PDA

View Full Version : Texans to pick up option on Matt Schaub's contract

J_R
01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Texans owner Bob McNair just confirmed that the team will be picking up QB Matt Schaub's $10m option bonus in the offseason

Via Nick Scurfield's twitter.

Pantherstang84
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Would be stupid not to.

Runner
01-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I wonder if Schaub thinks that is enough after a full season of playing at an elite level...

GuerillaBlack
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I wonder if Schaub thinks that is enough after a full season of playing at an elite level...

He better think it is. One season is not enough.

mariowillshine15
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
According to Jerome Solomon Schaub has the 6th most passing yards in a season all-time (4,770).

That's the guy we traded for.

Pantherstang84
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
According to Jerome Solomon Schaub has the 6th most passing yards in a season all-time.

but man we gave up too much for a backup QB.

:sarcasm:

Lucky
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
This was a no brainer. The Texans need more no brainer decisions.

TexanFan23
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Hopefully they will strike up a more cap-friendly deal during the offseason, I know there's no cap for 2010 but hopefully, eventually, there will be again in the near future...

Although... The Texans would be the big fish in the division with no cap, being the 4th largest city competeing against Jacksonville, Nashville, and Indianapolis, Maybe no cap would be a great thing :D

PHAROAH
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
We would be crazy not pick up his option and to me this is a non-issue he is our franchise QB.

Goldensilence
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Hopefully they will strike up a more cap-friendly deal during the offseason, I know there's no cap for 2010 but hopefully, eventually, there will be again in the near future...

Although... The Texans would be the big fish in the division with no cap, being the 4th largest city competeing against Jacksonville, Nashville, and Indianapolis, Maybe no cap would be a great thing :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808100

Actually the deal as it stands now is pretty cap friendly. I don't know how the 10 million bonus affects the Salary cap though.

I know some people knee jerked on the contract initially but after reading it then I thought the three year out was a smart idea back then and it still is now. I might have questioned some of the moves made by Gary and Rick but, from day one I thought it was a smart move, at least relating to the way it was structured.

Matt's had an outstanding year, let's just all hope he can back it up with a similar one next year. Funny how a year can change things ,we all knew Matt really had to step up this year and he's done so.

TexanFan23
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2808100

Actually the deal as it stands now is pretty cap friendly. I don't know how the 10 million bonus affects the Salary cap though.

I know some people knee jerked on the contract initially but after reading it then I thought the three year out was a smart idea back then and it still is now. I might have questioned some of the moves made by Gary and Rick but, from day one I thought it was a smart move, at least relating to the way it was structured.

Matt's had an outstanding year, let's just all hope he can back it up with a similar one next year. Funny how a year can change things ,we all knew Matt really had to step up this year and he's done so.

Good read, Thanks for posting the link.

Agree 100% on Schaub.

steelbtexan
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM

I agree with you about being the big fish in a small pond.

It remains to be seen if Uncle BoB will spend the money?

b0ng
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I agree with you about being the big fish in a small pond.

It remains to be seen if Uncle BoB will spend the money?

Free Agency restrictions are going to be much more stringent this off-season. He may want to spend the money, but I can only hope it's not foolishly for whatever is available, rather than quality.

TexanFan23
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Free Agency restrictions are going to be much more stringent this off-season. He may want to spend the money, but I can only hope it's not foolishly for whatever is available, rather than quality.

Yeah the last thing we want to do is turn into Washington south..

Jackie Chiles
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
According to Jerome Solomon Schaub has the 6th most passing yards in a season all-time (4,770).

Too bad he couldn't get to some pretty round number like 2,000 is, he might have gotten some serious recognition. I think CJ had the 5th highest rushing total for a RB for reference. Only two QBs have topped 5K.

Hookem Horns
01-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Does this must mean we are not drafting Colt? :kitten:

Vinny
01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I bet this works out better than the last time McNair decided to pick up the option on his "Franchise" QB.

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:09 AM

I'm ready for Richard Justice to call that the biggest tragedy ever if McCoy wins against 'bama this week.

ObsiWan
01-04-2010, 01:12 AM

What round do you think, realistically, Colt will go in?

Hookem Horns
01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
What round do you think, realistically, Colt will go in?

Right now I say 3rd round. However ask me again after the BCS Championship game. I think we all know how that one game can affect everyone's opinion of a player.

Corrosion
01-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Right now I say 3rd round. However ask me again after the BCS Championship game. I think we all know how that one game can affect everyone's opinion of a player.

I pretty much agree with that assessment - 3rd to 4th round. I dont think the Title game will have a huge efect upon his draft position - He's not quite ready for the NFL game and would really benifit from sitting behind a veteran for a couple seasons.

(comes from another UT homer).

b0ng
01-04-2010, 01:33 AM
I pretty much agree with that assessment - 3rd to 4th round. I dont think the Title game will have a huge efect upon his draft position - He's not quite ready for the NFL game and would really benifit from sitting behind a veteran for a couple seasons.

If Colt McCoy single-handedly wins you better believe it will shoot his draft position up up and away.

Hookem Horns
01-04-2010, 01:33 AM

If the Texans could pick him up in a later round I would be all for it. It would be nice to have a young guy being groomed in the back up roll like we had with Cody Carlson, instead of a washed up vet that we know sucks.

GuerillaBlack
01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Third to fourth round, but if he has a monster title game, second round.