PDA

View Full Version : Chris Henry (Bengals) involved in serious crash*UPDATE*-passes away 12/17/09

Texan_Bill
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Bengals' Chris Henry Seriously Injured in Car Crash
0Comments
12/16/2009 5:43 PM ET By Michael David Smith

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was seriously hurt in a car crash Wednesday in the Charlotte area, TV station WLWT is reporting. The Bengals confirmed the news, releasing a short statement that Henry suffered "very serious" injuries.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan told WLWT that Henry is listed in serious condition in a Charlotte-area hospital. Brennan said the team is ready to offer assistance to Henry's family as needed.

There is no word on the cause of the crash or the specific nature of Henry's injuries. The Bengals say he was in Charlotte visiting his girlfriend's family.

Henry, who was once a poster boy for the NFL's problems with off-field player misconduct, has had a relatively quiet 2009 both on and off the field. He had 12 catches for 236 yards as a Bengals backup this season before being placed on injured reserve with a broken forearm last month.

Bengals' Chris Henry Seriously Injured in Car Crash (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/12/16/bengals-chris-henry-seriously-injured-in-car-crash/)

JDizzle
12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm now reading in Twitterland that he's passed away. Sad.

Texan_Bill
12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm now reading in Twitterland that he's passed away. Sad.

They mentioned that on 1560 but still can't find a report to document back-up his passing. Most reports are saying "life threatening auto accident"

GlassHalfFull
12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
I read that the twitter's were fake. Not sure what it true. This article says "suffering life-threatening injuries"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/wires/12/16/2020.ap.fbn.bengals.henry.2nd.ld.writethru.0308/

texdawg
12-16-2009, 07:48 PM
26 yrs old is way too young for this to happen. Sad.

Vinny
12-16-2009, 07:59 PM
A law enforcement official in North Carolina tells us they "observed no visible injuries" on Tonga at the scene of the accident.

Cops said there was a "domestic situation" just before Henry fell out of the back of the truck. Authorities are investigating whether Henry jumped off the truck or whether he was thrown.

The official says they are investigating the possibility the Cincinnati Bengal was thrown from the truck after Tonga swerved back and forth.
Police told the Cincinnati Enquirer that Henry jumped into the back of the bed of a truck driven by his fiance, Loleini Tonga. Henry then fell out of the truck as the dispute between the two lingered.

Police found Henry with life-threatening injuries.http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/12/bengals-wr-chris-henry-suffers-very-serious-injuries-in-car-accident/1
http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/16/chris-henry-loleini-tonga-accident-critical-cincinnati-bengals-north-carolina/#ixzz0Zu4FNJRS

texdawg
12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Joe Reedy of Cincinnati Enquirer reporting that Chris Henry is on life support and situation is "dire".

Vinny
12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
The CMPD Homicide Unit and H.I.T.S. Unit are investigating the incident. http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11689306

HoustonFrog
12-16-2009, 09:09 PM
This is incredibly sad. I know the guy has had trouble but I like the fact that he kept coming back and trying. I think he had avoided trouble this year. Sounds like he jumped in truck and got thrown. My prayers to him

kastofsna
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
this is an odd situation with all the twitter stuff

bah007
12-16-2009, 10:46 PM
This is incredibly sad. I know the guy has had trouble but I like the fact that he kept coming back and trying. I think he had avoided trouble this year. Sounds like he jumped in truck and got thrown. My prayers to him

He kept coming back because he needed the money and this is all he knows how to do. It's not any more noble than that.

Based on what little I know of him, Chris Henry isn't a very good person. But nobody deserves this. I hope he pulls through.

MannyFresh
12-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Prayers for Chris Henry and his family.

GuerillaBlack
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
RIP Chris Henry.

WWJD
12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
How sad. That's the 2nd death this year that squad has had to deal with.

mexican_texan
12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
RIP Chris Henry.
Yeah, I'm hearing he's passed away.

texdawg
12-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Sad. Thoughts and prayers to Chris and family.

Texan_Bill
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Apparently ESPN is reporting that he did in fact die... I'll try to find a link

J_R
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
RIP Chris Henry

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/17/nfl-star-chris-henry-dies/

Texan_Bill
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Bengals' Henry dies at 26Comment

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry died Thursday, one day after suffering injures in a fall from the back of a pickup truck, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said. He was 26.

Police on Wednesday described the incident as a domestic dispute with his fiancée. Henry was found in the road about eight miles north of downtown Charlotte

Linkage: Bengals' Henry dies at 26 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4750615)

HoustonFrog
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
He kept coming back because he needed the money and this is all he knows how to do. It's not any more noble than that.

Based on what little I know of him, Chris Henry isn't a very good person. But nobody deserves this. I hope he pulls through.

I'm not saying his death or life affects my life. We didn't know him. But the coach kept giving him shots. But my condolences are sincere. I'm by no mean naive. At 39, I almost died twice of two random events to my heart that had nothing to do with my lifestyle or genetics. Just a fluke flu bug and a messed up procedure. My perspective after this really put focus on my kids and family even more(I was tight with my family and was a doting Dad before) So when I see a guy really flawed like Henry and I read he might have finally gotten it, I'd like to think that hopefully he had a wake up call and maybe his kids and family started taking priority. With that said, it would be ashame to get it and then lose it all. Especially if the kids loved him for being Dad and not the guy with a rap sheet.

gtexan02
12-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, what a horrible tragedy.
The story that is being painted seems to imply that he was involved in an argument with his fiance, she decided to leave, he jumped into the back of the pickup truck, and she swerved to throw him out.

What I don't get is how it took so long for police to find him. It sounds like he was on the road for a long time.

Condolensces to him and his family. Its especially sad when it seems like someone with some trouble in their past turns around their life, matures, and starts acting right only to have things like this happen

False Start
12-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Sad news.

bah007
12-17-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not saying his death or life affects my life. We didn't know him. But the coach kept giving him shots. But my condolences are sincere. I'm by no mean naive. At 39, I almost died twice of two random events to my heart that had nothing to do with my lifestyle or genetics. Just a fluke flu bug and a messed up procedure. My perspective after this really put focus on my kids and family even more(I was tight with my family and was a doting Dad before) So when I see a guy really flawed like Henry and I read he might have finally gotten it, I'd like to think that hopefully he had a wake up call and maybe his kids and family started taking priority. With that said, it would be ashame to get it and then lose it all. Especially if the kids loved him for being Dad and not the guy with a rap sheet.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I didn't mean to come off as a dick. I just don't like it when our society glosses over a person's bad characteristics just because something happened to them. This probably isn't the right time to be talking about that though.

My prayers go out to his family. I hope that he had turned it around and was able to be a positive influence on these kids and that's what they remember him as.

TEXANS84
12-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow, very very sad news.

For all that he has done to turn his life around, and for this to happen from someone he loves is just hard to grasp.

kastofsna
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Goodell has posthumously suspended him 4 games for his behavior.

HoustonFrog
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
I totally understand where you are coming from. I didn't mean to come off as a dick. I just don't like it when our society glosses over a person's bad characteristics just because something happened to them. This probably isn't the right time to be talking about that though.

My prayers go out to his family. I hope that he had turned it around and was able to be a positive influence on these kids and that's what they remember him as.

You weren't being a dick. I just wanted to explain my perspective on it. I know some out there will say he had it coming/karma, etc.(saw alot of it at another site) I just don't think that way.

Texan_Bill
12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
You weren't being a dick. I just wanted to explain my perspective on it. I know some out there will say he had it coming/karma, etc.(saw alot of it at another site) I just don't think that way.

Whether that is true or not ("had it coming", karma, etc.) has nothing to do with his family and those most affected by his passing. So, I agree with your line of thinking.

BIG TORO
12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
He just Passed away,
Damn, thats crazy Bengals will probably dedicate the rest of the season to him!
R.I.P.

Mr. White
12-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Rip :(

12-17-2009, 11:04 AM

lol... too soon.

12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
but yeah, RIP chris henry. damn.

Hervoyel
12-17-2009, 11:12 AM
It's hard to miss how regularly someone who's misbehavoir lands them in trouble turns it around and then has something tragic happen to them anyway. It's enough to make you pause and contemplate how easily things can change. It reminds me of Sean Taylor too. Very sad news indeed.

Hardcore Texan
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Very sad. RIP

How did the fiance not go back and check on him after he was thrown from the truck? Or did she, I read he was on the road for awhile somewhere?

steelbtexan
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM

LOL

I had some humorous thoughts to but all I can type is

RIP

Chris Henry

Joe Texan
12-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Man this is sad. All the way around and to think the fiance was looking at a marriage to a NFL star and now looking at Murder, 20 to life.

No matter how bad this kid was he did not deserve this, the Golddigger should have slowed down and let him get out the car. I go nothing for the Girl But My Prayers go out to Chris and his family.

Blake
12-17-2009, 12:08 PM
He looks like a night elf from world of warcraft.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/12/17/henry.ap/chris-henry-tx1.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/12/17/henry.ap/chris-henry-ap.jpg

Second Honeymoon
12-17-2009, 12:26 PM
RIP Chris Henry. You looked to have just begun to get your career back.

May God have mercy on your soul and on the soul of your fiancee who may be charged/responsible for negligence in your death.

No one deserves to die like a dog on the side of the road and something tells me his fiancee is going to have to pay the piper.

Dr2bKay
12-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Please do no come to my thread or my funeral talking shit about me....I may need to put that in my will to verbally go off on anyone that brings up my shortcomings when they are supposed to be remembering me and hopefully the good moments....

Lord have mercy on the sinners...since only he can judge them.

Texan_Bill
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Please do no come to my thread or my funeral talking shit about me....I may need to put that in my will to verbally go off on anyone that brings up my shortcomings when they are supposed to be remembering me and hopefully the good moments....

Lord have mercy on the sinners...since only he can judge them.

The only "shortcoming" you have is being short. :)

Seriously though, this is sad. He had 3 kids who are now fatherless because of a heated squable where both people acted poorly. It's times like this when we should all remind ourselves to take a breath and calm down when we are squabbling with our loved ones.

kastofsna
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
No one deserves to die like a dog on the side of the road

except dogs apparently http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Mr teX
12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Everyone always assumes that it's the NFL players (big physical guys on roid rages) who are at fault when domestic violence calls are made by spouses. In this case, it seems like a major part of his problems in that arena may have been that he just got caught up with more than a few of those crazy women..

what i want to know is who found him...if it was anyone other than his "fiance", she should rightfully get what's coming to her. I feel the most pain for the kids though...

BigBull17
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
It's a shame when someone can't seem to seperate themselves form these situations. Sad he had to die due to it. Maybe someone learns from it, but I doubt it.

gtexan02
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Life just doesn't make sense to me sometimes.

Why does it seem like he gets punished after turning his life around?
This is a story thats all too familiar. Someone cleans up, takes responsibility, and thats when they hit tragedy. Why? This makes no sense to me given my belief system, and its something that Ive been wondering about more and more lately

kastofsna
12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
This is a story thats all too familiar. Someone cleans up, takes responsibility, and thats when they hit tragedy. Why? This makes no sense to me given my belief system, and its something that Ive been wondering about more and more lately

he didn't get "punished," he got into an altercation with his fiance, she ran off, he jumped in the back of the truck and he flew out of it and died. he wasn't ambushed and killed, he made a stupid decision that echoes familiarity with pretty much anything else he's done before this.

the only reason people think he's "cleaned up" and taken responsibility is because we haven't heard anything horrible out of him since his last arrest. but that doesn't mean anything.

we need to get over the whole image thing that athletes portray to the media; they really mean nothing at all.

TD
12-17-2009, 02:02 PM
It's a shame when someone can't seem to seperate themselves form these situations. Sad he had to die due to it. Maybe someone learns from it, but I dount it.

It is sad. Every time something like this happens I do quick inventory of the stupid things I have done in life and realize that but for the grace of God go I. We all let our emotions drive us to stupidity....unfortunately some people pay a heavier price than others.

gtexan02
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM
the only reason people think he's "cleaned up" and taken responsibility is because we haven't heard anything horrible out of him since his last arrest. but that doesn't mean anything.

Coaches, other players, and he himself all mentioned this earlier this year. He even got a new tattoo (I see the irony in this :))

kastofsna
12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Coaches, other players, and he himself all mentioned this earlier this year. He even got a new tattoo (I see the irony in this :))

again, this means nothing. you always hear the family members and neighbors of the guy who killed some kid and they say "he was a nice man, never would harm anyone," etc.

HoustonFrog
12-17-2009, 02:22 PM
This is from a Bengal fan at Pigskinaddiction

http://www.hogstrough.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=67275&view=findpost&p=622934

I saw this on one of our local radio host's site. Lance McAllister interviewed Henry a couple of months ago, and I heard the interview. He was open and honest about everything, and he answered every question without sugar coating anything. Between that interview, and some other encounters that people I know had with him over the past year, I changed my opinion of him, and I started to become a fan of his.

Here's what Lance posted today on his site:

"What sad and tragic news. Chris and Loleini were in studio with me just before the start of training camp.
Chris talked about where he was in his life. He took calls from fans and welcomed the chance to explain how he was changing his life. He's a very shy and quiet person. But he really opened up that day. Those that know Chris had told me he'd cut ties with the bad influences in his life. He was surrounding himself with better people and was making better decisions. You could tell he finally appreciated how close he came to losing her and his playing career. He talked about how much the support of Carson Palmer meant and how their relationship had grown. They had spent a great deal of time working out together in LA that offseason. We talked about his relationship with Loleini and their wedding plans. I asked her if she wanted to talk on the air and she said no....with a look of horror on her face. But when Chris started talking about the wedding plans her face lit up. She started talking about planning a wedding for 400 people and joked how Chris was no help.
I asked her how she got through all the trouble he'd gotten into. She said it was with tears and prayers. They both got very emotional during the interview. Afterward, he thanked me for having him on and giving him a chance to talk to the fans. I remember thinking to myself, how did that guy ever get in that much trouble? He seemed like a totally different person. He had put some pretty good distance between himself and his last incident of trouble.
I think it's been almost 18 months since he's run into any issues.
He would always say hello in the locker room. Just before the bye week I asked him what he was going to be doing. He said he was going back to Charlotte to work on wedding plans. So sad."

Even if you don't feel sorry for Chris Henry, how can you not feel for his family? Say what you want to about him, but he did love his kids, and he lit up when he talked about them.

http://i47.tinypic.com/1etls9.jpg

BigBull17
12-17-2009, 02:24 PM
again, this means nothing. You always hear the family members and neighbors of the guy who killed some kid and they say "he was a nice man, never would harm anyone," etc.

qft.

gtexan02
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
again, this means nothing. you always hear the family members and neighbors of the guy who killed some kid and they say "he was a nice man, never would harm anyone," etc.

Says who? You? How long have you known Chris and his family? I expect you're very close to know the situation so well. /sarcasm

As for saying nice things about people who killed someone, umm, no you don't? Usually when someone kills someone people come out of the woodwork to say "wow, what a weirdo, I always knew there was something off about him!"

Sometimes the PR people try and build up a guys public image. See Kobe Bryant for example.

PR people don't give a crap about someone like Chris Henry. The guy talked openly about the changes he's made, the coaches echoed this, and so did his friends, familiy, and teammates

All this came out well BEFORE the accident, so dont even see how your murderer anology is even relevent.

Showtime100
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
My thoughts and prayer go out Chris and to the Henry family. Terrible news.

El Tejano
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Don't know the answer to that. Maybe God saw the bigger picture of his life down the road and saw something Chris wasn't going to be able to get out of and now that he cleaned his life up, now would be the best time to take him back. Don't know.

Yankee_In_TX
12-17-2009, 03:07 PM

I was saddened when ESPN update the story at about 8 this morning. I agree and we will not understand the bigger picture while we're here.

Sounds like they just had a bad night and things got a little out of hand and tragedy struck.

Honoring Earl 34
12-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I was saddened when ESPN update the story at about 8 this morning. I agree and we will not understand the bigger picture while we're here.

Sounds like they just had a bad night and things got a little out of hand and tragedy struck.

Maybe he was allowed to stay until he turned it around ?

mattieuk
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Sad news, thoughts and prayers with his family.

kastofsna
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Says who? You? How long have you known Chris and his family? I expect you're very close to know the situation so well. /sarcasm

As for saying nice things about people who killed someone, umm, no you don't? Usually when someone kills someone people come out of the woodwork to say "wow, what a weirdo, I always knew there was something off about him!"

Sometimes the PR people try and build up a guys public image. See Kobe Bryant for example.

PR people don't give a crap about someone like Chris Henry. The guy talked openly about the changes he's made, the coaches echoed this, and so did his friends, familiy, and teammates

All this came out well BEFORE the accident, so dont even see how your murderer anology is even relevent.

yeah, you're not getting it at all.

the point is that no one knows anything about Chris Henry's personal life except for Chris Henry.

my murderer analogy is quite apt because neighbors who say they didn't suspect a thing and say he's a nice guy are just confirming that no one knows anybody, so to be THAT far outside of reality as a fan who's just observing news wires definitely don't know what's going on. any athlete can spin their image any way they want.

Dr2bKay
12-17-2009, 03:55 PM
This is just totally sad. I pray that everyone close to him find comfort in their higher power. This is too close to the holidays. I wanted to cry seeing the player interviews, especially the one of Chad speaking...

I am so happy that I am flying to be with my family on tomorrow.

gtexan02
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
yeah, you're not getting it at all.

the point is that no one knows anything about Chris Henry's personal life except for Chris Henry.

my murderer analogy is quite apt because neighbors who say they didn't suspect a thing and say he's a nice guy are just confirming that no one knows anybody, so to be THAT far outside of reality as a fan who's just observing news wires definitely don't know what's going on. any athlete can spin their image any way they want.

I get what you're saying perfectly fine, I just happen to disagree with it. I think its hillarious that you believe that no one can know whats going on in your life except you. Maybe you live like a hermit, but plenty of people know a lot about whats going in my life.

I still don't follow your murder analogy. Chris was into a lot of crappy stuff, and everyone knew it. He knew it, his family and friends knew it, his coaches knew it, even his school knew it. He got a 2nd and 3rd chance, and things were going well for him. His family noticed a change, he noticed a change, his teammates noticed a change, etc.

Double Barrel
12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
RIP Chris Henry :(

playa465
12-17-2009, 04:50 PM
RIP Chris Henry, I feel for his family and friends.

Joe Texan
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
except dogs apparently http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

Dude Dogs do not deserve to die on the side of a road either

Texan_Bill
12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Dude Dogs do not deserve to die on the side of a road either

Joe, I think he was being facetious and that's exactly the point he was making to another poster.

stingray
12-17-2009, 06:31 PM
R.I.P. Chris....

I took this pic of him last year when the Bengals visited Reliant.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/ray9175/BengalsTexans10-26-08013.jpg

TEXANS84
12-17-2009, 06:46 PM
911 call can be heard here. (http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/17/chris-henry-911-call-hes-beating-on-the-truck/)

Hagar
12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Given the 911 recordings, she left him for dead. I can't say I blame her, aparently he was beating on the back of the cab like a mad man.

Some people just have turbulent lives. I hope his after life is better.

RIP

Kaiser Toro
12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
He was a bad machine.

Blake
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe NFL teams should think twice before drafting a person like Chris Henry. Dude was a bad apple from his days at WV. Some things never change.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
He was a bad machine.

'Midnight Express' reference?

HoustonFrog
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Given the 911 recordings, she left him for dead. I can't say I blame her, aparently he was beating on the back of the cab like a mad man.

Some people just have turbulent lives. I hope his after life is better.

RIP

Yeah there was even a report that he was screaming about killing himself by jumping out. Kind of contradicts the skid marks, etc I've read about her leaving. Crazy and sad altogether.

kastofsna
12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe NFL teams should think twice before drafting a person like Chris Henry. Dude was a bad apple from his days at WV. Some things never change.

on the other hand, denying a guy with bad character his only real opportunity in life probably won't end up well either.

it's a tough call.

mexican_texan
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Thing is, he did change, as did Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor had an epiphany after the birth of his daughter and according to his teammates, he was a completely different person when he became a father.

I can't say Chris Henry had the same happen to him, but he definitely wasn't the headcase he was not too long ago.

Showtime100
12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Thing is, he did change, as did Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor had an epiphany after the birth of his daughter and according to his teammates, he was a completely different person when he became a father.

I can't say Chris Henry had the same happen to him, but he definitely wasn't the headcase he was not too long ago.

Here's the deal. I posted earlier "thoughts and prayers" and I meant that, but if you die because you were trying to beat yourself into a pickup like Jason in a Friday The 13th movie, sorry, the change isn't complete.

Wolf6151
12-18-2009, 02:25 PM
on the other hand, denying a guy with bad character his only real opportunity in life probably won't end up well either.

it's a tough call.

I disagree. Just because a guy has bad character issues and tons of athleticism doesn't mean that his only chance in life is through pro sports. He's got the same chances in life that all the rest of us have. The chance to do right, get an education, and make a living like all the rest of us. Most of these guys waste their high school and free college education in favor of athletics, who's fault is that. He's a man when he turns 18 yoa stop making excuses for him and just because he hasn't been arrested recently doesn't mean that he turned his life around and was living better, it just means he hasn't been caught recently. The woman was fleeing from him after an argument and he jumps into the back of the truck and tries to beat his way through the back window to get at her, that doesn't sound like someone who's changed their life at all. Also this guy was on injured reserve due to a broken arm yet he was able to jump into a truck bed and tried to beat his way into the cab to get at the girlfriend, doesn't sound like much of an injury to me. Also what do yall think would have happened to the girlfriend if he had been successful at beating out the back window and getting into the cab of the truck?

Kaiser Toro
12-18-2009, 02:47 PM
'Midnight Express' reference?

Eggsactly

Blake
12-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Here's the deal. I posted earlier "thoughts and prayers" and I meant that, but if you die because you were trying to beat yourself into a pickup like Jason in a Friday The 13th movie, sorry, the change isn't complete.

Or maybe the T-1000 in Terminator 2?

Other than that, I totally agree with your point for once.

Showtime100
12-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Or maybe the T-1000 in Terminator 2?

Other than that, I totally agree with your point for once.

Now I just feel dirty.

infantrycak
12-18-2009, 05:40 PM

Yup, if you are in such a screwed up relationship she'll leave you dying in the road after you've been trying to pound your way into her vehicle you aren't completely changed. That looks more like you've just been holding it together better - kind of like "good time" in jail.

TEXANS84
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Fiance, and three kids.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/12/17/henryx-large.jpg

HoustonFrog
06-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Interesting stuff. Sad if his behavior was linked to this. We will see as more info comes out with this type of damage and how it affects behavior.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

Chris Henry, the Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver who died in a traffic accident last year, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) -- a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head -- at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute, a research center affiliated with West Virginia University.

"We would have been very happy if the results had been negative, but multiple areas of Chris Henry's brain showed CTE," said Julian Bailes, Director of BIRI and chairman of neurosurgery at West Virginia. Bailes and his colleagues plan to present results of their forensic examination at a news conference Monday afternoon.

Researchers have now discovered CTE in the brains of more than 50 deceased former athletes, including more than a dozen NFL and college players, pro wrestler Chris Benoit and NHL player Reggie Fleming.

Repeated blows to the head are the only known cause of CTE, researchers say. Concussive hits can trigger a buildup of toxic tau protein within the brain, which in turn can create damaging tangles and threads in the neural fibers that connect brain tissue. Victims can lose control of their impulses, suffer depression and memory loss, and ultimately develop dementia.

While the links between CTE and behavior are still being studied, many of the former athletes diagnosed with this form of brain damage died under unusual circumstances. Ex-Steeler Justin Strzelczyk, for example, was killed in 2004 after experiencing hallucinations, leading police on a high-speed chase for 40 miles before driving his car into a tanker truck. In 2007, Benoit strangled his wife and 7-year-old son, then put Bibles next to their bodies and hanged himself. Tom McHale, a guard for three NFL teams remembered by teammates as smart and dependable, sank into depression and died of a multiple-drug overdose in 2008.

CTE can be pinpointed only by autopsy, and even under regular post-mortem analysis, its effects are invisible. But using cell-staining techniques discovered and developed by Bennet Omalu, a neuropathologist who is co-director of BIRI, scientists can see the dangerous tau proteins and telltale tangles that characterize CTE. After staining, normal brain cells are blue and uncluttered under a microscope, while Henry's brain cells were discolored, clumpy and filled with threads, according to the researchers.

Now, Bailes -- and likely Henry's family, friends and fans -- will wonder if his neural damage contributed to his emotional volatility, including whatever problems he was suffering the day he died.

"I think it did," Bailes said. "Superimposed on the acute brain injuries Chris suffered when he died, there was fairly extensive damage throughout his brain that was fully consistent with CTE. This syndrome is expressed not only as changes in the brain, but clinically, as behavioral changes. And starting with Mike Webster, we have seen common threads in these cases: emotional disturbances, depression, failed personal relationships and businesses, suicidal thoughts, sometimes alcohol or drug use."

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
This is the landmark article (http://www.bu.edu/alzresearch/cste/documents/JNEN-McKeeetal2009.pdf) I read 1 year ago. As you can see, this entity has been known about since the 20's relating to boxers. In fact, CTE was always referred to as PUGULISTIC DEMENTIA. It just has not been very well studied and characterized until recently. The article I've linked is very medically and scientifically in depth. But, I believe that focusing on just reading the Introduction, Case examples, Guidelines for Prevention and Treatment and Conclusion could be an informative endeavor for those interested.

Yankee_In_TX
06-28-2010, 02:25 PM
It was very sad to hear this. We can only hope that as a result of the tragic deaths of high profile folks that this will get the attention it needs.

The1ApplePie
06-28-2010, 03:16 PM
So, this is the same thing that made Benoit got nuts?

GP
06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
So, this is the same thing that made Benoit got nuts?

Yes. The article says it makes some people act upon impulses. This, coupled with the depression and eventual dimentia aspect....well, go figure.

Think about the impact on MMA fighters. Zero helmet.

The1ApplePie
06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Yes. The article says it makes some people act upon impulses. This, coupled with the depression and eventual dimentia aspect....well, go figure.

Think about the impact on MMA fighters. Zero helmet.

Put they get knocked out quick, in one shot. Hurts like hell but no real damage.

Its the repeated pounding that does the damage. Getting your dome crushed by steel chairs and concrete like Benoit for a few decades does it. Getting punched in the head a few hundred times a match (even with a glove) does it.

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Put they get knocked out quick, in one shot. Hurts like hell but no real damage.

Its the repeated pounding that does the damage. Getting your dome crushed by steel chairs and concrete like Benoit for a few decades does it. Getting punched in the head a few hundred times a match (even with a glove) does it.

Would you please clarify this statement. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

The1ApplePie
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Would you please clarify this statement. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Its better for you brain to take one good shot and go lights out than it is to get wacked in the brain a few hundred times a match.

GP
06-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Its better for you brain to take one good shot and go lights out than it is to get wacked in the brain a few hundred times a match.

A typical career fighter is going to receive multiple shots to the head every fight, and the gloves they wear are 5 oz. gloves which are not really much of anything. Also need to factor in the shots they get from knees, elbows, and the shin during a head kick.

In addition, they wrap their hands to the degree that they use around 2 or 3 rolls of tape for their hands. Fighters say it's almost like having a cast on it, in terms of the compacted and solid nature of the tape job.

The glove is to protect the hand (from abrasions and cuts) not the head of the person being punched.

If a guy is fighting 4 or 5 times a year, including sparring during the months leading up to the fight, and they do this for the better part of 10-15 years...I would say that they stand a good chance at suffering from the aftermath of it.

Not sure if they have done studies on MMA fighters, but am just guessing that it can't be good over the long haul.

One thing I am wondering: Is there anything in the person's family medical history that is a lot of the problem here? Was Benoit and/or Henry the type of person who had a family history of mental/emotional instability? Therefore, is the trauma to the head more of a catalyst than perhaps the actual cause of the sever cases?

Because we're not seeing this in ALL cases.

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 05:20 PM

That's what I thought you meant. Unfortunately, that's not how it works. The more severe the concussion, i.e., "lights out," results in much more concentration of brain damage and requires much less repetition than hits to the head not leading to any signs of even "mild" evidence of concussion. Why do you think that you hear about QBs taking only their 7th or 8th documented concussion.........and being advised by their physicians to retire early, ala Aikman and Young?

nero THE zero
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
One thing I am wondering: Is there anything in the person's family medical history that is a lot of the problem here? Was Benoit and/or Henry the type of person who had a family history of mental/emotional instability? Therefore, is the trauma to the head more of a catalyst than perhaps the actual cause of the sever cases?

Because we're not seeing this in ALL cases.
A semi-related article (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976) to this end; re: nature vs. nurture.

Koolaid Time
06-28-2010, 06:20 PM
It was very sad to hear this. We can only hope that as a result of the tragic deaths of high profile folks that this will get the attention it needs.

How about a products liability claim against Riddell on the helmets? That will get some attention.

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Not sure if they have done studies on MMA fighters, but am just guessing that it can't be good over the long haul.

GP, your guess is solid.

MMA fighters at risk of brain damage (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/fighters+risk+brain+damage/2062766/story.html)

The lack of research is even more problematic in the case of mixed martial arts since it is itself such a young sport. But the preliminary evidence suggests that CTE might prove to be a big problem.

Certainly, MMA is not what it once was, or what many people think it still is. In contrast to unsanctioned "toughman" contests -- fights that involved virtually no rules and led to at least a dozen deaths, just in the U.S. -- MMA fights sanctioned by reputable organizations and athletic commissions do have many rules, and involve highly skilled fighters, many of whom have backgrounds in amateur wrestling.

That said, the research suggests that fighters are at significant risk of brain injury. Although very few studies exist, supporters of MMA like to point to a 2006 study in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, which states that "the lower knockout rates in MMA compared to boxing may help prevent brain injury."

This study, which assessed 171 matches in Nevada between 2001 and 2004, did find that the MMA knockout rate (6.4 per cent) was little more than half that of boxing. However, nearly 40 per cent of matches ended with a technical knockout -- and TKOs may involve concussions or be the result of subconcussive blows that can still cause brain injury.

Further, a 2006 article in the British Journal of Sports Medicine assessed 642 matches between 1993 and 2003 and found that head impact was the most common reason for stoppage of the match. Of the 642 matches, 62 ended by knockout and 120 by technical knockout; all knocked-out fighters showed physical signs of concussion.

This suggests that many MMA fighters may suffer brain injuries which, down the road, could lead to CTE. That doesn't necessarily mean that MMA fights shouldn't be sanctioned, of course -- and, indeed, things were much worse when they weren't.

In fact, that reasoning would lead us to ban all contact sports, because all can lead to brain injuries. That would be unfortunate, since there are many benefits that flow from participation in sports, including contact sports. But thanks to the work of Nowinski and the neuroscientists, we can no longer bury our heads in the sand and assume that CTE only happens to other athletes -- to boxers.

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent. ------- Mahatma Gandhi:brickwall:

Texan_Bill
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Doc, the article you posted was both interesting and way above my pay grade..

Just curious, can the brain heal itself over time. I've been concussed more than a couple of times in my life, but not over the last 20+ yrs??

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Doc, the article you posted was both interesting and way above my pay grade..

Just curious, can the brain heal itself over time. I've been concussed more than a couple of times in my life, but not over the last 20+ yrs??

For decades, common scientific thinking was that brain cells do not regenerate. In the late 90's, it was shown that cortical brain cells in a monkey (no relationship implied to you) did regenerate. A few years ago, human cortical brain cells were implanted into mice (again no relational implications). Through these animal experiments, it has been extrapolated that there is at least very limited ability for humans to repair some damaged brain tissue. Brain cell implant research is now being carried out on Alzheimer's patients (again no implications meant).

Bill, look at it this way. You ought to thank G-d everyday you weren't born a woodpecker. :D

Texan_Bill
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
For decades, common scientific thinking was that brain cells do not regenerate. In the late 90's, it was shown that cortical brain cells in a monkey (no relationship implied to you) did regenerate. A few years ago, human cortical brain cells were implanted into mice (again no relational implications). Through these animal experiments, it has been extrapolated that there is at least very limited ability for humans to repair some damaged brain tissue. Brain cell implant research is now being carried out on Alzheimer's patients (again no implications meant).

Bill, look at it this way. You ought to thank G-d everyday you weren't born a woodpecker. :D

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat!!! I have that goin' for me, which is nice!! Thanks for all the references to monkeys, mice, and Alzheimer's, although no "implications" were implied!! :winky:

BTW, I thank G*d everyday!! Especially when I'm reminded that I have friends like you!!!

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Greeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaat!!! I have that goin' for me, which is nice!! Thanks for all the references to monkeys, mice, and Alzheimer's, although no "implications" were implied!! :winky:

BTW, I thank G*d everyday!! Especially when I'm reminded that I have friends like you!!!

I know what you're thinking. With friends like me, who needs enemas?:ahhaha: