PDA

View Full Version : Dunta Wants Back...

MFG16
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
First off this is my first thread so here it goes..

The title pretty much says it all..also if mike shanahan gets a coaching job (most likely Washignton) Kyle will be joining him. so looks like a new OC.

Thoughts?

Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6797865.html

imatexan
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
We are weak at CB and could use him.

If he wants to return he better accept A LOT less money.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey guy,

Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your time here and become a active member. Lots of different viewpoints, but all good people around here.

Just as an fyi, there's already another Dunta thread started, so you may want to check that one out first.

Runner
01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Very magnanimous of him to be willing to play for the franchise tag (and its fat paycheck) again next year.

:rolleyes:

TheIronDuke
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Very magnanimous of him to be willing to play for the franchise tag (and its fat paycheck) again next year.

:rolleyes:

I know, what a jackass. Like we'd be stupid enough to offer his sorry ass that sort of money again. :lol:

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I want "back" too. Hehe

TEXANRED
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I hope DRob comes back. He is still better than 85 to 90% of the CB's out there. Not to mention he is the only real vet presence we have in the back end.

Our D really turned a corner this year. I would like to see us draft a FS, DT, and a CB cus you can never have to many.

Wolf
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
only if he takes a significant pay cut (which I doubt he will do)

64 tackles, 1 FF , o int , 9 pass defensed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=5535

False Start
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Yes he does (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68472&page=3)

Carr Bombed
01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I hope DRob comes back. He is still better than 85 to 90% of the CB's out there. Not to mention he is the only real vet presence we have in the back end.

So you think Dunta would be a sure fire starter on 28 other teams? I doubt that.

Dunta is "okay", but he's not even close to being a top player at his position, he wasn't even the best corner on his team. If he comes back for a drastically reduced salary, I'd take him.....if not, he can hit the road. It won't be that big of a loss

Ckw
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I realize this is a business. I won't take things personally like I did last offseason. I'd like to get a long-term deal, but I wouldn't be unhappy about it (if he's tagged again). I'm blessed. You can't be mad when you make $9 million.

:spit:

badboy
01-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I expect DR to be offered a long term deal with adjustment for how he was over paid this season. Maybe in 6-7 million first year. I hope he turns it down.

WWJD
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't think he's a bad guy at all but he had foot in the mouth disease this last year.

I think perhaps it was hard for him to accept that post surgery he wasn't going to be the excellent player he was before and he let his mouth get the best of him.

If they can sign him at a price that would work for the team you keep him.

mattieuk
01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
He could have made bank for a few years if he didn't mess around last offseason.

As it is, I don't want to pay much money for him, and sadly I think another team will still offer bigish money (not last offseason big money though!). We've got money to spend on more important free agents.

D-ReK
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I hope he comes back next year. I don't think he's a top flight CB, and definitely don't want us to pay him like he is one, but he is still better than what we have. I realize Quin looked better than him this year, but we've seen a couple rookie CBs look good, only to not live up to their initial seasons.

infantrycak
01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
He will play better next year on some team but he has always been a #2 CB. The Texans need to find someone to make him that #2 or #3 CB.

Double Barrel
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I'd love to sign him for a reasonable amount but bring in a #1 CB. D.Rob at #2 would be nice and it would keep his ego in check (maybe).

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
So you think Dunta would be a sure fire starter on 28 other teams? I doubt that.

Dunta is "okay", but he's not even close to being a top player at his position, he wasn't even the best corner on his team. If he comes back for a drastically reduced salary, I'd take him.....if not, he can hit the road. It won't be that big of a loss

There are 64 starting corner jobs in the NFL. I think Robinson has proven that he's an average #1 or a very good #2 who could compete for the #2 starting job on any team except the Eagles, and the #1 job on half the teams in the league.

Double Barrel
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Where are the stats for the best DBs in the NFL? I'm just curious how many of them have zero INTs for the season. I still can't believe D.Rob dropped one that hit him on the numbers. That had nothing to do with his injury, and everything to do with him not being as good as he thinks he is.

infantrycak
01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Where are the stats for the best DBs in the NFL? I'm just curious how many of them have zero INTs for the season. I still can't believe D.Rob dropped one that hit him on the numbers. That had nothing to do with his injury, and everything to do with him not being as good as he thinks he is.

He appears at 96th on this list - Link (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

Double Barrel
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
He appears at 96th on this list - Link (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

wow...thanks, man! His ranking is not too impressive, to be quite honest.

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 05:23 PM

He has a huge ego, but other than contract negotiations that's not really a bad thing. It takes a lot of confidence to stand on an island across from the best athletes in the world and say "You're not going to beat me".

Asomugha has 1 INT in each of the last 3 seasons, and had 0 INTs his first 3 years in the NFL. INTs are always nice, but they're not the top priority for a corner.

ChampionTexan
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
It's a bit amusing that a year ago at this time (pre-franchise tag, and pre-rejected multi-year deal), Dunta was being spoken of in similar terms to those we now see regarding Pollard (Heart and Soul of defense, catalyst to second half improvement, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda), and he's now nothing but a greedy, no-talent team cancer.

Don't know exactly how McNair, Kubiak, and Rick Smith view the situation, but something tells me that Dunta's value to this team lies somewhere between the two extremes we've seen over the past 12 months. Whether a deal will be worked out (and if so, whether it's before or after free agency begins) will be pretty interesting to watch.

Texan4Ever
01-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't want Dunta Robinson back. After his rookie season he has done nothing but regress. If a cornerback wants to get paid a lot of money he better shut opposing wide receivers down or grab some INTs, which he did none of this season so thanks but no thanks Dunta. Go pack your bags and vamoos! :evil:

Wolf
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
wow, revis was thrown at 106 times.. only allowed 37 percent caught

Double Barrel
01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
He has a huge ego, but other than contract negotiations that's not really a bad thing. It takes a lot of confidence to stand on an island across from the best athletes in the world and say "You're not going to beat me".

Asomugha has 1 INT in each of the last 3 seasons, and had 0 INTs his first 3 years in the NFL. INTs are always nice, but they're not the top priority for a corner.

Excellent point, and INTs are certainly not the 'be all' stat for DBs. I just can't help but replay that missed opportunity that hit him square on the numbers, and it was a lost opportunity that might have changed the momentum to win that game. (Wasn't that the Titans MNF game?)

I think most players/entertainers have huge egos, and I'm cool with that. My ego comment was more about how he sees and values himself. The team that drafted him offered a fantastic deal that he turned down and then pouted about. Then he finally comes to work, not ready to play, and does the shoe thing? That's the part of ego that has no positive benefit for the team, IMO. It's too inflated. Dude is not shutting down any receivers, so he should quit acting like he's one of those elite CBs. This is just my perception of him now, though.

It's a bit amusing that a year ago at this time (pre-franchise tag, and pre-rejected multi-year deal), Dunta was being spoken of in similar terms to those we now see regarding Pollard (Heart and Soul of defense, catalyst to second half improvement, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda), and he's now nothing but a greedy, no-talent team cancer.

The talk was somewhat justified at that point, but then getting offered a nice deal and refusing it and acting like a prima donna is what turned fans off to him. You cannot be a "team player" (i.e. AJ) and then pull D.Rob's little stunts. It is an either/or scenario, and each comes with it's own rewards/repercussions. The current perception by fans are based upon D.Rob's actions and words.

I tried to defend him for awhile last summer, but then it got to a point where there wasn't much to defend him with in the end.

ObsiWan
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I expect DR to be offered a long term deal with adjustment for how he was over paid this season. Maybe in 6-7 million first year. I hope he turns it down.

If he takes the kind of deal I believe you're thinking of, I want him back. Those comments by him tell me he realizes that he wasn't "all that" last season. And I think he'll take a per year pay cut for a 5-6 yr deal. Make the last two years option years, and I don't see any issue with keeping him.

He's not an Nnamdi Asomugha, but then no one else is either. And take a moment (try and turn off your resentment of his sillyness for a minute) to consider how much it would really cost to replace him with better talent.

Don't get me wrong. If we CAN upgrade, we should. I'm just not sure we can without leaving ourselves resource short; either in money needed to sign DeMeco or O.D.
Orrrr
being less one (or two, in the RFA case) picks needed to shore up another area in which we're worse off. ...like FS or DT or OG or #2 RB....

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
wow, revis was thrown at 106 times.. only allowed 37 percent caught

For some reason teams haven't figured out that he has really good ball skills. Once they figure out that throwing his way isn't working I think he'll be like Aso, only being thrown at when he's clearly beaten.

Revis 40 receptions for 409 yards
Aso 21 receptions for 246 yards

Wolf
01-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Don't know exactly how McNair, Kubiak, and Rick Smith view the situation, but something tells me that Dunta's value to this team lies somewhere between the two extremes we've seen over the past 12 months. Whether a deal will be worked out (and if so, whether it's before or after free agency begins) will be pretty interesting to watch.

true, I honestly viewed D-rob as the heart and soul on this team but I admit that I had nothing to compare him too (maybe Sharper) but after seeing Cushing and Pollard on defense , to quote a cheesy movie line,
Demeco would be the cooler -- "You are the bouncers(cush and pollard) , I am the cooler(demeco) . All you have to do is watch my back and each other's and take out the trash''

:joker:

seriously, I admit before the season started I wanted Dunta back, esp with Moulding,Reeves injured before the season and I haven't a clue what happened to Bennett. He rubbed me way wrong with the Pay me Rick thing.. was it a bad joke? yes, but I still have that bad taste in my mouth from that and his play did not do much help my feelings toward him as a player. Just seemed like for ever big hit he laid on someone, there was a P.I. call or bad coverage (big plays is what I am thinking about only)

I also admit for what he was getting paid, I was wanting a CB to shut some WR's down.. even though , like others said , he is just a good #2 CB

Wolf
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Excellent point, and INTs are certainly not the 'be all' stat for DBs. I just can't help but replay that missed opportunity that hit him square on the numbers, and it was a lost opportunity that might have changed the momentum to win that game. (Wasn't that the Titans MNF game?)

I think most players/entertainers have huge egos, and I'm cool with that. My ego comment was more about how he sees and values himself. The team that drafted him offered a fantastic deal that he turned down and then pouted about. Then he finally comes to work, not ready to play, and does the shoe thing? That's the part of ego that has no positive benefit for the team, IMO. It's too inflated. Dude is not shutting down any receivers, so he should quit acting like he's one of those elite CBs. This is just my perception of him now, though.

The talk was somewhat justified at that point, but then getting offered a nice deal and refusing it and acting like a prima donna is what turned fans off to him. You cannot be a "team player" (i.e. AJ) and then pull D.Rob's little stunts. It is an either/or scenario, and each comes with it's own rewards/repercussions. The current perception by fans are based upon D.Rob's actions and words.

I tried to defend him for awhile last summer, but then it got to a point where there wasn't much to defend him with in the end.

very true

.. and I was surprised at the link .. d-rob thrown at 72 times and 64 percent were caught .. maybe we play a lot more zone , I don't kno

ATXtexanfan
01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
was it just me or was he always giving up a catch for a first down. the missed pick vs ten was one thing. getting burnt by ginn in the dolphins game was a joke. thank god for that flag. did he ever make a play that shifted momentum. make a reasonable offer. hope he walks away.

Wolf
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
was it just me or was he always giving up a catch for a first down. the missed pick vs ten was one thing. getting burnt by ginn in the dolphins game was a joke. thank god for that flag. did he ever make a play that shifted momentum. make a reasonable offer. hope he walks away.

to me, all I recall is receiver catch it and Dunta would lay a hit, that was about it, just a step or two away, consistently

Lucky
01-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I still think that Dunta was a heck of a corner back in 2007, prior to his horrific knee injury. And I thought he played well in week 17. But, Bob McNair's $$$ can be better spent on other players this offseason.

Malloy
01-05-2010, 03:35 AM
This is how I would do it.

'Dunta, Ive got a contract ready for you'

'Yeah?, cool, lets hear it'

'Ok, it works like this: You'll get 2 mil as a base salary but here is the trick, for every INT, FF, Sack and Pass Defended you'll seen an increase of 200k ...'

'Hmmm... ok, so it's an incentive kinda deal, the better I play the more money I'll make?'

'Right Dunta, but there's more. For every tackle you wiff, we'll deduct 100k from your salary'

'So what you're telling me is that I'll be playing for free!?! fudge this... I'm calling Oakland'