PDA

View Full Version : 1st hand observations from todays game

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
First and foremost, this is a PRO- Kubiak, Pro- Schaub post. If you've been listening to 610 and agree with that swill than please ignore this.

I arrived to the game today full of piss and vinegar in full knowledge that we were going to destroy the Jags and avenge our home loss earlier this year. My lovely wife pleaded with me to refrain from sh*t talking for obvious reasons.

Well, I didn't start a thing. I quietly bit my tongue when Schaub went down on the first play to low class crowd banter and cheering. Then the beer kicked in a bit. I openly cheered and possibly taunted everyone in my section after the goal-line stand and other great plays. Even though without Schaub in the game I figured our chances at victory were slim at best.

Anyway, we're getting our butts kicked and everyone in my section is whooping and hollering, then suddenly my entire sections becomes eerily quiet at once. An inbred hillbilly behind me says, " oh no, look who's back." I then see Schaub sprinting from the tunnel and with a substantial lead the Jags fans are almost conceding the imminent defeat. That alone got me excited and back into the game (not that I ever left). What surprised me the most is that their reaction was as if Manning or Brady had just walked onto the field. It was then that I truly realized just how much we take this guy for granted.

I got home from the game tonight and promptly turned on 610.com and have had to stomach all of this CRAP about how this team didn't want to win today. What a load of CRAP! That is not what I saw today. Kubiak made some gutsy plays, obviously the HB pass in the endzone didn't pan out, but that is what we want. We have bitched and complained about him not having the killer instinct and playing timid. He went for the throat today and it just didn't work out. Had JJ played we might not have started in such terrible field position all day, but Kubes took a stand and I won't second guess him for it.

I'm pissed and upset that we lost, but not nearly as upset after listening to all of this monday morning CRAP that is spewing from 610

stingray
12-06-2009, 07:49 PM
First and foremost, this is a PRO- Kubiak, Pro- Schaub post. If you've been listening to 610 and agree with that swill than please ignore this.

I arrived to the game today full of piss and vinegar in full knowledge that we were going to destroy the Jags and avenge our home loss earlier this year. My lovely wife pleaded with me to refrain from sh*t talking for obvious reasons.

Well, I didn't start a thing. I quietly bit my tongue when Schaub went down on the first play to low class crowd banter and cheering. Then the beer kicked in a bit. I openly cheered and possibly taunted everyone in my section after the goal-line stand and other great plays. Even though without Schaub in the game I figured our chances at victory were slim at best.

Anyway, we're getting our butts kicked and everyone in my section is whooping and hollering, then suddenly my entire sections becomes eerily quiet at once. An inbred hillbilly behind me says, " oh no, look who's back." I then see Schaub sprinting from the tunnel and with a substantial lead the Jags fans are almost conceding the imminent defeat. That alone got me excited and back into the game (not that I ever left). What surprised me the most is that their reaction was as if Manning or Brady had just walked onto the field. It was then that I truly realized just how much we take this guy for granted.

I got home from the game tonight and promptly turned on 610.com and have had to stomach all of this CRAP about how this team didn't want to win today. What a load of CRAP! That is not what I saw today. Kubiak made some gutsy plays, obviously the HB pass in the endzone didn't pan out, but that is what we want. We have bitched and complained about him not having the killer instinct and playing timid. He went for the throat today and it just didn't work out. Had JJ played we might not have started in such terrible field position all day, but Kubes took a stand and I won't second guess him for it.

I'm pissed and upset that we lost, but not nearly as upset after listening to all of this monday morning CRAP that is spewing from 610

If this team was 7-5 after this loss instead of 5-7, I would agree with this post.

TheRealJoker
12-06-2009, 07:53 PM

That 3rd and 3 run up the middle with Brown was quite the gutsy call as well...

Face it, Kubiak and Lil Shanny outsmarted themselves.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Look, DENVER is a winning team and Pitsburg and New England got beat by much lesser teams. I can attribute Pitts demise to the loss of a single player (palama????????) Why is it so easy to discount the loss of half our O-line, #1 Running Back, Safety.....

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
That 3rd and 3 run up the middle with Brown was quite the gutsy call as well...

Face it, Kubiak and Lil Shanny outsmarted themselves.

Well hindsight is 20/20 isn't it.

TheRealJoker
12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Look, DENVER is a winning team and Pitsburg and New England got beat by much lesser teams. I can attribute Pitts demise to the loss of a single player (palama????????) Why is it so easy to discount the loss of half our O-line, #1 Running Back, Safety.....

You're right... DENVER is winning with a rookie HC after getting rid of Kubiak's mentor. Maybe we should follow their blueprint? We are Denver South after all...

Jackie Chiles
12-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Haven't been listening to 610 today but not too many people going after Schaub on this board from what I can tell. He had a pretty gutsy game. If you want to defend the coaches on this one I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Haven't been listening to 610 today but not too many people going after Schaub on this board from what I can tell. He had a pretty gutsy game. If you want to defend the coaches on this one I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Maybe your right. I have just have yet to see the rational in arguments that a better Coach could have willed Kris Brown to make those field goals or inspired our backs not to fumble on the goalline. I'm sure starting over with a new regime and all of the player turnover associated with it will provide instant results. At least it will provide plenty of fodder for everyone to come on here and ***** about the team

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
You're right... DENVER is winning with a rookie HC after getting rid of Kubiak's mentor. Maybe we should follow their blueprint? We are Denver South after all...

True, that is flash in the pan results. Like Atlenta and Baltimore had after one year with their rookie QB's. Everyone was saying ohh that's the answer, but it is inconsistant with long term success.

TexansFight
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd rather have ONE FLASH IN THE PAN PLAYOFF SEASON than the monotonous crap we have had every frigging year. PLAYOFF YEAR PLEASE DAMN IT

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd rather have ONE FLASH IN THE PAN PLAYOFF SEASON than the monotonous crap we have had every frigging year. PLAYOFF YEAR PLEASE DAMN IT

Well... I'm glad you are not our GM. We can all stick our collective heads up our asses and beg for Kubiaks walking papers. We will cheer for the 3 seconds that he is on the street and spend a generation laughed at for it. Yeahhhhhh!

TheRealJoker
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
True, that is flash in the pan results. Like Atlenta and Baltimore had after one year with their rookie QB's. Everyone was saying ohh that's the answer, but it is inconsistant with long term success.

Is consistent mediocrity what you're shooting for?

DexmanC
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Actually, the callers on 610 are giving the entire team a pass, with the
exception of Kubiak. Schaub and Dre are extremely pissed the coaches
decided to go with a halfback option pass on 1st down at the 10, instead
of giving the ball to their playmakers. The coaches snatched the game from
Schaub and the offense, and handed it to the Jags.

Runner
12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe your right. I have just have yet to see the rational in arguments that a better Coach could have willed Kris Brown to make those field goals or inspired our backs not to fumble on the goalline.

A better coach makes the success/failure of a game being determined by one bad play more of a rarity than a regular occurrence. The Texans don't lose (or miss a tie) by missed field goals less often, because in those games they are running out the clock with a ten point lead, not positioning for a field goal with time running out.

PHAROAH
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Man it's time to move on guys Kubiak is a very good offensive mind but he can't get this team up for big games. I will also say that the injury to Owen Daniels is killing the offense in a big way and Steve Slatons horrible year is killing the running game as well but kubes is the head guy and he will pay the price.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Well of course. Please, We have been losers since our inception. We ran the last team out because they were losers. How many times have you heard some drunk guy on the radio bitching about how he's been a fan since Dan Pastorini was the Oilers QB? Kubes has had three seasons plus this year. Our W/L ratio hasn't improved that much, but our team has. Mediocraty? No. This team will be winners. When Kubes gets run out of town to be a coord. somewhere else, you think he takes Schaub or Johnson with him. It is the Denver way.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
A better coach makes the success/failure of a game being determined by one bad play more of a rarity than a regular occurrence. The Texans don't lose (or miss a tie) by missed field goals less often, because in those games they are running out the clock with a ten point lead, not positioning for a field goal with time running out.

Well that's a good point. Our owner should just look for coaches who will never play a close game. Are you guys serious?

TexansFight
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Well... I'm glad you are not our GM. We can all stick our collective heads up our asses and beg for Kubiaks walking papers. We will cheer for the 3 seconds that he is on the street and spend a generation laughed at for it. Yeahhhhhh!

Are you an Aggie? You definitely sound like an Aggie. Aggie Fail is strong in this one.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Are you an Aggie? You definitely sound like an Aggie. Aggie Fail is strong in this one.

ROLL TIDE ROLL! I only support one team from Texas. My college teams is a winner, not aggie at all.

Goldensilence
12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Well of course. Please, We have been losers since our inception. We ran the last team out because they were losers. How many times have you heard some drunk guy on the radio bitching about how he's been a fan since Dan Pastorini was the Oilers QB? Kubes has had three seasons plus this year. Our W/L ratio hasn't improved that much, but our team has. Mediocraty? No. This team will be winners. When Kubes gets run out of town to be a coord. somewhere else, you think he takes Schaub or Johnson with him. It is the Denver way.

Schaub possibly, it is the halfway point if we pick up the rest of the option for his contract. Johnson on the other hand is under contract with the Texans. Will be interesting to see how Kubiak works that one.

Truth is this. We have 4 games left. Seattle isn't in a good place again this year and neither is St. Louis. Problem in getting to even 8-8 is going to be Miami and N.E. who will be playing for playoffs and the division.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM

For the record, I was a UT fan and wanted VY. As soon as I heard, pre-draft that we signed Mario, the VY love was OVER! When I read about Austin TV and Radio stations not playing or supporting the Texans I said well screw Austin and UT if they dont support Us than I could give a damn about UT. Living in SEC land and smack dab between UGA and Florida, I instead chose Bama, to piss the neighbors off. There are people at my church who will not talk to me or my wife because of the Bama flag. Saban got a lot of flack, but turned the team around even after some tough losses.

PapaL
12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Can we just get a RB worth a damn and backup RB that is more than decent?

Runner
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Well that's a good point. Our owner should just look for coaches who will never play a close game. Are you guys serious?

I didn't say never. Nice rewording so you can make a smart comment. That kind of makes it lose its effectiveness though.

thunderkyss
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Actually, the callers on 610 are giving the entire team a pass, with the
exception of Kubiak. Schaub and Dre are extremely pissed the coaches
of giving the ball to their playmakers. The coaches snatched the game from
Schaub and the offense, and handed it to the Jags.

There are legitimate gripes against the coaching staff, with the play calling in this game. But this play is not one of them.

When do you want him to call our first half back pass of the year? on Third & 10?

1st & ten in the red zone is when you want to do it the first time.

If the play isn't there, and it wasn't, CB has got to know to throw it away, or eat it. Those were his only two options, but he chose to lob it in the air.

Bad decision by the half back that shouldn't have even been on the field (if you want to blame the coaches), not the coaches.

Runner
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Demand 8-8. Accept nothing less.

The Texans marketing department should slap that up on a billboard.

euro-Texan
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I didn't say never. Nice rewording so you can make a smart comment. That kind of makes it lose its effectiveness though.

Thank you! I pride myself on my "rewording" skills.

Wolf
12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
I like Kubiak as a person ..as a coach, well lapses

bottom line is when you can't beat your division rivals, no matter how good or bad of a coach you are, your aren't sticking

Even the Bucs realized that change was needed with Dungy within the organization because things got stagnant

steelbtexan
12-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I observed two things today
1. Kubes should be fired because it appears that he's lost the players and the HB option pass exhibited a lack of faith in MS and AJ.

2. Kubes unwarranted faith in Chris Brown is going to get him fired.

DexmanC
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
There are legitimate gripes against the coaching staff, with the play calling in this game. But this play is not one of them.

When do you want him to call our first half back pass of the year? on Third & 10?

1st & ten in the red zone is when you want to do it the first time.

If the play isn't there, and it wasn't, CB has got to know to throw it away, or eat it. Those were his only two options, but he chose to lob it in the air.

Bad decision by the half back that shouldn't have even been on the field (if you want to blame the coaches), not the coaches.

I want to call it, on first down, in the 1st quarter, on a team we're up 14
points on. You DON'T call it on 1st and 10, with goal to go, DOWN by
14, with your SEASON on the line, IN THE FOURTH QUARTER! Yes, you blame the
coaches for allowing that dumb ass call to hit Matt Schaub's helmet!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2dgu9w2.jpg

TheCD
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Schaub and Dre are extremely pissed the coaches
of giving the ball to their playmakers.

I really wish that Schaub was the kind of leader who would hear that, go "ok coach" and then, when he gets to the huddle say: "Ok guys...coach wants us to run a halfback pass, but screw that. Here's what we're going to run!"

If Andre's pissed about the coaching, it's definitely time for Kubes to go. Andre is a patient man who never says much, but when he speaks it's like the hallowed sage endowing wisdom onto the lowly peons...his words must come to pass.

thunderkyss
12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
I want to call it, on first down, in the 1st quarter, on a team we're up 14
points on. You DON'T call it on 1st and 10, with goal to go, DOWN by
14, with your SEASON on the line, IN THE FOURTH QUARTER! Yes, you blame the
coaches for allowing that dumb ass call to hit Matt Schaub's helmet!

Throw it, or eat it. In that situation, he should have ate it. The player made a bad decision.

Had he ate the ball, we would have had another down to work with, & more room to work.

It was a good call. It was a gutsy call. The player made a bad decision.

nunusguy
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
obviously the HB pass in the endzone didn't pan out
Talk about a classic understatement, that's about like saying Custer had a slight disagreement with a few Indians.

thunderkyss
12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I really wish that Schaub was the kind of leader who would hear that, go "ok coach" and then, when he gets to the huddle say: "Ok guys...coach wants us to run a halfback pass, but screw that. Here's what we're going to run!"

If Andre's pissed about the coaching, it's definitely time for Kubes to go. Andre is a patient man who never says much, but when he speaks it's like the hallowed sage endowing wisdom onto the lowly peons...his words must come to pass.

You know Steve Young & John Elway called audibles at the line. So I'm not buying this, we don't allow our QB to call audibles.

I remember back in the day, QBs either got in trouble for calling the wrong play (I remember Parcells tearing into somebody's rear) or they would get in trouble for calling a time-out.

I think Kubiak is waiting for Schaub to do one or the other. That's how I would know that my QB is ready. If he knows he is going to get in trouble, but does it anyway.... 1st, his play had better work. 2nd, if he's willing to make that call, despite getting in trouble, he's ready.

2slik4u
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
You know, in the beginning of the season I would expect a win each and every week and eventually be completely crushed when we blew it. Now I go into each game expecting to lose (just like the texans of old) and if we win, its that much better! Also, when we do lose, like today, I was prepared. We texan fans are some sick individuals to put ourselves through this stuff week in and week out.

TheCD
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
You know Steve Young & John Elway called audibles at the line. So I'm not buying this, we don't allow our QB to call audibles.

I remember back in the day, QBs either got in trouble for calling the wrong play (I remember Parcells tearing into somebody's rear) or they would get in trouble for calling a time-out.

I think Kubiak is waiting for Schaub to do one or the other. That's how I would know that my QB is ready. If he knows he is going to get in trouble, but does it anyway.... 1st, his play had better work. 2nd, if he's willing to make that call, despite getting in trouble, he's ready.

Are you saying you don't buy that he's that kind of leader? That's kind of what I'm trying to allude to. That he doesn't have the cajones (at least yet) to get the call from the headset, and change the play in the huddle or on the line to something he knows will work.

At some point, Schaub knows better than the coach what will work based on the rhythm with the WR's and how well he's slinging it.

steelbtexan
12-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Dex I would rep you if I could.

I feel like that little girl.

Carr Bombed
12-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Can we just get a RB worth a damn and backup RB that is more than decent?

Need a offensive line first. Good offensive lines make average running backs look great and Slaton is atleast a average running back.

TEXANRED
12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Need a offensive line first. Good offensive lines make average running backs look great and Slaton is atleast a average running back.

I so agree with you on this. We need OLine bad. Or at least Oline with some nuts.

eriadoc
12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I have no problem with Schaub's game today. Other than a few brain dead plays a game, I seldom have a problem with Schaub. Wrecks Grossman is terrible, so I am all about having Schaub out there.

Kubiak blew it today. He has no faith in his team in the red zone. Maybe that's warranted. They've screwed up enough that maybe he shouldn't have faith in his team in the red zone. But you don't call a HB pass with Chris Brown. You just don't. Kubiak's entire attitude and mentality is one of defeat now.

stingray
12-06-2009, 10:58 PM

stingray
12-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Euro-Texan, Are you at FLETC in Glynco? I was there in 98 for the Border Patrol academy. Kwame Brown was a senior at Brunswick and everybody was talking about what a great player he would be in the NBA.

thunderkyss
12-08-2009, 01:30 AM
“It wasn't a … it had worked all week in practice … it looked like it was developing the way we had practiced it. But the guy (Jaguars cornerback Tyron Brackenridge) hit Chris as he was throwing it. Those running backs aren't used to taking a hit when they're throwing the ball and still getting enough on it. ”

The problem was somebody — film study will answer who — didn't account for Brackenridge, who got in Brown's face and on his person before he spied Dreessen.

Dreessen, who hasn't been given many opportunities to catch the ball since he replaced injured Pro Bowler Owen Daniels four games ago, was understandably juiced by the chance the call presented him.

“I got held up a little bit (at the line of scrimmage), but I think he was just getting hit as he was throwing and didn't get enough air under it,” Dreessen said. “I don't know. I was by myself back there. I was definitely open. It's unfortunate. I think it was a great call. When I felt that safety come up and I broke through, I thought, ‘Got ‘em!' But the ball just died in the air.”

Forget this was a bad call.

For now, let's just concentrate on the fact that Dressen is alone, wide open in the back of the end-zone. There are two rushers in front of Chris Brown. There are two of our guys in front of Chris Brown. One of those two get a block on one of the two defenders. What happened to the other guy?

DexmanC
12-08-2009, 01:46 AM
“It wasn't a … it had worked all week in practice … it looked like it was developing the way we had practiced it. But the guy (Jaguars cornerback Tyron Brackenridge) hit Chris as he was throwing it. Those running backs aren't used to taking a hit when they're throwing the ball and still getting enough on it. ”

Forget this was a bad call.

For now, let's just concentrate on the fact that Dressen is alone, wide open in the back of the end-zone. There are two rushers in front of Chris Brown. There are two of our guys in front of Chris Brown. One of those two get a block on one of the two defenders. What happened to the other guy?

Speaking pure X's and O's, Vonta Leach missed a block on Breckenridge.
The cornerback was his responsibility, but he chose the wrong guy to block.
He ended up jumping on Chris White's guy, leaving Breckenridge free to
Chris Brown.

Having said that...

Calling that play on 1st and goal at the 5, with 12 mins to go in THE FOURTH
QUARTER, where EVERY possession is precious, DOWN BY ELEVEN, IS FLAT
OUT STUPID!! AJ said so, Schaub said so, Demeco Ryans said so after the game.
The coach snatched victory from his team, as they didn't get enough possessions to
win the game, thanks to that dumb ass call.

thunderkyss
12-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Speaking pure X's and O's, Vonta Leach missed a block on Breckenridge.
The cornerback was his responsibility, but he chose the wrong guy to block.
He ended up jumping on Chris White's guy, leaving Breckenridge free to
Chris Brown.

So you are saying our best, most consistent lead blocker made a mistake that could have affected the outcome of this play. A mistake that if corrected could have made this a high percentage play?

Having said that...

Calling that play on 1st and goal at the 5, with 12 mins to go in THE FOURTH
QUARTER, where EVERY possession is precious, DOWN BY ELEVEN, IS FLAT
OUT STUPID!! AJ said so, Schaub said so, Demeco Ryans said so after the game.
The coach snatched victory from his team, as they didn't get enough possessions to
win the game, thanks to that dumb ass call.

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. When do you want to call the play, When we are up by 13? ON 4th & 1 ? With 3 minutes left in the game, down by 2 ?

The way people are talking here, it sounds like the only good time to call that play, is if your name is not Gary Kubiak.

BigBull17
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
So you are saying our best, most consistent lead blocker made a mistake that could have affected the outcome of this play. A mistake that if corrected could have made this a high percentage play?

That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. When do you want to call the play, When we are up by 13? ON 4th & 1 ? With 3 minutes left in the game, down by 2 ?

The way people are talking here, it sounds like the only good time to call that play, is if your name is not Gary Kubiak.

You don't get cute when you don't need to.