PDA

View Full Version : The Chris Meyers Argument

buddyboy
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I've seen a few people throughout the season whine and complain about how Chris Meyers was playing.

And I'll say this: Chris Meyers' play needs to improve, especially at the point of attack and in goalline situations.

HOWEVER, the question I want to ask is this: is it a knock on Kubiak that he kept Meyers as a starter? Was there REALLY a better option than Meyers? He played Caldwell for a while and I didn't see a marked improvement.

Time and time again people would complain about how Meyers wasn't replaced. My second question is this: Who would and could have realistically replaced Meyers and significantly improved the team?

Carr Bombed
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Meyers?

Chris Myers sucks, period end of discussion......and Kubiak and Co. get the blame for not finding a better option and allowing that guy be the starter here for the last 2 seasons. He's a back up, would be a excellent back up, but we need a starter.

buddyboy
01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Meyers?

Chris Myers sucks, period end of discussion......and Kubiak and Co. get the blame for not finding a better option and allowing that guy be the starter here for the last 2 seasons. He's a back up, would be a excellent back up, but we need a starter.

Ok, so your argument is Chris Meyers sucks and he should have found a better option.

Who? I'm honestly curious. What player out there in FA or on our team should we have gotten to play? I don't want just "Chris Meyers sucks" responses. I want an intelligent post with backup.

Carr Bombed
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Ok, so your argument is Chris Meyers sucks and he should have found a better option.

Who? I'm honestly curious. What player out there in FA or on our team should we have gotten to play? I don't want just "Chris Meyers sucks" responses. I want an intelligent post with backup.

It's not my job to do player personnel. There's plenty of places to find another center......teams do it every year. It's called FA and the draft. You might want to invest more than a 3rd round pick to address one of the weakest links on your football team.

and his name is not Meyers.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Matt Birk was a FA and has played extremely well for the Ravens this season.

ArlingtonTexan
01-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Myers' (not Meyers) mental and technical skills are fine, but he has legitimate physical limitations that keep in the bottom portion of starting centers in the NFL.

This is a nice way of saying that he has too many times where the NG/DT totally blows him off the line of scrimmage.

eriadoc
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
They never really gave Caldwell a shot at center. He's the type of center we need, but they were sold on Myers from the beginning because of the ZBS. Caldwell showed OK at RG, but that wasn't his position. So now he has some experience somewhere besides C, which is good, but I'd rather see the guy firing off the line in the middle.

thunderkyss
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
This is a nice way of saying that he has too many times where the NG/DT totally blows him off the line of scrimmage.

Bull ****.

Chris Myers is what he is. He isn't going to get any better & we've got players on this squad with more upside. I think he will, & should be replaced with Caldwell next season. I bet Caldwell will be the starting center going into training camp.

But it's not because he gets blown off the LOS with NG/DT, not even in short yardage situations.

Kubiak has his starting lineup. Brown, Studdard, Caldwell, White, & Winston, & we're going to see what Alex Gibbs has done every where else he's been.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Studdard better not be starting next season.

DexmanC
01-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Myers has had a signature play in each of the last two Texans' openers.
Ironically, it's both years he's been a starter for us, since replacing
Steve Mckinney.

Opening Day 2008:
In the redzone, Casey Hampton of the Steelers picks up
Chris Myers, and THROWS HIM into Steve Slaton.

Opening Day 2009:
Kris Jenkins of the Jets PIMPSLAPS Myers aside and
WALKS clean into Matt Schaub completely unabated.

We've had two clear signs that this kid needs to go. When
we need a tough yard, he's a liability. Between the 20's, he's
awesome.

DiehardChris
01-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Pimpslap is putting it kindly, LOL. That was like getting hit in the face with a brick. One of the funniest and saddest moments of the year.

It actually made me pine for a dominant NT more than a center, heh.

m5kwatts
01-05-2010, 02:13 AM
Myers may/will be replaced but Caldwell isn't the solution there, he's going to be a guard. He's worked mostly at guard since being a Texan and they clearly don't trust him snapping the ball for whatever reason, maybe he's not as keen to picking up blitzes as Myers, I don't know. But Caldwell's future is at right guard from the looks of things.

keyser
01-05-2010, 03:04 AM
As for alternatives to Myers, I'm pretty sure Unger was available in the 2nd round last year. My first round choice (Oher instead of Cushing) might not have been an ideal choice, but I'm pretty sure we would have been better off with Unger instead of Barwin (at least this year).

Corrosion
01-05-2010, 03:06 AM
I've seen a few people throughout the season whine and complain about how Chris Meyers was playing.

And I'll say this: Chris Meyers' play needs to improve, especially at the point of attack and in goalline situations.

HOWEVER, the question I want to ask is this: is it a knock on Kubiak that he kept Meyers as a starter? Was there REALLY a better option than Meyers? He played Caldwell for a while and I didn't see a marked improvement.

Time and time again people would complain about how Meyers wasn't replaced. My second question is this: Who would and could have realistically replaced Meyers and significantly improved the team?

Good centers are hard to find - I have been critical of Meyers' play especially over this last season but I dont think the Texans had a better option available.
The OL as a unit was pretty beat up over the course of the season with three of the five starters sustaining injuries at one point or another - Along with two TE's ending up with season ending injuries - Only Meyers and Winston escaped the injury bug. Thats a pretty tough pill for any team to swallow.

Pass blocking wasnt horrible statistically but Schaub took a lot of un-neccessary hits and was often hurried , Sack numbers were acceptable but I believe that is attributable more to Schaub getting rid of the ball quickly than to great protection. It could improve -

What hurt this offense most was the inability to get a push in short yardage situations. They didnt run block very well even when they had their starters and it starts in the middle. That has to improve next season for this team to take the next step. To be able to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows they want to do so.

Who better than Meyers ? I dont believe they had a better option available this season. They will have to address both C and G via draft or FA this offseason - Its almost mandatory that they improve the interior line play.

I havent gone over potential FA's or combed thru the numerous draft elegible players just yet so I have no answer as to who they could target. There are many underclassmen who could declare as well. Things will shake out over the next month or so and we can start looking at guy's to improve these vital needs.

As for alternatives to Myers, I'm pretty sure Unger was available in the 2nd round last year. My first round choice (Oher instead of Cushing) might not have been an ideal choice, but I'm pretty sure we would have been better off with Unger instead of Barwin (at least this year).

Hindsight is always 20/20 .... But it doesnt solve the problems this team has in the interior.

b0ng
01-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Last year would've been the year to draft a true C. Both Unger and Alex Mack have looked solid for their respective teams.

ATXtexanfan
01-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Myers has to be replaced by a FA. Don't see kubiak trusting a rookie in the opener. Unless we use a 1st rd pick on one and I don't see that happening either.

bckey
01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Last year would've been the year to draft a true C. Both Unger and Alex Mack have looked solid for their respective teams.

I was pimping Alex Mack all the way up to the draft. But I have to say I'm extremely happy with Cushing.

playa465
01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Opening Day 2009:
Kris Jenkins of the Jets PIMPSLAPS Myers aside and
WALKS clean into Matt Schaub completely unabated.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJ9lYyj4uQ

Can you imagine what a QB thinks when he sees a monster like that headed his way? Unfortunately we don't have a better option yet. Centers are extremely important to the line especially with blitz pickups and rookie centers tend to struggle with that aspect. But geez we have got to improve that position by any means necessary. Anyone know if there are any free agent centers hitting the market that are worth looking at?

TimeKiller
01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Myers is a competent pass blocker with a good command of the line.

{/Good things about Myers}

This team desperately, desperately needs some big, powerful, nasty interior lineman to pick up the run/short yardage game. Myers is none of those. He's never done anything impressive and gets railed for the 4 or so gigantic mistakes he's made in his time here. Maybe that's not fair, maybe dude just isn't a very good C.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 11:03 AM
They need to draft a big fat boy center and develop him.

John McClain has said on his blog that Myers has been playing with a high ankle sprain all year and that's been his problem.

I don't know much about that but that's just what he said.

Personally I think the guy is sub-par.

Hardcore Texan
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Chris Myers sucks. :runaway:

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 11:39 AM

I've defended Smith and Kubiak before, but there is no reason that they shouldn't have upgraded at the center position last offseason, so yes that is a knock on the coaches and F.O.. I would've called Steve McKinney out of retirement as an upgrade to Myers. Hell, I would get HOU-TEX to suit up.. I wouldn't mind Myers as a back-up or as depth, but starter? Hellz no!!

BTW, it's not whining and complaining. It's speaking the truth. Chris was manhandled.

50boys
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
They need to draft a big fat boy center and develop him.

John McClain has said on his blog that Myers has been playing with a high ankle sprain all year and that's been his problem.

I don't know much about that but that's just what he said.

Personally I think the guy is sub-par.

Myers fits Kubiak's out dated "scheme". He'll be back next year to get rag dolled by Jenkins again, as well as the the other massive NT where scheduled to face next year.

Mari-OWNED!
01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Kristofer O'Dowd from USC is a dominant Center that I would love to see in a Texans uniform. He has experience in a zone-blocking scheme, but there's no telling whether or not he declares for the 2010 draft. Obviously I hope he does.

badboy
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
It's on the coach, right or wrong. The ZBS we ran this season was heavily pass oriented which allowed Myers to utilize his strength of pass blocking and setting the line. The latter is a lot to ask a rookie to do, but it can be done. If Myers had a bit more size (285) he could hold up better. Some of those DTs cause problems for all centers not just Myers. I am drafting Thomas Austin Clemson 6'3" 315 lbs. He is rated as best center prospect and has started at LG. I have him in 5th but may go in 4th. Two things against Myers being removed as starter. 1) Like it or not Kubes thinks he can handle the position and no one, Caldwell or White beat him out. 2) Alex Gibbs may be gone and Coach will want to keep line together with minimal disruption. Also it is significant that the line improved as season went by and that is with both starting guards out.

Monday QBing: Unger taken by Seattle #17 second round may have been a good choice. Barwin warmed the coaches heart and has looked pretty good over all.

infantrycak
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
If Myers had a bit more size (285) he could hold up better.

You're saying he is under 285 lbs now? The Texans have him listed at 299 lbs and NFL.com has him at 295 lbs.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Who's the Jets center? Get one like that..that whole line was just manhandling the Bengals the other night..pushing them waaayyy back.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Who's the Jets center? Get one like that..that whole line was just manhandling the Bengals the other night..pushing them waaayyy back.

Nick Mangold. That's why he made the Pro Bowl last year and this year.

infantrycak
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM

1st rounder Nick Mangold taken 3 spots in front of DeMeco.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Nick Mangold. That's why he made the Pro Bowl last year and this year.

thanks Bill..I'm far too lazy to look it up and I knew you guys would know immediately.

anyway..wow he was a man the other night..just pushed the Cincy D guy around like he was nothing. Their whole line did.

The Pro Bowl stuff may be right sometimes..he looks like a great one to me.

Get one like him! :)

WWJD
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
1st rounder Nick Mangold taken 3 spots in front of DeMeco.

Thanks..

badboy
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
You're saying he is under 285 lbs now? The Texans have him listed at 299 lbs and NFL.com has him at 295 lbs.My understanding is he went up to almost 300 to not get pushed around but messed him up in pass blocking. He is prob in the 290 range.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
My understanding is he went up to almost 300 to not get pushed around but messed him up in pass blocking. He is prob in the 290 range.

It doesn't matter if he's 320 or 290, he plays small.

D-ReK
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
For those of you looking to bring in a FA to replace Myers, it won't be happening. According to KFFL (http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=OL&y=2010), there aren't any free agents centers available this offseason. That means that our options are to develop someone from within, like Caldwell, to take over the spot, sign an OG from somewhere else and try to transition him to center here like we did with Steve McKinney (which is probably not the best idea), or drafting one. I'm all for drafting a guy who has the ability to play all of the interior OL positions. Studdard and White are stop-gaps at best and there is no guarantee that Pitts and Brisiel (who probably should have been replaced even before his injury) will be the same players next year, and it's always best to have good, quality, versatile depth.

Norg
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Seeing myers get taken off his feet one handed by the Jets DT continues to haunt me ............

HOU-TEX
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I've defended Smith and Kubiak before, but there is no reason that they shouldn't have upgraded at the center position last offseason, so yes that is a knock on the coaches and F.O.. I would've called Steve McKinney out of retirement as an upgrade to Myers. Hell, I would get HOU-TEX to suit up.. I wouldn't mind Myers as a back-up or as depth, but starter? Hellz no!!

BTW, it's not whining and complaining. It's speaking the truth. Chris was manhandled.

Dude? I'm lucky to get out of bed every morning with as much surgery I've had from just playing through a couple years of College.

OTOH, it'd be nice to suit up again. I could get blasted into the backfield just as well as Myers. They'd have to hook me up to one of the cables on the overhead camera in order for me to get up after every play.