PDA

View Full Version : We need a franchise RB

m5kwatts
12-13-2009, 04:16 PM
This team needs a horse who can be counted on to carry 20+ times a game. I don't know if it should be done through the draft (Gerhart, Spiller, Dwyer) or free agency but it needs to be addressed

Slaton needs to re-prove himself yes, but I think he's atleast a good 3rd down back and can be relied on to be a 2nd back in a tandem

Moats and Foster are depth at best

Chris Brown obviously needs to go

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I think we need better O-Lineman before we worry about our back. Between Slaton, Moats and Foster I think we have guys who can get the job done.

TexansFight
12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I think we need better O-Lineman before we worry about our back. Between Slaton, Moats and Foster I think we have guys who can get the job done.

While I think we should improve our O-Line (I want Chris Myers gone immediately), I could not disagree with you more. We need to draft a franchise RB. The "braintrust" does not put value on RBs and Safetys. That is one of many reasons why they need to go.

bah007
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Unless we upgrade the interior o line we aren't going to improve very much in the running game.

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Gerhart :)

TexanSam
12-13-2009, 04:24 PM
While I think we should improve our O-Line (I want Chris Myers gone immediately), I could not disagree with you more. We need to draft a franchise RB. The "braintrust" does not put value on RBs and Safetys. That is one of many reasons why they need to go.

Well, you can't blame Smith and Kubiak for not drafting a RB this past year. We had Slaton coming off a fantastic year and who, by the looks of it, seemed to be that franchise back we'd been missing. Who knows, maybe he still can be

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM

I just don't think there is any use in drafting a "franchise" back before we address our O-line issues. I would rather stick with what we have, work towards improving our line, and then go after a good back.

eriadoc
12-13-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm sort of being facetious, but I'd almost like to see them draft nothing but secondary, OL, and RB this year.

HJam72
Hmmmmmmm...

Is it the O-line...or the QB, I mean RB, David, ooops, I mean Steve Slaton?

I KNOW we need a FS, and I'm saying it for like the trillionth time. Bet we need a RB too.................I just bet. That and some slim fast for our body-type confused, supposed-to-b-our-starter RB.

Thorn
I just don't think there is any use in drafting a "franchise" back before we address our O-line issues. I would rather stick with what we have, work towards improving our line, and then go after a good back.

My thoughts as well.

Spled
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Foster's audition went well.

sometexansfan
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm sort of being facetious, but I'd almost like to see them draft nothing but secondary, OL, and RB this year.

Don't forget a run stuffing DT.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
2 do list:

1) Get a *(()^ing FS!!!

2) Get rid of our HC. Let him play chess on actual chess boards.

3) Shop at Get-A-Center!

4) Tell Slaton he is fat. Get his wife or girl to tell him it makes his thing look small. Whatever....just make him lose weight.

5) Definitely consider getting a franchise back anyway. We can always use both or trade one when they both start lighting up the NFL.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Don't forget a run stuffing DT.

I would agree, but it seems they've been doing that lately. Funny how that works when the playoff chase is over.

I take that back. It's NOT funny.

TexansSeminole
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM

Why can't we do both? It doesn't even need to be a franchise back just a solid running back. What we have now is below average.

It doesn't matter anyway, this staff has shown that they will stick with a weak oline and trot out below average running backs every year. They got lucky with Slaton last year. What exactly was the plan that year anyway? Ajman Green was supposed to be our #1?

This staff has never put an emphasis on the running game, personnel or play calling. I don't expect it to change ever. We are the team that lives, and usually dies with the passing game.

Is it any wonder why nobody feels comfortable when the Texans have a lead.

ArlingtonTexan
12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Considering the way the NFL works now, probably not as much as it seems at the moment.

Texanmike02
12-13-2009, 04:36 PM
This team needs a horse who can be counted on to carry 20+ times a game. I don't know if it should be done through the draft (Gerhart, Spiller, Dwyer) or free agency but it needs to be addressed

Slaton needs to re-prove himself yes, but I think he's atleast a good 3rd down back and can be relied on to be a 2nd back in a tandem

Moats and Foster are depth at best

Chris Brown obviously needs to go

signed,
the last 7 sb winners

sometexansfan
12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I would agree, but it seems they've been doing that lately. Funny how that works when the playoff chase is over.

I take that back. It's NOT funny.

Agreed with the not funny part. However, I don't want to go into next season relying on guys like Cody, Zgonina, and whoever else we throw out there. Except for Dejuan, he's fine.

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Why can't we do both? It doesn't even need to be a franchise back just a solid running back. What we have now is below average.

It doesn't matter anyway, this staff has shown that they will stick with a weak oline and trot out below average running backs every year. They got lucky with Slaton last year. What exactly was the plan that year anyway? Ajman Green was supposed to be our #1?

This staff has never put an emphasis on the running game, personnel or play calling. I don't expect it to change ever. We are the team that lives, and usually dies with the passing game.

Is it any wonder why nobody feels comfortable when the Texans have a lead.

I would just hate to see us bring in a great back and watch 3 of his 5 good years go to waste because there are no holes for him. Everybody knows that a RB's career is short, and I would rather have at least an average O-Line in place before using a high pick on a back.

TexansSeminole
12-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I would just hate to see us bring in a great back and watch 3 of his 5 good years go to waste because there are no holes for him. Everybody knows that a RB's career is short, and I would rather have at least an average O-Line in place before using a high pick on a back.

I agree with you, but it isn't like we need to spend 1st rounders every year on the Oline to get it in better condition. We figured that out when we tried to do that with the Dline, that still needs help to this day.

Go after someone in FA, draft a guy or two. First order of business is having Caldwell play center. I am not a big fan of Eric Winston, I think a big RT would do wonders for our running game.

Just a couple of changes can get this oline to play decent. Right now they are just barely above average at pass protection, and absolutely horrid at run blocking.

I really don't think we put an emphasis on the running game. Myers is really not too bad of a pass blocker, same goes for Winston. They aren't great but they get the job done. But run blocking, they are just bad. I have seen this for years and we have not even tried to make a change.

This staff will continue to trot this OLine out there, so if you want to change the offensive line your going to need to replace the staff.

m5kwatts
12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Just ignore the trolls and let the mods do their job.

I think improving the interior line is a given. But that can be done in the mid rounds of the draft or in free agency. I started the thread to say we need to get a reliable starting back that can do it all and carry it 20+ a game. I understand this is tough to find but the offense needs it. Imagine how much better Schaub could even be with a running game.

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree with you, but it isn't like we need to spend 1st rounders every year on the Oline to get it in better condition. We figured that out when we tried to do that with the Dline, that still needs help to this day.

Go after someone in FA, draft a guy or two. First order of business is having Caldwell play center. I am not a big fan of Eric Winston, I think a big RT would do wonders for our running game.

Just a couple of changes can get this oline to play decent. Right now they are just barely above average at pass protection, and absolutely horrid at run blocking.

I really don't think we put an emphasis on the running game. Myers is really not too bad of a pass blocker, same goes for Winston. They aren't great but they get the job done. But run blocking, they are just bad. I have seen this for years and we have not even tried to make a change.

This staff will continue to trot this OLine out there, so if you want to change the offensive line your going to need to replace the staff.

This is very true. Unfortunately I think it is also true as far as getting a big name back.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 04:55 PM
1st round RB,

2nd round FS,

3rd round Center?

How does that sound? 3rd round get us a good enough center?

Khari
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
somebody in this thread is angy

Nawzer
12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
1. O-line

2. Runningback

3. Cornerback.

That's how I would prioritize the Texans offseason. We can draft a runningback high and sign some good FA o-linesman. I think both of those things can be done in one offseason.

m5kwatts
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Take what the draft gives you. We shouldn't go into any round thinking a position. Take the best player, its a deep draft.

TexCanada
12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Take what the draft gives you. We shouldn't go into any round thinking a position. Take the best player, its a deep draft.

Exactly, we still have a few holes to fill, take the best guy. We could use an upgrade at DT, FS, CB, RB or O-Line.

LonerATO
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM
signed,
the last 7 sb winners

Actually the Steelers won with Ben's arm last year