PDA

View Full Version : No CBA - Complete list of UFA's

barrett
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
If there is no CBA agreed upon before the start of free agency, the 4 year players who would normally become UFA's will remain RFA's. 6 year players will be UFA's. A 6th year player is kind of a wierd place to be because some of them have peaked and the ones that haven't are probably already locked up because of the obvious upside they possess.

These are the players at each position that will be unrestricted if we enter an uncapped year:

Quarterbacks

Charlie Batch, Kyle Boller, Mark Brunell, David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, A.J. Feeley, Rex Grossman, Josh McCown, Chad Pennington, Chris Redman, Brian St. Pierre.

Yep, that's it. Kyle Orton would be a restricted free agent (as would Jason Campbell). Orton could get an extension from the Broncos or the high tender placed on him; Campbell will likely be available for a draft pick. There isn't a surefire elite No. 2 QB on that list, much less a starter.

Running backs

But, hey, your team is already set at QB, given this golden era we're in at that position. Okay, understood. But youíre in the market for a running back. ... Well, Iíd suggest you draft one or make a trade.

Chris Brown, Kevin Faulk, Ahman Green, Verron Haynes, Edgerrin James, Willie Parker, Adrian Peterson (not that AP), Aaron Stecker, Chester Taylor.

Slim pickings. A few older third-down backs on the list and Larry Johnson and Tomlinson could well join this group come March, but even then, we're talking about nothing like a sure-fire franchise back.

Wide receivers

It's the same thing at wide receiver. Antonio Bryant is on the franchise tag and has been injury prone. Iím not sure the Bucs actually let him get to the market. Derrick Mason is still a starter at age 35, but the Ravens may well opt to keep him around before free agency begins. Terrell Owens had trouble getting more than one team to give him a big contract last offseason, and that was before his lost season in 2009. Other than that, it's guys who you could get on waivers.

Arnaz Battle, Marty Booker, Antonio Bryant, Nate Burleson, Tim Carter, Chris Chambers, Antonio Chatman, Terrance Copper, Bobby Engram, Brian Finneran, Mike Furrey, Greg Lewis, Brandon Lloyd, Derrick Mason, Shaun McDonald, Sean Morey, Muhsin Muhammad, Kassim Osgood, Terrell Owens, Josh Reed, David Tyree, Bobby Wade, Kevin Walter, Kelley Washington, Ernest Wilford.

Tight ends

The tight ends and fullbacks are lacking stars as well (not that there are too many star fullbacks around to begin with). Plenty of serviceable players but no one who is going to put executives and fans in a lather.

Anthony Becht, Dan Campbell, Alge Crumpler, Darnell Dinkins, Casey Fitzsimmons, Michael Gaines, Ben Hartsock, Will Heller, Reggie Kelly, David Martin, Randy McMichael, Billy Miller, Sean Ryan, L.J. Smith, Benjamin Watson, Kris Wilson, Todd Yoder.

Fullbacks

Justin Griffith, Jeremi Johnson, Dan Kreider, Brandon Manumaleuna, Tony Richardson, Terrelle Smith.

Tackles

Starting tackles get paid, but this bunch includes mostly guys who were already on the street looking for jobs last season and into this season, with Chad Clifton (suffering through an injury-plagued season) the lone real exception.

Chad Clifton, Mike Gandy, Brandon Gorin, Cornell Green, Artis Hicks, Jon Jansen, Levi Jones, Scott Kooistra, Damion McIntosh, Tony Pashos, Ephraim Salaam, Barry Sims, Mark Tauscher, Langston Walker, Mike Williams.

Guards

What if interior linemen are more your thing? Okay, here's all the guards and centers. Again, hard to find someone you can count on to be a solid starter at this point. Kevin Mawae is the stud of the bunch, but he's 38.

Eugene Amano, Jeremy Bridges, Damion Cook, Kynan Forney, Rex Hadnot, Ben Hamilton, Russ Hochstein, Montrae Holland, Stephen Neal, Chester Pitts, Tutan Reyes, Ryan Tucker, Keydrick Vincent, Bobbie Williams, Billy Yates.

Centers

Nick Leckey, Kevin Mawae, Seth McKinney, Dennis Norman, Wade Smith, John Wade.

Defensive ends

You have to go to the other side of the ball to find something resembling depth at a position. Defensive end has some intriguing names with Kyle Vanden Bosch and Julius Peppers among them (Peppers could get franchised again or extended, though). I would expect the Buccaneers to try to get Jimmy Wilkerson extended before March, and Adewale Ogunleye is still productive for the Bears. I also expect the perpetually heavy spending Raiders to throw a lot of money Richard Seymour's way to try to keep him off the market after trading a first-round pick for him.

Jason Babin, Alfonso Boone, Tyler Brayton, Phillip Daniels, Ryan Denney, Nick Eason, Dwan Edwards, Jarvis Green, James Hall, Reggie Hayward, Vonnie Holliday, Jevon Kearse, Travis Kirschke, Leonard Little, Adewale Ogunleye, Julius Peppers, Cory Redding, Richard Seymour, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Jimmy Wilkerson, Renaldo Wynn.

Defensive tackles

I donít know anyone in the league who doesn't expect the Patriots to franchise or extend Vince Wilfork, the cream of the defensive tackle crop. So we might as well take him off the list. The Steelers could opt to draft Casey Hampton's replacement rather than re-sign him, and he and Tank Johnson would have ample suitors as well. The strength of this free agent class is defensive linemen, but you're not going to see any Albert Haynesworth deals floating around.

Justin Bannan, Kendrick Clancy, Marques Douglas, Jason Ferguson, Aubrayo Franklin, Casey Hampton, Tank Johnson, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett, Fred Robbins, Bryan Robinson, Ian Scott, Kenny Smith, Hollis Thomas, Vince Wilfork, Jeff Zgonina.

Linebackers

Linebacker has a few stars, most notably Karlos Dansby. Again, I foresee the Cardinals getting a deal done with him and not just letting him walk. Aaron Kampman has not been a great fit as a 3-4 linebacker but could make an impact elsewhere.

Tully Banta-Cain, Bertrand Berry, Gary Brackett, Keith Bulluck, Derrick Burgess, Khary Campbell, Brandon Chillar, Vinny Ciurciu, Danny Clark, Angelo Crowell, Karlos Dansby, Chris Draft, Larry Foote, Ryan Fowler, Scott Fujita, Tony Gilbert, Nick Greisen, Larry Izzo, Aaron Kampman, Paris Lenon, D.D. Lewis, Darrell McClover, Chike Okeafor, Junior Seau, Jason Taylor, Chaun Thompson, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Jeremiah Trotter, Jeff Ulbrich, Mike Vrabel, Tracy White, Matt Wilhelm, Sam Williams, Jamie Winborn.

Cornerbacks

The defensive backs are not nearly as strong. Leigh Bodden has been a good fit with the Patriots and he's another guy who may receive a new deal from his current club. Dunta Robinson tried to get a guarantee from the Texans not to franchise him again. Most of the rest have been barely hanging on, and age is particularly critical at these positions. Many have been cut recently already, and are nickel guys at best.

Dre' Bly, Leigh Bodden, Ralph Brown, Demarcus Faggins, Travis Fisher, Nick Harper, Walt Harris, Anthony Henry, Roderick Hood, William James, Nate Jones, Ken Lucas, Hank Poteat, Keiwan Ratliff, Dunta Robinson, Allen Rossum, Benny Sapp, DeShea Townsend, Frank Walker, Dante Wesley, Brian Williams.

Safeties

Among the safeties, Ryan Clark is a heavy hitter who is having another strong year for the Steelers. He'd have options with several clubs. But with Tyrone Carter, the Steelers' quality third safety, also able to hit the market, Iíd expect the Steelers to keep one of them around. Jermaine Phillips would be a good addition to some teams, but the full list is not glamorous.

Will Allen, Mike Brown, Tyrone Carter, Ryan Clark, Nick Ferguson, Todd Johnson, Sean Jones, Kevin Kaesviharn, Ty Law, Marquand Manuel, Lawyer Milloy, Donnie Nickey, Jermaine Phillips, Pierson Prioleau, Mark Roman, Brian Russell, Bryan Scott, Darren Sharper, Matt Ware, Roy Williams.

Kickers

The list of kickers isn't bad, but no one is getting paid huge money from this group.

John Carney, Jay Feely, Shayne Graham, Sebastian Janikowski, Olindo Mare, Neil Rackers, Jeff Reed, Matt Stover.

The commentary on each group is from Jason La Canfora @ NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

50boys
01-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Sebastian Janikowski please. Doubt it but here's to wishing...

BigBull17
01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Um, Ill take Darren Sharper. Please...?

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Sebastian Janikowski please. Doubt it but here's to wishing...

I thought this too.... really he's the only one I felt was interesting

Seymour, Vanden Bosch, Wilfork, Franklin - these guys will be franchised

I really don't think free agency is gonna provide much for the Texans other than depth/role players... no Antonio Smith's this year

Goatcheese
01-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing one or two of Vince Wilfork, Aubrayo Franklin, Casey Hampton, Aaron Kampman, Neil Rackers, or Sebastian Janikowski.

Ndevine7
01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing one or two of Vince Wilfork, Aubrayo Franklin, Casey Hampton, Aaron Kampman, Neil Rackers, or Sebastian Janikowski.

Grabbing Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork would be a huge signing for this defense and possibly solve one of our problems

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Me neither but consider Demeco, OD, and Pollard are all creeping closer and closer to getting paid... we'll find ourselves right back in salary cap hell or we'll lose more than one of those 3 if we signed a big free agent this year

eriadoc
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM

No thanks to Rackers. He's another kicker that people think is better than he is. Big leg, little accuracy. He has a career percentage of 78.2%, with 6 of his 10 years under 76%.

Awesome year this year, though.

Ndevine7
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
No thanks to Rackers. He's another kicker that people think is better than he is. Big leg, little accuracy. He has a career percentage of 78.2%, with 6 of his 10 years under 76%.

He had that one year when he put up an insane amount of points and everyone thinks he is better then he is. Janokoski would be nice but i dont see it happening.

Goatcheese
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM

I'll take his 94.1% vs Brown's 70%.

El Tejano
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm all for bringing back Billy Miller!!!!!

Bring Back Billy!!! Bring Back Billy!!! Bring Back Billy!!!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10108000/10108059.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/&usg=__my_-KW2wmQHshWqgK34SK1LFmh0=&h=275&w=350&sz=25&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=PHKeJ71LNagrtM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBilly%2BMiller%2BTexans%26gbv%3D2%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG

mussop
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
If there is no CBA agreed upon before the start of free agency, the 4 year players who would normally become UFA's will remain RFA's. 6 year players will be UFA's. A 6th year player is kind of a wierd place to be because some of them have peaked and the ones that haven't are probably already locked up because of the obvious upside they possess.

These are the players at each position that will be unrestricted if we enter an uncapped year:

The commentary on each group is from Jason La Canfora @ NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81423860&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton, Should be our top priority but probably wont even get a look from us.

Keith Bulluck is 32 but I would love to see him playing alongside Cush and Ryans. We'll probably look at Chaun Thompson, Pisa Tinoisamoa type players for depth.

I believe therea are some TE names missing from that list. I'll have to check. I would make real sure to give this group a good look just in case OD's injury slows him down more than expected. There should be some pretty good bargains here.

Still cant figure out why we didnt sign Ty Law, or Lawyer Milloy last year to short term contracts. I believe they were both available. Either would of been better than trotting out Busing.

badboy
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Grabbing Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork would be a huge signing for this defense and possibly solve one of our problemsWhich problem? We have pretty much eliminated the run game with what we have. Okam may go but expect a lighter DT to replace him. Never thought I'd say that.

Ndevine7
01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Which problem? We have pretty much eliminated the run game with what we have. Okam may go but expect a lighter DT to replace him. Never thought I'd say that.
Our defensive tackles are underachieving dramatically and i think with the addition of one of these two or running defensive will improve as well as the passing defensive because the oline would need to focus more attention on our DT and less on Mario and Barwin and Smith

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10108000/10108059.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/&usg=__my_-KW2wmQHshWqgK34SK1LFmh0=&h=275&w=350&sz=25&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=PHKeJ71LNagrtM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3DBilly%2BMiller%2BTexans%26gbv%3D2%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG

GOOD LORD!!! I don't think I could contain myself!!:) Unfortunately, this will never happen. He's gettin OLD, and he's coming off a knee injury. Damn, I miss this dude, BUT, an OD he is NOT!!!

brakos82
01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10108000/10108059.jpg

1. Got rid of the extra crap in the URL.

2. Him and Janikowski please.

Malloy
01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Billie Vanilli!

Brandon420tx
01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I'd take a look at Karlos Dansby (wanted him last year), and Babin, yes that Babin. Also, I would be thrilled if we got Chester Taylor, In my opinion he's definately the best RB on that list

spurstexanstros
01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
As for qbs......bring back......nah I will let that one go...but you know who I am talking about......

Malloy
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
As for qbs......bring back......nah I will let that one go...but you know who I am talking about......

Can he kick a ball? :)

barrett
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Still cant figure out why we didnt sign Ty Law, or Lawyer Milloy last year to short term contracts. I believe they were both available. Either would of been better than trotting out Busing.

Did you notice 40 was only in for one series Sunday? They yanked him immediately or he got hurt. Russell played the rest of the game. Decent job too.

b0ng
01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Did you notice 40 was only in for one series Sunday? They yanked him immediately or he got hurt. Russell played the rest of the game. Decent job too.

Don't be fooled by Brian Russell that guy is straight up garbage. His stint with the Seahawks had fans wanting to hunt him down after games.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is if Brian Russell is starting for us in 2010 we screwed up somewhere very badly.

El Tejano
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I just want to get the campaign started. Bring Back Billy! Bring Back Billy!....

No More 8-8's
01-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Jason Babin anyone......i cant believe no team has picked him up yet.

brakos82
01-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Jason Babin anyone......i cant believe no team has picked him up yet.
I thought he was still in Seattle.

dalemurphy
01-07-2010, 03:57 PM

40 continued to play special teams... so, it wasn't an injury.

Goatcheese
01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
I thought he was still in Seattle.

He played 12 games with PHI this year.

brakos82
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
He played 12 games with PHI this year.

Tells ya how much I pay attention to him. LOL

Hookem Horns
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Babin has actually been pretty good in Philly. At least he was earlier in the season.

m5kwatts
01-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Babin has actually been pretty good in Philly. At least he was earlier in the season.

His preseason was dominant, probably because he was going against 2's and 3's. Ended up with 2.5 sacks on the year tho and stayed on the roster, more than I thought he was capable of.

leebigeztx
01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
The texans are finally close enough that vets don't have to be overpaid to go there. Of that list, my first choice would be wilfolk because he's a great player and 26yr of age. If i didn't get vince, casey would be a cheaper version who still plays at a high level. Ken Lucas would be a good vet to add if they let robinson walk. He's big and physical and a pretty good tackler. After that, I would just continueto build through the draft.

SAMURAITEXAN
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I think this is the year our FO should go aggresive after dominant DT and OG if available. To me, DT is the position that takes sometime to be good and I don't see any rook(2010 draft) that can contribute right away for us(Where we are drafting that is #19 or #20th spot). Although I would like for us go after FA for the above mentioned positions, I would be happy if we sign at least one of positions. Other than that like DB or RB, we should be able to find rooks(from draft) that can contribute.

Go Texans!!!