PDA

View Full Version : four quarters

rickyb
12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Until the Texans start playing 60 minutes of football, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to make the playoffs.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party. I am a fan, but I am also loathe to ignore what my eyes can see.

TEXANS84
12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
If they don't play 4 quarters of football against the New England Patriots, then we will not win.

thunderkyss
12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Sorry to throw cold water on the party.

eeeeehhhhhh Yeah, you're throwing cold water on this party with this original thought.

Read some other threads, you aren't the only one.

dtran04
12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
What team does "play for 60 minutes"? Definitely not the Colts, they were down in the 4th quarter in about half of their games. That means they didn't play for a whole 3 quarters until they decided to play in the 4th. They seem to do okay only playing 1 quarter.

:)

DeMarCushPoll
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Until the Texans start playing 60 minutes of football, I don't have a lot of confidence in their ability to make the playoffs.

Sorry to throw cold water on the party. I am a fan, but I am also loathe to ignore what my eyes can see.

You people took a life here today, the life of the party.

Michael Scott

Ryan
12-30-2009, 02:17 PM
If we made the playoffs by some sort of miracle, we'd probably be one of the most dangerous teams that people would not want to play.

HOU-TEX
12-30-2009, 02:18 PM
What team does "play for 60 minutes"? Definitely not the Colts, they were down in the 4th quarter in about half of their games. That means they didn't play for a whole 3 quarters until they decided to play in the 4th. They seem to do okay only playing 1 quarter.

I think everyone understands how hard it is to play a complete game, but it's obvious with the Texans how divided each game has been. It's almost like two different teams show up on game day. One team will destroy the opponent and then the other team comes out and lays an egg.

Texans - A true Jekyll and Hyde team

barrett
12-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I will admit that in the past I have often times found myself watching late games after a loss and thinking "these teams play on a completely different level".

But as the season has gone on I've noticed this about our Texans, they are very streaky. I think you see many teams that are much more erratic from play to play whereas the Texans seem to be much more consistent. Last week for example Schaub is pretty much lazer accurate in the first half and in the second he's off on his deep out routes 3 or 4 times. Everyone is making catches in the first half and then #12 is dropping passes that are in his hands.

Think about how rare it is to see Schaub miss fire or throw behind a guy unless it's specifically to turn his body away from the db. I think other teams are much MUCH more erratic. We just tend to do it all at once.

DeMarCushPoll
12-30-2009, 02:41 PM

I agree 100%, all these people that talk about the Texans only play half a game is just garbage. It is very rare in the NFL or any other pro sport, for one team to completely dominate a game from beginning to end. And usually when it does happen it's only because the other team basically has given up and flat out quites at some point (Pat-59 Ten-0).

thunderkyss
12-30-2009, 02:56 PM
If we made the playoffs by some sort of miracle, we'd probably be one of the most dangerous teams that people would not want to play.

I would like to have seen Arian Foster earlier in the year. But if we do make the play-offs, it's nice to know he is getting some carries now.

We may turn out to be that Arizona Cardinals this year. No running game in the regular season, then it comes out of nowhere in the play-offs.

We would be hard to stop, & the sky's the limit.

thunderkyss
12-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I agree 100%, all these people that talk about the Texans only play half a game is just garbage. It is very rare in the NFL or any other pro sport, for one team to completely dominate a game from beginning to end. And usually when it does happen it's only because the other team basically has given up and flat out quites at some point (Pat-59 Ten-0).

I don't thin anyone is expecting us to score on every possession, but to go from 27 points in the first half against Miami, with wide open receivers & huge running lanes, to no points, & turnover, punt, punt, turnover.... is not what other teams are doing.

This is definitely a problem (not one that I think Kubiak should be fired over) & needs to be fixed if we're going to win against good teams.

if we score 27 points in the first half, we should be able to score at least once in the second half. If it weren't for our defense playing 4 Qtrs (an improvement) we would have lost that game.

thunderkyss
12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
We lost games against Tennessee, twice to Jacksonville, & twice to Indy, but they were some of our best games of the year. Those games were as complete a game as the Texans have played all year.

Those games were literally 2 or 3 plays from complete.

Norg
12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
i think these week we can play 4 quarters of football and still not make the playoffs we are in a hole

Are playoffs hopes relay on Oakland and KC .........

and Carson palmers brother .....

i dont like our chances

El Tejano
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
i think these week we can play 4 quarters of football and still not make the playoffs we are in a hole

Are playoffs hopes relay on Oakland and KC .........

and Carson palmers brother .....

i dont like our chances

That's why you don't tell our team to play for the playoffs. You tell them to play for a 9-7 record that will be the team's first ever winning season. You tell them that the game against New England is our Super Bowl.

TheRealJoker
12-30-2009, 04:16 PM
We lost games against Tennessee, twice to Jacksonville, & twice to Indy, but they were some of our best games of the year. Those games were as complete a game as the Texans have played all year.

I wouldn't call the 2nd Jax game a complete game... we were on our way to a blowout loss until Schaub got back in the game and righted the ship on offense.

imatexan
12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Have not heard this before.

:thinking:

But we have played 4 quarters in the Buf,Oak, and Cincy game.

No question we need to work on playing all 4 quarters hard but we have done it several times this season, but not recently.

Ryan
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't call the 2nd Jax game a complete game... we were on our way to a blowout loss until Schaub got back in the game and righted the ship on offense.

i couldn't really call the first jax game close to one either...our defense still was struggling alot.

rickyb
12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
eeeeehhhhhh Yeah, you're throwing cold water on this party with this original thought.

Read some other threads, you aren't the only one.

I never claimed to be the only one. I do, however, claim to be respectful of each others' time by making it apparent from the thread title that this (ie, four quarters worth of effort) was what I was hoping to discuss.

But thank you for taking the time to contribute to the discussion.

Someone made the valid point that there are instances in which the Texans played 60 minutes. Add my name to the list of folks who have a beef with lack of consistency.

thunderkyss
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry to throw cold water on your party

basically you're saying that we've been partying.

Now that you've thrown cold water on the party...... I'm guessing that you're statement about playing 60 minutes was that "cold water"

If you thought there were others who have said the same thing,
1. Why would you start a new thread?
2. Why would we still be "partying" ?

I'm sorry that you are loathe though..... what does that mean?

But tell you what, I'll try to help you out, because I'm just that kind of guy.

Do you think the Texans take their foot off the gas...... insinuating a yellow belly coaching style not appreciated around these parts, or

Do you think the Texans shoot themselves in the foot...... insinuating the players make poor decisions at inopportune times?
Surely you weren't under the impression that we were still partying if we were already told

Malloy
12-31-2009, 06:08 AM
In most of our games I see two problems.

1: We're young, meaning that we lose concentration and get sloppy once we feel that we're 'winning'

2: Once up we start calling more conservative plays, mostly running plays, but our lack of effective running plays means alot of punts and in turn a bad second half TOP.

#1, Some is coachable, alot has to do with experience.
#2, That's all coaching.

We take care of these two issues and we'll whip out 'complete games' all the time.

qman_tx
12-31-2009, 07:56 AM

-At home against Indy doesnt cross your mind? 17 to 0 in the first quarter, then blowing it all up.

-On the road at Jax, slow first half. Playing catch up.

DeMarCushPoll
12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't thin anyone is expecting us to score on every possession, but to go from 27 points in the first half against Miami, with wide open receivers & huge running lanes, to no points, & turnover, punt, punt, turnover.... is not what other teams are doing.

This is definitely a problem (not one that I think Kubiak should be fired over) & needs to be fixed if we're going to win against good teams.

if we score 27 points in the first half, we should be able to score at least once in the second half. If it weren't for our defense playing 4 Qtrs (an improvement) we would have lost that game.

I agree there is a problem and it will all be fixed with an improved running game. My point to this was about the people that talk as if the Texans go in at halftime with a lead and smoke a vistory cigar and lay down in the 2nd half, which is just not true. People fail to realize that the other teams make adjustments at half time to shutdown and close off what was wide open in the first half. With no running game, it becomes extremely difficult for us to make adjustments becuase there's nothing adjust to. If the other team is shutting off those passing lanes and the RB can't get more than 2.3 YPC then that means either a 3 and out or Schaub trying to force the ball into tight coverage and winds up throwing an interception.

If we get a stud RB in the offseason and a healthy offensive line, this subject will probably never come up again.

I also think we'll have a top ten defense from day one.

Imagine the possibilities.

thunderkyss
12-31-2009, 08:49 AM
(ie, four quarters worth of effort) was what I was hoping to discuss.

Someone made the valid point that there are instances in which the Texans played 60 minutes. Add my name to the list of folks who have a beef with lack of consistency.

In our first game against Indy, Indy didn't score anything in the 3rd Qtr.. they only scored 7 points in the second half, opposed to 13 in the first half. Are they inconsistent? Are they not putting forth an effort for 4 Qtrs?

Or is there a defensive team on the other side of the ball trying to put together 60 minutes of play against them?

If the refs had made the right call, and we kept possession of the ball after Moats' fumble, we could have added another 7 points to our first half score, & we win that game (all other things being equal).

If we were to get that call, if we would have scored, if we would have won that game, would the "effort" been satisfactory?

They turned it over on downs their first possession, surely our defense put up enough effort there?

Matt Schaub was sacked on our first play from scrimmage.. the bubble screen to AJ was sniffed & snuffed, & the screen to Moats only picked up 7 yards. We go 3 & out, but there was effort there.

The Colts score 27 points per game, we held them to 20... effort right?

They allow 18 points per game, we scored 17... effort?

I'm just not really understanding the "effort" argument. It's not like our guys lay down.

DeMarCushPoll
12-31-2009, 09:23 AM
I never claimed to be the only one. I do, however, claim to be respectful of each others' time by making it apparent from the thread title that this (ie, four quarters worth of effort) was what I was hoping to discuss.

I don't think there's a lack of effort at all.

Offensive issues are due to a lack of balance. It's that simple.

It took three games for the defense to adjust to a new DC/system which is outstanding IMO. Since week 3 we've held apponents to an avg 85.1 YPG in rushing. During that time we faced 5 of the league's top ten leading RBs and held them to an avg 77.6 YPG. You don't accomplish that with lack of effort.

Steven Jackson - 82
MJD - 76
Ced Ben - 44
Ricky Williams - 35
Chris Johnson - 151

I just don't see a lack of effort from this team.

rickyb
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
basically you're saying that we've been partying.

Now that you've thrown cold water on the party...... I'm guessing that you're statement about playing 60 minutes was that "cold water"

If you thought there were others who have said the same thing,
1. Why would you start a new thread?
2. Why would we still be "partying" ?

I'm sorry that you are loathe though..... what does that mean?

But tell you what, I'll try to help you out, because I'm just that kind of guy.

Do you think the Texans take their foot off the gas...... insinuating a yellow belly coaching style not appreciated around these parts, or

Do you think the Texans shoot themselves in the foot...... insinuating the players make poor decisions at inopportune times?
Surely you weren't under the impression that we were still partying if we were already told

Partyers = those fixated on playoffs. At this point, even if the Texans make the playoffs, I am not happy. Lack of consistency. Lack of ability to crush the larynx when their proverbial foot is on the throat. No more hanging on by the nails for a victory against opponents of inferior quality.

I already answered the question about starting a new thread.

Our Texans are missing something. Unless you are privy to the locker room, then I suppose you and I both are left in the same boat, left to guess at what that missing element is. Thoughts that come to my mind: 1) conservative play calling ("run and hide"), 2) not making adjustments at halftime, in anticipation of the opponent's making adjustments to assuage (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/assuage)the Texans' first half assault, and 3) complacency or lack of killer instinct.

rickyb
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
-At home against Indy doesnt cross your mind? 17 to 0 in the first quarter, then blowing it all up.

-On the road at Jax, slow first half. Playing catch up.

Indy and Miami were on my mind when I posted.

rickyb
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
In our first game against Indy, Indy didn't score anything in the 3rd Qtr.. they only scored 7 points in the second half, opposed to 13 in the first half. Are they inconsistent? Are they not putting forth an effort for 4 Qtrs?

Or is there a defensive team on the other side of the ball trying to put together 60 minutes of play against them?

If the refs had made the right call, and we kept possession of the ball after Moats' fumble, we could have added another 7 points to our first half score, & we win that game (all other things being equal).

If we were to get that call, if we would have scored, if we would have won that game, would the "effort" been satisfactory?

They turned it over on downs their first possession, surely our defense put up enough effort there?

Matt Schaub was sacked on our first play from scrimmage.. the bubble screen to AJ was sniffed & snuffed, & the screen to Moats only picked up 7 yards. We go 3 & out, but there was effort there.

The Colts score 27 points per game, we held them to 20... effort right?

They allow 18 points per game, we scored 17... effort?

I'm just not really understanding the "effort" argument. It's not like our guys lay down.

Let me borrow a phrase from a poster then...

If a team can score 27 points in the first half, then is it unreasonable to expect at least 1 TD in the second half? :photos:

Perhaps EXECUTION or ADJUSTMENT are better suited to the discussion than EFFORT.

rickyb
01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't think there's a lack of effort at all.

Offensive issues are due to a lack of balance. It's that simple.

It took three games for the defense to adjust to a new DC/system which is outstanding IMO. Since week 3 we've held apponents to an avg 85.1 YPG in rushing. During that time we faced 5 of the league's top ten leading RBs and held them to an avg 77.6 YPG. You don't accomplish that with lack of effort.

Steven Jackson - 82
MJD - 76
Ced Ben - 44
Ricky Williams - 35
Chris Johnson - 151

I just don't see a lack of effort from this team.

I agree with the two statements which I bolded.

I have less of a problem with defense than I do offense. We are long-suffering at center (opinion,shared by many but not all), and I recognize as do you all that our injuries at guard have hurt.