PDA

View Full Version : Consultant for Texans

badboy
12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Didn't McNair hire a consultant to advise him during Capers last season with Texans? Maybe I am imagining things but I thought it was a guy that had coached or had been a GM. He was to walk around the practices and sit in on meetings. If I am correct would that be something he should do next season if he keeps Kubiac?

Wolf6151
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
It was Dan Reeves, ex-headcoach of the Denver Broncos.

Goldensilence
12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Yep I was going to say Dan Reeves.

In hindsight it didn't do a whole lot of good because McNair didn't shake things up enough and all he really wanted to hear was if he could win with Davey Carr.

The only way I'd be ok with another deal like this is if the guy McNair brought in was a guy familiar with how a good FO works. Perhaps advice from a guy like Ernie Acorsi or Ron Wolfe.

I'd also give our scouting department a long look.

HJam72
12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
It didn't do any good at all, because Reeves apparently told him we'd be just fine with David Carr. I could've made that bonehead decision for free. :mcnugget:

badboy
12-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Since there was history for it, I thought it was interesting to discuss.

HJam72
12-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I'm all for the discussion, it just burns me up that Dan Reeves came in and couldn't do any better than that.

Mr. White
12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Here's how I remember it.

Bob McNair didn't know any football guys outside of Casserly back then so he hired Dan Reeves to come in as a consultant.

Back then, I thought Reeves would stay on in that capacity, kind of like Bill Walsh did with the 49ers after he retired.

From what I can tell, he advised McNair to can Capers and Casserly since they were both gone pretty soon after he left.

He also told McNair to not pick up Carr's option and pick up Vince Young in the draft according to his old Sirius show in 2006. Here's (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32579&highlight=reeves) a thread here that Vinny started in case anyone wants to walk down Memory Ln.

Maybe he didn't stick around because McNair didn't follow his advice.

MannyFresh
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Here's how I remember it.

Bob McNair didn't know any football guys outside of Casserly back then so he hired Dan Reeves to come in as a consultant.

Back then, I thought Reeves would stay on in that capacity, kind of like Bill Walsh did with the 49ers after he retired.

From what I can tell, he advised McNair to can Capers and Casserly since they were both gone pretty soon after he left.

He also told McNair to not pick up Carr's option and pick up Vince Young in the draft according to his old Sirius show in 2006. Here's (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32579&highlight=reeves) a thread here that Vinny started in case anyone wants to walk down Memory Ln.

Maybe he didn't stick around because McNair didn't follow his advice.

He wouldn't listen huh? Sounds like a guy we know up 45 North...