PDA

View Full Version : What if Kubiak resigns

Joe Texan
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
What if Old Man Shanahan goes to washington and Kubiak up and resigns to go back to Shany. Do you think he would do it and if so what would we do.

TexansSeminole
12-21-2009, 12:27 PM
What if Old Man Shanahan goes to washington and Kubiak up and resigns to go back to Shany. Do you think he would do it and if so what would we do.

It would be better than firing him. Some coaches may think Kubiak still deserves a shot and see his firing as a non-commitment from the owner. Either way it opens to door for us to sign a better coach.

El Tejano
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Now that's a good question. In a way after listening to the game and just seeing our teams mannerism, I started to think that possibly they've been told about their coaches intentions already.

I guess the only answer to your question is that it would make Mcnair's job easier.

powerfuldragon
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM

i doubt he'd do that. he's back for at least another season.

Mailman
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
What coach would walk away from a job with a multi-million dollar salary unless he had another head coaching job lined up?

Thorn
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Kubiak is not going to willingly give up his home town gig here. If he resigns, it won't be his idea.

houstonspartan
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Ridiculus. He will not resign. For one thing, it would void his contract, sending millions of dollars down the tubes. In addition, I don't think that is something he would ever do. He's a Head Coach here, and he thinks he's doing a great job (despite evidence to the contrary).

Joe Texan
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Look Yall know me and how I feel but given to last game and the blunders do you think Bob says I dont want to fire you but you should resign.

I saw some things you could directly relat to the coach in the last game and it is his ideas that always come back to haunt us. I know that the Driesen no catch was directly relatexd to OD not being here but the rookie fumble should have never happened cause the rookie should not have been playing. I do not want to use pink soap but I do see the immature coaching blunders and I was just thinking Bob might be frustrated with it and do the Texan thing and let him resign.

BattleRedToro
12-21-2009, 12:47 PM

The Texans would end up with a high pick from Washington for tampering because Kubiak is still under contract. That is why it would never happen.

Houston_Fanatic
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Ridiculus. He will not resign. For one thing, it would void his contract, sending millions of dollars down the tubes. In addition, I don't think that is something he would ever do. He's a Head Coach here, and he thinks he's doing a great job (despite evidence to the contrary).

Won't matter if it voids his contracts if he is offered good money to go where Shanny lands.

And I don't think Gary thinks he is going a great job. I think he is frustrated and blames himself for not being able to "figure it out". Unfortunately it isn't something you can work though mentally (hence my pink soap avatar).

Kubiak doesn't know how to get his team ready emotionally from week to week and keep them fired up to play at the level they are capable of playing. He also shows he does not fully believe in them by his dumbass game-day coaching decisions and the team reflects that.

disaacks3
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Now that's a good question. In a way after listening to the game and just seeing our teams mannerism, I started to think that possibly they've been told about their coaches intentions already.

I guess the only answer to your question is that it would make Mcnair's job easier. I don't think it'd happen either, but IF it did (as JT suggests), then I agree with your assessment.

I don't know what HC we'd get as a replacement right now, but I would really like to see a team with a killer instinct!

DiehardChris
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Kubes would be walking away from millions if he did that. Not going to happen.

While we're talking about how the Texans struggled against a crappy team yesterday, I'll also add that the Saints beat the Rams in St. Louis - 28-23. It's the NFL, not college. Sometimes horrible teams play well and barely lose. It happens. I'm not making excuses for Kubiak, but this time they actually found a way to win a close game.

El Tejano
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
The Texans would end up with a high pick from Washington for tampering because Kubiak is still under contract. That is why it would never happen.

Because Washington hasn't been accused of tampering before.

El Tejano
12-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm not making excuses for Kubiak, but this time they actually found a way to win a close game.

True. We would've found a way to lose that game a couple of weeks ago.

HoustonFrog
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/20/mmqb/1.html

So we'll see, as I said. As for now, I expect the Redskins to hire Mike Shanahan, and for Shanahan to bring in his own coaching staff -- including, as Chris Mortensen reported over the weekend, his son, current Houston offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, as offensive coordinator. I think Mike Shanahan would be energized by the Redskins and by working with Allen, a man as secretive and with the kind of football pedigree he likes, even if it means he has to use this year's first-round pick to find a quarterback instead of building the offensive line, which the Redskins definitely need to do.

utahmark
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Look Yall know me and how I feel but given to last game and the blunders do you think Bob says I dont want to fire you but you should resign.

I saw some things you could directly relat to the coach in the last game and it is his ideas that always come back to haunt us. I know that the Driesen no catch was directly relatexd to OD not being here but the rookie fumble should have never happened cause the rookie should not have been playing. I do not want to use pink soap but I do see the immature coaching blunders and I was just thinking Bob might be frustrated with it and do the Texan thing and let him resign.

so who should our rb be. no one wants brown running the ball. just have moats carry the ball 100% of the time. rookie running backs play every year. guys fumble, it's football. not sure how you blame kubes for that.

houstonspartan
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Won't matter if it voids his contracts if he is offered good money to go where Shanny lands.

And I don't think Gary thinks he is going a great job. I think he is frustrated and blames himself for not being able to "figure it out". Unfortunately it isn't something you can work though mentally (hence my pink soap avatar).

Kubiak doesn't know how to get his team ready emotionally from week to week and keep them fired up to play at the level they are capable of playing. He also shows he does not fully believe in them by his dumbass game-day coaching decisions and the team reflects that.

Yes, it would matter if he resigns. Even if Washington offered him big cash, he'd still be leaving like $3 million on the table here. If McNair fires him, Kubiak will get paid the rest of the contract.

That's why you rarely see coaches resign. Even if DC matched and exceeded Kubiaks salary here, he'd still be tossing $3 million down the tubes.

Not gonna happen.

NitroGSXR
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM

He's too stubborn to be a quitter. That's what he'd be if he left to take a lessor job. Now if his contract is up and he decided not to renew... That'd be a whole different ball of yarn.

Shaft75
12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
This is a joke right? Resign? Seriously?:lol:

Marcus
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
This is a joke right? Resign? Seriously?:lol:

Sadly, some of them actually are serious. :dontknowa

Ghostform
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
the only way he would resign is if chris brown quit the team or if for some reason in his contract it states he has to have atleast one winning season in his 5 year deal.

spurstexanstros
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM

I think its about as likely as tiger wood's wife forgetting about that pre nup that guarantees that much money.

How many years left in Kubiak's contract anyways.

disaacks3
12-21-2009, 02:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/20/mmqb/1.html including, as Chris Mortensen reported over the weekend, his son, current Houston offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, as offensive coordinator We'd have to permit him to even TALK with them - lateral moves are generally excluded w/o consent. (though you can get around them with adding things like Asst HC)

NitroGSXR
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I think its about as likely as tiger wood's wife forgetting about that pre nup that guarantees that much money.

How many years left in Kubiak's contract anyways.

I think it's a four year with an option for a fifth year. I think it's totally the Texans decision whether or not if he returns next year by picking up the option on Kubiak's contract. I think he's done for. The Texans should decline the option and begin interviewing candidates. At least let the big game candidates know that the Texans will have a vacancy for 2010.

J_R
12-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Kubiak resigning is just as likely as Houston making the playoffs. ;) (neither is likely)

Goldensilence
12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't see it happening.

Far as Kyle Shannahan goes. I don't see the appeal as an OC outside of working for his dad. He hasn't exactly proved much as an OC.

Mr. White
12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it's a four year with an option for a fifth year. I think it's totally the Texans decision whether or not if he returns next year by picking up the option on Kubiak's contract. I think he's done for. The Texans should decline the option and begin interviewing candidates. At least let the big game candidates know that the Texans will have a vacancy for 2010.

It's a 5-year contract. I think that has a lot to do with why McNair is so dead set on keeping him around after this season.

To the point of the thread, forced resignations happen in college football, but not really in the NFL...unless it's Al Davis or Jerry Jones calling the shots.

HoustonFrog
12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Don't see it happening.

Far as Kyle Shannahan goes. I don't see the appeal as an OC outside of working for his dad. He hasn't exactly proved much as an OC.

Maybe he feels Gary keeps yanking the duties away and his Dad will let him actually run the show a little more. You never know what someone is looking for when it comes to responsibilities.

scourge
12-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Was there a Kubiak presser today?

J_R
12-21-2009, 03:39 PM
^^It's going on right now

scourge
12-21-2009, 05:51 PM
was anything even remotely newsworthy said?

Double Barrel
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
What if Kubiak resigns...

"...Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/50/lens1610023_santa_claus_suits%5B1%5D.jpg

D-Frank
12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Kubiak wont be going with Mike Shanny, Lil Shanny will be goin with his pops where ever he goes.....

SheTexan
12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Kubiak wont be going with Mike Shanny, Lil Shanny will be goin with his pops where ever he goes.....

I really don't think baby Shanny wants to play for Dad. He said at one time he wants to do his own thang, can't remember where I read that, but, it was right after he came to Houston. PLUS, his best chance of EVER becoming a HC is to remain in HOUSTON. After all, we are the training grounds for coaches who want to move up the latter.

Kubes will be here one more year, as will baby Shanny. JMO! Kubes goes, baby Shanny will become HC.

mussop
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM

:wow::shocked

MannyFresh
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
I was hoping maybe he'd do it at today's presser, eh, wishful thinking...its interesting though how NO ONE put up a thread for his presser....guess its official and we are are tired of Kubiak and is lame Kubianswers.

markn
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
It's a little know fact that 'Kubiak' rhymes with 'Scooby Snack'.

MannyFresh
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
It's a little know fact that 'Kubiak' rhymes with 'Scooby Snack'.

Ok, now we wait for some clever Photoshop guru to morph the two...

bckey
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
:wow::shocked

That was my reaction also.

CloakNNNdagger
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I really don't think baby Shanny wants to play for Dad. He said at one time he wants to do his own thang, can't remember where I read that, but, it was right after he came to Houston. PLUS, his best chance of EVER becoming a HC is to remain in HOUSTON. After all, we are the training grounds for coaches who want to move up the latter.

Kubes will be here one more year, as will baby Shanny. JMO! Kubes goes, baby Shanny will become HC.

Little Shanny gave this explanation when he was essentially low rung on the totem pole. He wanted to "prove" himself without people saying that it was solely via papa's influence. He's now worked his way up to OC on his own. If his father asks him to join him in a significant capacity, especially one that if Papa is successful, he steps into his father's shoes or becomes very much sought after as HC candidate............he will not turn down his father.

If Kubiak fails here, Little Shanny will likely be seen as having at least shared the play calling problems seen. Rightly or wrongly, this will be the strong perception...........and the very possibility of the aforementioned responsibility will likely be enough to preclude a promotion to HC...........at least here in HOUSTON.

Goldensilence
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Wait what?! Training ground for coaches who want to move up the ladder? Is that some sort of trick statement? Other then Mike Sherman taking the HC gig at A&M who the hell has "moved up the ladder" ?! Who has been called by other teams in HC searches? What position coaches have been mentioned for coordinator positions?

Last year I think it was the final game against Chicago that Kubiak admitted he let Kyle call a full game. This year he's admitted he's taken over play calling duties on multiple occasions.

Truth is Kyle is the team's OC but, I guess I'm the only one left wondering what exactly is Kyle allowed to do under Kubiak. There is nothing at all that suggests to me Kyle is anywhere near ready to be a HC, much less a candidate for a team that, if or when it does make a change at HC, would likely be looking for an experienced candidate.

Ugh. "Baby" or "lil Shanny" reminds me of how these team perpetually is youth driven along with Kubiak's "kids".

houstonspartan
12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Wait what?! Training ground for coaches who want to move up the ladder? Is that some sort of trick statement? Other then Mike Sherman taking the HC gig at A&M who the hell has "moved up the ladder" ?! Who has been called by other teams in HC searches? What position coaches have been mentioned for coordinator positions?

Last year I think it was the final game against Chicago that Kubiak admitted he let Kyle call a full game. This year he's admitted he's taken over play calling duties on multiple occasions.

Truth is Kyle is the team's OC but, I guess I'm the only one left wondering what exactly is Kyle allowed to do under Kubiak. There is nothing at all that suggests to me Kyle is anywhere near ready to be a HC, much less a candidate for a team that, if or when it does make a change at HC, would likely be looking for an experienced candidate.

Ugh. "Baby" or "lil Shanny" reminds me of how these team perpetually is youth driven along with Kubiak's "kids".

I agree with this. I don't get the talk of Kyle being a head coach. He is at least five years away from being ready.

Norg
12-21-2009, 11:13 PM
at this point i wouldnt care if kubes stays or goes

houstonspartan
12-21-2009, 11:50 PM
at this point i wouldnt care if kubes stays or goes

You know, I know how you feel. I was thinking just earlier today how I just wanted the Texans season to be OVER. This has been such a disappointing season, that I'm tired of thinking about it.

GP
12-22-2009, 11:14 AM
You know, I know how you feel. I was thinking just earlier today how I just wanted the Texans season to be OVER. This has been such a disappointing season, that I'm tired of thinking about it.

Same here.

It looks like the off-season from where I am sitting.

Cjeremy635
12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
so who should our rb be. no one wants brown running the ball. just have moats carry the ball 100% of the time. rookie running backs play every year. guys fumble, it's football. not sure how you blame kubes for that.

Exactly, nobody was complaining when Slaton was running the ball great his rookie year.

Texan_Bill
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Exactly, nobody was complaining when Slaton was running the ball great his rookie year.

What about Jonathon Wells his rookie season. :hides:

Cjeremy635
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
What about Jonathon Wells his rookie season. :hides:

Why you messin' with me Bill? You're killin' me smalls........:voodoo:

LOL

PHAROAH
12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Kubiak won't resign please give me a break.

BattleRedToro
12-22-2009, 02:47 PM

I guess you forgot about Troy Calhoun, Kubiak's 1st OC and QB's Coach. He was hired away from Kubiak's staff to be the Head Coach of the Air Force Academy.