PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Bob makes it official on 610

Pantherstang84
01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Take your pink soap down. He just said it on the air.

HJam72
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I assume he said Kubiak stays...?

Pantherstang84
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I assume he said Kubiak stays...?

Yep.

Thorn
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
One way or the other, the sooner the better is always good for these decisions.

Now draft a frigging RB in the upper rounds for God's sake!

HoustonFrog
01-03-2010, 03:29 PM
That's fine. At 9-7, as someone that wanted him gone, I'll give him another year. I'll be upset if I see an extension. Just see if the team can make the jump. There are no more excuses.

rollinstone18

you weren't impressed with foster?

Pantherstang84

and a kicker! Sorry KB you should have walked away man instead of embarrassing yourself.

Goatcheese

People called me crazy for saying we should use a high pick on a RB last year.

:rake:

DexmanC
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
That's fine. At 9-7, as someone that wanted him gone, I'll give him another year. I'll be upset if I see an extension. Just see if the team can make the jump. There are no more excuses.

Co-sign

HJam72
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I think with Foster and Slaton at 10 lbs. lighter, I'd rather spend that pick on something else, like: FS, Center, monster NT, CB if need be.

houstonhurricane
01-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Winning three out of four should have Kubes back next year...but not worthy of an extension. The team has all of the leverage - it isn't like we are competing against another club for Kubes' head coaching services...

redwhiteANDblue
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I think with Foster and Slaton at 10 lbs. lighter, I'd rather spend that pick on something else, like: FS, Center, monster NT, CB if need be.

Foster picking up some pounds would do good. He pounds the ball in the holes and might help our short yardage situations

Pantherstang84
01-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Foster picking up some pounds would do good. He pounds the ball in the holes and might help our short yardage situations

Wouldn't want to compromise his straight line speed though.

Thorn
01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
you weren't impressed with foster?

Yes, he was good today. We still need an franchise RB, CB, and some linemen on both sides. While that's to much to ask for in one offseason, I still say RB and CB are at the top of our list.

Foster was good today. I'm proud of him. Can;'t take nothing away from him. But he wasn't an undrafted rookie for nothing. Slaton, healthy, is still better and Slaton ain't the best we can do.

Vinny
01-03-2010, 03:35 PM
you weren't impressed with foster?Good thing we saved him for this!

Take your pink soap down. He just said it on the air.
like anyone is shocked.

Showtime100
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
OK, he's in and now has my support. I hope we can move on from the debate personally. What can I do but root for the "new" HC of my team? I'm a Texan.

:fans: :texan: :fans:

BigTimeTexanFan
01-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Oh, it need be.

Malloy
01-03-2010, 03:39 PM

We're still calling you crazy mate, but for different reasons :)

Hardcore Texan
01-03-2010, 03:39 PM

This.

eriadoc
01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm happy for Kubiak. I don't personally think we should have kept him, but I like the guy and want him to succeed. And since he's the HC for another year, I really want him to succeed.

Pink soap gone until the next Chris Brown HB pass, or until they keep Kris Brown next year. I'm kind of tired of what Brown can do for me.

Hookem Horns
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Hopefully Kubiak will improve himself. I would like to see him be more intense, passionate and more of a butt kicker.

b0ng
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Second Honeymoon suicide watch.

eriadoc
01-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Hopefully Kubiak will improve himself. I would like to see him be more intense, passionate and more of a butt kicker.

*insert animated gif of Kubiak yelling "That's BS!"*

I'd just like to see him win. I don't care if he's fiery and passionate. He can be Tony Dungy for all I care.

gary
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Eveyone knows I wanted Gary fired but I have to hand to the guy. One more year it is. Great job coach.

GP
01-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I liked he didn't watch the 4th down play.

I mean, seriously, Gary Kubiak? Seriously?!

I guess it'll be his signature "move" when things get heavy at the end of an important game.

The TV commentators will say "There's Gary Kubiak. He has a habit of not watching the important plays. (TV guys chuckle to themselves, camera cuts back and forth from the play to Kubiak over and over).

That's our guy. Mr. Incontinence.

imatexan
01-03-2010, 04:25 PM
He deserves it.

Woo no more pink soap!

PapaL
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
I hope when Bob was hugging Kris Brown he was telling him to GTFO.

Give me a S to go with Pollard, a CB and some big uglies!

Showtime100
01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I hope when Bob was hugging Kris Brown he was telling him to GTFO.

Give a S to go with Pollard, a CB and some big uglies!

I still wonder who hugged who....lol.

Lucky
01-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I heard McNair say that Kubiak would be back. That's no surprise, after the comeback. Regarding an extension, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I might start a thread on this later, to explain why I feel that way. If someone doesn't beat me to it. I just think there are too many negatives in allowing a coach to enter a lame duck season.

I thought this was supposed to be the season of no more excuses? A couple of upsets today and no excuses will be necessary.

Nawzer
01-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm one of the few probably who's happy to see Kubiak get another shot. The games we lost this year were not his fault. Missed field goals, goal line fumbles, and etc. are not Kubiak's fault. The players have to be held responsible for those losses. You can blame the scheme, his intensity or whatever else but he's lead us to our first winning season ever. Plus the year Schaub's had, it would've been hard for him to have the same type of year if there was a coaching change. I think its good idea to keep Kubiak and give him one more year to take us to the next step. Congrats to Gary Kubiak and the rest of the coaching staff.

Texanmike02
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Kubes won his game this afternoon but we don't know the outcome of the other games... Should his fate be decided by Denver, Balt and NYJ? If you're in favor of firing him would you change your minds if we make the playoffs?

Mike

FirstTexansFan
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Well if it's official, then I'll support my team, irregardless if I believe they are wrong in doing so.

Pink soap gone, Cowher signature removed, I hope everyone is one big happy family now :)

Runner
01-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I heard McNair say that Kubiak would be back. That's no surprise, after the comeback. Regarding an extension, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I might start a thread on this later, to explain why I feel that way. If someone doesn't beat me to it. I just think there are too many negatives in allowing a coach to enter a lame duck season.

I thought this was supposed to be the season of no more excuses? A couple of upsets today and no excuses will be necessary.

Yep. I proposed last week that if Kubiak stays they should extend him to avoid his being a lame duck coach. However, they should extend him with the knowledge they'd have to eat the extension if he has another mediocre season marred by the same coaching mistakes. A two year extension doesn't mean three more years of average play is acceptable.

Nawzer
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I wasn't in favor of firing him in the first place. But then I sort of wavered and thought he was going to fired anyway. The situation reminded me of the David Carr situation where the fans had had enough of him. I supported that move but I'm happy that Kubiak's going to be back. The way we lost some of those games, its not his fault, its mostly all on the players to execute whatever play/scheme they are running.

4Texans
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Congrats Kubiak! I'm happy with the way we've finished up the season, and you know the players want him back. It will be interesting to see what Bob actually does with his contract.

Texanmike02
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
But my question is really to those that want him gone if we don't make the playoffs. Would he sit here knowing his job hung in the balance of other teams? I'm just curious.

Mike

nero THE zero
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
This season was the perfect season to walk into the playoffs, and we're stumbling and might not even make it.

My contention before the season was playoffs or bust. We might make the playoffs and we might not. So, accordingly, I'd be OK with either result (fire him or not.) What I would take major issue with is a contract extension. That shouldn't even be a consideration ATM. Other than that, I don't really care whether we keep him next season or not.

nero THE zero
01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
But my question is really to those that want him gone if we don't make the playoffs. Would he sit here knowing his job hung in the balance of other teams? I'm just curious.

Mike

The obvious answer to that is that he shouldn't have to rely on those other teams in the first place. The stars aligned perfectly this season and we're waiting for a gift from two other teams to make it in.

GP
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
The obvious answer to that is that he shouldn't have to rely on those other teams in the first place. The stars aligned perfectly this season and we're waiting for a gift from two other teams to make it in.

If we had won only one or two more divisional games, we're in the playoffs no matter what.

We lost 5 out of 6 divisional games. If we went .500 in our division, we are in the playoffs RIGHT NOW.

And that's my beef with Kubiak. He's been playing those two teams for four years now. That's 24 games he's seen them. At some point, you gotta' wear big boy pants and figure out how to beat them.

I expect us to go at least 4-2 in our division next year. Period.

2slik4u
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Im not sure if this will get moved to a draft thread or something but as far as drafting a RB, I liked what I saw today from Arian Foster. He ran with some passion and moved the chains really well. Not to mention he punched it in when we needed it most. If slaton can lose the 15-20 lbs. he put on in the offseason last year and gain his speed and burst back, we could have one hell of a 1-2 punch in the RB position. I was on the RB bandwagon last year when Shonne Green fell to us and we passed ( I think ) but like I said after seeing Foster today and the last couple weeks I think we might have something there.

:fans:

2slik4u
01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I wasn't in favor of firing him in the first place. But then I sort of wavered and thought he was going to fired anyway. The situation reminded me of the David Carr situation where the fans had had enough of him. I supported that move but I'm happy that Kubiak's going to be back. The way we lost some of those games, its not his fault, its mostly all on the players to execute whatever play/scheme they are running.

As far as Im concerned, all is forgiven now that we got over that ugly .500 mark. Give him another year to see what Smithiak can do with another draft. I say give him an extension if the football gods let us in the playoffs.

Lucky
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Im not sure if this will get moved to a draft thread or something but as far as drafting a RB, I liked what I saw today from Arian Foster.
Ditto. But to bastardize a quote from the Great Charley Casserly, "You can never have enough good running backs."

Hervoyel
01-03-2010, 06:43 PM

No!

Do not screw with what's working. Slaton needing to gain weight was a popular topic at the end of last year and you see where that went. Leave Foster just like he is.

Hervoyel
01-03-2010, 06:46 PM
As for bringing back Kubiak I was certain this would happen 2-3 weeks back so I'm not surprised or upset. I've said more than once that I hope I'm wrong. Next year Gary comes back, I'm 100% behind him and we'll see where it goes from there. If they succeed then fantastic. I was wrong and lets see some winning football. If they fall flat on their faces I will be insufferable and ***** loudly and often.

What's the problem?

J_R
01-03-2010, 07:02 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6796978.html

"Story" on it. Nothing new though.

Owner Bob McNair said after Sunday's 34-27 victory over New England that coach Gary Kubiak will return for his fifth season.

McNair said last month that he didn't want to make a change because it would be disruptive and that he would wait until after the season to evaluate Kubiak.

The season ended Sunday with a 9-7 record and a four-game winning streak.

"Gary's my coach," McNair said after the game. "I know there was speculation that he might not be, but he is. He'll definitely be back. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be.

"The team matured today. It was a great victory for us."

McNair also said last month that he thought the Texans had a chance to be a better team in 2010 with Kubiak than a new coach.

"Look at the conditions he coached under, all the injuries," McNair said. "I like Gary for a lot of reasons. He's got a great offensive mind. He has a great sense of how to push players and when to back off. He also doesn't play favorites. He treats players the same, and they respect him for it."

Things of note to me:

"I dont see any reason why he wouldnt" - what has been said many times, many ways(1-5 record,8-25 against winning teams, etc) Does not warrant another year to me
"Injuries" - not an excuse imo
"He doesnt play favorites" - Doesnt play favorites?! lol ok fine, he is being stubborn

Anyhow, one more year fellas, one more year

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
As for bringing back Kubiak I was certain this would happen 2-3 weeks back so I'm not surprised or upset. I've said more than once that I hope I'm wrong. Next year Gary comes back, I'm 100% behind him and we'll see where it goes from there. If they succeed then fantastic. I was wrong and lets see some winning football. If they fall flat on their faces I will be insufferable and ***** loudly and often.

What's the problem?

If they fall apart next year, I'll ***** loudly and often.

I just don't expect us to fall apart next year.

D-Frank
01-03-2010, 09:15 PM

me too

edo783
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
If they fall apart next year, I'll ***** loudly and often.

I just don't expect us to fall apart next year.

Same here.

Mr teX
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm one of the few probably who's happy to see Kubiak get another shot. The games we lost this year were not his fault. Missed field goals, goal line fumbles, and etc. are not Kubiak's fault. The players have to be held responsible for those losses. You can blame the scheme, his intensity or whatever else but he's lead us to our first winning season ever. Plus the year Schaub's had, it would've been hard for him to have the same type of year if there was a coaching change. I think its good idea to keep Kubiak and give him one more year to take us to the next step. Congrats to Gary Kubiak and the rest of the coaching staff.

Why is everyone ignoring this?

Slaton, Moats & Brown all fumbling the ball in critical situations...

Kris Brown shanking fg's

& even though he's had an awesome season, schaub throwing ints at the wrong times

Those things aren't on Kubes those are on the players which is why I was never in favor of firing him. Coaches coach. Players play.

J_R
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Yup, coaches coach, players play. Coaches also put those players on the field. These are his players for his regime that he put out there.

No idea why it took until Week 16 to take Chris Brown out the lineup. Clearly not your best back.

Continued to trot Kris Brown out and didnt even attempt to bring in anyone else. "Kris Brown is our kicker, we just gotta work through this."

Dunta Robinson got burnt half the season but was still out there. Can't really tell you why but the coach felt compelled to play him.

Tell the coach to stop being so damn stubborn.

TheIronDuke
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Kris Brown shanking fg's

& even though he's had an awesome season, schaub throwing ints at the wrong times

Those things aren't on Kubes those are on the players which is why I was never in favor of firing him. Coaches coach. Players play.

Kubes is the one who kept putting the players into position to lose the game. How long did he keep putting the ball in dumb ass Chris Brown's hands instead of a Moats or a Foster? After the missed FG's, no one brought in to look at as a KB replacement?

If Kubes doesn't keep his head up his ass when it comes to the two Browns we'd be in the playoffs. Instead we're at home, again. And just like last year we're hoping he learns from the mistakes made from the season. Yet he doesn't and probably won't.

I guess I'll have to be content with 9-7 and wait until next year. Not much else I can do. I'm stuck with this team so all I can do is hope we can be the sort of team that a playoff spot is natural and we don't continually screw ourselves with piss poor decisions in crucial moments.

Brando
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/FrecklesCC/gkdropsoap.gif

:kitten:

Marcus
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Fans are knee-jerks by nature. So, of course coaches are going to seem stubborn. Stubbornness is a positive trait.

J_R
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Coach can afford to be stubborn knowing he'll be back.

Hervoyel
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/FrecklesCC/gkdropsoap.gif

Not a problem, it's "soap on a rope" so it will be right here and ready for use next year if you don't have the team ready to play on day one.

Will you be ready next year Gary? I suppose there's a first time for everything. Congrats on 9-7 by the way.

HoustonFrog
01-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Kris Brown shanking fg's

Not to be argumentative but you do know that coaches coach that stuff....not making critical mistakes..throwing it away, fumble drills, etc, etc. It's why some teams are unflappable under certain coaches and some make the same mistakes. Everything can be coached. Just like you can cut a kicker who loses games for you. The coaches bring in these players and put them in games. If you practice sloppy, you play sloppy. If your not prepared, you play ill-prepared. As others have said, if they play the same up and down ball next season, then he will be gone. Hopefully they build of this

Marcus
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Kubes is the one who kept putting the players into position to lose the game.

When you read a million and half posts carping the same old argument . . is it the chicken or the egg . . . :listening

infantrycak
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Not to be argumentative but you do know that coaches coach that stuff....not making critical mistakes..throwing it away, fumble drills, etc, etc. It's why some teams are unflappable under certain coaches and some make the same mistakes. Everything can be coached. Just like you can cut a kicker who loses games for you. The coaches bring in these players and put them in games. If you practice sloppy, you play sloppy. If your not prepared, you play ill-prepared.

Nice Truman speech. Yes the coach is ultimately responsible for everything. No it is not realistic to think coaching causes dropped TD passes, fumbles, etc.

As others have said, if they play the same up and down ball next season, then he will be gone.

True most likely.

HoustonFrog
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice Truman speech. Yes the coach is ultimately responsible for everything. No it is not realistic to think coaching causes dropped TD passes, fumbles, etc.

True most likely.

No it is not. I'm just a firm believer that practice makes perfect and if you see the same mistakes....many guys fumbling....then maybe there is an issue with how you run those drills, etc. I just think the NFL has a fine line of what makes really good teams. Many teams have talent. So that is where discipline in certain areas come in. Like someone teaching Tiki Barber how to hold the ball differently to stop his fumblitis. I think it is just a give and take with coach and player. Not putting it all on Kubes

steelbtexan
01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Congrats Kubiak! I'm happy with the way we've finished up the season, and you know the players want him back. It will be interesting to see what Bob actually does with his contract.

McNair didn't fire Kubes because the CBA will not be renewed after the 2010 season. Follow the money.

There will be a lockout before the 2011 season.

If Smithiak make the playoffs in 2010 they will be retained. If not they will be fired and McNair will not have to pay a coaching staff during the 2011 lockout.

This move shouldn't suprise anybody.

I hope I'm wrong about Kubes and the Texans win the Super Bowl next year.

Go Smithiak

PS. Fix the D**N O-LINE

Mr teX
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Not to be argumentative but you do know that coaches coach that stuff....not making critical mistakes..throwing it away, fumble drills, etc, etc. It's why some teams are unflappable under certain coaches and some make the same mistakes. Everything can be coached. Just like you can cut a kicker who loses games for you. The coaches bring in these players and put them in games. If you practice sloppy, you play sloppy. If your not prepared, you play ill-prepared. As others have said, if they play the same up and down ball next season, then he will be gone. Hopefully they build of this

I disagree. the focus of the player is and has always been the key factor in the equation. Look at the giants. Tom Coughlin hammers home discipline and accountability with his teams & that nearly got him fired in 2005-6. Then all of a sudden the players put it together late in 2007, make a run & wind up winning the superbowl. 2 years later, they look like the same undiscplined team from 2006.

While i don't disagree that everything can be coached to, The effectiveness of that coaching has more to do with the player himself & how focused they are when "the bullets start flying". & in that regard, I'm fairly positive Kubes and co. have coached to & made it blatantly obvious how they feel about fumbling, TO's etc.

Yeah, you can blame him for bringing these guys in but that's where it ends.

steelbtexan
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey Kubes why didn't Foster get a chance earlier?

Say gaame 3 would've been good.

Kris/Chris Brown thanks for keeping the Texans out of the playoffs.

Goldensilence
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I'll give it to Gary, his staff, and players. They pulled it out at the end of the year ,but this time they managed to end the season with a winning record and save his job.

I'm still concerned going into next season, but I guess we'll have to see how the off-season progresses. Do I hope he's finally turned some sort of coaching corner? Yeah, but I'm still not exactly confident. We've got a big boy schedule next year and well, we do play in the AFC South. I have a feeling it's just not going to get any easier in our division and the NFC doesn't look like it'll falter too much going into next season.

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
No idea why it took until Week 16 to take Chris Brown out the lineup. Clearly not your best back.

He was our best blocking back. He was the best back at picking up blitzes.

Foster did pretty well at picking up the blitzes today but he probably wasn't very good at picking them up at the beginning of the season.

steelbtexan
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I'll give it to Gary, his staff, and players. They pulled it out at the end of the year ,but this time they managed to end the season with a winning record and save his job.

I'm still concerned going into next season, but I guess we'll have to see how the off-season progresses. Do I hope he's finally turned some sort of coaching corner? Yeah, but I'm still not exactly confident. We've got a big boy schedule next year and well, we do play in the AFC South. I have a feeling it's just not going to get any easier in our division and the NFC doesn't look like it'll falter too much going into next season.

If Gary hasn't turned the coaching corner in 4 years why do you thmk he's going to magically turn the corner in year 5?

I hope I'm wromg.

Mr teX
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Yup, coaches coach, players play. Coaches also put those players on the field. These are his players for his regime that he put out there.

Continued to trot Kris Brown out and didnt even attempt to bring in anyone else. "Kris Brown is our kicker, we just gotta work through this."

Dunta Robinson got burnt half the season but was still out there. Can't really tell you why but the coach felt compelled to play him.

Everything looks obvious in hindsight...

there was no reason to believe Kris Brown would have the meltdown that he did late this year plus he was already here when kubes got here. So that's 2 potential wins right there. Okay, get rid of him & bring someone else in...who else is out there that's obviously better, Nick Folk? Thanks but no thanks.

Yeah, i think he also knew Brown wasn't our best back, which is why Slaton was our starter; there was also no indication he would have the problems he had after his 2008 campaign either. Okay so you say give the ball to anyone but brown right? moats, a career back-up.... has the same problems slaton & brown have had, so insert the rookie Foster & hope he doesn't get Schaub killed in pass protection.

& you are totally embellishing on dunta. He wasn't shutdown as he likes to think he is, but he wasn't getting "burnt" regularly either. But lets play your game. Bench dunta & start who? Bennett who was really getting killed earlier in the year? unproven rookies McCain & Quinn & ruin their confidence? An unhealthy molden & or Reeves?

Im not saying kubes doesn't share in some of the responsibility, just saying i think it's less than the soapers want to believe to be.

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM

I don't think he was ready at game 3.

Hervoyel
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't think he was ready at game 3.

Yeah, not ready by game three is a pretty common problem around these parts. We get a lot of that.

ObsiWan
01-04-2010, 12:23 AM

See the aforementioned discussion about fumbling in practice.

Lucky
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, not ready by game three is a pretty common problem around these parts. We get a lot of that.
Thanks a lot for making me spit on my screen. :pissed:

steelbtexan
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
C.Brown was ready by game 3?

Game 7?

Game 12?

Game 16?

MannyFresh
01-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Then time for a Ch/Kris Brown Soap

eriadoc
01-04-2010, 01:27 AM
there was no reason to believe Kris Brown would have the meltdown that he did late this year ...

Yes, there was reason. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67306) There was no reason to ignore the risk in extending the guy.

Mr teX
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes, there was reason. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67306) There was no reason to ignore the risk in extending the guy.

Uh, no there wasn't. You said it yourself in the thread you posted. He performed well in 08' so you laid off. but aside from all that..again, who was out there that you would've wanted to see over brown?