PDA

View Full Version : Larry Zierlein Fired as Pitt O-Line coach

HoustonFrog
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Sorry to hear LZ. What is interesting is the talk on Omar Epps...err...Tomlin. What? A team talking about being dissatisfied with a 9-7 coach coming off a SB:kitten:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4802929&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

PITTSBURGH -- Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein has been fired, the first Steelers assistant coach to lose his job since coach Mike Tomlin was hired in 2007.

Zierlein was supposed to meet with some of his linemen on Wednesday, only to be told he was being replaced. He was seen leaving the Steelers' offices with several large boxes. Zierlein previously coached for the Browns and Bills, plus five college teams.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians held a long meeting Wednesday with Tomlin and is expected to retain his job, despite some dissatisfaction within the organization about the decreased emphasis on the running game.

Zierlein's offensive line had season-long problems, allowing Ben Roethlisberger to be sacked 50 times as the Steelers (9-7) failed to make the playoffs a season after winning the Super Bowl.

The staff change was the second in as many days after Tomlin went three seasons without altering his staff. Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired on Tuesday after 33 seasons as an NFL player or coach, 16 as a Bengals quarterback.

barrett
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I saw that. I feel terrible for Lance and his father.

playa465
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
The Steelers line has been excellent at run blocking, but their pass protection has been shaky for a couple of years now...many times Big Ben has made plays while running for his life. Tomlin stuck with him and finally had enough.

Vinny
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Steelers are cleaning house with their assistant coaching staff. They don't like going 9-7

TheRealJoker
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
The Steelers line has been excellent at run blocking, but their pass protection has been shaky for a couple of years now...many times Big Ben has made plays while running for his life. Tomlin stuck with him and finally had enough.

Part of their shaky pass protection is because Ben holds the ball too long. He's built like a LB so he can take the beating that comes with waiting an extra half second to make a play with the ball. But if the Steelers want to run a pass heavy offense and have Big Ben be the QB they're gonna have to upgrade the personnel on the OL. For instance, they could've drafted a guy like Max Unger with their 1st round pick instead of a DL in Ziggy Hood.

D-ReK
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Steelers are cleaning house with their assistant coaching staff. They don't like going 9-7

Yep, it just shows that not everything is sunshine and rainbows when you're a hair above average in this league, despite what some here believe.

Hervoyel
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

But....but Vinny, don't the players do the blocking and pass protection? How could it possibly be a coaches fault when players fail to get the job done?

This kind of crap would never float here in Houston I can tell you that!:clown:

disaacks3
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
But....but Vinny, don't the players do the blocking and pass protection? How could it possibly be a coaches fault when players fail to EXECUTE?
Corrected for ya' :runaway:

m5kwatts
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Arians is returning, apparently Big Ben did some big vouching on his behalf

source via pft

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/07/report-roethlisberger-saved-arians/

stingray
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Give me a break. Tomlin took over a team that had won the SB a year before. Kubiak took over a team that was 2-14 team....A 2 -14 TEAM!!!!! Maybe Kubes should have won 4 games the first year, 6 the second and 8 the third and 9 this year. Maybe he got to 8-8 too fast for some of ya...

Texan_Bill
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
:thinking: Letting Alan Faneca get away might have a little something to do with it.

I hope Lance can still have a good time at the game tonight.

infantrycak
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Give me a break. Tomlin took over a team that had won the SB a year before.

More importantly they won the SB last year and became the 1st SB winner in how long to not make the playoffs the next year?

:thinking: Letting Alan Faneca get away might have a little something to do with it.

Except Faneca left before last year's SB.

Texan_Bill
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
More importantly they won the SB last year and became the 1st SB winner in how long to not make the playoffs the next year?

Except Faneca left before last year's SB.

As someone mentioned, they've struggled in pass protection for a couple of years now.

infantrycak
01-07-2010, 05:58 PM
As someone mentioned, they've struggled in pass protection for a couple of years now.

Yes they have but as your synergy of suck comments go that isn't all on the pass protection. Their #3 vaunted rushing attack went to #23 and #19. Big Ben has been pushed more and more to win games. People around here want to talk about Schaub holding the ball, watch that guy. I don't know if it is poor coaching on the play calling or Big Ben holding out for the long ball but it isn't helping the OL.

stingray
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes they have but as your synergy of suck comments go that isn't all on the pass protection. Their #3 vaunted rushing attack went to #23 and #19. Big Ben has been pushed more and more to win games. People around here want to talk about Schaub holding the ball, watch that guy. I don't know if it is poor coaching on the play calling or Big Ben holding out for the long ball but it isn't helping the OL.

I think he holds on to the ball because he can many times get away with it because he is so big and slippery, but eventually they get to him.

dtran04
01-07-2010, 08:30 PM
For a team coming off a Super Bowl, there SHOULD be a ton of heat for losing to the likes of CLE, KC, and OAK. It's unfortunate that the O-Line coach got fired because Big Ben holds the ball way too long. Losing a ton of games late in the 4th quarter doesn't help either. I guess the great Mike Tomlin can't get his team "to play 4 quarters" either. :)

Heath Shuler
01-07-2010, 09:41 PM
LZ's thoughts:
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/01/even_though_you_had_to_fire_my_1.html