PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft redux

Porky
12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
This is Don Banks annual 1st rd draft do-over having taken into account the first 14 weeks.

Seattle Seahawks (Original pick: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest)
RE-DO PICK: BRIAN CUSHING, LB, USC
Curry has been very solid for the Seahawks, but Cushing has been downright spectacular for the Texans and is already one of the league's most effective outside linebackers. He finds the ball consistently, and can rush the passer, play the run, and shows up strong in pass coverage. What else is there? As much as Seattle could have made use of an offensive tackle this year, Cushing has been too good to pass on.

And that ladies and Gents, is how a mid first selection becomes a steal.

Our do-over pick:

Houston Texans (Original pick: Brian Cushing, LB, USC)
RE-DO PICK: JAIRUS BYRD, S, OREGON
Cushing, Matthews and Curry are gone, and James Laurinaitis plays middle linebacker, where the Texans already have DeMeco Ryans. But having to face Peyton Manning and the Colts twice a year, Houston could really use a ball-hawking free safety like Byrd, whose nine interceptions lead the entire NFL, rookies and veterans alike.

Full SI picks here (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/12/15/redraft/index.html)

gtexan02
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Im so glad we didn't jump on the Raji bandwagon.
First round DTs are too hard to predict. They are the picture of inconsistency.

Thorn
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Interesting read there, Porkster. Thanks for posting that. :)

Brian Cushing ROCKS!!!!!!!!!:kingkong:

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't get it. They think we should have given up Cushing for a one-trick pony in Jarius Byrd? I mean... didn't Cushing intercept Manning and bring it back 20 yards?

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I don't get it. They think we should have given up Cushing for a one-trick pony in Jarius Byrd? I mean... didn't Cushing intercept Manning and bring it back 20 yards?

Oh nevermind. I understand now... Cushing was taken at #4 so we would have never had the chance to get him in this redux.

Goatcheese
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
It's hard to take them seriously when they have Vontae Davis as a first rounder, and Derrick Cox as a potential first. They've both been burned up and down the field like Petey Reeves in 2008.

Davis has allowed 698 yards in just 316 plays in coverage.
Cox has allowed 782 yards in just 476 plays in coverage.

That is embarrassingly bad.

Porky
12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh nevermind. I understand now... Cushing was taken at #4 so we would have never had the chance to get him in this redux.

Exactly. This is a what if scenerio/re-do based on actual play. Cushing was gone at #4, so we wouldn't have had the chance at him.

eriadoc
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM

I feel like we've been down that road a couple times.

LonerATO
12-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Byrd of S.Smith would not have been bad picks for the Texans at all and could've used Barwin as an OLB

Texan4Ever
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Not to go off topic, but how about a guy like Ndamukong Suh. I feel like Suh might actually be the best DT to come out in the past 5 years.

Mr. White
12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Can we get a 2007 draft re-do?

YoungTexanFan
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM

I was strongly against him being a first day pick, let alone a first rounder. I was very anti-raji. Pretty much like Allen Branch. Pretty much like Glenn Dorsey. Pretty much like Tyson Jackson.

The only player that springs to mind that I have strongly disliked and have been clearly wrong about is DeSean Jackson. I still don't think he'll be very good when it all shakes out by the time his rookie contract is over, but boy was I wrong about him off the bat.

LonerATO
12-15-2009, 08:56 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/12/06/draft.redo/index.html

TheIronDuke
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Not to go off topic, but how about a guy like Ndamukong Suh. I feel like Suh might actually be the best DT to come out in the past 5 years.

Hmmmm, good point. Now if only the first 10-15 teams before us realize that he's available we might be in position to get him. Considering he's the consensus #1 overall pick in the media I doubt we'll be so lucky.

JMacaroni
12-16-2009, 01:03 AM

Broken record. Yeah he's the "best dl in the last decade" and no we won't get him.

beerlover
12-16-2009, 04:30 AM
its nice to know the Texans nailed this last draft. I think we need to show more patience because clearly they have some idea now what they're doing. The draft is really a group effort with not only input from scouts, but coaches, players & Texans talk fan site board :fingergun:

BigBull17
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM

You never know though. More offten than not, they don't live up to all expectation. I would be very concerned about the number of DT's in rd1 who don't pan out. It's very alarming.

badboy
12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
First round DTs are too hard to predict. They are the picture of inconsistency.Raji was injured. How do you predict that?

swtbound07
12-16-2009, 04:32 PM
its nice to know the Texans nailed this last draft. I think we need to show more patience because clearly they have some idea now what they're doing. The draft is really a group effort with not only input from scouts, but coaches, players & Texans talk fan site board :fingergun:

no, the barwin pick still sucked pretty badly.

disaacks3
12-16-2009, 04:39 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/12/06/draft.redo/index.html

Wow, they moved Okoye up to #4? Wonder if they'd like a redux of their redux?

Goldensilence
12-16-2009, 04:45 PM

Dunno how we exactly nailed the draft. Cushing has definitely been the right pick.

Project player in Barwin after signing a DE to a big contract. Not a fan of the pick as you can tell.

Caldwell was a good pick. Too bad it has taken injuries for him to finally see PT.

Hill?

Casey?

Honestly I'm surprised Quinn and McCain have played as well as they have. Also they kind had to considering we decided to go young with our CBs. Maybe with Jon Hoke gone we'll actually see their level stay the same or improve under Gibbs.

Troy Nolan? Couldn't have been worse then Busing or Barber, too bad injury derailed his season. Still think we could've had Jennings here instead or Canfield.

Perhaps more then anything we finally got a mostly competent defensive staff this year for input. IMO I still think "Smithiak" has a mixed record in the draft.

no, the barwin pick still sucked pretty badly.
Yep.

J_R
12-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Wow, they moved Okoye up to #4? Wonder if they'd like a redux of their redux?

Haha I just saw that too and was thinking the same thing. #4?! :um:

Errant Hothy
12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Half a season does not make or break a draft. As evident by Okoye's redraft position, which was rightfully earned after his first half season.

spurstexanstros
12-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Can we we draft last years second round pick...with all the Rb troubles and all....gosh ..who could have predicted that?

Second Honeymoon
12-16-2009, 06:35 PM

can we get a 2002 draft re-do....please.

J_R
12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
can we get a 2002 draft re-do....please.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/637386.html