PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Pollard Quotes

m5kwatts
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
"We need to be sound in our game,” Pollard said during an interview in the Texans' locker room. “We have to show up and show out. We can’t show up and pee down the leg. I really believe in the last four weeks, we’ve got to put it on the line.”

He's talking to you Chris White!

“It’s just as far as showing up,” he said. “As a team, we have to be able to come together. Sitting at 5-7 right now, the way things have been in the NFL, you never can count yourself out. I actually was just watching TV (before) going into meetings this morning, and we’re still in there. Even if we weren’t, I just think us showing up for our own sake… We show up to pick up our checks – we look at our bank account and we know that the money is in there, so I think we need to show up and play.

“The last four weeks, it has been not us out there. You see flashes of things going on and you see flashes of goodness from the team, but you don’t see it for four quarters. And we need to kind of iron out that bad in us. We have to iron it out, because it can’t be with us.

“I really believe, like I said before, we’ve been sick the last four weeks, and it’s the illness called losing. And we just need to take some of that medication, it’s an antibiotic, it’s a shot, it’s something that we need to take, and I think guys’ eyes are open. You see that this team has never been to the playoffs, you see that this team has done things to be in the playoffs. But we don’t do it for a long period of time. So I think that we’re going to show up. And the thing about showing up, we’ve got to show out with it.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=828

Pollard was the only Texan to show up consistently against the Jags last game. He's absolutely balling lately, the past 4 games he has 41 tackles and 2 INT's... he should be our safety for the next 7-10 years if you ask me.

Thorn
12-10-2009, 07:20 PM
It's scary to think what our defense would have been like without him this year.

jaayteetx
12-10-2009, 07:36 PM
One of my fav players now, for sure, love his attitude.

DexmanC
12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
He's a future leader. Once he gets a taste of the playoffs, he could
be OUR "Brian Dawkins." It's too bad the rest of his teammates are
nothing more than a more-talented "Kansas City Chiefs." It must suck being
one of two players to go balls out every game. The other one is a rookie,
by the way.

thunderkyss
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
He's talking to you Chris White!

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=828

Pollard was the only Texan to show up consistently against the Jags last game. He's absolutely balling lately, the past 4 games he has 41 tackles and 2 INT's... he should be our safety for the next 7-10 years if you ask me.

He was also in that group of guys who couldn't stop MJD on their last possession. He was missing tackles just like all the other defensive leaders (except Mario, because they wouldn't run it to him)

m5kwatts
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
He was also in that group of guys who couldn't stop MJD on their last possession. He was missing tackles just like all the other defensive leaders (except Mario, because they wouldn't run it to him)

I would attribute that more to exhaustion from having to make every tackle before that all 4th quarter. The Jags were blowing past our front 7 running the ball and it was Pollard cleaning up their mess. And whatever missed tackles he may have had, you'd never fault him for not going 100% unlike others on the defense during that last drive.

Kaiser Toro
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Pollard just made the rest of the season interesting for me. A hint of flavor in our annual sprint to mediocrity.

That was friggin awesome, we need more of that and less Kubiak, heck Kubiak's future could use less of him addressing questions. :texflag:

Mr. White
12-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know if he's under contract next year?

If he isn't, it needs to happen yesterday.

False Start
12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Pollard is becoming one of my favorite Texans. I like him because he speaks his mind (within limitations), and he is a great person. Every interview I've seen with him he has always seemed just like a regular guy, and hes a very friendly type too. When he gets on the field though, thats a different story, he brings it on every play.

I still cant believe the Texans were able to get this guy. I consider him the best free agent the Texans have ever signed. I also love that he likes to knock the pi$$ out of people on the gridiron. :wild: http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/deadly-1.gif

m5kwatts
12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know if he's under contract next year?

If he isn't, it needs to happen yesterday.

I searched all over the net for his contract information and its all disclosed... haven't found a single outlet with the terms... if I had to guess I'd say it was a 2 year deal but thats based on absolutely nothing

Mr. White
12-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I searched all over the net for his contract information and its all disclosed... haven't found a single outlet with the terms... if I had to guess I'd say it was a 2 year deal but thats based on absolutely nothing

I'm guessing the same thing. If he isn't under contract next year, seems like our "scoop" Houston media would have mentioned it by now.

Look no further for team leadership.

We just need a Pollard on the offense now.

J_R
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
It's a 1 year deal. He'll be a FA after the season.

The Texans have signed 24-year old safety Bernard Pollard to a 1-year deal. Pollard played in all 16 games for the Chiefs last season and he made 98 tackles, defensed 1 pass, forced 3 fumbles and he picked off a pass. Pollard has played in 48 games in his career and he has made 199 tackles, defensed 9 passes, has 1 sack, forced 5 fumbles and he has 3 interceptions. A big reason the Texans brought him in is because he packs a punch against the running game. The Texans have allowed a whopping 215.0 yards rushing per game this season.

http://www.texanslocker.com/category/free-agent-additions/

DexmanC
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM

This kid just made himself a ton of money. The Texans will have to come
off some coin to keep him.

ArlingtonTexan
12-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Because of his length of time in the league (currently 4th season), he will be a RFA so the Texans won't have pony up silly money. If the CBA changes because of a new agreement this could change, but the uncapped year petty much mean Pollard is here for 2010.

hookinreds
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I like his mentality. He and Wilson did a good job back there, it was like right and left hand were on the same page. I think we lost a lot when Wilson went down, and now Pollard is having to overextend and kills the overall effectivness of the D.

See also: Steeler D without the "hair".

DexmanC
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I like his mentality. He and Wilson did a good job back there, it was like right and left hand were on the same page. I think we lost a lot when Wilson went down, and now Pollard is having to overextend and kills the overall effectivness of the D.

See also: Steeler D without the "hair".

With Troy, that Steelers Defense is Head & Shoulders above the rest!

hookinreds
12-10-2009, 10:44 PM

+10 rep points for that one!

m5kwatts
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Because of his length of time in the league (currently 4th season), he will be a RFA so the Texans won't have pony up silly money. If the CBA changes because of a new agreement this could change, but the uncapped year petty much mean Pollard is here for 2010.

Good deal, although a long term contract would make sense too.... I can't help but think Demeco OD and Dunta would cringe to see another guy get paid who came from somewhere else... although Pollard would be worth every cent and has proven his worth

hookinreds
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Good deal, although a long term contract would make sense too.... I can't help but think Demeco OD and Dunta would cringe to see another guy get paid who came from somewhere else... although Pollard would be worth every cent and has proven his worth

Do you honestly think anyone in the FO cares what Dunta would think...I don't even think Dunta cares what Dunta would think after his season.

False Start
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM

I can see where you're coming from on Demeco. When it comes to Dunta, well I could care less what he thinks. Maybe he can go into show business after his NFL career, do a remake of Magnum P.I., and call it Dunta P.I. :shades:

m5kwatts
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Do you honestly think anyone in the FO cares what Dunta would think...I don't even think Dunta cares what Dunta would think after his season.

I can see where you're coming from on Demeco. When it comes to Dunta, well I could care less what he thinks. Maybe he can go into show business after his NFL career, do a remake of Magnum P.I., and call it Dunta P.I.

Lol, I didn't mean to use Dunta in my post... clearly thats a dirty word on here (as it should be I hope he's gone after this year and we spend his cap number elsewhere)

False Start
12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Lol, I didn't mean to use Dunta in my post... clearly thats a dirty word on here (as it should be I hope he's gone after this year and we spend his cap number elsewhere)

:cool:

Corrosion
12-11-2009, 02:28 AM

Without him they have lost 5 straight ... :user: Its fun to make fun of someone elses losing streak .... especially that of the Steelers who I will hate till the end of my days.

bckey
12-11-2009, 05:58 AM
The Texans sure blew the best year yet to make the playoffs. Most of the usual playoff teams are falling fast. We had one of our easiest schedules yet. Oh well next year we play the NFC east.

BigBull17
12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
The Texans sure blew the best year yet to make the playoffs. Most of the usual playoff teams are falling fast. We had one of our easiest schedules yet. Oh well next year we play the NFC east.

This. Our wait foor next year approach is gonna hurt when all the teams who were down get back up. ****.

Malloy
12-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe he can go into show business after his NFL career, do a remake of Magnum P.I., and call it Dunta P.I. :shades:

Its funny because its true!!! :)

Seriously, Pollard has really impressed me. I am sure that there are better safeties out there, but the selling point for me is his attitude, he is not content with being ok, he wants both himself and his team to excel, and he's not afraid to say it. He's a fans player for sure, but he earns his money on the field too.

If we sign him long term, we'll have our very own 'Dawkins', I say lets do it! :)

Thorn
12-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I would say signing Pollard to a longer contract would be a priority this off season.

Malloy
12-11-2009, 08:17 AM
I would say signing Pollard to a longer contract would be a priority this off season.

Absolutely! If we want more leadership on the field, bingo... we just found it.

HOU-TEX
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM

I'm not going to say this will happen, but it seems like every time we re-sign a S to a multi-year contract they suck the following season.

The dude sure does talk a lot.

jaayteetx
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM

It doesn't matter who we play, because we usually do well against whoever those teams are, the ones we struggle with and the ones we absolutley need to beat are the teams in our own division. 1-5 just ain't gonna cut it.

Malloy
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Honestly I do not care about the schedule at all. Teams fluctuate so much from season to season that it is almost impossible to predict what team will succeed and what team wont.

At this point in time we are a team very capable of beating any other team in the league, we have the players neccessary, and to a degree the coaching, to do this. Unfortunately we also lack so much in experience, call it guts and feel for the game, that we can also lose to any other team in the league.

In fear of angering the 'win or bust'-fanbase, I'd say that for me it is not only a question of if we win a game or not, it is how we do it, our mental 'capability', to remain focussed enough to maintain a lead, or to be willing to grind it out, giving 100% in attempting to get back into a game (regardless of whether we succeed or not).

So, screw the schedule, our problems are, in my point of view, mental, our lack of awareness and focus during games. If we fix this, either by getting players like Pollard who seems like this sort of focussed player, or through coaching changes, IF we fix this we will not only BE able to beat any other team, we WILL beat any other team ALL of the time.

Go teexhuns! :)

BigBull17
12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not going to say this will happen, but it seems like every time we re-sign a S to a multi-year contract they suck the following season.

There is a little difference than he and Demps. Demps wasn't nearly the leader Polard is. We resigned Wilson, but that was a good re-sign, IMO. They should both be back next year, with us drafting Eugene's eventual replacement. maybe the kid from UT if we miss out on Mayes or Berry. Yeah, I want a UT guy. Go figure.

Yankee_In_TX
12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I liked the bits the played on the radio. Having read the whole quote solidifies me wanting to go buy a 31 jersey.

Runner
12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
I liked the bits the played on the radio. Having read the whole quote solidifies me wanting to go buy a 31 jersey.

Don't go overboard. If Smith works his contract negotiation magic again, Pollard might soon be just another greedy, whiney, overrated, easily replaced player.

Then that shirt would be an embarrassment.

houstonspartan
12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
This. Our wait foor next year approach is gonna hurt when all the teams who were down get back up. ****.

Yes. Just like our "it's only one game" attitude from earlier this season is hurting us now. There is a reason why coming out strong with wins is important. Had we nailed the first quarter of this season, these injuries we're seeing now wouldn't hurt us so much and we'd be able to write off one or two losses.

But because we tanked earlier in the season, we can't afford to lose anything.

Man, when I think about this season I get angry. What a total waste.

Texans_Chick
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM

I spoke to him at the Football 101 clinic and told him how much Texan fans appreciate the work he is doing and that they want him back. He says he loves playing for the Texans, wants to be here, and wants to have an agreement with the team. Nothing out of the ordinary other than he was very enthusiastic.

And he was very sweet to my kids. :)

m5kwatts
12-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Pollard was a good safety before he got here though. Its not like we got this no name undrafted free agent from KC and he's become a player here, he was solid in KC, a 2nd round pick, which makes it all the more surprising he was cut there given their lack of talent.

In Demps case, he was playing over his head to begin with. He had one solid season in Baltimore on one of the best defenses in NFL history. The year he was a pro bowl alternate here, he only started I think 8 games. In Eugene Wilson's case, I think he was having his best year this year. I wouldn't mind him starting at FS next year if we can't hit the jackpot with one in the draft (or a guy like Sean Jones in free agency)

Pollard did the same things in KC he's doing here, its just it didn't matter there nor noticed because they lost 10-14 games every year.

houstonspartan
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I spoke to him at the Football 101 clinic and told him how much Texan fans appreciate the work he is doing and that they want him back. He says he loves playing for the Texans, wants to be here, and wants to have an agreement with the team. Nothing out of the ordinary other than he was very enthusiastic.

You just made me like him even more.

Man, I love watching this guy play and love his spirit.

disaacks3
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Anyone who heard his comments on the radio and thinks that everything is hunky-dorey and we should "continue down our current path" is N-U-T-S.

If he sees what (some) of us are seeing -ie. only 1/2 game of football per week., then there's a large problem that needs to be addressed at the management level.

Hmm...What position would you replace to accomplish that task? :thinking:

Porky
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Pollard is not an elite safety like an Ed Reed or Troy P, but to me he is pretty close to that next tier. He's been all that and more against the run, and actually to my eyes better than advertised against the pass. He's smart, agile, tough as nails, hits like a ton of bricks, appears to play within himself and carry out his assisgnment, tpyically doesn't overpursue and generally takes correct angles to the ball carrier. He's really our first Plus player at the safety position in 8 years which is less a compliment to Pollard as it is an indictman on the failure of the organization thru two regimes to even take a stab at solving that position. I mean it's one thing to try and fail, but they haven't even tried. And you can see the difference it makes.

And now I am finding we probably have under-estimated Eugene Wilson who is imo "average" in terms of a starter, but man what a huge dropoff to either Busing or Barber who are special teams players masquearding as legit backups. Again, this is a real failure of the organization to not have a capable backup at safety. Both those guys are barely bottom of the roster ST guys. I think losing Wilson is a real blow to the D because of this failure, which I pin on Kubes and his partner in crime Rick Smith.

New_Texans
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Pollard is not an elite safety like an Ed Reed or Troy P, but to me he is pretty close to that next tier. He's been all that and more against the run, and actually to my eyes better than advertised against the pass. He's smart, agile, tough as nails, hits like a ton of bricks, appears to play within himself and carry out his assisgnment, tpyically doesn't overpursue and generally takes correct angles to the ball carrier. He's really our first Plus player at the safety position in 8 years which is less a compliment to Pollard as it is an indictman on the failure of the organization thru two regimes to even take a stab at solving that position. I mean it's one thing to try and fail, but they haven't even tried. And you can see the difference it makes.

And now I am finding we probably have under-estimated Eugene Wilson who is imo "average" in terms of a starter, but man what a huge dropoff to either Busing or Barber who are special teams players masquearding as legit backups. Again, this is a real failure of the organization to not have a capable backup at safety. Both those guys are barely bottom of the roster ST guys. I think losing Wilson is a real blow to the D because of this failure, which I pin on Kubes and his partner in crime Rick Smith.

that same rick smith that picked up those guys in eugene wilson and Bernard pollard? i think i kinda like this smith guy as a gm.

DexmanC
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
that same rick smith that picked up those guys in eugene wilson and Bernard pollard? i think i kinda like this smith guy as a gm.

Frank Bush has demonstrated his competency, and so has Rick Smith.
Kubiak? Not so much...

Porky
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM

So after 4 years of doing absoueletly nothing of real value at the position, he gets lucky and I am supposed to fawn praise on him? Yay, let's throw a parade. For what? KC made a mistake, and let's not forget if that it wasn't for the secondary coach we have zero idea if Smith even picks him up. He had ties to David Gibbs who coached him in KC and recommended we bring him in. If you want to throw praise on someone, let's praise Gibbs. Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think I will save my praise for the praise-worthy.

BigBull17
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM

My buddy took his fience, and said Pollard was a great guy and very funny. Want to lock him up.

beerlover
12-11-2009, 02:47 PM
So after 4 years of doing absoueletly nothing of real value at the position, he gets lucky and I am supposed to fawn praise on him? Yay, let's throw a parade. For what? KC made a mistake, and let's not forget if that it wasn't for the secondary coach we have zero idea if Smith even picks him up. He had ties to David Gibbs who coached him in KC and recommended we bring him in. If you want to throw praise on someone, let's praise Gibbs. Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think I will save my praise for the praise-worthy.

David Gibbs has made the difference. I'm not sure even if we had "that guy" with Hoke it would have made the same impact, so it may be a blessing in disquise, regardless there is nothing we can do about it.

Starting with the late Sean Taylor, Safety has been a subject of intrigue as a legitimate need worthy of 1st rd. consideration. The problem has been there have been so many needs, building the trenches on both sides of the ball for one. Looking back would you change the 2006 draft? 2007 we should have drafted either a LB Willis or CB in Revis. 2008 the Texans had to address LT & remember in both 07 & 08 the Texans did not have a 2nd rd. pick because of the trade for Schaub from Atlanta. 2009 you want a Safety over Brian Cushing? I was hoping for one in the 2nd (finally had a second round pick again) but those damn Lions took Louis Delmas (FS-#33) Patriots cobbled up Patrick Chung (SS-#33) & insult to injury Bills got Jarius Byrd (FS-#42). Oh yeah Texans picked #46.