PDA

View Full Version : How badly do the Pats want the 3rd seed?

TheRealJoker
12-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you think they'd be willing to play key players the whole game to beat us and clinch the 3 seed? If this were to happen they'd have a better chance at hosting the AFC championship and ensure they get to play the 6th seed in the first round.

From what I read of Marvin Lewis transcript, it seems like if the 3 seed is on the line at night they just might play their starters for a win on Sunday night:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Marvin-Lewis-Press-Conference-Transcript/ab9be1f9-e2c8-4605-bab3-18aa0c0635f2

Q: Will you err on the side of caution this weekend against the Jets by resting some players, or will you just continue playing the way you’ve been playing?
ML: “It will be another Sunday for us. I’ll make those adjustments later in the week, and as we go. We’re going to approach it as a game we need to win.”

Q: Could you adjust that plan even on Sunday after the early games?
ML: “It could.”

Thoughts?

gwallaia
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
This thread should be retitled, "How badly do the Texans want the 6th seed?"

Double Barrel
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Thoughts?

Go Bengals!! :clap:

TheCD
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I think they'll play their starters...at least I hope they do. I really think we're going to win this one, and if we get in it will be a good precursor to the playoffs, in which either way we'll be playing a team we've already beaten once (Cincy/Pats). I think if we get in and the Bengals lose, we might actually have momentum against the Patriots again, regardless of whether they play their starters or not.

TheRealJoker
12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
This thread should be retitled, "How badly do the Texans want the 6th seed?"

I hope the Bengals will be fighting for the 3rd seed on Sunday Night Football like the Texans fought for the 6th seed with a hard fought victory in Reliant Stadium over the Pats!!!

Maddict5
12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
I hope the Bengals will be fighting for the 3rd seed on Sunday Night Football like the Texans fought for the 6th seed with a hard fought victory in Reliant Stadium over the Pats!!!

if one of the 4pm games dont go our way, none of us will be watching that SNF game anyway

Ryan
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
God this just makes me hate the Colts even more.

texanmojo
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34621954/ns/sports-player_news/

"Coach Bill Belichick suggested Tuesday that the Patriots will not be resting healthy starters against the Texans this week."

Looks like its gonna be a tough weekend...

redwhiteANDblue
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
I think Texans have shown they can keep up with any team in the NFL and the Pats aren't looking superhuman this year. So if the Texans are really desperate to show they want their coach and WANT to show the fans that they are capable of having a winning season, we will win!:)

infantrycak
12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
I think Texans have shown they can keep up with any team in the NFL and the Pats aren't looking superhuman this year.

Exactly. The Colts are clearly better than the Pats this year and we took them to the wire twice. I don't understand the throw in the towel attitude of some.

Porky
12-29-2009, 06:09 PM

"Coach Bill Belichick suggested Tuesday that the Patriots will not be resting healthy starters against the Texans this week."

Good. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. And I think it cheapens and disrespects the game to turn it into a glorified exhibition game. And a pox on the Colts house.

Norg
12-29-2009, 06:10 PM
all these teams now are saying game time decesion or more like min to min decesion

if the texans are wipping up on the pats like 30 to 6 then iam sure THe pats will stay into the game intill the 4th quarter either they will continue to play to get there mojo going and prove to themselfs they can drive down the field or they might throw in the towl

frankily i dont care what the pats do i just hope WE play 4 quarters of clean physical smart football

Norg
12-29-2009, 06:10 PM

if the texans are mad blitzing Brady iam sure something will happen

NitroGSXR
12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
if one of the 4pm games dont go our way, none of us will be watching that SNF game anyway

Sure we would! We only need one to succeed to keep our hopes alive. We'll even be watching if both of our four o'clock games win. I'd love me a number five seeding.

TheRealJoker
12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I hope the Pats play their best. If we somehow make the playoffs all signs point to an immediate rematch the very next weekend. What better way to get a mental edge over them than beating them at their best the week earlier?

Texan_Bill
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Belichick: ‘Whoever plays, plays’
Posted: December 29th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

Around the league, a handful of coaches are dealing with the same end-of-season dilemma — and the questions that accompany it — of how much to play their starters, or at least players who are less than 100 percent, in Week 17 games where playoff seeding has been decided. You can make an argument the scenario is playing out in San Diego, New Orleans and Cincinnati. And we already know about Indianapolis.

True to form, Patriots coach Bill Belichick isn’t revealing anything about how much his key players will play against the Texans. The Patriots — like the Bengals — aren’t locked into a playoff seed, but will either be the No. 3 or 4 seed, and will have a road playoff game in the divisional round.

Belichick said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday he hasn’t had that discussion with his staff.

“I wouldn’t even anticipate doing it, having that discussion right now,” Belichick said. “What’s going to happen now is we’re going to go through the game plan, players will come in tomorrow, and everyone is going to get ready to play. And that’s how we’re going to approach it. Whoever plays, plays. Whoever doesn’t play, doesn’t play. But it’s like that every week. We could go out there and on the first play of th game something could happen and somebody else could be in there.

“Everyone needs to be ready to go all of the time.”

Linky: Belichick: ‘Whoever plays, plays’
(http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/29/belichick-whoever-plays-plays/)

I'm not sure what to make of his comments.

Thorn
12-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Exactly. The Colts are clearly better than the Pats this year and we took them to the wire twice. I don't understand the throw in the towel attitude of some.

My feelings as well. I see no reason why we can't beat the Pats.

Goldensilence
12-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Texans have shown they can keep up with any team in the NFL and the Pats aren't looking superhuman this year. So if the Texans are really desperate to show they want their coach and WANT to show the fans that they are capable of having a winning season, we will win!:)

Can the Texans play with NE? Certainly. Are the Pats more beatable this year? Certainly. However, the team is still more then capable of coming out and putting a beat down on any team.

My big concern is that the past few weeks we've slipped by some not so great teams and went into run out the clock mode in the second half. This team cannot do that against the Pats. If they want to win this game they better show up to play 60 minutes and be prepared to go against a team that will be prepared to play. 3-4 defenses also concern me with this team.

That said, I'd be happy if the team manages to squeak out a win!

Maddict5
12-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Sure we would! We only need one to succeed to keep our hopes alive. We'll even be watching if both of our four o'clock games win. I'd love me a number five seeding.

i think you misread my post

Double Barrel
12-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Keeping up with good teams and beating good teams are two different subjects.

That being said, I think the Texans have a shot of beating the Patriots this weekend, but it will depend on how many quarters they come to play.

HJam72
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
They'll play their starters until we are up by a significant margin with about 10 minutes to go in the 4th. Then they'll give it up. It's those other games that are gonna kill us.

HJam72
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
We're playing at home, technically for a playoff birth (chance). IIRC, the Pats are bad on the road this year (for them, anyway). I bet our D-Line shows up like never before. No plays off.

Goldensilence
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Curious. I don't know the math but, are the Texans playing as well for the finishing #2 in the division for the first time?

If we lose how much does the divisional record play in deciding who finishes ahead of who if the titans and Jags both win and finish 8-8? Could be compound the finish to the season. Finish 8-8 again and last in the division?

Fred
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Curious. I don't know the math but, are the Texans playing as well for the finishing #2 in the division for the first time?

If we lose how much does the divisional record play in deciding who finishes ahead of who if the titans and Jags both win and finish 8-8? Could be compound the finish to the season. Finish 8-8 again and last in the division?

Yes. If we win we are #2 in the division (with a 1-5 record, LOL). Jax has the tiebreaker against Ten and us. Ten has the tiebreaker against us. So if we lose and both of them win, we are #4. If one wins, we are #3. If both lose we are #2.

HJam72
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM

Yes. We finish 2nd in our division for the first time, with a winning record for the first time, and possibly make the playoffs....or we could come in LAST place again. I hate our division. 'Course, we could blow it for an easier schedule next year and a little better draft picks, LOL--oh, and a new HC. :foottap:

Fred
12-29-2009, 07:37 PM
'Course, we could blow it for an easier schedule next year and a little better draft picks, LOL--oh, and a new HC. :foottap:

NO NO NO! Not another home game against Cleveland! Of course, if Jax or Ten loses then we avoid the Browns and ... a new HC.... hhhhhmmm....

OzzO
12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Shut down Moss early and get his head out of the game.

edo783
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
IMO, there probably isn't enough of a difference between the 3 & 4 spots to make it worth the extra effort. However, given all the issues that precipitated out of the Colts lay down, they may just decide to put the full effort in to it.

Maddict5
12-29-2009, 08:46 PM

if we lose (of course i hope not) i hope that does happen:

it'll be the difference between playing ravens/steelers & Jets (w/ kris jenkins) next yr or the browns & bills

Wolf
12-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I am more of a person that doesn't want any favors... Patriots .. bring your A game and lets go.. I don't want to get in because some team played their jv and we played our starters.. yes I know it stinks.. because I do feel the jets caught it just right .. Colts took starters out.. Cincy.. not sure what they have to play for ..

I feel for the Texans to become the best, they have to learn how to beat the best. regular season or not

DexmanC
12-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Maybe it's because our coach stares into the Denny's menu, and Belichick
is known to go for the juggular.

infantrycak
12-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Maybe it's because our coach stares into the Denny's menu, and Belichick
is known to go for the juggular.

Oooh look, another Denny's menu reference. It was dumb the first time it was trotted out since virtually every HC in the league uses one and it is particularly dumb in its 7000th repetition.

DexmanC
12-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Oooh look, another Denny's menu reference. It was dumb the first time it was trotted out since virtually every HC in the league uses one and it is particularly dumb in its 7000th repetition.

Temper, temper. Take a deep breath, and another sip of Battle-Red Kool-Aid.
:clown::clown::clown:
http://i50.tinypic.com/vhdb0j.jpg

infantrycak
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
:clown::clown::clown:

No temper. It's just a silly comment.

I would agree Belichick is more go for the throat than any other NFL HC I can think of.

DexmanC
12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
No temper. It's just a silly comment.

I would agree Belichick is more go for the throat than any other NFL HC I can think of.

Hopefully the Texans are focused for the first time all season at home. If
Belichick senses weakness, we could EASILY take a 59-0 drubbing. He'll
exploit the same hole all game long if we let him.

infantrycak
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Hopefully the Texans are focused for the first time all season at home. If
Belichick senses weakness, we could EASILY take a 59-0 drubbing. He'll
exploit the same hole all game long if we let him.

I agree with that. I think Bush is going to have to dial up some serious blitz scheming because I don't like the secondary matchup. I'd like to see Reeves on Moss all game long (not that he can really cover him but he can stay close enough to dissuade some passes) but that probably won't happen.

sometexansfan
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
If the Texans do take care of the Patriots, it will help our playoff hopes in more than one way. I believe Cincinnati will play for the 3rd seed so they won't have to face the Colts until the AFC championship. I know the Chargers are on fire, but the Bengals already played them at San Diego and only lost buy a FG. And let's say Baltimore makes it in as the 5th seed. I know we whooped them earlier and they've defeated Baltimore twice, but Baltimore is a divisional opponent who knows them well and has playoff experience. So come on Texans, take care of business this weekend and maybe we'll get some things to fall our way. :fans:

Maddict5
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

no it isnt. i lollmfao every time. srsly. :rolleyes:

man will you stop dogging other when you were captain koolaid a month ago. your opinion carries no credibility

NitroGSXR
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
i think you misread my post

I reread it. I must be confused still. Can you simplify what you meant? Thanks a whole bunch in advance. Sorry.

Texan4Ever
12-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh yea, with our shutdown corner Dunta Robinson and our lights out DBs like Busing and Reeves! :wild:

Maddict5
12-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I reread it. I must be confused still. Can you simplify what you meant? Thanks a whole bunch in advance. Sorry.

if KC & Oakland lose we're out of the playoffs no matter whether the jets win or lose

we need 2/3 games to go our way

HealingBullets
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Tom Brady met Pollard before and it didnt go well for Brady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7aVe_Ge09U

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
This isn't the same 16-0 Patriots team from two years ago. They are very beatable and I see no reason why the Texans won't beat them at Reliant even if the starters play a full 4 qtrs. I think we're focused right now on what needs to get done. We've got the early game, so there won't be any distractions. We came out on fire against Miami and then let up. That was a good thing because it's fresh in our minds that they can't do that. I think last game was a wake up call that we can come out and dominate but we can't lose our focus. I think we win this game by double digits.

Goldensilence
12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
This isn't the same 16-0 Patriots team from two years ago. They are very beatable and I see no reason why the Texans won't beat them at Reliant even if the starters play a full 4 qtrs. I think we're focused right now on what needs to get done. We've got the early game, so there won't be any distractions. We came out on fire against Miami and then let up. That was a good thing because it's fresh in our minds that they can't do that. I think last game was a wake up call that we can come out and dominate but we can't lose our focus. I think we win this game by double digits.

Man I wish I was drinking what you were. I don't think we beat the Pats by double digits.

Yes this isn't the same 16-0 Patriot team, but looking closer they're still 7th in scoring, 4th in passing, 2nd offense overall, 11th in rushing, and have 2 plus 1,000 yard receivers and a former MVP, and current Pro bowl QB who is coming off a game where he carved up a team for 4 TDs. Make no mistake this team is every bit and even more explosive on offense then ours.

Defensively as well they aren't that bad either. 4th in points allowed, 8th in yards allowed, 7th in passing, and 11th in rushing allowed. Also have the league's second best point differential behind the Saints.

I am surprised to see some people on this board trying to look at this team lightly in any fashion. Belichek has given no indication that he'll be resting his players, and really would you expect any less from him?

A few things the Texans do have going for them is that the Pats have struggled on the road this year going 2-5 so far. Prior to the Jags game, their wins weren't impressive in Buffalo and against Carolina.

I wish I could say that the Miami game was a lesson on coming out and ducking into their shell the second half but, that's been an ongoing affair. We've been lucky that the teams we've done that against during this strength couldn't muster the offensive firepower to complete the comeback, but this team certainly can.

Either way I think like most people I'll have my fingers crossed on the flight back home (I'll miss the game).

DexmanC
12-30-2009, 01:36 AM
They'd better not go into this game sleepwalkin.' They DESTROYED the Jags,
you know, that team that SWEPT OUR ASSES, TWENTY EIGHT ZIP! If the
Pats go up on the Texans 28-0, you can bet Belichick will do EVERYTHING
he can to double that asswhippin'.

60 minutes.

We'd BETTER bring it Sunday at noon, or heads are gonna roll!

stingray
12-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Man I wish I was drinking what you were. I don't think we beat the Pats by double digits.

Yes this isn't the same 16-0 Patriot team, but looking closer they're still 7th in scoring, 4th in passing, 2nd offense overall, 11th in rushing, and have 2 plus 1,000 yard receivers and a former MVP, and current Pro bowl QB who is coming off a game where he carved up a team for 4 TDs. Make no mistake this team is every bit and even more explosive on offense then ours.

Defensively as well they aren't that bad either. 4th in points allowed, 8th in yards allowed, 7th in passing, and 11th in rushing allowed. Also have the league's second best point differential behind the Saints.

I am surprised to see some people on this board trying to look at this team lightly in any fashion. Belichek has given no indication that he'll be resting his players, and really would you expect any less from him?

A few things the Texans do have going for them is that the Pats have struggled on the road this year going 2-5 so far. Prior to the Jags game, their wins weren't impressive in Buffalo and against Carolina.

I wish I could say that the Miami game was a lesson on coming out and ducking into their shell the second half but, that's been an ongoing affair. We've been lucky that the teams we've done that against during this strength couldn't muster the offensive firepower to complete the comeback, but this team certainly can.

Either way I think like most people I'll have my fingers crossed on the flight back home (I'll miss the game).

Yep ... They are only dominant at home... Below average on the road... They are still good but not dominate like they were in the early to mid 2000's.

houstonspartan
12-30-2009, 02:59 AM

60 minutes.

Yeah, that's the word on Bellecheck. If he has you down 100 to 0, he will still try and score a couple of extra touchdowns just for the hell of it.

Fred
12-30-2009, 05:30 AM

This just drives me crazy. Last week was a wake up call... Really??? What about the first 14 games of the year where we sleepwalked through a half (two halves against the Jets and Rams). Usually we play excellent the first half and play like crap the second, although sometimes (Arizona) we flip and play like crap the first half, and play great the second half (although usually not enough to win because that would require clutch play). Why is the 15th time going to be a wake up call when none of the first 14 were? For that matter what have the last eight years been, if not the longest unheeded wake up call in history?

Based on the season so far my game prediction is: the Patriots play their starters the first half and score with 30 seconds left in the half to cut the Texans lead to 34-7 (our bad second half usually starts with two minutes left in the first half). The Patriots play backups the entire second half, and close the game to 34-31 but lose when their receiver who was working at Jack in the Box last week drops a 60 yard TD pass from their QB who spent the last two months working as Santa at the mall.

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

60 minutes.

they also got beat by the same Buffalo team we DESTROYED, and also lost to Miami, who we also just ELIMINATED!

c'mon man...we can do that dance all day long.

DexmanC
12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
they also got beat by the same Buffalo team we DESTROYED, and also lost to Miami, who we also just ELIMINATED!

You're underestimating the choke factor of the Texans. They STILL haven't
gotten the Colts out of their head. The Texans had them beat TWICE, but
couldn't allow themselves to realize a victory over them, and HANDED
them the game!

They've never beaten Tom Brady and the Patriots, and the last time they
played, Belichick's squad put up a 40-spot. The Pats need the game (for
seeding purposes) and that's why most of the fans are HOPING Belichick
sits his starters down, or that Brady forgoes the game to be with his
pregnant wife!

If there was true confidence in your references to their
defeats, there'd be NO TALK of the Patriots resting their starters. I hope
the Patriots play their starters the entire game, because the Texans will
be FORCED to play FOUR QUARTERS OF QUALITY FOOTBALL to win. I just
want to see that ONCE this season, and I'm sure the Patriots will DEMAND
it.

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 08:12 AM

Your way back machine may not be working. Upon my limited research, which was influenced by your crack quackery, I see that the Bills have not beat the Patriots since Sept 2004.

The dance of misinformation is indeed done all day long around here.

OzzO
12-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Oh yea, with our shutdown corner Dunta Robinson and our lights out DBs like Busing and Reeves! :wild:

Well, the people responsible for selecting these fine players....

...live by the sword...

El Tejano
12-30-2009, 08:45 AM
With the NFL knowing that Bernard Pollard will be in the same game as Tom Brady, I wonder how many New England yellow flags will fly.

TheCD
12-30-2009, 09:50 AM

I don't think it's us underestimating the Pats as it is faith in our team. When they're on top of things, they can absolutely wallop any of the big boys in the NFL, and that's what they should do come Sunday.

The Pats are good, but we're absolutely hungry and can taste it. That makes us a dangerous team to play. This game is the absolute test for Gary Kubiak and all the players who say they were expecting the playoffs this year. If you think you should make it, win this game. Come out flat and you're an absolute joke thinking you should have been in the playoffs.

For all intents and purposes this is a playoff game for us. Compete like it is.

TigerWoods..Not
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
The Patriots have a huge advantage at home during the playoffs because of the weather

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Your way back machine may not be working. Upon my limited research, which was influenced by your crack quackery, I see that the Bills have not beat the Patriots since Sept 2004.

The dance of misinformation is indeed done all day long around here.

Hey...you're right, but since your time machine is so very selective on the points you wish to debate, allow me to point out that NE, in two games, beat the Bills by a total of 8 points, whereas we DESTROYED the Bills by 21 points in just one game!

and the game goes on....

DexmanC
12-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey...you're right, but since your time machine is so very selective on the points you wish to debate, allow me to point out that NE, in two games, beat the Bills by a total of 8 points, whereas we DESTROYED the Bills by 21 points in just one game!

and the game goes on....

They share a division with the Bills, so Buffalo knows EVERYTHING about
the Patriots. Division games are ALWAYS close. However, those same
Patriots BLEW OUT JACKSONVILLE, who SWEPT US. Compare apples to
apples. They win in THEIR division, we LOSE in OURS.

infantrycak
12-30-2009, 12:51 PM
They share a division with the Bills, so Buffalo knows EVERYTHING about
the Patriots. Division games are ALWAYS close. However, those same
Patriots BLEW OUT JACKSONVILLE, who SWEPT US. Compare apples to
apples. They win in THEIR division, we LOSE in OURS.

Yeah and they lost to a rookie HC with a rookie QB the week after we did too. Guess that means Belichick doesn't know how to get a team ready or motivate them. And division games are not ALWAYS close. Until the last two years we virtually ALWAYS got blown out by Indy for example.

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM

and the game goes on....

Thank you for agreeing that you did not have your facts straight, there is hope after all.

DexmanC
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah and they lost to a rookie HC with a rookie QB the week after we did too. Guess that means Belichick doesn't know how to get a team ready or motivate them. And division games are not ALWAYS close. Until the last two years we virtually ALWAYS got blown out by Indy for example.

Your record for the entire season DOES matter. Your division record
DOES matter. Losing your divisional tiebreakers every year DOES matter.
The Patriots still found a way to clinch their division title this year. The
Jets still found a way to hold a tiebreaker over the Texans. We can point
to any 1-game, but coaches are judged on the totality of their career.
Consistent mediocrity = FAILURE

...no matter how you slice it.

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Thank you for agreeing that you did not have your facts straight, there is hope after all.

well, one of us has to take the high road huh? :kitten:

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
well, one of us has to take the high road huh? :kitten:

It can take a few turns to get onto the high road.

RipTraxx
12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
That Billicheck sits Brady and Co. in order to rest them for the playoffs. I personally dont think so. Just hoping......

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
That Billicheck sits Brady and Co. in order to rest them for the playoffs. I personally dont think so. Just hoping......

I seriously doubt Belichick and the Pats players are drooling over the upcoming game against a hot Texans team, that will be playing at home.

barrett
12-30-2009, 05:25 PM
If you can stand to sit through his smug attitude you get to hear Belichick talk about about what he sees when he looks at our team. And go figure, he's dead on.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=41251&pcid=155

ObsiWan
12-30-2009, 05:52 PM

this tells me what I need to know

Q: How challenging is this week for you that you are juggling two balls in the air, you have the game this week and you also have the ultimate goal, which is the playoffs?
BB: We only have one ball in the air this week. We've just got one game. That's not a doubleheader, we just play Houston.

He wouldn't even entertain the thought of not going for the win