PDA

View Full Version : Belichick calls out the Texans field of play

Tailgate
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
While Bill Belichick wouldn't go so far as to blame the field conditions at Houston's Reliant Stadium on the serious knee injury suffered by receiver Wes Welker during Sunday's game against the Texans, the New England Patriots coach said on Monday that he had concerns about the quality of the natural grass field before the game.

"I thought it was terrible," Belichick said on Monday afternoon during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio 850 WEEI. "I really thought it was one of the worst fields I've seen."

Belichick said he had concerns about the playing surface after walking on the field before the game, saying certain areas seemed softer than others.

"I don't know what would have happened on another field," he said. "The quality of the field I thought was poor. I'm not saying it cost us the game, but at this level we ought to be able to play with consistency."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4796075

Heath Shuler
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Belichick rips turf at Texans stadium
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100104belichick_rips_turf_at_texans_stadium/srvc=home&position=also
In the wake of Wes Welkerís freak, non-contact injury yesterday, Patriots [team stats] coach Bill Belichick took a shot at the Reliant Stadium field today.

ďItís terrible,Ē Belichick said of the field. ďOne of the worst fields Iíve seen. For the level of play we have, I think consistency of field should be priority number one, when you talk about player safety and things like that. Player safety begins on the field.Ē

In his weekly interview on WEEI, Belichick pointed out that the field was spongy in some spots, wet in others, the trays of grass didnít match and there was low grass mixed in with high grass.

In discussing the dangers of such a field, he said, ďYou think itís going to grab and it gives; you think itís going to give and it grabs; and thatís where you get those non-contact injuries like what we saw Sunday.Ē

Texans_Chick
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I could see that.

Arian Foster slipped in around the same spot where Welker went down.

When they bring those trays in from outside on wet days, they can stay a little slick in spots. End of the season is an issue too, but I'm not sure it is as bad as he says though.

treduke
01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
i was just about to start this same thread!
pretty lame if you ask me first usa today tries to blame pollard now the hoodie is trying to blame the turf!
it was a unfortunate freak injury i know it sucks but stuff like this happens

alphajoker
01-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Wasn't there a bowl game played earlier in the week? I wonder if that contributed to the turf being in the condition it was in...

Tailgate
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Somebody brought it up in the coaches show on 610 and Kubiak had no idea... he seemed to be pretty surprised actually. He actually complimented the crew on the work they do in getting the field in game shape every week,etc.

treduke
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
yes the texas bowl was played there on new years eve!
it sucks that welker got hurt on a freak play but it is what it is reminds me of jammal anderson when he played the blue stars in dallas made a cut with no one near him and boom goes the dynamite!

DiehardChris
01-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Kubiak politely took exception with that comment. He said he thought the turf was fine.

Not exactly "eff you, Belichick" but about as close as GK will ever come.

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 06:36 PM
The field does start to look kind of funky at the end of the year. It kind of gets a wierd checkerboard look with squares of torn up grass mixed in with fresh tiles.

They need to replace the whole field after week 8 each season, instead of the patchwork they do now.

brosef
01-04-2010, 06:47 PM
quit whining hoody...

Corrosion
01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I could see that.

Arian Foster slipped in around the same spot where Welker went down.

When they bring those trays in from outside on wet days, they can stay a little slick in spots. End of the season is an issue too, but I'm not sure it is as bad as he says though.

Wasn't there a bowl game played earlier in the week? I wonder if that contributed to the turf being in the condition it was in...

I believe they have more than one "Field" - Those that were used for the bowl game were'nt likely used for the Sunday game.

AnthonyE
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I believe they have more than one "Field" - Those that were used for the bowl game were'nt likely used for the Sunday game.

You never really know though. I remember when Reliant would host numerous soccer events and the field would be all beat up with poorly erased soccer field paint marks.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
If you watch the teams up north playing at home , their playing on painted dirt and that's better ? I guess the worst I've seen is a couple of years ago when Miami played Pittsburg on MNF , I think they played with the leftovers from Ike coming down on them .

ATXtexanfan
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
blame has to be placed somewhere. here's to "homefield advantage". is this the first time someone raised hell about the field? they've been doing this for eight yrs.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
HOUSE OF PAIN IS BACK

http://www.cornettgrass.com/images/grasspicture.gif

False Start
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/3/19/128819592379707618.jpg

The Texans play 10 games a year there, and they aren't dropping like flies. Belichick is just b!tching, just to b!tch. It may not be perfect, but its not horrible.

Khari
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
belichick is just crabby

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Gilette Stadium's field is awful compared to Reliants

Besides don't they play on snow/ice in Foxborough like half the time? I would think that would be more conducive to non-contact injuries than a grass field

mexican_texan
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
There are always complaints about the field, especially towards the end of a season.

Mike Kerns
01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Sounds like he is just trying to cover his ass for losing an integral player in a meaningless game for his team.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Sounds like he is just trying to cover his ass for losing an integral player in a meaningless game for his team.

Your right , deflect the blame .

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Like when a teenager crashes their family car and comes home and blames the intersection

Pantherstang84
01-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Like when a teenager crashes their family car and comes home and blames the intersection

:lol: Yeah. Exactly like that. I'e heard the same from my son. "Dad, he just stopped for no reason, I had no where to go." Uh. Yeah. Sure.

Wolf
01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
send him a t-shirt but make them Texan colors and have the date changed to Jan 3,2010

http://justamemo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bernard-pollard-graphic.jpg

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 08:41 PM
This coming from a dude who intentionally had his field guys in Foxboro do as little maintenance as possible on a wet, snowy field in the playoffs a few years ago so as to slow down indy WR's?

He's just mad that his decision to play his starters in a meaningless game backfired on him big time.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Yet he had no problem playing Brady and Moss for nearly the entire game.

Bulluck53
01-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Gillette Stadium has Field Turf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FieldTurf) ; Belicheck is probably saying every field should be artificial in his rant.

m5kwatts
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Gillette Stadium has Field Turf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FieldTurf) ; Belicheck is probably saying every field should be artificial in his rant.

Its covered in snow and ice half the season though is my point.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Besides don't they play on snow/ice in Foxborough like half the time? I would think that would be more conducive to non-contact injuries than a grass field

I was just thinking the same thing. I've been to a game up there before. It's hard to believe that field is much better.

MEGA SWATT
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
What's his nuts blew his knee out trying to cross (over) his defender. Simply the luck of the draw when shifting directions so quickly like that. Turf is fine.

Bulluck53
01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Its covered in snow and ice half the season though is my point.

Gotcha, I quoted yours mainly because I think what Belicheck is saying is ludicrous for two reasons: He had to blame the injury on something, trying to divert whatever blame he would receive for playing Welker and wanting a uniform playing surface. That would reduce homefield advantage drastically.

Texans_Chick
01-04-2010, 10:43 PM
If Belichick thought the field was so awful, then why did he play his starters for as long as he did? Welker got hurt early in the game. He could have pulled his guys if he thought the field was a problem.

He didn't seem to have a problem with the field his Super Bowl year.

Wah diddy wah wah wah.

Welker dance->:bender:

(Okay, that was a joke in very poor taste. I feel bad for Mr. Welker, and thought Belichick's recent comments about Casserly were pretty dang funny).

arb729
01-04-2010, 11:06 PM
as some may know, i'm from the boston area. i was listening to this interview on my way from work, and it seemed to me that he just kind of made a back hand comment about the field, then the two ex pros who are often on that station made him explain what he meant more and he just went off on the field, otherwise completely unprovoked. His arrogance alone is the reason i am no longer a patriots fan.

mexican_texan
01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
as some may know, i'm from the boston area. i was listening to this interview on my way from work, and it seemed to me that he just kind of made a back hand comment about the field, then the two ex pros who are often on that station made him explain what he meant more and he just went off on the field, otherwise completely unprovoked. His arrogance alone is the reason i am no longer a patriots fan.
hey guy

arb729
01-04-2010, 11:10 PM
hey man .. this is like the twilight zone

Lucky
01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Bingo.
Yet he had no problem playing Brady and Moss for nearly the entire game.
Bango.
If Belichick thought the field was so awful, then why did he play his starters for as long as he did? Welker got hurt early in the game. He could have pulled his guys if he thought the field was a problem.
Bongo.

Don't have anything to add to that. Except, what did Hoody say about Crapperly?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't have anything to add to that. Except, what did Hoody say about Crapperly?

Belichick: "Who's been been wrong more than Charlie Casserly?"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 4, 2010 6:12 PM ET

You can't accuse Bill Belichick of being boring with the media anymore; he just needs the right target.

Last month, he happily took shots at some Carolina Panthers in defense of Randy Moss. Speaking Monday on WEEI, Belichick took aim at CBS analyst Charlie Casserly.

Belichick was asked about Casserly's report that Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist," Belichick said.

"He has no relationship to this team. I'd say less than zero. Based on what? He's never at a practice, never at a game," Belichick said before getting into a discussion of sports media practices in general.

"At least he put his name on it which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

Lucky
01-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Ouch! Feel the burn, Charley!

Rep to Hoody.

Hardcore Texan
01-05-2010, 08:07 AM
I have always been under the impression our field is in consistently good condition?

TimeKiller
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
1. **** Bill Belichick
2. **** Wes Welker's knee. If you pop multiple ligaments doing something low-stress like making a cut that thing was on it's way out anyway.
3. I've been to Gillete stadium in Foxboro. I've been on the field. It doesn't even look like grass.
4. I've been to Reliant stadium in Houston. I've been on the field. This is the first complaint in 8 years I've ever heard.
5. It's the end of the season, the grass is certainly not as green as it was for game 1.
6. **** the Patriots.

SheTexan
01-05-2010, 08:19 AM
BINGO on the Casserly comment!!

Malloy
01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
If Hoodie wanted to whine about a field, have a go at Buffalos, what a horrible piece of astro-turf (I think that's what they have there).

Bills have sooo many injuries this year.. and they killed our OD :/

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
From Bill Belicheat to Bill Belibitch.

You're whining?? Really??? F you!!! I hope you and your whiney little ***** Brady are one and done.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Quoted from the other thread:

From Bill Belicheat to Bill Belibitch.

You're whining?? Really??? F you!!! I hope you and your whiney little ***** Brady are one and done.

HOU-TEX
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Geez, at least we now know how Brady became so pussified.

Oh BTW, make the World a better place and punch a yankee in the face.

*No offense to our resident yankees*

BIG TORO
01-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Our field is fine, there are alot of fields in worse conditions! this is football not Ballet!!!!

Indy Skinnz
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Kelvin Hayden from the Colts hurt his knee last year when he "stepped in a hole" at Reliant. I am sure he was talking about seam between the trays. There is something to the BB complaints - maybe that tray system has to go?

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Kelvin Hayden from the Colts hurt his knee last year when he "stepped in a hole" at Reliant. I am sure he was talking about seam between the trays. There is something to the BB complaints - maybe that tray system has to go?

Kelvin who??

Norg
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
could it be anyworse then

The feild at greenbay

or hell even the feild in NE ????? LOL

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

In fact, just a couple of years ago the players around the league rated Reliant Stadium as the 4th best playing surface in the NFL. Funny, only Patriots and Colts bitching about the field. :thinking:

ChampionTexan
01-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I think that it was 100% deflection of criticism for the Welker injury.

In a weird sort of way, I think leaving Brady in for most of the game was kind of the same thing. If he'd taken Brady out right after Welker got hurt (and left him out as opposed to brining him back in the 2nd half), it would be admitting that his top playmakers shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Belichick has a built up a great deal of coaching cred (for lack of a better term), and he still has most of it, but I think this season he's used more than he's added back.

Pantherstang84
01-05-2010, 01:28 PM
In fact, just a couple of years ago the players around the league rated Reliant Stadium as the 4th best playing surface in the NFL. Funny, only Patriots and Colts bitching about the field. :thinking:

rep

El Tejano
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh ok Bill. Complain about our playing field because your playing field in December is so much safer right?

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh ok Bill. Complain about our playing field because your playing field in December is so much safer right?

:foottap: I'm on your side.

spurstexanstros
01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Belichick: "Who's been been wrong more than Charlie Casserly?"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 4, 2010 6:12 PM ET

You can't accuse Bill Belichick of being boring with the media anymore; he just needs the right target.

Last month, he happily took shots at some Carolina Panthers in defense of Randy Moss. Speaking Monday on WEEI, Belichick took aim at CBS analyst Charlie Casserly.

Belichick was asked about Casserly's report that Tom Brady was playing through three broken ribs.

"Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist," Belichick said.

"He has no relationship to this team. I'd say less than zero. Based on what? He's never at a practice, never at a game," Belichick said before getting into a discussion of sports media practices in general.

"At least he put his name on it which is more than a lot of guys. But, like he usually is, he was 100 percent wrong."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

Hey Bellichek...was Casserly wrong about Mario?
was Casserly wrong about Demeco Ryans ( you passed on him)
Was Casserly wrong about Owen Daniels ( you passed him too)
was Casserly wrong about Winston ( you passed on him as well)

4 players that could have helped your aging team but now are the core of our rising team....

As for the grass of the best stadium in the league...well maybe you need a closer look at the turf..or you can ask Brady because he spent alot of time on it.

Double Barrel
01-05-2010, 06:05 PM

4 players that could have helped your aging team but now are the core of our rising team....

You're not really defending Casserly, are you? :mcnugget:

Do we really need to compare Casserly's previous draft picks, 2002-2005? *cough*DavidCarr*cough*

And with regards to the 2006 draft, Kubiak was already hired, so who knows how much influence a lame-duck GM really was at the end of the day.

Might I remind you that Belichick has three rings in four seasons, all during Casserly's tenure as GM of the Texans. We never even made it to .500 during those years, so whatever mixed up paint-glue-sniffing logic that you're trying to prop Casserly over Belichick just seems strange to me.

No offense, bro', and I know you're just defending the hometown team, but Belicheck is wrong about Reliant's turf (excuse for losing Welker) and right about our former GM (truth, which is why Casserly has yet to work for another NFL team).

ObsiWan
01-06-2010, 02:44 AM

yeah, it's kinda tough for Foxborough sod to come loose since it's FROZEN!!

ObsiWan
01-06-2010, 02:46 AM

As for the grass of the best stadium in the league...well maybe you need a closer look at the turf..or you can ask Brady because he spent alot of time on it.

We should thank him for passing on those guys. Leave Bill HoodieChick alone, maybe he'll leave a few more pro bowlers for us to snag.

Wolf
01-16-2010, 07:07 PM
http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2010/01/wes_welker_bad_field_in_housto.html

Welker also backed up Bill Belichick's criticisms of the playing surface in Houston's Reliant Stadium, where Welker tore up his ACL and MCL when he slipped on the grass.

"I defintiely think it (the playing surface) played a big part. It's just very inconsistent."

Belichick had previously called Houston's field "one of the worst" in the NFL

SAMURAITEXAN
01-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Belichick comments aside, is our turf that bad? I do not wish any players being injured from turf. Hope, we look into turf condition just to make sure.

Go Texans!!

texansdrummer
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
These Squares of grass came form the exact same place as they did when the Patriots won the Superbowl in Houston. Oddly enough, I don't remember hearing any complaints then.....or EVER, for that matter. I've been on the field at Reliant on numerous occasions, as well as many other stadiums. Can't say that there's anything to complain about regarding Reliant. Of course, if I got injured on it, maybe I'd change my tune :)

It's so much more likely to experience this kind of injury on a synthetic surface. If anything, I'd hate on the turf in the practice bubble....that's an easy way to tear a knee.

Seriously, Bill - let's take a look at what it's like playing in the northern venues this time of year, eh?

You're pathetic.

Imatexanfan
01-20-2010, 04:31 AM
1. **** Bill Belichick
2. **** Wes Welker's knee. If you pop multiple ligaments doing something low-stress like making a cut that thing was on it's way out anyway.
3. I've been to Gillete stadium in Foxboro. I've been on the field. It doesn't even look like grass.
4. I've been to Reliant stadium in Houston. I've been on the field. This is the first complaint in 8 years I've ever heard.
5. It's the end of the season, the grass is certainly not as green as it was for game 1.
6. **** the Patriots.

Man I couldn't say it better...:fans:

Joe Texan
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Cheater Hoody can stuff a sock in it, How much better is he once he got caught cheating

GP
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Such hostility from all of you.

I'm rather impressed.