PDA

View Full Version : playoffs more possible than you might think

Pages : [1] 2 3

barrett
12-12-2009, 03:23 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/12/texans_playoffs_1.html

This is the math and I can cook these number, can you?

Texans in the playoffs? Oh, it's possible, and here's how:

* I guess it should go without saying that the Texans have to win 'em all and finish 9-7.

* Titans (5-7) - Let's erase the Titans first. They need to lose just one game.

* Dolphins (6-6) - Need to lose one game (plus loss to Texans). Beating Jags this week would be good thing too.

* Jets - Need to lose any two games (Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Indy and Cincinnati).

* Ravens - Need to lose any two games (Detroit, Chicago, at Pitt and at Oakland).

* Steelers - Need one more loss (Green Bay, Baltimore and at Miami).

* Jacksonville - Need to lose three of last four games, which isn't unlikely considering they host Miami, Indy the next two weeks, and finish at New England and at Cleveland. This is the only one that calls for a fold, and it wouldn't be that way had the Texans not given them two victories.

Khari
12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
y do people still want to go to the playoffs.....just to be out in the first round? this team can't handle it yet.....

hookinreds
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
That's all? Sounds simple enough!

Scooter
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
win out and hope jacksonville collapses. well, the second part wouldnt surprise anyone, and we've finished the last couple of seasons on a tear. i dont see it all falling into place, but if we do our jobs we're still in the hunt.

Scooter
12-12-2009, 03:36 PM
y do people still want to go to the playoffs.....just to be out in the first round? this team can't handle it yet.....

similar to arizona last season, i think we're more dangerous in the playoffs than during the regular season. if defending larry fitzgerald was a nightmare with double coverage, trying to guard andre in his first playoff appearance with half of the opposing team would be an effort in futility - and what he'd do might be a felony in most states.

mussop
12-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I jsut wonder if we somehow miraculoulsy made the playoffs how Kubiak would be able to coach the team with his back turned the whole game. :bender:

barrett
12-12-2009, 04:01 PM
::yawn::

Texans_Chick
12-12-2009, 04:25 PM
This site (http://files.nfl-forecast.com/archives/88) suggests that the Texans have a .38 chance of going to the playoffs.

m5kwatts
12-12-2009, 04:25 PM

This team can beat any team any given day and lose to any team any given day... the Texans dominated the Bengals in Cincy remember? The last team anyone would wanna face in the playoffs would be the Texans. THAT is why this team is so damn frustrating and why it needs a new head coach who can get the team to play the way they're capable of ALL THE TIME (or atleast consistently)

brakos82
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
This site (http://files.nfl-forecast.com/archives/88) suggests that the Texans have a .38 chance of going to the playoffs.

That's 0.38%, as in 0.0038 :kitten:

mussop
12-12-2009, 04:35 PM
this team can beat any team any given day and lose to any team any given day... The texans dominated the bengals in cincy remember? The last team anyone would wanna face in the playoffs would be the texans. That is why this team is so damn frustrating and why it needs a new head coach who can get the team to play the way they're capable of all the time (or atleast consistently)

here here!!!!!

Speedy
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM

One thing you left out, the TEXANS need to win football games. That's the unlikely part.

Goldensilence
12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I suppose I should point out the begining qualifier that they have to win out.

Gark Kubiak getting into the playoffs would be the equivalent of getting a prostitute for the Jonas Brothers for their birthday. Neither would know what to do.

m5kwatts
12-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I suppose I should point out the begining qualifier that they have to win out.

Gark Kubiak getting into the playoffs would be the equivalent of getting a prostitute for the Jonas Brothers for their birthday. Neither would know what to do.

Ha! Nice burn

Leahmic223
12-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Seeing as how all of our games are important now, can't lose a game...to get into the playoffs and win out would be a great thing and i'd LOVE to see it...

But looking at our recent history of playing games that matter...we always lose. So the Seahawks 2morrow, i'm almost counting on some heartbreaking loss and reading the forums 2morrow "....Can we get rid of Brown?" threads.

mussop
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
This reminds me of that line in Dumb and Dumber.

Dumb - What are the chances in a girl like you going out wiht a guy like me?
Girl - about one in a million.
slight pause
Dumb - So your saying theres a chance?!

TheRealJoker
12-12-2009, 05:11 PM
When Pitts and Brisiel went down, this offense's potential made me nervous.

When OD went down I lost hope that this offense could carry the team any longer.

Now that Slaton is down we've lost any opportunity for big plays from the RB position. Moats has the speed to provide it but Kubiak is infatuated with Brown and will not give him the opportunity.

Its gonna take a miracle to win 4 in a row without OD, Slaton, and with the worst starting interior OL in the league.

Defenses are gonna get a lot more focused on AJ. We'll find out if Jacoby, Walter, Anderson, and maybe one of the TEs can pick up the slack.

Texecutioner
12-12-2009, 05:18 PM

:spit: Rep to you my friend.

Texecutioner
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
This reminds me of that line in Dumb and Dumber.

Dumb - What are the chances in a girl like you going out wiht a guy like me?
Girl - about one in a million.
slight pause
Dumb - So your saying theres a chance?!

:spit: I'll rep you as well if it will let me.

gary
12-12-2009, 05:27 PM
They have as much of a chance of making the playoffs as Tracy seeing the court again in a Rockets uni.

Lucky
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
That's a 263-1 shot at the playoffs. So barrett is right. Those are odds are slightly better than the no-chance-in-hell shot I was giving the Texans.

The Texans aren't a playoff team. They wet themselves when a good team lines across them. They don't have a playoff coach. He hides his eyes like a toddler during the tense moments of games. Guess what? A playoff game is one long intense moment. How can Kubiak coach an entire game with his eyes closed?

This thread is as ridiculous as the preseason threads spouting that that 2009 wasn't a must win season...just a must improve season. Time to remind myself of the Sunshine Club's 10 Commandments:
The Sunshine Club's Ten Commandments

Thou shalt not use Coach Kubiak's name in vain.
Thou shalt not worship head coaches other than Coach Kubiak (even Bill Cowher).
Honor your father and mother. And Coach Kubiak.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against Coach Kubiak.
Or tell the truth, if it happens to make Coach Kubiak look bad.
Thou shalt celebrate Texans first downs.
Thou shalt blame all Texans losses on the evil minions Sage Rosenfels and Richard Smith.
Thou shalt believe that going from 8-8 to 8-8 indicates improvement.
Thou shalt proclaim to the heavens, “The Texans have the #3 offense!”.
Thou shalt not covet the playoffs.

Commandment #7 can be edited to include Kris Brown and Chris Brown. Commandment #9 could be changed to top 10 offense. As long as we aren't talking about points scored, or anything trivial like that.

Finally, let me apologize to any toddlers out there who may have been offended by my remarks. I realize that most of you are much braver in the heat of battle than the Texans head coach.

wolf123
12-12-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm still gonna belive and root for my texans no matter what the odds are.

Mr. White
12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Commandment #7 can be edited to include Kris Brown and Chris Brown.

Don't forget about the officiating.

axman40
12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Damnit Spock enough with your damn logic!
:kitten:

awtysst
12-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Ok, lets really look at the math. Lets say each game is a 50:50 shot ie you win or you lose.

so for the Texans to win all 4 games is 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5 X 0.5=.0625
So the probability that the Texans sweep is mathematically 6.25%.

So before we even begin to look at the other teams it is already a 6.25% chance to make the playoffs. Of course this number is slightly generous because technically games can end in ties, but I took that out since they are so rare.

Now back to the other teams:
1) Tennessee: we need at least 1 loss and that is mathematically probable: .9375

2) Steelers: same as Titans: .9375

3) Dolphins: at least two would be .6875

4) Jets: same as dolphins: .6875

5) Ravens: same as dophins: .6875

6) Jags: mathemtically this is much tougher: .3125

So, all of these numbers are ISOLATED instances. So the probability that all of this happens is .00578 or a 0.6% chance happening.

So the Texans have a 0.56% chance of making the playoffs at this juncture of the season.

hookinreds
12-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok, lets really look at the math. Lets say each game is a 50:50 shot ie you win or you lose.

So before we even begin to look at the other teams it is already a 6.25% chance to make the playoffs. Of course this number is slightly generous because technically games can end in ties, but I took that out since they are so rare.

1) Tennessee: we need at least 1 loss and that is mathematically probable: .9375

So, all of these numbers are ISOLATED instances. So the probability that all of this happens is .00578 or a 0.6% chance happening.

So the Texans have a 0.6% chance of making the playoffs at this juncture of the season.

Ok Scrooge!

mussop
12-12-2009, 10:34 PM

So the Texans have a 0.6% chance of making the playoffs at this juncture of the season.

So your saying theres a chance?

awtysst
12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Ok Scrooge!

I made a rounding error, its actually 0.56%!

awtysst
12-12-2009, 10:36 PM
So your saying theres a chance?

SLight rounding error: but its 0.56. But yeah 0.56%>0%

Hervoyel
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry, we aren't winning tomorrow. No way in hell. I passed on going to this game to stay home and hang Christmas lights because I've got a better chance of seeing Santa Claus squeeze his fat ass down my chimney than I do of seeing the Texans finish this season with even a .500 record. Seeing them make the playoffs would be tantamount to watching flying reindeer land on my lawn.

Sorry guys, enjoy the last few weeks of football though. I don't mean to be a total grinch. Hopefully somebody will emerge over the last month of the season who we can look forward to seeing next year. I'd like to see what Foster or Henry could do. That would be nice even if it only ruled them out completely. I'm tired of watching Chris Brown. I know he's been effective at times but I swear I've seen this guy run before. He's like a highly motivated Jonathan Wells. Big, upright, not all that fast, and you never, ever expect him to break a long one.

Norg
12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
man Jax has a easy sechudle it will be hard but iam sure they can do it

If JAX vs MIA this is a iffy iam not to sure who will win this

Call me crazy but i think JAXS have a shot and taking down indy

they might lose to NE but iam sure they will handle the browns

Norg
12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
i think we can take the hawks at home come on now

dalemurphy
12-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm sorry, we aren't winning tomorrow. No way in hell. .

Supposedly I'm an unrealistic fan because I see some progress in the club and am hesitant to fire the coach without a replacement in place. For that, I'm accused of not being realistic.

Where are these harbingers of realism and pragmatism when Hervoyel make a ridiculous statement like that?

Hervoyel (or anyone else that believes this), if you've got the guts, PM me and we can talk about a wager!

TimeKiller
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
The easiest thing to do would've been to not go 1-5 in division...

Hervoyel
12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Supposedly I'm an unrealistic fan because I see some progress in the club and am hesitant to fire the coach without a replacement in place. For that, I'm accused of not being realistic.

Where are these harbingers of realism and pragmatism when Hervoyel make a ridiculous statement like that?

Hervoyel (or anyone else that believes this), if you've got the guts, PM me and we can talk about a wager!

Look, that's what I think will happen. I don't think the Texans could possibly come out of this game with a win and I don't have to defend that opinion to you or anyone else. Their entire 2009 season thus far is what I base that on. If you think it's a ridiculous statement I could not care less about that. If you think that the team is making progress and that Kubiak should get another season I again could not care less.

Message board, filled with opinions, guts don't factor into this in the least.

DexmanC
12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Caldwell is STARTING!!!

It's about DAMN TIME!!

Buffi2
12-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I passed on going to this game to stay home and hang Christmas lights because I've got a better chance of seeing Santa Claus squeeze his fat ass down my chimney than I do of seeing the Texans finish this season with even a .500 record.

Sadly enough, I passed on this game also- the long drive in the fog and the time it takes just doesn't seem worth it right now. I lost my heart and hope after MNF and haven't found it yet, although I keep looking. I sincerely wish that Santa makes it down my chimney and we make the playoffs - but I'm not holding my breath. I will watch the game while decorating a tree rather than give it my undivided attention.

All I want those reindeer to bring in the sleigh is for my team to win more than it loses. With Kubiak or without him - I don't care. Losing is no longer an option period.

Blake
12-13-2009, 12:00 PM

So instead of being in the playoffs and getting experience you would just rather this team not be in the playoffs at all. Good one Khari.

bah007
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm sorry, we aren't winning tomorrow. No way in hell. I passed on going to this game to stay home and hang Christmas lights because I've got a better chance of seeing Santa Claus squeeze his fat ass down my chimney than I do of seeing the Texans finish this season with even a .500 record. Seeing them make the playoffs would be tantamount to watching flying reindeer land on my lawn.

Sorry guys, enjoy the last few weeks of football though. I don't mean to be a total grinch. Hopefully somebody will emerge over the last month of the season who we can look forward to seeing next year. I'd like to see what Foster or Henry could do. That would be nice even if it only ruled them out completely. I'm tired of watching Chris Brown. I know he's been effective at times but I swear I've seen this guy run before. He's like a highly motivated Jonathan Wells. Big, upright, not all that fast, and you never, ever expect him to break a long one.

Wrong Herv. You should know better. Now that the playoffs are out of the picture there is no pressure on this team to win. So naturally that is what we will finally do.

In the last two season, once the playoffs became an unrealistic goal, this team has finished 3-1 and 5-1 down the stretch.

Blake
12-13-2009, 12:57 PM
wrong herv. You should know better. Now that the playoffs are out of the picture there is no pressure on this team to win. So naturally that is what we will finally do.

In the last two season, once the playoffs became an unrealistic goal, this team has finished 3-1 and 5-1 down the stretch.

qft.

False Start
12-13-2009, 01:05 PM
No playoffs, a lot of things have to happen, and I just dont see it happening.

m5kwatts
12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Denver and Jacksonville losing is BIG

We play Miami so we decide their fate in a way

A lot of stars have to align though

awtysst
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Denver and Jacksonville losing is BIG

We play Miami so we decide their fate in a way

A lot of stars have to align though

I will update with math after all of the teams in front of us have played.

HJam72
12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Here's what I tell our smarter-than-himself HC: Make the playoffs or you're fired. Yes, I know it will come down to the stars aligning. I don't give a *&^%!!! You should have had this team playing this way all year....at least since you got Pollard and replaced your moronic DC.

Maddict5
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
next week will be the biggest week for us to have any chance

obviously we need to take care of the rams like we should... and we need:

- the colts to take care of the jags on thurs nite
- chicago to beat the ravens at Bal. this is a big one and imo the least likely to happen
- the miami titans game is win win for us

alot of the other teams have difficult scheds left. it'll be a bit of fun watching it unfold anyway

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Not sure if Denver can drop 4 in a row back to back years but that would help. Baltimore and the Jets are the scariest ones to take the 6th seed imo. Jags has a tough rest of their season and its gonna be tough to keep that spot.

theanswer000
12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
next week will be the biggest week for us to have any chance

obviously we need to take care of the rams like we should... and we need:

- the colts to take care of the jags on thurs nite
- chicago to beat the ravens at Bal. this is a big one and imo the least likely to happen
- the miami titans game is win win for us

alot of the other teams have difficult scheds left. it'll be a bit of fun watching it unfold anyway

We actually need Miami to beat the Titans so we can have that advantage. The biggest game next week is the Bears and Ravens they pretty much have to lose, for us to go up quickly. If not they still have the steelers to play. I can see it happening but Idk if the Texans will be able to beat the Dolphins and Patriots.

theanswer000
12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Not sure if Denver can drop 4 in a row back to back years but that would help. Baltimore and the Jets are the scariest ones to take the 6th seed imo. Jags has a tough rest of their season and its gonna be tough to keep that spot.

Jets play Tampa bay today. They still have Atlanta,Indy,Cincy.

They dont look to scary anymore.

Im more worried about Baltimore.

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Jets play Tampa bay today. They still have Atlanta,Indy,Cincy.

They dont look to scary anymore.

Im more worried about Baltimore.

The problem with the Jets is that Indy and Cincy may be resting their starters in those games.

Maddict5
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
We actually need Miami to beat the Titans so we can have that advantage. The biggest game next week is the Bears and Ravens they pretty much have to lose, for us to go up quickly. If not they still have the steelers to play. I can see it happening but Idk if the Texans will be able to beat the Dolphins and Patriots.

the titans have the pats week 16 so thats why im hoping it wont matter

TheRealJoker
12-13-2009, 03:57 PM

I just want the Phins to beat the Tacks because I hate the Tacks :)

theanswer000
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
I think if the Colts are still undefeated like they were a few years back they arent going to sit the starters. They will probably go for it and finish perfect especially if the Saints still are. Cincy might sit theres but they just lost today and they only have 9 wins so it just depends on the record at that point. And hopefully the phins and pats beat the titans.

Hervoyel
12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
So, if I understand this correctly the Texans again did exactly the opposite of what I expected them to do.

So basically nothing has changed about this season. Win when it doesn't matter anymore against bad teams, lose when it means the most. They're right on schedule.

dalemurphy
12-13-2009, 06:56 PM
So, if I understand this correctly the Texans again did exactly the opposite of what I expected them to do.

So basically nothing has changed about this season. Win when it doesn't matter anymore against bad teams, lose when it means the most. They're right on schedule.

I think the win has more to do with the quality of opponent. We haven't lost to a bad team this year (unless you count Jacksonville)... The Buffalo and SF games were important als, and they won those games- because they are significantly better than those teams. We lost twice to Indy because they are still a little bit better. We played well versus Tennessee but came up short. We lost our QB and didn't recover in time versus Jacksonville.

GuerillaBlack
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I think the win has more to do with the quality of opponent. We haven't lost to a bad team this year (unless you count Jacksonville)... The Buffalo and SF games were important als, and they won those games- because they are significantly better than those teams. We lost twice to Indy because they are still a little bit better. We played well versus Tennessee but came up short. We lost our QB and didn't recover in time versus Jacksonville.

We lost the last game against Jax because Kubiak wanted to see the other gret things Chris Brown could do....like throw the ball.

False Start
12-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Win when it doesn't matter anymore against bad teams, lose when it means the most. They're right on schedule.

Pretty much. It's like hitting a solo HR, when your team is down 14-3 in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. :kitten:

El Tejano
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Just win the last 3. Everything else will take care of itself. If we win and get in, we probably don't deserve to be there but everyone else who lost doesn't either. If we lose and get eliminated, we weren't supposed to be in there.

theanswer000
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Didnt the Titans play them already?

tedr
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Didnt the Titans play them already?

Yes. The Titans play at Seattle the last week of the season.

awtysst
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I will update with math after all of the teams in front of us have played.

So coming into today, the Texans needed to sweep their games and get some luck. They had a 0.56% chance of making the playoffs.

Now, lets see where they are now. Again, I am saying there is a 50:50 chance per game. So, they have a .125 of winning all three games.

Tennessee: won by 40. So we still need at least 1 loss. This would be .875

Steelers: still .875

Dolphins: won. need 2 losses of 3=0.50

Jets: won. also need 2 losses=0.5

Ravens won: also 0.5

Jags: 0.5

Texans:=0.68%

TD
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM
The playoff formula is simple......move to another division. We'd be sewing up our 3rd straight appearance right about now. :(

JDizzle
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty much. It's like hitting a solo HR, when your team is down 14-3 in the bottom of the 9th with two outs. :kitten:

Leave Miguel Tejada out of this

tedr
12-14-2009, 09:19 PM
So coming into today, the Texans needed to sweep their games and get some luck. They had a 0.56% chance of making the playoffs.

Now, lets see where they are now. Again, I am saying there is a 50:50 chance per game. So, they have a .125 of winning all three games.

Tennessee: won by 40. So we still need at least 1 loss. This would be .875

Steelers: still .875

Dolphins: won. need 2 losses of 3=0.50

Jets: won. also need 2 losses=0.5

Ravens won: also 0.5

Jags: 0.5

Texans:=0.68%

I think the Dolphins only need to lose to us; then we'd have the tiebreaker against them.

Big Lou
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
NO OPTIMISIM PLEASE!!!!!

This team can sense optimism and feeds off of it to turn in to a loser. If we can all just focus all of our anger and frustration in to a big "Hate Ray" they will win the Super Bowl this year, so pass the Hatorade!!!!!!

DexmanC
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
This team plays its best, when people think of them as a steaming pile of ****.
When people expect greatness from them, they fold. So....

Think the OPPOSITE of where you want them to be, and they will always
deliver.

barrett
12-15-2009, 01:36 AM
There's no optimism here. We are merely talking about what might happen. No one is optimistic about it. We all hate the team and want them to do poorly so that Dexman will quit on the team. I'm pretty sure that's a universal stance.

Just kidding. I'm terribly optimistic.

DexmanC
12-15-2009, 02:12 AM
There's no optimism here. We are merely talking about what might happen. No one is optimistic about it. We all hate the team and want them to do poorly so that Dexman will quit on the team. I'm pretty sure that's a universal stance.

Just kidding. I'm terribly optimistic.

Unlike Tiger, I'm gonna quash all false rumors against me. LOL.
I have never, and WILL NEVER quit on this team.
I just feel, STRONGLY in fact, that we have a GLARING weakness
at head coach. Mediocre is better than pathetic, but it's NOT
my long-term aspiration for this team.

This team was 5-7 in week 14 of the last three seasons, but saying
"This is the BEST 5-7 team in the NFL!" just doesn't cut it for me.

barrett
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Okay, can somebody find a way to do the math so that this scenario comes into play:

Sunday, January 3rd at noon the Texans are playing to win and go to the playoffs. Is there a scenario when that takes place? Or will we, no matter what, be watching football at 3 o'clock hoping someone will loose?

Jottoz
12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Okay, can somebody find a way to do the math so that this scenario comes into play:

Sunday, January 3rd at noon the Texans are playing to win and go to the playoffs. Is there a scenario when that takes place? Or will we, no matter what, be watching football at 3 o'clock hoping someone will loose?

I hope were watching Baltimore lose at 3:15 against the Raiders in Oakland, hopefully Chicago and Pittsburgh will have already taken them out as well!

Thorn
12-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Stranger things have happened in the NFL, but the amount of luck and losing by other teams to get the Texans into the playoffs is a bit much. I sure as hell wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

barrett
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Stranger things have happened in the NFL, but the amount of luck and losing by other teams to get the Texans into the playoffs is a bit much. I sure as hell wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

I completely recognize that. I'm not saying... I'm just saying....

Thorn
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I completely recognize that. I'm not saying... I'm just saying....

I know. I would LOVE IT it they actually back doored their way into the playoffs. It would be great. I'm just not getting my hopes up. Professional Houston football teams (NFL and USFL) and stabbed me in the heart to many times.

But don't think for a second I wasn't relieved as hell the Jags lost tonight. :)

TheRealJoker
12-17-2009, 11:02 PM
The more I think about it the more it makes sense:

We've been by far the most unlucky team in the playoff race this season. 6 of our 7 losses we had a chance to win late in the 4th quarter but for one reason or another we couldn't finish the game. We're due a little luck right now, not just for this team this season but for every major Houston sports team in our city's history!!!

If any franchise deserves a little luck that allows them to sneak into the playoffs its the Houston Texans!!! :texflag:

barrett
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
All we can do is win the next 3 games. So until we don't do that, it is completely involuntary for me to follow what it would take.

I don't want to get my hopes up either but hope by definition is what I feel. I'm hoping that it all falls into place. I'm just wondering if there's some scenario (crazy as it would need to be) that would put it in our own hands on that final Sunday.

By the way, hoping that they don't make it would be Dexman's version of "hope". Don't mean to pick on you buddy but you've made it too easy.

Insideop
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
They have as much of a chance of making the playoffs as Tracy seeing the court again in a Rockets uni.

:hmmm: I wonder if Gary is on to something!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6772204.html

TEXANRED
12-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! We are still in the playoff hunt.

We make the playoffs and I will apologize about every mean thing I have said about Schaub, Kubiak and the rest of the team.

I feel like the Raiders right now, just win baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

TexCanada
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Go Atl, GB and Chi this weekend!

TheRealJoker
12-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Go Atl, GB and Chi this weekend!

Go NFC!!!

lostboy
12-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Can we slam the tombstone on this season like the Astros a few years back and watch them pull off a "Houston Hailmary" and go all the way?:headhurts:

HOU-TEX
12-18-2009, 08:58 AM
I think some of y'all are setting yourselves up for more disappointment with this playoff scenario talk.

The Texans have to take care of their own business first. This team winning 4 consecutive games alone is very uncharacteristic and unlikely. It's not like our final two games are against scrubs. Heck, I'm not even looking past the Rams with our lack of consistency.

:fans:

Kaiser Toro
12-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I think some of y'all are setting yourselves up for more disappointment with this playoff scenario talk.

The Texans have to take care of their own business first. This team winning 4 consecutive games alone is very uncharacteristic and unlikely. It's not like our final two games are against scrubs. Heck, I'm not even looking past the Rams with our lack of consistency.

For me the games mean something. I trust that the games will mean something for the team. The last thing I would want, as Kubiak comes under the microscope, is an evaluation based on games that mean nothing.

HoustonFrog
12-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Agree. You have to win out and then have all the other teams lose. It wasn't like I expected J'Ville to win. the Colts were scoring at will. So that game was a given. Though I think the Jags might have gotten a boost from how they competed.

HOU-TEX
12-18-2009, 09:08 AM
For me the games mean something. I trust that the games will mean something for the team. The last thing I would want, as Kubiak comes under the microscope, is an evaluation based on games that mean nothing.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I posted. I didn't say anything about the games not meaning anything to the team or myself. I'm fully aware of the importance. I just don't think it's as likely as some make it out to be.

Kaiser Toro
12-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I posted. I didn't say anything about the games not meaning anything to the team or myself. I'm fully aware of the importance. I just don't think it's as likely as some make it out to be.

Your post was in reference to disappointment. I will not be disappointed with the outcome outside of the Texans not coming to play and Kubiak being here next year. In summary, both sides should not be disappointed how this is shaping up at the moment, in my opinion.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Yay team!! :fans:

:yawn:

HOU-TEX
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Your post was in reference to disappointment. I will not be disappointed with the outcome outside of the Texans not coming to play and Kubiak being here next year. In summary, both sides should not be disappointed how this is shaping up at the moment, in my opinion.

Ah, c'mon, you've got to be disappointed about the way the season has gone, right? I mean, 4-6 games could've easily be W's if it weren't for shooting ourselves in the foot in big games. Honestly, I was expecting more this season. I was happy with the first 8-8 season and kinda neutral on last seasons 8-8. I will be upset at 8-8 again.

Kaiser Toro
12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Ah, c'mon, you've got to be disappointed about the way the season has gone, right? I mean, 4-6 games could've easily be W's if it weren't for shooting ourselves in the foot in big games. Honestly, I was expecting more this season. I was happy with the first 8-8 season and kinda neutral on last seasons 8-8. I will be upset at 8-8 again.

I am only quoting your thoughts...

My disappointment in the season and the way that the end of the season has been set up to evaluate the team and staff are exclusive of one another for me.

hookinreds
12-18-2009, 09:32 AM
I am only quoting your thoughts...

My disappointment in the season and the way that the end of the season has been set up to evaluate the team and staff are exclusive of one another for me.

My disappointment in the post season was set up in the early '70s. This is nothing new. So for the last 30+ years we've always had a chance...sometimes that lasts until the end of the first game of the season...sometimes it lasts until the end of game 16...and every now and then there's that blind squirrel in my yard that finds his nut on the same day that my dog's arse gets sunburned.

I say here's to sunburned nuts!:texflag: GO TEXANS!

ObsiWan
12-18-2009, 09:35 AM
We lost the last game against Jax because Kubiak wanted to see the other gret things Chris Brown could do....like throw the ball.

ummm... I thought Shanahan called the offensive plays...? Why isn't that call on him?

HJam72
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't care. IF they get into the playoffs, I will care again....and I will go back and watch each win. I'm tired of caring. Meanwhile, I will not care and still gripe. :cool:

GP
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
ummm... I thought Shanahan called the offensive plays...? Why isn't that call on him?

Pretty sure that Kubiak is on record as admitting that he has reclaimed control of the playcalling. And I believe this occurred early in the season.

Thus the outrage and abundance of Pink Soap, Obsi.

He needs to be a gameday COACH, not an offensive coordinator. He needs to look at the big picture and not delve so deeply into the offense.

It's been said that when we are under pressure, we revert to things that are most comfortable to us. Kubiak, IMO, has reverted back to doing what he does best: Calling plays for the offense. It's what he knows, what he's always done, and it's the shell that he has tucked himself into.

I don't know if the Jets game spooked him so badly that he took charge immediately after that, which resulted in an offensive explosion vs. the Titans, which then solidified in his own mind that he needed to keep calling plays.

But the guy is predictable on so many levels.

He thinks he can fine-tune his offense and beat any team out there with his [;ayers and his plays. Instead of allowing his QB to have an influence on what plays to call, he locks them down and says "Run the play."

Now, I'm no NFL genius. But after four years, I say "Thank you for growing our offense up," and "But it's time you moved on."

The predictability from the guy is astounding. If he can't entrust his o-coord, and subsequently yanks back command and control of the gameday playcalling, then the dude isn't the guy to take this team to the next level.

I even wonder if Kyle called this past game vs. the Seahawks. Could be that the 'Hawks are so bad that Kubiak's playcalling still wroked. But the plays looked different, and there was more action thrown AJ's way than I have seen in a long time, maybe even dating back to the end of last season.

ObsiWan
12-18-2009, 09:45 AM
The more I think about it the more it makes sense:

We've been by far the most unlucky team in the playoff race this season. 6 of our 7 losses we had a chance to win late in the 4th quarter but for one reason or another we couldn't finish the game. We're due a little luck right now, not just for this team this season but for every major Houston sports team in our city's history!!!

If any franchise deserves a little luck that allows them to sneak into the playoffs its the Houston Texans!!! :texflag:

hey, watch it, Joker.
that sounds like optimism.
maybe even enthusiam.
:sarcasm:
Besides, if we sneak into the playoffs, the coach won't be fired
and, per several posters I've seen around here, firing Kubiak or losing so we can have a top ten pick is waaaay more important to them than making the playoffs (admittedly by hook or crook) or "winning meaningless games"

...so you just watch yourself young fella.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2009, 09:49 AM
My disappointment in the post season was set up in the early '70s. This is nothing new. So for the last 30+ years we've always had a chance...sometimes that lasts until the end of the first game of the season...sometimes it lasts until the end of game 16...and every now and then there's that blind squirrel in my yard that finds his nut on the same day that my dog's arse gets sunburned.

I say here's to sunburned nuts!:texflag: GO TEXANS!

Late 60's for me. :cool:

stevn8r
12-18-2009, 09:50 AM

C'MON MAN!!!

Don't poo poo on my fun! We didn't expect to have ANY fun two weeks ago! Just playing out the rest of our season HOPING for anything besides another 8-8!
I am having a blast rooting for random teams to beat other teams in the hunt just because we have a "chance":kitten::gamer:

If it unfolds correctly, GREAT!!!
If it turns out like a cracker in a ceiling fan, well, at least it was fun to watch!!!

Chicago beating the Ravens? LMAO
Oh wait.....The browns beat the Steelers..."so you're sayin' there's a chance?!?

hookinreds
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Late 60's for me. :cool:

Showoff!

Thorn
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
As long as there is still hope, hope is what it is. I don't think there is a chance in hell of the Texans being in the playoffs this year, but it doesn't keep me from hopeing it happens. :)

infantrycak
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Pretty sure that Kubiak is on record as admitting that he has reclaimed control of the playcalling. And I believe this occurred early in the season.

Shanahan calls the plays with Kubiak having override authority. We have no specific information on when Kubiak has exercised that option.

To the topic of the thread, playoffs are a long shot but if we take care of business the next two games we could have a final home game for the first time in which we are still in the hunt - the Bears scenario from last year. They got all the breaks they needed from other teams but couldn't handle their own. Better to be a team with a chance in the last week than a team just hoping to kill another team's hopes.

Hardcore Texan
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
The Ravens are playing pretty well right now. It's much more likely they will make it into the playoffs....and not us unfortunately.

Joe Texan
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I jsut wonder if we somehow miraculoulsy made the playoffs how Kubiak would be able to coach the team with his back turned the whole game. :bender:

Just like you are a fan with your back turned, Seems you have made a hobby of it. At least Kubiak will not leave in the third quarter.

False Start
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
As long as there is still hope, hope is what it is. I don't think there is a chance in hell of the Texans being in the playoffs this year, but it doesn't keep me from hopeing it happens. :)

Yeah, thats pretty much my take as well, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much.

GP
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Shanahan calls the plays with Kubiak having override authority. We have no specific information on when Kubiak has exercised that option.

There was an article over the off-season where it had this sort of "Kubiak Graduates from O-Coord to Head Coach" feel to it, where he says that he's going to focus more on being a head coach and let Kyle call the plays full time in 2009.

I have seen post-game comments where Kubiak is saying things like "I just didn't make the right call there," and then his admitting of calling the half-back pass vs. Jags.

He still has the huge color-coded Denny's menu. He still stands away from the team and pours over it like he's prepping for a finals exam at college.

I think it's safe to say that the man is not like a lot of other head coaches. I remember training my attention upon Jack Del Rio during the last game we played in Jax. He had a little piece of paper, but it was almost always at his side and he was watching the game on the field. It seemed he was dissecting what was going on, watching how it unfolded. Even when they had those brain-farts that let us back into the game, he didn't furiously start thumbing through his menu. He just maintained a poker face. And watched. No putting his hand up to his face, covering his eyes. No turning away because he couldn't stand to watch. And in the end, he ran MJD down our throats and sealed a game away. Pwned by Del Rio. Again.

Same with Fisher. I don't even think he has a cheat sheet on him most of the time. He's watching the game, maybe even going over to his group of guys on the bench and squatting down to encourage them or coach them up. He's always got his hand on that red flag, just waiting for his crew to give him the thumbs up, or thumbs down. He's managing the game. He's looking for evey single ounce of opportunity that he can exploit when the opponent messes up.

And obviously Peyton Manning might be just as much of a coach as he is their star player for the Colts. He's out there running the show like a general would. That team might have IMPROVED with Dungy leaving.

So I look at this pile of evidence, and I ask myself this: Is Gary Kubiak the type of head coach who does his job well? In the area of scouting players, running them through the system and producing a viable offensive system to use on gameday, I say "Yes." But in terms of knowing how to manage the whole enchilada, which I think is a big part of the head coach position, he is woefully lacking when compared to his divisional rivals.

I think Gary Kubiak calls (or overrides) more plays than he should. And I wonder why the offense went from zero-to-hero for the first time since the injury to Owen Daniels. Could it be that Gary relented on the playcalling, to Kyle, in this past game? Could it be that Gary can't keep his finger out of that pie until the end of each season when he sees that maybe he should have been giving Kyle the green light all season long? Is this a guy who waits until all hope is lost before he finally takes risks and plays that Arian Foster kid like he knows he should have all season?

He is not inspiring hope, in me, as a fan of the Texans. I wonder how much more this feeling is magnified in the players? Is he inspiring them to play their best?

Texan_Bill
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Showoff!

lol:

I gotta be me.

BigBull17
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM

Thus the outrage and abundance of Pink Soap, Obsi.

He needs to be a gameday COACH, not an offensive coordinator. He needs to look at the big picture and not delve so deeply into the offense.

It's been said that when we are under pressure, we revert to things that are most comfortable to us. Kubiak, IMO, has reverted back to doing what he does best: Calling plays for the offense. It's what he knows, what he's always done, and it's the shell that he has tucked himself into.

I don't know if the Jets game spooked him so badly that he took charge immediately after that, which resulted in an offensive explosion vs. the Titans, which then solidified in his own mind that he needed to keep calling plays.

But the guy is predictable on so many levels.

He thinks he can fine-tune his offense and beat any team out there with his [;ayers and his plays. Instead of allowing his QB to have an influence on what plays to call, he locks them down and says "Run the play."

Now, I'm no NFL genius. But after four years, I say "Thank you for growing our offense up," and "But it's time you moved on."

The predictability from the guy is astounding. If he can't entrust his o-coord, and subsequently yanks back command and control of the gameday playcalling, then the dude isn't the guy to take this team to the next level.

I even wonder if Kyle called this past game vs. the Seahawks. Could be that the 'Hawks are so bad that Kubiak's playcalling still wroked. But the plays looked different, and there was more action thrown AJ's way than I have seen in a long time, maybe even dating back to the end of last season.

That was something that bothered me, an inexperienced Head Coach with inexperienced coordinators. Doesn't bode well, IMO.

TEXANS84
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It seems as if everyone is overlooking the Rams.

I recall a same style scenario last year....when we played the Raiders...and we all know the result. 1 game at a time fellas.

HoustonFrog
12-18-2009, 10:36 AM

I recall a same style scenario last year....when we played the Raiders...and we all know the result. 1 game at a time fellas.

I was thinking the same thing...they have 1 win, they have swine flu, they are playing a 3rd string QB, etc, etc. Seems like an easy win. But you never know in the NFL. Just go out and execute.

Thorn
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM

I know. I think we win though. Although, if we lose today, I would be money that Kubiak's fate is sealed after a loss to the Rams.

El Tejano
12-18-2009, 10:38 AM
All we can do is win the next 3 games. So until we don't do that, it is completely involuntary for me to follow what it would take.

I don't want to get my hopes up either but hope by definition is what I feel. I'm hoping that it all falls into place. I'm just wondering if there's some scenario (crazy as it would need to be) that would put it in our own hands on that final Sunday.

By the way, hoping that they don't make it would be Dexman's version of "hope". Don't mean to pick on you buddy but you've made it too easy.

So basically your just asking who do we root for besides the Texans.

Texan_Bill
12-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing...they have 1 win, they have swine flu, they are playing a 3rd string QB, etc, etc. Seems like an easy win. But you never know in the NFL. Just go out and execute.

Why you gotta go all Dom Capers on us? :turtle:

spurstexanstros
12-18-2009, 11:06 AM

remember ryan fitzpatrick and the comeback the last time these two teams played.

Dread-Head
12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
...At ...work...can't ...post...Jim...Mora!!!

ObsiWan
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM

To the topic of the thread, playoffs are a long shot but if we take care of business the next two games we could have a final home game for the first time in which we are still in the hunt - the Bears scenario from last year. They got all the breaks they needed from other teams but couldn't handle their own. Better to be a team with a chance in the last week than a team just hoping to kill another team's hopes.

...so you're saying there's still a chance...?
:D
(I have to admit, that's funny)

BigBull17
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
remember ryan fitzpatrick and the comeback the last time these two teams played.

We were a different team then. As I have said, we were very lucky to win 2 games.

Showtime100
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM

New to Houston sports, are you?

GP
12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

That other Rams team was a team that retained a lot of its core players, and coaches/style-of-play when Bulger went down and Fitzpatrick came in and rallied the team.

I'm telling you guys this: I watched the Rams play last week, the whole game, and this Rams team is possibly even worse than last year's Lions team.

This is a win. I don't even have to think about it. This game will make the Seahawks look like the '85 Bears once it's finished.

There is zero chance. Not even the "That's why we play the games!" comment has any jurisdiction here.

1. They have a sore and battered Steven Jackson who didn't finish the game last week.

2. Their offensive philosophy is more watered down than anything Dom Capers ever put on the field for the Texans. I mean, seriously guys: There is n-o-t-h-i-n-g there, in terms of an offensive identity.

3. No Bulger, which even Bulger (at this point of his career) is not going to help them much.

4. Both their starting outside linebackers are done.

The only thing they can use against us is their special teams return game, with Amendola. He straight-up BLASTED the Titans special team coverage unit. On punts AND kickoff returns. The guy has Jacoby Jones speed in the body of David Anderson. Very hard to pin him down.

Save you're worrying for the remainder of the games.

This will be the last EASY win.

Double Barrel
12-18-2009, 11:50 AM

WE'RE GOING TO BEAT THE RAMS DOWN!!!!! :texflag:

If we - as Texans fans - cannot EXPECT a win over a 1-12 Rams team...then we have extremely low expectations for our 'much improved' team.

And if they should go out there and lay an egg against the freakin' 1-12 Rams, then Kubiak should be gone on Monday. Period, no doubt about it, you'd have to be a Bob McNair boytoy to defend that kind of epic meltdown.

I mean, c'mon, IT'S THE FREAKIN' 1-12 RAMS!!! :redtowel:

Second Honeymoon
12-18-2009, 11:53 AM

yes, that was one of the most embarassing games i ever attended. fitzpatrick looked like dan freaking marino against that halfarse defense and our offense was crap as usual.

oh boy, they sucked that year.

sometexansfan
12-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Go NFC!!!

Except for St. Louis. :fans:

MannyFresh
12-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Kind of sad we have to rely on everyone to lose this or that just to "back into" the playoffs...

Shoulda, coulda, but hey, I wouldn't be a "good fan" if I'm not looking on the bright side according to some, so I'll say yay team, just wish you would've made those necessary field goals, 1 yard punch ins, and OD going down.

Showtime100
12-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Kind of sad we have to rely on everyone to lose this or that just to "back into" the playoffs...

Shoulda, coulda, but hey, I wouldn't be a "good fan" if I'm not looking on the bright side according to some, so I'll say yay team, just wish you would've made those necessary field goals, 1 yard punch ins, and OD going down.

I'm on the dark side and I'm a good fan, huge fan. Screw what the others think. Fire Kubiak, the moron.

C Madd
12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qUyl9iZq0BQ/SWQ2ERGRvgI/AAAAAAAABcc/aCxcfaxgFcI/s400/JimMora.jpg

HJam72
12-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm just gonna laugh if we lose. :polevault:

The mighty Texans lose a heated battle to their arch-rival--the powerful St. Louis Rams: :slapfight: :pursefight:

ObsiWan
12-18-2009, 04:37 PM

You could channel Mike Tomlin...

"Playoffs? Man, we're just trying to win a game."

axman40
12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm just gonna laugh if we lose. :polevault:

The mighty Texans lose a heated battle to their arch-rival--the powerful St. Louis Rams: :slapfight: :pursefight:
The H1N1 Rams

thunderkyss
12-18-2009, 04:58 PM
The predictability from the guy is astounding.

I bet you didn't see that HB pass coming. Or running the reverse with Andre.

I know I didn't.

I remember training my attention upon Jack Del Rio during the last game we played in Jax. He had a little piece of paper, but it was almost always at his side and he was watching the game on the field. It seemed he was dissecting what was going on, watching how it unfolded.

This is totally unrealated. But the Seahawks game was the first game I saw our team dissecting photos of the game between every possession. I've seen us do it at times.... but not this frequently.

I'll put up my pink soap avatar, if we lose to the Rams. I've already forgiven them for not beating the Titans on Monday night. Even though I know they knew how much that game meant to us. I forgave them for not beating the Jags. Even though they knew what that game meant to us.

But if they can't find it in themselves to win this game at all costs...... I want them all gone, from McNair, to the waterboy.

thunderkyss
12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't care. IF they get into the playoffs, I will care again....and I will go back and watch each win. I'm tired of caring. Meanwhile, I will not care and still gripe. :cool:

One day I'd like to retire to a place where the weather is as fair as where you're at.

TEXANRED
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
if we make it to the playoffs i will shave my head bald.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
if we make it to the playoffs i will shave my head bald.

Come on, no fun just shaving your head bald! Would you consider write TEXANS on your balded head?

Thorn
12-18-2009, 09:16 PM
The H1N1 Rams

that's scary!

TEXANRED
12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Come on, no fun just shaving your head bald! Would you consider write TEXANS on your balded head?

Yes. Yes I would.

brakos82
12-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Remember that kid with the Bengals helmet design shaved in his hair? Something more Texan-y.

imatexan
12-18-2009, 10:37 PM
If the Texans actually make the playoffs I will buy a ticket on the road to watch them play and cheer my heart out for them...I think that is enough.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes. Yes I would.

Thank you!

SAMURAITEXAN
12-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Remember that kid with the Bengals helmet design shaved in his hair? Something more Texan-y.

Better yet. We will have another presser by brakos82.

barrett
12-19-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't care.IF they get into the playoffs, I will care again....and I will go back and watch each win. I'm tired of caring. Meanwhile, I will not care and still gripe. :cool:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I HOPE they loose out so guys like you will quit on this team. Why are you posting? Why are you caring about those of us who DO care? Why are you wasting YOUR time to push your fingers onto the keyboard? This is an honest question. What do you think you're doing? What relevance do you think your opinion has based on the terrific insight you've shared with the rest of us?

As long as there is still hope, hope is what it is. I don't think there is a chance in hell of the Texans being in the playoffs this year, but it doesn't keep me from hopeing it happens. :)I'm glad you've come over to the dark side Luke. Welcome to the evil "hopeful" club. You will be happy here I can assure you.

Yeah, thats pretty much my take as well, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much.

My hopes are sky high. I don't understand this. Why would your hopes NOT be sky high. I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULDN'T HOPE WITH ALL YOUR HEART THAT THIS TEAM WOULD SUCCEED. Unless you didn't care. In which case I'll refer to my post above.

Maddict5
12-19-2009, 08:20 AM
this seems to be wrong to me:

* Ravens - Need to lose any two games (Detroit, Chicago, at Pitt and at Oakland).

to me it seems the ravens have to lose both afc games (they have a 6-4 conference record atm and the best we can do is 6-6 conference wise). the bears one really doesnt matter.

dalemurphy
12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
this seems to be wrong to me:

to me it seems the ravens have to lose both afc games (they have a 6-4 conference record atm and the best we can do is 6-6 conference wise). the bears one really doesnt matter.

Baltimore beats us if they win 9 games... They have to lose any 2. They are 7-6. So, 2 losses put them at 8-8. We can win out and go 9-7.

Mailman
12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
That frocking blizzard on the East Coast is not helping our playoff chances. The Bears are a sloppy mess as it is, but any shot they had of upsetting the Ravens in Baltimore died with their missed flight. They are screwed.

Maddict5
12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Baltimore beats us if they win 9 games... They have to lose any 2. They are 7-6. So, 2 losses put them at 8-8. We can win out and go 9-7.

:homer:

El Tejano
12-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Cutler under a blitz is pretty crappy itself, w/o the help of a blizzard. The one thing I have to say about the Ravens is that Flacco has lossed some games for them and they've shown to be a very inconsistent offense. They can lose the last 3 games.

Lucky
12-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Why are you posting? Why are you caring about those of us who DO care? Why are you wasting YOUR time to push your fingers onto the keyboard?

My hopes are sky high. I don't understand this. Why would your hopes NOT be sky high. I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULDN'T HOPE WITH ALL YOUR HEART THAT THIS TEAM WOULD SUCCEED. Unless you didn't care. In which case I'll refer to my post above.
I award you the Oscar for best performance while taking posts out of context. I cried real tears.

I have an idea. Why don't you decide your criteria for fandom? And let everyone else define their own. I understand your excitement due to the Texans current standing of 7th place in the Wild Card chase. But, cut some slack to those of us who are less than thrilled with the Texans performance to date.

barrett
12-20-2009, 03:13 AM
I'd like to thank the academy...

pmb_4_texans
12-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Here is how I see the Texans making into the playoffs. We all need to root for the TITANS, ATLANTA and CHICAGO today. What are your thoughs?

http://www.epotxusa.com/HOU_Texans/2009-Hopeful-Week-15-17.GIF

:chef:

Honoring Earl 34
12-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Some wisdom from Mick .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jyKabLHVc

Lucky
12-20-2009, 10:35 AM
It's difficult for me to wrap my head around this fantasy, but wouldn't it be better if the Fins beat the Possums today, considering that the Texans would have to win @ Miami? If Tennessee somehow wins out (no more difficult a prospect as the Texans going 3-0), they would hold the tiebreaker over Houston with a better division record.

Wins by the Ravens, Titans, and the Jets wouldn't mathematically eliminate the Texans. They would still have a 1 in 256 shot at the last wildcard slot going into Week 16. Which would indicate improvement to some.

Lucky
12-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is how I see the Texans making into the playoffs.
Props for all of your work on this. But, we already had a playoff possibility thread, so I moved it here.

thunderkyss
12-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I award you the Oscar for best performance while taking posts out of context. I cried real tears.

I have an idea. Why don't you decide your criteria for fandom? And let everyone else define their own. I understand your excitement due to the Texans current standing of 7th place in the Wild Card chase. But, cut some slack to those of us who are less than thrilled with the Texans performance to date.

I have an idea. Why don't you decide your criteria for fan-dom, & let everyone else define their own? I understand your disappointment that the Texans aren't in the lead for the Wild Card chase, but cut some slack to those of us who are excited that the Texans haven't been mathematically eliminated this deep (week 15) into the season.

This kind of banter has been going back & forth, it's not like the "other side" hasn't been questioning our intelligence, football knowledge & whatever else.

Lucky
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM
This kind of banter has been going back & forth, it's not like the "other side" hasn't been questioning our intelligence, football knowledge & whatever else.
There is a distinction between questioning football "intelligence" or opinions, and questioning what being a fan is all about. Non-fans aren't posting on message boards, save for the the occasional trolls that are weeded out.

Feel free to call out my (or anyone else's) football opinions. Just don't question our fandom, or why we bother to post. We are all on equal footing.

Lucky
12-20-2009, 02:56 PM
LOL. Despite their awful performance, the Texans minute playoff chances have increased. Fins still have a shot at beating the Titans and the falcons lead the Jets. Both would bode well for the Texans.

gwallaia
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I think a Titan win would be better for the Texans in this case.

Wolf
12-20-2009, 02:58 PM
jets lose

miami just tied the Titans

TexCanada
12-20-2009, 02:59 PM
The Jets just lost.

Lucky
12-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I think a Titan win would be better for the Texans in this case.
If the Titans and Texans both win out, the Titans win the tiebreaker on divisional record. If the Dolphins win 2, but lose to the Texans, they would lose the tiebreaker to the Texans based on head-to-head.

TexCanada
12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
If the Titans and Texans both win out, the Titans win the toebreaker on divisional record. If the Dolphins win 2, but lose to the Texans, they would lose the tiebreaker to the Texans based on head-to-head.

Ya a Fins win is better for us.

Leahmic223
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Titans have a lot of time left...i'm not sure who to root for...

Titans hold the tie break...but if Miami wins they are 8-6 and play the Texans and the Steelers...so either of those games could go either way. Since we are the Texans next week will be a big game so...not counting on us winning.

Ah nevermind...Go Fins! Can't root for the Titans any ways!

RTP2110
12-20-2009, 03:03 PM
We need MIA to knock TEN out. We can knock MIA out ourselves next week.

Wolf
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Jimmy Johnson just said Houston has already folded up their tent for the season

RTP2110
12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I think I have this right. We need MIA to win now and finish 9-7, with the 7th loss to us next week. That would eliminate MIA, NYJ, and TEN all at once.*

*all this assuming Texans win out to finish 9-7

Leahmic223
12-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Also the Ravens need to lose 2 of their next 3 games.

Jets and Jags have to lose one more game.

And if the Titans win they still have to lose one more game.

On top of us winning our last two games... Well Texans only have themselves to blame for this. Having such a bad division record really has hurt this season.

gwallaia
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Someone needs to fold Jimmy Johnson's hair.

Goatcheese
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM

Jimmy Johnson needs to fold up that rug on top of his head.

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Henne chucking away a W.

GlenRice
12-20-2009, 03:36 PM
the texans now need to win rest of their games, titans lose 1 and ravens lose 2.

Or Broncos lose rest of their games

GlenRice
12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
the texans now need to win rest of their games, titans lose 1 and ravens lose 2.

Or Broncos lose rest of their games

Jets and jaz need to lose 1 more too

Leahmic223
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Nothing matters though if the Ravens win 2 more games including this one, they are the front runners now. Plus after this they play the Steelers and Raiders.

Maddict5
12-20-2009, 03:45 PM
f'n bears :(

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 03:46 PM
f'n bears :(

Jay Cutler is the Terminator. He is an interception machine.

Mailman
12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
if i had a farm, i would've put it and everything else i own on the ravens.

Wolf
12-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Jay Cutler is the Terminator. He is an interception machine.

as Lance said on one of his blogs

"And Jay Cutler is still Steve Francis... turnovers, turnovers, turnovers with an occasional windmill dunk.-LZ"

Vinny
12-20-2009, 03:57 PM
as Lance said on one of his blogs

"And Jay Cutler is still Steve Francis... turnovers, turnovers, turnovers with an occasional windmill dunk.-LZ"
for those of you who didn't get to see Jeff George play...just watch Jay Cutler and there you go, no need to watch old footage. Unreal arm, brain of a chimp.

djohn2oo8
12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
OMFG!!!! Fellas, Denver just choked a game away, and are gonna move to 8-6, along with Baltimore, both occupying those wildcard spots....Denver plays Philadelphia next :spin:

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 06:29 PM
OMFG!!!! Fellas, Denver just choked a game away, and are gonna move to 8-6, along with Baltimore, both occupying those wildcard spots....Denver plays Philadelphia next :spin:

It gives us a little more hope. Thats all we can ask for.

djohn2oo8
12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Green Bay up on Pittsburgh 36-30 with 2 minutes left

treduke
12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
for those of you who didn't get to see Jeff George play...just watch Jay Cutler and there you go, no need to watch old footage. Unreal arm, brain of a chimp.
you hit the nail on the head sir!
i'm just waiting for him to get in lovie smith's face like george did to june jones
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_umo9e9iDLLQ/ShlB5BvdzCI/AAAAAAAAA8E/zvvxfutHPT4/s400/jeff-george-falcons.jpg

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Chargers did not clinch the 2 seed as New England can still take it so they should play their best against the Titans next week.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Steelers have no quit in them unfortunately :(

m5kwatts
Freaking Packers, UGH giving up a TD as time expires, Pittsburgh wins

Mailman
I cannot believe what just happened in Pittsburgh.

Damn Roethlisberger is clutch.

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Damnit stupid ass Pittsburgh just wont go away.

Mailman
12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Steelers have no quit in them unfortunately :(

Not a terrible turn of events, actually. It gives Pittsburgh's remote playoff hopes life and a reason to fight hard against the Ravens next Sunday instead of mailing it in.

On the other hand, we'll need Miami to knock off the Steelers.

TexCanada
12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Sucks that Baltimore and Pitt won, but we are still alive. I would like to see us in a position where winning our last game could give us a chance to make playoffs. Even if it depended on KC beating Denver or Oakland beating Baltimore, our chances would obviously be almost nothing, but I would like to see how we play with everything on the line. It would be a great little tryout for Kubiak.

Maddict5
12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
do we need the steelers to lose a game? they have the same overall & conference record as us?

DexmanC
12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Sucks that Baltimore and Pitt won, but we are still alive. I would like to see us in a position where winning our last game could give us a chance to make playoffs. Even if it depended on KC beating Denver or Oakland beating Baltimore, our chances would obviously be almost nothing, but I would like to see how we play with everything on the line. It would be a great little tryout for Kubiak.

Are you serious??

Both Colts games, Monday Night against the Titans, both Jags games...
There's five of 'em right there? What more do you need to see??

:thinking:

thunderkyss
12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
..... but I would like to see how we play with everything on the line.

& that's why I don't understand why so many people are saying these are meaningless games. It is very possible (of course a lot of things has to shake out) that the last game of the season, home against N.E. could mean everything.

jaayteetx
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
do we need the steelers to lose a game? they have the same overall & conference record as us?

I think we would have the tie breaker based on common opponents, minimum of four games, if i read it correctly.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
How likely does everyone think it is that the Ravens win out and Bengals lose out (which would give us the tiebreaker over Cincy for a wildcard)?

ValpoCory
12-20-2009, 07:12 PM
If the Texans win at Miami, it is highly unlikely that Houston will be eliminated next week. The Broncos would have to win at Philly and the Ravens would have to win at Pittsburgh.

ValpoCory
12-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Damnit stupid ass Pittsburgh just wont go away.

Weren't Texans fans rooting for Pittsburgh? A Steeler win meant Pittsburgh would play with more on the line against the Ravens next week.

JCTexan
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Should we be rooting for the Steelers or Ravens next week?

DexmanC
12-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I wonder why this thread keeps omitting the Titans. They are 7-1 over
their last 8 games. Teams not named the Colts have yet to figure
out how to stop the VY/CJ combo in the backfield. If they finish 9-7,
they hold every tiebreaker, seeing that WE don't compete in the AFC
South, and THEY do. Even with an 0-6 start, they still found a way
to push us into last place.

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Weren't Texans fans rooting for Pittsburgh? A Steeler win meant Pittsburgh would play with more on the line against the Ravens next week.

I'd rather see another team get officially eliminated. I imagine Pittsburgh would have been motivated to ruin Baltimore's season even if their own playoff chances were nil.

ValpoCory
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Updated:

If the Texans win out, in order to make the playoffs, at least 4 of the following 5 rows needs to happen:

The Broncos need to lose at Philly AND vs. Kansas City (very unlikely)
The Ravens need to lose at Pittsburgh AND at Oakland (very unlikely)
The Titans need to lose vs. San Diego OR at Seattle (possible)
The Jaguars need to lose at New England OR at Cleveland (probable)
The Jets need to lose at Indy or vs. Cincinnati (probable)

TD
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I wonder what the record is for most 7-7 teams in a conference is?

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
If the Broncos lose to Philly and Pittsburgh beats Baltimore then both wildcard spots could be up for grabs heading into week 17.

Broncos would then have a game against KC and Baltimore would play in Oakland.

Can someone confirm whether we'd have the tiebreaker over Pittsburgh?

If the Ravens win next week and the Bengals lose, then Cincy would be playing for their division against the Jets.

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Should we be rooting for the Steelers or Ravens next week?

Good question. I'm not sure its going to matter in the end. I think our best chance at being alive going into the final week is if Denver loses to Philly next week. Other than that San Diego pretty much has to beat Tennessee.

JCTexan
12-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Updated:

If the Texans win out, in order to make the playoffs, at least 4 of the following 5 rows needs to happen:

Didn't Oakland ruin someone's chances at making the playoffs last year?

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
If the Broncos lose to Philly and Pittsburgh beats Baltimore then both wildcard spots could be up for grabs heading into week 17.

Broncos would then have a game against KC and Baltimore would play in Oakland.

If the Ravens win next week and the Bengals lose, then Cincy would be playing for their division against the Jets.

Steelers have only 1 win in their division, if they beat Baltimore they will have the tiebreaker.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Updated:

Don't forget to add that if the Bengals lose their final 2 games and the Ravens win their final games then the Ravens win the division and we hold the tiebreaker over the Bengals.

Texans fans need to root for KC to beat Cincy and Denver!!!

Vinny
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
reading this thread after each week reminds me of watching the Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Steelers have only 1 win in their division, if they beat Baltimore they will have the tiebreaker.

Sounds good. I don't know how confident I am that the Dolphins will be able to beat the Steelers if we eliminate them the week before.

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
reading this thread after each week reminds me of watching the Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter.

Which one? :brando:

jaayteetx
12-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm so confused!:thinking:

Maddict5
12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Good question. I'm not sure its going to matter in the end. I think our best chance at being alive going into the final week is if Denver loses to Philly next week. Other than that San Diego pretty much has to be Tennessee.

..and they have nothing to play for after today :(

Didn't Oakland ruin someone's chances at making the playoffs last year?

Tampa Bay. they were half decent today too

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
..and they have nothing to play for after today :(

Did they lock up the 2 seed? I know they would with another win, they might have already considering tie breakers but I honestly don't know. I do know San Diego and Tennessee don't like each other so that helps.

Maddict5
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
so is this it next week we're rooting for:

-ravens over steelers
-SD over titans
-NE over Jax
-KC over Cincy
-Phi over denver
-Indy over jets
-Hou over Mia

i can see about 4-6 of those happening

Thorn
12-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Face it, it would take a miracle for the Texans to make the playoffs. And even if they did, how long would they last? We've got a good passing game, a decent defense, and a marked ability to only play a half a game each Sunday. You won't last long in the playoffs is that's all you take into them.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Face it, it would take a miracle for the Texans to make the playoffs. And even if they did, how long would they last? We've got a good passing game, a decent defense, and a marked ability to only play a half a game each Sunday. You won't last long in the playoffs is that's all you take into them.

How about getting our young leaders experience actually getting in the playoffs? How about showing our best player that the team CAN actually make the playoffs?

Even if we go one and done in the playoffs, I think the experience would help our players in the long run.

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:38 PM

-ravens over steelers
-SD over titans
-NE over Jax
-KC over Cincy
-Phi over denver
-Indy over jets
-Hou over Mia

IF Cincy wins, we root for the Steelers. IF Cincy loses, we root for the Ravens...

Should be an interesting time watching the games because they'll be at the same time :)

Jackie Chiles
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
IF Cincy wins, we root for the Steelers. IF Cincy loses, we root for the Ravens...

Should be an interesting time watching the games because they'll be at the same time :)

I don't know, I think Baltimore is in regardless of what happens next week so they might as well eliminate the Steelers. I think our best hope is Denver losing out and the Jets Jags and Titans (am I forgetting anyone) losing one game. Oh and us going 2-0. Hah, no sweat.

Thorn
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
How about getting our young leaders experience actually getting in the playoffs? How about showing our best player that the team CAN actually make the playoffs?

Even if we go one and done in the playoffs, I think the experience would help our players in the long run.

don't get me wrong, I love to see us back door our way into the playoffs, even if all we did was lose out the first round. You're are correct in what you said in your post about the experience it would give our players.

I'm just saying we aren't going, the odds are to great against us, and even if we did, we'd be out the first weekend. Which, I suppose, it still better than not going at all.

TexCanada
12-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Are you serious??

Both Colts games, Monday Night against the Titans, both Jags games...
There's five of 'em right there? What more do you need to see??

:thinking:

Yes I am serious. I would like to see one more very important game to help decide on Kubiak's future. I'm not saying I'm on one side or the other regarding Kubiak, I'm simply saying that adding one more "must win" game to the database wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ghostform
12-20-2009, 07:48 PM
of all the 7-7 teams we are dead last cuz we will lose all the tie breakers. playoffs?????

TheRealJoker
12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
don't get me wrong, I love to see us back door our way into the playoffs, even if all we did was lose out the first round. You're are correct in what you said in your post about the experience it would give our players.

I'm just saying we aren't going, the odds are to great against us, and even if we did, we'd be out the first weekend. Which, I suppose, it still better than not going at all.

Yeah, you're right... we already know what's going to happen. Why even play the games?

Signed,

The 2007 New England Patriots

mariowillshine15
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Did they lock up the 2 seed? I know they would with another win, they might have already considering tie breakers but I honestly don't know. I do know San Diego and Tennessee don't like each other so that helps.

They DID NOT lock up the 2 seed today. New England can still win the 2 seed so they do have something to play for.

ValpoCory
12-20-2009, 08:08 PM

CBS is listing the Steelers ahead of the Texans.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

Maddict5
12-21-2009, 03:42 AM
CBS is listing the Steelers ahead of the Texans.

thats because they have a better division record at the moment

thunderkyss
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Sounds like the 2008 Cardinals. Or the 2007 Giants.

J_R
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
per John McClain, if the Texans win AND the Broncos and Ravens also both win next week, Texans will be eliminated

BigTimeTexanFan
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
per John McClain, if the Texans win AND the Broncos and Ravens also both win next week, Texans will be eliminated

Unless the Bengals lose out, we would have the tie breaker over them.

Lucky
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Unless the Bengals lose out, we would have the tie breaker over them.
The Ravens would have to go 2-0 and the Bengals go 0-2 in your scenario.

HouSportsWriter
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM

well this happend last week who knows the earth may blow up on 12/ 12/ 2012 at 12:12 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~edit !!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

im makeing the prediction now that when the stars aline on 12 12 2012 the texans would be in the playoff race and undefeted but the earth blows up so we dont see the play offs ever!@

ValpoCory
12-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Who would win the tiebreaker between a 9-7 Steelers team and a 9-7 Texans team, assuming no other 9-7 teams tied for 6th place?

Both would have 6-6 conference records.

# Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Texans will have gone 4-1 against the Titans, Raiders, Bengals, and Dolphins.
Steelers will have gone 2-3 against the Titans, Raiders, Bengals, and Dolphins.

I do not think there is a scenario where the Steelers would eliminate the Texans. The Jaguars would have to be involved in a Steelers-Texans 9-7 tie to make the Texans lose out.

sometexansfan
12-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Looks like the Chargers took care of the Tacks for us, come on Texans take care of business this Sunday!

mariowillshine15
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM
1 down and the Texans are sneaking up the wild card standings inch by inch. Lets win Sunday and keep hope alive!

ValpoCory
12-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Titans lose, eliminated from playoff contention.

If the Texans win their last two games, 3 of the following 4 rows need to happen for them to make the playoffs

<The Ravens need to lose at Pittsburgh AND at Oakland> OR <the Ravens win both AND the Bengals lose to the Chiefs and at the Jets> (unlikely)
The Jets need to lose at Indy OR vs. Cincinnati (probable)

The Texans own the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Steelers due to record against common opponents.

TheRealJoker
12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
HUGE win for the Texans playoff hopes tonight!!!

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGERRRRRRRRRRRRRSS!!!

axman40
12-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Go Chargers Go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTpbM3-vsI4
:clap:

ValpoCory
12-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Who would win the tiebreaker between a 9-7 Steelers team and a 9-7 Texans team, assuming no other 9-7 teams tied for 6th place?

Both would have 6-6 conference records.

# Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Texans will have gone 4-1 against the Titans, Raiders, Bengals, and Dolphins.
Steelers will have gone 2-3 against the Titans, Raiders, Bengals, and Dolphins.

I do not think there is a scenario where the Steelers would eliminate the Texans. The Jaguars would have to be involved in a Steelers-Texans 9-7 tie to make the Texans lose out.

Indeed, ESPN just revised their AFC Standings. With the Titans loss, the Texans moved from 12th to 10th, passing Tennessee and Pittsburgh.

jppaul
12-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Titans lose, eliminated from playoff contention.

If the Texans win their last two games, 3 of the following 4 rows need to happen for them to make the playoffs

<The Ravens need to lose at Pittsburgh AND at Oakland> OR <the Ravens win both AND the Bengals lose to the Chiefs and at the Jets> (unlikely)
The Jets need to lose at Indy OR vs. Cincinnati (probable)

The Texans own the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Steelers due to record against common opponents.

Here is how I think it plays out.

I think the Broncos lose to Philly, but KC is highly unlikely. KC is just terrible.

Ravens do lose to Pittsburgh, and Oakland has come through with us so far, so heres crossing my fingers. Oakland has the potential to surprise.

Jets lose to Indy, so they are out. Jaguars lose to New England, so they are out.

Here is an odds calculator that recalculates after every game:

http://www.coolstandings.com/football/football_standings.asp?i=1

Right now we have a 7.8 % chance.

Bottomline is that the only thing we can do is take care of our own business, in this case beating a tough team in the Dolphins, and an even tougher team in the Patriots (provided they are not resting thier starters, it is going to be an uphill battle).

m5kwatts
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
here is how i think it plays out.

I think the broncos lose to philly, but kc is highly unlikely. Kc is just terrible.

Ravens do lose to pittsburgh, and oakland has come through with us so far, so heres crossing my fingers. Oakland has the potential to surprise.

Jets lose to indy, so they are out. Jaguars lose to new england, so they are out.

Here is an odds calculator that recalculates after every game:

http://www.coolstandings.com/football/football_standings.asp?i=1

right now we have a 7.8 % chance.

Bottomline is that the only thing we can do is pray to God and hope He feels sorry for Texans fans and all we've had to put up with to this point.

fify

barrett
12-26-2009, 03:27 AM
and it continues...

Vince looked lights out tonight. I sure am glad we more than likely get to play him twice a year for the next 5-6 years.

But seriously, SD's O looked spectacular against those DB's.

Silver Oak
12-26-2009, 07:54 AM
and it continues...

Vince looked lights out tonight. I sure am glad we more than likely get to play him twice a year for the next 5-6 years.

yet they have a Pro Bowl CB in Finnegan! :kitten:

Goatcheese
12-26-2009, 08:05 AM
If only we had VY we would have already clinched the division. All he does is win!

euro-Texan
12-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I thought he looked rather "tangible."

Lucky
12-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Indeed, ESPN just revised their AFC Standings. With the Titans loss, the Texans moved from 12th to 10th, passing Tennessee and Pittsburgh.
We're #10! We're #10!

Hmm..doesn't look on the screen as good as it sounds.

ObsiWan
12-26-2009, 09:23 AM
We're #10! We're #10!

i dunno... I find the bolded part quietly satisfying

not nearly as fulfilling as "Houston Clinched a WildCard berth", I grant you, but it still brings a slight smile to my face

Wolf
12-26-2009, 09:26 AM
well we need to beat the tuna and pats and let the chips fall:bubbles:

Corrosion
12-26-2009, 09:34 AM

i dunno... I find the bolded part quietly satisfying

not nearly as fulfilling as "Houston Clinched a WildCard berth", I grant you, but it still brings a slight smile to my face

Pasing the two teams I hate the most is quite satisfying .....At least this team is still in it.

BUCK FUD !

SheTexan
12-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Not this year guys. I've already spent my playoff money!!:) BUT, IF the impossible did happen, I would be more than happy to take out a loan!! lol

Yankee_In_TX
12-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Whatever happens to us - this update from last night makes me smile:

DerekLee1
12-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd love to see B'More and Denver lose out and squeak us and P'burgh into the playoffs.

Malloy
12-26-2009, 10:42 AM
and it continues...

I noticed how the commentators mentioned the Chargers new young light O-line... I was thinking 'hmm.. if they can run behing a light line, why cant we?' :)

Malloy
12-26-2009, 10:43 AM
We're #10! We're #10!

And that'll make us WINNERS!!! :)

Honoring Earl 34
12-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I noticed how the commentators mentioned the Chargers new young light O-line... I was thinking 'hmm.. if they can run behing a light line, why cant we?' :)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/sandiegochargers/depthchart?team=SD

Light ... Hardwick is listed at 295 . The next lightest guy is 320 , 323 , 325 , and 336 . Their not trying to do anything fancy , just drive you backwards .

barrett
12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, they didn't look that light to me. Maybe he meant that their jerseys were light in color.

Sal Rosenberg
12-26-2009, 06:44 PM
We are still alive! I am cool with that.

TEXANRED
12-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't see us getting to the post season. Even if all of the teams in front of us lose like I think they will, Baltimore plays Oakland in the last game and Denver plays KC.

Showtime100
12-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep, I haven't been a happy Texan fan since that flop on Monday night vs Tennessee. As I now see Texan fans, for whatever reason, seem to accept mediocrity and even ask for more in the coming year.

Maddict5
12-26-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't see us getting to the post season. Even if all of the teams in front of us lose like I think they will, Baltimore plays Oakland in the last game and Denver plays KC.

oakland have beaten alot of good teams this year- philly, steelers, bengals & denver aswell as playing SD close. i still dont think its impossible for both denver and balti to lose out. we just need to win of course

thunderkyss
12-27-2009, 11:42 AM

-ravens over steelers
-SD over titans
-NE over Jax
-KC over Cincy
-Phi over denver
-Indy over jets
-Hou over Mia

San Diego has eliminated Tennessee. One more domino down.

Mailman
12-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I will be rooting for the Steelers over the Ravens. I just don't see any way the Bengals will lose to the Chiefs and Jets to close out the season at 9-7.