PDA

View Full Version : State of the Franchise

euro-Texan
12-27-2009, 12:37 AM
As many of the threads are leaning this way I wanted to start a poll to see the overall view of the Texans stock.

How do you feel about the Texans as the season comes to an end?

Lucky
12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Where's the poll?

brakos82
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
I voted disappointed, but leaned towards satisfied..... I guess I'm kinda meh.

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2009, 12:51 AM
The should be a meh category as the 3rd option. Texans should have a better bottom line, but maybe not a division winner. While not what I really want there is some sort of justification for keeping Kubiak for his 5th year even though those reasons sound more like excuses than real reasons.

D-Frank
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
im satisfid with the direction we are in. we are real close, I thought this would be the year but we fugged up, but i still got the Texans back.

euro-Texan
12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
The should be a meh category as the 3rd option. Texans should have a better bottom line, but maybe not a division winner. While not what I really want there is some sort of justification for keeping Kubiak for his 5th year even though those reasons sound more like excuses than real reasons.

Sorry I thought disappointed and meh were the same. In the big picture it is at least. We happen to be in a division where being a division champ means being real good, that's not the case in every division.

theanswer000
12-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I am dissapointed with the team this year. We had high expectation for this season, but the Texans yet again failed to win the clutch games that mattered. We were in the running for a for sure playoff spot but the Texans blew it. Next year should be a lot better. Kubey will know that it is do or die, not playoffs or bust. He knows damn well better get us in the playoffs and we have to do well in there. We will cover our needs this off-season. We will of course sign guys that we need it probably will not be the guys we want but atleast it is progress. The draft should be easy. What do we need right now more than anything??? A RUNNING BACK.

C.J. Spiller should be our main focus.

J_R
12-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Disappointed. We should be better than 8-8 but maybe not division title winners just quite yet.

As for our record, it should be better.

Realistcially imo: 6-10 to 8-8 to 9-7 or 10-6 to 9-7 or 10-6 again.

Instead it has been: 6-10 to 8-8 to 8-8 to ???(another 8-8 or 7-9 imo)

At 9-7 or 10-6, you are usually competing for a playoff spot year in year out and in some divisions(not ours) a division championship.

What is it going to take? We keep saying we are a few players away and some like to throw out the word close but each offseason, we pick up some pieces through FA and the draft(with a mid-round pick) and we still dont seem to improve W-L wise.

That tells me either/or:

1. We suck at evaluating talent and sign/draft the wrong guys

and/or

2. Our coaches cant coach these guys up to help them with reach their potential

So um really, what is it going to take to get over the hump? Well, its no longer really a hump - you can get over humps. Maybe more like a mountain?

Goatcheese
12-27-2009, 01:51 AM
They're better than I thought they would be. I didn't think they would be in the playoff hunt with Slaton out for a big chunk of the season.

I no longer come to the boards thinking "If they just didn't suck they could have won that game!" Now it's more "If one or two jackholes didn't screw it up they would have won that game!"

They're still a few years away from being an elite team, but one good offseason could make them competitors who just need to catch some breaks to go the distance. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of Smithiak's ability to have a 2006 type offseason.

Hervoyel
12-27-2009, 01:56 AM
I voted "disappointed" but I merely believed we should have "challenged" for the division title. I didn't think we would win it necessarily and not having won it wasn't the real reason for my disappointment.

Had the Texans not handed Jacksonville a win at Reliant and not fumbled (and bumbled) away the game against the Cardinals we would have gone to play an 8-0 Indianapolis team with our own record being 7-1. That would have been where I wanted to see us regardless of the outcome there. I hoped we'd split with the Colts this year and sweep the Jaguars and Titans. All three were within reach but the Texans fell short.

Thorn
12-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Shoulda Woulda Coulda......Mark me down as "Disappointed"

ArlingtonTexan
12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Sorry I thought disappointed and meh were the same. In the big picture it is at least. We happen to be in a division where being a division champ means being real good, that's not the case in every division.

There are no weak division leaders at the moment. Probably each one will have at least 10 wins and are solid football teams.

Anyway Meh for me is not really disappointed nor satisfied, more acceptance of the state the Texans are at than anything.

Corrosion
12-27-2009, 09:56 AM
I'll take the option between satisfied and disappointed

rollinstone18
12-27-2009, 09:58 AM
disappointed but still optimistic.

infantrycak
12-27-2009, 10:18 AM
I am disappointed although I did not expect division title. This team so easily with just a little coaching/performance on a few plays/kicks could be 1-4 games better on record and in the cat bird seat for a wild card spot.

False Start
12-27-2009, 10:23 AM
I voted disappointed. I wasn't expecting them to overtake the Colts for the division, but I was expecting them to be in a better position to make the playoffs than they are now.

DeMarCushPoll
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I am dissapointed with the team this year. We had high expectation for this season, but the Texans yet again failed to win the clutch games that mattered. We were in the running for a for sure playoff spot but the Texans blew it. Next year should be a lot better. Kubey will know that it is do or die, not playoffs or bust. He knows damn well better get us in the playoffs and we have to do well in there. We will cover our needs this off-season. We will of course sign guys that we need it probably will not be the guys we want but atleast it is progress. The draft should be easy. What do we need right now more than anything??? A RUNNING BACK.

C.J. Spiller should be our main focus.

What is your definition of "high expectations"? They have a chance to go 9-7 and are still in the mix for a playoff spot. I read allot of these comments and wonder what did people expect from this team going in to the season. I expected 9-7 or 10-6 at best. Anything beyond that was just unrealistic, I don't care how favorable the schedule was. They play in and will continue to play in one of the toughest devisions in all of football. This team is still being built and that takes time. Yes they have some super stars in the making at several starting positions but as this season has proven they lack real deapth at some key positions. With an improved running game going in to next year, I think they will make a big impact and this is the first time I have ever said that.

Ranger Tom
12-27-2009, 10:53 AM
I like the direction in which we're moving, but we really ought to have at least nine wins on the season by now and Chris Brown should have been benched permanently several weeks ago. I'm satisfied in some things and disappointed in others; probably like most people around here.

maddogmrb
12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Disappointed. IMO, a vote for Satisfied is a vote for eternal mediocrity.

Ryan
12-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I pick dissapointed...I think we have good things coming to this franchise in the next decade but we should have reached it this year. 9-7 could stop the bleeding for an entire offseason though.

euro-Texan
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Beating Miami in Miami with everything that is on the line makes this win another step forward.

HJam72
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, things are going well now, but we still lost 4 divisional games in a row. 4 DIVISIONAL LOSSES IN A ROW!!! Ask me when the season is over, because 8-8 and 1-5 in our division with a team that can't close out games and finish opponents off isn't going to cut it. In his 4th year, the only way I'll be happy with Kubiak is if we make the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would not exactly keep my "Soap" avatar in place.

euro-Texan
12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, things are going well now, but we still lost 4 divisional games in a row. 4 DIVISIONAL LOSSES IN A ROW!!! Ask me when the season is over, because 8-8 and 1-5 in our division with a team that can't close out games and finish opponents off isn't going to cut it. In his 4th year, the only way I'll be happy with Kubiak is if we make the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would not exactly keep my "Soap" avatar in place.

All for nothing. Indy is pulling their players

euro-Texan
12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
looks like the fanbase is split down the middle

devo-x
12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Somewhere between disappointed and satisfied

vtech9
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm disappointed. Not with the players, but with the coaching. Not necessarily with Kubiak, but with the coordinators. I think the Texans have put together a great team, and when given the chance have shown that they can beat anyone. When the Texans get a lead, they just don't seem to have the killer instinct to finish off games. I think that is coaching. Once the Texans get a lead, they start playing not to lose instead of playing to win. IMHO, that is the wrong attitude to have.