PDA

View Full Version : Schaub leads the league in passing yards

TheRealJoker
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

4,467 yards on the season. It looks like the only QB who will be playing 4 quarters like Schaub in the running is Big Ben who has 4,108 yards. Not bad for Schaub's first season to start a full 16 games.

In addition, Schaub is 3rd in the NFL in completion % (68.4), tied for 5th in tds (27), and 6th in QB rating (99.1).

I don't know what everyone else thinks but those look like franchise QB numbers to me!!! Give him a pocket to step into and a consistent running game (both would be helped by overhauling the interior OL).... Schaub can definitely play well enough for us to win any game we need :)

nero THE zero
12-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I remember before this season a lot of people swearing that Schaub wouldn't hit 4000 yards this season.

This is me laughing at them.

Thorn
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
It would appear that my knocks on Schaubbie Boy were a tad premature.

In cases like this, it's good to be wrong. :)

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Yea he sucks and he's not tough at all!

Schaub also leads the AFC in 40+ plays with 15 for the season. I love how he can get the ball down the field.

TheRealJoker
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Yea he sucks and he's not tough at all!

Schaub also leads the AFC in 40+ plays with 15 for the season. I love how he can get the ball down the field.

Not bad for a QB with no arm strength....

El Tejano
12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
These stats suck. It's the coaches fault. Fire the coach.

No More 8-8's
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM
its time to start Rex

Thorn
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
its time to start Rex

I'm thinking maybe a trade. Rexxy for Sage. LOL

Fred
12-28-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking maybe a trade. Rexxy for Sage. LOL

!!! Wow! The fact that your mind came up with that is kinda scary....

If the offense would play for the entire game instead of just one half, Schaub would be pushing 8000 yards...

Stemp
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Bah!! His numbers are inflated because we don't have a run game. Same as Peyton Manning. :polevault:

RipTraxx
12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Where are all the "GET RID OF SCHAUB" members now?

Love it.

DeMarCushPoll
12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Bah!! His numbers are inflated because we don't have a run game. Same as Peyton Manning. :polevault:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I hear that allot and just don't understand that line of thinking. The fact that we don't have a run game just makes those numbers even more impressive to me. The defense knows what's coming and still can't stop it. He's the real deal and it's time for everyone to get on the Schaub-wagon.

disaacks3
12-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I remember before this season a lot of people swearing that Schaub wouldn't hit 4000 yards this season.

Gee, this stat wouldn't have ANYthing to do with the Texans complete LACK of a running game would it? So, before you start laughing too hard - what were your predictions on the Texans ground game? :thinking:

Stemp
12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I hear that allot and just don't understand that line of thinking. The fact that we don't have a run game just makes those numbers even more impressive to me. The defense knows what's coming and still can't stop it. He's the real deal and it's time for everyone to get on the Schaub-wagon.

Yes. I was being sarcastic and mocking those actually believe that line of thinking.

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Gee, this stat wouldn't have ANYthing to do with the Texans complete LACK of a running game would it?[/U][/B] So, before you start laughing too hard - what were your predictions on the Texans ground game? :thinking:

If we only had a running game.... We'd be talking about how many W's Schaub racked up instead of yards. Win-win.

eriadoc
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
*golf clap*

The most worthless 4000 yard season ever.

To be clear, I have no problem with Schaub's play on the field. But for Manning-like numbers, they sure are worthless.

Scooter
12-28-2009, 12:55 PM
his numbers would probably IMPROVE with a run game. look at how many go-to plays have been removed because we cant run. we're a play action team without able to truely sell the play action (something schaub's arguably the best at doing), and when's the last time we saw a bootleg?

DeMarCushPoll
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I remember before the season a lot of people saying that Grossman should be the starter because he put together one decent drive and scored a TD in a preseason game.

disaacks3
12-28-2009, 01:12 PM
If we only had a running game.... We'd be talking about how many W's Schaub racked up instead of yards. Win-win. QFT! I still lay this at the door of our coaching staff. Denver managed to plug/play any number of backs into their system and made it work...we can't. We even brought in Gibbs to mastermind and we've still failed. I understand the line injuries, but our running game has really been poor all season.

Kudos to Schaub for what he's achieved no doubt, but I sure would have liked to see less overthrows in yesterday's game in the 2nd half. Stats are great, but if they don't equal W's, what's the point?

infantrycak
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Stats are great, but if they don't equal W's, what's the point?

They're a sign of where the team can go if it fixes its other problems. Add a running game and this team could dominate.

nero THE zero
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Gee, this stat wouldn't have ANYthing to do with the Texans complete LACK of a running game would it?[/U][/B] So, before you start laughing too hard - what were your predictions on the Texans ground game? :thinking:

I don't understand what this has to do with the price of tea in China?

The thread was an O/U thread. I took Schaub over 4000 yards, and specifically cited a likely letdown season for Slaton, if it really matters though.

nero THE zero
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
*golf clap*

To be clear, I have no problem with Schaub's play on the field. But for Manning-like numbers, they sure are worthless.

I'd say the numbers' worth lies in the number of wins we have. If Schaub hadn't thrown for 4000 yards, 8 (or 9) wins would be a pipe dream.

Double Barrel
12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
How many 4400+ yard QBs don't make the playoffs? :um:

Warren Moon used to put up some gaudy numbers, and...uhhh....yeah.

I was never down on Schaub, though. I'm just glad he's shown himself to be a good QB because 1) he's our QB, and 2) what we gave up for him.

brakos82
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Breesus put up 5000 yards last year and went 8-8.... now look where they are.

infantrycak
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
You don't get to be #1 passer in the league off being a backup or luck especially in a year Peyton is in the league and without a running game. Schaub has proven himself which does not mean he is without fault but he can get us to the show. 75 plays over 20 yards - incredible.

ObsiWan
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
These stats suck. It's the coaches fault. Fire the coach.

:lolrskates:

dtran04
12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Andre Johnson must suck too. Only reason he has so many yards is because the Texans have no running game. He obviously doesn't help the team win either. :)

Oh and Cushing sucks too. If the Texans had a run game, the defense wouldn't be on the field as long and he wouldn't rack up the stats. :)

Maddict5
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
lol who deleted my post & why?

brakos82
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM

They wanted to keep you at 4,000. :user:

infantrycak
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM

I don't see any posts that have been deleted in this thread.

Maddict5
12-28-2009, 02:53 PM
They wanted to keep you at 4,000. :user:

lol didnt notice that. well now im over 4000 too! cant stop me!!

ObsiWan
12-28-2009, 02:53 PM
never mind.

brakos82
12-28-2009, 02:54 PM
lol didnt notice that. well now im over 4000 too! cant stop me!!

We'll see about that.... :kitten:

Maddict5
12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't see any posts that have been deleted in this thread.

maybe i screwed up so when i was posting. doesnt matter- it was just a link to TC's thread at the start of the season about this & me patting myself on the back for saying he'd cruise over 4000 if he stayed healthy

Marcus
12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
The 4000 yards doesn't impress me as much as the fact he's played in every game so far, despite the fact that there was no running game, which made him that much more of a target. He's now a durable QB, that can play even though he's dinged up. That's light-years away from the label that was put on him at the beginning of the season.

But one dimensional offenses don't equal wins, unless you're Peyton Manning.

Goldensilence
12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. The stats are nice and it's good to finally have something to hang your hat on as a team. A good passing attack.

I don't know neccessarily at the begining of the year people were down on Matt. I know for sure there were big questions about his durability and looks like he has answered them thankfully. I can't help but wonder how big a different knowing unquestionably that he is the team's QB helped this year.

His numbers could be even better if the HC had just figured out much earlier in the season when his running game once again sputtered to jus get the damn ball to AJ and hadn't been so in love with Chris Brown as his guy.

To be honest this team is like a girl in HS. Getting such mixed signals that I don't know whether to ask her out or run far away as possible because it's so schizo.

disaacks3
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Andre Johnson must suck too. Only reason he has so many yards is because the Texans have no running game. He obviously doesn't help the team win either. :)

Oh and Cushing sucks too. If the Texans had a run game, the defense wouldn't be on the field as long and he wouldn't rack up the stats. :)
Nobody said that these aren't good things (in & of themselves), but if they don't equate to wins, who the h*** cares?

Better yet, ask Andre & Matt if they'd rather be bottom 10 in stats and win the superbowl, or where they are now.

disaacks3
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't understand what this has to do with the price of tea in China?

The thread was an O/U thread. I took Schaub over 4000 yards, and specifically cited a likely letdown season for Slaton, if it really matters though.
Uhmm...no. THIS thread is titled "Schaub leads the league in passing yards". I was offering an explanation as to why. Don't hurt your hand too badly for patting yourself on the back.

noxiousdog
12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Nobody said that these aren't good things (in & of themselves), but if they don't equate to wins, who the h*** cares?

I care because wins aren't magic. There's a lot of teams who they have no idea if their quarterback is capable of such a feat and will spend a lot of resources on both evaluating their current QB and/or investing in a new one.

It's really nice to know we have a QB that can play at a level matched only by a handful of others currently playing.

nero THE zero
12-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Uhmm...no. THIS thread is titled "Schaub leads the league in passing yards". I was offering an explanation as to why. Don't hurt your hand too badly for patting yourself on the back.

Which is why you specifically quoted my post about that particular thread and asked what my prediction was on the running game? You might want to stop trying to get so cutesy with the presentation of your message and work on its reasoning.

Ole Miss Texan
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Better yet, ask Andre & Matt if they'd rather be bottom 10 in stats and win the superbowl, or where they are now.

I think there would be 32 teams that would gladly take last place in any and all statistal column if it meant they would win the Superbowl.

Problem is, it's highly unlikely to be in the bottom 10 in stats and be able to win the superbowl. The Steelers last year didn't exactly light up the offensive stats sheet but were able to win by controlling the clock (#6) and by having a +4 turnover ratio (#11)... and not to mention they had the #1 ranked Defense in the league in both yards and pts allowed.

Texans don't have that Defense (yet). If your D is giving up points and yards... your offense has to do THAT much more just to try and win.

disaacks3
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Which is why you specifically quoted my post about that particular thread and asked what my prediction was on the running game? You might want to stop trying to get so cutesy with the presentation of your message and work on its reasoning. I'm sorry that YOU used the quote in THIS thread and expected no responses to your blatant attempt at self-congratulatory folly.

Carry on. :kitten:

MEGA SWATT
12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Keep MS healthy and he can do GREAT things!!!!!!!!!!!!:kingkong:

worldlyman
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
How many 4400+ yard QBs don't make the playoffs? :um:

Warren Moon used to put up some gaudy numbers, and...uhhh....yeah.

I was never down on Schaub, though. I'm just glad he's shown himself to be a good QB because 1) he's our QB, and 2) what we gave up for him.

Moon put up some great playoff numbers, put his team in a position to win, especially in hostile and difficult stadiums. It's not his fault that Oilers defenses collapsed.

brakos82
12-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Moon put up some great playoff numbers, put his team in a position to win, especially in hostile and difficult stadiums. It's not his fault that his defenses collapsed.

Sounds like us the last 2 years... except for the playoff thing. :choke:

Double Barrel
12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Moon put up some great playoff numbers, put his team in a position to win, especially in hostile and difficult stadiums. It's not his fault that Oilers defenses collapsed.

I think the defenses got worn out because the run and shoot could not play ball control offense to protect leads. That's what happens with a one-dimensional offense. They did not have TE or FB positions to establish a run-first mentality.

As far as putting them in position to win - yes and no. I remember a brilliant first half of a playoff game, but then throwing a couple of picks in the second to lose the game that we do not mention around these parts.

p.s. I'm not down on Moon, but stats are not the be all/end all of success. That is the sole domain of wins and losses.

worldlyman
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the defenses got worn out because the run and shoot could not play ball control offense to protect leads. That's what happens with a one-dimensional offense. They did not have TE or FB positions to establish a run-first mentality.

As far as putting them in position to win - yes and no. I remember a brilliant first half of a playoff game, but then throwing a couple of picks in the second to lose the game that we do not mention around these parts.

p.s. I'm not down on Moon, but stats are not the be all/end all of success. That is the sole domain of wins and losses.

Yes, but that unmentionable game, he already had them up 28-3 at the half. If the defense held on, and special teams recovers one onside...then Moon wouldn't have been under pressure to throw that OT pick where Nate Odoms leveled Ernest Givens before he had a chance at the ball anyway.

Still, Moon did have back to back 4,000 yard seasons for Minny as well, breaking Fran Tarkenton's numbers in one season...and it was still all for naught.

Double Barrel
12-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Still, Moon did have back to back 4,000 yard seasons for Minny as well, breaking Fran Tarkenton's numbers in one season...and it was still all for naught.

Hence, my statement: Warren Moon used to put up some gaudy numbers, and...uhhh....yeah.

:shades:

p.s. I'm a Moon fan, so I'm not knocking him with my statement. Stats tend to be reflective of individuals, but teams win games, and unfortunately for Moon, he was never on 'clutch teams' during his NFL career. Sort of like Dan Marino in that regard, some of the greatest QBs never to get the ring.

hookinreds
12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
maybe i screwed up so when i was posting. doesnt matter- it was just a link to TC's thread at the start of the season about this & me patting myself on the back for saying he'd cruise over 4000 if he stayed healthy

Sounds like someone thinks our QB is "injury prone". :hides:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Isn't it good to see Schaub is playing all 16 games and showed us what he can do for us when he is healthy! Some fans from Atlanta and even our own fans questioning if Schaub worth two 2nd rd picks. We now have an answer for that.

Go Schaub!!!
Go Texans!!!(I mean, really gooooo Texans and beat NE)

jppaul
12-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Should end with about 4800 yards. Now if we only had a kicker that could split the uprights maybe we would be 11-5 right now, or a RB who didn't fumble, we could be at 10-6.

Goldensilence
12-29-2009, 01:23 AM
*golf clap*

I dunno about that. What about me passing for over 4,000 yards in back to back seasons in Detroit?

Signed,
Jon Kitna

Texanmike02
12-29-2009, 05:27 AM
*golf clap*

Look, we're always talking about w/l's... And I get it, that's what it comes down to. But in FOUR of our L's, he has put the team in a position to either tie or win the game with less than 30 seconds on the clock. I would argue that Chris Brown is responsible for the most worthless 1.98 yards (and then fumble) ever and Kris Brown is responsible for the most useless 49 yard kick ever. (Twice). Lets not forget our greatest HB pass call ever. Hell lets not forget, he got us the TD (minus a bogus offensive PI call). If the guys around him make plays and get us into OT, if we go just .500, we're a 10-5 team right now and you're singing a different worthless.

I think Schaub has done his part. Hell if you start with 1:30 left at your 20 and you're down by 3... you get to within 48, AND center the kick... what else do you ask the QB to do?

Mike

disaacks3
12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Look, we're always talking about w/l's... And I get it, that's what it comes down to. But in FOUR of our L's, he has put the team in a position to either tie or win the game with less than 30 seconds on the clock. I would argue that Chris Brown is responsible for the most worthless 1.98 yards (and then fumble) ever and Kris Brown is responsible for the most useless 49 yard kick ever. (Twice). Lets not forget our greatest HB pass call ever. Hell lets not forget, he got us the TD (minus a bogus offensive PI call). If the guys around him make plays and get us into OT, if we go just .500, we're a 10-5 team right now and you're singing a different worthless.

I think Schaub has done his part. Hell if you start with 1:30 left at your 20 and you're down by 3... you get to within 48, AND center the kick... what else do you ask the QB to do?

Mike See, this I can buy into. Schaub has definitely done "his part" this year. No doubt and no argument. I just don't buy into the whole magical 4000 yd thing.

With a healthy OD, AND with a running game, we'd scare the beejezus out of every Defensive coordinator in the league. The problem with the Texans is that they do everything in halves.

TigerWoods..Not
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Schaub is having an underrated season because everyone's been talking about Manning, Brees and Favre

TheCD
12-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Mike

You're right here, and it helps to skew my opinion a little bit. I always have faith Matt can lead a game winning drive, but have never expected it. And while he does have some of his wtf moments during these occasions, he does move the ball fairly well.

The problem is the offense as a whole has no sense of urgency come crunch time. You can feel the seconds melting away as they move the ball and casually go about their business. That is coaching, but at some point you have to put that on him for not just taking the game on his shoulders and calling what he's feeling will work with his receivers and the defense.

Sure, sometimes the other guys don't get the job done, but I hate being able to stare at the game clock winding down while our guys are trying to dial up the "perfect play". It's disheartening and something that needs to be worked on.

eriadoc
12-30-2009, 12:10 PM

Mike

I don't really disagree too much with this, but if you're going to start nitpicking individual losses and trying to pin them on folks, let's also remember that Schaub threw two game winning TDs this season to guys in opposite jerseys. Successful QBs are often measured by how and when they do things, as opposed to what they do.

All I'm saying is this: When your QB throws for 4800(?) yards and all you can manage is 8-9 wins and no playoff trip, you've done some things wrong and the 4000 yards was pretty worthless. I didn't say Schaub was worthless, or even that the reason those yards were worthless was his fault. I like Schaub; I'm a fan. I'm glad he got the numbers, and I hope it's a sign of years to come. I just can't get excited about this season's numbers is all.