PDA

View Full Version : Last weeks play calling

El Tejano
12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
We've blasted both Kubiak and Shanahan for the half back pass call and the inability to score from the one. I was wondering what you all thought about his decision early in the game to go for it on 4th and 1 and have it go for a TD.

I thought that took some cajones because I never like going for it early in the red zone on the road.

Ndevine7
12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
We've blasted both Kubiak and Shanahan for the half back pass call and the inability to score from the one. I was wondering what you all thought about his decision early in the game to go for it on 4th and 1 and have it go for a TD.

I thought that took some cajones because I never like going for it early in the red zone on the road.

i think that it was such an important game that kubiak and shanahan were willing to try anything to get the win and i feel that despite it being a disappointing season kubiak and shanahan are not solely to blame and i feel that they should both stay

TheRealJoker
12-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Obviously the play call worked out...

Regardless though I would've been on board with the call even had it not worked because we decided to try and get the ball to our best player (AJ) and have it thrown by our best passer (Schaub). It was a call that needed to be made early on the road against a team playing for playoffs.

We miss and the crowd will be in a frenzy, we make it then we quiet the crowd down a bit and take momentum.

It was a refreshing change to see us throw it to AJ deep in their territory on an important play.

Goatcheese
12-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I've been surprised Kubes hasn't been going for it on 4th down more.

The Texans had the 2nd most 4th down attempts last year, but this year they're down to 26th, even though their coversion rate is up from 61% to 73%.

Malloy
12-31-2009, 04:52 AM
Only thing that irritated me about that specific play is that we didnt see it before fourth down. Do it on first, break away from the 'goal-line run up the gut...'

Oh, and the second half I'm still not too happy about, yet again, again,again we let a team get real close to coming back for the win. We've gotta keep pushing for all four quarters on the offense, if we do that we'll have 2-digit W's next season.

DeMarCushPoll
12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
I've been surprised Kubes hasn't been going for it on 4th down more.

The Texans had the 2nd most 4th down attempts last year, but this year they're down to 26th, even though their coversion rate is up from 61% to 73%.

It's probably due to the lack of a running game.

Corrosion
12-31-2009, 10:15 PM

Had that failed the entire board would have blasted him .... It was a gutsy call. One that might have played a big part in him keeping his job another year.

infantrycak
01-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Had that failed the entire board would have blasted him .... It was a gutsy call. One that might have played a big part in him keeping his job another year.

Because it worked. People seem to think decision making comes with known results. It doesn't. The half back pass would have been no smarter if the result was a TD but the perception of the call sure would be different.

TheRealJoker
01-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Because it worked. People seem to think decision making comes with known results. It doesn't. The half back pass would have been no smarter if the result was a TD but the perception of the call sure would be different.

The halfback pass wouldn't be smarter regardless.... There's a big difference between having your pro bowl alternate QB throw to your best player rather than having your worst RB throw the ball to MAYBE your replacement TE.

PS: Does anyone know for sure who doo doo Brown was throwing to?

ObsiWan
01-01-2010, 11:29 AM

This is what I don't get about our "informed fandom".
People keep saying Kubiak "shut down" the offense in the 2nd half. I rewatched the game and looked at the play calling; we were still mixing runs with passes. We picked up first downs on most all the 3rd qtr drives.

I could go on, but the point is this. The things that were working like clockwork in the 1st half were just off enough to miss in the second half. There's no evidence that Shanny/Kubiak "shut the offense down" in the 2nd half.

JB
01-01-2010, 12:01 PM
The halfback pass wouldn't be smarter regardless.... There's a big difference between having your pro bowl alternate QB throw to your best player rather than having your worst RB throw the ball to MAYBE your replacement TE.

PS: Does anyone know for sure who doo doo Brown was throwing to?

He was supposed to throw to Dreesen who was all alone in the back of the end zone....

he just forgot the uniform & number of the right guy

Goldensilence
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
First half pretty good, second half went into their shell on offense and nearly allowed Miami to come back.

The trend continues to bother me.