PDA

View Full Version : Do you really want a Super Bowl winning head coach?

Hookem Horns
12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Has any coach ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different franchises? I googled a bit and couldn't come up with one. A few have gotten back but not won, like Parcells.

Double Barrel
12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I would settle for a coach that's had a winning season. :shades:

Hookem Horns
12-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I would settle for a coach that's had a winning season. :shades:

Like Dom Capers? :ahhaha:

Texecutioner
12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Has any coach ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different franchises? I googled a bit and couldn't come up with one. A few have gotten back but not won, like Parcells.

Holmgren went with two different teams and came close to winning 3 SB's actually. They barely lost that 2nd SB to Elway and that team that he had to work with in Seattle really wasn't that great in my opinion. I thought they over achieved honestly and almost won that SB against Cowher and the Steelers.

Hervoyel
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I expect any coach we hire here in Houston to spark a series of "firsts". I expect him to be the first coach for the Texans to post a winning season for instance. Asking him to also be the first head coach to ever take a second team to a Super Bowl and win seems like a small matter indeed compared to that.

And Dick Vermiel took the Eagles to the Super Bowl and lost, then decades later took the Rams there and won so he actually did better on his second team.

Double Barrel
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Sadly, his record is better than Kubiak's at this point (with regards to resume). He's not only had a winning season (yeah, o.k., just one), but he's been to a conference championship game as a HC. I'm not defending the guy, but it's clear that he did not have a hand in picking his GM, his coaches, or his goofy starting QB. His hands were tied when he took the job. Kubiak's hands are just being held by the owner instead.

m5kwatts
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Tony Dungy

If you count the Buccaneers 2002 SB Win

Mr. White
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM

Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't know what made Casserly and McNair ever think that Capers would be a good coach for this team.

The guy had one winning season in his career to that point. Even then, he had the benefit of a favorable expansion draft.

To your point, I don't really care if a Super Bowl winning HC came here or not. I think they had the right formula when they started the Texans.

1. Strong GM
2. Defensive-minded coach

The problem is that the ingredients were totally wrong.

JB
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
There has been a number of coaches to take 2 franchises to the SB, but not to win with both...

Some have lost both.

Any coach that could take the Texans to a SB would be fine with me.

Double Barrel
12-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Hindsight's 20/20, but I don't know what made Casserly and McNair ever think that Capers would be a good coach for this team.

The guy had one winning season in his career to that point. Even then, he had the benefit of a favorable expansion draft.

To your point, I don't really care if a Super Bowl winning HC came here or not. I think they had the right formula when they started the Texans.

1. Strong GM
2. Defensive-minded coach

The problem is that the ingredients were totally wrong.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I don't know what made McNair ever think that Casserly would be a good GM for any team. Dude has not worked for an NFL team since he left here, and there is good reason for that.

Norg
12-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Yes we cant even reach the playoffs much less a SB !!!!!!!!!!!!

chicagotexan2
12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Cowher yes. Gruden NO.

TheCD
12-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Tony Dungy

To be fair, the Bucs decimated the Raiders in that game because Gruden was so familiar with the offense that he coached the defense to exploit all the offensive calls and to know exactly what plays were going to be run at what moment. The week before the Super Bowl Gruden practiced as Rich Gannon to give the team an idea of exactly how and when Rich wanted to throw the ball.

But I'm definitely not arguing that Gruden rode Dungy's coattails. I'm just saying there's a bit more to coaching than just having talent (Unfortunately, as much as I hate to admit it, I would have to concede the same thing to Barry Switzer).

BigBull17
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Tony Dungy

But, you can't, since Dungy couldnt win with that team.

Hervoyel
12-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Everybody gets on Gruden for taking Tony Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and I'm not here to dispute that.

I'd just like to point out that Bill Callahan took John Gruden's team to that same Super Bowl and nobody ever points that out.

I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job) but I don't know why he's dismissed by so many people either. It's not like he's Barry Switzer or something. He coached for 11 years and only posted 3 losing seasons and has a ring.

In short he's probably a better coach than anybody to ever take a Houston NFL team on to the field with the possible exception of Bum Phillips.

JB
12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Everybody gets on Gruden for taking Tony Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and I'm not here to dispute that.

I'd just like to point out that Bill Callahan took John Gruden's team to that same Super Bowl and nobody ever points that out.

I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job) but I don't know why he's dismissed by so many people either. It's not like he's Barry Switzer or something. He coached for 11 years and only posted 3 losing seasons and has a ring.

In short he's probably a better coach than anybody to ever take a Houston NFL team on to the field with the possible exception of Bum Phillips.

Wally Lemm?

Hervoyel
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Wally Lemm?

A career .500 coach I'm afraid. 4 losing seasons in 10 years though he did have a ring.

JB
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
A career .500 coach I'm afraid. 4 losing seasons in 10 years though he did have a ring.

His team went 10-0 for him in '61 to get him that ring after he took over for Rymkus

GP
12-04-2009, 10:38 AM

I have never cared for Gruden.

There's just something there that, to me, doesn't add up.

Quirky, football-minded personality. Enthusiastic. Blunt. Seems like he has the football head coach act down to a science/art.

But I still can't put my finger on why I always felt he was overrated or not nearly as big of a winner as his track record points toward.

Look, everybody needs to just slow down and have these discussions this time next season. Because Gurry Kubiak will be back for 2010.

Slow and steady wins the race...

BigBull17
12-04-2009, 10:41 AM

I'm not huge on the Gruden wagon, I just hate when people completly dismiss his Super Bowl ring. Rdeally bugs me. There are alot of worse canidates than Gruden. He would have to be on a short list, IMO.

Blake
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I would take a SB winning HC over a college coach.

nero THE zero
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't think Gruden is the man for the job (our job)

Out of curiosity, why not?

Given the recent and overwhelming evidence suggesting that we're stuck with another year of Kubiak, and assuming he posts another mediocre season, leading us to a (legitimate) search for a new HC, and that Cowher signs with a team this year, Gruden will likely be the leading coach-with-a-ring candidate on the market. He also has the disposition that we sorely need and lack that makes Cowher such an attractive candidate, and has the offensive mind to keep our offensive talent afloat.

So, provided this team doesn't readily improve next season, I think Gruden becomes the Texans fans' Cowher of 2009.

bckey
12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
So, provided this team doesn't readily improve next season, I think Gruden becomes the Texans fans' Cowher of 2009.

I don't. Most of his former players hate him. You want an a$$hole screamer then he is your man. I just don't think McNair would hire a coach that extreme. He did follow up a very mellow and completely different coach in Dungy and the extreme change in coaching personalities may have helped fuel the hate. It would be a similar situation here. I'm not saying these players don't need to be yelled at but Chucky just doesn't seem like the right fit here imho. He always used scrub qb's in Tampa. I don't want that going on here.

Second Honeymoon
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm not huge on the Gruden wagon, I just hate when people completly dismiss his Super Bowl ring. Rdeally bugs me. There are alot of worse canidates than Gruden. He would have to be on a short list, IMO.

completely agreed. people are clueless when it comes to gruden around here. they act like he was giftwrapped SuperBowls and never did anything. He has had some of the best coaching performances in the last decade. Some of those post-Super Bowl Bucs teams were depleted of talent and he still had them competing and making playoffs as well.

Gruden is, at worse, the 4th best candidate available behind Cowher, HOlmgren, and arguably Schotty. The rest don't have his credentials, resume, and ability.

Hervoyel
12-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Out of curiosity, why not?

Given the recent and overwhelming evidence suggesting that we're stuck with another year of Kubiak, and assuming he posts another mediocre season, leading us to a (legitimate) search for a new HC, and that Cowher signs with a team this year, Gruden will likely be the leading coach-with-a-ring candidate on the market. He also has the disposition that we sorely need and lack that makes Cowher such an attractive candidate, and has the offensive mind to keep our offensive talent afloat.

I think bckey kind of covered it but in a word "temperment". I don't think he's the kind of coach Bob McNair is ready to hire. He may never be ready to hire somebody that "in your face" for lack of a better term. He might interview him and maybe Gruden comes across entirely differently to McNair in a one on one interview but I just don't think he will seek out a head coach like Gruden. I think the closest we can expect to that would be an intense but less demonstrative coach like Cowher (who now that I think about it might also not meet Bob's "milktoast" standards.

You can just look at the two men he's hired for the position to date and tell that he's not looking for somebody like Gruden. He wants a coach who is like himself loyal to a fault (which he apparently sees as the height of professionalism) and as calm and patient as one of those Easter Island stone heads.