PDA

View Full Version : The First Off Season thread for 2010

Thorn
12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
We'll have a new coach and most likely pick between 13 and 16 after a 3rd 8-8 season in a row.

I don't think our new coach will be Cower, but one things for sure, with Kubiak gone, maybe now someone will have the balls to get us a RB in an early round.

I hate starting over again, but it's time. This organization needs a change and it's now or never. We have a young team that can move in whatever direction that the new head coach wants us to. I hate to say this, but I'm almost looking forward to this off season. May it finally bring the changes needed for this team to win.

m5kwatts
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
The good news is this draft RULES. So if we're pickings 8-13 we can get a high end cornerstone day 1 starter type of player. DT, S, RB, CB are our biggest needs lets assume, there will be atleast one of those in the 8-13 range. Of course we could always draft best player available and see who falls.

mussop
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
The good news is this draft RULES. So if we're pickings 8-13 we can get a high end cornerstone day 1 starter type of player. DT, S, RB, CB are our biggest needs lets assume, there will be atleast one of those in the 8-13 range. Of course we could always draft best player available and see who falls.

I will get ripped for it but we still havent found a DE that gets cosnitant pressure on the QB. DE is still a big need for this team. In fact I would say out of everyone in the upcoming draft, Suh is the only player that could have as big of an impact on this team as Derrick Morgan.

TexCanada
12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
This off-season, once again, will be a very important one. After today's game, I believe we need to get rid of Kubiak. Some teams can get away with having a coach who isn't really a leader, but we don't have the veteran presence to pull it off. We need a coach who can groom some of the players on this team into leaders.

hookinreds
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM

I'd add a C and G to that list. If Wilson can come back, I lower our S need, I think he did a good job and had a good bond with the Pollard. I think C or G should be our first pick, or if it is our second pick, it should be the first C or G taken in the draft. I tell you what, I saw that Suh kid from Nebraska last night, and after all I've heard about him, watching him has me looking at him as the real freaking deal.

DerekLee1
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
GREGG WILLIAMS. He gets pressure on opposing QB's and gets his secondary to perform EVERY WEEK. He'd keep on Shanahan but would make enough slight changes (beefier OL, top tier RB) to make a huge difference.

Thorn
12-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd add a C and G to that list. If Wilson can come back, I lower our S need, I think he did a good job and had a good bond with the Pollard. I think C or G should be our first pick, or if it is our second pick, it should be the first C or G taken in the draft. I tell you what, I saw that Suh kid from Nebraska last night, and after all I've heard about him, watching him has me looking at him as the real freaking deal.

he won't be avaliable by the time we pick, but if he were, I'd take him.

treduke
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM

we'd have to go mike ditka to get suh

TexCanada
12-06-2009, 05:35 PM
he won't be avaliable by the time we pick, but if he were, I'd take him.

Ya, Suh will likely be a top 5 pick.

hookinreds
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
...sorry, kinda thinking out loud...Suh will be top 3 in my opinion...and definitly not around when we are picking. Just making a comment on the kid...sorry for the confusion.

awtysst
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
We'll have a new coach and most likely pick between 13 and 16 after a 3rd 8-8 season in a row.

I don't think our new coach will be Cower, but one things for sure, with Kubiak gone, maybe now someone will have the balls to get us a RB in an early round.

I hate starting over again, but it's time. This organization needs a change and it's now or never. We have a young team that can move in whatever direction that the new head coach wants us to. I hate to say this, but I'm almost looking forward to this off season. May it finally bring the changes needed for this team to win.

I don't know. 8-8 suggests we go 3-1 over the last 4. We have: Seattle, St Louis, Miami, and New England. Both Miami and New England are in the hunt for the division and WC berths so i think they will both go after us hard. Seattle is currently a 4 win team and would be a 5 win team if they beat SF today. So, it is possible we go 3-1, but I think its likelier we go 1-3 or 2-2. That would put us around 6-10 or 7-9 or around 7-13 or so(give or take a couple of spots).

Goldensilence
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM

What makes you think it's safe to say we'll finish 8-8? Maybe as usual Kubiak will win games when they don't count.

I don't think we need to implode the roster but the staff does need to be imploded. Like you said I don't believe Cowher would come here, but I think McNair will likely look for a proven guy this time around (ok well I hope anyway)

Whomever the next coach is has some big decisions to make. Do we stick with Schaub at QB? If we do the truth is Schaub can't carry a team on his back, we need to focus on defense and run game. I'm on the fence with Schaub personally.

Slaton's not going to cut it at RB and thankfully Brown's contract, or contracted espionage goes up. Gotta make a move in the draft or take a risk on a FA or a combination of both. I think we can bring in a vet like Edge for a reasonable rate if he doesn't outright retire.

We need a stud Free Safety. Not much more to add to that. Pollard's making a good case to keep around at SS though.

Not sure about Caldwell's status, but based on what he did a Bama I don't see a reason why he couldn't be a solid C or guard. We have to upgrade the talent of the interior from starter to backups. That means saying buh bye to White and Studdard.

Freaking sign OD. That's all.

Big choice on resigning KW. I think he's a solid #2 and I like his game. New coach might want someone to stretch the field opposite AJ. Even so If Mardy Gilyard slips to the second run up to the podium.

I also think the FO needs to be reassessed. I get the Casserly feeling with Rick Smith. I know he hasn't screwed us over like Cass, but I can't identify if the picks and FA moves are him just getting what his HC wants. He'll probably be allowed to finish out his contract I imagine though.

Bobby Grier needs to be fired. Not saying all of our FA pickups have been terrible but our "big" name FAs tend to not pan out.

Thorn
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I can understand yall's thoughts on how we might not be 8-8. It's very likely we will be 7-9, but I don't think we will be 6-10. I think we can take the next three and then lose to New England. Not that any of this matters now anyway. It's more important who our next head coach is than how many more games we win.

I think Lil' Shanny is gone with the new head coach, but Frank Bush may stay on depending on who is hired.

I'm also not sold on getting rid of Rick Smith. He certainly has done a better job than Casserly. And didn't Rick Smith just sign an extension recently?

Mr. White
12-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm also not sold on getting rid of Rick Smith. He certainly has done a better job than Casserly. And didn't Rick Smith just sign an extension recently?

I've been thinking this way myself. I think he's done his job well enough to hang on to it.

But then again, it's hard to tell how much of it's Smith and how much of it's Kubiak.

Goldensilence
12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I can understand yall's thoughts on how we might not be 8-8. It's very likely we will be 7-9, but I don't think we will be 6-10. I think we can take the next three and then lose to New England. Not that any of this matters now anyway. It's more important who our next head coach is than how many more games we win.

I think Lil' Shanny is gone with the new head coach, but Frank Bush may stay on depending on who is hired.

Yeah signed through 2012.

My problem is HOW much better has he really done? He hasn't pulled a P Buch or a Jason Babin trade which is good. But, his supposed top tier FAs in general haven't worked out, though he has hit on some lower tier FAs and trade that have worked out well.

I don't think he'll get axed along with Kubiak, but I think he should be on a warm seat going into next year. It's been hard discerning what are strictly Smith choices or approval from Kubiak. Rest of the FO needs a long look.

imatexan
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
We have 4 more games to play.

Thats 1/4 the season.

It is not the Off Season.

jaayteetx
12-06-2009, 07:44 PM
We have 4 more games to play.

Thats 1/4 the season.

It is not the Off Season.

Glorified scrimmages rest of the way, sorry.

redwhiteANDblue
12-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Michael Vick for QB!

Norg
12-07-2009, 01:19 AM
call me crazy but if we win out the pool out there is not good and just the money factor

right now Kubes job is looking safe IMO

mariowillshine15
12-07-2009, 02:16 AM
We should try out the practice squad backs these last 4 games. See if Foster or Henry is any good. If they are then thats a positive. If they suck then oh well were not going anywhere anyway.

steelbtexan
12-07-2009, 02:38 AM
If we're picking in the 8-13 players who could be available

T.Mays, B.Balaga,J.Haden

Not bad

mariowillshine15
12-07-2009, 02:55 AM
If we're picking in the 8-13 players who could be available

T.Mays, B.Balaga,J.Haden

Not bad

Taylor Mays is massively overrated. He's the next Roy Williams.

Has elite athleticism and can hit hard but cant cover a lick.

leebigeztx
12-07-2009, 03:19 AM
The first guy on my radar would be wilfolk of ne. I would like to see how mario and the line plays with a push/plugger in the middle.