PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach Fired

Texan_Bill
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
12/28/09
Coach Leach is suspended until further notice
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 3:54 PM CST

http://kcbd.images.worldnow.com/images/11739004_BG1.jpg
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - According to a statement released from Texas Tech University, Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach has been suspended until further notice after a complaint from a player and his parents on his treatment of the player after an injury.

An investigation of the incident is underway. According to the statement from Tech, until the investigation is complete, Texas Tech University is suspending coach Leach from all duties as Head Football Coach effective immediately. The investigation into this matter will continue in a thorough and fair manner.

Coach Ruffin McNeill will assume duties as Interim Head Coach and will coach the team during the Alamo Bowl.

The decision to take these actions was made in consultation with the Texas Tech University president, and the Texas Tech University System chancellor, and Board of Regents chairman and vice chairman. 

More: Coach Leach is suspended until further notice
(http://ow.ly/Qx4A)

hookinreds
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't know what I'm more surprised about...the funky Pirate being suspended, or that Tech has a Defensive Coordinator?

hookinreds
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Something about Craig James' (ESPN) kid having signs of a concussion and Leach telling a trainer to put him in a dark electrical closet during practice that Leach said would help him and keep him close to the team during practice. Very weird.

GP
12-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Something about Craig James' (ESPN) kid having signs of a concussion and Leach telling a trainer to put him in a dark electrical closet during practice that Leach said would help him and keep him close to the team during practice. Very weird.

Just throwing this out there:

When you have a concussion, is the exposure to bright lights something that hurts the injured player, something akin to having a migraine...thus prompting Leach to say "Put him in the electrical closet" because maybe it's dark in there?

Leach is a weird cat. And sometimes he says things that leave you wondering if he was for real or just messing with people's heads.

It's like he's a mini-Bobby Knight. Without the physical outbursts, though.

Man, this is messed up. I'm stunned.

GP
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Just throwing this out there:

When you have a concussion, is the exposure to bright lights something that hurts the injured player, something akin to having a migraine...thus prompting Leach to say "Put him in the electrical closet" because maybe it's dark in there?

Leach is a weird cat. And sometimes he says things that leave you wondering if he was for real or just messing with people's heads.

It's like he's a mini-Bobby Knight. Without the physical outbursts, though.

Man, this is messed up. I'm stunned.

An attorney for Leach says he wanted Adam James in a cool, dark place.

But the report with ESPN.com says that Leach wanted Adam James to be secluded in a dark, confining space where he could not sit down or lean on anything (basically, he had to remain standing).

Look, "WHAT IF" Leach thought that James might lay down or lean on something, and go to sleep? You don't sleep if you have a concussion. You stay awake.

It sounds like he got concussed at practice. Trainers went out there, or brought him to the sideline, where they examined him on-the-spot. He had an elevated heart rate at that time. There was no official examination; no clinical diagnosis of how severe the concussion was.

So Leach, trying to keep practice running along, has his staff take Adam James to the dark closet where he can't lay down (in fear of him falling asleep).

OR.....Leach thought he was being a puss, and treated him in a jackass'ical way by having him stand in a dark closet since he claims his head was hurt.

Leach is a former lawyer. He went to law school, IIRC, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did this stunt knowing that he had "an out" in poker terms, so to speak.

I live in the area of Lubbock. Sometimes I have seen him on the local TV news station, doing a guest spot as a weather man where he gets to use the green screen. He is WEIRD! He was saying nonsensical stuff that left the TV news anchors giving each other weird looks, chuckling out of awkwardness.

I think he gets off the hook, but is told that one more weird event from him will be a "walk the plank" punishment awaiting him.

Texecutioner
12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
I think he gets off the hook, but is told that one more weird event from him will be a "walk the plank" punishment awaiting him.

Agreed. TT isn't about to get rid of Leach. Their future would be way to uncertain. I don't think this is bad enough "yet".

If it happens again though, you're right and he'll be sleeping with the fishes. :gun:

His weirdness can't last forever.

GP
12-29-2009, 02:50 AM
I think Leach was jacking around with Adam James, and the "lawyer" in Leach knew he had a somewhat reasonable "out" by making him go to a dark closet and not lay down or lean on anything.

1. He can claim he was only looking out for the player.

2. He can claim that this is a case of Adam's daddy (Craig James) making a big deal about nothing.

3. He can claim that certain people took him out of context in terms of what he was trying to accomplish with Adam James (given the situation).

This is a guy who has an alter-ego nickname for Taylor Potts. Even his jersey had the name "Nick," or some such thing, on the back.

He gives bizarre press conferences.

I've seen his weird appearance on Lubbock's local TV station.

Is the guy going bonkers? He might be. There might just be a gradual breakdown in brain matter that is causing him to exhibit irrational or inexplicable behavior that's associated with any number of conditions that an older man might be developing at his age.

If he shows up to the stadium in bunny slippers and an ivory-handled Colt revolver on his hip, I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Tech better have some sort of spread offense coach on their radar, IMO.

GP
12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Ted Liggett, Leach's attorney, said James "was placed in an equipment room as it was much cooler and darker" than the practice field "after a doctor had examined him and returned him to the field."

Liggett said that on that day, a trainer was posted outside the room and that James was provided ice. Liggett said that James was secluded for one to two hours. Liggett said that on another occasion, James was placed in a "press room with air-conditioning and a stationary bike he could use."

Inquiring Minds Want To Know:

"Why is it necessary to put Adam James in the 'coolest' area that could be found" when it's freaking DECEMBER in Lubbock?

Any of you guys been in Lubbock in December? It isn't warm.

Something else, why is he in a dark ELECTRICAL closet? Isn't that a potential hazard to be enclosed near electrical wires, switches, etc.? And a guard was posted outside? And he was told he would be kicked off the team if he came out?

I dunno....Mike Leach might be in bigger trouble than first reported/theorized.

This does NOT look good for Mike Leach. This puts him right up there with Mangino of Kansas, IMO. The only saving grace is going to be how tolerant Texas Tech was of Bobby Knight. They might pull the "Aw, shucks...Mike didn't mean any harm. We're on the same page. No news here" card.

Wow. Drama in Red Raider Land. LOL!

Hardcore Texan
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Inquiring Minds Want To Know:

"Why is it necessary to put Adam James in the 'coolest' area that could be found" when it's freaking DECEMBER in Lubbock?

Any of you guys been in Lubbock in December? It isn't warm.

Something else, why is he in a dark ELECTRICAL closet? Isn't that a potential hazard to be enclosed near electrical wires, switches, etc.? And a guard was posted outside? And he was told he would be kicked off the team if he came out?

I dunno....Mike Leach might be in bigger trouble than first reported/theorized.

This does NOT look good for Mike Leach. This puts him right up there with Mangino of Kansas, IMO. The only saving grace is going to be how tolerant Texas Tech was of Bobby Knight. They might pull the "Aw, shucks...Mike didn't mean any harm. We're on the same page. No news here" card.

Wow. Drama in Red Raider Land. LOL!

As long as everything is up to code and meets OSHA standards the answer is no.

texanhead08
12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
There is also the angle out there about Craig James bitching about his kids playing time all year too. Maybe Leach was showing him who is running the team and if they kid doesn't like it he can leave.

hookinreds
12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey Craig...thanks for making sure those that break the rules are punished, becuase i'm sure you had nothing to do with SMU football being blown off the planet...or were you a whistle blower there too?

Not taking anything away from hurting a kid, but I think it's a far reach to say that Craig isn't partially responsible for what ever happend here.

GP
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
This has taken on the appearance of a feud between Craig and Mike.

But the problem is that Mike goofed up. He took it up a notch, and it makes him look verrry verrry bad, IMO.

Now, Craig James is playing the "We are only trying to help Texas Tech in its goal of shaping young men" card.

There is no way that Texas Tech is going to allow Mike Leach to return for the bowl game. The sports media would be all over this ordeal 24/7 and it would distract the team more than it already has.

TTU doesn't want that sort of publicity right now. They want to limit Leach's exposure as much as possible.

Leach is eccentric, to say the least, and he went over the line, IMO.

The only thing going for Leach, at the moment, is that he doesn't have a documented history of abusing players. I don't think any TTU players are going to surface and attack Leach like what we saw with Mangino at Kansas.

But will TTU feel that the team is solid enough to go a different direction for head coach? To what degree does Mike Leach HIMSELF give the Red Raiders a better chance of beating teams? The system is known by his assistants. Could a better head coach, one who doesn't play Sheffield while the dude is limping on one foot all game long, be a difference-maker for them?

It's interesting to see how much an organization will attempt to hold onto the head coach whom they think is solely responsible for the team's success, as well as for future prospects of STAYING a winner.

Sometimes, it's just time to go. I think TTU could cite some escape clause in the Leach contract that has to do with conduct detrimental to the University's image.

Rich Rodriguez left West Virginia and the assistant coach took the reins and led the team to a bowl victory in his first gig as head coach there. Going to be interesting to see how McNeil handles this. He turned around the Tech defense.

As a Tech fan, I had actually tired of the Leach act this season. The comments about his players' "fat little girlfriends" was the last straw for me. I think the guy is in his own world.

LonerATO
12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
I bet this would not be a big story if it wasn't Craig James kid

Texecutioner
12-29-2009, 12:45 PM
This has taken on the appearance of a feud between Craig and Mike.

But the problem is that Mike goofed up. He took it up a notch, and it makes him look verrry verrry bad, IMO.

Now, Craig James is playing the "We are only trying to help Texas Tech in its goal of shaping young men" card.

There is no way that Texas Tech is going to allow Mike Leach to return for the bowl game. The sports media would be all over this ordeal 24/7 and it would distract the team more than it already has.

TTU doesn't want that sort of publicity right now. They want to limit Leach's exposure as much as possible.

Leach is eccentric, to say the least, and he went over the line, IMO.

The only thing going for Leach, at the moment, is that he doesn't have a documented history of abusing players. I don't think any TTU players are going to surface and attack Leach like what we saw with Mangino at Kansas.

But will TTU feel that the team is solid enough to go a different direction for head coach? To what degree does Mike Leach HIMSELF give the Red Raiders a better chance of beating teams? The system is known by his assistants. Could a better head coach, one who doesn't play Sheffield while the dude is limping on one foot all game long, be a difference-maker for them?

It's interesting to see how much an organization will attempt to hold onto the head coach whom they think is solely responsible for the team's success, as well as for future prospects of STAYING a winner.

Sometimes, it's just time to go. I think TTU could cite some escape clause in the Leach contract that has to do with conduct detrimental to the University's image.

Rich Rodriguez left West Virginia and the assistant coach took the reins and led the team to a bowl victory in his first gig as head coach there. Going to be interesting to see how McNeil handles this. He turned around the Tech defense.

As a Tech fan, I had actually tired of the Leach act this season. The comments about his players' "fat little girlfriends" was the last straw for me. I think the guy is in his own world.

I think Leach is entertaining. He is different and strange but effective as a HC. If I were TT I wouldn't fire him over this, but if they do I won't blame them one bit. I can't understand what the hell he was thinking about all of this and what made him throw a kid into a closet like that. I'd probably have to be in the room when they're asking him why he did all of that to see what his responses are. The media is reporting that he feels that he did nothing wrong so it sort of stinks of Leach being the typical arrogant Leach that's strange and in his own little world like you say. I guess I'd have to be talking to him myself though really to try and understand where is he with all of this.

But TT would probably go down hill big time if Leach were gone in my opinion. In college football a program like TT can't be successful with just anyone. They need a really good guy out there since recruiting is so difficult for a town like Lubbock.

Stemp
12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't like Mike Leach but I respect him as a coach and the mad pirate scientist that he is. The guys is too smart to do something so blatantly dumb and we've only gotten 1 side of the story which is coming from the "sports journalist" father of a disgruntled player and who has used his status to lobby to get his kid more playing time.

Add in the fact that the Tech AD can't stand Leach and that he has pissed off the Tech administration by continually interviewing for other HC jobs and it's a powder keg. I'd love for Leach to leave Tech,but not like this and not because a Daddy is mad because the mean coach wasn't nice to his son.

Spled
12-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Leach shouldn't have brought up that he thinks James is a slacker because it made the whole thing look like punishment.

disaacks3
12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't like Mike Leach but I respect him as a coach and the mad pirate scientist that he is. The guys is too smart to do something so blatantly dumb and we've only gotten 1 side of the story which is coming from the "sports journalist" father of a disgruntled player and who has used his status to lobby to get his kid more playing time.

Add in the fact that the Tech AD can't stand Leach and that he has pissed off the Tech administration by continually interviewing for other HC jobs and it's a powder keg. I'd love for Leach to leave Tech,but not like this and not because a Daddy is mad because the mean coach wasn't nice to his son. You mean ESPN...the "fair and balanced" evaluators of sports talent would do such a thing? :runaway:

Mr. White
12-29-2009, 02:52 PM

The "fat little girlfriend" is actually a metaphor for player egos. At least that's what I heard from a Tech fan.

http://www.redraiders.com/2009/10/26/tech-notes-leach-not-apologizing-to-fat-little-girlfriends/

Kind of makes sense when you look at it in context.

“As coaches, we failed to make our coaching points more compelling than (the players’) fat little girlfriends,’’ Leach said. “Fat little girlfriends have some obvious advantages. For one thing, their fat little girlfriends are telling them what they want to hear, which is how great you are and how easy it’s going to be.’’

Tech was a three-touchdown favorite and lost 52-30 to the Aggies, ending the Red Raiders’ 12-game home winning streak and knocking them out of the major national rankings.

Leach said he’ll do all he can to keep another letdown from happening.

“As coaches, we have to solve our failure on reaching them, and the players have to listen,’’ Leach said. “I’m willing to go to fairly amazing lengths to try to make that happen. I don’t know if I’ll be successful this week or not, but I am going to try and there will be some people inconvenienced, and if it happens to be their fat little girlfriends, too bad.’’

I guess it was his mistake for not clarifying that point. But then again that would be pretty PC of him to do that.

Stemp
12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Leach filed an injunction to coach the Alamo Bowl.

LUBBOCK, Texas -- The lawyer for Mike Leach says the suspended Texas Tech coach did nothing wrong in how he treated a player with a "mild" concussion, and Leach is seeking a court's help in allowing him to coach in the Valero Alamo Bowl on Jan. 2.

Attorney Ted Liggett said Tuesday that keeping receiver Adam James inside during practice due to the injury was better for the player than letting him remain outside.

James is the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James.

University officials suspended Leach on Monday while the school investigates complaints from James and his family about how the player was treated.

The motion for a temporary restraining order, which would allow Leach to coach in the bowl game, was filed Tuesday in Lubbock, Texas. No date has been set for a hearing in the 99th District Court.

In the filing Leach says he "would never intentionally harm or endanger a player" and that he has been "forced into this situation without being afforded any process."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4779341

steelbtexan
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Did anybody get the feeling that Gerald Myers has been looking for a way to get rid of Leach for a while?

I dont think Myers wanted to pay Leach after last years great season but was forced into it because of pressure from some of the alumni.

Mr. White
12-30-2009, 08:18 AM
What an unoriginal way to run somebody off.

This is Kansas/Mangino all over again.

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
They talked about this last night on Eric Winston's radio show. He said something to the effect (not an exact quote), 'Leach wants Pirates on his team. He found out this kid wasn't a Pirate because Pirates don't get locked in closets.'

Winston is a funny funny dude.

Blake
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
My 2 cents.

If you have a player that is playing the injured card for any reason. Send him to the trainers. If he doesnt work hard then cut his scholarship. If thats not an option for whatever reason then dont play him.

Leach put himself in this position by not doing the right thing. I am not saying I think he should get fired over it, but he opened the door up to something like this happening.

Showtime100
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
My 2 cents.

If you have a player that is playing the injured card for any reason. Send him to the trainers. If he doesnt work hard then cut his scholarship. If thats not an option for whatever reason then dont play him.

Leach put himself in this position by not doing the right thing. I am not saying I think he should get fired over it, but he opened the door up to something like this happening.

That kind of where I'm at on this thing. Leach screwed up bigtime and (my :twocents:) did it on the wrong guy who seems, IMO, have football priorities where they need to be in terms of 'team' or maintaining his scholarship.

I can't blame Craig James for firing off in favor for his son, any father would do the same thing, but he (Craig) is the posterboy for getting more than just a scholarship, I'll bet he knows that but also know ESPN will do (as they did this morning) back him up totally in the name of good sports journalism. :dontknowa

I kind of see it like a battle of attrition in that who fails the least wins.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Dallas radio, 1310 am, is reporting that Mike Leach has been fired.

:(

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4781981

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach, who was accused of mistreating a player who had a "mild" concussion, has been fired by the university.

Stemp
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
The fired him "with cause" so they don't have to payout his contract. However, I'm not sure if they can do that prior to determining any wrongdoing by him.

Blake
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow. Just Wow is all I can say.

pbat488
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's gonna be great not having him coaching quarterbacks and running his offense against A&M anymore, but on the other hand, the better the competition the better it is for us and for the Big 12 as a whole. Not too mention he brought a lot of attention to the conference and to Tech by some of his mannerisms.

I don't like that the AD Myers pounced on this and used this as the impetus to fire him though. I think it was clear with his contract issues earlier that Myers has been trying to get rid of him, and to do it with this is just yellow and cowardly.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Craig James at SMU the years that led to the "death penalty"?

Stemp
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't craig james at smu the years that led to the "death penalty"?

yup

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM
This is going to start getting fun!

http://www.examiner.com/x-24096-Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-Examiner~y2009m12d30-Texas-Tech-vs-Team-Leach

Texas Tech has bumbled its way into a public relations nightmare. The more information that comes out, the more it looks like the James family has vastly overstated the facts. Many people in Lubbock would go so far as to say Adam and Craig James have lied. Let's see, the "shed" turns out to be a garage, the "electrical closet" turns out to be the visiting coaches media room. This is the same room that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops would use when they visit Tech. Also the "guards" have turned out to be athletic trainers with instructions to check on Adam James regularly.

Tech now has just created the most damaging story in the University that I can recall. Myers and Hance just pissed off 95% of the student body, most of whom could care less if James was being truthful or not.

pbat488
12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Craig James at SMU the years that led to the "death penalty"?

he wasn't found to have committed any infractions though so this doesn't really have any relevance to Leach getting fired...

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a heard time believing Myers will be involved in hiring process.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I have a heard time believing Myers will be involved in hiring process.

He better ****ing not be.

Corrosion
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM

http://www.examiner.com/x-24096-Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-Examiner~y2009m12d30-Texas-Tech-vs-Team-Leach

Tech now has just created the most damaging story in the University that I can recall. Myers and Hance just pissed off 95% of the student body, most of whom could care less if James was being truthful or not.

I think they also pissed off any chance of remaining competitive in the Big 12.

This is gonna make recruiting tough and I wonder how many players will ask to transfer - not to mention they lose a damn good football coach. Crazy or not.

Blake
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
he wasn't found to have committed any infractions though so this doesn't really have any relevance to Leach getting fired...

The question was was James on the team that year SMU got the death penalty, and the answer is yes.

Stemp
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
What coach will want to go to Tech now, especially since all it takes is a player's parent to complain before they suspend and terminate you? They had no hearing and gave Leach no chance to explain. As much as I despise him, I hate to see him get railroaded like this.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Start the Kevin Sumlin rumors, now...

disaacks3
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Tech now has just created the most damaging story in the University that I can recall. Myers and Hance just pissed off 95% of the student body, most of whom could care less if James was being truthful or not. For the unaware, putting the subject in a darkened room is a NORMAL disgnosis / evaluation / treatment regimen for someone with a potential concussion.

Administrators rearely care about irritating the student body, but if the Alumni start jumping on that bandwagon...look out.

dc_txtech
12-30-2009, 12:38 PM
This is frickin ridiculous.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
For the unaware, putting the subject in a darkened room is a NORMAL disgnosis / evaluation / treatment regimen for someone with a potential concussion.

While that's true to a certain degree, generally there's a bed to lay down or at least a chair to rest in. In this case, there was nothing for James to sit down on.

I think something Dickie Justice said on 1560 kind of makes sense. He said that Leach being "quirky" thought that this might be a clever way to discipline the kid. Obviously it backfired.

Ryan
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Good news for Aggies everywhere.

Showtime100
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
While that's true to a certain degree, generally there's a bed to lay down or at least a chair to rest in. In this case, there was nothing for James to sit down on.

I think something Dickie Justice said on 1560 kind of makes sense. He said that Leach being "quirky" thought that this might be a clever way to discipline the kid. Obviously it backfired.

Ask Justice about the dwi, arms, burglarly thing is happening for UT "students." You will hear they were innocent. In fact the mafia is impressed.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Ask Justice about the dwi, arms, burglarly thing is happening for UT "students." You will hear they were innocent. In fact the mafia is impressed.

:lol:

I rarely take Justice seriously, but in this case it kinda made sense since Leach is goofy anyway.

Stemp
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

According to Daddy. Again, the only public knowledge of the events in question is from the parents.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM

One would assume that if James was indeed in the visiting coach's media room, there might be a chair or two.

Honoring Earl 34
12-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Things have sure come along ways since I was a kid . I think what he did was wrong but the big mistake was who he did it to . I also see young James having to leave TT because he just got the best coach they ever had fired .

In the end , they were both over reacting .

As far as SMU getting the death penalty ... that was after both James and Dickerson ended up there . Around the same time a guy named Michael Carter showed up to along with a FS named Russell Hopkins I think .

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
One would assume that if James was indeed in the visiting coach's media room, there might be a chair or two.

The stories I've read was that James was forced to stand and we he sat down, Leach had someone remove things.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:06 PM
According to Daddy. Again, the only public knowledge of the events in question is from the parents.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not siding with Daddy or his ***** ass son. I think Earl (2 posts above) summed it up nicely. Poor decision by Leach and an over-reaction by Daddy.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 01:08 PM
The stories I've read was that James was forced to stand and we he sat down, Leach had someone remove things.

Stories I've read, read differently. Which isn't all that surpising. I'm curious how Tech is going to explain this without an investigation into the events. There are too many differing opinions as to what happened to assume we've actually heard the truth yet.

Honoring Earl 34
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Stories I've read, read differently. Which isn't all that surpising. I'm curious how Tech is going to explain this without an investigation into the events. There are too many differing opinions as to what happened to assume we've actually heard the truth yet.

The Oliver Stone version is James didn't like it there and wanted to transfer . He also didn't want to lose a year so if he ends up a pony ... bingo .

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:12 PM

At the end of the day, Tech was looking for a reason to get rid of Leach. The Mangino saga lasted longer than this before he was fired. I'm as curious as you to find out "the real" story.

FYI: This is kinda what I was talking about:

According to the Lubbock Avalanche Journal, on Dec. 17, Leach "ordered James to stand in a dark shed at the Tech football practice facility because he thought James was faking a concussion he'd suffered during practice the previous day. Leach had him watched, and when James sat down, Leach had things removed from the shed so he could not sit. Two days later, Leach forced James to stand in a dark room for three hours."

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
The Oliver Stone version is James didn't like it there and wanted to transfer . He also didn't want to lose a year so if he ends up a pony ... bingo .

"The Oliver Stone version".... :lol:

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Good news for Aggies everywhere.

huh?

Ags lead that series 35-32-1.

ArlingtonTexan
12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Start the Kevin Sumlin rumors, now...

Current rumors

Baylor head caoch
sonny dykes
Tech D-coordinator

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
huh?

And while they didn't play very well the other night, they have a pretty bright future.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Current rumors

Baylor head caoch
sonny dykes
Tech D-coordinator

Dickie Justice mentioned Sonny Dykes.
Poor Ruffin. At his weight the stress of being a full time (not interim) head coach might kill him.

Drew_Smoke
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I knew Briles would come up. He just got to Baylor but we all know that means nada.

Sumlin will be on that list and would have to say YES if they offer it to him.

I doubt Leach would have been kicked out if they didn't have a plan.

False Start
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
At the end of the day, Tech was looking for a reason to get rid of Leach. The Mangino saga lasted longer than this before he was fired. I'm as curious as you to find out "the real" story.

FYI: This is kinda what I was talking about:

Video Link (http://www.kcbd.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=108431&topVideoCatNoB=108535&topVideoCatNoC=111448&topVideoCatNoD=108536&topVideoCatNoE=111449&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4421239&flvUri=&partnerclipid)

The supposed shed, and closet.

Stemp
12-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Not looking good for the Tech Administration.

hese e-mails were forwarded to CBSSports.com on Tuesday. They include messages from strength coach Bennie Wylie, inside receivers coach Lincoln Riley, former assistant coach Dana Holgorsen (now at Houston) and former players Eric Morris, Graham Harrell and Rylan Reed ...

Two days prior to the incident in question, I disciplined Adam James along with several other recievers. His attitude was poor the entire time; even with constant plees for improvement. By the end of the practice, a few of the other recievers accepted their lack of performance in the previous practice and worked harder. Adam was not one of these individuals. He was last on all the excercises asked to do and talked and "danced" during the discipline. When told that this was unacceptable, he simply shrugged his shoulders. I continued to encourge him with no success.

Bennie Wylie
Head Strength and Conditioning Coach
Texas Tech University

To whom it may concern:

You can find out a lot about a person after playing three years of college football with them. Adam James was a teammate of mine from 2006-2009. Ever since the day he arrived on the Texas Tech campus you couldn’t help but to feel a negative energy from him. He expected people to baby him and that he was going make it solely on the fact that his father was a very successful player. Coach Leach has never been a coach to just give something to someone because of who they are. He believes that everyone is equal and you have to earn respect from your coaches and teammates. Adam was never known as a hard worker. I can honestly agree with this because we played the same position and I witnessed his laziness on a daily bases. Adam seemed to have a negative attitude towards the football program the majority of the time. That negative energy is never good for a team and can cause some major problems on and off the field. During practices, Adam always tried to get by with doing the least he possibly could. Never do I once remember Adam to be excited or enthusiastic to be out there. It was almost like he was playing the game of football to please someone other than himself.

Sincerely,

Eric Morris

To Whom It May Concern:

Texas Tech University and the athletic department is filled with great people from the top down, starting with the chancellor all the way down to the student athletes involved in the programs. In the football program, Gerald Myers and the rest of the administration have put together an unbelievable staff that believe success only comes from hard work and doing things right. The staff expects the players and everyone involved to buy into their beliefs, but like anywhere not every player agrees with or buys into what the coaches and program stand for. At Texas Tech the majority of the players do everything the coaches ask of them and anything possible to improve the team. Adam James is one of the few players who has never bought into what Texas Tech football was built on and in my years there with him had a negative impact on the team because of his attitude and work ethic on and off the field. Coach Leach demands a lot out of every player in the program and pushed his players and coaches as hard as any coach I have ever been around, but he is fair to every player and would never make and decision or action that is not best for the Texas Tech football program.

Before Adam James ever entered the football locker room at Texas Tech I heard how spoiled and selfish he acted in a team atmosphere from many of my baseball friends. Adam was on the baseball team his true freshman year at Tech, before he ever joined the football team, and did not make it through the baseball season because of his selfish attitude. After a baseball game in which he felt like he did not get enough playing time, but the team still won twenty to one, he came into the locker room after the game and “pouted and threw a big fit” according another player on the baseball team. A few weeks later in the middle of the season, he just stopped showing up to practices or game and quit because he was not happy about how he was being treated. One of my roommates was a baseball player on the team and many of my friends were a part of the team that witnessed all of this. These baseball players told me he was “spoiled and selfish” before he ever came to the football team. After quitting baseball he came out for football and his selfish attitude was very evident, as was his laziness. During off-season workouts he often would be caught skipping lifts in the weight room or finding ways to cut corners/get out of conditioning exercises. When we had player organized seven on seven throwing in the summer, when he would show up he was much more interested in playing his own games on the side of the field or telling people that he wasn’t going to run any routes because the coaches do not get him a “fair opportunity” anyway. During the season he was often “injured” (it usually seemed like a very minor injury that could keep him out of practice but never out of any other activity, including games) so he would not participate in some drills in practice. None of these acts were productive for our team, but the most detrimental part of Adam was his off field attitude and actions. In the locker room and away from the facility, Adam used any opportunity he had to tell other players how he was being treated unfairly, how the coaches did not give him a fair chance and how we did not have to do everything the coaches told us because they had no option but to play some of us. When I heard these kinds of things I usually tried to put an end to them but Adam pretty consistently talked bad about the coaches or down played the importance of working hard, when he was off the field. When he talked to young players or players that were usually on the scout he would explain how the coaches were not fair to certain players and only played favorites. When he talked to players that did get some playing time he would talk about how we didn’t really have to do what the coaches asked of us because the coaches had to play us anyway. And it almost always tied back to how he was not getting a fair chance to play just because the coaches were unfair. The coaches were always more than fair to Adam I felt, because he came in the game during certain formations and situations last football season, but because of his work ethic and attitude, many of the players on last years team had a hard time trusting him or relying on him because he was not always practicing and we had seen his laziness during the off-season. Adam was a kid that seemed like he had been given everything he wanted his whole life and acted like if things did not go exactly how he wanted someone was treating him unfairly or someone needed to be blamed for his failures. He was a selfish player on and off the field that was counter-productive for our team and would be for any other team.

Mike Leach was not only my head coach, but he was my position coach all five of my years at Texas Tech. I spent more time with him than any other player during my five years and had meetings with him every day. He was very hard on me and every other player in program and he held very high expectations for every player. He would push us all every day during the season and during the off-season. He felt that hard work, dedication and doing things right was the only way we could be successful and compete in the Big XII conference. He worked harder and longer than anyone else in program and was committed to winning at all cost. He would never have been unfair to a player or not played the best players he had because he wanted to win more than anything else. Coach Leach also expected us to be tough but smart at the same time. He would not pressure a kid to play with a serious injury or play when he did not feel ready to play. Coach Leach is a man that cares about his player and puts his players, coaches and the well being of the Texas Tech football program above all else.

Coach Leach is a great coach at Texas Tech that emphasizes the importance of hard work and doing things the right way so that the football program has the best opportunity possible to be successful. He, along with the administration and the rest of his staff, have built a great football program at Texas Tech that is built on the virtues and principles that give any program an opportunity to be successful. Every single player may not buy into the program’s beliefs, but Mike Leach has almost everyone on board with him and the Texas Tech football program on a successful track.

Graham Harrell

I am writing this letter on behalf of Mike Leach in regards to the Adam James situation. I was the inside receiver coach at Texas Tech when we made the decision the sign Adam James in January of 2007. Adam had no offers to play NCAA D1 football during and after his Senior year. After a conversation between Coach Leach and Adams father Craig, Coach Leach acquired a brief highlight tape of Adam and made the decision to take him as a scholarship student athlete. I was opposed to doing so in belief he was not a D1 football player. Coach Leach overrode my opinion and Adam became a Red Raider. During the rest of my time at Texas Tech I was Adams position coach where I always remained critical of Adams ability to play at this level due to being lazy in not only the classroom but also in the off season and during practice. Coach Leach was the one who kept saying he believed Adam would eventually contribute. Adams teammates believed he was selfish and were constantly getting onto him for lack of effort as they sensed entitlement on his part due to his father being a very good football player. Adam eventually ended up playing a little after I left due to his body type being able to do some TE sets which consists of around 5-10 plays a game. Adam should be thankful for the opportunity to play at Texas Tech and for Mike Leach, who gave him the opportunity. In my opinion playing 5-10 plays a game in an outstanding offense is more than he would get at any other school in NCAA D1 football.

Dana Holgorsen
OC & QB's
University of Houston

More at the link
http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/19238949

WWJD
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh well..dude got fired from one high paying job and he'll probably go to a better paying job.

Hard for me to have much sympathy for him.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
huh?

Overall A&M certainly holds a slight edge, but Leach himself has owned the Aggies (Tech has done seriously well against A&M ever since Zach Thomas ran a INT back for a TD and a win in 95).

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Video Link (http://www.kcbd.com/global/Category.asp?C=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=108431&topVideoCatNoB=108535&topVideoCatNoC=111448&topVideoCatNoD=108536&topVideoCatNoE=111449&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4421239&flvUri=&partnerclipid)

The supposed shed, and closet.

Yeah, I'm starting to really believe the administration is using this as their "out" to get rid of Leach.

Texan_Bill
12-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Not looking good for the Tech Administration.

More at the link
http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/19238949

Wow, Graham Harrell ripped him. How about Dana Holgorsen gettin' in on that.

Hookem Horns
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
huh?

That record would only mean anything if Leach was the coach in all 68 of those games. What is the record while Leach was the coach at TT? I honestly don't know, just curious.

Maybe A&M will fire Sherman and hire Leach. That way maybe you guys can be fans of your team in January instead of whomever is playing Texas. http://radio.weblogs.com/0119318/Screenshots/grin_smiley.jpg

Stemp
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Mike Leach as A&M OC. That would be awesome.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Timing of this is odd, before the appeal hearing and before the 800,000 bonus coming to.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
That record would only mean anything if Leach was the coach in all 68 of those games. What is the record while Leach was the coach at TT? I honestly don't know, just curious.

Maybe A&M will fire Sherman and hire Leach. That way maybe you guys can be fans of your team in January instead of whomever is playing Texas. http://radio.weblogs.com/0119318/Screenshots/grin_smiley.jpg

Leach was 7-3 against the Ags.

Hagar
12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

As an Aggie who was standing in the student section back in '95 watchin Zach run in that now infamous pick 6, thank you TT!!!!!! Maybe now we can get back to normal ~ us beating y'all like redheaded step children again.

As far as firing Sherman and hiring Leach, works for me. A&M is hard to recruit for, but its a heck of a lot easier to recruit for then TT. I mean really, who want to live in the dust bowl.

Showtime100
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
What a joke. Tell me, does A&M get the same BS breaks with the law UT does? Just curious.

Yankee_In_TX
12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm starting to really believe the administration is using this as their "out" to get rid of Leach.

24 hours short of $800,000.

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Sounds to me like Leach was keeping Jones on the squad because of the Dad (with a scholarship too?). Just trying to get good press with ESPN.

After reading those letters, I can't understand why Leach (or any coach) wouldn't cut a player that has that much bad energy, attitude or laziness.

Hookem Horns
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
What a joke. Tell me, does A&M get the same BS breaks with the law UT does? Just curious.

They probably would in College Station. So the real reason Mike Leach was fired was because he had something to do with giving UT players breaks with the law? Does Leach have some political power in Texas that I am not aware of? Why would Leach help UT players?

JWarren14
12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I wish we would have hired leach to be a player consultant for the Texans so we could have locked Chris/Kris Brown in a dark closet for 17 weeks.

Fear the Pirate! :vinny:

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Jerry Gray, anyone?

pbat488
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Dickie Justice mentioned Sonny Dykes.
Poor Ruffin. At his weight the stress of being a full time (not interim) head coach might kill him.

Hey, if Mangino can go 7 years without having a heart attack at Kansas, I think Ruffin might be able to coach them for a while.

axman40
12-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Darth Showtime shows his Horn Hate!
:showtime:

GP
12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
My 2 cents.

He should have freaking CUT the kid.

It's is his own fault on three separate occasions:

1. Having faith in the kid when others had said "Don't sign Adam James."

2. Not cutting him after others, including golden boy Graham Harrell, had said that he was lazy and useless to the team. You are the coach. Cut the dead weight. Issue ultimatums. DO SOMETHING!

3. Pulling the shenanigans of locking him closets. He wasn't "harmed" but it placed a spotlight on Mike Leach, and TTU, that was unnecessary.

You can't help but feel that Mike Leach became a God in his own eyes, especially with the way TTU student body and alumni had fallen in love with him due to him making the football team a competitive squad for once.

I don't feel sorry for him. And I actually think he was overrated when it comes to gameday coaching. He keeps saying that he isn't that big of a coach anyway. He has a few plays and they just change up the formations to trick the defense, plus the receivers just run to open spots on the field.

The Red Raiders signed Scotty Young, senior QB at Denton Ryan High School in Texas. He threw for 9,000 yards in two seasons. 126 TDs, IIRC. He had 65 TDs in one season, just one short of Graham Harrell's record of 66.

I think the Red Raiders are going to be fine without him.

The team respects Ruffin McNeil. I do, too.

One man's loss is always another man's gain. I wonder if Leach will remember that he can't get too cute with stuff like this at the college level.

This situation reminds me of our own, with the Texans:

1. Head coach stabilizes the program.

2. Defense sucks.

3. Changes d-coordinators and the defense improves a lot.

4. Leach does a quirky thing with a player and it backfires. Our head coach does quirky things with roster decisions and gameday strategies/in-game adjustments. One gets fired, one has probably one more year.

As a Tech fan, I think this was the smart thing to do. How many players want to risk (no, correction: How many PARENTS want to risk) going to a college where a player might get treated in weird ways by the head coach?

Tech will win the bowl game. Where it goes from there is anybody's guess.

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Jerry Gray, anyone?

is there a silly Rooney rule in the NCAA too? seems like that's the only time ol' Jerry gets an interview.

steelbtexan
12-30-2009, 07:22 PM
He should have freaking CUT the kid.

It's is his own fault on three separate occasions:

1. Having faith in the kid when others had said "Don't sign Adam James."

2. Not cutting him after others, including golden boy Graham Harrell, had said that he was lazy and useless to the team. You are the coach. Cut the dead weight. Issue ultimatums. DO SOMETHING!

3. Pulling the shenanigans of locking him closets. He wasn't "harmed" but it placed a spotlight on Mike Leach, and TTU, that was unnecessary.

You can't help but feel that Mike Leach became a God in his own eyes, especially with the way TTU student body and alumni had fallen in love with him due to him making the football team a competitive squad for once.

I don't feel sorry for him. And I actually think he was overrated when it comes to gameday coaching. He keeps saying that he isn't that big of a coach anyway. He has a few plays and they just change up the formations to trick the defense, plus the receivers just run to open spots on the field.

The Red Raiders signed Scotty Young, senior QB at Denton Ryan High School in Texas. He threw for 9,000 yards in two seasons. 126 TDs, IIRC. He had 65 TDs in one season, just one short of Graham Harrell's record of 66.

I think the Red Raiders are going to be fine without him.

The team respects Ruffin McNeil. I do, too.

One man's loss is always another man's gain. I wonder if Leach will remember that he can't get too cute with stuff like this at the college level.

This situation reminds me of our own, with the Texans:

1. Head coach stabilizes the program.

2. Defense sucks.

3. Changes d-coordinators and the defense improves a lot.

4. Leach does a quirky thing with a player and it backfires. Our head coach does quirky things with roster decisions and gameday strategies/in-game adjustments. One gets fired, one has probably one more year.

As a Tech fan, I think this was the smart thing to do. How many players want to risk (no, correction: How many PARENTS want to risk) going to a college where a player might get treated in weird ways by the head coach?

Tech will win the bowl game. Where it goes from there is anybody's guess.

Leach was mad at the Myers for not extending him sonner last year and started looking around for another job. This made Tech have to pay the going rate for Leach. This ticked off the Administration. When you combine that with Leachs' attitude it had to end poorly.

The question is can they find another coach that is as good as Leach that will be willing to come to Lubbock?

I think the answer is probably no but we shall see.

Kaiser Toro
12-30-2009, 07:26 PM
is there a silly Rooney rule in the NCAA too? seems like that's the only time ol' Jerry gets an interview.

Not that I am aware of. However, Jerry Gray is from Lubbock and has a number of advocates in Lubbock. He was an NCAA All-American, All-Pro and a Def Coordinator, who just can't seem to close anyone to become a HC in the NFL.

Kind of sounds like a perfect fit with mutual risk and benefits.

Errant Hothy
12-30-2009, 07:50 PM
So after 48 hours, no other player, current or past, has come forward with anything near a similar story or experience.

Odd?

News broadcat out of Lubbock, shows the locations in question; and at teh end drops the nugget that the invetigation into James' claims is still ongoing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Q_5nYwWLU

GP
12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Not that I am aware of. However, Jerry Gray is from Lubbock and has a number of advocates in Lubbock. He was an NCAA All-American, All-Pro and a Def Coordinator, who just can't seem to close anyone to become a HC in the NFL.

Wow. I had forgotten about Jerry Gray.

Nice dig, KT.

He's been to the NFL, isn't getting the Redskins job, and needs a college head coaching job to perhaps get a shot in the NFL some day.

Perfect fit.

I'm serious when I say that Leach is overrated. I think he has installed that offense to the point where his o-coord and offensive assistants could run that thing in their sleep.

I have a bit of info to spread in my next post, btw.

GP
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
So I just called my friend who lives in Lubbock.

He's an OU graduate, as is his wife, but his company relocated them to Lubbock this year.

He says Lubbock is on fire. It's chaos and madness beyond your wildest dreams over this Leach situation.

Apparently, people are breaking into the football stadium and THROWING their Red Raider items ONTO THE FIELD!

People are flying their Red Raider flags upside down.

Season ticket holders are calling in and saying they've already cancelled their season tickets over this ordeal.

HOWEVER........

There is a friend of theirs who has posted on facebook that they have inside scoop on this whole deal. Apparently, there's a helluva' lot of dirt on Mike Leach that people don't know about yet.

The person ended their post with this: "While I can't say what else had happened, let me just say this: 'Mike Leach is a f-r-e-a-k.'..."

LOL. They're better off without him.

I think the guy is seriously losing his mind at an early age.

Silver Oak
12-30-2009, 09:32 PM

didn't realize the Lubbock connection. NFL would lose a good coach, but it does sound like a good fit.

GP
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
So have any of you guys thought about this:

Bobby Knight got so entangled in controversy with IU that they ran him off, subsequently helping TTU rebuild its basketball team due to Bobby's reputation for winning.

Now? TTU has fired Leach, and he possibly could carry a bit of that swagger into some other needy football program that just needed a bit of a personality and a recruiting edge over its rivals.

Going to be verrry interesting to see if there is the sort of fan-crazed hysteria with Leach's new college town that we saw when Bobby Knight arrived to Lubbock where mama's were naming their babies "General" or "Coach" upon the news that Bobby Knight was coming to town as the new coach.

LOL.

What drama. What pandemonium! Oh, the humanity!!!!

:hindenburg:

Stemp
12-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Mike Leach's statement...

"I want everyone to know what a privilege and pleasure it has been to teach and coach more than 400 student-athletes at Texas Tech University over the past 10 years.

When I arrived at Texas Tech, the football program was on NCAA probation and the graduation rate was far below the national average. However, in the past 10 years, Tech has been to 10 straight bowl games, has the third best record in the Big 12 Conference, and has the highest graduation rate for football players of any public institution in the country.

Over the past several months, there have been individuals in the Texas Tech administration, Board of Regents and booster groups who have dealt in lies, and continue to do so. These lies have led to my firing this morning. I steadfastly refuse to deal in any lies, and am disappointed that I have not been afforded the opportunity for the truth to be known.

Texas Tech's decision to deal in lies and fabricate a story which led to my firing, includes, but is not limited by, the animosity remaining from last year's contract negotiations. I will not tolerate such retaliatory action; additionally, we will pursue all available legal remedies.

These actions taken by Texas Tech have severely damaged my reputation and public image. In addition, Texas Tech has caused harm to not only my family, but to the entire Red Raider nation and the sport of college football.

As you know, I prefer to engage in question and answer sessions; however, in this instance my counsel has advised me to simply make a statement. There will be time to answer questions about this issue in the future, but the serious legal nature of this situation prevents me from going into further detail at this time."

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=11750321

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I think people are overrating Leach to begin with. It's not like he turned Tech into a powerhouse elite football program. He's not Carroll, Brown, Meyer, etc.

Don't get me wrong, he improved the team. Took them to 10 straight bowl games, which is great. But I think what he did above all was bring a little excitement to their program. Lots of offense, high scoring and he always had his antics... the guy is crazy.

But the bottom line is that Tech, even under the coaching of Leach has always been a mediocre program.

*8 of his 10 seasons they have had 4 or more losses.
*They've only had a winning conference record 5 of his 10 seasons.
*10 years and they never won their division outright. There was the 3 way tie last year, (only season they had dbl digit wins) but then they just get manhandled by a barely ranked SEC team in the cotton bowl.
*Barely has a winning record in bowl games (5-4)
*Never went to a BCS bowl game

Sure he's done some good for the program, but he hasn't made Tech into a top program. Some of their fans think maybe he has, but no. They're a mediocre team and have been for the past decade.

FirstTexansFan
12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
I may have missed it in the thread, but I saw this between a conversation with Eric Winston and someone else this morning on Twitter.

Smoking Gun Emails

Link (http://www.texansxtreme.com/downloads/1231leach.pdf)

Texan_Bill
12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
I may have missed it in the thread, but I saw this between a conversation with Eric Winston and someone else this morning on Twitter.

Smoking Gun Emails

Daaaaamn!!!

Cjeremy635
12-31-2009, 09:54 AM

Smoking Gun Emails

That looks really bad. A lot of information in those emails!

edo783
12-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Good thing they never planned to get rid of Leach for a year or so, oh wait, they did.

GP
12-31-2009, 11:00 AM
I think people are overrating Leach to begin with. It's not like he turned Tech into a powerhouse elite football program. He's not Carroll, Brown, Meyer, etc.

Don't get me wrong, he improved the team. Took them to 10 straight bowl games, which is great. But I think what he did above all was bring a little excitement to their program. Lots of offense, high scoring and he always had his antics... the guy is crazy.

But the bottom line is that Tech, even under the coaching of Leach has always been a mediocre program.

*8 of his 10 seasons they have had 4 or more losses.
*They've only had a winning conference record 5 of his 10 seasons.
*10 years and they never won their division outright. There was the 3 way tie last year, (only season they had dbl digit wins) but then they just get manhandled by a barely ranked SEC team in the cotton bowl.
*Barely has a winning record in bowl games (5-4)
*Never went to a BCS bowl game

Sure he's done some good for the program, but he hasn't made Tech into a top program. Some of their fans think maybe he has, but no. They're a mediocre team and have been for the past decade.

That's exactly how I feel.

Improved the program, but outside of that...he hasn't exactly raised them to the standard necessary to really challenge UT or OU. Of course, all the other Big 12 teams have always been playing catch-up with UT and OU since those two teams found prominence and have essentially been scooping up top recruits for decades now.

Tech needs to obtain more than a gimmick now. They need someone who can out-recruit Brown and Stoops. Someone who can lure recruits. I think it's possible because the current Tech program is stocked with enough talent in their pipeline that a new coach can convince high school players that Tech is in a great position to go to the next level.

If the Red Raiders don't make a big splash, they will limp on for another season or two...and then probably start to decline again.

Firing Leach was not a big deal, IMO.

Who they hire NOW will be.

disaacks3
12-31-2009, 11:26 AM
That looks really bad. A lot of information in those emails!
No kidding. Having words in there like "after you fire him", and the basic 'belittling' that seems to exude from that email chain would be VERY damaging in court (or in front of an arbitration panel). Wow! If those are "real" TT is in for a rough ride (pun fully intended).

Showtime100
12-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Have the police been involved?? Curious.

GP
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
No kidding. Having words in there like "after you fire him", and the basic 'belittling' that seems to exude from that email chain would be VERY damaging in court (or in front of an arbitration panel). Wow! If those are "real" TT is in for a rough ride (pun fully intended).

I read the emails, and I don't see anything all that dubious or evil.

Look, there's been some friction between Leach and TTU administrations for quite some time.

IMO, this was a classic case of a football coach thinking that his accomplishments would shelter him from being fired. He's not a tenured professor. Football coaches are hired and fired all the time.

Remember the coach who was fired, Boston College (IIRC), because he simply interviewed or showed interest in another program?

TTU nutted up and did what they were going to have to do anyway. They just dealt the death blow earlier than excpected, and they have saved themselves a long, drawn-out squabble that would have hurt the current team as it prepares for the game...as well as hurting the upcoming recruiting class.

Axing him before that Wednesday hearing was pretty smart, IMO. He's out. And now he's got to do a lot of work to get his message out. While TTU is playing in a bowl game, led by a solid guy in Ruffin McNeil, and will be on the sports news for the next month or two under the topic of "TTU interviewing x-candidate today. Y-candidate set to meet with TTU the following week..." etc. etc.

Meanwhile, the offense is in tact. The assistants can handle the daily duties of preparing the offense, and a new guy can come him. I anticipate TTU hiring a very humble, low-key guy who is not weird and who will normalize the atmosphere that was getting more bizarre by the week.

Look for a grandpa, Spike Dykes-kind of figure. Probably will be someone who is from Texas and who has rich legacy in both high school AND college football. Offense stays the same, but the leadership will be more mature and less goofy/eccentric.

Or, as KT pointed out: Jerry Gray would be a great fit, too. As a TTU fan, I'd be OK with Jerry Gray. TTU heritage, been in the NFL and has seen what it takes to get there, and I think his mind for defense would compliment Ruffin's skills in that area.

b0ng
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I watched this story unfold on ESPN and holy **** can you tell that they have an extremely biased point of view. Craig James basically just says "But my son!"
to any sort of questioning.

Leach should've cut ties with the kid immediately upon learning of his slackerness, but to put a kid in a darkened room, so that he can work-out close to the team while he has a mild concussion is not akin to Abu Gharib. Yes there were trainers there to make sure he actually worked out (As referenced by Harrell, kid is a slacker and has a bad attitude), and when he didn't they removed the coolers to sit on. Boo frickety hoo. Nobody was locked anywhere and James could've left if he wanted to get suspended from the team to get out of workouts.

TTU, firing Leach without any investigation, is probably going to get dragged through the mud and I can see this hurting their recruiting classes for the next few years AT LEAST. But hey, at least they got rid of that wierdo Mike Leach! Now lets go compete with Baylor for the bottom of the Big XII. I have no problem thinking that Leach will land on his feet and turn another football program into an offensive powerhouse.

EDIT: And yes before you ask Tech was an offensive powerhouse under Leach.

GP
12-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I watched this story unfold on ESPN and holy **** can you tell that they have an extremely biased point of view. Craig James basically just says "But my son!"
to any sort of questioning.

Leach should've cut ties with the kid immediately upon learning of his slackerness, but to put a kid in a darkened room, so that he can work-out close to the team while he has a mild concussion is not akin to Abu Gharib. Yes there were trainers there to make sure he actually worked out (As referenced by Harrell, kid is a slacker and has a bad attitude), and when he didn't they removed the coolers to sit on. Boo frickety hoo. Nobody was locked anywhere and James could've left if he wanted to get suspended from the team to get out of workouts.

TTU, firing Leach without any investigation, is probably going to get dragged through the mud and I can see this hurting their recruiting classes for the next few years AT LEAST. But hey, at least they got rid of that wierdo Mike Leach! Now lets go compete with Baylor for the bottom of the Big XII. I have no problem thinking that Leach will land on his feet and turn another football program into an offensive powerhouse.

EDIT: And yes before you ask Tech was an offensive powerhouse under Leach.

Mike Leach got careless. Period.

The only fault is with Mike Leach.

1.) He signed Adam James when one (if not more than one!) staff member said it was a bad idea, due to known issues with James' work ethic.

Mike Leach went against the grain, though, and signed him.

2.) During practices, teammates would criticize him and pretty much call him out for his attitude.

Still, Mike Leach told people that Adam James would some day see the light. No pun intended.

3.) Instead of cutting Adam James, like any coach CAN, he decides to get a little dig in on Adam James and Leach therefore got "cute" with how he handled the situation.

Mike Leach should not have signed him, and still had the chance to get rid of the proven, consistent trouble-maker.

Nobody but Captain Weirdo caused this situation. He gave himself all the rope that Tech needed to hang him. His bad.

Tech will find a mature ADULT to become the head coach; a guy who will have no problem inheriting Leach's recruiting class and doing something with it. The new coach is going to be someone that is very "Aw, shucks...I just love these kids and what a nice little town we got here in Lubbock" kind of man. He'll be the antithesis of what Leach embodied, in terms of personality.

Tech will never face a Mike Leach-coached team, so there will never be a chance for Leach to duel it out with his former team. All he can do now is pout and throw stones at TTU...which will end up hurting HIM if he doesn't play his cards smartly.

Whether it was wrong or not, TTU used pirate rules against its own captain. Seems the TTU higher-ups were paying close attention to Leach's pirate ways of doing things.

b0ng
01-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Mike Leach got careless. Period.

The only fault is with Mike Leach.

1.) He signed Adam James when one (if not more than one!) staff member said it was a bad idea, due to known issues with James' work ethic.

Mike Leach went against the grain, though, and signed him.

2.) During practices, teammates would criticize him and pretty much call him out for his attitude.

Still, Mike Leach told people that Adam James would some day see the light. No pun intended.

3.) Instead of cutting Adam James, like any coach CAN, he decides to get a little dig in on Adam James and Leach therefore got "cute" with how he handled the situation.

Mike Leach should not have signed him, and still had the chance to get rid of the proven, consistent trouble-maker.

Nobody but Captain Weirdo caused this situation. He gave himself all the rope that Tech needed to hang him. His bad.

Tech will find a mature ADULT to become the head coach; a guy who will have no problem inheriting Leach's recruiting class and doing something with it. The new coach is going to be someone that is very "Aw, shucks...I just love these kids and what a nice little town we got here in Lubbock" kind of man. He'll be the antithesis of what Leach embodied, in terms of personality.

Tech will never face a Mike Leach-coached team, so there will never be a chance for Leach to duel it out with his former team. All he can do now is pout and throw stones at TTU...which will end up hurting HIM if he doesn't play his cards smartly.

Whether it was wrong or not, TTU used pirate rules against its own captain. Seems the TTU higher-ups were paying close attention to Leach's pirate ways of doing things.

Well all I can say is yes, Mike Leach is completely at fault for having a known slacker with a poor attitude on his team and not dealing with him as any other normal coach would (cut him), and instead gave him multiple chances to succeed.

If you really believe the bolded part, only time will tell, but lets just say I'm a tiny bit more skeptical they pull that off.

Hagar
01-01-2010, 11:28 AM
After reading the e-mails that were discovered by the Dallas Morning News, you'd have to be pretty desperate to want the TT job now.

Mike should have walked last year.

b0ng
01-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Some more interesting tidbits:

Houston Press Editorial (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/12/mike_leach_espn_tech.php)

Secondly, the degree to which Sowell talks about Leach in the emails is amazing. It's actually counterintuitive, in a way. The string of emails illustrates a portion of the exhausting renegotiation process the school chooses to go through with a coach that, by Sowell's assessment, is a complete undesirable who is barely competent to get an interview at McDonald's much less Auburn. My question to Sowell would be "If he's as much of a buffoon as you make him out to be, then what does that say about every other hire the school has ever made to coach football, because Leach is far and away your best coach and the main reason people outside of Texas can now find Lubbock on a map?" Sorry, it's just a fact and judging by the reaction of most Texas Tech fans today, they agree.

Trainer contradicts Adams story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4787194&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4787194)

TTU fans upset [video] (http://www.kcbd.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=4426386&h1=Fans%20fight%20weather%20to%20rally%20at%20Texa s%20Tech&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=108000&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport&activePane=info&rnd=3131754)

NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/sports/ncaafootball/01leach.html?ref=sports). <--- Pro Click Zone
“I think he used his position at ESPN to try to coerce me into allowing Adam to play more,” said Leach, who said he expected to coach again. “But the thing about it is as the coach, I watch every inch of film. I’m deferring to the judgment of 12 people as we look at the film on who should play and who should play when and then we make our decision based on that. I don’t feel like it’s fair to the other players and I don’t think it’s the right way to do business to allow influence and position to dictate when you play a young man.”

Leach said that Craig James called the assistant coach Lincoln Riley so often to lobby for playing time that they had a meeting with Adam James. They played him two of the messages and asked, “How would you feel if we went in there to the meeting room and we stuck speakers up and we played these two messages for the team?”

Leach added: “After that we didn’t get any more phone calls from Craig, but he did proceed to call administrators.”

Leach said that Craig James felt his son was not getting a fair shot and threatened to call the administration about it.

“He made it clear that he had a business relationship with our chancellor or certainly was in conversation about such things,” Leach said. “He made it clear that he was announcing this game or that. He always felt like we were leaving the best receiver on the team on the bench. It’s inconceivable that we’d ever want to do that or consider doing it.”

Extended ESPN Leach and Rece Davis interview (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4787853) <-- Pro Click Zone

Enjoy. And Happy New Years.

Goatcheese
01-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Wow, Craig and his worthless son are total douche nozzles.

TTU is going to get hammered when this goes to court. They'll be lucky to only have to pay Leach the full value of his contract.

GP
01-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Well all I can say is yes, Mike Leach is completely at fault for having a known slacker with a poor attitude on his team and not dealing with him as any other normal coach would (cut him), and instead gave him multiple chances to succeed.

If you really believe the bolded part, only time will tell, but lets just say I'm a tiny bit more skeptical they pull that off.

There's always some coach out there who says "Gee whiz, how did the previous coach screw all of that up? I'll take the job."

One man's mistake is always another man's gain.

I am not happy that it appears Craig James did what he did. I am not happy that Adam James tried to play a team sport when it appears he is an individual who is out for himself. Those two people are engaged in a selfish crusade, so it seems. Note to self: Never sign a kid whose daddy is an analyst at ESPN. Duh.

The maturity of Leach should have entered the equation at several points, though. I still can't understand how he could be so soft as to (a) ignore the warnings from his staff members regarding bringing him onto the team in the first place, (b) fail to punish Adam James or cut him from the team at so many points of time when it was clear he was a big problem with team chemistry, and (c) put Adam James is shaming positions in order to try and deal with the issue. Just CUT the kid. Be a man already!

There's a book entitled "How Come Every Time I Get Stabbed In The Back, My Fingerprints Are On The Knife?" and it's by a professor who says that we are invariably, to some degree, responsible for the back-stabbings we receive.

Leach, via his own stubborness and lack of caution, has essentially aided the James family and TTU to do to him what was done.

Was it right of the James family? Hell no!

Was it right of TTU? I'm split on it. The emails reveal that they were tired of paying him more than the head coaches of their other sports programs, that they were tired of dealing with his agent and his lawyers, and that they were tired of Mike engaging in contract leveraging by arranging interviews with programs that didn't even have interest in him.

In the end, Mike Leach should learn that he doesn't run a pirate ship. He runs a program of BOYS who are trying to become men. And those BOYS have mommas and daddies who still have a pudgy finger in the pie of their son's life at college. And in the end, a university is going to make sure that their public image is one of taking care of BOYS who are trying to become men. If they lose that, they lose everything. Or so that's the perception/concern the universities have.

Someone will pounce on the ready-made program Leach created.

GP
01-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow, Craig and his worthless son are total douche nozzles.

TTU is going to get hammered when this goes to court. They'll be lucky to only have to pay Leach the full value of his contract.

Agreed. Not really a fan of Craig james anymore. Daddy got what he wanted.

I think TTU pays him the $800,000 completion bonus and whatever remainder or buyout is there in the contract.

b0ng
01-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Agreed. Not really a fan of Craig james anymore. Daddy got what he wanted.

I think TTU pays him the $800,000 completion bonus and whatever remainder or buyout is there in the contract.

That's what I think too. I've also read, somewhere, that Art Briles has already stated interest in the job. We'll see if they pick him up and if he can do any better at TTU than he has at Baylor and did at Houston.

Houston_Fanatic
01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike Leach is the only one to blame here. You can't blame the kid - he is just a kid and not in charge - Leach is (or was). Leach let his over-inflated opinion of himself cloud his judgement.

Errant Hothy
01-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Why does everybody refer to Adam James as a kid? He, like all others over 18, is an adult. An adult who needs his daddy to still hold his hand and wipe his ass, but an adult none the less.

GP
01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
That's what I think too. I've also read, somewhere, that Art Briles has already stated interest in the job. We'll see if they pick him up and if he can do any better at TTU than he has at Baylor and did at Houston.

Yeah, but in the emails...didn't I see where they were bashing Briles, as well?

As if he was being paid more than he should have been, at Baylor?

Can't recall exactly what was in the emails, but I swear there was some minor trash-talking about Briles. I do remember that they had HIGH praise for the TCU coach...only because he was being paid peanuts for what he had done with TCU's program.

In the end, TTU is cheap with how they operate. And I do feel that they have hurt themselves for the next several years. You can't come out of this deal unscathed, and TTU will have a lot of mending to do.

IMO, TTU is the school where Dallas-area rich kids go because they couldn't get into UT or A&M due to grades. So the rich parents feel snubbed, and they send their snotty kid off to Lubbock where they're the perfect fit for that sort of university. They love nothing more than to try and beat UT, OU, and A&M, as revenge or to make themselves feel better. Mike Leach gave them that chance to do exactly that, and now they are raising all kinds of hell because they might become weak again.

I'm as big of a TTU fan as any one else here, but it is what it is. TTU and Lubbock is a mediocre Texas university, clamoring for only a bit of what UT and OU has achieved. They're the powerhouse of mediocre Big 12 teams.

I like Ruffin McNeil a lot. Not sure if he could lead them the whole way, through a whole season, but I think he gets the job done in this bowl game.

I also feel the spread offense stays at TTU, no matter who comes in to coach. Those o-coord and assistants are going to stay and run that offense. IMO, they will gain a more mature head coach who is a better leader than Leach. Mike was a guy the players liked; the fans liked. But the new guy is going to be someone who isn't liked--He'll be RESPECTED.

GP
01-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Why does everybody refer to Adam James as a kid? He, like all others over 18, is an adult. An adult who needs his daddy to still hold his hand and wipe his ass, but an adult none the less.

See, that's where I differ.

To me, all college students are kids who are trying to become adults.

They cry to their professors when they need one more point to get from 69 to 70 on their semester-end grades.

They whine when they fail to get registered for a class, and the class is full, and they end up begging everyone who will listen to them for the chance to either get into the class or get a class equivalent to be able to have the right workload.

They party like rock stars. Sleep in until noon whenever they can.

I think some parents put their kids out their on their own, and some (like Craig James has done) coddle the kid and keep them at kid level for too long.

To me, Mike Leach is the adult. Adam James is the kid. And Leach severely underestimated how much animosity the TTU administrators had toward him, and how close they were to being done with him.

It was the perfect storm of circumstances, but it was a storm that Mike Leach could have avoided had he taken the right direction with Adam James.

No Adam James, no problems.

b0ng
01-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah, but in the emails...didn't I see where they were bashing Briles, as well?

As if he was being paid more than he should have been, at Baylor?

Can't recall exactly what was in the emails, but I swear there was some minor trash-talking about Briles. I do remember that they had HIGH praise for the TCU coach...only because he was being paid peanuts for what he had done with TCU's program.

In the end, TTU is cheap with how they operate. And I do feel that they have hurt themselves for the next several years. You can't come out of this deal unscathed, and TTU will have a lot of mending to do.

IMO, TTU is the school where Dallas-area rich kids go because they couldn't get into UT or A&M due to grades. So the rich parents feel snubbed, and they send their snotty kid off to Lubbock where they're the perfect fit for that sort of university. They love nothing more than to try and beat UT, OU, and A&M, as revenge or to make themselves feel better. Mike Leach gave them that chance to do exactly that, and now they are raising all kinds of hell because they might become weak again.

I'm as big of a TTU fan as any one else here, but it is what it is. TTU and Lubbock is a mediocre Texas university, clamoring for only a bit of what UT and OU has achieved. They're the powerhouse of mediocre Big 12 teams.

I like Ruffin McNeil a lot. Not sure if he could lead them the whole way, through a whole season, but I think he gets the job done in this bowl game.

I also feel the spread offense stays at TTU, no matter who comes in to coach. Those o-coord and assistants are going to stay and run that offense. IMO, they will gain a more mature head coach who is a better leader than Leach. Mike was a guy the players liked; the fans liked. But the new guy is going to be someone who isn't liked--He'll be RESPECTED.

Did you like Leach before this all happened?

Goldensilence
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Texas Tech just screwed themselves in multiple ways.

No, I didn't think Leach was an all world coach by any means. But he recruited well in a an area that is difficult to do so considering he has to draw from the same recruiting are as OU, UT and I think in time Sherman's going to get A&M back to a good place again. Gary Patterson at TCU is also making good case for kids to go there as well. Leach has done good job making a system out there that works with what he could recruit with the big boys in the big 12. Say what you will before Leach Tech was a scrappy team, but if he had a QB who knew his system they were highly competitive.

Also just likely screwed Leach's last recruiting class and after this fiasco they are going to have a difficult time getting a reputable head coach out there.

I don't think Leach comes out totally unscathed, but I doubt he has trouble finding at least some sort of employment quickly.

WWJD
01-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Tommy Tubberville has said he would love the TT job.

dc_txtech
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM

They cry to their professors when they need one more point to get from 69 to 70 on their semester-end grades.

They whine when they fail to get registered for a class, and the class is full, and they end up begging everyone who will listen to them for the chance to either get into the class or get a class equivalent to be able to have the right workload.

I think some parents put their kids out their on their own, and some (like Craig James has done) coddle the kid and keep them at kid level for too long.

Speak for yourself, I'm a proud Texas Tech alum and I worked my ass off to get my degree.

GP
01-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Speak for yourself, I'm a proud Texas Tech alum and I worked my ass off to get my degree.

Oh geez, get off the sauce for a second.

You know damn well that college students (I know, I used to be one!) are not anywhere near being the sort of adult that you grow into once you LEAVE college.

I was not knocking you, nor anyone else who has worked hard. I took 21 hours a semester and graduated in four years. I, too, worked very hard. But that doesn't mean I was the model "young adult" that we're discussing here.

In reality, Mike Leach could have been smarter.

And Adam James? He's just playing his role: Snotty college kid who had his daddy make a few phone calls. Maybe that's not how it works for you, nor I, but there's a boat-load of college kids whose parent(s) play an active role in their kids' college life. Especially when it comes to authority figures who try to grow the kid up a little.

GP
01-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Did you like Leach before this all happened?

About a month ago, I was getting a haircut in a local SportsClip.

The TTU game was on the big screen as I waited, and a guy next to me was NOT a Red Raider fan. He and I were talking, and I said "You know what? This year I am just not high on Mike Leach anymore. His act has worn thin for me. I'm kinda' getting tired of his antics, and the team is really just a powerhouse of mediocre Big 12 teams."

So, "Yes," I did like him before this happened.

But the "fat little girlfriends" comment, and how Potts wore "Nick" on the back of his jersey, and playing Sheffield when Sheffield had only one good foot to scramble on, instead of playing Potts (who was at least able to scramble a little, compared to Sheffield at the time) was it for me.

It was a culmination of weird, eccentric actions that made me start to think that Mike Leach had gone too far down that road he built in his own imagination/world.

I hate it that it ended up like this. I really do. I think the University had reasons to do what it did, and that things were at a boiling point anyway. Had it not been for Adam James and Craig James, I think Mike Leach is coaching at TTU right now.

And that, IMO, is the fault of the person who took on Adam James and then refused to get rid of him. Can't fault Leach for trying to trust Adam James and to try and coach him up. But there were red flags there, for Leach, and I feel he sort of ignored the warning signs. And it cost him.

TTU does not like to pay a lot of $$$ for coaches. They know they are not a UT or OU or A&M. They just want to carve out a little space for themselves, and plug away with a low-budget approach in most cases. Small West Texas town, small-town coaches with folksy charm, etc. Leach's intellect and maneuvering scared the hell out of them. They just want someone who won't rock the boat and who will plug away and mind their coaching business and just accept what money is offered 'em.

I hope Leach lands somewhere, and I hope he does well.

GP
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Tommy Tubberville has said he would love the TT job.

He's Mike Leach without the dry, weird humor.

They won't go after him.

They want someone who is down-home, folksy, and Spike Dykes'ish.

Errant Hothy
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

To me, Mike Leach is the adult. Adam James is the kid. And Leach severely underestimated how much animosity the TTU administrators had toward him, and how close they were to being done with him.

It was the perfect storm of circumstances, but it was a storm that Mike Leach could have avoided had he taken the right direction with Adam James.

James was a redshirt sophomore which makes him around 21. Well past the point of needing his daddy to step in on his behalf.

My biggest concern is a replacement who can recruit as well as Leach did, something I don't think will be done easily.

Errant Hothy
01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
He's Mike Leach without the dry, weird humor.

They won't go after him.

They want someone who is down-home, folksy, and Spike Dykes'ish.

I hope not.

Spike was a good guy, but not that good of coach or a recruiter.

ObsiWan
01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Timing of this is odd, before the appeal hearing and before the 800,000 bonus coming to.

BINGO!!
Always follow the money. I usually leads to the truth.

GP
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
James was a redshirt sophomore which makes him around 21. Well past the point of needing his daddy to step in on his behalf.

My biggest concern is a replacement who can recruit as well as Leach did, something I don't think will be done easily.

I think TTU's coach, whoever it might be, should tell recruits and their parents that Mike Leach was valuable, but that the team moves on and the team is set to fire on all guns because of the system and the returning players.

As coach, I'd make sure those parents and players knew that the same system is in place, and that the assistants ran the offense anyways.

And in addition, I'd close the deal with this: "Now, there's a head coach--ME--who isn't going to pull weird crap with your son. Same system. Same assistants. More mature leadership. If your son desires to come to Texas Tech, we're going to take care of him. I promise you that."

Which will only confirm what TTU has been selling the past few days: "TTU is dedicated to shaping young men, and guiding them in proper manners."

Boom.

Let Leach throw stones from the cheap seats, and let's see who wins the contest. He's on the short end of the stick. It's just how life works.

GP
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
I think TTU's coach, whoever it might be, should tell recruits and their parents that Mike Leach was valuable, but that the team moves on and the team is set to fire on all guns because of the system and the returning players.

As coach, I'd make sure those parents and players knew that the same system is in place, and that the assistants ran the offense anyways.

And in addition, I'd close the deal with this: "Now, there's a head coach--ME--who isn't going to pull weird crap with your son. Same system. Same assistants. More mature leadership. If your son desires to come to Texas Tech, we're going to take care of him. I promise you that."

Which will only confirm what TTU has been selling the past few days: "TTU is dedicated to shaping young men, and guiding them in proper manners."

Boom.

Let Leach throw stones from the cheap seats, and let's see who wins the contest. He's on the short end of the stick. It's just how life works.

And what did Ruffin McNeil say in his first remarks after winning the game?

"I've already told parents that I will take care of their most prized possession: Their kids."

Smart man. He knows what the TTU motto is.

I think they give him one year, to keep continuity and momentum going.

LonerATO
01-03-2010, 02:54 AM

I guess I was still a kid in your eyes in college even though I worked 40 hours a week to pay my way, made good grades and still partied my ass off. I also didnt know that many people that bitched to a prof for a better grade, when once the grades are posted there is nothing you can do about it.

GP
01-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I guess I was still a kid in your eyes in college even though I worked 40 hours a week to pay my way, made good grades and still partied my ass off. I also didnt know that many people that bitched to a prof for a better grade, when once the grades are posted there is nothing you can do about it.

(Sigh)

Well, you are in the minority. As was I.

I already posted a response to the "But I was special" poster to explain it better.

If you think the majority of college students are like you, and me, you're wrong. They come in droves, in their mom and dad's SUVs and get weekly allowances from them. I should know, I worked for 3 years as a recruiter at a four-year college and part of my job duties was to help with freshman orientation.

I was arguing that Adam James is your typical college student.

You were not. I was not. But you and I do not typify America's college culture. I was saying, once again, that Mike Leach is the adult and Adam James was the snotty kid. I think that description fits. The adult should have refused to let the kid be on the team. Seems an easy fix, to me.

There's a lot of Craig and Adam James in the college world. Mommies and daddies who bail out their child and have a stranglehold on the kid's life. It naturally slows the maturing process. For the TYPICAL college student in today's American colleges, they're very much un-adult and still a kid.

bah007
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Texas Tech would be foolish not to hire Ruffin as the next head coach, I think.

And from everything I have seen and heard it appears that Leach is going to kick some serious ass in court.

WWJD
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I would think they'd offer him some type of financial settlement rather than some long court proceedings...

but I don't know what makes Tech tick...maybe they think they can't lose in court.

I heard Coach Leach's attorney on the Dallas ESPN station and let's just say I'm surprised he hired that guy! He seemed very unprepared for the radio interview and was not very well spoken. I was surprised. He's probably high dollar. I thought he'd be more polished sounding.

bah007
01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
I would think they'd offer him some type of financial settlement rather than some long court proceedings...

but I don't know what makes Tech tick...maybe they think they can't lose in court.

I heard Coach Leach's attorney on the Dallas ESPN station and let's just say I'm surprised he hired that guy! He seemed very unprepared for the radio interview and was not very well spoken. I was surprised. He's probably high dollar. I thought he'd be more polished sounding.

I thought the same thing. He sounded like he was caught totally off guard.

WWJD
01-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I thought the same thing. He sounded like he was caught totally off guard.

Right! I heard that guy and I thought this is the best Coach Leach can get??

He didn't sound like a high dollar attorney definitely! And I'm sure he is...

even the ESPN guys there in Dallas were saying they couldn't believe how the interview went.

Hope he does better in court! Must be a family member of Coach Leach's!

silvrhand
01-04-2010, 12:48 AM
A few of us have been talking about Leach's antics before this. I think it was the Texas game or one of them where he pulled the fans off the players and pulled the benches so noone could sit down.

There will be more to this story if it ever comes out, Leach has been pushing the limits of coaching in todays world for a while. You can't treat players like Bear Bryant and the "Junction Boys" anymore.

silvrhand
01-04-2010, 01:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallascolleges/post/_/id/4665821/tech-players-describe-trail-of-problems

Just a quick note as well, if the players were not happy they would not come out in support of Jones, I'm sorry guys but after reading a lot of the articles I think Leach turned the team against him.

Stemp
01-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I think the players know which side their bread is buttered on, especially the underclassmen, and got fired up trying to win a starting spot next year. Leach wasn't the most popular coach, but I think he was the brains of the operation and the one was is able to make adjustments and change things as needed. If they hire they Ruf, then Tech is in for a slide for a few years while he figures out the whole head coach thing. It's one thing to take over the reins for a team already trained. It's another to do the training yourself knowing each team is different.

WWJD
01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I heard on the Dallas ESPN radio show that Tommy Tubberville was going to be interviewed by Tech..he wants the job. Badly.

Hmmm...

Texan_Bill
01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
I heard on the Dallas ESPN radio show that Tommy Tubberville was going to be interviewed by Tech..he wants the job. Badly.

Hmmm...

Of course he does. He wants a job. :spin:

WWJD
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Of course he does. He wants a job. :spin:

I imagine he has some change still in the bank from his other jobs...he was saying he wanted that job almost the same day Leach got fired.

Goldensilence
01-06-2010, 01:48 AM

Hmmm...

I think he's got the name recognition that TT would likely desire, but I don't think his past experience with running a spread offense bodes well for his chances.

I honestly expect a big push for Art Briles in the coming week or I believe the OC at Houston used to be the same position at Tech. I think both have experience with the offense that Leach ran and what will keep them competitive in the Big 12. Administration also has to keep in mind that this year's recruiting class will likely hinge on the decision.

bah007
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
I think he's got the name recognition that TT would likely desire, but I don't think his past experience with running a spread offense bodes well for his chances.

I honestly expect a big push for Art Briles in the coming week or I believe the OC at Houston used to be the same position at Tech. I think both have experience with the offense that Leach ran and what will keep them competitive in the Big 12. Administration also has to keep in mind that this year's recruiting class will likely hinge on the decision.

I don't think anybody will be able to pull Briles out of Baylor until Robert Griffin graduates.

WWJD
01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking I heard on the radio where Briles has already said he's not interested.

4Texans
01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Briles has said he's not leaving Baylor, and he has a $4 mill buy out on his contract right now from what was said on the radio. He's a logical choice, but I don't think TT will pony up the money for that and a new contract.

I think they may leave Ruffin and the AC staff in for the continuity and $avings, and ride the storm out with Leach in court to see what they may owe him.

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Rumor floating around these parts that Briles is still in the running and may even be the frontrunner. Keyword rumor.

GP
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Briles has said he's not leaving Baylor, and he has a $4 mill buy out on his contract right now from what was said on the radio. He's a logical choice, but I don't think TT will pony up the money for that and a new contract.

I think they may leave Ruffin and the AC staff in for the continuity and $avings, and ride the storm out with Leach in court to see what they may owe him.

That's my exact thinking on this issue.

Ruffin ensures that the momentum is not lost. Plus, he'll be as cheap as TTU likes to pay its coaches. It's a win-win situation for TTU.

Briles ain't coming to TTU. The dollars from TTU are not there for it to happen, especially with a lawsuit awaiting them.

Tommy Toobervilla, to me, is just so not the guy that TTU needs. He doesn't represent what TTU is.

Honestly, TTU is using Tubaville to get Ruffin to agree to a low salary. Without any competition for the spot, Ruffin's price would be higher. With a synthetic candidate (Tumorville) they have bargaining power.

"Well, Ruffin...we have Tommy looking pretty hard at this gig. What do you say we give you x-amount of money." And Ruffin says, "OK."

Errant Hothy
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
To me Ruffin is just Spyke after starring in "Soulman", and dammit I was there the when Zebby Lethridge was QB, when Hansbard racked up 2000 yards and a 0.0 GPA ( and then told everyone that God told him to enter the draft). And I refuse to believe that returnign to those days is whats best for Tech. Spyke was a good guy who did not graduate players and that was just ****ing embarssing. Nor did he win that many games.

My preferred canidates would be Briles, Tubberville and Lincoln Riley (sp?).

Ruffin and Dykes' kid will lead to me not being in Lubbock for the foreseeable future.

AND dammit I miss the calzones at One Guy's!!!!

Errant Hothy
01-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Craig James considering a run at Hutchinson's senate seat.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/james-being-considered-for-senate-seat-80955427.html

Former SMU football star and ESPN Analyst Craig James has made news recently regarding his role with his son and former Texas Tech Football Coach Mike Leach. But James could be making news this year in politics, too.

His name is being tossed around as a possible candidate to run for Kay Bailey Hutchison's seat when she resigns.

News 8 talked to James who confirmed he is interested in getting involved in Republican Party politics, and he's not ruling out a run for office.

bah007
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Another reason that Tech may want to keep Ruffin is that he will be easier to fire. If you bring someone in from the outside you have to give them three or four years. If you promote Ruffin and don't like the results, you can let him go anytime and not look dirty.

WWJD
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I heard Tommy Tubberville on the Dallas ESPN station..he said he thinks they will make a decision soon.

And he said he told them he wouldn't change the offense at all but he would make their defense a blitzing lights out defense.

ChampionTexan
01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
ESPN is reporting that Texas Tech will name Tommy Tuberville as their new Head Football Coach.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4811310)

Errant Hothy
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
ESPN is reporting that Texas Tech will name Tommy Tuberville as their new Head Football Coach.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4811310)

This makes me happy.

WWJD
01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Good. He has said since the day Leach was gone he wanted that job...he'll do well I think. He's excited about TT. I do know that from hearing him talk about his interview.

GP
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
To me Ruffin is just Spyke after starring in "Soulman", and dammit I was there the when Zebby Lethridge was QB, when Hansbard racked up 2000 yards and a 0.0 GPA ( and then told everyone that God told him to enter the draft). And I refuse to believe that returnign to those days is whats best for Tech. Spyke was a good guy who did not graduate players and that was just ****ing embarssing. Nor did he win that many games.

My preferred canidates would be Briles, Tubberville and Lincoln Riley (sp?).

Ruffin and Dykes' kid will lead to me not being in Lubbock for the foreseeable future.

AND dammit I miss the calzones at One Guy's!!!!

I was against Tuberville coming to Tech, but I guess I will have to trust that it will work out. My concern was him changing the offense, but it seems he's going to at least give it one year.

I suppose Ruffin will be fired so that Tubby can hire his own choice; someone who will be better (In Tubby's mind, at least) than Ruffin.

Kinda' sucks that Ruffin is going to be kicked to the curb like this, though. If he ends up being collateral damage, like how I think it will go down, then that's just not what I like to see.

I don't see how Tech's defense can get any more blitz happy than they already are. Seems to me they were very spirited and very committed to being a fast, tough defense. I think the talent level is what needs to rise a bit.

Man, this is a trip. Hope it all works out.

GP
01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I forgot all about the Zebbie Lethridge era there at Tech, until you mentioned it.

I can remember as far back as Billy Joe Tolliver, and I think I was a really small kid at that time. Maybe 4 or 5.

I grew up on a cotton farm just north of Shallowater, which is near Lubbock. There is no other stronger memory than growing up in Red Raider Land and how much that team meant to the area.

I can see how your comparison of Dykes to Ruffin is plausible.

Goldensilence
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I was against Tuberville coming to Tech, but I guess I will have to trust that it will work out. My concern was him changing the offense, but it seems he's going to at least give it one year.

I suppose Ruffin will be fired so that Tubby can hire his own choice; someone who will be better (In Tubby's mind, at least) than Ruffin.

Kinda' sucks that Ruffin is going to be kicked to the curb like this, though. If he ends up being collateral damage, like how I think it will go down, then that's just not what I like to see.

I don't see how Tech's defense can get any more blitz happy than they already are. Seems to me they were very spirited and very committed to being a fast, tough defense. I think the talent level is what needs to rise a bit.

Man, this is a trip. Hope it all works out.

This is weird but the sports radio station I listen out here is a subsidiary of ESPN Lubbock, so whether I am a fan or not I get a lot of Tech sports info.

They have been saying that part of the condition of him accepting the job was that the current staff stayed in place.

WWJD
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
This is weird but the sports radio station I listen out here is a subsidiary of ESPN Lubbock, so whether I am a fan or not I get a lot of Tech sports info.

They have been saying that part of the condition of him accepting the job was that the current staff stayed in place.

I heard the same thing. I don't think he will be doing any firing.

He did say on the Dallas ESPN station that he wouldn't change a thing on offense..they will continue to be pass crazy but that he wanted a more blitzing get after the ball defense. So maybe the scheme changes a bit on that side of the ball.

dc_txtech
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM

I heard that the offense will remain in place. Haven't heard anything reliable concerning the defense though....

dc_txtech
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I heard the same thing. I don't think he will be doing any firing.

He did say on the Dallas ESPN station that he wouldn't change a thing on offense..they will continue to be pass crazy but that he wanted a more blitzing get after the ball defense. So maybe the scheme changes a bit on that side of the ball.

Like GP said earlier, I really don't see how much more we can blitz. Ruffin has been pretty aggressive.

GP
01-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Tuberville said he plans to interview four or five people each for defensive and offensive coordinator jobs -- all of them outside the program.

He met with members of the coaching staff late Saturday but Ruffin McNeill, the lone other candidate for the job, was not among them. He will meet again with some of them at the American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla., on Monday

"I'll just have to wait and see if anybody strikes something in me that I feel, 'Hey, I think they can get this job done," Tuberville said.

Tuberville will inherit a proven spread offense two years after abandoning his attempt at implementing one midway through his final season at Auburn. In 2000, Leach brought a pass-happy offense to Texas Tech that put up gaudy numbers. All but two of his quarterbacks led the nation in passing in his 10 seasons.

Tuberville said he'll make "subtle" changes in the offense to "enhance" it. There will be more running, but the passing game will remain -- and improve.

"We're going to keep the Air Raid," he said. "I like to control the ball, and you can do that in the air as well as you can on the ground."

Tuberville said he has spoken to many of the program's recruits and none told him he'd changed his mind about coming to Texas Tech.

Link to story (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4813710)

It appears, unless I am just grossly misreading the tea leaves here, that Ruffin McNeil is not going to be the d-coord.

That's a pretty cut-and-dry quote from Tuberville.

Hey, the guy has the right initials for fans to have signs in the crowd on gameday and on ESPN's pre-game shows: Texas Tech logo and Tommy Tuberville.

Maybe that's why he got the job.

dc_txtech
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Looks like coach Tuberville is already messing with the offense. WR coach Lincoln Riley was fired this morning.

http://www.star-telegram.com/993/story/1890467.html

This really chaps my ass.

GP
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Looks like coach Tuberville is already messing with the offense. WR coach Lincoln Riley was fired this morning.

http://www.star-telegram.com/993/story/1890467.html

This really chaps my ass.

Yep, it was all just "words" I'm afraid.

That stadium is going to be a different environment because of all this.

There was no reason for the old man to do anything BUT leave everything as it is, at least for one year, to see how things work.

But he just can't help himself. He's the big boss man, and he's wielding his nightstick with no regard to what was built there.

This is not going the way it should have gone if Tech was intent on gaining a better "leader" yet allowing the other pieces to stay the same.

What a mess.

GP
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I wonder if red and black will stay as the school colors.

Note to self: Whatever Tommy Tuberville says, don't hold your breath.

dc_txtech
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Yep, it was all just "words" I'm afraid.

That stadium is going to be a different environment because of all this.

There was no reason for the old man to do anything BUT leave everything as it is, at least for one year, to see how things work.

But he just can't help himself. He's the big boss man, and he's wielding his nightstick with no regard to what was built there.

This is not going the way it should have gone if Tech was intent on gaining a better "leader" yet allowing the other pieces to stay the same.

What a mess.

Yeah, I can not believe that he did this.

For those who don't know much about Texas Tech, Riley was probably our best recruiting tool outside of Leach. When Leach was suspended Riley was named the OC for the Alamo Bowl and was much more than JUST a WR coach for our program.

Tuberville said quote "We're going to keep the Air Raid", then two days later he fires one of the guys who knows the system inside and out.

I'm still giving CoachTT the benefit of the doubt (since I have no choice) but this tells me that he is going to do things his own way. Which is fine and dandy except for the fact that we hired him partly because he said he wasn't going to mess with the offense.

This is a HUGE loss for Texas Tech and I wouldn't be surprised to see Riley running a big time program in the next 5-10 years.

bah007
01-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Texas Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and four other assistant coaches were fired Wednesday as new Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville cleared the way for his own staff.

McNeill and assistants Lincoln Riley, Clay McGuire, Brian Mitchell and Eric Russell were let go on Wednesday. A sixth assistant, Carlos Mainord, is retiring...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

As an outsider, this situation is hilarious. These clowns have now fired nearly every member of the best coaching staff they ever had.

I don't feel sorry for Tech at all. They deserve this. I do feel sorry for the players and fans though.

GP
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Looks like the linebackers coach at Alabama is the defensive coordinator at TTU now.

Interesting. I guess there might be something positive if the guy really brings the Alabama defensive style to Lubbock.

WolverineFan
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4824927

As an outsider, this situation is hilarious. These clowns have now fired nearly every member of the best coaching staff they ever had.

I don't feel sorry for Tech at all. They deserve this. I do feel sorry for the players and fans though.

Ruffy McNeill gave that school everything he had and made his stance for the HC job by winning the Alamo Bowl. Texas Tech rewards him by hiring somebody else, then allowing that new coach to fire him.

Bravo Texas Tech!

b0ng
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Ruffy McNeill gave that school everything he had and made his stance for the HC job by winning the Alamo Bowl. Texas Tech rewards him by hiring somebody else, then allowing that new coach to fire him.

Bravo Texas Tech!

To be fair, I'd take Tommy Tubberville probably 100 times out of 100 over Ruffin McNeil. The AD looks bad enough as it is, I'm sure he wanted to get a very well known hire to try and save his employment.

WolverineFan
01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
To be fair, I'd take Tommy Tubberville probably 100 times out of 100 over Ruffin McNeil. The AD looks bad enough as it is, I'm sure he wanted to get a very well known hire to try and save his employment.

Texas Tech is not Auburn. Tommy T will have a hard time succeeding there. With Mike Leach Tech was guaranteed 7-8 wins a year and a bowl game with the occasional 9-10 win season. With Tubberville they will be a perennial 7 win team.

If I were coaching at another school I would probably take Tubberville over McNeill. But with the current situation at Tech I don't see how you could not hire McNeill.

GP
01-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Texas Tech is not Auburn. Tommy T will have a hard time succeeding there. With Mike Leach Tech was guaranteed 7-8 wins a year and a bowl game with the occasional 9-10 win season. With Tubberville they will be a perennial 7 win team.

If I were coaching at another school I would probably take Tubberville over McNeill. But with the current situation at Tech I don't see how you could not hire McNeill.

They should have hired Tubby with an absoulte LOCK on any personnel changes for the first year there.

Everyone who wants to stay can stay.

Good leaders do not come in and make this amount of changes, and in THOSE positions of importance. Change for the sake of changing is almost never a good idea. As a new leader, coming into a firestorm of a situation in Lubbock, Tubby could have bought himself a LOT of emotional real estate had he just sat back an dlet his asssitants do the job they had alwasy done.

Why: Because look at the Alamo Bowl's result. Instead of turtling up and crying over Leach's firing, they went out there and won a bowl game. Everyone went about his job, doing what was expected and leading them to victory. Those people wanted to prove to everyone that THEY could do THEIR jobs and that THEY were quite capable of continuing with their jobs when the new coach came in.

Enter the new head coach, who says out of one side of his mouth that he isn't upsetting the apple cart. "People gonna' like what I do..." And then shortly thereafter he goes and fires a whole slew of very noteworthy personnel on the team.

I just would have said "Look, I'm here to head this program. Every person who wants in, can be in. If you don't think you can stay here and continue on, then you can go. In fact, we NEED people to be man enough to admit they don't 'buy into this,' and to go ahead and leave on their own. Because what was built here in Lubbock was built by more than one man. This team has achieved bowl wins almost every year. This staff gutted out a tough week and won a bowl game."

I would have used this year to evaluate the staff. To really see what I had.

Instead, he just starts lopping off people's heads left and right.

That kinda' stuff doesn't fly in West Texas. He's not doing himself any favors if he thinks he can say one thing and do another in that area of Texas.

Now, could it be that there was already some residual problems with those whom he fired? Maybe they showed they were not very on-board with Tubby, and they were trying to just do their own thing and not really support him or let him near them? Maybe.

I think a lot of wind is going to be out of the sails of that pirate ship.

GP
01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
It just has the feel of Tubby not even trying to see what's there, learn the faces and learn the ins-and-outs of the Red Raider style of offense.

Instead, it feels like he's bringing in a menagerie of people to try and bring a different flavor to the tried-and-true dish known as TTU football.

I really felt that Tubby's longevity in the game, matched with all of the personnel of the Red Raider team, could make a really good thing happen. I felt he could have come in and eventually solidifed his brand of leadership a lot more easily.

Now?

I think people are skeptical, and will be a lot less forgiving if they stumble out of the gate at the start of the season.

He could have just walked around and shook hands for a year and he would have been seen as the anti-Leach; a guy who is approachable and warm and friendly. All the while, letting the machine work quietly in the background.

What a mistake, IMHO. What a waste of a great opportunity to defuse this situation with Leach more efficiently than he has.

Goldensilence
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
It just has the feel of Tubby not even trying to see what's there, learn the faces and learn the ins-and-outs of the Red Raider style of offense.

Instead, it feels like he's bringing in a menagerie of people to try and bring a different flavor to the tried-and-true dish known as TTU football.

I really felt that Tubby's longevity in the game, matched with all of the personnel of the Red Raider team, could make a really good thing happen. I felt he could have come in and eventually solidifed his brand of leadership a lot more easily.

Now?

I think people are skeptical, and will be a lot less forgiving if they stumble out of the gate at the start of the season.

He could have just walked around and shook hands for a year and he would have been seen as the anti-Leach; a guy who is approachable and warm and friendly. All the while, letting the machine work quietly in the background.

What a mistake, IMHO. What a waste of a great opportunity to defuse this situation with Leach more efficiently than he has.

I guess my question now is do you see any requests for transfers coming?

b0ng
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM

If you're the AD and you feel your job is on the line with the next hire, that's how it happens. Right decision or wrong, the AD is probably not putting his job on the line with a guy who has

1.) never been a HC in college
2.) Was a guy promoted by the now demonized Mike Leach

GlassHalfFull
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
McNeil was the Tech Defensive Coordinator......

just sayin

dc_txtech
01-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I heard they even fired the secretary who had been there since she was a teenager, through 5 coaching staffs.:voodoo:

dc_txtech
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
McNeil was the Tech Defensive Coordinator......

just sayin

Who said he wasn't?

GlassHalfFull
01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Who said he wasn't?

trying to be clever. FAIL (me, not you)

Tech not known for great defense. He was the defensive coordinator.:slapfight:

GP
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I guess my question now is do you see any requests for transfers coming?

I think this hurts recruiting.

I think some parents could see all of this and say to their son, "Uh, son. We need to talk. I know we said Tech, but there's a lot of uncertainty. And it might even continue to become more uncertain. How about we look at some of those other schools."

And you know those other schools are going to use this against Tech.

I just see this team becoming very vanilla and much like the other spread offense teams that don't generate what Tech has produced in the Big 12. Was Tech a powerhouse in the Big 12? No, but it was competitive and it was right behind UT and OU. It was probably the 3rd best team in the Big 12 the past two years, IMO.

All those coaches at Tech would have stayed and stuck their nose to the grindstone. They had the formula mastered, in their sleep.

Maybe they've retained enough assistants to keep the fire stoked and ready for the logs they're throwing onto the fire. But it just doesn't feel like it.

I said, earlier in this thread, that it didn't matter that Leach was fired. I said that it WOULD matter who Tech got to replace him. They didn't want Ruffin as coach? Fine. That's not an issue if it comes down to it. But to can Ruffin, then Lincoln Riley, and about 5 or 6 others? Wow.

Maybe the Troy guy works out.

Maybe the Alabama guy works out.

Tech could have at least stayed stable, but now? I think they either progress or they regress. There's no maintaining what they produced the past few years. It will be up or down. Period.

And I just don't think they can bring in enough talent to do what they want to do right away. Then that impacts the NEXT year's recruits. Then you become a footnote.

dc_txtech
01-14-2010, 02:20 PM
trying to be clever. FAIL (me, not you)

Tech not known for great defense. He was the defensive coordinator.:slapfight:

OIC, Tech's defense has been much better since Ruff took over though.

bah007
01-14-2010, 03:48 PM
OIC, Tech's defense has been much better since Ruff took over though.

The difference has been insane. Their defense was a doormat for opposing offenses before he took over.

WolverineFan
01-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Apparently McNeill was fired by the university and not by Tubberville. I don't have a link, but that's what I've heard.

How does Gerald Myers still have a job??

GP
01-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Apparently McNeill was fired by the university and not by Tubberville. I don't have a link, but that's what I've heard.

How does Gerald Myers still have a job??

That would be intereting, if it can be confirmed.

Of course, the University might just be allowing Tubby to be the good cop while the Univeristy continues to be the bad cop. That's a tactic used so that the new guy doesn't look any worse than he already does.

"Oh, I didn't fire old Ruffin. I wanted to keep him. But the University felt that a new change needed to be made. I hated losing old Ruffin..."

Or, Ruffin felt he needed to leave and there was a mutual agreement to move on?

It'd be nice to know the real details. And I am sure some day we will.

Stemp
01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
More details are coming out

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, in a lawsuit filed against the school last week, alleges that wide receiver Adam James stormed out of the athletic offices yelling an expletive and slammed the outer door to the coaches' office so hard that it split and came off its hinges, causing approximately $1,100 in damage.

The alleged confrontation with the coaches took place after Leach and assistant coach Lincoln Riley had informed James that he was being demoted to third string.
Among the details alleged in the lawsuit:

• In September, Craig James called assistant coach Tommy McVay "to tell him, in effect, that you coaches are crazy and you're screwing my kid."

James
• The same day that he made the call to McVay, Craig James left a message for Riley "stating, in effect, 'You don't know what you're doing. Adam James is the best player at the wide receiver position. ... If you've got the [blank] to call me back, and I don't think you do, call me back.' "

• During practices before the Valero Alamo Bowl, Adam James "told Coach [Bennie] Wylie that Wylie didn't know what he was doing and James' effort was just fine."

• Adam James "voluntarily placed himself into the electrical closet and apparently took pictures with his phone camera."

• Texas Tech President Guy Bailey advised Leach that he thought Chancellor Kent Hance was going to try to "railroad" Leach, because of a business relationship between James and Hance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828405

Goldensilence
01-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Really it's hard to tell who did what, but as details become released it continues to not look well for Tech and the James family.

Also looks like right now they are purging Leach's staff as well. Crazy.

If I was a recruit I'd change my mind, cause it's a mess there right now.

bah007
01-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Really it's hard to tell who did what, but as details become released it continues to not look well for Tech and the James family.

Also looks like right now they are purging Leach's staff as well. Crazy.

If I was a recruit I'd change my mind, cause it's a mess there right now.

At first, it seemed to me that Leach got a raw deal. And I thought that even before he was able to get his half of the story out there. Something just seemed fishy.

Now that more info has come out, I'm beginning to believe that Leach is gonna wipe the floor with the university in court.

GP
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
So the TTU President was looking out for Leach, warning him of a possible coup attempt by the Chancellor (Kent Hance) due to possible business dealings between Hance and Craig James, father of Adam James?

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't the President be sorta' the guy who can make these types of decisions and rule on things regarding the employment of persons at TTU?

How is Kent Hance THIS big of a player at TTU? Does he have gobs of money and financially-wealthy contacts who contribute to Tech, thus making him the guy who runs things around there?

You know the octopus-face guy in Pirates of The Caribbean? LOL....

WolverineFan
01-15-2010, 11:51 AM
So the TTU President was looking out for Leach, warning him of a possible coup attempt by the Chancellor (Kent Hance) due to possible business dealings between Hance and Craig James, father of Adam James?

Call me old-fashioned, but shouldn't the President be sorta' the guy who can make these types of decisions and rule on things regarding the employment of persons at TTU?

How is Kent Hance THIS big of a player at TTU? Does he have gobs of money and financially-wealthy contacts who contribute to Tech, thus making him the guy who runs things around there?

You know the octopus-face guy in Pirates of The Caribbean? LOL....

Hance is the Chancellor and Gerald Myers is the AD. Myers works for Hance and Myers already did not get along with Leach. If Hance told him to fire Leach I'm sure he had no problem doing it.

GP
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Hance is the Chancellor and Gerald Myers is the AD. Myers works for Hance and Myers already did not get along with Leach. If Hance told him to fire Leach I'm sure he had no problem doing it.

But where does the President come into play here?

Is he only over academic affairs?

Man, this Kent Hance dude is jacked up, IMO.

Goldensilence
01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Looks like a Judge is not going to allow the suit to be put on fast forward, but it will move forward none the less. To me this looks more and more like a game of chicken as this hurtles towards a court date.

Really I can't see how either side can really benefit from details getting out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4842102

b0ng
01-21-2010, 09:49 PM
ESPN Editorial discussiong the "poor journalism" during this incident (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=ohlmeyer_don&id=4844048).

Although this really only talks about comments made during the bowl game, and not any of the ridiculousness of the entire week leading up to, but at least ESPN has one person with some integrity.