PDA

View Full Version : 1-5 in the AFC South 8-2 vs everyone else

texanskan
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
The Cowher thread about the Bills interest in him got me thinking.

How on earth is Kubiak not getting ripped for going 1-5 in the division?

Are these not the games that we should look to first to determine the quality of the coaching staff? They should be the teams we are most familiar with.

I don't want to hear about how tough the AFC South is.

Jags 7-9 (should be 5-11 but we could not beat them)
Titans 8-8 they are probably a little better than their record

So I say a decent head coach has us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division

As far as the non-division games we were 8-2

Let's look at that closer

Loss #1 vs the Jets opening day the game the coaches have the most time to prepare for it ends up being our only blowout loss of the year and the Jets turn out to just be ok not great

Loss #2 at Arizona, great game but we are moving the ball with no problems the whole 2nd half until we get to the goal line and imo Kubiak takes over

Also the Jags game had Kubiak making those bone head calls all over it.

I am scared to think what will happen next season if Gary does more of the play calling and goes back to really screwing up in game decisions. Like not running a play right away in Indy after the Moats fumble. Those type of plays did not happen as much this year but with Kyle gone I am scared to think what will happen.

Look I really like Gary and I want him to succeed here but how on earth is this team not in the playoffs?

HoustonFrog
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
If you find any Fire Gary thread it is brought up ad nauseum. I know I am guilty of it. Just warning you. I'm even tired of the talk and I wanted him gone. Nothing against you, but there are plenty of these out there.

End Thread

:)

4Texans
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM

He has been ripped on this board for that. If we could have won one more game and gone 2-4 in the division then we're in the playoffs.

texanskan
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
If you find any Fire Gary thread it is brought up ad nauseum. I know I am guilty of it. Just warning you. I'm even tired of the talk and I wanted him gone. Nothing against you, but there are plenty of these out there.

End Thread

fair enough, I am just angry. It has been since 1993 that I have had a playoff football team to root for.

The further removed we are from Sunday the more pissed off I get.

Hervoyel
01-06-2010, 01:42 PM

End Thread

This. It's done, he's coming back. Just hope things work out better next year.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Been awhile since you logged on, huh?

Thanks for stirring this hornet's nest up again. :gun:

texanskan
01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Been awhile since you logged on, huh?

Thanks for stirring this hornet's nest up again. :gun:

No, I just could not read the Kubiak threads

I knew it would end this way.

I can't believe we are wasting Andre Johnson's best years

Double Barrel
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Look I really like Gary and I want him to succeed here but how on earth is this team not in the playoffs?

How was the 11-5 Patriots not in the playoffs last season?

It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

p.s. Andre Johnson has chosen to stay in Houston, so "wasting" his best years is a decision that he is just as much a part of at the end of the day.

DexmanC
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
How was the 11-5 Patriots not in the playoffs last season?

It's just the way the cookie crumbles.

p.s. Andre Johnson has chosen to stay in Houston, so "wasting" his best years is a decision that he is just as much a part of at the end of the day.

If the Texans get to 11-5, and don't make it, I won't be comparing them
to a 9-7 team that doesn't get in. That's apples-to-oranges, and the
heat need to CONTINUE to be applied on Gary's ass.

Blake
01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Just imagine how close the Texans were to 0-6 in the division.

Joe Texan
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
If we could have won the two non division games and lost the last division game we are still in the playoffs so who gives a rats ass whast the division score is when you do not need it to advance. It is awesome to beat the dolts, teetons and ******* but shoulda coulda woulda. We are sitting out of the playoffs cause the spotted ******* tanked a game plain and simple.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Exactly.

It would be completely different if this team was 11-5 and couldn't get in.

disaacks3
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
If we could have won the two non division games and lost the last division game we are still in the playoffs so who gives a rats ass whast the division score is when you do not need it to advance. It is awesome to beat the dolts, teetons and ******* but shoulda coulda woulda. We are sitting out of the playoffs cause the spotted ******* tanked a game plain and simple. The Texans are out of the playoffs because they didn't take case of business after week 8 for FOUR straight weeks. Am I mad at the Colts / Bengals for tanking like they did? Sure as h***, but if we'd taken care of business, it would never have come to that.

Ndevine7
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
The Texans are out of the playoffs because they didn't take case of business after week 8 for FOUR straight weeks. Am I mad at the Colts / Bengals for tanking like they did? Sure as h***, but if we'd taken care of business, it would never have come to that.

If we wouldve beaten the Jets week one none of this wouldve happened, if we wouldve taken care of business none of this would have happened so i have no one to be mad at besides the texans. Sure i am upset with the Colts Bengals and possibly the Raiders but its our own fault

Second Honeymoon
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
If we could have won the two non division games and lost the last division game we are still in the playoffs so who gives a rats ass whast the division score is when you do not need it to advance. It is awesome to beat the dolts, teetons and ******* but shoulda coulda woulda. We are sitting out of the playoffs cause the spotted ******* tanked a game plain and simple.

no its because Kubiak sucks as a coach and the Texans lost games they should have won. to blame the Colts is lame and is being a whiner. they earned the right to rest their starters....we failed.

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
So I say a decent head coach has us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division

As far as the non-division games we were 8-2

The thing about this is that we're all looking on the field, & we see the obvious improvement in talent. & we see the obvious improvement in play. & we say, "a decent coach would have had us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division."

& we want to negate the fact that this "decent" coach got us this talent, & he got them playing this well.

there's no question he has plenty of room to grow.

But to say Gary Kubiak is not at least a "decent" head coach is unfair.

Let's look at that closer

Loss #1 vs the Jets opening day the game the coaches have the most time to prepare for it ends up being our only blowout loss of the year and the Jets turn out to just be ok not great

I'm with you on this one. for exactly the same reason as you. If I were McNair, I would have had a sit down with Kubiak that day, & expect an explanation. The only thing I can think of that I would like Kubiak to have said is, "this team isn't ready. Right now, I'm focused on getting these men to play good football."

Even then, I wouldn't be satisfied, because it's not that they lost, but that they lost so badly. & we lossed badly last year, & we lost badly our first year with Mr Kubiak.

If I were McNair, & I was thinking about extending GK's contract. It would be under the clear understanding that he would have to win that first game. I don't care who we play. But with his previous record, GK has forced my hand. I don't want to look competitive, I don't want to lose because of a bad call, or a player mistake.

This is one win, that he has to get. (There is no way I would extend his contract before the third game of the season. I've got other stipulations, this is just one of them.)

Loss #2 at Arizona, great game but we are moving the ball with no problems the whole 2nd half until we get to the goal line and imo Kubiak takes over

This was the first game I started seeing improvement in the defense. The first game I thought I was seeing something I could believe.

If I were McNair I would want to know how can Steve Slaton avg 7.4 yards/carry in the first Qtr, but do nothing the rest of the game?

Then, what are we going to do differently with on the goal line?

I'm going to ask him what happened to the first half?

Also the Jags game had Kubiak making those bone head calls all over it.

If you're talking about the HB pass..... I'm ok with this on 1st & Goal.

I am scared to think what will happen next season

I'm more worried that we'll start the year, with less than what ended this season with.

for instance. We thought we had a running game at the end of last season..... & it was nowhere to be found. In years past, when our defense was among the league best over the last 3 weeks of the year, or the last 8 weeks of the year, we've always started looking pretty poor on the defensive side of the ball. & how many times have we thought we had at least 1 starting calbre CB? or answered the Safety Question?

regardless how good Andre Johnson is... what is the probability that we'll get another 1500+ yard receiving season from him? 16 games from Matt Schaub, are we on borrowed time? Can we expect another 16?

Double Barrel
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM

I'm not comparing them to an 11-5 team. Go back, re-read my post, and comprehend it next time.

He asked why this team isn't in the playoffs. It's pretty simple. Just like the 11-5 Pats, we did not win the game(s) that we needed to win to secure a spot. There is no comparison of teams. Just an example of two teams that did not do what needed to be done to EARN a playoff spot.

Asking why a team that just obtained it first winning record in 8 seasons is not in the playoffs is just silly. We aren't in the playoffs BECAUSE WE AREN'T IN THE PLAYOFFS. Does he want tie-breaking scenarios, breakdown of games we lost, or what? It's not exactly a deep question.

Exactly.

It would be completely different if this team was 11-5 and couldn't get in.

Yet, it would be the same. Both sitting on your couch watching other teams in the playoffs.

I'm not a Kubiak fan, but there has to be a point of acceptance by some folks that he's going to be our HC for another season. Lots of reasons why he could have been let go, but guess what, Bob McNair is not buying any of them.

Joe Texan
01-06-2010, 05:42 PM
no its because Kubiak sucks as a coach and the Texans lost games they should have won. to blame the Colts is lame and is being a whiner. they earned the right to rest their starters....we failed.

Dude stuff the soap where the sun don't shine the Kubiak Debate is over

I never said anything about the Colts so read before you spew

And the Bingles Tanked the game plain and simple. Kubiak put us in position to get in if the teams did what they could have.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't know why I even read this thread. :user: Maybe because it's like a train wreck.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
The thing about this is that we're all looking on the field, & we see the obvious improvement in talent. & we see the obvious improvement in play. & we say, "a decent coach would have had us 4-2 or at worst 3-3 in this division."

& we want to negate the fact that this "decent" coach got us this talent, & he got them playing this well.

there's no question he has plenty of room to grow.

But to say Gary Kubiak is not at least a "decent" head coach is unfair.

I'm with you on this one. for exactly the same reason as you. If I were McNair, I would have had a sit down with Kubiak that day, & expect an explanation. The only thing I can think of that I would like Kubiak to have said is, "this team isn't ready. Right now, I'm focused on getting these men to play good football."

Even then, I wouldn't be satisfied, because it's not that they lost, but that they lost so badly. & we lossed badly last year, & we lost badly our first year with Mr Kubiak.

If I were McNair, & I was thinking about extending GK's contract. It would be under the clear understanding that he would have to win that first game. I don't care who we play. But with his previous record, GK has forced my hand. I don't want to look competitive, I don't want to lose because of a bad call, or a player mistake.

This is one win, that he has to get. (There is no way I would extend his contract before the third game of the season. I've got other stipulations, this is just one of them.)

This was the first game I started seeing improvement in the defense. The first game I thought I was seeing something I could believe.

If I were McNair I would want to know how can Steve Slaton avg 7.4 yards/carry in the first Qtr, but do nothing the rest of the game?

Then, what are we going to do differently with on the goal line?

I'm going to ask him what happened to the first half?

If you're talking about the HB pass..... I'm ok with this on 1st & 10.

I'm more worried that we'll start the year, with less than what ended this season with.

for instance. We thought we had a running game at the end of last season..... & it was nowhere to be found. In years past, when our defense was among the league best over the last 3 weeks of the year, or the last 8 weeks of the year, we've always started looking pretty poor on the defensive side of the ball. & how many times have we thought we had at least 1 starting calbre CB? or answered the Safety Question?

regardless how good Andre Johnson is... what is the probability that we'll get another 1500+ yard receiving season from him? 16 games from Matt Schaub, are we on borrowed time? Can we expect another 16?

Thunder, we haven't always agreed, but I do see your point. Sometimes, I think you're a bit easy on Kubiak, but, you also admit his faults.

I think you're a rational person who is honestly trying to see both sides of the debate.

I'd rep you, but I don't think I'm allowed to do it again just yet. lol.

Incidentally, Jerome Solomon at the Chron said the same thing you did. He said that if Bob McNair told Kubiak that he HAD to win the Jets game, we would have won it. It's the only way to get that guy going.

ObsiWan
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Trust me. It is.
Did McNair give Kubiak and extension?
Not that I heard. Did you?
And I agree with InfantryCak when he says, 'if Kubiak's your guy, then give him an extension so there's no question that he has the owner's complete support'.

So, to me, no extension = "This is your last shot; I'm watching"

Naah, McNair wouldn't come out and say so, that ain't his style.
But Kubiak is still firmly ON the Hot Seat. At least until McNair says, "I'm giving GK an extension."

Lucky
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
This close.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1015/bos_g_collin1_sw_576.jpg

gary
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Just one game way from the playoffs pick any one of them it really does not matter and that is the bottom line at least it is for me.

False Start
01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I just have a feeling we are on the break of dominance. :texflag::cool:

Ndevine7
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM

HAHAHAH i have this feeling ever year

False Start
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
HAHAHAH i have this feeling ever year

Yup! Me too. :heh: :cool:

Ndevine7
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Yup! Me too. :heh: :cool:

And every year it ends the same way. Im hoping that this is the year cause we have the talent

Vinnie
01-06-2010, 10:55 PM
And every year it ends the same way. Im hoping that this is the year cause we have the talent

And we should only have more talent. Y'all can dog Kubiak and Smith until you're blue in the face, and have ad nauseum, but they do draft well and I don't expect any less from the next draft. Maybe next year all the pieces will fall into place, maybe they won't. One thing is for sure, there is no such thing as luck in the AFC South so let's hope the team only becomes more talented.

AnthonyE
01-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Just as close as as we were to 6-0.

mussop
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
:deadhorse:locked:Enough of this crap. Everyone has stated their case lets move on.

Can you imagine what this board will look like if we have a repeat of the opener next year? If we get off to a slow start I might ban myself from this board. :wild:

Norg
01-07-2010, 12:20 AM
MOst of our divison games this year were close tho

BOth Jags games came down to the wire

I cant beleive the jags beat us twice what did they do two beat us ????

THe Colts always wipp our ass because of manning

THank god we split with the titans but that wnd week game was so hard !!!!

WIth our talent we shouldnt be struggling aganist the TItans and Jags yet we do

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
MOst of our divison games this year were close tho

BOth Jags games came down to the wire

I cant beleive the jags beat us twice what did they do two beat us ????

THe Colts always wipp our ass because of manning

THank god we split with the titans but that wnd week game was so hard !!!!

WIth our talent we shouldnt be struggling aganist the TItans and Jags yet we do

Coaching decisions are often the tiebreaker, and we lack there now. Just
sit back, and wait for the 12th game to be completed. If we're sitting
there with a losing record for the FIFTH year in the row, it will be
too obvious for anyone to deny. Our division foes know how to beat us,
even when they are having a down year. It simply comes down to out
executing us. Nothing we do fools them, but EVERY thing we do works
on teams that are not in the AFC South.

The Texans' offense like to show you one thing in the formation, and do
another when the ball is snapped. Once you've played us 3 or 4 times,
you know what to key on. None of those teams in the AFC South are
fooled by our formations anymore, so we have to play perfect games against
them. It's quite comical really. We destroy any team outside of our division,
and get OWNED by EVERY team in our backyard.

2010's gonna be an interesting year.

Double Barrel
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that 1-5 is much, much closer to 0-6 than 1-5 is to 6-0. :hmmm:

Vinny
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Dude stuff the soap where the sun don't shine the Kubiak Debate is over

I never said anything about the Colts so read before you spew

And the Bingles Tanked the game plain and simple. Kubiak put us in position to get in if the teams did what they could have.

is that really how you want Texans fans perceived Nationally? Our fans take a beating Nationally simply because we couldn't keep a team here. Fair? Probably not, but crying about the Bengals getting ready for the playoffs and us being upset they didn't help the Texans back in? weak stuff. The NFL is a league of strength. You call the shots on what is best for your team and if you win you don't have to worry about the other teams. You know, like the Bengals didn't have to worry about anybody but themselves. One day this team may clinch and rest Andre or whomever (if they ever find a way into the postseason). I know what you would say then. The softness and weakness in our fan base is kinda a reflection of the franchise though.

Vinny
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
dominance isn't a destination. It's a yearly pursuit. Just because you make the playoffs one year doesn't mean you have arrived at some place you will always be. Each year stands alone and that's why it makes me sick that this current team isn't in the 12 team Super Bowl tournament.

Ndevine7
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that 1-5 is much, much closer to 0-6 than 1-5 is to 6-0. :hmmm:

Obviously we know that but every game we played in the divison we were a play or two away from winning so thats why he said that we were close to being 0-6 but 6-0 was also very possible

Double Barrel
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Obviously we know that but every game we played in the divison we were a play or two away from winning so thats why he said that we were close to being 0-6 but 6-0 was also very possible

Well, 15-1 was possible by that logic, as well as 1-15. :um:

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I still believe you can get an accurate reading on how this team
thinks, simply by listenening to Eric Winston's show. When they started
the year 1-2, Winston had an "oh, well. it's only 3 out of 16 games" attitude.
there's a lot to be said about how we start the first quarter of the season
so slowly.

Urgency is paramount during the season, and Kubiak has yet to instill it
once the playoffs are out of the picture. This has to change.

Arky
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Well, 15-1 was possible by that logic, as well as 1-15. :um:

Actually, 14-2 and 8-8. The Texans went 8-2 outside the division so a 6 game swing brings 14-2, 8-8.

All 6 division games were decided by one score or less. Texans went 1-5 in the division.

Overall, they were 5-6 in games decided by one score or less.

Blake
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Actually no. A 3 point win vs the Titans is not even close to the same as the 3 point loss to Titans + 8 point loss to Colts + 3 point loss to Colts + 7 point loss to Jags + 5 point loss to Jags.

We were a hell of alot closer to 0-6 than 6-0.

Double Barrel
01-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Actually, 14-2 and 8-8. The Texans went 8-2 outside the division so a 6 game swing brings 14-2, 8-8.

All 6 division games were decided by one score or less. Texans went 1-5 in the division.

Overall, they were 5-6 in games decided by one score or less.

Conversely, we won 5 games by one score or less. What - exactly - is the point of this exercise?

We are what our record says we are, and acting like "this close" means anything is just silly. Scoreboard is all that matters, and it is the judge, jury, and executioner as it pertains to making the playoffs.

Arky
01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Conversely, we won 5 games by one score or less. What - exactly - is the point of this exercise?

Your post about the 15-1/1-15 thing seemed like you were confused so I was just explaining it out to you. I added what I thought were some other interesting stats....

We are what our record says we are, and acting like "this close" means anything is just silly. Scoreboard is all that matters, and it is the judge, jury, and executioner as it pertains to making the playoffs.

Right, 9-7 = winners. Winners with no playoffs. ;)

Vinny
01-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Right, 9-7 = winners. Winners with no playoffs. ;)yeah, winners don't tend to sit home and watch 12 other NFL teams compete for the SB trophy over the next month. I think the only non playoff team fan base that considers their team a bunch of winners is ours.

Brando
01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
yeah, winners don't tend to sit home and watch 12 other NFL teams compete for the SB trophy over the next month. I think the only non playoff team fan base that considers their team a bunch of winners is ours.

Hey it's better than being 2-14 losers, right?:):fans:

Vinny
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey it's better than being 2-14 losers, right?:):fans:you get the same playoff seat.

Brando
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Give up on the Kubiak hate. He far from sucks. Is he an elite coach? No but he is the best coach we ever had. :spin:

If we took care of business against the Jets on opening day we would be getting ready for a playoff game this weekend.

Ndevine7
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Give up on the Kubiak hate. He far from sucks. Is he an elite coach? No but he is the best coach we ever had. :spin:

If we took care of business against the Jets on opening day we would be getting ready for a playoff game this weekend.

I am a kubiak fan and i have wanted him to stay since the beginning but saying he is the best coach weve ever had is like saying george washington was our best president at the time.

GuerillaBlack
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
People keep saying the Jets game, but that's our only blowout. What about both of the Jags and Colts game? What about the Arizona game? What about the game against the Titans? Those games hurt more than that first Jets game.

Ndevine7
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
People keep saying the Jets game, but that's our only blowout. What about both of the Jags and Colts game? What about the Arizona game? What about the game against the Titans? Those games hurt more than that first Jets game.

People are mentioning the Jet game because the only reason they got in was because they held the tie breaker over us because they beat us. That was prob the worst game we played but it hurts because IMO we wouldve beaten them if we played them later rather then week one

Brando
01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
I am a kubiak fan and i have wanted him to stay since the beginning but saying he is the best coach weve ever had is like saying george washington was our best president at the time.

That's why I put the smiley at the end. :)

Arky
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
yeah, winners don't tend to sit home and watch 12 other NFL teams compete for the SB trophy over the next month. I think the only non playoff team fan base that considers their team a bunch of winners is ours.

Still doesn't change the fact that they are winners. When you've been a non-winner your entire existance, it's something... Following a football team is not exactly an English Lit course, so I think it is OK to be fired up about hitting milestones and a team with a bright future...

Re: the fanbase, I don't worry too much about the fanbase. It'll go on business as usual.... optimists, pessimists, haters, kool-aid drinkers, yada, yada, yada

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that they are winners. When you've been a non-winner your entire existance, it's something... Following a football team is not exactly an English Lit course, so I think it is OK to be fired up about hitting milestones and a team with a bright future...

Re: the fanbase, I don't worry too much about the fanbase. It'll go on business as usual.... optimists, pessimists, haters, kool-aid drinkers, yada, yada, yada

Getting "fired up" about 9-7 runs the risk of your team believing it's a
big deal. Holla at me when we achieve our first 14-2 season.

Double Barrel
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM

pollyanna (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pollyanna) - Pol⋅ly⋅an⋅na Spelled Pronunciation [pol-ee-an-uh]

–noun 1. an excessively or blindly optimistic person.

–adjective 2. (often lowercase) Also, Pol⋅ly⋅an⋅na⋅ish. unreasonably or illogically optimistic: some pollyanna notions about world peace.

:tiphat: credit Vinny

Silver Oak
01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
the offseason is cool.

thunderkyss
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Getting "fired up" about 9-7 runs the risk of your team believing it's a
big deal. Holla at me when we achieve our first 14-2 season.

You know you can save yourself a lot of time, & us a lot of grief, if you'd just move on to Colt fandom.

I'm ec(freakin)static that this team is 9-7 & quite frankly getting tired of people pissing on my parade.

I'm sorry you thought we were Super Bowl Contenders in '09.
I'm sorry you're bubble was popped.

I know how special you must feel that you're the only one who understands that 9-7 isn't a "big deal"

But I find it hard to believe that you think this team is not disappointed that they aren't 12-5, or that they didn't get into the play-offs.

Everyone else seems to be able to understand what 9-7 means for this team.... why can't you?

infantrycak
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
People are mentioning the Jet game because the only reason they got in was because they held the tie breaker over us because they beat us.

Win any one more game and the Texans are in. Any of the seven games so all this division stuff became irrelevant although generally it has to improve. Of course if we had beat the Jets we could have dropped a different game and still been in.

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 07:45 PM
You know you can save yourself a lot of time, & us a lot of grief, if you'd just move on to Colt fandom.

I'm ec(freakin)static that this team is 9-7 & quite frankly getting tired of people pissing on my parade.

I'm sorry you thought we were Super Bowl Contenders in '09.
I'm sorry you're bubble was popped.

I know how special you must feel that you're the only one who understands that 9-7 isn't a "big deal"

But I find it hard to believe that you think this team is not disappointed that they aren't 12-5, or that they didn't get into the play-offs.

Everyone else seems to be able to understand what 9-7 means for this team.... why can't you?

I'm actually ready to start the 2010 season, so how I can see how this
team does in the Big Six Games. I'm looking to have a winning record
after 12 games for "The First Time In Franchise History." I'm a fan of this
team 'till the end, but you don't serve punch and cake when your F student
finally brings home a C.

If that sounds cold, then so be it.
:fans:

Arky
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
pollyanna (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pollyanna) - Pol⋅ly⋅an⋅na Spelled Pronunciation [pol-ee-an-uh]

–noun 1. an excessively or blindly optimistic person.

–adjective 2. (often lowercase) Also, Pol⋅ly⋅an⋅na⋅ish. unreasonably or illogically optimistic: some pollyanna notions about world peace.

:tiphat: credit Vinny

hopeless (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hopeless)  /ˈhoʊplɪs/ [hohp-lis]
–adjective

1. providing no hope; beyond optimism or hope; desperate: a hopeless case of cancer.
2. without hope; despairing: hopeless grief.
3. impossible to accomplish, solve, resolve, etc.: Balancing my budget is hopeless.
4. not able to learn or act, perform, or work as desired; inadequate for the purpose: As a bridge player, you're hopeless.

:tiphat: credit me

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Win any one more game and the Texans are in. Any of the seven games so all this division stuff became irrelevant although generally it has to improve. Of course if we had beat the Jets we could have dropped a different game and still been in.

Easier said than done. The Jets are a team similar to the Jags and Titans
in the way their made up. We struggle against the physical teams like
those two in our division, and other AFC teams like the Steelers and Ravens.
THAT is what needs to change. The Colts CAN play physical, we simply
haven't been able to match. The NFC East is made up of FOUR such teams.
Good luck in 2010 if physicality isn't added to our lines this offseason.

thunderkyss
01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm actually ready to start the 2010 season, so how I can see how this
team does in the Big Six Games. I'm looking to have a winning record
after 12 games for "The First Time In Franchise History." I'm a fan of this
team 'till the end, but you don't serve punch and cake when your F student
finally brings home a C.

If that sounds cold, then so be it.
:fans:

It's not about sounding cold. It's about not acknowledging this team's history. You know 9-7 is a big deal for this team, & you act all superior with your "I know more about football than you, call me when your 14-2" attitude.

You know that 9-7 is a milestone for this team. However pathetic that may be, let us celebrate.

If you want to continue with how pathetic this team is, why don't you go pick on the guys boasting stats, & tell them how empty an accomplishment it is to have a top 5 in almost every category. Give them the real skinny on just how good that defense really isn't. Tell them that 3 defensive pro bowlers mean nothing since our division record is so wack.

I know your football knowledge is far superior than we mere mortals can ever hope to understand. But try to understand that we do have tangible reasons to be excited about for this past season as well as the upcoming season.

thunderkyss
01-07-2010, 09:06 PM

R you sayin Tennessee & Jacksonville out physicaled us thie year, & that's why we lost?

Did you research this at all or did you just pull it out of your ass?]

DexmanC
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM

R you sayin Tennessee & Jacksonville out physicaled us thie year, & that's why we lost?

Vince Young ran like a wild coyote on Monday Night, EVERY TIME he
needed a 1st down. The Jags handed the ball off to MJD NON STOP
for 3 1ST DOWNS to SEAL THEIR VICTORY. Joseph Addai pulled of a 10
yard run to seal the game for the Colts in the final quarter.

I stand by what I said. Check the tape. When teams need a yard on us, they get
it. When we need a yard against them, we go 4 and out at the 1 yardline. The AFC
South + the NFC East = playing the 13 games against teams like the Ravens, Cowboys,
and Jets. We do NOT play well CONSISTENTLY against the physical teams of this league.
That is a FACT.

houstonspartan
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Vince Young ran like a wild coyote on Monday Night, EVERY TIME he
needed a 1st down. The Jags handed the ball off to MJD NON STOP
for 3 1ST DOWNS to SEAL THEIR VICTORY. Joseph Addai pulled of a 10
yard run to seal the game for the Colts in the final quarter.

I stand by what I said. Check the tape. When teams need a yard on us, they get
it. When we need a yard against them, we go 4 and out at the 1 yardline. The AFC
South + the NFC East = playing the 13 games against teams like the Ravens, Cowboys,
and Jets. We do NOT play well CONSISTENTLY against the physical teams of this league.
That is a FACT.

You're right

Double Barrel
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
hopeless (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hopeless)  /ˈhoʊplɪs/ [hohp-lis]
–adjective

1. providing no hope; beyond optimism or hope; desperate: a hopeless case of cancer.
2. without hope; despairing: hopeless grief.
3. impossible to accomplish, solve, resolve, etc.: Balancing my budget is hopeless.
4. not able to learn or act, perform, or work as desired; inadequate for the purpose: As a bridge player, you're hopeless.

:tiphat: credit me

I'm far from hopeless. But cute attempt.

I'm just not hopelessly delusional. However, if you want to believe that 9-7 means more than it means, be my guest.

Being 9-7 this year does not automatically mean anything for next season.

Yes, we should be happy that we finally got our first winning season. We should look forward to upgrading an already improving offense and defense. Without a doubt these are things to look forward to.

But, it is rather naive to act like there are not glaring problems that have plagued us this past season. The inability to finish games or even play consistently for 60 minutes is a primary concern. Our lack of a consistent running game, the need to obtain quality starters in a few positions, the lack of depth in many positions, are just a few areas for the more reality inclined.

Bathe in your koolaide bath. If this is your first time to watch football, it matters not to me. Just don't try to sell some Pollyanna perspective and expect me to buy into it. Woohoo, they're winners now. Please tell me exactly what they have won.

I like talking football, not this nipple-rubbing crotch-gazing rhetoric that you are spewing. :spin:

thunderkyss
01-08-2010, 01:43 PM

I'm just not hopelessly delusional. However, if you want to believe that 9-7 means more than it means, be my guest.

Yes, we should be happy that we finally got our first winning season. We should look forward to upgrading an already improving offense and defense. Without a doubt these are things to look forward to.

But, it is rather naive to act like there are not glaring problems that have plagued us this past season. The inability to finish games or even play consistently for 60 minutes is a primary concern. Our lack of a consistent running game, the need to obtain quality starters in a few positions, the lack of depth in many positions, are just a few areas for the more reality inclined.

Bathe in your koolaide bath. If this is your first time to watch football, it matters not to me. Just don't try to sell some Pollyanna perspective and expect me to buy into it. Woohoo, they're winners now. Please tell me exactly what they have won.

I like talking football, not this nipple-rubbing crotch-gazing rhetoric that you are spewing. :spin:

I don't think he was trying to sell you on anything, other than the fact that it is a milestone he feels is worthy of some celebration.

Mr teX
01-08-2010, 01:51 PM

Chris Johnson & Maurice Jones-Drew both averaged a bill + against us. You don't do that without out-physicaling your opponent.

Honoring Earl 34
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM

I think this is where you split things up into two parts .

A. I was happy we had something riding on the last game other than the Reggie pick . For once we got to watch to the bitter end for a playoff birth and for that I thank the Texans .

B. You bunch of dummies , you blew 5 or 6 games and put yourselves in a hole when you should have been a shoo in . I expect more bang for my buck and simply am not satified with wait until next year . I want some bigger OL/DL , a RB , and DBs .

HOU-TEX
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

A. I was happy we had something riding on the last game other than the Reggie pick . For once we got to watch to the bitter end for a playoff birth and for that I thank the Texans .

B. You bunch of dummies , you blew 5 or 6 games and put yourselves in a hole when you should have been a shoo in . I expect more bang for my buck and simply am not satified with wait until next year . I want some bigger OL/DL , a RB , and DBs .

Is it ok to agree with both A and B? I'm A, but also felt like B a lot this season

infantrycak
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Chris Johnson & Maurice Jones-Drew both averaged a bill + against us. You don't do that without out-physicaling your opponent.

No, MJD did not but it was just under. And normally you are correct, but you can when you are ripping off 57, 91 and 61 yd runs on blown assignments and missed tackles.

BigBull17
01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
No, MJD did not but it was just under. And normally you are correct, but you can when you are ripping off 57, 91 and 61 yd runs on blown assignments and missed tackles.

This.

DexmanC
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM

We can bury our heads in stats like #3 offense, or #12 run defense, but
I prefer to look at the situations in our division games which caused our
losses. Chris Brown missing the field goals didn't put us behind against
the Colts. Joseph Addai hop-stepping ten yards for the TD DID. MJD getting
the tough yards to run the clock to zero, DID get us beat. Close games
usually come down to those moments, and as our team is currently
constructed, we're behind the 8-ball in 90% of such situations.

My point is, the vast majority of teams we're gonna face in 2010 play
the style of ball we just don't fare well against.

Double Barrel
01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't think he was trying to sell you on anything, other than the fact that it is a milestone he feels is worthy of some celebration.

'eh, if you say so.

Celebrating a season that ended with week 17 is good for some, but after an 8 year drought, I'd like a glass of water at some point.

And yeah, it's a "milestone" yada yada yada, just like our "first winning streak" last season and "our first OT win" whenever that happens.

It's like whipped cream for dinner, though. Empty and still leaves you hungry.

Exactly. I think it's nice to be HAPPY that we finally get a winning season after 8 years, but is celebrating in order?

Maybe it's like St. Patrick's Day. People just looking for a reason to party, I suppose. And good for them. I just don't want them getting pissy with me when I don't accept the party invitation.

Is it ok to agree with both A and B? I'm A, but also felt like B a lot this season

I hope so, because I feel the same way. A tempered optimism, but certainly not delusional. Next season is next season, and we are not the kind of team that we can expect consistency from year to year (as evidenced by our lack of consistency from half to half in a game).

Arky
01-08-2010, 05:54 PM
'eh, if you say so.

Celebrating a season that ended with week 17 is good for some, but after an 8 year drought, I'd like a glass of water at some point.

And yeah, it's a "milestone" yada yada yada, just like our "first winning streak" last season and "our first OT win" whenever that happens.

It's like whipped cream for dinner, though. Empty and still leaves you hungry.

Exactly. I think it's nice to be HAPPY that we finally get a winning season after 8 years, but is celebrating in order?

Celebrating? I think not. More optimistic than pessimistic, though....

Maybe it's like St. Patrick's Day. People just looking for a reason to party, I suppose. And good for them. I just don't want them getting pissy with me when I don't accept the party invitation.

It's more like having a bunch of ugly drunks show up at your party. Uninvited.

Not that I'm actually partying. Not pointing at you, but some are just over-the-top negative, pessimistic, too-cool-for-school and seriously bummed out. Jeez, it's football. It's entertainment (or should be).

I hope so, because I feel the same way. A tempered optimism, but certainly not delusional. Next season is next season, and we are not the kind of team that we can expect consistency from year to year (as evidenced by our lack of consistency from half to half in a game).

Ya know, at the start of the season, on another forum, I took a look at the strength and weaknesses of this team, I saw the good parts, I saw the bad parts, I put an injury factor in, I put a youth/rookie factor in, I used past history for what it was worth, I used my 48 years of watching AFL/NFL football and came up with a preseason prediction of 9-7. So, I expected 9-7 and no playoffs. Nope, this wasn't one of those keep-expectations-low-that-way-your-not-disappointed deals, it was based on reality. And not the pseudo-reality the pessimists use. When they were 5-7, things didn't look so hot (did anyone feel they were a contender @ 5-7?) and I was pleased that they actually starting clicking like a real NFL team in the last 4 games. Those last two games, they were a playoff-capable team. So, to sum up, I knew they weren't a playoff team at the start of the season and am having a hard time understanding this love for dwelling on the "bad parts" or some asserting their form of a "reality check" on others. There's plenty of time to "get real" in the off season.

I actually agree with some of you that Kubiak needs to get it done next year. I'm just not veins-poppin'-out-of-my-neck vehement about it. 10+ wins or gone is what I think.

Double Barrel
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Good post, Arky! :)

I was just having fun, and glad that you took it that way, as well. We are pretty much on the same page, though. It's just a game, entertainment, so it's nothing to get upset about.

I thought 9-7 before the season, as well. It still felt like there were some pieces missing, which is still the case, but we do have reason to be guardedly optimistic because we have many positive developments.

Have a good weekend! :howdy:

JB
01-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Celebrating? I think not. More optimistic than pessimistic, though....

It's more like having a bunch of ugly drunks show up at your party. Uninvited.

Not that I'm actually partying. Not pointing at you, but some are just over-the-top negative, pessimistic, too-cool-for-school and seriously bummed out. Jeez, it's football. It's entertainment (or should be).

Ya know, at the start of the season, on another forum, I took a look at the strength and weaknesses of this team, I saw the good parts, I saw the bad parts, I put an injury factor in, I put a youth/rookie factor in, I used past history for what it was worth, I used my 48 years of watching AFL/NFL football and came up with a preseason prediction of 9-7. So, I expected 9-7 and no playoffs. Nope, this wasn't one of those keep-expectations-low-that-way-your-not-disappointed deals, it was based on reality. And not the pseudo-reality the pessimists use. When they were 5-7, things didn't look so hot (did anyone feel they were a contender @ 5-7?) and I was pleased that they actually starting clicking like a real NFL team in the last 4 games. Those last two games, they were a playoff-capable team. So, to sum up, I knew they weren't a playoff team at the start of the season and am having a hard time understanding this love for dwelling on the "bad parts" or some asserting their form of a "reality check" on others. There's plenty of time to "get real" in the off season.

I actually agree with some of you that Kubiak needs to get it done next year. I'm just not veins-poppin'-out-of-my-neck vehement about it. 10+ wins or gone is what I think.

Good post, Arky! :)

I was just having fun, and glad that you took it that way, as well. We are pretty much on the same page, though. It's just a game, entertainment, so it's nothing to get upset about.

I thought 9-7 before the season, as well. It still felt like there were some pieces missing, which is still the case, but we do have reason to be guardedly optimistic because we have many positive developments.

Have a good weekend! :howdy:

very well put! Can we move on now?

infantrycak
01-09-2010, 01:20 PM
the Colts. Joseph Addai hop-stepping ten yards for the TD DID.

It's Kris Brown and yes it did. If Kris had hit the 1st missed field goal Addai would have been hopping in to tie the game. Then Kris' 2nd miss would have been to win.

Goatcheese
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
the Colts. Joseph Addai hop-stepping ten yards for the TD DID. MJD getting
the tough yards to run the clock to zero, DID get us beat. Close games
usually come down to those moments, and as our team is currently
constructed, we're behind the 8-ball in 90% of such situations.

My point is, the vast majority of teams we're gonna face in 2010 play
the style of ball we just don't fare well against.

We're actually #10 in rush defense, tied with ATL and TEN with 106.9 YPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

infantrycak
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
So, to sum up, I knew they weren't a playoff team at the start of the season and am having a hard time understanding this love for dwelling on the "bad parts" or some asserting their form of a "reality check" on others.

My prediction was 10-6 in a hairball with Indy and TN coming back some and us exactly where we ended, needing a tiebreaker to get into the playoffs. Turns out Indy didn't come back any and TN did more than I thought. I have a real hard time being upset about a season going basically like I thought it would. As for pieces needed I think the team showed they can play with anyone with what they have now. Now they are a team clearly looking to improve but from good to great. Obviously there are plenty of things to discuss on improvement but I don't at all get the jump off the cliff crowd (not you DB) that wants to tear down everything about this team.

thunderkyss
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
My prediction was 10-6 in a hairball with Indy and TN coming back some and us exactly where we ended, needing a tiebreaker to get into the playoffs.

I wasn't even thinking play-offs. As we've seen the last two years, an 11-5 team didn't get in, in 2008. Then you had 4 9-7 teams in 2009, with 2 of them winning Wild-Card spots.

Who knows what is going to happen next year?

I did believe we would do better in our division. I thought we would be much better in close games.

It was good, that we played well, and that we were in every game (except the Jets) till the very end. But I am disappointed we weren't competing for the division title over the second half of the year.

But, I didn't expect the Colts possibly go 16-0 either.