PDA

View Full Version : 9-7 Does Not Matter?

gary
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I have seen a few posters post that thought. I mean just come on already it's the difference between a winning season or a .500 season. That my friends is a huge difference to any real Texans fan. A winning record is a first things first type of deal and then the playoffs. Has the Texans play lowered our standers that much that some of us are now blowing off a winning season to just another average season? I guess it has for some folks around here geez, but surely it hasn't for me. The last two seasons have ended in .500 fashtion for this team and it has been a long time coming since the Texans have had their best shot at a winning season as we well know and this is it. Besides the playoffs a winning season is very important to every NFL team it was what I was wanting to see from the Texans this season as everything bulids upon that factor going into next season IMO. A postive note is much better going into next season rather than just an average note regardless of wether or not everything falls into place on Sunday and they do reach the playoffs or not if you know what I mean. I do not have tickets for the game on Sunday but have been invited to join some tailgate groups aroud the stadium in the the biggest badest tailgating city the NFL has and barring no rain I plan on doing so. I will still either hear or watch the game somewhare outside the stadium hopefully and I'd like to see those who going get there early scream and rock the house for the first single Teaxans winning season ever and if everything goes right the freaking playoffs regardless of my stance on the HC and what not I know I'll be loud and proud come this Sunday and hope all Texans fans are. A lot of thought went into this post so I hope you enjoy it.

Thorn
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I want 9-7 whether we go to the playoffs or not. I want the Texans to get used to being winners.

jaayteetx
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I wanna win, period.

gary
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I want 9-7 whether we go to the playoffs or not. I want the Texans to get used to being winners.Amen.

SheTexan
12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Gary, I always enjoy your post!! I just try to stay positive. A 9-7 season is what I predicted the beginning of the season, and to me that is progress, and progress is a positive thing. Sign up the vets we have that are worth keeping, have another positive draft, and solidify a couple weak holes, and we SHOULD be ready to rock the NFL next year. I'm saddened by the "almost" games we lost, but, that is hindsight, over and done with, and I'm ready to move forward.

I will be there Sunday, haven't missed a home game yet, and I'll do some more damage to my vocal cords. Eight years of Bullpen fandom has taken it's toll on my voice, as well as my old body. lol BUT, I'll be there doing my part to rock Reliant and help our boys make this a winning season. As for the playoffs, I don't even think about that. If it happens GREAT, if not, then so be it. I'll just get ready for next year. I'm sincerely thankful, and very happy, I have a hometown football team to root for. THey are MINE, win, lose, or draw, and that my dear friend, is what being a fan is all about.

Hope to see ya Sunday!!

houstonspartan
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh no. I sense a 25-page thread about our head coach coming. I'm burned out on that discussion.

Just for the record: yes, 9-7 is important. I just think some of us don't want to get our hopes up too high. If it happens, great. If not, that's great, too, because we weren't expecting it.

Yep, that's what this team has done to us.

TheRealJoker
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
This fanbase should be finished hoping the team tanks games for better draft position. We've got talent and an ability to find impact players in the middle of the 1st round. Its time we hope to WIN as much as possible every season.

Not to mention we're still in the freaking playoff hunt!!! We go 9-7 and we not only have our first winning season but we will still be in the hunt until 2 out of 3 teams ahead of us win their games. If that doesn't happen then we get into the playoffs with a 9-7 record... I'd say that matters A LOT!!!

gary
12-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh no. I sense a 25-page thread about our head coach coming. I'm burned out on that discussion.

Just for the record: yes, 9-7 is important. I just think some of us don't want to get our hopes up too high. If it happens, great. If not, that's great, too, because we weren't expecting it.

Yep, that's what this team has done to us.Do not exspect it that's fine but do not say there isn't any difference between an 8-8 season and a winning season when there is.

Ryan
12-30-2009, 04:20 PM
9-7 definitely does matter. I want to be respected.

ObsiWan
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Gary, I always enjoy your post!! I just try to stay positive. A 9-7 season is what I predicted the beginning of the season, and to me that is progress, and progress is a positive thing. Sign up the vets we have that are worth keeping, have another positive draft, and solidify a couple weak holes, and we SHOULD be ready to rock the NFL next year. I'm saddened by the "almost" games we lost, but, that is hindsight, over and done with, and I'm ready to move forward.

I will be there Sunday, haven't missed a home game yet, and I'll do some more damage to my vocal cords. Eight years of Bullpen fandom has taken it's toll on my voice, as well as my old body. lol BUT, I'll be there doing my part to rock Reliant and help our boys make this a winning season. As for the playoffs, I don't even think about that. If it happens GREAT, if not, then so be it. I'll just get ready for next year. I'm sincerely thankful, and very happy, I have a hometown football team to root for. THey are MINE, win, lose, or draw, and that my dear friend, is what being a fan is all about.

Hope to see ya Sunday!!

Unleash the Grumpy Ole Woman!!
:shetexan:

Double Barrel
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I want 9-7 whether we go to the playoffs or not. I want the Texans to get used to being winners.

My thoughts exactly. :goodpost: :clap:

Lots of folks have disparaged a 9-7 record around here, but right now there are five 8-7 AFC teams that are competing for two wildcard spots. Both of those spots will most likely be taken by 9-7 teams. That - and the winning record thing - is the difference between 9-7 and 8-8.

spurstexanstros
12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
ummmmm do to my 0-2 record when attending games this year...the fans here threatened to flatten my tires if i got tickets....

Hey I was 2-0 last year.

I am going to get BWW and eat it I am 4-0 when eating at or getting them and taking home.
Wife is getting told to go away..... she is not going to exist that day. She is pissed because she is now a football widow.

ATXtexanfan
12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll take 9-7 and all the hype for next year.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Unleash the Grumpy Ole Woman!!
:shetexan:

:foottap: I gotta see her Sunday.

No More 8-8's
12-30-2009, 04:40 PM
My UserName speaks for itself.

gary
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Very good Username.

SheTexan
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
:laughjump::foottap: I gotta see her Sunday.

I'm cheerin up!! Last night at work TONIGHT, then off for 4 nights!! YEA!! I won't be grumpy on Sunday!! DRUNK maybe, but, not grumpy. I'm a HAPPY drunk!! :winky::shetexan:

bckey
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Do not exspect it that's fine but do not say there isn't any difference between an 8-8 season and a winning season when there is.

I think maybe if we beat the real Patriots on sunday we can be happy for a winning season but if our first winning season comes from the Patriots playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers it would be kind of blah. I don't want anything handed to us. I want them to play their starters for 4 quarters and the Texans go out and earn their first winning season. That my fellow fans is something we could brag about.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 06:14 PM
:laughjump:

I'm cheerin up!! Last night at work TONIGHT, then off for 4 nights!! YEA!! I won't be grumpy on Sunday!! DRUNK maybe, but, not grumpy. I'm a HAPPY drunk!! :winky::shetexan:

:whew Thank God!!!

Lucky
12-30-2009, 06:16 PM
9-7 is better than 8-8. But, 10-6 would have been much, much nicer.

gary
12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
I think maybe if we beat the real Patriots on sunday we can be happy for a winning season but if our first winning season comes from the Patriots playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers it would be kind of blah. I don't want anything handed to us. I want them to play their starters for 4 quarters and the Texans go out and earn their first winning season. That my fellow fans is something we could brag about.I am right there with you bro but if they choose not to play their starter it would not be the Texans fault.

Big Lou
12-30-2009, 06:25 PM

Hope to see ya Sunday!!

Although I think we underachieved this year, and I was pretty dissappointed in the middle of the year I think we set our hopes to high. We set ourselves up for dissappointment (Some of us). However after calming down after a three game win streak, I look at those almost games in a different way. Those almost games mean that the Texans "almost" won, as oppossed to bever bieng in the game. We only had one "never in it game", which was against the Jets, every other game was close until late in the game. I think there were only three games that were'nt down to the wire to either win or go in to OT. Have we ever been able to say that before. Although not satisfying, that is improvement.

9 and 7 means a lot to me, and I think it will give this team the swagger next year that it had after 5 games this year, when they got in the groove before the bad stretch.

I think the whole 2 quarter thing should be fixed in the offseason by some interior OL, a little good luck with health and maybe a draft pick at RB. The defense is great at times with a couple of lapses per game. I feel Kubiaks folly this year was not accepting that this offense is a high octane offense. I mean they are like a Stock Car, when you start off they sound like they won't even run, hell they sound like they're gonna stall, but at about 5000 rpm's they sound like hell on wheels. This offense has no throttle back, it's all or nothing. It seems like Kubes try's to keep the offense in overdrive in the second half when they lead, but then Shaub throws an INT or a RB fumbles and he puckers and try's to limp to the win. He finally gave in to the pass to set up the run, even if there was just enough run to keep the defense honest, he just should have kept the offensive throttle opened up even after a couple of miscues. If they can fix the running game, they can hold on to leads, keep the defense knocking the piss out of people and go 12-4 next year regardless of the schedule.

I praying for the playoffs this year, and I have a funny feeling if we take care of business on Sunday the football gods good reward us, but either way I'm excited about next years prospects even though I'm tired of saying that.

So here's to 9-7 whether we see a game in January or not!!!!!!!!

TexansFanatic
12-30-2009, 06:29 PM
9-7 is better than 8-8. But, 10-6 would have been much, much nicer.

So true. One more win and this board would be going bananas right now.

BUT.....9-7 is still a HUGE deal for a team who's never been a winner.

I think (assuming the Texans win this Sunday) just knowing they're winners throughout the off-season will have a real effect on their self-esteem and the way they approach next season.

Speedy
12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I think maybe if we beat the real Patriots on sunday we can be happy for a winning season but if our first winning season comes from the Patriots playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers it would be kind of blah. I don't want anything handed to us. I want them to play their starters for 4 quarters and the Texans go out and earn their first winning season. That my fellow fans is something we could brag about.

I won't have a problem if the Pats pull their starters and the Texans win. If the Pats pull their starters after a half....well...a half is like a full game for the Texans so it shouldn't make much difference, right?

SAMURAITEXAN
12-30-2009, 06:59 PM
9-7 matters! Our first winning record season! We need to focus on the Pats and then playoffs.

Go Texans!!!

Lucky
12-30-2009, 07:00 PM
BUT.....9-7 is still a HUGE deal for a team who's never been a winner.
I don't see it. Last offseason, there were posters here suggesting the Texans 8-8 record in 2008 was more impressive than Arizona's 9-7 (which qualified for the NFC playoffs). And while I didn't buy that argument then, there is little to distinguish between this seasons possible 9-7 mark and last season's 8-8. Both seasons, the Texans beat up on the weak and struggled with the strong.

The Texans previous strong finishes never created momentum into the following season. There's no logic suggesting that would change, next year. A franchise best 9-7 record would seem hollow, when the team realizes they were one game away from the Super Bowl tournament. Now if fans want to be happy about 9-7, that's fine. I would hope that 9-7 would leave a bitter taste in the collective mouth of the Texans. From the owner to the ball boys. At some point, this franchise needs to make a commitment to becoming a champion, rather than celebrate stats.

DexmanC
12-30-2009, 07:17 PM
I wonder if the Rockets celebrated their first 42-40 season.
I wonder if the Astros celebrated their first 82-80 season.

9-7 ain't a losing season, but don't go and have a parade over it.

If they get to 9-7, good on 'em. This team needs to reach high. Aim for
6-0 in your division, 16-0 overall. If the first words out of your mouth
after a loss are "ho hum, gee gosh, look at the film get 'em next week."
You need a kick in the ass. Championships don't come to you by accident.
You have to go out and TAKE it.

Wolf
12-30-2009, 08:03 PM
It matters to about 5 draft slots give or take :spin:

seriously.. I go with Thorns take

SAMURAITEXAN
12-30-2009, 08:15 PM

I will be happier with 9-7 than 8-8. Like Thorn said, it is important for us to get used to winning. It ain't nothing to prade about but at least we will have our first winning record season which is important and improvement for our team IMO. And to me comparing with Stros and Rockets aren't good example as they had winning season and went to championship games in the past. Like I said, everything start from winning and for our Texans, this is our first time to have a legit winning record season.

Our playoff contender team tradition starts from here!

GP
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Do not exspect it that's fine but do not say there isn't any difference between an 8-8 season and a winning season when there is.

NO, there's not.

Sorry to dampen your emotions.

9-7 and 8-8 are going to both end up doing the same thing: No playoffs.

10-6? That's a big deal.

9-7? "We finally have a winning season!"

We need a smiley where a happy face comes out, has a "blah" look on his face and throws a few scraps of confetti, blows a party favor, and then walks off.

GP
12-30-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't see it. Last offseason, there were posters here suggesting the Texans 8-8 record in 2008 was more impressive than Arizona's 9-7 (which qualified for the NFC playoffs). And while I didn't buy that argument then, there is little to distinguish between this seasons possible 9-7 mark and last season's 8-8. Both seasons, the Texans beat up on the weak and struggled with the strong.

The Texans previous strong finishes never created momentum into the following season. There's no logic suggesting that would change, next year. A franchise best 9-7 record would seem hollow, when the team realizes they were one game away from the Super Bowl tournament. Now if fans want to be happy about 9-7, that's fine. I would hope that 9-7 would leave a bitter taste in the collective mouth of the Texans. From the owner to the ball boys. At some point, this franchise needs to make a commitment to becoming a champion, rather than celebrate stats.

Now why do you have to go and pour water on everybody's parade like that?

LOL.

I think you posted the perfect post on this topic.

I wish I could make the whole thing my signature.

I guess my current signature will have to do...

Thorn
12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
meh.......if we, as Houston football fans, were to cry over all the spilt milk, then the entire water level of the planet would go up three feet.

The Texans probably won't make the playoffs, they might not even get to 9-7 this year. I don't care, because I'll be back next season for more. All these debates about what coulda shoulda woulda get old after a while. I've been watching pro football since the late 60s, and we could do far worse than Smith and Kubiak. I've seen it. Kubiak is going way to slow for the talent level on this team for me. But it ain't all his fault.

I just don't see how some folks put it ALL on Kubiak, when that just isn't the case.

houstonspartan
12-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Gary, I did not say that there is not a difference between 8-8 and 9-7.

houstonspartan
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Lucky,

Damn, I hit the rep button so fast my head spun. But, the system won't allow me to rep you again so soon.

BRILLIANT post. And I agree 100000000 percent.

Your comments about the Texans beating up on the weak and struggled with the strong was damn near literary. And, it also highlights the issue I face: Renew the season tix, or no?

Great post.

GP
12-30-2009, 09:40 PM
meh.......if we, as Houston football fans, were to cry over all the spilt milk, then the entire water level of the planet would go up three feet.

The Texans probably won't make the playoffs, they might not even get to 9-7 this year. I don't care, because I'll be back next season for more. All these debates about what coulda shoulda woulda get old after a while. I've been watching pro football since the late 60s, and we could do far worse than Smith and Kubiak. I've seen it. Kubiak is going way to slow for the talent level on this team for me. But it ain't all his fault.

I just don't see how some folks put it ALL on Kubiak, when that just isn't the case.

I think the whole culture of sports has changed dramatically since the 60s.

Things back then moved slower. Building things took time. Then people started figuring out that the way they differentiated themselves from their competitors (in EVERY form of business or competition) was to do things a lot faster than their opponent.

Everything moves faster now. Think about it. You can't even purchase a piece of technology before it's already "slower" than the next new thing that's come out to replace it. Even the sports media are now rendered almost useless with the Twitter posts which allows athletes and insiders to provide the fastest updates imaginable. Think about it: In the 60s, writers would hang out in the clubs with the players or go sit in the office of the team's facility to get a story--which wouldn't be read until the next day!--and now the players themselves are reporting what they're doing.

Everything is getting faster.

To that extent, I think there's a gap between the old codgers like you and the young smarty pants like me. Where you see an opportunity to watch football that's at least "better than it had been a long time ago...," I see just another blip on my radar that appeared and then vanished just as quickly.

Are we the Rams? No, and THANK GOODNESS! we're not. I have something to be grateful for, I suppose.

It's just one thing to know that this year is gone, and that probably next year is going to bring more of the same.

There's a reason our President can only have four years before he faces the electorate again. LOL. I wish we did the same thing.

eriadoc
12-31-2009, 03:12 AM
A winning season would be a good step, especially if it comes against a Pats team that plays to win. However, given the trend of playing two quarters of football per game, I can't get too excited about 9-7, really. Even some of the games they won were only because the other team ran out of time. The Texans didn't put them away. That bothers me, and makes me feel like they aren't a good team yet (which they aren't).

But if the Pats come out and play to win and the good guys prevail, I'll be as happy as I can for now.

Imatexanfan
12-31-2009, 03:49 AM
We are 8-7...k...

We are 2nd in the AFC South...k...

IF we win against the Pats we will still be 2nd to the Colts...I can deal with that even at us not making the playoffs, hell we came from last to winning 3 straight and have us 2nd in our division. I admit I was pissed because of the loses this season with ummm Kris Brown and everything but hell we are a great team and we will be even better...w/o Brown...(I had to do it):mcnugget:

BigWig
12-31-2009, 08:22 AM
:laughjump:

This I gotta see, I have never see grandma take even a sip of booze.
Andy( Bullpen Photos) please take photos for us out of towners, thanks.

DeMarCushPoll
12-31-2009, 08:44 AM
NO, there's not.

Sorry to dampen your emotions.

9-7 and 8-8 are going to both end up doing the same thing: No playoffs.

10-6? That's a big deal.

9-7? "We finally have a winning season!"

We need a smiley where a happy face comes out, has a "blah" look on his face and throws a few scraps of confetti, blows a party favor, and then walks off.

9-7 IMO, is huge for a team that has never gotten there before. I could understand your thinking if we had been there and done that, but we haven't.

As far as the playoffs, the pats went 11-5 and missed the playoffs last year and the Cards went 9-7 and made it to the superbowl.

It's important to me because if we win on Sunday, I won't ever have to hear "The Texans have never had a winning season" again.

Onward and Upward!

Texan_Bill
12-31-2009, 08:51 AM
This I gotta see, I have never see grandma take even a sip of booze.
Andy( Bullpen Photos) please take photos for us out of towners, thanks.

Isn't Gma being hammered worth the drive in from Austin??

BIG TORO
12-31-2009, 08:53 AM
meh.......if we, as houston football fans, were to cry over all the spilt milk, then the entire water level of the planet would go up three feet.

The texans probably won't make the playoffs, they might not even get to 9-7 this year. I don't care, because i'll be back next season for more. All these debates about what coulda shoulda woulda get old after a while. I've been watching pro football since the late 60s, and we could do far worse than smith and kubiak. I've seen it. Kubiak is going way to slow for the talent level on this team for me. But it ain't all his fault.

I just don't see how some folks put it all on kubiak, when that just isn't the case.

well put! We will all be back next year!

Texan_Bill
12-31-2009, 09:30 AM

What? You weren't that impressed with Ed Biles, Chuck Studley or Hugh Campbell?? :spin:

Thorn
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
What? You weren't that impressed with Ed Biles, Chuck Studley or Hugh Campbell?? :spin:

OK, now I'm crying.

Vinny
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
all the air came out for me when we rolled into week 14 with 5 wins for the 3rd straight year. We have what amounts to the Denny Green Cardinals...so we have that going for us.

Double Barrel
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM

They had their first non-losing season in 1974/75, which was also their first trip to the playoffs. I'd imagine that Rockets fans were pretty happy with it at the time. (This was 8 years into their existence, btw. All losing seasons before this point.)

11 years into their existence, the Astros finally obtained a winning record of 84-69 (1972). I would figure that Astros fans were happy to finally get a winning record after a decade+ of futility.

Hyperbole at it's finest. I have yet to read any Texans fans suggesting such a celebration. If anything, it's a sigh of relief to finally get over the "no winning season" that still follows this franchise in year 8.

If they get to 9-7, good on 'em. This team needs to reach high. Aim for 6-0 in your division, 16-0 overall. If the first words out of your mouth after a loss are "ho hum, gee gosh, look at the film get 'em next week."

I don't disagree with you. The team does need to set it's sights high, and at this point, that would be beating the Patriots for a winning record and hoping 2 out of 3 teams lose. It's where we are at right now, so why not just enjoy the moment as a fan.

Fans will have a long off-season and plenty of time to stomp sour grapes and butt heads with each other. :shades:

GP
12-31-2009, 11:33 AM
all the air came out for me when we rolled into week 14 with 5 wins for the 3rd straight year. We have what amounts to the Denny Green Cardinals...so we have that going for us.

Losing all those divisional games did it for me. We won the first game with the Titans, then dropped the next FIVE divisional games. FIVE.

That was the last straw for this Texans fan.

If we had won at least TWO of the FIVE that we dropped, we're in great shape right now.

Oh well. Just more of the same from Gary Kubiak: Horseshoes and hand grenades!

DexmanC
12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Losing all those divisional games did it for me. We won the first game with the Titans, then dropped the next FIVE divisional games. FIVE.

If we had won at least TWO of the FIVE that we dropped, we're in great shape right now.

We've finished on 3-1 kicks to end the year for two years running. This
is the first time we have a shot to finish the year on a 4-0 kick!!! Whoo hoo!!
:sarcasm:

gary
12-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Just watch your back Brady.

Kimmy
12-31-2009, 01:33 PM

If they don't, we can all take one of these ...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2670/4232022020_b643982824_o.jpg

houstonspartan
12-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Co-sign. That's what did it for me. Those division games sucked the life out of me.

Thorn
12-31-2009, 03:31 PM

LOL. I've got a jar full of that stuff. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. If you can call what I am sane, that is. :spin:

bckey
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM

Co-sign for me also. The monday night game against the Titans was the worst. Two weeks and an extra day to prepare and they couldn't get it done when it mattered. The next 2 division losses were just icing on the cake. Now everyone wants to get excited about the same ol same ol. The AFC is bad this year and has all the wildcard wannabes down in our usual mediocre territory. Are we really going to be celebrating a great Kubiak win if we beat the Patriots backups? If the Patriots needed this game for any reason the Texans would be 8-8 once again and still might be anyway. But Bob will bring good old Gary back again. I just hope Bush can put together a defense so good it makes up for the fifth year of mistakes that Gary is sure to make. That is the only way the Texans will turn the corner under Kubiak.

bckey
12-31-2009, 03:58 PM

I'll need a couple of bottles this offseason with Kubiak coming back.

2slik4u
12-31-2009, 04:33 PM

I would want to win even if it were to screw us out of the #1 overall pick. Thats what you do when you root on your team, under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to be anything less than thrilled with any type of win.

Thats how winners are born and created. For us to get used to winning, we need to well, start with winning seasons.

A friend of mine (dc_txtech) said something to me the other day. For the first time in this franchises history, we are battling, in contention, or have a chance to make the playoffs in the final week of the season up to the final whistle blow of sunday at 6pm. normally by this time we already have our whole draft predicted by now.

Go ahead and bask in it fellas, for once, the Houston Texans and playoffs are in the same sentence.

2slik4u
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Co-sign for me also. The monday night game against the Titans was the worst. Two weeks and an extra day to prepare and they couldn't get it done when it mattered. The next 2 division losses were just icing on the cake. Now everyone wants to get excited about the same ol same ol. The AFC is bad this year and has all the wildcard wannabes down in our usual mediocre territory. Are we really going to be celebrating a great Kubiak win if we beat the Patriots backups? If the Patriots needed this game for any reason the Texans would be 8-8 once again and still might be anyway. But Bob will bring good old Gary back again. I just hope Bush can put together a defense so good it makes up for the fifth year of mistakes that Gary is sure to make. That is the only way the Texans will turn the corner under Kubiak.

by the way, according to www.espn.com, brady is playing. to tell you the truth I hope the whole team starts and plays the whole game. If we cant beat one of the best when it REALLY counts then we know we had no business in playoffs from the beginning.

Double Barrel
12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Are we really going to be celebrating a great Kubiak win if we beat the Patriots backups?

yeah, you're right, McNair should just fire the head coach after the franchise's first winning season. :strangle:

WWBAD?

It would not be a "great Kubiak win". It would be a milestone - however inconsequential to some - that many Texans fans have been waiting 8 years to experience.

And if for some reason the football gods smile on Houston and 2/3 teams that we need to lose, we should certainly refrain from any celebratory shenanigans because, you know, that's just how Texans fans roll. :fingergun:

p.s. I'm not saying we will or will not win this weekend, but I think some just can't appreciate the very small moment in time where we are actually talking about a playoff scenario for the Texans in week 17. Bask in it, enjoy it, because it probably won't last for long.

As for me: Texans fan > anti-Kubiak :howdy: although I am one in the same...

Brando
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM

Hope to see ya Sunday!!

Couldn't have said it better myself. +Rep

GP
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
What we need, on Sunday, is for or defense to really drill Tom Brady in the first possession they have.

Bill will pull Tom Brady pretty quick if he senses that we might get to Brady and hurt him.

Frank Bush should have his defense dialed into only one thing: GET BRADY!

However, I have a feeling that we'll play really conservative and try to not make a mistake. We'll play "The Kubiak Way" and Brady and Welker will pick us apart like Manning and Clark have done.

Throw in the Randy Moss factor, and it could be a long day.

Frank Bush needs to unleash hell on Tom Brady. Early and often.

b0ng
12-31-2009, 05:06 PM
This year the difference between 9-7 and 8-8 will be playoffs. Sure we can go 9-7 and miss (As I think will happen), but in no way would we even have a sniff if we go 8-8. Yes there will be a 9-7 AFC playoff team this year, there is no getting around that.

As far as will it make me feel better we went 9-7 instead of 8-8? A little, but only as much as one extra win will give you.

Big Lou
12-31-2009, 05:10 PM
What we need, on Sunday, is for or defense to really drill Tom Brady in the first possession they have.

Bill will pull Tom Brady pretty quick if he senses that we might get to Brady and hurt him.

Frank Bush should have his defense dialed into only one thing: GET BRADY!

However, I have a feeling that we'll play really conservative and try to not make a mistake. We'll play "The Kubiak Way" and Brady and Welker will pick us apart like Manning and Clark have done.

Throw in the Randy Moss factor, and it could be a long day.

Frank Bush needs to unleash hell on Tom Brady. Early and often.

Did you ever see that movie Road Trip? Remember when Tom Green was yelling at the snake:

I think they should have Pollard put a couple of alka seltzers in his mouth and then just crowd the LOS and bark at Brady like a rabid dog.

Demeco can keep yelling in the back, "Unleash the fury Bernard, unleash the fury!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYumJ2ruv0E

thunderkyss
12-31-2009, 06:33 PM

The goal for this team has always been Super Bowl. Bob McNair even stated he would be disappointed if we didn't go to the play-offs this year.

I'm sure every executive in the Texans Association feels that way, every coach, every player, & I damn sure know every fan will be disappointed if we don't make the play-offs.

But not to acknowledge & celebrate a franchise milestone seems a little silly.

thunderkyss
12-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I think the whole culture of sports has changed dramatically since the 60s.

Things back then moved slower. Building things took time. Then people started figuring out that the way they differentiated themselves from their competitors (in EVERY form of business or competition) was to do things a lot faster than their opponent.

Everything moves faster now.

It's just one thing to know that this year is gone, and that probably next year is going to bring more of the same.

I agree with you that things do move faster, & I agree that some people have an ability to build winning franchises in 4 years. I agree that some teams have dramatically turned around in even less time.

What I don't agree with, is that next year will be more of the same.

This team is growing right before our eyes, & while Kubiak's approach is slow...... it seems to be affective.

No doubt this team is getting better by the day.

IMHO, so what if it takes 5 years instead of 4. & yes, so what if it takes 6 or 7. Not that I think it will.

Kubiak has got this team going in the right direction, & until I see differently, I'm happy.

There have been just as many "proven" coaches move to new franchises, that weren't nerely as successful there.. I know the direction Kubiak is taking us, I believe it is the right direction.

I don't know which way Cowher will take this team. The Steelers had been mediocre for a long stretch of Cowher's tenure.

Mangini had "instant" success in NY, but he looks to be a complete failure in Clevland.

We're on the right track..... why rock the boat?

Thorn
12-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know, but I think thunderkyss is beginning to sway me to the kool aid side.

ObsiWan
12-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't know, but I think thunderkyss is beginning to sway me to the kool aid side.

No. Don't.
Drink.
the
Kool Aid!
:chili:

Thorn
12-31-2009, 07:47 PM
No. Don't.
Drink.
the
Kool Aid!
:chili:

A little kool aid, a little Jack Daniels, the next thing you know everything is wonderfull. Reminds me of the 70s during my long haired hippie days. Except that kool aid and Jack Daniels are legal.

Hummm.......nevermind.

axman40
12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
The Pats have Tom Brady!
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER !
The Pats have Randy moss!
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER !
The Pats have Coach Billacheater!
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3S_k1dRbXY
:fans:

Buffi2
12-31-2009, 07:51 PM
A little kool aid, a little Jack Daniels, the next thing you know everything is wonderfull. Reminds me of the 70s during my long haired hippie days. Except that kool aid and Jack Daniels are legal.

Hummm.......nevermind.

Ahhh, the good old days, I remember parts of them well.

The Pencil Neck
12-31-2009, 09:05 PM
I don't particularly want to argue about this because I think it's a lot like religion. A person believes what a person believes and their mind isn't going to be open to change.

But... I just want to state what my belief is.

I believe the Texans are a good team. I believe that they're getting better every year. I believe that we're getting deeper and more talented every year. A lot of teams can't say that. I believe the pieces are in place for this team to be a perennial powerhouse in the future. I believe our team is being built the right way and it's being built in a way that's different from the way most teams have been built recently and I believe that's going to make the success this team enjoys more enduring.

I believe that this year's team would destroy last year's team which would have destroyed the team from the year before.

It's the last week of the season and our team is still among the teams being discussed with a chance at the playoffs. I don't care if we finish 8-8, that's progress to me. If we finish 9-7, that's a milestone. That's finishing with a record that's good enough for the playoffs. That's progress.

Our defense has improved pretty dramatically. I'm happy about that. Our offense is bordering on elite. I'm happy about that.

I can't see any reason in the world to change things just to change things. Sure, if we get rid of everyone, we might have a season like the Falcons or the Dolphins had last year but couldn't re-create this year. But most 8-8 teams that change their coaches do worse the next year. And I don't want to do worse.

To me, changing coaches and front office staff now would be like playing poker and being dealt a pair and instead of asking for 3 cards, asking for 5 because you can't get a straight if you've drawn a pair.

For me, I'd prefer to have an 8-8 team than a 2-14 team. And I think we have a much bigger chance of having a 2-14 team if we change than if we stick with what we've got.

Some of you might call that "accepting mediocrity" but I disagree with your definition of mediocrity and I prefer to think of it as accepting long range goals.

:rant:

SheTexan
01-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Isn't Gma being hammered worth the drive in from Austin??

Thanks to the "white elephant" gift Shadow got for me at our tailgate, I have discovered Tequila Black, DAMN good stuff! lol Problem is, one or two shots and I am done for the day! A drinker I am NOT, so it doesn't take much. Maybe I'll get drunk AFTER the game, win or lose!

I think we need the parking lot nazi's from Reliant to allow us to stay on the lot until the last game of the playoff hunt has been decided. Nothing I would love more than to be able to celebrate a playoff spot with my fellow Texan friends!! We need to make that happen guys/gals!!

HJam72
01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't particularly want to argue about this because I think it's a lot like religion.

McNair is Ceiling Cow and YLRESSAC has been flushed. It was a big toilet...

:bubbles:

Lucky
01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
And I think we have a much bigger chance of having a 2-14 team if we change than if we stick with what we've got.

Some of you might call that "accepting mediocrity" but I disagree with your definition of mediocrity and I prefer to think of it as accepting long range goals.

:rant:
The 2-14 notion is absurd. This team has too much talent to go 2-14 next season. Dom Capers could take this team to an 8-8 record.

4 years is long range in the NFL. It's longer than the average NFL career. Longer than the average NFL contract. How many more years will it take for Kubiak to take this team to the playoffs? Will any of the current players still be under contract? Will someone in the Sunshine Club tell me what year I can expect a winner out of this coach?

Texan4Ever
01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Untill we get a better record against AFC South teams and divisional opponents, this team isn't going anywhere.

ObsiWan
01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
The 2-14 notion is absurd. This team has too much talent to go 2-14 next season. Dom Capers could take this team to an 8-8 record.

4 years is long range in the NFL. It's longer than the average NFL career. Longer than the average NFL contract. How many more years will it take for Kubiak to take this team to the playoffs? Will any of the current players still be under contract? Will someone in the Sunshine Club tell me what year I can expect a winner out of this coach?

Will one of you Soapers tell me what year the new coach will produce a playoff team?

Truth is, we both know that both questions are asinine.

None of us has a working crystal ball (if *I* did, I'd use it on Lotto numbers or the Stock Mkt anyway) :).

I get the feeling that Kubiak will get the same kind of offer that Fox got in Carolina. McNair invites him back next year and depending on how that goes maybe he gets a multiyear extension.

So, worse case (you guys are right and Kubiak's Kids backslide next year) you've only got next year to worry about. Best case, meaning the Sunshine Clubbers were right and we "get over the hump", its the start of a string of yearly playoff appearances and all the soap bars go away.

DexmanC
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Untill we get a better record against AFC South teams and divisional opponents, this team isn't going anywhere.

This is the fact the Sunshine Club keeps neglecting to expound apon. They
continue to make excuses, and gloss over this fact. Had we won three
more games in our division, and still wound up 8-7, we'd hold tiebreakers
over Denver AND Baltimore for the for the last wildcard. Our loss to the
Jets wouldn't even matter!

However, we don't know what a future coach would bring. We DO know that
we've only won SEVEN division games in FOUR YEARS!!! Rookie head coach,
Mike Singletary, is about to go 8-8 in his first full season as coach. He
will boast a 5-1 division record. It's a shame that in just ONE season, he's
two games shy of an accomplishment Kubiak has done in FOUR!

Our division record, and conference record have SUCKED under Kubiak. THAT
we do know. We keep reaching 8-8 thru pounding the weakest teams in
the AFC, and nearly sweeping the NFC. This is just not good enough. Look
at us HOPING Belichick pulls his starters so we can reach 8-8. The Patriots
are just the kind of team that KILL us when they play at full strength.

See the Colts, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots and Titans. Those are the teams that
are usually near the top of the conference, and against whom we have a
combined record of 3-17, in FOUR YEARS!!! How can we possibly expect
to improve, when we continue to make excuses for FAILURE!!??

DexmanC
01-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Will one of you Soapers tell me what year the new coach will produce a playoff team?

Truth is, we both know that both questions are asinine.

None of us has a working crystal ball (if *I* did, I'd use it on Lotto numbers or the Stock Mkt anyway) :).

I get the feeling that Kubiak will get the same kind of offer that Fox got in Carolina. McNair invites him back next year and depending on how that goes maybe he gets a multiyear extension.

So, worse case (you guys are right and Kubiak's Kids backslide next year) you've only got next year to worry about. Best case, meaning the Sunshine Clubbers were right and we "get over the hump", its the start of a string of yearly playoff appearances and all the soap bars go away.

This is the case I hope I'm wrong about, but doubt I am. The evidence,
your honor, is OVERWHELMING. Please peruse exhibits A-Z; 1-Infinity.

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Like I said, I think we have a greater chance of going 2-14 if we make a HC/FO change than if we stick with what we've got. If we change our Head Coach, he's going to bring in his coordinators and we'll probably switch GM's.

A new HC with a new view on how things should be done means a greater chance of him coming in and cleaning house to get players that fit his offensive and defensive scheme or using players from the old scheme in ways that they're not particularly suited for.

I'm not saying that we will go 2-14 with a new coach but that our chances for failure increase if we make this change. I don't see any way this team finishes with a losing record if we keep Kubiak (I expect 10-11 wins next year) but I would expect us to go 6-10 or 7-9 if we change coaches.

BTW, I predicted 9-7 this year.

Lucky
01-01-2010, 03:00 PM
BTW, I predicted 9-7 this year.
I hope you're able to cash that prediction in Vegas. Other than that, what does that have to do with the debate? If you predicted 9-7, then that makes it all good?

Is the sun more likely to rise out of the north, or the south? What's the point of that question? That's how your 2-14 remark comes off.

thunderkyss
01-01-2010, 03:00 PM
This is the fact the Sunshine Club keeps neglecting to expound apon. They
continue to make excuses, and gloss over this fact.

No one is glossing over this. You're right, we know it. We screwed the pooch & should have won more division games.

We just don't believe that is reason to fire Kubiak.

Had we won three
more games in our division, and still wound up 8-7, we'd hold tiebreakers
over Denver AND Baltimore for the for the last wildcard. Our loss to the
Jets wouldn't even matter!

Well, I never looked at it that way. Still doesn't change my mind.

However, we don't know what a future coach would bring. We DO know that
we've only won SEVEN division games in FOUR YEARS!!! Rookie head coach,

Not a good record... we know. We believe it will get better.

Mike Singletary, is about to go 8-8 in his first full season as coach. He
will boast a 5-1 division record. It's a shame that in just ONE season, he's
two games shy of an accomplishment Kubiak has done in FOUR!

You act like all divisions are the same. You're smarter than that. SF is in the weakest division of all, we're in the strongest.

Our division record, and conference record have SUCKED under Kubiak. THAT
we do know. We keep reaching 8-8 thru pounding the weakest teams in
the AFC, and nearly sweeping the NFC. This is just not good enough. Look
at us HOPING Belichick pulls his starters so we can reach 8-8. The Patriots
are just the kind of team that KILL us when they play at full strength.

See the Colts, Chargers, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots and Titans. Those are the teams that
are usually near the top of the conference, and against whom we have a
combined record of 3-17, in FOUR YEARS!!! How can we possibly expect
to improve, when we continue to make excuses for FAILURE!!??

No one is making excuses. Everyone else sees improvement on this team, that we credit Kubiak for. For us, the improvement means far more than the facts you repeat adnaseum.

We Suck, We have Sucked for a long time. We don't believe we'll suck in the future.

So go on & tell me how bad we are this year.

I'll agree, we still suck.

Tell me how bad we were in the past, I agree again.

You're looking at the ass end of progress. We all know we aren't there yet.

DexmanC
01-01-2010, 03:53 PM
No one is glossing over this. You're right, we know it. We screwed the pooch & should have won more division games.

We just don't believe that is reason to fire Kubiak.

Well, I never looked at it that way. Still doesn't change my mind.

Not a good record... we know. We believe it will get better.

You act like all divisions are the same. You're smarter than that. SF is in the weakest division of all, we're in the strongest.

No one is making excuses. Everyone else sees improvement on this team, that we credit Kubiak for. For us, the improvement means far more than the facts you repeat adnaseum.

We Suck, We have Sucked for a long time. We don't believe we'll suck in the future.

So go on & tell me how bad we are this year.

I'll agree, we still suck.

Tell me how bad we were in the past, I agree again.

You're looking at the ass end of progress. We all know we aren't there yet.

We haven't sucked, OVERALL, in 3 years. However, consistently stinking
up the division, and excusing away losses to teams like the Titans and Jags
because "Peyton plays here" is rediculous. We're running in place, and Kubiak
isn't the guy to propel us forward. I'm not indicting the TEAM, just its leader,
who needs to be replaced for this team to move in the direction it needs to.

Kubiak's a loveable guy, but he hasn't given us TANGIBLE progress in 3 years.
We're 8-7 like a lot of teams, but we hold no tiebreakers because of losses
in-division. 1-5 in your division means you've lost 5 of your 12 conference
games. If we say our team was less talented in 2006, how can you explain
us going 3-3 in the division with scrubs all over the field, HWSNBN at QB,
and Ron Dayne at RB? We have a much better talent pool here now, and
the best we could do since is 1-5 (twice) and 2-4.

If you argue that we are improving in most areas, you must also admit
that we've regressed in the most important of other areas.

gary
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
We haven't sucked, OVERALL, in 3 years. However, consistently stinking
up the division, and excusing away losses to teams like the Titans and Jags
because "Peyton plays here" is rediculous. We're running in place, and Kubiak
isn't the guy to propel us forward. I'm not indicting the TEAM, just its leader,
who needs to be replaced for this team to move in the direction it needs to.

Kubiak's a loveable guy, but he hasn't given us TANGIBLE progress in 3 years.
We're 8-7 like a lot of teams, but we hold no tiebreakers because of losses
in-division. 1-5 in your division means you've lost 5 of your 12 conference
games. If we say our team was less talented in 2006, how can you explain
us going 3-3 in the division with scrubs all over the field, HWSNBN at QB,
and Ron Dayne at RB? We have a much better talent pool here now, and
the best we could do since is 1-5 (twice) and 2-4.

If you argue that we are improving in most areas, you must also admit
that we've regressed in the most important of other areas.Shhhhhhhhhh they'll get it next season son. LOL

The Pencil Neck
01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I hope you're able to cash that prediction in Vegas. Other than that, what does that have to do with the debate? If you predicted 9-7, then that makes it all good?

Is the sun more likely to rise out of the north, or the south? What's the point of that question? That's how your 2-14 remark comes off.
My 2-14 remark was referring to the place this team was in when Kubes took over. My point, that you seem to be totally missing, is that we have a greater CHANCE of failure (as symbolized by 2-14) is greater with change than with stability.

My point in referring to my prediction (which was just an aside) was that my expectations were pretty close to being in line with what we've got and maybe that's not why I'm pissed off like some of you guys.

IIRC, guys like Second Honeymoon were predicting a 6-10 or 5-11 season. So, I can understand them being upset because they wanted the Texans to tank and they didn't.

Some other guys may be ticked off because they expected this team to go 12-4 and get into the playoffs and dominate every team in the league. And I think those guys might be looking for Kubes' head because they had unrealistic expectations as well.

I don't know. I was just putting it out there.