PDA

View Full Version : When will Kubiak...

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Start watching the big plays during the game? He always looks to the ground or walks the other direction. I'm sure it has an effect on the players.

Ole Miss Texan
01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I doubt it has any effect. Qb's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady often don't watch crucial FG's. It's not uncommon.

JB
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Start watching the big plays during the game? He always looks to the ground or walks the other direction. I'm sure it has an effect on the players.

Why would it? I think it is just one of his little superstitions and no one really pays attention to it... other than fans and media

treduke
01-06-2010, 09:25 AM
i dont think its that big of a deal
i doubt andre johson is out on the field thinking why is coach walking the other way?

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Why would it? I think it is just one of his little superstitions and no one really pays attention to it... other than fans and media

I thought it was kind of strange when they showed the replay in the New England game. I knew he did it for field goals, though.

GP
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I doubt it has any effect. Qb's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady often don't watch crucial FG's. It's not uncommon.

Really?

I always see them watching stuff like that.

And they don't go into a big act of drama about it. They stand there and watch, waiting to see what happens.

Our guy? He grimaces as if he bet his salary on the game.

I think, in the end, this is a very telling character trait of Kubiak. Even HE doesn't think we can do it.

Which is why he agonizes over the crucial plays at ends of games. He can't bear to think how he's going to be able to stomach another tough loss.

This is what I mean when I say that coaches can impact the play of their players. If any of you think none of the players (a) see what he does and (b) have even talked about it with one another, then I don't know what to say.

He doesn't inspire confidence. And a major proof of this is right there in front of everybody's noses.

Oh well. One day he'll evolve into a higher being. :cool:

El Tejano
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I think it shows a coach who cares about winning so much that he can't take it to watch it. I know I get like that at home sometimes.

MannyFresh
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
.....cut the two Ch/K ris'?

GP
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I think it shows a coach who cares about winning so much that he can't take it to watch it. I know I get like that at home sometimes.

I generally praise you for your posts, but I have to say "Boo!" on this one.

Of course he cares about winning, but I think his over-the-top melodrama has exposed traits that point toward the failures of this team: Lack of confidence that things will end up working in our favor.

At worst, he's telling us that he didn't put the players into position to run away with the game and avoid a close ending.

At best, he's saying that he doesn't think his players can out-do the opponent when it matters most.

He's cringing at the thought of losing YET ANOTHER very close game that should not have been close in the first place.

The top priority of Gary Kubiak should be figuring out how to finish off the Titans and the Jaguars.

Section516
01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Did he do it at Denver?

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Of course he cares about winning, but I think his over-the-top melodrama has exposed traits that point toward the failures of this team: Lack of confidence that things will end up working in our favor.

At worst, he's telling us that he didn't put the players into position to run away with the game and avoid a close ending.

At best, he's saying that he doesn't think his players can out-do the opponent when it matters most.

He's cringing at the thought of losing YET ANOTHER very close game that should not have been close in the first place.

The top priority of Gary Kubiak should be figuring out how to finish off the Titans and the Jaguars.

EXACTLY. I don't give a damn if he looks at the field goals or not. I just want improvement in our division. Period.

El Tejano
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

I agree with the last sentence. I believe that anytime you are nervous it means you care about what's about to go down. If you weren't nervous you wouldn't really care about what's taking place. We can sit here and talk about how the game shouldn't have come down to the last wire. So can Indy in most of their games. The fact is that the game was on the line and most likely his career. The other fact is that our team has been in that situation before during the season and the results haven't been in our favor. You are going to do this :headhurts: when the game is on the line let alone your career.

Do I think he needs to do a better job coaching? Yes. Let me ask you what it tells the players if he shows no emotion at all? What if he shows no emotion when we failed? What does that show the team. At least him having some kind of reaction should tell the players ' I really want to win this game'.

Tailgate
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
The confidence comes when the players on the field MAKE the plays he cant bear to watch.

Malloy
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
EXACTLY. I don't give a damn if he looks at the field goals or not. I just want improvement in our division. Period.

jup. Personally, he could be getting liquored up in the executive suites during the game as long as he makes the right calls :)

eriadoc
01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I really, honestly think some of you are overanalyzing, perhaps even reaching, in an effort to justify why Kubiak is a bad coach. Kubiak is a bad coach (ok, maybe "mediocre") because he has a 31-33 record. Nothing more, nothing less. Who the F&^% cares if he watches crucial plays? Pretty much no one but a few dissatisfied fans.

There are better reasons to be on Kubiak's case.

50boys
01-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I think it's just plan superstition. Probably started one game maybe back in Dener and he just kept doing it. I'd be doing it two if Kris Brown was my kicker...

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I really, honestly think some of you are overanalyzing, perhaps even reaching, in an effort to justify why Kubiak is a bad coach. Kubiak is a bad coach (ok, maybe "mediocre") because he has a 31-33 record. Nothing more, nothing less. Who the F&^% cares if he watches crucial plays? Pretty much no one but a few dissatisfied fans.

Co-sign. To judge Kubiak on him not looking at field goals is ridiculus and unfair. I don't like him, but it has nothing to do with his body language. Do I think his body language should improve? Sure. But that is the least of this team's worries.

As long as the W's improve, he can take a freaking nap during field goals for all I care.

BigBull17
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
In the realm of what Kuniak needs to improve/change, this is WAY down the list. Id rather him make changes when something isn't working a little faster than he does. Id like him to know when a play is close and have his guys hurry up and snap it. Id rather he know when to challenge a play and when not to.

Double Barrel
01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Not watching plays doesn't bother me.

However, what I do not understand is why he stands 30 yards away from the LOS. He stands with the trainers, and very rarely gets over to the bench to work strategy with his players. I've seen many of the great coaches make adjustments on the sideline and work with the players to point out situations with pictures and diagrams when they are on the bench, but Kubiak removes himself from all of that and stays far, far away from where the action is happening on and off the field.

I sat with Vinny during the Colts game, and we were tracking Kubiak the entire game. He literally stayed 25-30 yards away from the LOS and never went to the bench to work strategy or adjustments with his offensive unit. It's a strange M.O., imo.

It's not a criticism on my part, but I just genuinely wonder what the mentality is behind being so distant and aloof during games.

GP
01-06-2010, 11:06 AM

The "can't look at big plays" is not WHY he is a bad coach, but instead it is the symptom of the illness.

1-6 in divisional games, and this is not his first season here. So there's no excuse for getting owned by your rivals in your fourth year. He hasn't shown he can out-coach his divisional rivals.

Hardcore Texan
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I really, honestly think some of you are overanalyzing, perhaps even reaching,
Who the F&^% cares if he watches crucial plays? Pretty much no one but a few dissatisfied fans.

Yep, I guess the offseason has started. :spin:

b0ng
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Really?

And they don't go into a big act of drama about it. They stand there and watch, waiting to see what happens.

I think, in the end, this is a very telling character trait of Kubiak. Even HE doesn't think we can do it.

Which is why he agonizes over the crucial plays at ends of games. He can't bear to think how he's going to be able to stomach another tough loss.

This is what I mean when I say that coaches can impact the play of their players. If any of you think none of the players (a) see what he does and (b) have even talked about it with one another, then I don't know what to say.

He doesn't inspire confidence. And a major proof of this is right there in front of everybody's noses.

Or, none of the players could give two ****s either way. Hmmmmm.

disaacks3
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I doubt it has any effect. Qb's like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady often don't watch crucial FG's. It's not uncommon. I've seen Tony Dungy do it as well. This is NOT a big deal. There's plenty of 'legit' things to complain about with Kubes', but this is not among them.

Honoring Earl 34
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I've seen Tony Dungy do it as well. This is NOT a big deal. There's plenty of 'legit' things to complain about with Kubes', but this is not among them.

I turn my head during the Exorcist and Kris Brown's kicking these days is much scarier . :spin:

WWJD
01-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I think it's silly for him not to look but apparently that's just something he can't make himself do..

infantrycak
01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey, did you see when he looked back after the play he waived his Denny's menu over at Belichick. Unfortunately Belichick didn't see it because he was looking at an I-Hop menu. Now that's the sign of a winner.

OzzO
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Start watching the big plays during the game? ...

Right after the love/hate Kubiak new threads slow down to maybe once or twice a month.

(just messin with ya)

Hervoyel
01-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I think Jack Pardee would look more professional and "involved" if he wore a headset during the game. That's just me though.

The not watching is kind of irritating to me but in a non-important way. Meaning that if everything else was going smoothly then nobody would notice or care that he doesn't watch important plays. Since there are other things here that don't seem to be working (things like "the entire team falling asleep at halftime and staying that way until the game is over" for instance) this comes up.

Whatever, it's over and he's coming back and I don't care what he does during important plays next season as long as we win games. Winning games isn't a given all of sudden because we happen to have won 9 of them this year. The way this team behaves I wouldn't be surprised to see us come out next year and stumble around for 3-4 weeks again because our team just expects to be winners. They are at that awkward stage in their development where they handle adversity just fine but success not so well. That's the part I have a doubt with where Kubiak is concerned. I'm not convinced he can get them past this point yet (whether he's watching the important plays or not).

Fox
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM

This. People loved to rag on Capers for his expressions and repetitive use of the word 'execute', now they hone in on Kubiak's not watching field goals, not yelling enough, and taking too much blame in post-loss press conferences. When you're not winning championships, any little thing that makes you different becomes a point of ridicule.... Personally I could care less if he watches the crucial field goals or not, I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the coaching he provides.

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Really?

Exactly. I know that I wouldn't get that hyped from a HC that puts his head down when the game is on the line and can't stomach to watch what's happening. This is football and it's a sport where you want to look at your coach and see toughness and some sort of grit. Not a guy who hides from the climax and the deciding moment. I think it's very telling about the guy's character. Are you going to want to run through a wall for a guy that won't even watch you do it? The Texans have been criticized a lot the last two seasons for not having a sense of urgency at times when they need to and for not playing with an edge. It's not really surprising when that attitude is supposed to trickle down from the HC and this HC can't even stomach to watch the most crucial plays of the game that actually decide the game. That "betting his salary" on the game is the perfect analogy as well. He totally looks like gambler that is about to lose it all.

GP
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
It does not come down to just what the players can do on the field.

If things hinge so crucially upon the players, then what are the coaches there for? To ensure the players show up to all functions? To monitor the greatness of the players, so the coaches can munch on snacks and sit in awe of the players' abilities? "Lookin' good guys, let us know if you need anything!"

Coaches construct playbooks. They tinker with the car's engine. And most importantly, they try to decipher what the opponent MIGHT do, what they TEND to do, and what new wrinkles the opponent might throw against the Texans based on what WE might do or tend to do.

I see a coach who doesn't let his QB audible unless it's to a run ONLY. I'd rather lose a few games because Matt audibled to a wrong passing play, rather than not allowing the QB to improvise based on what he's seeing in the defense's pre-snap look(s).

I see a coach who has no comprehension of what it means--over the course of a very long and grueling NFL season--to have a stable of really good running backs. The Chris Brown thing boggles the mind because Kubiak has been pressed on why we didn't give a more serious look to Benson and others out there. The answer from Kubiak? Chris Brown. WTH? I wasn't happy with the signing to begin with, and wasn't happy with him carrying the ball earlier in the year, am not happy now, and will not be happy for every day that goes by that he hasn't been released from the Texans. yet the guy is in great graces with the head coach? Seriously?!?!? LOL.

I see a coach who didn't bring in another kicker when KB got the yips. It wasn't like KB missed one field goal. He was shanking almost everything, and especially anything that was needed for tying the game or winning it. This is example number two of how Kubiak's mentality towards roster decisions leaves us wanting something better than Gary Kubiak.

Roster puzzlement number 3 is Arian Foster. Duh.

Roster mystery number 4 is Jacoby Jones. Instead of fining the pants off Jacoby (and I mean seriously stripping the guy of some MAJOR dough) he leaves him home on the away game in Jax. What could JJ have done for us in that game? What if he had hauled in a few big-time passes and maybe even scored TDs or gave us better position after punts? I'm not saying we excuse JJ not following team rules, etc. I'm saying "Coach Kubiak, find a way that really hits JJ hard. His wallet. Let him play, but fine him triple the amount of his paycheck for the game." Let's see how long he keeps breaking team rules.

Roster enigma number 5: Chris "Tyranasaurus Rex Arms" Myers. He reminds me of the T-Rex in "Toy Story" how he sticks those stubbs out there and ends up missing key blocks because he can't remember that he's not Stretch Armstrong. This guy is good backup material, and nothing more. He's the Salaam of centers: Tries hard, but should not be the guy responsible for his position. He blew a block that cost us a game, and that's only one instance that I can remember. We're all pretty much agreed that he's not what we NEED at center. I'm good with grabbing an ugly center in round 1. I really am. Find the best center ont he board, someone who represents nastiness and is a bulldog, and get him in round 1. Only Dez Bryant falling to us would re-route us from getting a very solid center, if I'm pulling the trigger on draft day. OK, maybe a good CB or S or RB. We need 'em all. I just wonder what would happen if we had a really solid center and the other four o-linemen could just worry about THEIR jobs and not Myers' lack of doing his.

I don't like Kubiak's huge involvement with gameday playcalling. I just don't. Look, Gary, just change the title of your o-coord into something like "Guy who will just be overridden by Gary on gameday, but is expected to handle all other o-coord duties the other 99% of the time." No wonder Kyle would go be with his dad. He might get to call plays more! I know this is heavy-handed of me, but I get the idea that Kubiak has is hands all over that playbook on gameday. I just do. And you guys do, too.

I could care about challenges. You won't see me posting any of that nonesense. Big whoop. You win some, you lose some. The Colts would have called a timeout even if Kubiak had hurried Schaub to the line (Moats fumble in Indy). They would have. Trust me. It would have happened even if we tried to get a play off. In fact, the flag would have been thrown immediately.

All in all, I am happy with his design of our offense.

Not happy with (a) his pudgy finger in the pie known as our playbook, (b) roster decisions that I think have cost us BIG time, and (c) strategies to neutralize our rivals' best playmakers--He's had four years, for crying out loud.

I'm happy with this post. It represents three areas that I think Kubiak has been a hindrance to this team. It nullifies all the other "good" that he;s done. So, in other words: It's incomplete.

Do I think he magically turns the corner in year 5? Nope.

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey, did you see when he looked back after the play he waived his Denny's menu over at Belichick. Unfortunately Belichick didn't see it because he was looking at an I-Hop menu. Now that's the sign of a winner.

I'm pretty sure that BB is looking at high dollar steak menu after all of his divisional wins and SB rings from year to year. BB was looking more at the dessert menu since he had taken a ton of his starters out including his HOF QB that's one of the best clutch QB's in history on the bench. I don't think BB expected to win or even cared at that point.

eriadoc
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
That "betting his salary" on the game is the perfect analogy as well. He totally looks like gambler that is about to lose it all.

Well, he has bet his salary on these guys - his job is on the line. And if you had bet your salary on Kris Brown making a FG, how would you feel? If you had bet your salary on this collection of players making a 3rd and Goal from the 1YL, how do you like your chances? Never mind all the fancy, complex plays - these guys usually can't convert the most basic of plays when it really matters the most.

And that's why the team is mediocre. I turn my head away sometimes as well.

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Well, he has bet his salary on these guys - his job is on the line. And if you had bet your salary on Kris Brown making a FG, how would you feel? If you had bet your salary on this collection of players making a 3rd and Goal from the 1YL, how do you like your chances? Never mind all the fancy, complex plays - these guys usually can't convert the most basic of plays when it really matters the most.

And that's why the team is mediocre. I turn my head away sometimes as well.

Well, that's what you get with Kubes. He's one of the worst coaches I've ever seen at choosing his personal on game day. We were screwed from the jump once he had put Chris Brown in on all of those run plays early on in the season. Don't forget that he thought that he could make a winner out of Carr after being able to watch 4 years of suckage from the guy.

GP
01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
This. People loved to rag on Capers for his expressions and repetitive use of the word 'execute', now they hone in on Kubiak's not watching field goals, not yelling enough, and taking too much blame in post-loss press conferences. When you're not winning championships, any little thing that makes you different becomes a point of ridicule.... Personally I could care less if he watches the crucial field goals or not, I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the coaching he provides.

It's not a reason why he coaches poorly.

It's the RESULT of him knowing that, once again, we're not in the position that he always says he's trying to put "his kids" into.

One divisional win this year out of SIX games. ONE win.

That's coaching problems, folks. That says that your rivals have a way of beating YOU and you don't have any answer for it.

To that degree, Del Rio and Fisher and Whoever Gets To Coach Manning has just pwned Gary Kubiak's "kids." This isn't trying to replicate the Dr. Pepper formula, OK? It's battling a known opponent that you face twice a year, every year, coached by essentially the same guys for four years.

Give a new head coach a "pass" in his first year against rivals? Fine. Two years? Maybe. Three years? No. Four years? Heck no!

I guess we get to see what major damage Kubiak is going to do to our divisional rivals in year 5, since he's been playing possum the past four years.

Goatcheese
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I think he does it just to piss off the soapers. He really hates you people.

GuerillaBlack
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Right after the love/hate Kubiak new threads slow down to maybe once or twice a month.

(just messin with ya)

Ha. I almost never make threads. :)

Hardcore Texan
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I think it's just plan superstition. Probably started one game maybe back in Dener and he just kept doing it. I'd be doing it two if Kris Brown was my kicker...

Reminds me of this quote from Ace Ventura:

These player are supersticious, I got a lineman who hasn't washed his jock in two years because he thinks flies are lucky!

GP
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that BB is looking at high dollar steak menu after all of his divisional wins and SB rings from year to year. BB was looking more at the dessert menu since he had taken a ton of his starters out including his HOF QB that's one of the best clutch QB's in history on the bench. I don't think BB expected to win or even cared at that point.

Adding to that:

I think BB was amazed that his team was still rolling us pretty hard despite all of what you mentioned.

He had to have been puzzled, like Spock would be puzzled in Star Trek, as to why the humanoid being known as Kubiak could not get his team to play any better until the last quarter of regulation.

BB is Spock. "That is not logical."

Kubiak is Bones. "Damnit, Mr. McNair! I'm an o-coordinator. Not a head coach!"

Cowher is Captain Kirk. "We've GOT to fire all photons!"

Daddy Gibbs is Scotty. "I'm givin' her all the zone blocking I got, captain!"

Del Rio is a Klingon. No, wait: Manning is a Klingon (with that huge dashboard of his). Or, maybe Manning is The Borg.

GP
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I think he does it just to piss off the soapers. He really hates you people.

We hate us, too.

eriadoc
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, that's what you get with Kubes. He's one of the worst coaches I've ever seen at choosing his personal on game day. We were screwed from the jump once he had put Chris Brown in on all of those run plays early on in the season.

More reaching, IMO. Slaton wasn't getting it in the EZ either. Nor last year did he.

Where Kubiak is a terrible coach, and why I wore the pink soap avatar, is his reaction to how badly his players perform. Some teams can line up Bob Schmoe at RB and punch it in on 3rd and Goal from the 1YL. An NFL team needs to be able to do that. I wonder how many RBs have rushing TDs for the Pats this year ..... Faulk, Maroney, Morris, BenAlphabet, Fred Taylor ... maybe another? If you're an NFL player, forget coaching, you need to be able to execute a handful of plays no matter who's calling what. You need to be able to punch it in for short yardage, you need to be able to convert a FG, you need to be able to handle a QB sneak. There's no magic to those plays, and there's nothing on the coach for those plays. Go out, be a man, and beat the guy across from you. Our guys don't do that.

So Kubiak develops a lack of trust for his players in these areas (rightfully so), and then starts to do stupid things to overcome them. He called the Chris Brown HB pass. He starts to get cute with the goal line plays in general. He doesn't go for the kill in 2-min. drill situations because he doesn't trust his players won't turn the ball over. He told Schaub to dive to the middle of the field to set up a 49-yd. FG when we still had a TO left. Etc., etc., etc.

Some of this comes back on the players simply not performing, and many of y'all want to blast Kubiak for that stuff, which I don't agree with. Kubiak makes it worse on himself by doing stupid things in response to his players not performing. He's searching for answers and outsmarting himself.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
:brickwall: It's gonna be a loooooooooooonnnnnnnng off season. :gun:

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
More reaching, IMO. Slaton wasn't getting it in the EZ either. Nor last year did he.

Chris Brown was never a good option for the GL regardless of whether Slaton was or wasn't a good GL guy. That's why getting a good bruising RB was supposed to be on the top of our list of priorities in the off season and Kubes completely ignored that despite how bad we were in the RZ last season.

Where Kubiak is a terrible coach, and why I wore the pink soap avatar, is his reaction to how badly his players perform. Some teams can line up Bob Schmoe at RB and punch it in on 3rd and Goal from the 1YL.

All RB's are simply not going to be good short yardage 3rd and 1 or GL backs. That's never been the case. You can't tell just any ole RB to just punch it in and expect him to be successful most of the time if he's not a short yardage type of back, just like you can't expect a bruiser who doesn't have lightning speed to hit HR plays for you that often or even at all.

There's no magic to those plays, and there's nothing on the coach for those plays. Go out, be a man, and beat the guy across from you. Our guys don't do that.

When have any of our RB's been capable of that under Kubiak? None of our RB's have and the only one that was even close to being a decent short yardage back was Dayne and Dayne was terrible in the grand scheme of things, and Kubes main Dayne our main back which was crazy.

Some of this comes back on the players simply not performing, and many of y'all want to blast Kubiak for that stuff, which I don't agree with. Kubiak makes it worse on himself by doing stupid things in response to his players not performing. He's searching for answers and outsmarting himself.

Kubes is the guy that puts these guys on the field to make these types of plays and when they fail it's on him for ever thinking they were the right guy in the first place. Chris Brown has never done squat for this team and was banged up really badly when we acquired him. Why Kubes ever had confidence in him is beyond me. He had confidence in Lundi, Morency, Green, and Taylor as well. His track record with the RB's he thinks are capable has been awful, and that's been his biggest problem no matter how you roll the dice. It's been a personal issue more than anything, and he's picked these guys, practiced with them, and then made the poor choices to use them as his horses in the games.

b0ng
01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Man, if we ever won a superbowl, I'm not even sure how many people would be happy about it on this board.

Grams
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Man, if we ever won a superbowl, I'm not even sure how many people would be happy about it on this board.

There would probably be quite a few that would be unhappy.

Some always have to have something to complain about. - We didn't score enough points, Matt missed an open receiver, the defense missed tackles for a loss, coach missed calling a time-out. You know - the usual same old complaints.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM

Yeah we're back to if you question Kubiak as a coach, you're just bitching and whining.

:kitten:

Grams
01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah we're back to if you question Kubiak as a coach, you're just bitching and whining.

You can question anyone you want , but have we not done that with Kubiak ... again and again and again in the past month.

Just seems like all the posts, no matter what the subject was to begin with, just get back to how bad a coach Kubiak is.

It just gets very old after a while. It is at the point where some posters I do not read anymore if I see the name Kubiak in the post as it will just be a re-hash of the last several posts about Kubiak.

b0ng
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM

A 5 page thread on why it's bad that Kubiak doesn't watch crucial plays at the end of the game.

Okay.

Double Barrel
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM

First, your "if" should actually look like this:

IF

and secondly, I feel pretty confident that 99.9% of the board would be ecstatic if the Texans even made it to the Super Bowl, much less won it.

It's just fans being fans. Much like sports talk radio, this board is an avenue for fans to vent, celebrate, analyze, and have general discussions about a subject that we all care about. When I get tired of sports talk, I put on a cd. When I get tired of the board, I find somewhere else to surf awhile.

But make no mistake, people talk about these things because they care about these things. :)

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 04:11 PM
First, your "if" should actually look like this:

IF

and secondly, I feel pretty confident that 99.9% of the board would be ecstatic if the Texans even made it to the Super Bowl, much less won it.

It's just fans being fans. Much like sports talk radio, this board is an avenue for fans to vent, celebrate, analyze, and have general discussions about a subject that we all care about. When I get tired of sports talk, I put on a cd. When I get tired of the board, I find somewhere else to surf awhile.

But make no mistake, people talk about these things because they care about these things. :)

It's amazing to me at how many in here don't understand this. If a fan is complaining about a HC it's because they care and are passionate about the team's success. You'd think common sense would tell them that, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Pantherstang84
01-06-2010, 04:16 PM

This.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
It's amazing to me at how many in here don't understand this. If a fan is complaining about a HC it's because they care and are passionate about the team's success. You'd think common sense would tell them that, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Texecutioner,

I agree 100 percent. I'm stunned when people tell me I'm not a real fan, or that I want the team to fail. Usually, I have to bring up the fact that I'm a season ticket holder, then they shut up. But, I shouldn't have to bring that up. It shouldn't be an either or proposition.

I have been rought on Kubiak the last several weeks. But I was also searching around for hotel rooms in Boston just in case we made it to the playoffs.

Being a fan is a complex state of mind.
As it should be.

ObsiWan
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Yeah... You guys could save yourselves some keystrokes by just cutting and pasting from other threads. You haven't said anything new in three months.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah... You guys could save yourselves some keystrokes by just cutting and pasting from other threads. You haven't said anything new in three months.

:bravo: Tried to rep. you!!

Second Honeymoon
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM

yeah, and you have been peddling the same excuses and rationalizations for the past three months as well.
whats your point? oh thats right, you dont have one. much easier to just settle for .500 status quo, huh?

Texecutioner
01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
yeah, and you have been peddling the same excuses and rationalizations for the past three months as well.
whats your point? oh thats right, you dont have one. much easier to just settle for the status quo, huh?

I did rep!! You!!

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:38 PM
whats your point? oh thats right, you dont have one. much easier to just settle for .500 status quo, huh?

And you continue to try and sell your opinion as empirical fact. See how that works? It's the same thing.........
only different.

Second Honeymoon
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
And you continue to try and sell your opinion as empirical fact. See how that works? It's the same thing.........
only different.

but Bill, it IS empirical fact. you know why? because I said so. har dee har har.

:bravo:

made the executive decision to re-up the season tickets after the pandemonium euphoria-like feeling of 9-7, so you gotta check out a game with me and my crew next year. were not all teasips, my brother is a Baylor grad so its not all burnt orange sunglasses and bong rips. were not in the Bullpen, we are in the opposite endzone of the Bullpen but the seats are great. maybe i will have a nice and shiny National Championship UT hat to wear with my sparkling Santa Claus new #56 Cushing jersey...something tells me you aren't pulling for the boys from Austin tomorrow night, eh?

will i ever leave the office today? year end is a motherF-er when you work IT. rest of the year is Candyland but the next few weeks will be a bit cumbersome.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
but Bill, it IS empirical fact. you know why? because I said so. har dee har har.

:bravo:

:lol: :heh:

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

Wow....

First I'll say I agree to a point. Your read, on what it means is right on... not looking at field goals I think are different. He doesn't watch any of them, where it's only certain plays that he's praying.

I think he believes our guys are going to screw the pooch again. It's what they've done for the last three years, so why would he think any different?

He hasn't always been like that. It used to only be field goals, now, like you say it's the crucial plays.

Now how it affects the players, who knows. If it were my coach, & he closed his eyes every time I got the ball, I'm going to do everything I can to prove that he can trust me.

Maybe that is why Jacoby has stepped up his game so much he's out there playing for someone's approval. Maybe AJ, maybe Schaub, maybe all of the above.

It could be like you say, and it has a negative affect. maybe that's why Slaton can't hold onto the ball.

ObsiWan
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM

That wooshing sound was my point going over your head.
:D

The point is that we've heard all this before.

We have (at least I have) even said we understand where you're coming from and none of us are totally happy with the games that got away either.

Repeating the same points over and over ad nauseum isn't going to bring Bill Cowher into Houston. Not this year anyway. As I said, in some thread or another, there's really no use in us worrying about it because, at the end of the day, it's up to Bobby McNair. And he's made his decision.

You might have noticed that I didn't post a reply to any of the anti-Kubiak threads.
And for just the reason you stated.
*I've* said all that stuff before. There would be no point in me repeating my viewpoint either since I'm sure you know what it is.

Besides, I got what I wanted: One more year.

If he fails - and Fail = no playoffs - then he's out.
No more "excuses" as you call them. Even if Schaub, A.J., and Slaton all go down in preseason....

Then, just maybe, you get what you want....
Bill Cowher.
Looks like he'll still be available.

And, I'm beginning to think he's actually waiting for this particular job.
Seriously.

Think about it.
- Last year both the Jets and the Browns courted him heavily. From what I've read/heard the Browns said "name your price". He said "no dice". He wanted his own personnel guy with the Jets and they said "no" to that. Don't you think if he wanted that job, he could have worked around that?

- This year the Bills are all but begging him to take that team. So far, he's said, "thanks but no." (and I don't blame him)
- And I'm thinking that if Carolina thought they had a serious shot at landing him, they would have kicked Fox to the curb to snag him. They didn't.
- Now neither the Panthers nor the Texans gave their head men an outright extension. If that's not the "this is your last chance" signal from the owner, I don't know what is.

And, from what I've heard, Cowher wants a team with an established QB. He doesn't want to have to search for and then train one. I think he learned that lesson with Cordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell. Anyway, only the Houston job comes with an established QB, a young, rising defense, and talent at the key offensive positions.

I know all that's circumstantial but I'm thinking that Cowher's willing to wait for Kubiak (or possibly Fox) to miss the playoffs once again then he can step in and be the hero. McNair's no dummy. He's heard the outcries. If Kubiak misses the playoffs again, Cowher will be here before you can say 8-8.

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Kubiak makes it worse on himself by doing stupid things in response to his players not performing. He's searching for answers and outsmarting himself.

Great post. I agree.

To this point, what's his alternative? This team needs real leaders. & this year, I think every one of our leaders have evolved...

The best WR in the league got better with every passing week, & he just refused to quit.

Matt Schaub has expanded his game, & now makes things happen, when the play doesn't go as planned.

Demeco was as selfless as any player I've ever seen & he pushed "his little brother" all the way to the Pro-Bowl/DROY.

But I don't think he could have benched these players.... or undermind them in front of the team, when he was trying to foster an environment where they could be the leaders they need to be.

houstonspartan
01-07-2010, 04:08 AM
That wooshing sound was my point going over your head.
:D

The point is that we've heard all this before.

We have (at least I have) even said we understand where you're coming from and none of us are totally happy with the games that got away either.

Repeating the same points over and over ad nauseum isn't going to bring Bill Cowher into Houston. Not this year anyway. As I said, in some thread or another, there's really no use in us worrying about it because, at the end of the day, it's up to Bobby McNair. And he's made his decision.

You might have noticed that I didn't post a reply to any of the anti-Kubiak threads.
And for just the reason you stated.
*I've* said all that stuff before. There would be no point in me repeating my viewpoint either since I'm sure you know what it is.

Besides, I got what I wanted: One more year.

If he fails - and Fail = no playoffs - then he's out.
No more "excuses" as you call them. Even if Schaub, A.J., and Slaton all go down in preseason....

Then, just maybe, you get what you want....
Bill Cowher.
Looks like he'll still be available.

And, I'm beginning to think he's actually waiting for this particular job.
Seriously.

Think about it.
- Last year both the Jets and the Browns courted him heavily. From what I've read/heard the Browns said "name your price". He said "no dice". He wanted his own personnel guy with the Jets and they said "no" to that. Don't you think if he wanted that job, he could have worked around that?

- This year the Bills are all but begging him to take that team. So far, he's said, "thanks but no." (and I don't blame him)
- And I'm thinking that if Carolina thought they had a serious shot at landing him, they would have kicked Fox to the curb to snag him. They didn't.
- Now neither the Panthers nor the Texans gave their head men an outright extension. If that's not the "this is your last chance" signal from the owner, I don't know what is.

And, from what I've heard, Cowher wants a team with an established QB. He doesn't want to have to search for and then train one. I think he learned that lesson with Cordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell. Anyway, only the Houston job comes with an established QB, a young, rising defense, and talent at the key offensive positions.

I know all that's circumstantial but I'm thinking that Cowher's willing to wait for Kubiak (or possibly Fox) to miss the playoffs once again then he can step in and be the hero. McNair's no dummy. He's heard the outcries. If Kubiak misses the playoffs again, Cowher will be here before you can say 8-8.

Oh ****. I thought the same thing yesterday for about five seconds, but then put it out of my mind because I don't want to jump on the Cowher bandwagon and get my hopes up.

But, the truth is, my gut is telling me that he IS waiting for Houston. That's not wishful thinking, that's my honest gut feeling.