PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin: Even in Defeat, He's Better Than Kubiak

DexmanC
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I just saw his presser on NFL Network:

I like the fight in the guys, and I trust they'll stick together,
but fighting and sticking together is not what wins football games.
Performance IS.

Second Honeymoon
12-10-2009, 11:41 PM
i liked his little speech but they are 0-2 since Tomlin got loose

they have some OL problems and a big Super Bowl hangover too. Lance's dad has been doing it with smoke and mirrors for years and they waited too long to address the low talent level on their OL. Too many injuries and too many defections. Their center (hartwig i believe) is nearly as bad as Chris Myers....not quite, but who is.

one thing is for sure, their season is over. the texans will have the same record as the Steelers if the Kubiak-led Texans win Sunday. that is sad for Steeler fan...just pathetic.

LonerATO
12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
I just saw his presser on NFL Network:

He is just more emotional in his pressers then Kubiak. Belichick is the same way as Kubiak, yet I'm sure you give him leeway since he is a winner. People on these boards should have learned long ago that Kubiak show no emotion when in front of the press.

dtran04
12-11-2009, 12:17 AM
They somehow managed to lose to Cleveland, Kansas City, and Oakland.

I wonder if Steeler fans are ready to bring back the chin. :)

thunderkyss
12-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I pretty much said as much 2 days ago.

I just caught Mike Tomlin's post game speach....

There is a right way, and a wrong way to handle any given situation. Mike Tomlin chose to say this after his most recent loss:
"You've got to acknowledge the potential this can be kind of a shaken group," Tomlin said. "We've swallowed a lot. I'm going to be looking very closely at these men ... in terms of who legitimately is mentally tough and who can stand the test of adversity."

This gives the fans (& the media)reason to believe the head coach is on top of the situation. His whole press conference followed the same tone, with the same message. He doesn't "blame" the players, but you understand it's a performance issue, a "mental" attitude on the field. He also gives you the feeling that he understands the problem, & knows how to fix it. The question why hasn't he addressed it or fixed it yet never comes up, because he fills you with confidence & hope for the future. He buys himself another week free of scrutiny, until we see what he puts on the field next week, & the outcome of that game.

Now, the question is what did he do differently this week than last? Winning wasn't it. Did he sit any body down? Did he bench anyone? I watched the game but I don't know the Steelers well enough to know who normally plays, & who doesn't.

Did he get anything different? Other than losing to another of the worst teams in football. That's 2 for 2 over the last 2 weeks.

I don't think that Tomlin is a bad coach. I really have no idea. They normally don't give HC jobs to bad coaches.

Instead, I use this as proof, that there are somethings that even good teams, & good coaches go through, that will negatively impact that teams W-L column.

6 Super Bowls, more than anybody else, defending champs... yada, yada, yada. They lost 5 games in a row. 1 game to the Raiders. & 1 game to the Browns, & throw in a game to the Bears.

Anyway...
After the eloquent speach he gave last week, what did he do to prepare for this week, & how did that work out for him?

thunderkyss
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
He is just more emotional in his pressers then Kubiak. Belichick is the same way as Kubiak, yet I'm sure you give him leeway since he is a winner. People on these boards should have learned long ago that Kubiak show no emotion when in front of the press.

Belicheck is even worse. At least Kubiak says that it was his fault. Tomlin tells you it's the players fault. Belicheck tells you he's a genius, & things just don't work out the way you planned sometimes.

DiehardChris
12-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Demeanor in a press conference doesn't mean jack sh*t. Some guys don't want to let the media in. Kubiak is one of those guys. I don't have a problem with that. He's a different guy behind closed doors at Reliant. Many players have referenced it over the years.

Gary Kubiak doesn't give a rat's ass what the media thinks of him, and I respect that. You really think he gets in front of players in the meeting room and says "it's all my fault, it's on me, you're all good kids"? Hell no, he lights them up and lets them have it like all coaches in the NFL do.

What we see from him in front of the cameras when he's doing his required media work doesn't mean a damn thing.

LonerATO
12-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Now, the question is what did he do differently this week than last? Winning wasn't it. Did he sit any body down? Did he bench anyone? I watched the game but I don't know the Steelers well enough to know who normally plays, & who doesn't.

Did he get anything different? Other than losing to another of the worst teams in football. That's 2 for 2 over the last 2 weeks.

I don't think that Tomlin is a bad coach. I really have no idea. They normally don't give HC jobs to bad coaches.

Instead, I use this as proof, that there are somethings that even good teams, & good coaches go through, that will negatively impact that teams W-L column.

6 Super Bowls, more than anybody else, defending champs... yada, yada, yada. They lost 5 games in a row. 1 game to the Raiders. & 1 game to the Browns, & throw in a game to the Bears.

Anyway...
After the eloquent speach he gave last week, what did he do to prepare for this week, & how did that work out for him?

I think the loss of Troy is killing this team and they have no running game. Ben could still be suffering the effects of the concussion, but who knows.

houstonspartan
12-11-2009, 02:38 AM

Anyway...

You can't be seriously comparing the Texans to the Pittsburg Steelers.

Do the zillion Super Bowl wins not register with you?

BuffaloglennTX
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Yes you can compare the Texans to the Steelers. Both are AFC teams playing in the NFL in 2009, so hell yes you can compare them. Both have 5-7 records, and both have lost games they were "supposed" to win this year.

Now, looking at the Steelers history, of course the Texans don't measure up. Especially in the "games played" department. Two things that can be gleaned from looking at the Steelers historically are that keeping coaches around for more than four years has been a winning strategy for them, and building a team with an above average defense and average offense can add up to many playoff wins.

El Tejano
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Tomlin calls his guys men and not kids.

HoustonFrog
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes you can compare the Texans to the Steelers. Both are AFC teams playing in the NFL in 2009, so hell yes you can compare them. Both have 5-7 records, and both have lost games they were "supposed" to win this year.

Now, looking at the Steelers history, of course the Texans don't measure up. Especially in the "games played" department. Two things that can be gleaned from looking at the Steelers historically are that keeping coaches around for more than four years has been a winning strategy for them, and building a team with an above average defense and average offense can add up to many playoff wins.

It's because their coaches win SBs and keep the tradition alive. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Kaiser Toro
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
The Steelers have injury issues on both lines, which has annually defined Steeler football. Moreover, they do not have one of the most dominant players on the field in Polamalu.

Tomlin called his team men, and called them soft. Kubiak would coddle or play petty games with players (Slaton).

Texan_Bill
12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
It's because their coaches win SBs and keep the tradition alive. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Really??? 1 Super Bowl in 15 years and it took 14 seasons for that one. Oooooooooooooooooookaaay!!:ok:

HoustonFrog
12-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Really??? 1 Super Bowl in 15 years and it took 14 seasons for that one. Oooooooooooooooooookaaay!!:ok:

Hello...2 SBS...2006 and 2009. All 3 coaches Knoll, Cowher and Tomlin won SBs and Cowher went and lost also. They also made the playoffs a ton. So what was the argument?Knoll was 11-3 his 4th year and had won more games each year he coached until then. Cowher started off winning and carried the tradition for years. They even had a few lean years an then restocked.

Texan_Bill
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Hello...2 SBS...2006 and 2009. All 3 coaches Knoll, Cowher and Tomlin won SBs and Cowher went and lost also. They also made the playoffs a ton. So what was the argument?

Hellllllloooooooooooooooo I was talking about Bill Cowher. He coached 14 years before winning his first, then coached one more after that....

LonerATO
12-11-2009, 10:03 AM

I think Tomlin came in and won with Cowhers players and most of his staff.

LonerATO
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM

A few of Tomlins players are as old as him and I could care less what a coach calls his players

HoustonFrog
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Hellllllloooooooooooooooo I was talking about Bill Cowher. He coached 14 years before winning his first, then coached one more after that....

Well Eff Bill, let me know these things before you start throwing stuff out. I'm just waiting to drink:kitten:

I need holiday cheer :toast2:

Texan_Bill
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Well Eff Bill, let me know these things before you start throwing stuff out. I'm just waiting to drink:kitten:

I need holiday cheer :toast2:

Stay drunk. You never have a hangover. :toast2:

BuffaloglennTX
12-11-2009, 10:22 AM
The Steelers have injury issues on both lines, which has annually defined Steeler football. Moreover, they do not have one of the most dominant players on the field in Polamalu.

Tomlin called his team men, and called them soft. Kubiak would coddle or play petty games with players (Slaton).

So, calling your team "soft men" is better than calling them "kids"? I don't think I understand how referring to your players as men or kids has anything to do with how they play. I've been friends with a couple of former NFL players, and they both have told me that they approach the business of the NFL as a business, don't care what their coaches say or do so long as they get paid.

thunderkyss
12-11-2009, 10:26 AM

You can't seriously have missed the entire point of my post.

Good teams lose. Good coaches lose. Good teams & good coaches can, will & have gone 5-7. Good coaches & teams can, will & have lost 5 games in a row.

The Steelers Super Bowl history has nothing to do with how Mike Tomlin is coaching his team right now. That history has nothing to do with how that team is playing right now.

IF, & the prevalent opinion around her is, you're going to fire your coach because of W-L record, then Mike Tomlin & Tom Coughlin should go, just like Gary Kubiak.

To be honest, the Texans did not lose any games they shouldn't have. None of our losses come against teams that will finish with losing records. The Jets are going to finish at 500 or better. The Titans... well, okay, we did lose to the Titans.

They lost to the Raiders, who are going to lose 2 of the next 4, Denver & Baltimore, & finish 6-10.

They lost to the Browns, who will finish 5-11 if they win out.

They also lost to the Bears who will most likely finish with a losing record as well.

They also lost 5 in a row... which we won't.

Texan_Bill
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
So, calling your team "soft men" is better than calling them "kids"? I don't think I understand how referring to your players as men or kids has anything to do with how they play. I've been friends with a couple of former NFL players, and they both have told me that they approach the business of the NFL as a business, don't care what their coaches say or do so long as they get paid.

That's a bad problem in and of itself. Explains a lot about the NFL.

thunderkyss
12-11-2009, 10:33 AM

The difference with Tomlin is that he's asking a group of men who have been there & done that to step up & act like men.

GK is asking a bunch of guys who have never done it before to grow up & act like men.

& we've got injuries on both sides of the ball, that have yet to define themselves.

& right here on this board, you've got guys like yourself who believe Kubiak "coddled" players like Slaton, & others who believe he was too "heavy handed" with players like Slaton. The man can't win. You've got to look at the reason why this guy, who basically cut players for doing far less than what SS has done, stuck with him for so long.

WWJD
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Maybe Tomlin will end up being like Barry Switzer..come in to a very good team, win a SB and then nothing after that.

Just a thought.

kastofsna
12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe Tomlin will end up being like Barry Switzer..come in to a very good team, win a SB and then nothing after that.

Just a thought.

a little too early to put the dirt on Tomlin just yet

Brando
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM

As long as you stop comparing Gary Kubiak to HWSNBN. :shades:

You know the apples, oranges thing? :)

gtexan02
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow, this thread is lame. Are you really saying you'd rather have Tomlin's performance right now than Kubiak's? Over the past few weeks we've lost to Indy twice (undefeated), Jacksonville (wildcard team), and a rejuvinated Titans.
The Steelers, who were the champs last year, have lost to Oakland, KC, and Cleveland.

This is an absolute joke. If the Texans would have lost to those 3 teams, we'd be going even more bat**** crazy than we already are.

Tomlin has choked that team out of contention. They look totaly unprepared.

Don't give me that Polamalu argument either. That team has 11 players on each side of the ball playing. Good teams find ways to play without their best players. See Colts (Freeney and Sanders gone and still undefeated)

HoustonFrog
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
As long as you stop comparing Gary Kubiak to HWSNBN. :shades:

You know the apples, oranges thing? :)

The problem is, the comparison works. And people took it too literally. Obviously Gary has had more success, etc. The main thing is that the same arguments made for Gary were made for Dave years back. It isn't like I reached on them. I've read the same things here for weeks. Heck, do a search and look at the old DC fights. It is uncanny at times.

Double Barrel
12-11-2009, 04:35 PM

I'd be willing to bet you that the Steelers will be back in the playoffs with Tomlin before the Texans have their first winning season in franchise history under Kubiak.

If you really want to make a valid comparison for Kubiak, quit using coaches with success on their resume. You need somebody like Dick Jauron, who compiled a 21-27 record from 2006-2008, which is almost the same record as Kubiak over the same time span (22-26). The Bills owner, however, expects and demands more from his HC, so Jauron got the boot mid-season, while Kubiak will most likely get another year.

LonerATO
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd be willing to bet you that the Steelers will be back in the playoffs with Tomlin before the Texans have their first winning season in franchise history under Kubiak.

If you really want to make a valid comparison for Kubiak, quit using coaches with success on their resume. You need somebody like Dick Jauron, who compiled a 21-27 record from 2006-2008, which is almost the same record as Kubiak over the same time span (22-26). The Bills owner, however, expects and demands more from his HC, so Jauron got the boot mid-season, while Kubiak will most likely get another year.

I think that if McNair was in the shape that Wilson was in maybe he does fire Kubiak.

beerlover
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM

that's worth a beer for me how about you :barman:

Double Barrel
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I think that if McNair was in the shape that Wilson was in maybe he does fire Kubiak.

lol! This is true, and maybe the reason behind Bud Adams forcing Fisher to play VY earlier this season!

that's worth a beer for me how about you :barman:

I don't drink, but sounds good! Substitute a beer for one of those fancy, overpriced coffees if I should win (which I hope I don't, to be quite honest!).

disaacks3
12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't drink, but sounds good! Substitute a beer for one of those fancy, overpriced coffees if I should win (which I hope I don't, to be quite honest!). It's a shame too DB (I don't drink beer either), Wes makes some FINE homebrew!

Kaiser Toro
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM
& we've got injuries on both sides of the ball, that have yet to define themselves.

& right here on this board, you've got guys like yourself who believe Kubiak "coddled" players like Slaton, & others who believe he was too "heavy handed" with players like Slaton. The man can't win. You've got to look at the reason why this guy, who basically cut players for doing far less than what SS has done, stuck with him for so long.

You obviously have me confused with someone else. Kubiak's handling of Slaton has been off the charts stupid.

beerlover
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't drink, but sounds good! Substitute a beer for one of those fancy, overpriced coffees if I should win (which I hope I don't, to be quite honest!).

it really helps soothe the savage beast :wesmantexanfan:

Texan_Bill
12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
LMFAO!!! Just for some perspective I went to a Steelers Message Board:

Posted by SteelerEmpire
Who agrees with me.....lost to the Chiefs, Raiders and now the 1-11 Browns... I feel comfortable in saying the Pittsburgh Steelers are the worse team in the league... And this is no joke... I am dead serious..... If you lose to the worse, logic dictates that you are the worse.... am I wrong ??

Posted by casteeler
100% , tomlin and arians should lose theie jobs!

Posted by Tony Hipchest
on a positive note...

we beat the lions!

Posted by Super Fan
I think Tomlin treats this team like a college team and you can't do that.....I truly believe they have lost resspect for him........

For those of you who want a little levity: Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44103)

Not to make fun of anyone else (because we're in no place too), but it's nice to see the silliness exists elsewhere too.

thunderkyss
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM

We're going to finish 9-7 this year.

You sure you want to make that bet.

I'm not trying to compare Kubiak to Tomlin.

I'm not trying to compare Kubiak to Tomlin.'

The only reason I bring up Tomlin & the Steelers, is because that is a good team (they fit the definition used on this board. They've been to the play-offs & won a Super Bowl recently). He is a good coach... same definition.

They lost 5 in a row. That's the only comparison I've made.

Good coach, good team Lost 5 in a row. True, the Steelers have history of success behind them. I believe the Texans success is in front of them.

:cow:

kastofsna
12-11-2009, 10:03 PM
to be fair, Arians is reeealllyyy horrible and should definitely lose his job.

but yeah, even Steelers fans can be nuts, like any other team. in fact, the fans of good teams tend to be the craziest when there's any losing streak

Goldensilence
12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4738788

Looks like Steelers fan are goingto get their wish.

Man if only Kubiak had taken the same approach with Dick Smith. Steelers OL has been struggling and it's been killing them.

LonerATO
12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4738788

Looks like Steelers fan are goingto get their wish.

Man if only Kubiak had taken the same approach with Dick Smith. Steelers OL has been struggling and it's been killing them.

Doesnt LZ's dad run their O-line and was hand picked by Tomlin?