PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Mario?

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Seems like he's coming on in the pass rush... 3 games in a row with a sack and his first multi sack game of the year today.

Is it because he's getting healthy or do any of you DL gurus see anything different that the coaches are doing with him? I liked the playcall on the 2nd sack.

JB
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Seems like he's coming on in the pass rush... 3 games in a row with a sack and his first multi sack game of the year today.

Is it because he's getting healthy or do any of you DL gurus see anything different that the coaches are doing with him? I liked the playcall on the 2nd sack.

Yes, that was nice. Should see more of that

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM

It was nice to see a play for him to go up the gut instead of just speed rushing the outside every time.

Spled
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
He's up to 8 now.

gary
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Is it because he's getting healthy or do any of you DL gurus see anything different that the coaches are doing with him? I liked the playcall on the 2nd sack.I say it's some of everything.

kastofsna
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
sacks are an overrated stat.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
I haven't even seen the game yet, but I'll just bet we're getting better pressure up the middle. It's called killer instinct, and we tend to get it when WE are already dead. It has occurred to me before that we need to stop asking our DTs to get around linemen to get to the QB (effectively making them chase our DEs around the outside) and just tell them shove the sons of guns on top of him. Doing it the simple way tends to help our LBs land on the QB more often too, instead of running right into the O-lineman chasing our crazy DTs around the outside.

PS-This is football. Grow some balls!

brakos82
12-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Not to mention we were playing a pretty-banged up Seattle team.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Not to mention we were playing a pretty-banged up Seattle team.

Well, that would help too. :gun:

Maddict5
12-13-2009, 05:14 PM
i thought he seemed pretty fired up for the game today, moreso than ive noticed all season

Goatcheese
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
sacks are an overrated stat.

He also has around 30 QB pressures and 20 QB hits.

edo783
12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I suspect he is feeling better, but that may just be due to more/better pharmaceuticals. I would not be surprised at all to see him get some sort of shoulder procedure in the off season.

gafftop
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Just don't think his motor runs all the time. Had the same problem in college. Great physical specimen but not a great football player. Is good just because of his physical gifts, not natural football instincts or heart. Is he injured or do the Texans just say that so the fans will not crucify him and they have an excuse for his average play. If he is hurt then he is injury prone. Just my opinion. I am in a bad mood today

alphajoker
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
He also has around 30 QB pressures and 20 QB hits.

Too bad it hasn't gotten him more sacks.

Runner
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM

The Seahawks have a very bad offensive line. It was good to see the defense take advantage of it, but that o-line's poor play must be considered when evaluating the big d-line improvement.

eriadoc
12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Just don't think his motor runs all the time. Had the same problem in college. Great physical specimen but not a great football player. Is good just because of his physical gifts, not natural football instincts or heart. Is he injured or do the Texans just say that so the fans will not crucify him and they have an excuse for his average play. If he is hurt then he is injury prone. Just my opinion. I am in a bad mood today

His motor's fine. It's his shoulder that's not fine. And he's playing through it because we don't have another player that can rack up 30 pressures, 20 QB hits, and 8 sacks even while healthy, much less banged up like Mario is.

Some folks need to step back from the ledge and rethink where to direct their ire, IMO.

The Third Man
12-13-2009, 08:40 PM

You are wrong. I bet you never watched him college and you haven't been paying attention this year. His motor is fine. Question his lack of technique to assist his ungodly speed and power, but I have never seen him dog it out there. He doesn't take plays off.

rmartin65
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
He's up to 8 now.

Damn, that snuck up on me.

Vinny
12-13-2009, 08:43 PM
You are wrong. I bet you never watched him college and you haven't been paying attention this year. His motor is fine. Question his lack of technique to assist his ungodly speed and power, but I have never seen him dog it out there. He doesn't take plays off.
I just retweeted this quote from Mario and he kinda implies that he takes plays off.
JeromeSolomon

Mario Williams: I don’t want another coach here. I love Kubiak to death .. I need to give a better effort. Not just for myself, but for him

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Reading the postgame quotes I got the impression that Mario is having personal troubles in addition to injury troubles this year:

Texans DE Mario Williams
(on how he felt about his play today) "It's just going out and playing hard. There's been a lot of adversity here not just with the team, especially with myself. I've just got to play harder and just keep trying to push it and that's pretty much it."

(on what kind of adversity he has had) "That's classified."

(on how they deal with talk about if head coach Gary Kubiak should lose his job) "I don't want another coach here. I love Kubiak to death. We had a long talk this week, me and him personally. It meant a lot, the things he said to me and the way he came at me. He basically told me I need to play better. Right now, everybody is under a microscope, but if you look at it, there are some things that might've been iffy, but at the end of the day, it's the players that play and it's us that need to be accountable. Myself, I need to give a better effort. Not just for myself, but for him. I think Kubiak is a great coach. I definitely don't want to see anything different here. With that being said, I have to play harder to try and keep everyone intact, everybody together. It's late right now, but it's better now than never. Every day that you go out there now, you know you've got to give it up for the coach and for everybody else on the team."

(on if it was unusual for them to sit down and talk) "It was unusual because we talked about a lot of things, not just football—life. It meant a lot to me. He knew it meant a lot to me. Like I said, it's just a lot of energy that the players have to show on the field that we have to take care of. A lot of times, obviously the first person you blame is the coach. He always takes the responsibility, but it doesn't seem fair that way. Eventually, it's going to come down to us, if we want to have somebody different, what are they going to say then if the same things happen? So we have to take ownership and play better."

I'm sure the story will eventually come out in the offseason. I could be wrong but I get the impression there is something going on in his personal life that is effecting his play on the field other than a bum shoulder. Why else would Kubiak have a talk with him about life?

The Third Man
12-13-2009, 09:21 PM
I just retweeted this quote from Mario and he kinda implies that he takes plays off.

It could also be read as wanting better results. I just don't see him dogging it out there. It has been frustrating to see him *just miss* another 10 sacks this year, but I see a defensive end playing the run exceptionally well, get a lot of consistent pressure on the quarterback and fight through a bum shoulder. *Shrug*

GP
12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Wait until we play the Rams next week.

I watched them play the Titans. The Rams are the worst team in the league.

Hands down. Without a doubt. They are THAT bad.

Every pass route, except for 4 or 5, were quick slants or shallow crossing patterns. Steven Jackson is hurt. Richie Icognito is a basket case, got two 15-yarders for unsportsmanlike conduct AND was benched for the rest of the game.

I think we can get 6 sacks and at least 3 interceptions.

GP
12-13-2009, 09:31 PM

You seem to see different things than the rest of us.

Did you build your own TV? If so, junk it and buy a real one.

Vinny is sort of like one of the best, most "In the know" guys on this board.

TexansFanatic
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM

I watched him giving a short speech in the locker room directly after one of their wins last season.

He thanked his teammates for staying on his case.

It's nice that he appreciates words of encouragement, but the fact that he seems aware of his need of that kind of thing is not the sign of a self-starter, or a high-motor guy.

TexanBacker93
12-14-2009, 12:50 AM

It doesn't necessarily mean he takes plays off. At least that's my interpretation. I've never seen him Randy Moss it out there. Maybe he doesn't go balls out every play, but there are few guys out there who give 100% every play. Maybe that is a form of taking plays off. I don't know.

utahmark
12-14-2009, 12:59 AM
just like a lot of our players and coaches. he needs to play better in the games that matter. jmho.

BigBull17
12-14-2009, 09:17 AM

I think he has pretty good instincts. He does well on adjusting to screens and draws and the like. He does take a few plays off, but I think we should get him a little rest through out the game. He never leaves the field. I'd rather see him go 100% for 75% of the game than 75% of 100% of the game.

Vinny
12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
It doesn't necessarily mean he takes plays off. At least that's my interpretation. I've never seen him Randy Moss it out there. Maybe he doesn't go balls out every play, but there are few guys out there who give 100% every play. Maybe that is a form of taking plays off. I don't know.
earlier in the year there were accusations from within the team that our first round dlinemen didn't give it their all. Combine that quote with this current batch of Mario quotes and you don't have to be Einstein to read between the lines. Looks to me that he is a little contrite. Kubiak obviously begged him to pick up his level of play because it is part of the reason his job was on the line. If your superstars don't play like superstars, this league will eat you up with mediocrity.

Honoring Earl 34
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
earlier in the year there were accusations from within the team that our first round dlinemen didn't give it their all. Combine that quote with this current batch of Mario quotes and you don't have to be Einstein to read between the lines. Looks to me that he is a little contrite. Kubiak obviously begged him to pick up his level of play because it is part of the reason his job was on the line. If your superstars don't play like superstars, this league will eat you up with mediocrity.

That's always been the knock on Mario . That's also the difference between him and Jared Allen .

I think Mario needs someone like Demeco got in Cushing . A football loving fiend who lives and breathes it . Just my two cents .

GP
12-14-2009, 11:03 AM
That's always been the knock on Mario . That's also the difference between him and Jared Allen .

I think Mario needs someone like Demeco got in Cushing . A football loving fiend who lives and breathes it . Just my two cents .

What if we had sent Mario to the Chiefs somehow, for Allen?

Can you guys imagine DeMeco, Cushing, Allen, and Pollard in this defense?

Mario might be heading for a rude awakening some day.

chicagotexan2
12-14-2009, 11:05 AM
just like a lot of our players and coaches. he needs to play better in the games that matter. jmho.

So true. I know he shoulder is hurting but at times he simply disappears. We have an entire line that can do that. He needs to go hard all the time.

Grams
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Doesn't Allen play for the Vikings now?

GP
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Doesn't Allen play for the Vikings now?

Yes.

I meant that the Chiefs didn't want to retain Allen since he was asking for bigger money. I don't know that the Chiefs were after a current player, in return for Allen, since I think their purpose was to get more draft picks and shed his potential higher salary that he requested.

However, I was saying "What if we had found a way to move Mario to the Chiefs in return for Allen?" But you know what, it wouldn't happen since I think the Chiefs were more about shedding the salary and getting more picks.

When I say that Mario might be heading for a rude awakening, I mean that the guy needs to play with urgency or he might be traded or let go. He's not making the kind of impact that he's capable of producing.

But Bob wouldn't do that. He wouldn't let him go. Our owner has proven that he can't let go of things that have sentimental value.

Second Honeymoon
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
thanks gary, for waiting till week 14 to call out a player's effort level. good job in waiting till the season was already lost and over to start actually coaching....

....its been painfully obvious that Mario has stunk things up till lately but God forbid someone coach or inspire someone on the team.

Gary, you are such a great coach when there is nothing left to play for. You are a God amongst men.

Congratulations on another non-winning season. Anyone who thinks we will win out must not be really smart and must not have been watching this team the last 8 years Now that there is a glimmer of hope for the playoffs it will be time to play Kubiak-Ball again...in other words, playing scared like a puss and losing any game that matters at all.

MannyFresh
12-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Hmmm, what are they're contract status' right now? Iron is hot.

TheRealJoker
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes.

I meant that the Chiefs didn't want to retain Allen since he was asking for bigger money. I don't know that the Chiefs were after a current player, in return for Allen, since I think their purpose was to get more draft picks and shed his potential higher salary that he requested.

However, I was saying "What if we had found a way to move Mario to the Chiefs in return for Allen?" But you know what, it wouldn't happen since I think the Chiefs were more about shedding the salary and getting more picks.

When I say that Mario might be heading for a rude awakening, I mean that the guy needs to play with urgency or he might be traded or let go. He's not making the kind of impact that he's capable of producing.

But Bob wouldn't do that. He wouldn't let him go. Our owner has proven that he can't let go of things that have sentimental value.

As long as he makes 10+ sacks a year and gets pressure he's not going anywhere. A lot of people are overlooking the Williams wall out there in Vikingland who are a huge factor in Allen's success.

Could Mario be doing better? I sure hope so.

Will he be doing better if we got him a legitimate partner in crime to push the pocket instead of Amobi? I am confident he would.

AnthonyE
12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
He's up to 8 now.

I had no idea it was 8 already. He's quietly having a pretty decent season. With 3 games left, one against a team with a horrific offensive line, I think he should get his usual 10+ sacks.

TimeKiller
12-15-2009, 10:59 AM
As long as he makes 10+ sacks a year and gets pressure he's not going anywhere. A lot of people are overlooking the Williams wall out there in Vikingland who are a huge factor in Allen's success.

Not to discount the Williams Bros. but Jared Allen was doing alright before he went to Minny. Just saying...

I had no idea it was 8 already. He's quietly having a pretty decent season. With 3 games left, one against a team with a horrific offensive line, I think he should get his usual 10+ sacks.

Quietly having a decent season for a 6'7'' 290 lbs beast who was the 1st overall pick and in his 4th season aka PRIMETIME is a failure. He should be loudly having a monster season.

It seems like Mario is putting some blame on himself, so I salute players with enough balls to have accountability in the locker room (if not on the field). I'm kind of wondering if Kollar is really an answer here. Mario isn't playing hard, Amobi Okoye regularly falls short of his draft status, Smith is playing hard but had the incident in preseason, Cody, Okam, Deljuan haven't made a single step forward, Bulman got washed completely out and I guess Barwin is doing fine but I'm sure everyone is itching to see more out of him. I'm seeing like 1.5 successes at most and 6 fails. This DLine should be one of the best in football.

nero THE zero
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
It's pretty disingenuous to blame Kollar for Amobi's inherent ineptitude, IMO

noxiousdog
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Quietly having a decent season for a 6'7'' 290 lbs beast who was the 1st overall pick and in his 4th season aka PRIMETIME is a failure. He should be loudly having a monster season.

Which guys have had 'monster seasons' every year?

Mario is likely to hit double digit sacks again with 2 more needed this year. He has 34 over the last 3 years already.

Other defensive lineman with possible 3 consecutive double digit years and total sacks:
Jared Allen (42.5) - already qualifies
Justin Tuck (26.5) - needs 5.5 sacks over the last 3 games.

That's it. That's the list.

He's not Jared Allen, but that's hardly a mark of 'failure.'