PDA

View Full Version : How would the Chiefs have done if, all things being equal, Tom Brady had been the QB?

gtexan02
01-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Im curious about some players vs. system stuff.

Last year without Brady, the Patriots went 11-5 under Matt Cassell. I took him a while to get going, but he had a prolific year once he got everything clicking. This season, the Pats were 10-6.

So I got to thinking:
Is it the offense or the player?

What do you think the Chiefs would have been like with Brady? Better, worse, the same?

WWJD
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I would say better.

He's one of the best all-time QB's.

eriadoc
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
There's only so much lemonade you can make from lemons. Good players are still good players, but the NFL is more team oriented than any other major sport. So the Chiefs probably would have been better, but still losers.

Consider this: Carr was making progress through the middle of '04 before the wheels fell off. The team as a whole wasn't very deep or very good. AJ, who we all know is great, finished '03 (rookie season) with 66 rec. for 976 yds, for a 14.8 average. AJ finished '04 with 79 rec. for 1142 yards, for a 14.5 average. Those are good numbers, but the team still lost. Then the wheels fell off the Carr, and AJ finished '05 and '06 with a 10.9 and 11.1 average, respectively. So even when Carr was still developing and doing a few things right, and obviously clicking with AJ, the team lost. Once AJ had a few years experience and was clearly on his way to greatness, he couldn't overcome Carr's fall-off. Even when DD was putting up good numbers in '03 and '04, it didn't matter. A player, or even a few players, cannot overcome a bad team.

Unrelated but interesting side note: Until this year, AJ's best two years in terms of yards per catch were '03 and '04. He also had 32 catches of 20+ over those two years, compared to 27 catches of 20+ over the next three seasons.

treduke
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
brady is good but dwayne bowe isn't randy moss
and chris chambers isn't wes welker
if brady was the qb for the chiefs i'd give them three or four extra wins which would put them at 7-9 or 8-8 which is what i think their record will be next year
you hear it here first!

gtexan02
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Let me ask another question:

Would the Patriots have made the playoffs this season if Cassel was still their QB?

Brady had an excellent year--but he didn't seem like the Brady I remembered in the Texans game.

Was this because it was the last game of the season? DId he lose something with the injury? Or did he get demystified a little after Cassel had so much success in the same setting.