, hopefully we get lucky with someone in the draft but I'd also bring in a FA or 2 for competition. I'm tired of all the high draft picks and expensive FA's being spent on the D-line. Boo Robinson.

6. K-late round priority, Kris Brown has been a great Texan but it's obvious that his position on the team isn't secure any more and he could use some training camp competition. Leigh Tiffin.

7. P-late round priority, youth and strength that are much cheaper than Turk. Zoltan Mesko.

The only thing I would disagree with here is the DT priority. I think a NT is a high priority. Of course, I agree that CB and OL are higher priority for the Texans. I would place the NT priority above the FS and only slightly behind the RB priority. I would love for the Texans to address the NT need in Free Agency by acquiring Vince Wilfolk. If they are unable to do that then my next wish would be to acquire Dan Williams in the draft.

Also, I believe it may be possible to get a quality Placekicker and a quality Punter as undrafted rookie Free Agents.

Norg
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Sign
-Demco
-Kevin walter
-Owen danels
-Pollard

Cut
-Pitts
-Chris Brown
-Kris Brown
-Maybe Dunta if we cant Get him at a good price

I would stay start at the Line but I dont feel like wasting our picks on a O line men .....

I say go after a Shut Down Corner CB and a good FS or SS

then go O line Guards and Center maybe

Norg
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM

We still have previous Starter Brisels has well along with maybe cladwell stepping up

BattleRedToro
01-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Sign
-Demco
-Kevin walter
-Owen danels
-Pollard

Cut
-Pitts
-Chris Brown
-Kris Brown

I would stay start at the Line but I dont feel like wasting our picks on a O line men .....

I say go after a Shut Down Corner CB and a good FS or SS

then go O line Guards and Center maybe

What about Winston? He is also a Free Agent.

Wolf6151
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
What about Winston? He is also a Free Agent.

Winston is NOT a FA, he signed a longterm contract extension just before the first game of the 2008 season.

infantrycak
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Cut
-Pitts
-Chris Brown
-Kris Brown

Dunta is not a cut since he isn't under contract for next year and brilliant idea cutting our pro-bowl alternate guard.

BattleRedToro
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Winston is NOT a FA, he signed a longterm contract extension just before the first game of the 2008 season.

I composed a spreadsheet showing only UFA's available according to KFFL. Not sure it's the best source, or whether all the information is correct, but in the little cross checking I did, it did appear to be accurate. I've listed the UFA's only, as it's my understanding that your chances of picking up an RFA without giving up a bevy of draft choices is impossible, and I don't foresee this team giving up draft picks for an RFA. I organized them by position, and there are four sheets.

link (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tG8FreSzFiwDNurTQubjkZg&gid=1)

According to FirstTexansFan's spreadsheet he is an UFA.

wolf123
01-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Dunta is not a cut since he isn't under contract for next year and brilliant idea cutting our pro-bowl alternate guard.

He's also getting older, will want big bucks, and is coming off a injury.

steelbtexan
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
1.Re-sign Ryans,OD to fair contract and either Pitts or Briesel to (vet min. contract) I would sign Hampton and Mankins in FA. They are winners that played on championsship teams.

2.CB is priority no.1 but If Haden will not be there. I hope they dont reach for a CB early. Because there isn't much difference between CB's like Lindley in rd 1-2 and Wilson, Jackson or McFadden in rd 4-5. IMO

3.OG This is a high priority. If I were Smithiak I would draft Iupati and Asamoah in the 1st and 2nd rds. Asamoah and Caldwell can both play C. Either way the OL will be set for 8-10 years. The OL hasn't been solid since this franchise inception. This draft is where that changes if I was in charge.

4. RB If Dwyer is available in the 2nd rd you take him. Otherwise Hardesty,Tate or Gerhart. (one of those will be therein the 4th rd.)
5. S- Smithiak shoud be able to draft a developmental S in rd. 4-5 Robert Johnson is my favorite. McCarthy from N.D. or Woodall (Ala.) would also be good choices.
6. Developmental DT is a a low priority Kade Weston or Al Woods could be available late. They need to sign a Vet. DT in FA because Smithiak seem to strikeout on drafting DT's high in the draft. Okam and his passive attitude need to be cut. IMO
7. They should draft Kubes son Klint in the 7th rd. He's talented but injury prone. Nepotism is alive and well.

thunderkyss
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Ok, I want to know what us fans think about acquisitions. We all have opinions on what the Texans needs are but this thread is about how we think we should go about filling them. From most threads it seems that we need:

Interior OL
Secondary
RB
DL

My question is which to do we pursue in free agency vs the draft (this year). My choices are

Interior Line--Draft
Secondary--Free Agency
DL-- Free Agency
RB--Draft

My only thing is do not contest another poster's thoughts, this is just to get a feel how us arm chair talent evaluators think. Also consider that we resign our key players that are due for new contracts. I'm goin to post this on multiple sites.

Free Agency starts in March, so I would look at which needs I felt I could fill through FA first.

What ever need is left, I would address in the draft.

ObsiWan
01-09-2010, 05:46 PM

from the HT.com Winston player page (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=210); look under the Transactions tab...

Selected by the Houston Texans in third round (66th overall) of 2006 NFL Draft…signed by Texans on July 23, 2006... signed a contract extension with Texans on Sept. 6, 2008.

leebigeztx
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Pitts might not return which would put a wrench into that plan. Pitts was forced into LT duties in the early years but was a much better LG. Pitts is 6-4 320 Brown is 6-4 312 thereabouts....I would think a franchise tackle measureables for ZBS would be 6-6 & 300 lbs. I do like his mobility but more so in run blocking than pass protection against speed, his toughness also transfers well to the interior to get a little nasty, could be a terrific LG even better than Pitts in his prime.

I said this before the season that pitts was gone after the season. The drafted his replacement in caldwell and the guy is pushing 30 if not 30. Its not like letting faneca go

Norg
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
we need to draft a P/K in the 4th or 5th round ...... :foottap:

JB
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM
we need to draft a P/K in the 4th or 5th round ...... :foottap:

Are you drunk:beer:

Redtexan#34
01-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Its early, but in the draft we should draft 1st round Mike Iupati OG Idaho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFMZROcNZ8&feature=related 2nd Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8fLyL1yHmg .

Redtexan#34
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I looked on Texans homepage Foster is listed as 6'1" 215lbs i thought he was bigger than than that. We need to draft a RB i listed Ryan Mathews another good one is Anthony Dixon RB Missippi State 6'1" 235lbs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZ7J8FtKkM .

Wolf
01-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Pollard needs to be re-signed (along with getting the contract settled for demeco and Owen Daniels)

FS... I am not sure how Eugene Wilson is coming along,but I am not sure if any of us can take another year of Busing at FS .. He did what he could, but ...

Interior line needs to get fixed, blocked field goals, cant score from the goal line or pick up the first in short yardage situation, has to stop.. those are killers

DL, he need penetration up the middle so the QB's cant step up and avoid avoid our ''circle rush'' time and time again

jppaul
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I personally like the following"

1) Earl Thomas

2) Vladmir Ducasse

3) Toby Gerhardt/Ryan Matthews

4) Lamar Houston

5) Trevard Lindley

6) Hunter Lawrence

7)

bckey
01-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I just hope the Texans don't target ONE position of need for the first round and force a pick because that leads to disaster more times than not. It came out ok with Duane Brown but I didn't like the fact that the Texans were determined to come out of the first round with a lt no matter what. That type of mentality can be disasterous. I hope they target free safety, cb, interior ol, dl and rb and then pick best player available or even trade up if necessary.

This year is probably the most important draft in the Texans short history and I guess you would have to include free agency in there also. The Texans are finally at the point where a few playmakers on both sides of the ball could put us in an elite team category. If Bush were to get a big time free safety it would improve the back end of our defense tremendously and allow him to be a little more creative with the playbook. Yeah we need a pass rush but Barwin will be in his 2nd year and hopefully Mario will be healthy and play like he is worth the 1st rounder the Texans spent on him. I would rather address the dl in free agency than the draft just because of the learning curve. This is the year that the Texans need picks to hit the field right away more that any. They need a couple of home runs this year like Cushing and Pollard.

I would like to see the Texans draft at least 2 interior ol or pick up free agents. The running game was a disaster this year. Chris Meyers needs to be a backup on this team and so does Studdard. We need a good rb also. I think 3 picks on offense and the rest on defense would be about the right balance. The 1 big unknown is what are they going to do for a backup qb. We need a good one. Matt got through the year healthy but we got a glimpse of what it could have been like in the Jacksonville game.

My thoughts are give Bush whatever he needs this year because he got more out of this defense than we could have ever asked for. If he can build this defense into a top 5 then the Texans will make the playoffs.

PHAROAH
01-11-2010, 02:43 AM
1. RB (Draft)- The Texans need to get a serious running back in the 1st round i'm not sure why everyone think we can wait until the 3rd round to get a premium talent we are not the Denver Broncos who hit the jack pot with any running back the pick up.

2 FS (Draft) - The texans need to draft a safety who will fit our system and stop picking up mediocre talent off the street even though will got lucky with Bernard Pollard who was a former 2nd round pick of the KC Chiefs.

3 DT (F/A or Draft) I would go after Vince Wilfork in free agency since the Texans suck at drafting DT's and draft another in the mid rounds.

4. OL (F/A or Draft) We need good interior play to improve the running game and we might won't to use the draft & free agency to fill the void.

5. QB (Draft) we need to draft a good young talent to develope behind Matt Schaub.

Bronco Texan
01-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Sign Dennison as OC.
Ask Gibbs and Rhodes to stay one for 1 more season
Pick up Schaubs option.
Re-sign OD, Ryans, Pollard, Walter, and maybe Dunta...maybe.

K - See who get released in Indy, Vinatieri or Stover. Then invite him to camp to compete with Brown.

OG - Trade a 5th or 6th for Chris Kuper of the Denver Broncos. Knows the system and is a very good ZBS Guard.

FS - Draft Earl Thomas with the 1st draft pick.

DT - Haven't done much research, but if a good FA available sign him. Also draft a player mid to late rd pick.

RB - Once we get the Oline fixed I think we will be good with who we have. Slaton and Foster, maybe Moats.

QB - Draft a late rd guy. Dump either Dan O or Rex, but keep one.

CB - I am thinking we stay with who we have and possibly sign a vet in FA. I think if we draft Earl Thomas in the 1st rd he could help our CBs look tons better.

wagonhed
01-11-2010, 05:24 AM
just thought it was nice to see someone else acknowledge our RB and K problems:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_3.php

Rd. 3. Houston Texans: Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
The Texans could have finished 13-3 if they had a clutch kicker and a running back who could plunge into the end zone from the 1-yard line. Steve Slaton was placed on IR, so the running back situation in Houston is murkier than ever. Arian Foster's fumbling problems only reinforces the Texans' need at this position.

badboy
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
1. RB (Draft)- The Texans need to get a serious running back in the 1st round i'm not sure why everyone think we can wait until the 3rd round to get a premium talent we are not the Denver Broncos who hit the jack pot with any running back the pick up.

2 FS (Draft) - The texans need to draft a safety who will fit our system and stop picking up mediocre talent off the street even though will got lucky with Bernard Pollard who was a former 2nd round pick of the KC Chiefs.

3 DT (F/A or Draft) I would go after Vince Wilfork in free agency since the Texans suck at drafting DT's and draft another in the mid rounds.

4. OL (F/A or Draft) We need good interior play to improve the running game and we might won't to use the draft & free agency to fill the void.

5. QB (Draft) we need to draft a good young talent to develope behind Matt Schaub.His name is Orslovski signed Gary Kubiac

HuttoKarl
01-11-2010, 04:54 PM
RB - Lendale White to give a power back to the Slaton/Foster tandem and to frustrate fantasy owners who want their RB to get all the carries.

DT - Probably via draft since anyone worth snot will cost an arm and a leg.

FS - Earl Thomas would make me happy. I'd say this is a draft pick waiting to fill the position.

CB - haven't really checked the FA list, but don't think there are any mindblowers out there...again...probably a draft pick and some development/trial by fire OR we resign Dunta for a one year cheap deal.

O-Line - should be picked up in the draft every year. Guards and Center would be nice.