PDA

View Full Version : Hold em or Fold em: Dunta Robinson

b0ng
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
So what do you guys think? I think he's gone after Free Agency this year even with his lack luster performance. He will demand boatloads of money and there will be some team who will give him that boat (I think).

What do you guys think?

TexanFan23
01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
He's gone and it's sad but it is what it is. He'll get a TON of cash on the open market and probably fail somewhere else. We need some new blood at CB.

mariowillshine15
01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
10 yard cushions can take a walk. He no longer is the corner he used to be before getting hurt.

He wants to get paid like that guy and not the one he is today.

sometexansfan
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Don't pay him Rick.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
If Dunta wanted to be paid like a middling CB would any of you change your mind?

TexanFan23
01-04-2010, 12:30 AM
If Dunta wanted to be paid like a middling CB would any of you change your mind?

For the right price I think it would be great to have him back but he won't take average pay to stay in Houston, He'll be 28 by the time the season starts and he'll be stupid to not atleast try for a huge payday.. What's the shelf life for a CB anyways ? Anyone know ?

b0ng
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
For the right price I think it would be great to have him back but he won't take average pay to stay in Houston, He'll be 28 by the time the season starts and he'll be stupid to not atleast try for a huge payday.. What's the shelf life for a CB anyways ? Anyone know ?

It's more dependent on how well the CB plays. If he's talented enough he could play forever, and I don't see that many CB's go right out of the league due to just breaking down as often as I see RB's do that.

Norg
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
This guy would make i think a hell of a FS or SS IMO it just screams at me or even a special teams player

But we got alot of contracts to pickup its not a perfect world we cant keep everybody ....and with that being said ....Its hurts me to say this our weakest part of the team is secondary this is someone we SHOULD pick up

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 12:45 AM
For the right price, i'd love to have him back, i just think he's gonna price himself out of range. With a little more pressure on the Qb (without blitzing as much) and a ball hawking FS to go along with Pollard I think he's solid.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 12:55 AM
This guy would make i think a hell of a FS or SS IMO it just screams at me or even a special teams player

This gets parroted a lot but I don't know why. He hasn't been much of a hitter this year, which is exactly what you would want in your SS position.

Marcus
01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Glover Quin was definitely a better CB than Dunta this season.

Enough said.

Carr Bombed
01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
He's gone and it's sad but it is what it is. He'll get a TON of cash on the open market and probably fail somewhere else. We need some new blood at CB.

LOL, he's not going to get a "ton of cash on the open market". Frankly the guy screwed himself and will most likely come crawling back (he should of taken the contract that we offered him, but I'm glad he didn't), most likely Houston is going to have the final say if he's here next year or not (since teams are NOT going to be beating down his door) and I hope they tell him to kick rocks.

Ryan82
01-04-2010, 01:03 AM
I say he stays but only as a nickel corner. Which I feel you would not find a better third string cb

Carr Bombed
01-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I say he stays but only as a nickel corner. Which I feel you would not find a better third string cb

Dunta's ego would never allow him to be a nickel corner......It would be a TO/Marshall situation if we even tried to press him in that role. The sad thing is, he wouldn't even be the best nickel corner on this team. McCain has that role sowed up.....a corner that still has burning speed and upside. Dunta is OVERRATED, he peeked during his rookie season and it's been downhill since.

RagingBull
01-04-2010, 01:13 AM
I would give him a similar contract to what Reeves is making.

TexanFan23
01-04-2010, 01:16 AM
LOL, he's not going to get a "ton of cash on the open market".

I'll bet he does.

Some team out there (Redskins, Raiders) will give him alot of cash in hopes that he'll turn back into a good CB, Will it happen ? I dunno but don't think he won't get paid.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Hey, a buddy of mine said earlier today that Dunta had more sacks than any other Texan this year. Do you guys know if that's true or not? I haven't had time to look it up. Dunta being our sack leader sounds like a bit of a stretch.

The guy has left a bad taste in my mouth. We have far too many key players to lock up to be spending money on someone who doesn't want to be here. If Dunta gets a huge payday somewhere else, good for him. But I don't want him here.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:32 AM
Hey, a buddy of mine said earlier today that Dunta had more sacks than any other Texan this year. Do you guys know if that's true or not? I haven't had time to look it up. Dunta being our sack leader sounds like a bit of a stretch.

The guy has left a bad taste in my mouth. We have far too many key players to lock up to be spending money on someone who doesn't want to be here. If Dunta gets a huge payday somewhere else, good for him. But I don't want him here.

Your friend doesn't know much about football.

brakos82
01-04-2010, 01:33 AM

If our best sack total is 0, I'm very disappointed.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/statistics?team=HOU

steelbtexan
01-04-2010, 01:35 AM
Resigning Dunta =NO

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
fold

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Your friend doesn't know much about football.

LOL. Yeah, when he said it, it made no sense. And, a few of us were like, "Huh?" And he repeated it. Maybe he had too much beer.

Ryan
01-04-2010, 04:03 AM
I'd be willing to bring him back if he solemnly swore and took an oath that he would never cover an opposing team's #1 WR ever again, and took a huge pay cut.

ATXtexanfan
01-04-2010, 04:21 AM
That money needs to be spent elsewhere.

TimeKiller
01-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Let him walk. Even if he wanted average CB money there is nothing worse than watching him 3-quarter ass his game.

kiwitexansfan
01-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I wanted him to be gone before this season and nothing has been achieved this year to make me change that view at all.

Bye Bye Dunta.

macho grande
01-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I think he's still pretty good in press coverage. It's when he gives cushions that I have my worries. Check the job that he did on Moss yesterday. Did an excellent job on Reggie Wayne also.

TexanBacker93
01-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Put any money he wants towards better use:

Sign Pollard
Sign Demeco
Sign OD

HJam72
01-04-2010, 08:55 AM
It's all about the price. Don't overpay him, and he needs to know that he is likely not even the best cover corner on this team. Maybe not even second on this team. Can he kick? LOL

TexanBacker93
01-04-2010, 08:55 AM

He does have as many sacks as everyone on the offense. He also has as many interceptions as most lineman and coaches.

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I think he's still pretty good in press coverage. It's when he gives cushions that I have my worries. Check the job that he did on Moss yesterday. Did an excellent job on Reggie Wayne also.

that makes too much sense...you know that! Some people are still hurt by the contract situation & just want to see him gone period. I mean they were just completely taken back that he had the gall as a player to actually ask for more money than he was worth.........Imagine that!

Hardcore Texan
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
LOL. Yeah, when he said it, it made no sense. And, a few of us were like, "Huh?" And he repeated it. Maybe he had too much beer.

He does lead the team in PI calls, I would assume so anyway based on my recollection.

Fold.

Thorn
01-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Put any money he wants towards better use:

Sign Pollard
Sign Demeco
Sign OD

This.

And I'll fold on this one.

nero THE zero
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I think they'll offer him a similar contract to the one they offered last year and I think he'll take it and everyone here will be really angry.

No More 8-8's
01-04-2010, 09:34 AM
i think he is gone, he didnt live up to his franchise tag this year, and pretty sure he had zero picks. He also had a HUUUUUUGEEE drop INT against the Titans this year.

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I think they'll offer him a similar contract to the one they offered last year and I think he'll take it and everyone here will be really angry.

I would be upset if they offered him the same contract. I didn't think he was worth that much in February, and he didn't do anything to change my mind this season.

5 years, $35-40 million, preferably backloaded with money he'll never see, is the upper limit of what I could stomach.

PHAROAH
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I know a lot people are not enamored with Duanta but he is our best corner and if we do allow him to the streets who will be his replacement a first round rookie? If CB Joe Haden - Florida fall to us in the middle of the 1st round then I say draft him which I doubt he will drop that far so again who is the replacement.

Goldensilence
01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
that makes too much sense...you know that! Some people are still hurt by the contract situation & just want to see him gone period. I mean they were just completely taken back that he had the gall as a player to actually ask for more money than he was worth.........Imagine that!

I don't think anyone would've had a problem had he not turned down a fair contract after a big injury. He then made an ass of himself with his Pay Me Rick shoe incident where most places he would've been suspended. He followed all of this up with a moderate to lack luster season.

I have the same feeling as I did when we started the season, thought he had proven himself to be the second best corner on the team after Reeves. The younger guys showed a lot more promise IMO though.

I think if Dunta can keep his ego in check and ask for a comparable contract to what he'll likely be playing as a third stringer he can stick around.

If not, don't let the door hit.

macho grande
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
But he is still, without question, our best CB. Quin was not covering #1s all season.

I guess I just still like the guy. He was the only one who had the balls to call out David Carr. He was the one that didn't shy away from contact. He was the one that busted his ass to get back on the field after a horrific injury. And he still is a good press coverage corner.

False Start
01-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, Dunta. :runaway:

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Like others have said, it'd have to be less money than he was offered. If not, let him feel out the league on his worth. Odds are, he'll be disappointed with his findings.

Either way, I think DB is a huge priority in the off-season. Whether it be CB or FS. I'd say it's currently more of a priority than DT.

False Start
01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Dunta says he wants to return, even if hes franchised.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6797865.html)

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 01:13 PM

I bet he'd love to get $12 mil. :pop:

False Start
01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
I bet he'd love to get $12 mil. :pop:

Yeah, I bet he feels like a dumbass now. :heh:

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM

LOL. I'm laughing at how humble the guy sounds now. He knows he had a crap year, and knows that he's no longer the leader on the team, and knows that a rookie and a free agent came in and took over.

Give me a break.

Good bye, Dunta.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
“I realize this is a business. I won't take things personally like I did last offseason.

:shocked Wha????

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Lol. Exactly. He's the victim now.

mariowillshine15
01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Lol. Exactly. He's the victim now.

More like he realizes he sucked this year and is raising the white flag and hoping to get a decent offer.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 02:06 PM
It's all lip service until he signs. I would want him taking no more than 4 or 5 million off the cap every year for 4 or 5 years.

Hardcore Texan
01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I see that c-y-a mode has already commenced.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 02:34 PM
More like he realizes he sucked this year and is raising the white flag and hoping to get a decent offer.

Yeah. Well, he can hope all he wants. Rick Smith has him by the gonads.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Yup! The dude's stuck like chuck now. I've said this many a time, but "you reap what you sew".

ATXtexanfan
01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Saying dunta is the best corner on this team is like saying myers is the best center on this team.

Pantherstang84
01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Yup! The dude's stuck like chuck now. I've said this many a time, but "you reap what you sew".

:lol: That's a good one. The guy pooped in his bed and now has to sleep in it.:bravo:

Ndevine7
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Saying dunta is the best corner on this team is like saying myers is the best center on this team.

idk about that quinn outplayed dunta at points this season

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
I bet Dunta would sign the deal they offered him last year .

Big Lou
01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

I would give him no more than Reeves, although that's overpaying. He is a good back up CB in my opinion.

I think we should get a CB high in the draft, but odds are they wouldn't start based on Kubes past with Rookies. Obviousley there have been exceptions, so unless it's a Blue Chip player probably wouldn't see much improvement. Also Free Agent CB's cost too much, so I'm glad I'm not GM, but this team needs one shut down CB and a better Free Safety.

Big Lou
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
If our best sack total is 0, I'm very disappointed.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/statistics?team=HOU

The only sacks Dunta got was sacks of cash from McNair!!!!!!

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM

I think both are debatable. :)

thunderkyss
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd be willing to bring him back if he solemnly swore and took an oath that he would never cover an opposing team's #1 WR ever again, and took a huge pay cut.

How many #1 receivers had big days against him this year?

:kitten:

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

The Fitz

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
The Fitz

2 receptions for 32 yards against Robinson.

imatexan
01-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Got 'em.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM

It was off the top of my head. There was a TD in the back of the EZ involved in one of those, no?

Yankee_In_TX
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Offer him what he is worth to the Texans (and not 'fair market value' which would include some team crazy desparate for a CB).

gtexan02
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Its difficult to quantify the yardage allowed by Dunta since he usually just held the WRs on big plays and got PI penalties.

Those aren't reflected in yardage

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
It was off the top of my head. There was a TD in the back of the EZ involved in one of those, no?

Yep.

VS Pollard 2 of 2 for 35 yards 1 TD
VS Robinson 2 of 3 for 32 yards 1 TD 1 PD
VS Reeves 1 of 1 for 12 yards

The Third Man
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM

That's my take. I think the vitriol towards him is a little out of proportion. He did a lot of good things for this franchise. You don't pay for past performance, but at a thin position if there is a reasonable deal here for him, I don't see why so many people automatically want to get rid of him.

Blake
01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I want him back. Obviously not for top 10 CB money though. There is no reason to lose him and be forced to draft another CB to TRY and replace him.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Yep.

VS Pollard 2 of 2 for 35 yards 1 TD
VS Robinson 2 of 3 for 32 yards 1 TD 1 PD
VS Reeves 1 of 1 for 12 yards

Yeah, I'm in the "bring him back for less" camp. He didn't have the type of season that would break the bank, so I think he can still help this team if he's willing to take a reasonable deal.

If Smith can work out a deal, fine. If not, and he leaves for the "big money" I'm ok with that too.

Goatcheese
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'm in the "bring him back for less" camp. He didn't have the type of season that would break the bank, so I think he can still help this team if he's willing to take a reasonable deal.

If Smith can work out a deal, fine. If not, and he leaves for the "big money" I'm ok with that too.

That's pretty much how I feel. Offer him what he's worth to you, and let him walk if he won't take it. Same way I felt last year.

thunderkyss
01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Its difficult to quantify the yardage allowed by Dunta since he usually just held the WRs on big plays and got PI penalties.

Those aren't reflected in yardage

So how many PIs did he have? I'm no DR fan but my biggest knock on him is that I didn't consider him a top cover corner. He's still no Revis. But I think he's been more than respectable. Better than I expected. I wouldn't have a problem with the Texans paying him top 5 money I would prefer they made him the 6th or 7th highest paid DB. If we could get that pass rush that has eluded us for 8 years he might truly be a top five Corner. If we get him a long term deal he might go back to throwing his body around like he used to

I know that's a lot of mights but it will cost us $11 million to tag him again. If he doesn't live up to the contract. We cut him. Remember he's played almost exclusively on the #1s this year.

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
So how many PIs did he have? I'm no DR fan but my biggest knock on him is that I didn't consider him a top cover corner. He's still no Revis. But I think he's been more than respectable. Better than I expected. I wouldn't have a problem with the Texans paying him top 5 money I would prefer they made him the 6th or 7th highest paid DB. If we could get that pass rush that has eluded us for 8 years he might truly be a top five Corner. If we get him a long term deal he might go back to throwing his body around like he used to

I know that's a lot of mights but it will cost us $11 million to tag him again. If he doesn't live up to the contract. We cut him. Remember he's played almost exclusively on the #1s this year.

I agree , there is no stud CB dropping down to 19/20 . I'd keep Dunta and look for a FS and a DT . With a healthy Mario and the rest of the troops playing the same way or getting better ... the defense will be really good .

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Everyone clamoring for Quinn to be a starter. The Patriots 3rd string WR was killing him yesterday. What do you guys think a team's no. 1 is gonna do to him?

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 10:18 PM
That's my take. I think the vitriol towards him is a little out of proportion. He did a lot of good things for this franchise. You don't pay for past performance, but at a thin position if there is a reasonable deal here for him, I don't see why so many people automatically want to get rid of him.

We were ready to pay him a TON of money for what he's done for this franchise. Money he didn't really deserve, quite frankly. But the bosses decided that, hey, Dunta's been a team leader, so let's give him a big payday, even though we're not sure he's over his injury yet.

Sorry, but this team has gone well beyond respecting Dunta for his past performance and leadership skills. We offered him $23 million in cash, and then he said no.

This year we have waaaaay too many people to sign than to worry about Dunta. We have players who are key members of this team that do not have contracts. They should be the priority.

I don't want him back, but if he comes back - IF - it shouldn't be for more than $2 or $3 million, MAX.

Ndevine7
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Everyone clamoring for Quinn to be a starter. The Patriots 3rd string WR was killing him yesterday. What do you guys think a team's no. 1 is gonna do to him?

Quinn is no where near a number 1 cb yet and idk if he ever will be. If we can get Dunta for cheap then i feel we have to do it because that shutdown cb wont be available in the draft at our spot

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:20 PM

The real question is how many of them were legit PI calls. We all saw how Reeves got flagged for essentially playing paddy cake with Garcon.

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Quinn is no where near a number 1 cb yet and idk if he ever will be. If we can get Dunta for cheap then i feel we have to do it because that shutdown cb wont be available in the draft at our spot

If he's on the field as a starter, he will see a team's no. 1 at some point b/c teams are very adept at moving their WR's around to create mismatches.

Ndevine7
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
If he's on the field as a starter, he will see a team's no. 1 at some point b/c teams are very adept at moving their WR's around to create mismatches.

I think quinn can be a solid number 2 cb but he will not be that shutdown cb that we can depend on to go single coverage on a number 1 wr.

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I think quinn can be a solid number 2 cb but he will not be that shutdown cb that we can depend on to go single coverage on a number 1 wr.

I don't think he can b/c he's too slow & he doesn't have the top end speed a cb needs. Dunta doesn't really have it either, but he's faster & quicker than Quinn.

Ndevine7
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't think he can b/c he's too slow & he doesn't have the top end speed a cb needs. Dunta doesn't really have it either, but he's faster & quicker than Quinn.

What r u suggesting? I am all for keeping Dunta for the right price. I think that unless we can get joe haden there is no point of drafting a cbin round one mb robinson from fsu in round 2

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
What r u suggesting? I am all for keeping Dunta for the right price. I think that unless we can get joe haden there is no point of drafting a cbin round one mb robinson from fsu in round 2

Keep Dunta (offer contract within reason) & Help the secondary as a whole by getting a ball hawk FS paired up with Pollard....continue to develop the pass rush.

If unable to keep Dunta, still draft the ball hawk FS, pick up a vet CB in FA &/or grab a prospect to develop later in the draft, Lindley, Robinson.

Ndevine7
01-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Keep Dunta (offer contract within reason) & Help the secondary as a whole by getting a ball hawk FS paired up with Pollard....continue to develop the pass rush.

If unable to keep Dunta, still draft the ball hawk FS, pick up a vet CB in FA &/or grab a prospect to develop later in the draft, Lindley, Robinson.

I couldnt agree with you more except i would possibly even draft Robinson or Lindley even if we keep Dunta cause who know how long hes gonna be here for

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I couldnt agree with you more except i would possibly even draft Robinson or Lindley even if we keep Dunta cause who know how long hes gonna be here for

Yeah but by all mock drafts i've seen, Lindley, Hayden &/or Robinson are gonna be off the board by mid to late 2nd round which means that if we're lucky, we'd get to get 2 really good secondary prospects.............IF we go secondary in the 1st & second which i don't see us doing. So if i had to choose which position to choose between (Cb or FS) i'm all for the safety b/c i think we have enough depth at cb even if dunta doesn't come back.

Texans_Chick
01-04-2010, 11:57 PM
The quote sheet from DR (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6003) was a pile of ridiculousness:

CB Dunta Robinson
(on reflecting on yesterday's game and the season) "It was a very special moment for us because it's never happened. It's the first time in franchise history that we've finished the year above .500. Like I said, it's a lot of mixed emotions, but I'm proud of the way we battled all year and I'm proud of the way we finished the season.

(on how he will approach the offseason) "I just do what I always do. I'll take a little time off and then get right back to work. We'll see what happens. Obviously, it's going to be a long offseason but a lot better than last offseason. Last year was my first time going through the whole free-agent process. It was my first time going through contract issues and all that stuff. The second time around, you want to handle things a little bit differently. You live and you learn. Hopefully things will work out and hopefully I'll be there."

(on how he will handle the contract negotiation differently) "Just not to take a lot of things personal, because you have to understand that it is a business. I think as cutthroat as it was this past season, I think you could sometimes let your emotions get in the way and get involved—just handle things a little bit differently. Second time around is always much better and I think things will be much better."

(on if his value has changed in any way) "I came into this season just wanting to play 16 games and show I could be healthy for an entire season. You come into the season coming off a severe injury like that, you come in not knowing what is going to happen. You play every game wondering what's going to happen this game. I have confidence now. I made it through 16 games. I feel good about the situation. I lined up against the best receiver every day, every week. Every Sunday, I lined up against the best receiver on the field. Not one receiver can say, ‘Man, when I played against the Houston Texans this year, I torched them.' Not one receiver can say that. The picks didn't come the way I wanted them to. But if you want a football player, then I'm your guy. It's not about getting interceptions. To me, it's about playing football and I'm a football player first, cornerback second. I like to get in there and get my nose dirty. I like to do all those things that other corners don't want to do."

(on if he is confident that he will be back next year) "I don't know what's going to happen. I know I would like to be back next year. That's something that we will have to sit down and discuss. Hopefully we can work something out."

(on what if the franchise tag is placed on him again) "I made nine million (dollars) this year. The tag will go up again next year. Of course you want a little bit of insurance but what can you say when you're making that many millions of dollars? You know what I mean? I wasn't too upset about it this year and I definitely wouldn't be too upset by it if it happens again."

A vet locker room might have helped him get real. Few players for the Texans went through this process because they've had so few players worth re-signing. He had some very bad bad advice.

AND that last quote is a big pile of stupid. He didn't report until the absolute last second because he wanted the Texans to agree not to franchise him in 2010. And now he says he wasn't too upset about it then and now???!!! He started the season very rusty, and that is all on him and it may have cost the team. But I suppose you never know the alternative history--he could have had a fluke injury in camp like Jacques Reeves.

It is so sad how he threw away his good will with the fanbase last year. It would take a lot to earn that back.

Good will test: As a fan, would you wear that player's jersey if you had any alternatives? My DR jersey is in retirement.

houstonspartan
01-05-2010, 12:26 AM
The quote sheet from DR (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6003) was a pile of ridiculousness:

A vet locker room might have helped him get real. Few players for the Texans went through this process because they've had so few players worth re-signing. He had some very bad bad advice.

AND that last quote is a big pile of stupid. He didn't report until the absolute last second because he wanted the Texans to agree not to franchise him in 2010. And now he says he wasn't too upset about it then and now???!!! He started the season very rusty, and that is all on him and it may have cost the team. But I suppose you never know the alternative history--he could have had a fluke injury in camp like Jacques Reeves.

It is so sad how he threw away his good will with the fanbase last year. It would take a lot to earn that back.

Good will test: As a fan, would you wear that player's jersey if you had any alternatives? My DR jersey is in retirement.

Agree with everything you've said. And, no, I would not wear a DR jersey if I had one.

What's really sad is that all of this could have been forgotten the minute he came to work. But, no. He just HAD to pull the "Pay me Rick" stunt (which will forever haunt him, btw). And THEN, when asked about it after, he nonchalantly said, "Well, that's why we're all here, isn't it?"

What a mess. Misstep after misstep. And as you pointed out, he's lost the fans.

I also think he was humbled by the fact that Pollard was able to step in and, essentially, become the leader of this team, let alone the defense. Suddenly, Pollard was on the radio, Pollard was getting quoted in the paper, Pollard was at the post-game press conferences. It had to have burned Dunta that Pollard was being asked to speak about the Texans defense as if he were in charge.

In addition to all of that, you have Brian Cushing, who, once he's no longer a rookie, will surely be more vocal and pushy in that locker room. Mark my words: Bernard Pollard and Brian Cushing will become the faces of this franchise. They will own this town.

Watching Dunta over the past nine months have been like watching a slow motion train wreck.

Mr teX
01-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Agree with everything you've said. And, no, I would not wear a DR jersey if I had one.

What's really sad is that all of this could have been forgotten the minute he came to work. But, no. He just HAD to pull the "Pay me Rick" stunt (which will forever haunt him, btw). And THEN, when asked about it after, he nonchalantly said, "Well, that's why we're all here, isn't it?"

What a mess. Misstep after misstep. And as you pointed out, he's lost the fans.

I also think he was humbled by the fact that Pollard was able to step in and, essentially, become the leader of this team, let alone the defense. Suddenly, Pollard was on the radio, Pollard was getting quoted in the paper, Pollard was at the post-game press conferences. It had to have burned Dunta that Pollard was being asked to speak about the Texans defense as if he were in charge.

In addition to all of that, you have Brian Cushing, who, once he's no longer a rookie, will surely be more vocal and pushy in that locker room. Mark my words: Bernard Pollard and Brian Cushing will become the faces of this franchise. They will own this town.

Watching Dunta over the past nine months have been like watching a slow motion train wreck.

You guys are so dramatic..The reality of is if he performs well & becomes even more of an integral part of this team, most fans will come right back. Who cares how much money he gets paid, put our best ball players on the field. If dunta wants to be part of it so be it, if not move along please.

houstonspartan
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
You guys are so dramatic..The reality of is if he performs well & becomes even more of an integral part of this team, most fans will come right back. Who cares how much money he gets paid, put our best ball players on the field. If dunta wants to be part of it so be it, if not move along please.

No, we're not being dramatic. Those things actually happened. He really did write "pay me rick on his shoes."

If we have Dunta back, it had better be at an extreme discount. We have far more pressing needs than a CB who doesn't really want to be here.

Double Barrel
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
No, we're not being dramatic. Those things actually happened. He really did write "pay me rick on his shoes."

If we have Dunta back, it had better be at an extreme discount. We have far more pressing needs than a CB who doesn't really want to be here.

Dunta Robinson: "Hopefully things will work out and hopefully I'll be there."

yeah, because people who don't want to be here say things like this.

I think he realizes his mistakes - both in not accepting last year's offer, as well as his massive ego that was clouding his judgment - and now he knows that this team has a lot of potential going into 2010. Admitting mistakes is a sign of maturity.

I've been critical of Robinson this past season, but if we can get him to sign a deal that's good for the Texans, then I have no problem with D.Rob on our team. The question we have to understand is who is available to the Texans this off-season that is as good as or better than him? We do not want to cut off our nose to spite our face. We need solid players.

HuttoKarl
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd be less surprised to sprout wings and fly to the moon than to see D-Rob on our roster next season.

PapaL
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Other positions need to be paid before DRob. I was in DRob's corner but his play was pretty crappy this year.

Ryans needs his money, end of story.
Pollard changed the secondary for us - pay him.
OD will probably end up in a DRob situation this year - it is what it is.

disaacks3
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I offer D-Rob "reasonable $" (we're talking a SMALLER deal than he was purportedly offered LAST year) and if he takes it, I'm happy to see him.

If NOT? Do NOT, under any circumstance (other than a plague that's hitting only NFL CBs) use the F-Tag again.

gtexan02
01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Since Christmas 2008, I told people that Dunta Robinson was ready to test the free agency markets because he was tired of playing on a losing team. I heard it from one of his rehab trainers

Now that we're showing signs of life and he belivees in the scheme, he suddenly wants to play here again.

I really don't believe this has so much to do with money.

He turned down that contract bc he didn't want to play for the Texans. We were losers in his opinion.

He's saying he'd be happy to be franchised again this year because, suddenly, he's playing for a winning organization.

houstonspartan
01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Since Christmas 2008, I told people that Dunta Robinson was ready to test the free agency markets because he was tired of playing on a losing team. I heard it from one of his rehab trainers

Now that we're showing signs of life and he belivees in the scheme, he suddenly wants to play here again.

I really don't believe this has so much to do with money.

He turned down that contract bc he didn't want to play for the Texans. We were losers in his opinion.

He's saying he'd be happy to be franchised again this year because, suddenly, he's playing for a winning organization.

Exactly. He's a punk.

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Hell, I volunteer to take the franchise tag this coming season.

OzzO
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah, but could you tackle air, make a couple of big hits a year and then celebrate immediately afterward? Or could you give the WR's a good cushion and occasionally get burned? Lastly, do you have the "past player ability" to make the offense think you're still that player?

badboy
01-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Good will test: As a fan, would you wear that player's jersey if you had any alternatives? My DR jersey is in retirement.Try trading DR jersey for a Rosenfels, but you may have to throw in a second round draft pick.

Goatcheese
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Kubes take on the D-Rob situation.

(on if CB Dunta Robinson is still a good fit with this football team, money aside) "Yeah, I think he did a heck of a job, but obviously we have many free agents on this team that we're going to have to deal with and make decisions on. Dunta came back. We put the tag on him and he missed all of training camp. We threw him out there from Week 1. The thing that I was impressed with was he got better each and every week. He was out there for his teammates every week. He might've played his best game yesterday. I thought he was very good in the game. Now, he's kind of back in the same situation, but we've got to make those decisions in a lot of areas. I don't know how many guys we've got that are free agents, but there are some very important players: (G) Chester Pitts, (WR) Kevin (Walter), and so we have a lot of work as a staff to make those decisions and try to keep everything in place."

(on if being uncapped will make it more likely to keep those guys) "That's hard for me to answer. I think it's a different world for me. (General manager) Rick (Smith) can answer that question better. It's my job to go in there and say, ‘This is what we need. Try to keep these guys.' As far as getting that done, that's their realm of the business."

Mr teX
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Exactly. He's a punk.

i hear what GT is saying but, it wasn't just Dunta's opinion that we were losers, it was actual fact. We haven't won didley poo & up until this year, hadn't even had a winning season.

All of that aside, what's so wrong with wanting to play for a winning team? Favre basically manuvered around the league for 2 years so that he could play for the Vikes b/c he knew he had a chance to win with them.

& enough with the cushion thing already. If you guys paid attention, you'd notice that the majority of the time Dunta is off 4-6 yards, our other cb is giving the same cushion. What does that tell you? more often than not, its probably part of the scheme/coaching & defensive play that's being called. What, you guys think that they just come out & arbitrarily pick how they line up against thier respective man? HELLO MCFLY!!

Joe Texan
01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Dude will get offered under 1,000,000

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Dude will get offered under 1,000,000

I disagree Joe. There are always teams that will overpay for cornerbacks. See Cortland "Fake-ass Irishman" Finnegan.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
i hear what GT is saying but, it wasn't just Dunta's opinion that we were losers, it was actual fact. We haven't won didley poo & up until this year, hadn't even had a winning season.

All of that aside, what's so wrong with wanting to play for a winning team? Favre basically manuvered around the league for 2 years so that he could play for the Vikes b/c he knew he had a chance to win with them.

& enough with the cushion thing already. If you guys paid attention, you'd notice that the majority of the time Dunta is off 4-6 yards, our other cb is giving the same cushion. What does that tell you? more often than not, its probably part of the scheme/coaching & defensive play that's being called. What, you guys think that they just come out & arbitrarily pick how they line up against thier respective man? HELLO MCFLY!!

Tex, no, there's nothing wrong with wanting to play for a winning team. I agree with you on that. And, you are correct: We WERE a losing team for so long. Any player would get sick of it. I'm not knocking Punkta for that.

The problem is, Punkta wasn't being upfront. He was saying he wanted to play here, and, yet, he was turning down $23 million in cash. If he had simply said, "Trade me" I would have respected him more. That's what he wanted.

So if he didn't want $23 million in cash, how much did he want? $50 million? $100 million? I'm serious. The guy was just not being upfront.

houstonspartan
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I disagree Joe. There are always teams that will overpay for cornerbacks. See Cortland "Fake-ass Irishman" Finnegan.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at work and just burst out laughing. Never heard that nickname before.

Texan_Bill
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at work and just burst out laughing. Never heard that nickname before.

Credit belongs to long time poster Shaft75. :D

thunderkyss
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM

What are they paying him?

I know it sucks he plays for a division rival, but he is one of the better cornerbacks in the league.

RagingBull
01-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Finnegan was like a 7th round draft pick. I suspect Bud is paying him league minimum.

wagonhed
01-07-2010, 05:49 AM
This is about the most idiotic move they could possibly make, so I'm pretty sure it's exactly what will happen.

Goatcheese
01-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Cortland Finnegan Defensive Back 8/15/2008: Signed a four-year, $16.8 million contract. The deal contains $8.5 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.15 million, 2010: $2.9 million, 2011: $3.293 million, 2012: Free Agent

wagonhed
01-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Some people early in this thread said they would be ok with him earning something like 5 mil a year. Are you kidding me!?

I think he is worth at absolute most 4 mil, and even that is really way too much. I think about 2.5-3 mil is what he deserves to stay on this team based on his play this year. I question whether he is even in the top 25 of #1 CBs anymore.

I try to think about the Patriots... how much would Belichick pay DR? Sure as hell wouldn't pay him 5+ mil.

Dread-Head
01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
He's a hell of a player and was the one shining point of the Texans defense when they HAD no defense. Keep him...I like his hair.

Pay Him RICK!

Texan_Bill
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Finnegan was like a 7th round draft pick. I suspect Bud is paying him league minimum.

This is about the most idiotic move they could possibly make, so I'm pretty sure it's exactly what will happen.

Cortland Finnegan Defensive Back 8/15/2008: Signed a four-year, $16.8 million contract. The deal contains $8.5 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.15 million, 2010: $2.9 million, 2011: $3.293 million, 2012: Free Agent

Goatcheese wins the cigar!!! That's a lot of money for someone who gets used at AJ's toilet paper.

badboy
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
He's a hell of a player and was the one shining point of the Texans defense when they HAD no defense. Keep him...I like his hair.

Pay Him RICK!His hair may be a hell of a player, but the rest of him is evaluated a bit less.

Joe Texan
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I am saying the Texans offer $700,000 for the year and let this guy go. He could not catch a cold in the arctic. He gets Burnt more than P-Burnt, in fact I am calling Him officially D-BURNT

HoustonFrog
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. McClain always seems to be watching some other team with other players

[Comment From david 1david 1: ]
hello does anyone else thinks its funny how robinson was pissed about the franchise tag at the start of season, but after a sub par year by him he is cool with it now
Tuesday January 12, 2010 11:14 david 1
11:14 John McClain: He's matured. He also didn't have a sub-par season. He covered the best receiver on every team. Tell me one who dominated him. All CBs, including Charles Woodson, get beat.

BigBull17
01-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I couldn't resist. McClain always seems to be watching some other team with other players

What a joke. Dunta got picked on this year, with a rookie opposite him. He had a horrible season, IMO. He may be better next year, cause knees take time, but he was not shut down.

HoustonFrog
01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
What a joke. Dunta got picked on this year, with a rookie opposite him. He had a horrible season, IMO. He may be better next year, cause knees take time, but he was not shut down.

Exactly...it is a joke even to put Charles Woodson in the same breath. I made the mistake of going through his chat and he answers the same question 15 times and avoids another 50%. The rest he just gives a homer view. Useless info.

BigBull17
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Exactly...it is a joke even to put Charles Woodson in the same breath. I made the mistake of going through his chat and he answers the same question 15 times and avoids another 50%. The rest he just gives a homer view. Useless info.

I really wanted us to make a run at Woodson when he was a FA. He is good.

b0ng
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah McClain is off the reservation with that one. I'll name one receiver that dominated him: LARRY FITZGERALD.

BigBull17
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah McClain is off the reservation with that one. I'll name one receiver that dominated him: LARRY FITZGERALD.

Kenny Britt.

silvrhand
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Don't forget the other unnamed player: "Referee with yellow flag, Pass Interference was their big play, again and again"

b0ng
01-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Kenny Britt.

Didn't Coles straight beat Dunta for a TD vs Cincy?

BigBull17
01-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Didn't Coles straight beat Dunta for a TD vs Cincy?

IDK. Ted Ginn ran by him like he was in mud. He also got bailed out by bad passes on Donnie Avery. Also know Austin Collie beat his ass while he was dancing after a tackle.

b0ng
01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
This is just a reminder that John McClain is more of a news source than he is a source of good analysis.

HoustonFrog
01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
This is just a reminder that John McClain is more of a news source than he is a source of good analysis.

Right. I quoted his chat one other day when he said that he had never heard and thought it was ludicrous that Kubiak had problems with time mangement/time outs or challenges. Just never seen it.

He should stick to stories.

Vinny
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

If someone doesn't give him his opinion, he's struggling. For all the football he has watched over the years he just doesn't have a good eye for the game. He's been consistently awful giving his football opinion off the top of his head year after year after year. When he repeats other sources, he is at his best.

HoustonFrog
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
If someone doesn't give him his opinion, he's struggling. For all the football he has watched over the years he just doesn't have a good eye for the game. He's been consistently awful giving his football opinion off the top of his head year after year after year. When he repeats other sources, he is at his best.

Right. Someone told him 2 years ago that we didn't have the secondary to blitz more. So for a year he just would sit there defending R. Smith and would call people ignorant and repeated the line about the secondary, etc. Then the last half of 2008 the D got more aggressive and starting blitzing and improved. Someone brought it up on the radio and he just acted like it never happened. As you said, he repeats what he is told without his own eyes and analysis but it comes off as fact and he has anecdotes to go with them. Years ago I really enjoyed his stories. In fact I hated 610 but only listened to get his NFL news. That stopped. I just can't listen to or read him much now because there is no real evaluation and he is really defensive when confronted with stats, etc. Nothing personal against him...this is just the second time I've seen him ignore some realities.

HuttoKarl
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM

He's got a great eye for polish sausage and cigarettes though.

No More 8-8's
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
He's got a great eye for polish sausage and cigarettes though.

Does he smoke cigarrettes?

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Fitzgerald totaled 6 rec. for 82 yards & 2 touches against the 2009 defensive player of the year last week.

what he did against Dunta? pretty much the same 5 rec. for 79 yds. & 2 touches & you can argue that the last TD wasn't on him since it came against cover 2 zone coverage.

Kenny Britt you say? a combined 6 rec. for 64 yards & 1 TD.

& don't even bring up Pass Interference calls when at least half of those are questionable at best.

& he's playing with a weak pass rush & alright safety play. Really, has our hatred of this guy gone so far that we can't acknowledge that he's been a solid cb for us?

BigBull17
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Fitzgerald totaled 6 rec. for 82 yards & 2 touches against the 2009 defensive player of the year last week.

what he did against Dunta? pretty much the same 5 rec. for 79 yds. & 2 touches & you can argue that the last TD wasn't on him since it came against cover 2 zone coverage.

& don't even bring up Pass Interference calls when at least half of those are questionable at best.

& he's playing with a weak pass rush & alright safety play. Really, has our hatred of this guy gone so far that we can't acknowledge that he's been a solid cb for us?

Kenny Britt was open almost at will. VY just tucked it and ran most of the time. JVille's shitty WR's also got open alot. He just wasn't a very good CB this year.

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Kenny Britt was open almost at will. VY just tucked it and ran most of the time. JVille's shitty WR's also got open alot. He just wasn't a very good CB this year.

come on dude, even a shitty qb like VY would've gotten the ball to Britt if he was wide open EVERY single play as you assert.

But since we know manning would've, reggie wayne didn't exactly light it up against him either. & again, considering our pass rush being weak & our safeties not exactly being ball hawks & the fact that he was playing the best WR's, you can't expect complete shutdown.

Revis is being regarded as a shutdown guy b/c he gets left on an island nearly every snap....but he has a great pass rush & good safeties.

With a better passer rush & safety play, i think dunta & reeves can be just as good.

b0ng
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM

This year he was not a solid CB. He also gave up huge plays to Mark Sanchez pre-Braylon Edwards. His "Pay Me Rick" stunt from the first game of the season was awe inspiring to say the least.

I am also not going to discount his penalties just because "PI calls are questionable". His cornerstone ability (his tackling) was lacking this year.

dalemurphy
01-12-2010, 04:22 PM

I think Dunta's play has been in decline since his rookie year. He's not bad. But, how many interceptions did he have this year? I know he was a horrid tackler this season. I'd gladly take him back but we'd better not pay him anywhere near the contract he was wanting last season.

HoustonFrog
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
come on dude, even a shitty qb like VY would've gotten the ball to Britt if he was wide open EVERY single play as you assert.

But since we know manning would've, reggie wayne didn't exactly light it up against him either. & again, considering our pass rush being weak & our safeties not exactly being ball hawks & the fact that he was playing the best WR's, you can't expect complete shutdown.

Revis is being regarded as a shutdown guy b/c he gets left on an island nearly every snap....but he has a great pass rush & good safeties.

With a better passer rush & safety play, i think dunta & reeves can be just as good.

Your opinion meant less after these statements. Come on. If that is all it took to make decent guys Revis-like then there wouldn't be just one.

This was all up to the Miami game but According to ProFootballFocus.com, Dunta was the 96th ranked cornerback in the league. 32 teams. 2 CBs on each team. 52 tackles, 43 solo(33rd for CB's),9 Passes defensed, 0 INT's/1 FF. Glover Quin had more tackles, more solo tackles, and the same amount of passes defensed as Dunta.

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
This year he was not a solid CB. He also gave up huge plays to Mark Sanchez pre-Braylon Edwards. His "Pay Me Rick" stunt from the first game of the season was awe inspiring to say the least.

I am also not going to discount his penalties just because "PI calls are questionable". His cornerstone ability (his tackling) was lacking this year.

Revis got 3 PI calls on him this past week. Does that all of sudden make him a terrible cb even though 2 of those were pretty much bogus? Also, what big plays in the jets game are you refering to b/c Sanchez's lone TD pass came on a coverage bust against Bennett & McCain.

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Your opinion meant less after these statements. Come on. If that is all it took to make decent guys Revis like then there wouldn't be just one.

Not saying Revis isn't good in his own right, I'm just saying he wouldn't be all "Revis Island" & crap without those key components around him. whether people want to acknowlege or not, those things enhance a cb greatly.

Any qb worth his weight in salt can find an open guy if given enough time...which is what qb's more often than not had when facing our defense....unless we blitzed.

El Tejano
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Can we sit there and honestly say that Dunta's PI calls weren't legit? Jacques Reeves had some bogus ones but Dunta's were pretty much legit man.

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Can we sit there and honestly say that Dunta's PI calls weren't legit? Jacques Reeves had some bogus ones but Dunta's were pretty much legit man.

If you go by the letter of the rule yes, but if you go there, Reeves' were all legit as well since he technically was "interfering" with that Colts WR when they were playing patty cake all the way down the field.

GP
01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Dunta get out of town. You dropped the soap now its time for us to cut the rope and help you find a new soap buddy so you can get more shower time.

silvrhand
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Revis got 3 PI calls on him this past week. Does that all of sudden make him a terrible cb even though 2 of those were pretty much bogus? Also, what big plays in the jets game are you refering to b/c Sanchez's lone TD pass came on a coverage bust against Bennett & McCain.

- missed tackles
- pass interference calls
- dropped pic in biggest game this year (MNF)
- oh yah a big fat 0 in interceptions.

While he played an good game against the receivers he didn't make the big plays that we need to come from someone pulling down 10 million a year, offer him 1.5-3M or let him walk.

Mr teX
01-12-2010, 09:30 PM
- missed tackles
- pass interference calls
- dropped pic in biggest game this year (MNF)
- oh yah a big fat 0 in interceptions.

While he played an good game against the receivers he didn't make the big plays that we need to come from someone pulling down 10 million a year, offer him 1.5-3M or let him walk.

ridiculous...

Carr Bombed
01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
ridiculous...

What's rediculous....Dunta's play or the post?

silvrhand
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
ridiculous...

Are you really going to argue that we should spend 10 million a year which is 9% of our total cap on one guy that didn't make a single game changing play all year long?

dalemurphy
01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
Are you really going to argue that we should spend 10 million a year which is 9% of our total cap on one guy that didn't make a single game changing play all year long?

if we franchise him again, he would get a 20% raise. So, the 2010 tag would be for $12 million! That being said, there is no cap. So, if they don't have a better option in FA, then Bob may be willing to do it anyway. I wouldn't though... I'd just adjust to life without him and take the 3rd round compensation when someone ponies up the money to sign him away.

thunderkyss
01-13-2010, 12:11 AM
if we franchise him again, he would get a 20% raise. So, the 2010 tag would be for $12 million! That being said, there is no cap. So, if they don't have a better option in FA, then Bob may be willing to do it anyway. I wouldn't though... I'd just adjust to life without him and take the 3rd round compensation when someone ponies up the money to sign him away.

I'm with you. but I would at least offer him Top 10 money. I can't remember what the contract details were rumored to be, but if we sign him to a 6 year contract with $23 mil gauranteed, that should bring his cap number down. It should be a fair offer.

I'm not sold that this team will not miss him next year. Not that he did a stellar job, but I haven't seen anyone perform better yet.

Like I said, if we offer him that deal, & he chooses to walk, let him walk. I'm not sold that this team would be worse off without him.

dalemurphy
01-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm with you. but I would at least offer him Top 10 money. I can't remember what the contract details were rumored to be, but if we sign him to a 6 year contract with $23 mil gauranteed, that should bring his cap number down. It should be a fair offer.

I'm not sold that this team will not miss him next year. Not that he did a stellar job, but I haven't seen anyone perform better yet.

Like I said, if we offer him that deal, & he chooses to walk, let him walk. I'm not sold that this team would be worse off without him.

But, my point is that we can have him for another season with zero cap impact... since there isn't going to be one. That happens if we franchise him. So, the question is whether Bob McNair would be willing to dish out those dollars if Rick Smith was uneasy signing him to a big contract that would impact the cap once there was one in 2011 or 2012.

thunderkyss
01-13-2010, 12:30 AM
But, my point is that we can have him for another season with zero cap impact... since there isn't going to be one. That happens if we franchise him. So, the question is whether Bob McNair would be willing to dish out those dollars if Rick Smith was uneasy signing him to a big contract that would impact the cap once there was one in 2011 or 2012.

So you're saying we pay him $12 million in 2010, and pay him $21 million for 2009 & 2010, then negotiate a long term deal & give him another $12 million dollar bonus prorated over 6 years in 2011?

I'm saying if they like him, lock him up now with the same $12 million bonus for 2010 and beyond. Then we're only paying him $9 million, plus the twelve for 7 years. I think he's proven what he set out to, and is worth signing to a long term deal.

Use the no cap year, to lock up OD, Demeco, Pollard and Walter.

Mr teX
01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

no..never said anything about spending 10 million to keep him but i do think he's worth more than many of you want to let on simply b/c you can't get over his asshat behavior. There's no question he's an asset to this team I think he showed that by what the opposing WR's were able to do against him this past year; how much of an asset is the question.

Certainly not 10 million dollars worth & certainly not 1-2 million like someone suggested earlier.

TexansBlood
01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Let him walk unless he is willing to take less than 8 million a yr...

dalemurphy
01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
So you're saying we pay him $12 million in 2010, and pay him $21 million for 2009 & 2010, then negotiate a long term deal & give him another $12 million dollar bonus prorated over 6 years in 2011?

I'm saying if they like him, lock him up now with the same $12 million bonus for 2010 and beyond. Then we're only paying him $9 million, plus the twelve for 7 years. I think he's proven what he set out to, and is worth signing to a long term deal.

Use the no cap year, to lock up OD, Demeco, Pollard and Walter.

I'm saying that since there is no cap next year but we are questionable at CB still, we can still franchise tag him (there's no cap for 2010)... Then, we can let him walk in 2011 after we've given ourselves adequate time to replace him. In that scenario, it is costly to McNair but not to the organization.

NBT
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
The yardstick for CB's is INT's I believe. Of which dRob had zilch. As for his ego, I think it has been deflated to say the least. He will find it difficult to find a contract for this next year that pays him half of what he got from us.

Ole Miss Texan
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I was originally firmly against having Dunta back. I thought we should just part ways after this season's shenanigans but wish him the best of luck elsewhere... just not here.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of keeping him though. This of course is all my opinion and I have nothing to base it on, but I kind of feel like Dunta understands his situation a little better now. He had an attitude and thought he was big stuff but had a lackluster year, the fans completely outcast him and he probably has an idea he's not going to get paid top 3 CB money. I think going from a fan favorite to being despised really hit him hard. I think, while he'd love to get paid big somewhere, he would be happy to stay here (while still getting paid pretty handsomely) and regain the fans' trust by acting better and playing better.

Dunta (like most every player) wants to have stability, a long term contract so his family knows where they're going to be living, so they don't have to move their kids from one school to another.

Like I said, I used to have the feeling that I would volunteer to go pack his bags, fill up his gas tank and send him on his way. But now I'm thinking if we could sign him to a "fair" deal then it would help the team. Otherwise we sign a FA CB to come in and start and we'd be paying him probably the same. CB's are gonna get overpaid, period. Whether its Dunta or another one. If we don't re-sign him, I think we're forced to go CB early in the draft.

I think we would have succes with a secondary of Dunta, Quin, Reeves, Pollard and Earl Thomas (no guarantee Thomas will be available).

HOU-TEX
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
The yardstick for CB's is INT's I believe. Of which dRob had zilch. As for his ego, I think it has been deflated to say the least. He will find it difficult to find a contract for this next year that pays him half of what he got from us.

If that were true that'd mean Nnamdi Asomugha sucked this year too by only having 1 Int. That would also mean Dunta was better than Asomugha in 08, considering Dunta had 2 picks to Asomugha's 1.

beerlover
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I think we would have succes with a secondary of Dunta, Quin, Reeves, Pollard and Earl Thomas (no guarantee Thomas will be available).

don't forget Brice :cool:

Mr teX
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
If that were true that'd mean Nnamdi Asomugha sucked this year too by only having 1 Int. That would also mean Dunta was better than Asomugha in 08, considering Dunta had 2 picks to Asomugha's 1.

pretty much..Int's are the glamour stat for cb's but in reality cb's depend on too much to do their job..much like qb's & you kind of have to look at them the same in that regard.

Yeah, a qb can throw tons of TD's but is he actually throwing downfield or is he just throwing screens & check downs & the WR's are adding YAC?

Yeah, a cb is playing shutdown, but is he really shutdown or is it b/c he doesn't have to cover very long b/c the pass rush is ridiculous.

TexCanada
01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I think its fairly simple: As of right now, we need DRob on this team. We simply don't have the depth to replace him at the moment. If we can pick up some talented depth through FA or the draft then he becomes expendable. It all depends on who we bring in in the off-season.

HuttoKarl
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Let him walk unless he is willing to take less than 8 million a yr...

He's not even worth that.

You shoulda stopped with "Let him walk."

DeMarCushPoll
01-14-2010, 04:39 PM
No one was more pissed off than I was about Dunta's attitude and how he handled everything last off season, but I have to say he didn't have as bad a season as many of you think. He was, for the first time in his career given the task of covering the opposing team's best receiver on every play. I think he did a pretty good job considering. I also think some people fail to realize the leadership he brings. I'm not saying they should back-up a truck full of money to his door step, but I think they should and will do everything within reason to keep him. From week four, this defense played extremely well together and I think he had allot to do with that.

JB
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
No one was more pissed off than I was about Dunta's attitude and how he handled everything last off season, but I have to say he didn't have as bad a season as many of you think. He was, for the first time in his career given the task of covering the opposing team's best receiver on every play. I think he did a pretty good job considering. I also think some people fail to realize the leadership he brings. I'm not saying they should back-up a truck full of money to his door step, but I think they should and will do everything within reason to keep him. From week four, this defense played extremely well together and I think he had allot to do with that.

Dunta may have played well at times, but if you think he played like a top 30 CB, then you were watching different games than I was.

thunderkyss
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM

I honestly had no respect for his play after last season. I never thought of him as a cover corner, & if he wasn't able to bring it like he had in years past, I didn't have any value for him at all.

I know he wasn't "shut down" but he played as well as most corners in this league. At worst, I would say he was better than avg.

If we can bring someone in for less money that we know has played as well or better, fine. Bring him in, & dump Dunta... If not, why are we talking about this?

But as far as his "leadership" this team has had leadership isues for a long time. Dunta has been a "leader" on this team for a long time. 1+1=2

I'm just saying, I wouldn't use that as an argument to keeping him.

Goatcheese
01-14-2010, 06:39 PM
"Useless" stats of the day: Among corners who played atleast 75% of the snaps D-Rob gave up the 8th fewest yards with 544, and the 5th lowest yards per reception (10.3).

This has been "Useless" stats of the day, brought to you by cliché remarks about "stats are for "loosers"!"

ATXtexanfan
01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
problem with dunta is he wants to get paid like an all pro which he is not. no game changing plays, no picks, no pro bowls, no yada yada yada. he is servicable but can be replaced. reeves was garbage at dallas but servicable here. we can find two or three players to add to the depth of this team for the money dunta wants.

disaacks3
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I think its fairly simple: As of right now, we need DRob on this team. We simply don't have the depth to replace him at the moment. If we can pick up some talented depth through FA or the draft then he becomes expendable. It all depends on who we bring in in the off-season.

Dunta may have played well at times, but if you think he played like a top 30 CB, then you were watching different games than I was.

I'm on-board with BOTH of these. He may be the best WE have, but he's NOT worth the (supposed) Gamble-type $ he was offered LAST year. Many of his efficiency % numbers this year are due to the improved defense around him and the utter incompetency of the opposing QB.

Just because the other QB couldn't hit the wide-open WR with least two steps on D-Rob during a fly route doesn't mean that Dunta did anything right that play. To suggest otherwise is playing fast & loose with the facts on the field of play.

thunderkyss
01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
.....but I kind of feel like Dunta understands his situation a little better now. He had an attitude and thought he was big stuff but had a lackluster year, ....

First, we need to define "lackluster" He didn't get a lot of INTs, & someone posted the stats showing how many yards he's given up... I don't remember more than three TDs given up by Dunta.

If Dunta was going to be trying to prove anything this year, I would bet he wanted to prove that he can be a cover corner... which you've got to agree at least to a point that he did.

We know he can hit.... we know he did in the past.

Dunta (like most every player) wants to have stability, a long term contract so his family knows where they're going to be living, so they don't have to move their kids from one school to another.

I think he wants that long term deal, with the big gauranteed money, so that he can play his game, and bring the wood like he used to.

Mr teX
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm on-board with BOTH of these. He may be the best WE have, but he's NOT worth the (supposed) Gamble-type $ he was offered LAST year. Many of his efficiency % numbers this year are due to the improved defense around him and the utter incompetency of the opposing QB.

Just because the other QB couldn't hit the wide-open WR with least two steps on D-Rob during a fly route doesn't mean that Dunta did anything right that play. To suggest otherwise is playing fast & loose with the facts on the field of play.

Dude, that was 1 play in the St. Louis game. You make it seem like that was 2-3 times every game which is just simply exagerating. Leon Hall & Jonathan Joseph are the 3rd & 6th rated cbs according profootballfocus.com, yet we all sat here & gleefully watched AJ rip both of them a collective new one in Cincy this past year. If you're playing cb you will be beat on occasion...moreso if you have to hold your guy for longer periods..........like our secondary.

disaacks3
01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Dude, that was 1 play in the St. Louis game. You make it seem like that was 2-3 times every game which is just simply exagerating. Leon Hall & Jonathan Joseph are the 3rd & 6th rated cbs according profootballfocus.com, yet we all sat here & gleefully watched AJ rip both of them a collective new one in Cincy this past year. If you're playing cb you will be beat on occasion...moreso if you have to hold your guy for longer periods..........like our secondary. If you think there was only ONE play in ONE game that met those criteria, you aren't watching the same games I am.

Side Note: Despite whatever contractual issues it may have caused for next season, I really wanted Dunta to return to pre-injury form this year. I always loved his passion and the VERY big hits he delivers. The only part that was there this year was the hits. His tackling was BAD (by his own admission) and his coverage was "average" at best. Any good CB should be able to keep his guy in front of him when giving up a big cushion. Starting with the Jets and ending with the Pats, Dunta was simply not the cover corner he USED to be. I'd love to keep him for the hitting / leadership, but if he's demanding even top 10-15 $$ -the Texans need to let him walk.