PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster

TimeKiller
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
It's time for him. Slaton is hurting among other issues, I'll cry if I ever see Chris Brown in a Texan uniform again, he offers a big body with a decent college track record and has had time to watch NFL action for a good bit. Let's see what the young man can do. If it's not much what exactly will be lost?

BTW I think Moats is a good RB. It seems like when he runs he turns nothing into 3 yards, 3 into 5 and so on. Brown turns 5 into 3, 3 into nothing and nothing into the dumbest play ever. I was down for more Moats when he ripped up the Bills and I'm down for more Moats now. I'm not holding him up as the answer, just as the best RB on the current roster.

BigBull17
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Yep. No reason for Foster not to get 10 touches this week. That being said, we'll hear the same ol, "should have played the kid more" BS we've heard for 4years. Glenn Martinez , if you like him at all, needs WR snaps as well.

aamcneill
12-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree. I was a big supporter of the Texans taking Foster with a late round pick in the draft (obviously not knowing a lot about his draft rankings) and was happy when they signed him as an undrafted FA. We've got four games left and a very slim shot at the playoffs. Time to see what kind of inventory we've got on the shelves.

m5kwatts
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I for one would like to see Moats start and get 20 carries. Use Slaton to spell Moats as a gadget RB/WR and on 3rd downs. Give Arian 3-5 carries. Take away Brown's parking pass at Reliant and dear God don't let him on the plane for road games.

DexmanC
12-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Apparently, Kubiak like using Chris Brown as an extra guard. In his system,
the runningback only exists to help the quarterback pass the ball better.
If any of the other guys are in the game, then the other team will KNOW
we are trying to run the ball. We can't FOOL them, if Chris Brown isn't in
the game. Don't ya see???

BigBull17
12-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I for one would like to see Moats start and get 20 carries. Use Slaton to spell Moats as a gadget RB/WR and on 3rd downs. Give Arian 3-5 carries. Take away Brown's parking pass at Reliant and dear God don't let him on the plane for road games.

Slaton has a stinger type injury and I think he could be shut down for the year. Maybe trim weight in the offseason. I would go with Foster, Moats, and Henry. Gotta see what u got for next year.

HouSportsWriter
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
10 runs this week and ill be happy

drewmar74
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I had posted this in a thread on Sunday that died on the vine, but here it is again. Still true, IMO...

The more I see Ryan Moats, the more I like him. He's an effort guy. Not the most gifted RB out there and he'll never have what it takes to be "the guy." But he plays hard and makes the most of what he's given.

Flip side of that coin - Chris Brown looks done. Put him out to pasture now please and lets see if we have anything with Arian Foster. It's not like we're relevant in the playoff hunt.

So, yeah, if Slaton is done then please start Ryan Moats and start salting in some Arian Foster so we can see "what's what." Please don't trot Chris Brown out there anymore. If you're going to do that shit, you might as well just bring back Ron Dayne. Chris Brown makes me long for the Dayne Train.

badboy
12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry, who?

Ranger Tom
12-08-2009, 04:35 PM
He shares a name with a successful hockey player, so it took a while to track him down. I was able to find this. (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/arian-foster?id=79555)

Vinny
12-08-2009, 04:37 PM
His Mother posts here...nice lady

Thorn
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
I've been wanting to see what Foster can do for some time now.

drewmar74
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Thorn - I'd like to see what you could do. Could you fall down at the los? Maybe throw a pick on a halfback pass? I'm thinking you have what it takes to start at RB for the Texans.

WesmanTexanfan
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
wow, i honestly forgot all about this guy on the roster.... a spec of intrigue left in the season..... besides figuring out how we are going to make the Pats game meaningfull and get as big a lead as possible on brady before colllapsing.....

Thorn
12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Thorn - I'd like to see what you could do. Could you fall down at the los? Maybe throw a pick on a halfback pass? I'm thinking you have what it takes to start at RB for the Texans.

What's the NFL minimum salary these days? whatever it is, I know I could fall down, fumble, and throw stupid halfback passes with the best of them. :)

TimeKiller
12-09-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry, who?

Arian Foster, the best effort they made to bring in a RB this year (UDFA). He's got as big of a body as Chris Brown but if he tried a juke move or a stiff arm he would be a light year ahead of CB in the RB skills department. Oh and I believe he could outrun a D made of grandmothers so he's got that over CB too.

Vinny
12-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Arian Foster, the best effort they made to bring in a RB this year (UDFA). He's got as big of a body as Chris Brown but if he tried a juke move or a stiff arm he would be a light year ahead of CB in the RB skills department. Oh and I believe he could outrun a D made of grandmothers so he's got that over CB too.
he looked pretty good in the preseason. He was elusive in short space and had burst around the edge. He fumbled the ball once and we never saw him again.

TimeKiller
12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Even if he fumbles, what exactly is lost? We've dealt with ineffectiveness and fumbling all year so seeing if someone else can do something different shouldn't be a trip. Put the kid in Kubiak.

Mailman
12-09-2009, 02:28 PM
http://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/6505140579

BigBull17
12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
he looked pretty good in the preseason. He was elusive in short space and had burst around the edge. He fumbled the ball once and we never saw him again.

He didn't have the black mail stuff Brown had. thats the only explanation for C Brown still being an everyday player.

drewmar74
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
http://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/6505140579

Can't get there from here...... what does it say?

JB
12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Can't get there from here...... what does it say?

Rookie RB Arian Foster is "fixing to get very much involved," per Kubiak. Foster is in line to get some touches on Sunday
about 2 hours ago from Echofon
NickScurfield

drewmar74
12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Rookie RB Arian Foster is "fixing to get very much involved," per Kubiak. Foster is in line to get some touches on Sunday
about 2 hours ago from Echofon
NickScurfield

Thanks, JB

I was "fixing to get very much aggravated" if that wasn't the case.

JB
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks, JB

I was "fixing to get very much aggravated" if that wasn't the case.

Your welcome

And go ahead and prepare to be "fittin to be aggra.....mad"

Thorn
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
I just want to know if Foster is any good, that's all. If he isn't, then so be it, I would just like to see him get a shot. We already know out of the current crop of running backs only Moats has shown us anything.

Texans_Chick
12-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Latest presser suggests that game day will be Chris Brown, Ryan Moats, Arian Foster.

I hope the Texans have the sort of game where they can actually getting meaningful carries for three running backs, but I doubt it because it is has happened so rarely this season.

I'm interested to see what sorts of things Foster can do. He had a big Jr season at TN, but a poor Sr season because the entire offense for TN was a huge mess.

mariowillshine15
12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Latest presser suggests that game day will be Chris Brown, Ryan Moats, Arian Foster.

I hope the Texans have the sort of game where they can actually getting meaningful carries for three running backs, but I doubt it because it is has happened so rarely this season.

I'm interested to see what sorts of things Foster can do. He had a big Jr season at TN, but a poor Sr season because the entire offense for TN was a huge mess.

Every carry Chris Brown gets becomes one less for Foster and Henry.

We already know Brown sucks and Moats is serviceable but we need to see what we have in the other 2.

TimeKiller
12-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Chris Brown needs to be cut. I really doubt that he could do better than I could as a RB. I mean, grip the ball tight and run forward making one of the weakest cut moves anybody has ever seen and getting tackled by the first defender there? Yes, I truly believe I as well as most people with the balls to get hit by a real NFL LBer could do the same things that Chris Brown can do.

AF should get 5-7 this game and go from there. I could take or leave Henry but seeing what we have now in order to make the appropriate changes for next year should be the focus, not saving any jobs by winning 3/4 games left.

He can't possibly be worse than CB. The only outcome that will differ from what is on tap now is that he blows up and solidifies himself as a player for next year.

This thread is about the young man Foster but I'd like to see some more changes getting thrown in. Caldwell taking on the lion share of RG snaps. Barwin getting in on some more snaps. Quin if he can go getting in more, possibly using him as the FS. Deljuan getting a fair shake for once. Give Okam an ultimatim, kick ass or get cut. JJ getting some more action. Something different.

Wolf6151
12-10-2009, 11:20 AM
When Arian Foster, Ryan Moats and Chris Brown all have a terrible game is everyone going to blame it on the RB or will yall realize that no one is going anywhere unless our O-line opens some holes which they have been unable to do all year. I don't think the problems with our running game are because of an ineffective RB but because of an ineffective O-line. Our O-line sucks.

Vinny
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
When Arian Foster, Ryan Moats and Chris Brown all have a terrible game is everyone going to blame it on the RB or will yall realize that no one is going anywhere unless our O-line opens some holes which they have been unable to do all year. I don't think the problems with our running game are because of an ineffective RB but because of an ineffective O-line. Our O-line sucks.
Arian Foster - undrafted street free agent
Ryan Moats - journeyman back who has never been a feature back in the NFL
Chris Brown - Cut by the Titans 3 years ago since he was washed up.

we don't have talent at RB or from G to G - its both.

badboy
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Arian Foster, the best effort they made to bring in a RB this year (UDFA). He's got as big of a body as Chris Brown but if he tried a juke move or a stiff arm he would be a light year ahead of CB in the RB skills department. Oh and I believe he could outrun a D made of grandmothers so he's got that over CB too.Sorry, my sad attempt at humor. I was spit in the corner mad when we drafted two tight ends and no RB. Foster has size and desire but can't get on the field. I also want to see what he can do. If you were GK and your job was on the line, would you honestly start a UDFA back? I am not sure I would even play him unless we were way ahead in score. If way behind I prob would give him a play or two. Problem with many RBs they need a few attempts just to get a feel.

badboy
12-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I'm interested to see what sorts of things Foster can do. He had a big Jr season at TN, but a poor Sr season because the entire offense for TN was a huge mess.TC, your the head coach, fans are screaming for your job and maybe your head. You have four games to salvage your job. How many plays does Foster get? Do you start him or work him in depending on how game is going?

badboy
12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Chris Brown needs to be cut. I really doubt that he could do better than I could as a RB. I mean, grip the ball tight and run forward making one of the weakest cut moves anybody has ever seen and getting tackled by the first defender there? Yes, I truly believe I as well as most people with the balls to get hit by a real NFL LBer could do the same things that Chris Brown can do.

AF should get 5-7 this game and go from there. I could take or leave Henry but seeing what we have now in order to make the appropriate changes for next year should be the focus, not saving any jobs by winning 3/4 games left.

He can't possibly be worse than CB. The only outcome that will differ from what is on tap now is that he blows up and solidifies himself as a player for next year.

This thread is about the young man Foster but I'd like to see some more changes getting thrown in. Caldwell taking on the lion share of RG snaps. Barwin getting in on some more snaps. Quin if he can go getting in more, possibly using him as the FS. Deljuan getting a fair shake for once. Give Okam an ultimatim, kick ass or get cut. JJ getting some more action. Something different.Kubiac has convince me that Brown worth is not in his running ability but his blocking. Moats and Foster allegedly can't pick up the D successfully.

TimeKiller
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
TC, your the head coach, fans are screaming for your job and maybe your head. You have four games to salvage your job. How many plays does Foster get? Do you start him or work him in depending on how game is going?

I see your point about how relying on an UDFA can be bad but...the RB Kubiak is going with is bad.

Kubiac has convince me that Brown worth is not in his running ability but his blocking. Moats and Foster allegedly can't pick up the D successfully.

Well, I guess this is the giant disconnect I am starting to have with Kubiak. Our "best" RB has better blocking skills than running skills. That's stupid man, just plain and simple stupid. But I guess it goes with having OL who are better at being faster than average OL than blocking. DTs who are better at running past a play or not being strong enough to take on blockers than guys who can stand ground and destroy running games. CBs who are better at hitting than covering. Put your best runner in at RB, not the best blocker. I know the OL is crap, it wasn't special before they lost 2 guys but Ryan Moats has shown he can still pull a few yards out of his hat. Arian Foster can't possibly be worse than Chris Brown. Ahman Green and Ron Dayne laugh at Chris Brown's skills.

Vinny
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Kubiac has convince me that Brown worth is not in his running ability but his blocking. Moats and Foster allegedly can't pick up the D successfully.
he may as well put a offensive lineman back there if that is what he really wants a back for.

DerekLee1
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
he may as well put a offensive lineman back there if that is what he really wants a back for.

Backs always have dual roles. Three if you count receiving. Kubiak's system requires backs that can make one cut and hit the hole AND block for passing downs. The system relies on playactions and bootlegs, meaning the backs HAVE to be able to block when called upon. If Foster can't block, how is AJ going to get deep? If the defense KNOWS he can't block, they send an extra man and Schaub gets creamed. Or they line up 8 in the box because they know he's running (and rush 6 if he doesn't). If the back can block, it opens up those passing plays. If not, this team becomes one dimensional.

TimeKiller
12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Backs always have dual roles. Three if you count receiving.

Four if you count passing.

TheRealJoker
12-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Four if you count passing.

Ouch :(

TimeKiller
12-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey it's not my system. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Redtexan#34
12-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I know everybody has seen this video before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfvypWLokk I thought i would put in this thread. Wouldn't it be awesome if he went for 100yrds with his 5 carries lol. That would say a lot about Kubiaks judge of talent. Kubiak let Bell go to the saints. I wonder if Kuniak was in charge if Terrel Davis would have got a shot.

Vinny
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Backs always have dual roles. Three if you count receiving. Kubiak's system requires backs that can make one cut and hit the hole AND block for passing downs.
oh really? Thanks for the heads up.

dalemurphy
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM

Yeah, I like it. I've been trying to get Rashod Butler some playing time for two seasons. Besides, at only 6'6", I bet he has lower pad level when running through holes. And, he may be a little more explosive. I know for a fact that he's a better passer!

JB
12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I like it. I've been trying to get Rashod Butler some playing time for two seasons. Besides, at only 6'6", I bet he has lower pad level when running through holes. And, he may be a little more explosive. I know for a fact that he's a better passer!

???

TimeKiller
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I know everybody has seen this video before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfvypWLokk I thought i would put in this thread. Wouldn't it be awesome if he went for 100yrds with his 5 carries lol. That would say a lot about Kubiaks judge of talent. Kubiak let Bell go to the saints. I wonder if Kuniak was in charge if Terrel Davis would have got a shot.

I never saw that. Tell me if what I'm seeing is wrong here, I see a big guy who isn't going to win many footraces but found the holes, powered through them, had a cut or juke for another defender and used his mass to run over another guy. I mean I know it's a highlight reel but I don't believe he isn't doing something similar in practice. I certainly don't believe Chris Brown is looking faster, meaner or better at this point

valleytexfan
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Thoughts? I thought he was solid today. Good burst and he caught the ball out of the backfield well.

eriadoc
12-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I thought he showed well, within the context of we just don't have a running game to speak of. He did some things well, but he did the typical rookie RB thing twice. On two plays, he tried to run sideways to elude a defender, when at that point in the run he needed to just lower his shoulder and deliver the pain. I sure as hell would like to see more of him.

edo783
12-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Fair, just fair.

Big Lou
12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
???

I think he means compared to Chris Brown, and I'd have to agree with him....

Norg
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Foster had moments of Yay and moments of Uhhh this guy sucks

some guy in the stands said we should just get rid of all 3 of our RB and start over again LOL

i was like thats not a bad idea they all kinda suck in there own way

Hagar
12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I thought he showed well, within the context of we just don't have a running game to speak of. He did some things well, but he did the typical rookie RB thing twice. On two plays, he tried to run sideways to elude a defender, when at that point in the run he needed to just lower his shoulder and deliver the pain. I sure as hell would like to see more of him.Allow me to change this to "we just don't have an o-line to speak of". Foster showed good burst and a will to push people around. Good thing too, because there usually wasn't a hole for him to run through.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about this zone blocking system.

mexican_texan
12-13-2009, 10:34 PM
He looks like he's better in the passing game than Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts against the lowly Rams.

Corrosion
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm starting to have second thoughts about this zone blocking system.

Ive had doubts about it since the first day it was run here in Houston ... This system cant get a push when they have to , running between the 20's .... dont score TD's.

BigBull17
12-14-2009, 08:21 AM

Or Leech. Makes very little sense for Brown to get sooooo many reps. He is awful.

BigBull17
12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I thought he showed well, within the context of we just don't have a running game to speak of. He did some things well, but he did the typical rookie RB thing twice. On two plays, he tried to run sideways to elude a defender, when at that point in the run he needed to just lower his shoulder and deliver the pain. I sure as hell would like to see more of him.

Every back we have save Moats is bad about this. 2 yard gain is better than no gain or loss of yards. Thats what makes good running backs better. Knowing when the play is dead.

Thorn
12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
We got our look at Foster, and he was only so-so. Our RB situation is not good, partly because of the oline not being up to speed, and partly because we just don't have any really good backs. It'll take fixing the oline AND getting a good RB to get this problem resolved. Fixing just one of them won't get it done.

Hervoyel
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know, I thought he looked like he might be pretty good if he had a hole or two to run through. I saw enough to know that I want to see more of Arian Foster.

Thorn
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Moats and Foster both show promise, I'll grant that. It would be interesting to see how good they do behind a decent line. Fixing the line would go a long way to helping our RBs, but I still think we need to spend a high draft pick on a RB.

Which will never happen with the present staff, of course, so hopefully they at least fix the line for next year.

HoustonFrog
12-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Moats and Foster both show promise, I'll grant that. It would be interesting to see how good they do behind a decent line. Fixing the line would go a long way to helping our RBs, but I still think we need to spend a high draft pick on a RB.

Which will never happen with the present staff, of course, so hopefully they at least fix the line for next year.

I agree. I just like seeing guys whose motor is running and who hit holes. Sometimes there is space and sometimes a collision. With Chris Brown I feel like I'm watching a sloth get engulfed by 5-6 players and then the play just stops.

BigBull17
12-14-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree. I just like seeing guys whose motor is running and who hit holes. Sometimes there is space and sometimes a collision. With Chris Brown I feel like I'm watching a sloth get engulfed by 5-6 players and then the play just stops.

Unless he trips and the yard lines tackle him. Brown is terrible.

badboy
12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
he may as well put a offensive lineman back there if that is what he really wants a back for.Exactly. Seems like we usually have a TE, a full back and Brown blocking for QB. Our running game was nothing to brag about against Seattle.

HOU-TEX
12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Our running game still stinks. The Oline and RBs should get equal blame for the suckage. A team that can't run the ball when they need to in order to put the game away will not go very far. There's no doubt in my mind that if we were playing a winning team yesterday, they would've came back and made it a nail-biter or won it in the 4th.

beerlover
12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Our running game still stinks. The Oline and RBs should get equal blame for the suckage. A team that can't run the ball when they need to in order to put the game away will not go very far. There's no doubt in my mind that if we were playing a winning team yesterday, they would've came back and made it a nail-biter or won it in the 4th.

thats all true, so what is Kubiak/Smith gonna do about it?

HOU-TEX
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Say we're busting our tails to get it right? Sign 2 UDFA's after the draft, sign them to the PS, start Brown because of his ability to pick up the blitz and not give any of the other RBs a shot until the games mean nothing?

beerlover
12-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Say we're busting our tails to get it right? Sign 2 UDFA's after the draft, sign them to the PS, start Brown because of his ability to pick up the blitz and not give any of the other RBs a shot until the games mean nothing?

thats all true so again. lets assume they've learned a lesson (not addressing running game will cost them their job) is there any chance they can change things with one more year to work with or your of the opinion its completely pointless & hopeless they can correct issue?

HOU-TEX
12-14-2009, 10:32 AM
thats all true so again. lets assume they've learned a lesson (not addressing running game will cost them their job) is there any chance they can change things with one more year to work with or your of the opinion its completely pointless & hopeless they can correct issue?

My sarcasm aside:

I definitely think they can get it right again with or without Kubiak. Heck, they've shown us before (08 season) that they can run the ball. The problem I have is the fact they've yet to get it figured out for almost an entire season. Are Pitts and Brisiel a reason? Probably. Are mediocre RBs a problem? Probably. Is going into a season relying on a possible 1 year wonder 3rd down back a problem? Probably.

Two of the 3 possible problems fall on coaching, IMO. Given the history of Kubiak and his mentor, it's going to take finding a diamond in the rough RB on the 2nd day because he won't be drafting any on the 1st day. So unless Kubiak decides to cut the cord from Shanny Sr., we'll likely be in the same boat next season.

badboy
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
The good thing is this draft should allow us to pick up an OG to replace Studdard. Caldwell should be the RG with little if any rotation. Brisiel should beat out Chris White. Myers unfortunately will remain at center if we keep the ZBS. I would like to see us pick up C/G Thomas Austin from Clemson 6'4"310 but doubt he will be there in 5th as I project. If we could get Haden in first, that would allow me to move Austin to 4th.

1. Haden (for DR) 2. Asamoah LG (for Studdard) 3. Gerhart 4. Austin.

steelbtexan
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM

1.Sign Ronnie Brown in FA
2. Draft 2 OL in Rds 1-3
3. Sign one vet. OL in FA (Mawae would be my choice)
4. Draft a RB in Rd 4/5 (Hardesty,Dixon or Tate one should be available)

It's all about resources and $.

How much capital are the Texans willing to spend to fix a long standing problem?

I would spend whatever it takes but I'm just a fan.

Brown,Slaton and Hardesty look alot better than what is currently on the roster.

With Brown you could also run some wildcat in GL situations.

Needs

1. OL
2. DB
3. RB
4. DT

steelbtexan
12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
The good thing is this draft should allow us to pick up an OG to replace Studdard. Caldwell should be the RG with little if any rotation. Brisiel should beat out Chris White. Myers unfortunately will remain at center if we keep the ZBS. I would like to see us pick up C/G Thomas Austin from Clemson 6'4"310 but doubt he will be there in 5th as I project. If we could get Haden in first, that would allow me to move Austin to 4th.

1. Haden (for DR) 2. Asamoah LG (for Studdard) 3. Gerhart 4. Austin.

That would be a great draft.

Although I like Lauvao (SP) more than Austin. He is more versatile.

beerlover
12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
My sarcasm aside:

I definitely think they can get it right again with or without Kubiak. Heck, they've shown us before (08 season) that they can run the ball. The problem I have is the fact they've yet to get it figured out for almost an entire season. Are Pitts and Brisiel a reason? Probably. Are mediocre RBs a problem? Probably. Is going into a season relying on a possible 1 year wonder 3rd down back a problem? Probably.

Two of the 3 possible problems fall on coaching, IMO. Given the history of Kubiak and his mentor, it's going to take finding a diamond in the rough RB on the 2nd day because he won't be drafting any on the 1st day. So unless Kubiak decides to cut the cord from Shanny Sr., we'll likely be in the same boat next season.

you know of course Kubiak openly stated they had their eye on taking Glen Coffee in 3rd #77 (49'ers #74). well, so they didn't use a draft pick on a RB they picked up Arian Foster a very close comp for nothing. I'm not so sure if this is a knock on their abiltiy to evaualte RB talent or reflection to maximize value, probably combination of both?

What your really saying is the Texans need to change their draft board priortizing. I think your right & change is in good order if for no other reason their hand is forced. :slapfight:

badboy
12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

Although I like Lauvao (SP) more than Austin. He is more versatile.
Austin rated as #4 OG by Phil Steele and #1 Center by Mel Kiper. I will try to find the links.
Also, Walters on Nov 7th had Gerhart rated as 7th best back. I' m sure he has moved up some.http://walterfootball.com/draft2008P.php

badboy
12-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Although I like Lauvao (SP) more than Austin. He is more versatile.Interesting ranking of guards in October. http://walterfootball.com/draft2010OG.php

dalemurphy
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
My sarcasm aside:

In 2006, they attempted to trade up into the 1st round and get Deangelo Williams. Unfortunately, Buffalo outbid for that spot so they could get McCargo and Carolina took Williams the next pick.

So, I don't think he's opposed to taking a RB early.. they took Slaton in the 3rd and would've drafted Glen Coffee or Shonn Greene in the 3rd had they slipped to them, according to Kubiak.

Of course, none of that answers why they went into the season relying of Chris Brown and Ryan Moats. I was frustrated with their inaction this last off-season in addressing the RB and Safety position.

TimeKiller
12-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Didn't see the game but the stats looked alright. I think having a stable of Moats, Slaton, Foster and possibly another midround/free agent pickup while spending the higher draft picks/big signings on the interior line would go a lot farther towards fixing the run game than signing/drafting a big name RB. That's my vote anyway but one or the other HAS to happen this offseason.

Brisco_County
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Slaton needs to be our guy. He had an off season, and will earn his status back in 2010. He has too much ability not to. I would also like to see a Slaton/Foster rotation next year.

It would be nice if we got a center in the first round instead of a DT, depending on who fits our system at 1st round value.

badboy
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Slaton needs to be our guy. He had an off season, and will earn his status back in 2010. He has too much ability not to. I would also like to see a Slaton/Foster rotation next year.

It would be nice if we got a center in the first round instead of a DT, depending on who fits our system at 1st round value.I wonder if Slaton's increase in weight effected his production this season? You may get to see Foster next season if does well at blocking because Brown has proved you don't have to be a runner to get reps. Also look for another beat up free agent who might get you 400 yards and a first or two if he can get on the field.