PDA

View Full Version : Crist Lobbies Jaguars To Select Tebow In Draft

Wolf
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
TALLAHASSEE (CBS4) ―

Florida governor Charlie Crist believes he has the solution to the attendance problems that continue to plague the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars…draft University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. The UF legend will be eligible for the 2010 draft and is a native of Jacksonville.

The Jaguars home attendance has been an embarrassment to the NFL and every Jacksonville Jaguars home game has been blacked out due to NFL rules. The NFL mandates that games that are not sell-outs be blacked out in the home team's market.

Jacksonville's only hope of seeing the hometown Jaguars on television is when Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts come to town in a few weeks. Even then, most of the fans will be there not to see the Jaguars, but instead there to see Manning and the Colts.

Crist said Monday he talked with the Jaguars ownership about selecting Tebow in the upcoming draft. Crist thinks it would be a means to sell more season tickets and keep the team in Jacksonville. The Jaguars are frequently mentioned as a potential candidate to move to Los Angeles.

http://cbs4.com/sports/tim.tebow.crist.2.1356724.html

:user:

Joe Texan
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Politics does not belong in the NFL

Texans_Chick
12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Unorthodox quarterback who some question how his game will translate to the NFL. CHECK.

Very popular in state with some, maybe not so with others. CHECK.

Played high school ball in same state as team and was a high school legend eventually referred to as "The Chosen One." CHECK

Team already has a quarterback, but many in the fanbase do not think he should be a starting NFL quarterback. They are tired of him. CHECK.

Team is relatively newish and doesn't have a longstanding fanbase. Owner would like to see more fans in the seats. CHECK.

Tebow is the Jaguar's Vince Young.

Not an exact analogy but still.....

TigerWoods..Not
12-08-2009, 06:34 PM
When I saw the title, I think you meant Christ and that the article would go in an entirely different direction

WesmanTexanfan
12-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Did he play his highschool in jacksonville? did jacksonville used to have a franchise and then it moved and could take tebow after jacksonville passses him up? this story sounds familiar...

El Tejano
12-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Only difference is Jags wont be drafting #1 and he will not be taken #3.

thunderkyss
12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
The Jags are drafting Colt McCoy.

Second Honeymoon
12-08-2009, 10:11 PM
definitely some parallels between the two

Vinny
12-09-2009, 12:38 AM
He's a cross between Trent Dilfer and Vince Evans with the personality of Jesus. Kinda a unique prospect.

mariowillshine15
12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
They should take him. It's like the 76ers with Iverson.

They've been going to the playoffs the last few years but cant sell tickets. Iverson comes back boom a sellout. Certain players put people in the seats.

Tebow may not pan out but he will sell tickets.

Hookem Horns
12-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Drafting Tebow instead of for need will be a desperate and unwise move for them. What's he going to do there? Play QB? Tight End?

Sure, he will sell tickets at first however once most Jags fans realize he can't produce at the NFL level the only way Tebow continues to sell tickets is they give him a job in the ticket office.

Corrosion
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
The Jags are drafting Colt McCoy.

I will cry if he beats the Texans twice a year too ...

As for Timmie TV , I dont believe at this point that he's ready for the NFL game but he does have the physical tools and the mental makeup to get there. He (as well as most other rookie QB's) would benifit from playing behind a veteran for a year or three before being thrust into the starting role.

Just take a look at Aaron Rodgers in GB. I would have liked to have seen HHWNBM treated like this - I think his being thrust into the face of the franchise and starters roles at such an early point in his career was his biggest downfall .... A couple guy's who are reminding us a lot of HWWNBM this season - Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan ....

Goldensilence
12-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Honestly I don't see why not.

I don't see him getting drafted before than the second round. It's not like Garrard is playing lights out, your backup is Luke McCown and Tebow won't have to step in immediately.

In the meantime they could hire a guy like Fassel or the to be fired Jim Zorn and slowly bring Tebow along.

Much as I hate Jax, I hate the idea of seeing a city lose a team after having to deal with that.

Also, I can't buy the Carr comparison for Ryan and Flacco. Both have at least matched TD totals from last season already.

Flacco is going to surpass his yard total from last season. Ryan likely won't but has had some injury issues this year that haven't helped. Both are still light years ahead of Carr, not like that's hard.

BigTT
12-09-2009, 04:33 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/08/rumors-fly-that-tebow-to-jags-is-a-done-deal/

The rumor is flying around as you can see.

TimeKiller
12-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Hell yes. Draft the crying bastard so we can whoop up on him instead of having Garrard kill us everytime.

kastofsna
12-09-2009, 08:58 AM
so basically any time a QB plays even remotely poorly everyone here just says they're the next David Carr.

also, Tebow will not be a good NFL quarterback. the novelty will wear off when he sucks at the NFL, no matter how passionate the fans are about him.

Vince Young isn't the proper correlation here; it's Reggie Bush. the Saints drafted him, and just his being drafted put people in the seats and brought on a level of excitement not seen in a while. but, he turned out to be average, and the real story became Drew Brees. in other words, if they want to put people in the seats, it's the same old story: be awesome, and the fans will come

bah007
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
so basically any time a QB plays even remotely poorly everyone here just says they're the next David Carr.

also, Tebow will not be a good NFL quarterback. the novelty will wear off when he sucks at the NFL, no matter how passionate the fans are about him.

Vince Young isn't the proper correlation here; it's Reggie Bush. the Saints drafted him, and just his being drafted put people in the seats and brought on a level of excitement not seen in a while. but, he turned out to be average, and the real story became Drew Brees. in other words, if they want to put people in the seats, it's the same old story: be awesome, and the fans will come

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

disaacks3
12-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Drafting Tebow instead of for need will be a desperate and unwise move for them. What's he going to do there? Play QB? Tight End?

Sure, he will sell tickets at first however once most Jags fans realize he can't produce at the NFL level the only way Tebow continues to sell tickets is they give him a job in the ticket office. If he can Block / Catch the ball, I'd make a TE out of him. Good speed, good durability, good size.

bah007
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
If he can Block / Catch the ball, I'd make a TE out of him. Good speed, good durability, good size.

I wouldn't even let Tebow try out for QB if I drafted him. I would move him straight over to TE or H Back. I think he could be a pro bowler at that position.

Vinny
12-09-2009, 11:12 AM
lol, I keep reading the thread title and for some reason I see, "Christ lobbies Jaguars to select Tebow". I know Tebow is a hell of a guy and still a virgin but come on, if he can get Christ to lobby for him how do the Jags pass on that recommendation?

OzzO
12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
/\ good time to insert a "Breesus saves" icon.

El Tejano
12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
/\ good time to insert a "Breesus saves" icon.

What a way to get a team out in the first round.

Spled
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I think Alabama introduced Tebow to the realities of playing against an NFL defense.