PDA

View Full Version : What if Kubiak re-signs

DiehardChris
12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
What if Bob doesn't want his coach to be coaching with uncertainty in 2010, and extends him beyond his current deal? Most of the time if owners want to keep their current coach on board, they won't let them go into the final year of their deal without an extension.

(I made that last sentence up, but it's true at least some of the time... but probably not with a coach in Kubiak's situation.)

powerfuldragon
12-22-2009, 01:11 AM
funny what a difference a hyphen made.

brakos82
12-22-2009, 01:13 AM
funny what a difference a hyphen made.

Yeah, I see what you did there... :bravo:

Thorn
12-22-2009, 07:13 AM
I think Kubiak will be a very good head coach someday. It might not be with the Texans, but I do believe he will as soon as he shows signs of being able to learn from his mistakes.

houstonspartan
12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I think Kubiak will be a very good head coach someday. It might not be with the Texans, but I do believe he will as soon as he shows signs of being able to learn from his mistakes.

Exactly. I was just thinking that this morning. He's a smart guy, but he comes off as one of those people who just doesn't "get it."

Blake
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey I have no doubt that Kubiak can get into the playoffs. With enough tries...

Vinny
12-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Hey I have no doubt that Kubiak can get into the playoffs. With enough tries...hell, only like 4 teams are officially out of it in the AFC, so if you hang in there long enough your bound to get in eventually.

GP
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
hell, only like 4 teams are officially out of it in the AFC, so if you hang in there long enough your bound to get in eventually.

I wonder if Kubiak is even able to look at the standings; is he capable of glancing at all the scenarios it takes for us to make the playoffs?

I imagine that he probably begins to look at it, but can't find the inner resolve to look at it. Cringes. Turns away and grinds his teeth, wiping a hand over his eyes.

Such is the life for the Cowardly Lion. :lion:

(and "Yes" I know that I am bitter right now. Probably going to last until 2011)

GP
12-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey, it just dawned on me.

This team DOES have a killer instinct.

It kills our expectations every damn season.

Vinny
12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I wonder if Kubiak is even able to look at the standings; is he capable of glancing at all the scenarios it takes for us to make the playoffs?

I imagine that he probably begins to look at it, but can't find the inner resolve to look at it. Cringes. Turns away and grinds his teeth, wiping a hand over his eyes.

Such is the life for the Cowardly Lion. :lion:

(and "Yes" I know that I am bitter right now. Probably going to last until 2011)I'm sure he glances away when he sees the standings like he won't watch important plays or kicks of any consequence.

buddyboy
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm sure he glances away when he sees the standings like he won't watch important plays or kicks of any consequence.

I know that all of you guys's little shots at Kubiak's knowledge of the team are mostly in fun, but we should keep in mind that Kubiak probably knows more than any of us where the team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. Which is a miracle.

Ryan
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
edit: nvm

Hervoyel
12-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I know that all of you guys's little shots at Kubiak's knowledge of the team are mostly in fun, but we should keep in mind that Kubiak probably knows more than any of us where the team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. Which is a miracle.

I hear what you're saying but keep something in mind. Most teams in the NFL have been to the playoffs over the last decade. I mean, even the one and done teams have coaching staffs populated by men who know more than any of us about where their team is at and what it takes to get to the playoffs. This isn't the lost formula for greek fire or a map to El Dorado we're talking about. It's a well documented process that a large number of head coaches, assistant head coaches, coordinators, and position coaches have been a part of at one stop or another along the way.

"Knowing" is only part of the equation. The ability to apply that knowledge in a practical manner is at least as important. Gary could watch Mike Shanahan win a dozen Super Bowls and it wouldn't do him a bit of good if he wasn't able to apply what he had hopefully learned to his own team and their circumstances/situation.

That's what Gary Kubiak has failed to demonstrate to anyone up to this point.

Vinny
12-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Dom Capers could say the same thing about his team, so what does that matter?

GP
12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm sure he glances away when he sees the standings like he won't watch important plays or kicks of any consequence.

Bingo.

TD
12-22-2009, 02:11 PM

I used to say the same thing about Jerry Glanville. :(

Silver Oak
12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
one thing has becoming crystal clear the last few weeks...

the "keep Kubiak at least one more season" crowd will be accepting of when and if the Texans do fire him at seasons end, than the "fire Kubiak" crowd will be if he is kept.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/shakes_no.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4335)

Runner
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM

the "keep Kubiak at least one more season" crowd will be accepting of when and if the Texans do fire him at seasons end, than the "fire Kubiak" crowd will be if he is kept.

Of course some of them will be more accepting. As soon as a new coach puts on a Texans jacket he'll get the benefit of the doubt in all discussions. In turn, Kubiak will be spoken about with the disdain all ex-Texans (except Charles Spencer) receive.

For many, it seems it's more about the logo than performance.

Runner
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Of course some of them will be more accepting. As soon as a new coach puts on a Texans jacket he'll get the benefit of the doubt in all discussions. In turn, Kubuak will be spoken about with the disdain all ex-Texans (except Charles Spencer) receive.

Oh - and he'll most likely be a better coach too. I'm optimistic the Texans can find a better than average coach and be better than average.

Silver Oak
12-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh - and he'll most likely be a better coach too. I'm optimistic the Texans can find a better than average coach and be better than average.

19 teams currently have .500 or below records this season. Where do you believe the Texans should begin this search for this "better than average coach"? consider other teams will be searching for coaches at the seasons end as well.

Mr. White
12-22-2009, 03:52 PM

The biggest mistake of Dunta's career was crossing the "logo," now he may as well have a goat on his helmet.

Double Barrel
12-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Dick 'Freakin' Jauron.

He knows more than all of us, too. He was hired by the Bills the same year that Kubiak was hired as HC, and their overall records are about the same. He's even led a team to the playoffs in his head coaching career (13-3 record with the 2001 Bears).

But I don't see any Bills fans wishing he were still employed with them, and I don't see anyone rushing to bring him here.

There is something about the job of HC that requires more than just knowledge of the game of football. :thinking:

Hervoyel
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
The biggest mistake of Dunta's career was crossing the "logo," now he may as well have a goat on his helmet.

Well, that and sucking all year after doing so. The combination of the two does not endear him to the Texans Nation.

Goldensilence
12-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Dick 'Freakin' Jauron.

He knows more than all of us, too. He was hired by the Bills the same year that Kubiak was hired as HC, and their overall records are about the same. He's even led a team to the playoffs in his head coaching career (13-3 record with the 2001 Bears).

But I don't see any Bills fans wishing he were still employed with them, and I don't see anyone rushing to bring him here.

There is something about the job of HC that requires more than just knowledge of the game of football. :thinking:

You forgot to mention how improved the team was after each 7-9 season going into the next....

Double Barrel
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
You forgot to mention how improved the team was after each 7-9 season going into the next....

They were some of the greatest 7-9 teams in NFL history!

Thorn
12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
19 teams currently have .500 or below records this season. Where do you believe the Texans should begin this search for this "better than average coach"? consider other teams will be searching for coaches at the seasons end as well.

You see, Silver Oak's post here illistrates my points as well. While I am not sastified right now, I am certainly MORE worried about changing to another coach and not doing as well. Sure, there are examples of coaches who have shown quick improvement, there are many MORE examples where coaches haven't done that.

I'd rather see Kubiak come back next year rather than jumping off the cliff just cause the rest of the lemmings are jumping. Miami suddenly improved, now look at them. Atlanta suddenly improved, now look at them as well. A one year improvement doesn't mean a damn thing.

Runner
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM

You see, Silver Oak's post here illistrates my points as well. While I am not sastified right now, I am certainly MORE worried about changing to another coach and not doing as well. Sure, there are examples of coaches who have shown quick improvement, there are many MORE examples where coaches haven't done that.

I'd rather see Kubiak come back next year rather than jumping off the cliff just cause the rest of the lemmings are jumping. Miami suddenly improved, now look at them. Atlanta suddenly improved, now look at them as well. A one year improvement doesn't mean a damn thing.

I don't buy into this point of view; I find it defeatist. I think the Texans can get better. I think good coaches are available, and the Texans organization can attract them.

Following your logic, if Kubiak goes 8-8 and remains average next year we may as well keep him and keep waiting for the magic to strike because it is so hard to find an above average coach. The simple fact that "the next coach might not be better" could keep Kubiak here forever. I'm just not that pessimistic about the Texans.

============

As far as a one season improvement not meaning a damn thing, no improvement means less.

Double Barrel
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM

ummm, Thorn, mass Lemming suicide is an urban legend perpetuated by a Walt Disney documentary.

snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp)

However, there is clear evidence that herd animals can starve themselves if they don't find new pastures to graze.

Thorn
12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
My stance has always been if they can get themselves a proven winner, like the Chin or someone, I say they go for it as soon as possible even if they have to fire Kubiak as I type this.

However, just hiring any new coach to get a new coach because Kubiak isn't doing the job can do just as much harm, if not more, than letting him run out his contract. I want a new coach, but I want that new coach to be a proven winner. I'm not in the mood to give another newbie a shot at this.

Double Barrel
12-22-2009, 05:41 PM
My stance has always been if they can get themselves a proven winner, like the Chin or someone, I say they go for it as soon as possible even if they have to fire Kubiak as I type this.

However, just hiring any new coach to get a new coach because Kubiak isn't doing the job can do just as much harm, if not more, than letting him run out his contract. I want a new coach, but I want that new coach to be a proven winner. I'm not in the mood to give another newbie a shot at this.

It is an interesting paradox. We need a new head coach who has proven himself to be a winner, or, we keep the head coach that has been unable to prove that he is a winner.

:spin:

I respect your position, but I just feel that Kubiak has proven himself to be what we know: good offensive coordinator, but an inconsistent and mediocre head coach.

There was something posted in one of the other Kubiak threads that really made me think about treading water...

I was reading the comments to John McClain's article this morning and I came across this gem from Breaze. Check it out.

If we get knocked out of the playoffs next week the Pat's are toast. That's when Kubes gets serious...history approved. Start slow, finish strong... consistently inconsistent; Jekyll & Hyde. If Kubes gets his way and stays, we could be staring at Groundhog's Day. Yes this is hating as some of you labeling types like to point out, but its hating to lose...hating to underachieve, hating more of the same while talent rots on the vine. Kind of true fan'ish don't you think? Why get so wrapped up in labels? Its ok for a true fan to demand more given the talent. Maybe we should add new label to the so called true fan..."settlers". The passive types that enjoy getting lunch money taken from them every year, living in the land of what if's, are incapable of seeing what's in front of them, and who can't accept things for what they are... bottom line, we are all fans so we are all..."gulp", the same. Now flip this season and hire some "proven" winners McNair...no more experiments, no more excuses, its time to take the big leap before its too late...

Gotta love it. Settlers.:lol:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6781952.html

"hating more of the same while talent rots on the vine" really pinpoints where I am at. I have no animosity toward Gary Kubiak, either as an individual or as our head coach. My gut feeling is that standing still in the league is not defining success and, if anything, is scarier than the prospect of a head coaching change. The thought that #80 has to endure yet another season of mediocre football, while his potential HoF career continues to move forward, and we run the risk of losing the good talent we have to stagnation if we do not implement change geared toward success.

p.s. I agree that the next HC, this year or whenever, needs to have a proven track record of success. No more noobs, please, Mr. McNair.

buddyboy
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Dick 'Freakin' Jauron.

I never said that I thought that we should re-sign Kubiak. I simply said that when posters exaggerate and say stuff like "Kubiak doesn't even know xxxxxx".

Sure, I don't want Casserly back, but I would never say something like "Casserly obviously doesn't know what offensive scheme we run" just because he failed to successfully draft an OLineman, because he obviously does. It's obvious hyperbole.

Goldensilence
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah I saw Miami last week lost in OT to someone else fighting for a playoff spot. Looking deeper they have the same record we do and have a second year QB who is looks like he has a bright future and lost their team MVP in Brown. Don't see them using the same excuses I've seen here in missing OD. Could be argued Brown played an even bigger focal point in their offense. By the way this will be the second year a row Sparano goes 4-2 in his division. At this point I'm thinking it's not just a one year wonder in Miami, Sparano is building a pretty good team out there.

Atlanta is 7-7 as well and just got a big win over a team that mud stomped us on opening day. They've played parts of this year without starting QB and last year's ROY Matt Ryan and without Mike Turner. Big win against the Jets and if you watched them play the then undefeated Saints the week before short handed you would've seen a coach who had his team play tough, scraping football. I think as well they're looking like more then one year wonders.

There's talent on this team no doubt, but I don't buy that Gary Kubiak is the only one who can win with this squad.

thunderkyss
12-22-2009, 05:51 PM

If we finish 9-7 can we stop using this argument?

Goldensilence
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
If we finish 9-7 can we stop using this argument?

Sure. IF we do finish 9-7. As of right now we got a big hill to climb with both the Dolphins and the Pats with a lot to play with.

On the other hand...how do you feel if we finish 7-9?

thunderkyss
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't buy into this point of view; I find it defeatist. I think the Texans can get better. I think good coaches are available, and the Texans organization can attract them.

Following your logic, if Kubiak goes 8-8 and remains average next year we may as well keep him and keep waiting for the magic to strike because it is so hard to find an above average coach. The simple fact that "the next coach might not be better" could keep Kubiak here forever. I'm just not that pessimistic about the Texans.

============

As far as a one season improvement not meaning a damn thing, no improvement means less.

If you don't see any improvement in this team, even from last year, then I can totally understand your position. But I see a lot of improvement, so your argument is just going right over my head.

7-9, 8-8, 9-7 there really isn't any difference as far as I'm concerned, and a number of "reasons/excuses" that could justify one result over another. Difficult schedule, injuries, hurricanes, Death-in-family, whatever.

But I'd rather be a good 7-9 team, than a bad 10-6 team. I know that will most likely be a play-off team. I understand that one-&-done is more appealing than never-been.

I believe if some of these other teams had stuck it out past the "standard" 4 years with a particular coaching regime (Bill Parcells in Dallas comes to mind) they would have multiple play-off wins over the last decade, with many more to come.

That's what I see with Kubiak. We've come a long way, & though we aren't there yet, I don't think we're very far. We're a couple of fumbles here & there away. A poorly thrown ball every now & then. A slip of mental focus, for just a fraction of a second away.

I think we're drafting well, grooming our coaches well, coaching our players well, & playing well, & I think it all starts with Kubiak. He is so much more than just a head coach around here, & I don't think this organization is ready to replace him yet.

I've got no doubt in my mind that we will be very successful next year, regardless who coaches the Houston Texans next year. It's the years after that, that I think Gary gives us the best chance for longterm success.

thunderkyss
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Looking deeper they have the same record we do...At this point I'm thinking it's not just a one year wonder in Miami, Sparano is building a pretty good team out there.

Atlanta is 7-7 as well.... I think as well they're looking like more then one year wonders.

There's talent on this team no doubt, but I don't buy that Gary Kubiak is the only one who can win with this squad.

Two franchises with storied histories are 7-7 with bright futures ahead of them? We've been perennial losers for 6 years of our 8 year history, & we're headed for disaster.

Miami is 7-7 & fighting for a play-off spot, but we're drowning in mediocrity.

I just don't get it.

Vinny
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Two franchises with storied histories are 7-7 with bright futures ahead of them? We've been perennial losers for 6 years of our 8 year history, & we're headed for disaster.

I just don't get it.
both those teams were in the playoffs last year right? At least they get in the tournament occasionally. In case you haven't noticed, the frustration lies on never getting there...like ever.

Second Honeymoon
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
both those teams were in the playoffs last year right? At least they get in the tournament occasionally. In case you haven't noticed, the frustration lies on never getting there...like ever.

at some point during this past offseason, tkyss seemed like someone else was posting on his account. it was around the time that he said that Chris Myers was our most effective lineman and that he was a good Center. upon hearing those words, I felt we had a doppleganger in our midst. occassionally you get a nugget of wisdom but lately its been getting pretty deep around here.

its funny, i went to 610 and listened to a little sports radio on Monday, and listening to Rich Lord you would have thought we won the freaking Super Bowl by beating the Rams. Just embarassing journalism and integrity.

Vinny
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
at some point during this past offseason, tkyss seemed like someone else was posting on his account. it was around the time that he said that Chris Myers was our most effective lineman and that he was a good Center. upon hearing those words, I felt we had a doppleganger in our midst. occassionally you get a nugget of wisdom but lately its been getting pretty deep around here.

its funny, i went to 610 and listened to a little sports radio on Monday, and listening to Rich Lord you would have thought we won the freaking Super Bowl by beating the Rams. Just embarassing journalism and integrity.
I think you hit the nail on the head. TK is Rich Lord.

thunderkyss
12-22-2009, 07:12 PM

Great, now I've got to come up with a new username.

how 'bout, ManInLoveWithMyers?

Runner
12-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Great, now I've got to come up with a new username.

how 'bout, ManInLoveWithMyers?

We'll still abbreviate it TKyss.

Goatcheese
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM

Myers is our most technically sound O-lineman, he's just physically too weak to be a good player in the modern NFL.

DexmanC
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

I just don't get it.

Exactly. Miami is 7-7, and fighting for a playoff spot, because they hold
every tiebreaker for THEIR DIVISION. Their 9-7 could REALISTICALLY
get them a playoff spot, and if WE finish 9-7, we only have a MATHEMATICAL
chance at the playoffs. Get it? The Dolphins finished 4-2 in THEIR division.
We finished 1-5 in OUR division.

Two 7-7 records are the same until you factor in TIE BREAKERS, which the
Texans lose to EVERY TEAM in the AFC SOUTH!

You get it now?

Hervoyel
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Myers is our most technically sound O-lineman, he's just physically too weak to be a good player in the modern NFL.

I'm just curious but do you think there's anything he can possibly do to remedy that? How much good can he do in the weight room I wonder?

houstonspartan
12-22-2009, 09:03 PM

You get it now?

Oh, see, you are getting a serious rep for this one.

That's exactly it. People don't really understand the importance of division games. But, when things get tight, those games are important. We can't measure ourselves as a team against all other 31 teams in the NFL, so we have to measure ourselves within our division. Then, every thing spirals out from there.

For some reason, a lot of people don't get that.

Goldensilence
12-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm just curious but do you think there's anything he can possibly do to remedy that? How much good can he do in the weight room I wonder?

I thought this off-season he had hit the weight room and gained something like 20 lbs? I could be wrong.

thunderkyss
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM

& that's basically all I've ever said.

If GK wants to implement the ZBS with our guys, I can't see him taking Myers off the field.

I actually believe Duane Brown is now our best offensive lineman, according to what is expected of the LT in a ZBS. He's as consistent as Myers, but much stronger.

Pitts either just didn't get it, or didn't want to IMHO, according to what I've seen. Pitts was also tossed around by Kris Jenkins, but nobody wants to talk about that. I believe the biggest reason we couldn't create running lanes was because Pitts preferred to play man blocking & try to overpower his opponent. While the rest of the line is trying to move laterally, he stood up his guy, and created a big pile in the middle of the field. Last year, Slaton did a good job of pressing the point of attack, then running around Pitts & the inevitable pile he made.

Winston has no intention of making a good, quality cut block. Which for the life of me, I can't understand why the majority of our run plays put him on the backside. Forget about a cutback. He's much better when the plays are to the right. He's great at the point of attack. The cutback lane has been there the majority of the time, but our backs are either too slow to get to it (Chris Brown), don't see it (Steve Slaton), or has no patience (Ryan Moats).

With Studdard, White, & Caldwell in the lineup, I think we've got 4 guys willing to do what Kubiak wants to do. But it's like starting back at square 1. They were the weakness in our run game (in addition to the RBs) up until about 4 weeks ago. Since then, they've been playing well enough to get some big runs out of the run game. SS also went down around that time.

thunderkyss
12-23-2009, 08:41 AM

You get it now?

Oh, see, you are getting a serious rep for this one.

That's exactly it. People don't really understand the importance of division games. But, when things get tight, those games are important. We can't measure ourselves as a team against all other 31 teams in the NFL, so we have to measure ourselves within our division. Then, every thing spirals out from there.

For some reason, a lot of people don't get that.

No I understand completely about divisional games. Those were the best teams we've played (including the Titans) & we were in every game to the very end. They didn't lay down & get their butts kicked. They didn't play mediocre football in those games.

Those games weren't lost by the coaches. If they executed the way we all know they are fully capable of executing, we'd have won every one of those games. IMO, you can't put that on Kubiak. Regardless what kind of fire was or was not there. Whatever kind of energy was or was not there, they were in those games, because of the preperation they had, the game plan they went into the game with, & the adjustments made throughout.

Even that HB Pass.... they prepared for it, it developed exactly the way they thought it would (everybody says so, Dressen, Brown, Kubiak) but our bad-ass lead blocker brain farted & hit the wrong guy. That's the difference between the success & failure of that play. We expected our best open field blocker to do his job, and he didn't.

After that, the play was doomed. You would think Chris Brown had the sense to know he has to throw it away, or eat it. He said he knew it, but when the chips were down, he choked. I don't think it's far fetched to expect Brown to do the right thing in that situation. We would have had three additional snaps in case the play didn't go right, if he had done 1 of those two things. eat it, or throw it out of bounds. He did neither.

If GK had called that play on 4th & 1, I would think it was a stupid call. But on 1st & 10.... why not?

Double Barrel
12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
But I'd rather be a good 7-9 team, than a bad 10-6 team.

Do wha.......? :um: spectacular loss > ugly win???

I guess I will never understand where you are coming from, because accepting a losing record over a winning record for whatever reason you conjure up is not a logic that I can comprehend.

I read and re-read your entire post just to make sense of it in my head, and I'm still not even at the comprehension stage.

To be honest, I have not observed even one convincing reason to keep Kubiak. I understand it's the owner's decision and we have to live with it, and so be it if that's the case and he's here in 2010.

But, the pretzel logic that some Kubiak-supporters twist and turn to make a case for him has been interesting, to say the least.

Kubiak is now the longest-tenured head coach to never have a winning record. 31 other owners expect and demand more than Kubiak has done for this team. Conclusions are becoming rather obvious.

DiehardChris
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
So, this thread was started as a joke - but apparently there's a decent chance he does get extended. There might be difficulties getting top assistants for a guy who might be gone after a year... although even with an extension, he could still be gone after 2010.

I don't know... I like Kubiak. I wanted him to return - but I can't possibly justify extending him right now... but at the same time - I want the team to get their top choice for an OC with Kyle running to his da-da's arms.

Double Barrel
01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I think Lucky's points regarding the pros of extending his contract are valid. I think McNair gives him a 2 year extension in order to project stability and long-term planning. Getting an OC for a one year deal is probably limiting our options.

BigBull17
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I could see giving him a 1 year extension, cause if it starts to look bleak, you can cut ties and not pay crazy cash to him.

JimC
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I could see giving him a 1 year extension, cause if it starts to look bleak, you can cut ties and not pay crazy cash to him.

Or maybe a 3-year extension with 1 year guaranteed and a bonus next February if he is still the coach. I agree, you can't guarantee more than 1 year at this point unless you're prepared to eat the guaranteed money. Until he proves he can win in his division -- against teams he plays twice a year -- you can't be certain you have a decent coach. It is a bad sign when the teams that you know best and that know you best always beat you.

I like Kubiak. I think he came in with so little talent that his record in his first two years was a miracle. As far as I'm concerned, he has had only two years on the job with enough talent to compete, and he is 1 game over .500 in that time. He and Smith have done great things with the level of talent on this team, and another year promises to simply increase the talent level further. I've always thought he needed to stay another year.

However, if he can't win in the division he can't remain as coach of this team.

The Texans play the NFC East next year, and it looks like Kubiak's mentor and his current offensive coordinator will be coaching for one of those teams. They could easily go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs again, simply because they have a very tough schedule. If they go 8-8 and go 3-3 or better in the division, I would be much more inclined to keep Kubiak than if they go 9-7 and 1-5 in the division again.