PDA

View Full Version : He wasn't ready.....

thunderkyss
01-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Just thought I would post my ideas about this team before this game... just because.

I was disappointed as many of you were with our HC after our 2006 season. I knew then, that he was not ready for the job at hand after watching what had transpired that season. It's not that I thought he wasn't ready to be a head coach in this league, I thought he was not ready to take this team from where we were to where we wanted to go.

Taking that into consideration, I think he's done a remarkable job.

We weren't an expansion team in 2006. We were a failed expansion team, & IMHO we needed a Holmgren, Parcells, a Shanahan, or maybe a Cowher at that time.

4 years later, we are a handful of plays away from competing with the elite teams in the NFL. & that's the way I expect this game to go. I would be shocked, & sorely disappointed if we get blown out the way the Titans & Jags did. & I would have to admit I'm wrong about the state of this franchise if we are.

From where we are now, I believe Kubiak is the right man for the job. To take us from where we are now, to the Super Bowl, there is no doubt, in my mind, that Kubiak can get that job done. If we make it to the play-offs this season, I think we'll see that. Not that we'll get to the Super Bowl, but I'd bet we make it to the AFC Championship game & compete well with whoever is there.

I don't by any means believe Kubiak is the only guy who can get us there. If McNair decides we need to move on, I can respect that... & unless he screws the pooch on his next selection, I believe that coach has an inside track to being very successful his first year here.

I do however feel that Kubiak built this, & he should at least get next year to prove he deserves to stay. This is where we should have been when he got here. He got us here. To me, it's only fair.

Again, I don't care if he's here or not... I care more about this team. I just think it would be the right thing to do.

DexmanC
01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
The "handful of plays" needs to be removed from our vocabulary. You have
to apply it to BOTH sides of the ledger if you're gonna continue to use it.
We were a handful of plays from winning the Colts, Jags, and Titans games.
We were also a handful of plays away from LOSING to the Rams, Dolphins,
and Tennessee. At the end of he season, you ARE who your record
SAYS you are.

WWJD
01-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Until the Texans can compete well within their own division I'll hold back on Coach Kubiak doing a "remarkable" job.

They haven't and he hasn't. But he'll be back.

Thorn
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Smith and Kubiak have immensely improved the talent level on this team, but it hasn't yet turned into the victory's we need. Depending on my mood these days, I'm all for keeping Kubiak and not rocking next years boat. I can also see hiring a proven coach to come in here and take all this accumulated talent to the next level.

Either of those two options work for me. What will NOT work for me, and I've said this before, is replacing Kubiak with another rookie head coach. If McNair does that, now matter how enticing the new HC is, I'll be pissed as hell.

edo783
01-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Smith and Kubiak have immensely improved the talent level on this team, but it hasn't yet turned into the victory's we need. Depending on my mood these days, I'm all for keeping Kubiak and not rocking next years boat. I can also see hiring a proven coach to come in here and take all this accumulated talent to the next level.

Either of those two options work for me. What will NOT work for me, and I've said this before, is replacing Kubiak with another rookie head coach. If McNair does that, now matter how enticing the new HC is, I'll be pissed as hell.

This is where I'm at also. (I suspect most of the non soapers but not Sally sunshineers are at this point) If we could get someone like Cowher (would need to have him in the bag before letting Kubes go) then OK, but most of the other guys I wouldn't be on board with like Gruden or Shanny senior, MIGHT be OK with Billick. I'm willing to take that sort of risk and make no mistake about it, it would still carry risk with it at least in the short term. But, if we just dump him to dump him and then look around to see who we can get, that would be stupid. I see him moving the team in the right direction, just not as fast as we might like.

ObsiWan
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
This is where I'm at also. (I suspect most of the non soapers but not Sally sunshineers are at this point) If we could get someone like Cowher (would need to have him in the bag before letting Kubes go) then OK, but most of the other guys I wouldn't be on board with like Gruden or Shanny senior, MIGHT be OK with Billick. I'm willing to take that sort of risk and make no mistake about it, it would still carry risk with it at least in the short term. But, if we just dump him to dump him and then look around to see who we can get, that would be stupid. I see him moving the team in the right direction, just not as fast as we might like.

EXTREMELY stupid.

GP
01-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Just thought I would post my ideas about this team before this game... just because.

I was disappointed as many of you were with our HC after our 2006 season. I knew then, that he was not ready for the job at hand after watching what had transpired that season. It's not that I thought he wasn't ready to be a head coach in this league, I thought he was not ready to take this team from where we were to where we wanted to go.

Taking that into consideration, I think he's done a remarkable job.

We weren't an expansion team in 2006. We were a failed expansion team, & IMHO we needed a Holmgren, Parcells, a Shanahan, or maybe a Cowher at that time.

4 years later, we are a handful of plays away from competing with the elite teams in the NFL. & that's the way I expect this game to go. I would be shocked, & sorely disappointed if we get blown out the way the Titans & Jags did. & I would have to admit I'm wrong about the state of this franchise if we are.

From where we are now, I believe Kubiak is the right man for the job. To take us from where we are now, to the Super Bowl, there is no doubt, in my mind, that Kubiak can get that job done. If we make it to the play-offs this season, I think we'll see that. Not that we'll get to the Super Bowl, but I'd bet we make it to the AFC Championship game & compete well with whoever is there.

I don't by any means believe Kubiak is the only guy who can get us there. If McNair decides we need to move on, I can respect that... & unless he screws the pooch on his next selection, I believe that coach has an inside track to being very successful his first year here.

I do however feel that Kubiak built this, & he should at least get next year to prove he deserves to stay. This is where we should have been when he got here. He got us here. To me, it's only fair.

Again, I don't care if he's here or not... I care more about this team. I just think it would be the right thing to do.

So you're really invested, emotionally, in seeing Kubiak mature into the head coach that NFL teams NEED in order to be above-average?

I see a lot of sentimentalism in your post (bolded, for effect). You firmly believe that it wouldn't be "fair" or "right" if someone else came in and took over what he started.

My view is that if Gary Kubiak wants to keep that which he started, he needs to stop being a maintainer and begin being a cold-blooded, ruthless menace on gameday.

You had responded to me in another thread and made a semi-critical remark about my admiration of Fisher and Del Rio--about their ruthlessness when they get a chance to beat someone down. I stand by those remarks because the NFL is not a video game, it's not sandlot football where we all drink a beer after playing a good, clean game of flag football.

If Gary Kubiak had one single ounce of what Fisher and Del Rio have, it'd mix perfectly with the other ingredients that he already possesses and exhibits. It would complete him, IMO. But it still feels like the guy, on gameday, is just out there running practice drills and not being a manager of the game (spotting the opponent's weaknesses, riding hell-bent for leather, etc.) Instead, we get Chris Brown. WTH? Kubiak is perplexing.

I know you care about this team. And I applaud this thread and your first post in it.

houstonspartan
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Good lord. ANOTHER thread.

Ugh.

GP
01-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Good lord. ANOTHER thread.

Ugh.

And you posted in it!

FTW!

:bravo:

DexmanC
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
The OP just gave us a long winded version of:

Give Kubiak a FOUR-YEAR MULLIGAN!!!

lol

Four years, to get "nestled" in.

Next year's THE REAL "The Year!"

gary
01-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Each year 8-8 happens...........................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sraruD8ho

Wolf
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Casserly on NFL show expects Kubiak to get an extension

Wolf
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM

exactly my thoughts

Scooter
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM

smith and kubiak did indeed improve the talent level of this team. what have they impoved it to? all we have to go off of is crap - we've improved our talent level from andre johnson as the only player to our current roster ... where are we now really? is it forgotten that kubiak was handcuffed with david carr for his first season? did we miss that mike sherman set us back a season both in free agency and scheme? did we miss bush being in his second year (first as DC) on the texans? how many years has kubiak actually had?

Mr. White
01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
did we miss that mike sherman set us back a season both in free agency and scheme?

Nope and we damn sure haven't missed that Alex Gibbs has been doing the same thing the past two years. Wonder who the next caveman will be that gets hired as Asst. HC...........

At some point the buck stops with the head coach.

Wolf
01-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Is Bruce Mathews getting groomed for the Texans?
He is one of a dozen (it seems) assistant coaches on the team

thunderkyss
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
The "handful of plays" needs to be removed from our vocabulary. You have
to apply it to BOTH sides of the ledger ....

I'm not jaded at all, & I agree exactly with what you said. We are a handful of plays away from being a great team...

My view is that if Gary Kubiak wants to keep that which he started, he needs to stop being a maintainer and begin being a cold-blooded, ruthless menace on gameday.

You had responded to me in another thread and made a semi-critical remark about my admiration of Fisher and Del Rio--about their ruthlessness when they get a chance to beat someone down. I stand by those remarks because the NFL is not a video game, it's not sandlot football where we all drink a beer after playing a good, clean game of flag football.

& where has that got Fisher & Del Rio? They're going to be rooting for the Jets tonight, in hopes that the Texans don't get to the post season.

I see what you're saying, & yeah, it would be great to see someone get in someone's grill on game day. But... I also like the way the Colts do it. Learn your job, & do your job better than everyone else. & you'll win more games than you lose.

That's where I see us going.

thunderkyss
01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
is it forgotten that kubiak was handcuffed with david carr for his first season? did we miss that mike sherman set us back a season both in free agency and scheme? did we miss bush being in his second year (first as DC) on the texans? how many years has kubiak actually had?

I'm with you. Sure, maybe Kubiak should have stood up a little more to McNair... & benched him early in 2006. Maybe he should have stood up to Sherman, & told him, "ZBS & nothing else" I don't know what the dynamics were, & what Kubiak could have, & could not have done.

People wonder about why Alex Gibbs has not been able to work his magic here... but I think what Sherman did, poisoned the minds of Pitts & Winston. Pitts did not like Zone Blocking. You could watch him & see it. He would much rather go mano-y-mano, & over power his opponent.

Chester is big, strong, athletic, & he's a good player. But it may be time for him to move on.

I may very well be making all this up, & I may be way off.

But if you put your hatred of Chris Myers aside, & watch how our "starting 5" has progressed this year.... I think it's obvious.

Before, the Zone Stretch would hit a log pile at Pitts when they would run to the left, & there would be no cutback lane, because Winston simply would not cut block.

But if you watch them since the Second Tennessee game, they've been consitently opening holes, & cut back lanes... Since the second Tennessee game, our running game weakness has been the RB, not the OL.

What I do like about Kubiak, is that this is his do or die year. He knows that. But instead of playing it safe, & letting the players "do what they want to do" he was determined to run the ZBS this year.

There was a thread way back at the beginning of the year, when I asked why Kubiak was not doing what made our run game successful last year, pulling Pitts & Winston, getting them out in front & running behind them.

& you could see he was determined to run to the left, putting Winston on the backside of the play...

Now we're running to the right just as much, & Winston is doing the right thing on the backside.

Same thing with Frank Bush. I was afraid after our third game, when we let another RB go crazy on us, that we would start playing prevent defense. Like we have in the past. But have been aggressive from bell to bell. Our defensive players have been empowered to make plays on every down. & they've responded by becoming the best defense we've ever had.

I'm loving this team.

Scooter
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
hiya.

houstonspartan
01-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm not jaded at all, & I agree exactly with what you said. We are a handful of plays away from being a great team...

& where has that got Fisher & Del Rio? They're going to be rooting for the Jets tonight, in hopes that the Texans don't get to the post season.

I see what you're saying, & yeah, it would be great to see someone get in someone's grill on game day. But... I also like the way the Colts do it. Learn your job, & do your job better than everyone else. & you'll win more games than you lose.

That's where I see us going.

Are you kidding me? Del Rio and Fisher are outstanding coaches. You can't compare us to Indy, because they built a history of winning and excellence. We are not the Colts. We HAVE to get inj people's grills on game day.

And, I'm going to get a nice letter from Bob McNair in about a month, saying how he's about to screw season ticket holders with a 10 percent bump (even though he raised prices last year).

The Pencil Neck
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Are you kidding me? Del Rio and Fisher are outstanding coaches. You can't compare us to Indy, because they built a history of winning and excellence. We are not the Colts. We HAVE to get inj people's grills on game day.

And, I'm going to get a nice letter from Bob McNair in about a month, saying how he's about to screw season ticket holders with a 10 percent bump (even though he raised prices last year).

I don't understand why you've got such a fond spot for Del Rio. He's really not that good of a coach. In 7 seasons, he's been to the playoffs twice and he's had 3 <.500 seasons and only 2 really good seasons. His teams frequently fold like a card table and lose games they should win.

thunderkyss
01-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Are you kidding me? Del Rio and Fisher are outstanding coaches.

I've not posted my opinion of Fisher or Del Rio.

You were saying what needs to be done, is getting in someone's face & chewing them out to get better performance out of them.

I'm just saying that technique didn't work very well for Fisher & Del Rio this year.

That's all.

You can't compare us to Indy, because they built a history of winning and excellence. We are not the Colts.

Instead of getting into peoples faces, it seems Gary is more concerned with teaching our players the right way to play. As far as I can tell, that's the way the Colts have done it.

When we get good at what we want to do, we'll win a bunch of games.

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Each year 8-8 happens...........................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sraruD8ho

Ugh, don't use the Dixie Chicks version. Use the original artist's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNrrrCCTdA

Fleetwood Mac FTW!

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Pffft! Del Rio has basically run that organization into the ground. Nobody likes him as a HC, likely including a few of his own players.

Write that letter. I reckon it'll do a lot of good.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't understand why you've got such a fond spot for Del Rio. He's really not that good of a coach. In 7 seasons, he's been to the playoffs twice and he's had 3 <.500 seasons and only 2 really good seasons. His teams frequently fold like a card table and lose games they should win.

His teams fold like a card table and lose games they should win? Did you really just write that?

I like Del Rio because, every single year, he is "on the hot seat." Yet, he always manages to rally his guys to play and win WHEN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO.

So, three less than .500 seasons in seven years? Uh, that makes FIVE above .500 seasons. Five winning seasons in seven years? That's impressive.

And, keep in mind that Del Rio has traditionally had a lot less than Kubiak to work with. And he has a cheap owner. And he has a stadium that won't sell out and is frequently nearly empty.

Del Rio can gut out some wins when needed.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Pffft! Del Rio has basically run that organization into the ground. Nobody likes him as a HC, likely including a few of his own players.

Yeah, everybody hates him and yet, he somehow manages to keep his job. That's because he can rally his guys when needed.

I don't know about the inner workings of the Jags, so I can't comment on that. But I will say that they have a cheap, disfunctional owner in a market that can't sell tickets. I doubt if Del Rio is the only one responsible for "running that place into the ground."

Honoring Earl 34
01-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Fisher is like Gibbs used to be when the ZBS came out . Folks were beat before the game started because the Broncos were good and borderline dirty . Gibbs had the right folks in place at the right time and TD rode it to two SB wins . Then I guess they changed some rules and it's not as feared , kinda like the Titans trying to be bullies after losing Fat Albert .

Texan_Bill
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
So, three less than .500 seasons in seven years? Uh, that makes FIVE above .500 seasons. Five winning seasons in seven years? That's impressive.

7-3 = 4 :thinking:

I dunno, I had a lot to drink yesterday.

houstonspartan
01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
7-3 = 4 :thinking:

I dunno, I had a lot to drink yesterday.

LMAO!

My bad. My coffee hadn't kicked in yet. Yes, that's 4 winning seasons.

Thanks for pointing that out.

HOU-TEX
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, everybody hates him and yet, he somehow manages to keep his job. That's because he can rally his guys when needed.

I don't know about the inner workings of the Jags, so I can't comment on that. But I will say that they have a cheap, disfunctional owner in a market that can't sell tickets. I doubt if Del Rio is the only one responsible for "running that place into the ground."

The dude's had 3 winning seasons in 7 years. I wouldn't call that rallying his troops. Personally, I think he gets whacked soon. If not, I don't see things getting better for that organization.

Of course he's not the only one, but he's had huge hand in dragging it down.

Pantherstang84
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM
The dude's had 3 winning seasons in 7 years. I wouldn't call that rallying his troops. Personally, I think he gets whacked soon. If not, I don't see things getting better for that organization.

Of course he's not the only one, but he's had huge hand in dragging it down.

Part of the plan to move to LA? :shrug: