PDA

View Full Version : Brice McCain

Big Lou
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Ok, so sorry about starting a new thread but although there were a lot of big plays (and players) against a team on the ropes, and I'll take'em anyway I can get'em. AJ, Schaub, DeMeco, Mario, and Pollard all played like the studs they are and although Brice is not in thier class he deserves a big shout out for these three reasons:

1. Defensed a pass in the end zone against Houshmadilla negating a TD, which eventually led to a take over on downs.

2. On a Punt Return he hauled ass down the field he almost makes a huge stop as soon as the KR caught the ball, but gets knocked away, but even after missis the tackle runs all the way across the field for the stop, and makes up for the missed tackle.

3. And my favorite thing of the day was when he got up in the grill of some big ass Linemans after a play, I can't remember what happened, but he was ready to go toe to toe with a guy with no fear in his eyes. I was pretty impressed.

So I'll call this the "Under the Radar Shout Out Award". Just thought that McCain needed some props.

ChrisG
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
him and foster

DiehardChris
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
He also gave up the TD to Carlson if I'm not mistaken. He had bad positioning on that play.

Still - he's done better than you can expect from a sixth-rounder.

JMacaroni
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
He got in Curry's face after the late hit on Jacoby

Big Lou
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Now I remember, I was thinking it was Curry, but I forgot it was a Special Teams Play.

Also I forgot the Carlson TD, hell he probably could have stopped that TD if he would have just pulled a Dunta and tackled Dunta at the LOS. So I guess the fact he got in a big dude like Curry's face made up for that in my mind.

NitroGSXR
12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
He also gave up the TD to Carlson if I'm not mistaken. He had bad positioning on that play.

Still - he's done better than you can expect from a sixth-rounder.

You know... I was at the game. On at least two plays, I know that McCain lined up on the wrong side and both times Pollard had to get him to move to the other side to cover the completely unattended WR. If Pollard had not been alert to it, we would have seen another Chris Johnson uncovered TD back in week 2. I think McCain has the football skills but he doesn't have the football smarts. All I can tell you people who watched this game on TV... McCain totally owes Benard Pollard his gamecheck for Sunday. Pollard put McCain in position over and over.

NitroGSXR
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Lol. I think that Curry was by far the most intimidating one there. He didn't really get into his face. Just more of saying "hey that's a foul move man" before he knew who it was that was dishing out the punishment.

Hervoyel
12-14-2009, 10:59 PM
McCain looks to me to be cut out perfectly for the position of "New and improved Petey Faggins" and I don't mean that as an insult. He plays well when the field gets shorter and appears to me to be a promising nickel. Probably never be a starter but as long as he isn't pressed into starting constantly the way Faggins was he'll be a real good role player for us. That is as long as he keeps working hard.

mexican_texan
12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Calling him Petey Faggins is an insult. He has the talent, he just needs to learn the scheme a bit better. He covered better than Dunta on some plays.

Goldensilence
12-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Calling him Petey Faggins is an insult. He has the talent, he just needs to learn the scheme a bit better. He covered better than Dunta on some plays.

I think its an apt comparison. Faggins wasn't bad for what his original role was supposed to be, which was a nickelback.

I think McCain definitely has better top end speed then Faggins,but Herv is right I don't think we'll see him transform into a starter anytime soon. I just hope he's not pressed into the role.

I do think both Quinn and McCain will allow us to drop Bennett next season if we choose to, We'll still likely have to draft another starting CB though in the first round. At least we'll be able to drop Dunta next year.

TimeKiller
12-15-2009, 07:40 AM
As long as no one expects him to start I think he'll be molded into a fine nickel back. His speed is crazy

TEXANS84
12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
He's representing the "U" very well!

Utah that is.

Very impressed by his play in the redzone last week. You can see that his rookie curve is going up, he's learned more as the season progressed.

Yankee_In_TX
12-15-2009, 11:49 AM
You know... I was at the game. On at least two plays, I know that McCain lined up on the wrong side and both times Pollard had to get him to move to the other side to cover the completely unattended WR. If Pollard had not been alert to it, we would have seen another Chris Johnson uncovered TD back in week 2. I think McCain has the football skills but he doesn't have the football smarts. All I can tell you people who watched this game on TV... McCain totally owes Benard Pollard his gamecheck for Sunday. Pollard put McCain in position over and over.

And people keep telling me I'm crazy for wanting a Pollard jersey...

BigBull17
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I think McCain is a pretty good find in the 6th. Solid nickle. Quinn looks like a steal to me. Drop Dumbta and Bennett, draft a stud, we should be ok.

Vinny
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Lol. I think that Curry was by far the most intimidating one there. He didn't really get into his face. Just more of saying "hey that's a foul move man" before he knew who it was that was dishing out the punishment. I thought Curry jawed alot in the game but didn't do much. He's the anti-Cushing.

texan9885
12-15-2009, 01:04 PM

I saw the same thing, he seemed to be sprinting to the other side of the ball alot right before the snap, it made me think he was a really slow learner.

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I thought Curry jawed alot in the game but didn't do much. He's the anti-Cushing.

I don't think he did much either but McCain looked like that he immediately backed off when Curry responded to him.

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
And people keep telling me I'm crazy for wanting a Pollard jersey...

He's having a helluva contract year since coming to Houston. Makes me think that we'll have stiff competition for his services after the season. I'd hold up on the jersey aspirations until he inks something with the Texans unless you're just a fan of the player... not necessarily his uniform. He could very well be elsewhere.

Brisco_County
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

He did intercept Peyton Manning by jumping the route from behind the receiver.

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
He did intercept Peyton Manning by jumping the route from behind the receiver.

DeMarcus Faggins made good plays here and there. Would you want him back on the team?

I still don't know who exactly blew the assignment on the Chris Johnson passing TD but I think McCain was on the field at the time. Seeing Pollard correct McCain before the snap over and over on Sunday made me think about that play back in week 2. If McCain needs help like that on a regular basis then I really don't want much to do with him.

I do think he has played well for the most part but I now believe that has more to do with Benard Pollard than anything else.

Brisco_County
12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
DeMarcus Faggins made good plays here and there. Would you want him back on the team?

I still don't know who exactly blew the assignment on the Chris Johnson passing TD but I think McCain was on the field at the time. Seeing Pollard correct McCain before the snap over and over on Sunday made me think about that play back in week 2. If McCain needs help like that on a regular basis then I really don't want much to do with him.

I do think he has played well for the most part but I now believe that has more to do with Benard Pollard than anything else.

The learning curve has to be taken into account. His value will be assessed more accurately next year.

Given his physical ability, he has the potential to be a ball hawk, but that requires the kind of personality that is motivated to study the game.

NitroGSXR
12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
The learning curve has to be taken into account. His value will be assessed more accurately next year.

Given his physical ability, he has the potential to be a ball hawk, but that requires the kind of personality that is motivated to study the game.

He's also been thrown into the starting lineup pretty quick. Not too many 6th rounders started all preseason games as well as the first three. I agree. It's too early to make a statement on him but damn... you can't routinely be leaving players completely unguarded.

Brisco_County
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
He's also been thrown into the starting lineup pretty quick. Not too many 6th rounders started all preseason games as well as the first three. I agree. It's too early to make a statement on him but damn... you can't routinely be leaving players completely unguarded.

Speaking of starting new CB's, are we ever going to see Antuan Molden on defense?

mexican_texan
12-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Speaking of starting new CB's, are we ever going to see Antuan Molden on defense?
He has to get healthy soon.