PDA

View Full Version : Pereira admits pass interference call was wrong

TexCanada
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Mike Pereira admitted on Official Review that the pass interference call on Jacques Reeves that resulted in a 43 penalty was the wrong call. Small consolation at this point though.

WesmanTexanfan
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Mike Pereira admitted on Official Review that the pass interference call on Jacques Reeves that resulted in a 43 penalty was the wrong call. Small consolation at this point though.

I was close to that endzone after that play, you could see it in him, he was shaky after, i was upset....

i agree, small consolation...

Big Lou
12-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Did he admit to his extra marital affair with Peyton Manning, and all the other officials that have had relations with #18?

Wolf
12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
that is twice we have heard ..."that was the wrong call". At this point I wish they wouldn't have said a word.. what is done is done. I am not sure there is any accountability with the officials anyways with the league office.. I try to understand that officials are human, but that was a huge gain that they screwed us on

It didn't cost us the game overall but it did swing momentum and Texans have to learn how to swing it back.

but your right Tex .. small consolation

utahmark
12-03-2009, 12:31 AM
that is twice we have heard ..."that was the wrong call". At this point I wish they wouldn't have said a word.. what is done is done. I am not sure there is any accountability with the officials anyways with the league office.. I try to understand that officials are human, but that was a huge gain that they screwed us on

It didn't cost us the game overall but it did swing momentum and Texans have to learn how to swing it back.

but your right Tex .. small consolation

was'nt it 3rd down?

bah007
12-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Do the officials even know what pass interference is anymore?

The rule has changed so drastically in the last five years that you could probably call it on any given play in a game and have probable cause for throwing the flag (based on the rules).

Most ridiculous foul in all of sports right now.

m5kwatts
12-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Do the officials even know what pass interference is anymore?

The rule has changed so drastically in the last five years that you could probably call it on any given play in a game and have probable cause for throwing the flag (based on the rules).

Most ridiculous foul in all of sports right now.

It ruins the quality of NFL football. It really does.

hookinreds
12-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I disagree, I think it was a huge factor in the game. I believe it was 3rd down and their opening posession of the 2nd half after we had been busting them in the jaw the whole first half. This was a big punch to the gut on a ball that was clearly not catchable, and it started the melt down. Had that been a no call, they punt the fans stay really pumped and the Texans probably end up with the ball around midfield with big mo still on their back. They admit it was a bad call...well big Fing whooptydoo. How about the NFL forget to mail them their paycheck this week. Keep the Fing flag in your pants!

dream_team
12-03-2009, 01:14 AM
I disagree, I think it was a huge factor in the game. I believe it was 3rd down and their opening posession of the 2nd half after we had been busting them in the jaw the whole first half. This was a big punch to the gut on a ball that was clearly not catchable, and it started the melt down. Had that been a no call, they punt the fans stay really pumped and the Texans probably end up with the ball around midfield with big mo still on their back. They admit it was a bad call...well big Fing whooptydoo. How about the NFL forget to mail them their paycheck this week. Keep the Fing flag in your pants!

It was actually 2nd down. The incompletion would have brought 3rd & 2. Now if Houston was able to stop the next play... who knows what difference it could have made? If Colts punt and Texans score a TD on the very next series, would have been 27 - 7 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

It's very hypothetical... but you can't ignore the bad call was a factor in the loss. I'm not saying it costed them the victory, but it surely didn't help.

infantrycak
12-03-2009, 01:17 AM
The penalty came on their first drive of the 2nd half but was on 1st and 10. Anytime you give 43 yards to Manning it is significant. Then Quinn didn't look at the ball and gave them 1st and goal on the 1. Of course you can't say that would have happened if you don't get the free 43 yds.

dream_team
12-03-2009, 01:20 AM
What I'm more angry about is that in both games against the Colts, all 'iffy' calls have been going against Houston. Texans can't catch a break!

In the next series, on 1st & 10, Schaub tried to go deep to AJ. There was some bumping between AJ & the corner... but the ball wasn't catchable, good no call by the refs, and it ended up being intercepted.

It was very similar to the play in the previous series, except the Colts got the call.

DerekLee1
12-03-2009, 02:17 AM
It was actually 2nd down. The incompletion would have brought 3rd & 2. Now if Houston was able to stop the next play... who knows what difference it could have made? If Colts punt and Texans score a TD on the very next series, would have been 27 - 7 in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

It's very hypothetical... but you can't ignore the bad call was a factor in the loss. I'm not saying it costed them the victory, but it surely didn't help.

More importantly, it was a momentum changer. Peyton gets in everyone's heads. This team has to shake off crap like that, because he's ALWAYS going to get those calls. That's why 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 in the 2nd quarter should have been attacking downs instead of "padding your lead" downs. You go up 21-0 instead of 17-0, and the Colts have to take a different approach. It changes everything.

Indy Skinnz
12-03-2009, 06:37 AM
What I'm more angry about is that in both games against the Colts, all 'iffy' calls have been going against Houston. Texans can't catch a break!

In the next series, on 1st & 10, Schaub tried to go deep to AJ. There was some bumping between AJ & the corner... but the ball wasn't catchable, good no call by the refs, and it ended up being intercepted.

It was very similar to the play in the previous series, except the Colts got the call.

Isn't it up to the Texans to make the breaks for themselves? I mean the call was most certainly iffy at best, but the Texans D had plenty of opportunities to make plays after the PI call. If you point to that play being a momentum changer, when it was in a series that only got the Colts to within 6 points, doesn't that speak to a larger issue of the Texans not being mentally tough. If your team goes into the tank because of a bad call, that is a much bigger problem than the bad call itself.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Get a rope. We'll take care of this the Texan way.

nunusguy
12-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Somebody mentioned earlier in another thread that calls like this raise the
question of "dirty refs" (that's my term). Or let's just say refs with a predisposition, conscious or subconscious, as to who wins the game ? How is
that not a fair and reasonable assertion given what's going on in other stages these days regarding officiating ?
What makes this especially hard and galling to take is of course it's a call against the home-field team. This didn't happen in Indy. And the sheer enorimity of it in terms of yardage (nearly half the length of the football field) and timing ? Now if you going to tell me that the home-team doesn't have an advantage on calls, I'm going to advise you to grow-up.

Mr. White
12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Isn't it up to the Texans to make the breaks for themselves? I mean the call was most certainly iffy at best, but the Texans D had plenty of opportunities to make plays after the PI call. If you point to that play being a momentum changer, when it was in a series that only got the Colts to within 6 points, doesn't that speak to a larger issue of the Texans not being mentally tough. If your team goes into the tank because of a bad call, that is a much bigger problem than the bad call itself.

I totally agree with every word of this post.

The PI was a horrible call, but BS calls happen every game. We need to be able to overcome them.

TheCD
12-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I totally agree with every word of this post.

The PI was a horrible call, but BS calls happen every game. We need to be able to overcome them.

I have always been of the disposition that refs don't win games for teams, no matter how bad the call, and I still stick to that assertion.

However, the sheer number of bad calls we've gotten in our last 3 games (and big games for us, too), are more than an annoyance. I get the rule that caused Eugene to get fine for a forearm to the head in the 1st Colts game, but it's still tackle football and I disagree with how strict they are about those rules. The Cushing fine for tapping Vince out of bounds was beyond absurd, there's no justification for that call (in my opinion, of course).

I really do feel like both calls on Antonion last week were bogus as well, the hit on clark on the INT I feel was a solid play to keep Clark out of position to make the tackle (at least from the view on the t.v. it looked as though he was within range, and we all know Clark is faster than Cushing), and the roughing the passer I feel was rediculous, it seemed almost unquestionable to me that Antonio was blocked into Peyton, and even if he wasn't, there was no malice in his hand making contact with Peyton's helmet (i.e. it was a play involving momentum and he didn't attempt a dirty play after the pass).

We all know the 1st P.I. call was laughable, but I really feel like (and most might disagree with me here) that the 2nd flag was a bad call also. The slow-mo appeared to show no significant contact interfering in the ability to make a catch by either player, but it seems to show that the flag was thrown because the receiver fell down (of his own volition, mind you) and because Glover wasn't looking at the ball. You could surely call it either way, but I think a flag there was a bad decision.

Again, while the momentum shift because of the call killed us in the end, that's a problem with our team and the coaching, not the refs. I find it odd that we've been getting terrible calls in our biggest games this year (I'm still confused how they call Connor offides in the 1st Colts game AFTER the play was run). I'm not of the ilk that thinks the NFL fixes games, but I certainly think that it's plausible (though I'm not arguing that it happens) that refs have favorite/hated teams or a bias for one team over another, and that if given the chance for a subjective call, they throw the flag (whether consciously or unconsciouly intending to give one team a favor over another).

Texan_Bill
12-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Did he admit to his extra marital affair with Peyton Manning, and all the other officials that have had relations with #18?

:lol:

Pantherstang84
12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I have always been of the disposition that refs don't win games for teams, no matter how bad the call, and I still stick to that assertion.

However, the sheer number of bad calls we've gotten in our last 3 games (and big games for us, too), are more than an annoyance. I get the rule that caused Eugene to get fine for a forearm to the head in the 1st Colts game, but it's still tackle football and I disagree with how strict they are about those rules. The Cushing fine for tapping Vince out of bounds was beyond absurd, there's no justification for that call (in my opinion, of course).

I really do feel like both calls on Antonion last week were bogus as well, the hit on clark on the INT I feel was a solid play to keep Clark out of position to make the tackle (at least from the view on the t.v. it looked as though he was within range, and we all know Clark is faster than Cushing), and the roughing the passer I feel was rediculous, it seemed almost unquestionable to me that Antonio was blocked into Peyton, and even if he wasn't, there was no malice in his hand making contact with Peyton's helmet (i.e. it was a play involving momentum and he didn't attempt a dirty play after the pass).

We all know the 1st P.I. call was laughable, but I really feel like (and most might disagree with me here) that the 2nd flag was a bad call also. The slow-mo appeared to show no significant contact interfering in the ability to make a catch by either player, but it seems to show that the flag was thrown because the receiver fell down (of his own volition, mind you) and because Glover wasn't looking at the ball. You could surely call it either way, but I think a flag there was a bad decision.

Again, while the momentum shift because of the call killed us in the end, that's a problem with our team and the coaching, not the refs. I find it odd that we've been getting terrible calls in our biggest games this year (I'm still confused how they call Connor offides in the 1st Colts game AFTER the play was run). I'm not of the ilk that thinks the NFL fixes games, but I certainly think that it's plausible (though I'm not arguing that it happens) that refs have favorite/hated teams or a bias for one team over another, and that if given the chance for a subjective call, they throw the flag (whether consciously or unconsciouly intending to give one team a favor over another).

If the NFL does not get this under control, they will have a serious image problem worse than the Black Sox scandal. The integrity of the game is at stake.

Surely there is a young Marvin Zindler type looking for thier own Chicken Ranch story. Officialgate looks like a good one ready to break open.

Seriously, the NFL has to do something. Start suspending these guys, withhold pay something. As long as they get away with it, they will continue to do it.

Here is another point. At any time one of the other refs could have stepped in and said, "Hey man. I think you blew this one. Better pick the flag up and waive it off."

It happens all of the time in games I am officiating.

hookinreds
12-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Even the players are talking about the refs. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-directsnap120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
• If the NFL is truly concerned about player safety, it will quickly change its policy on having officials delay whistling plays dead. A prime example of this was at the end of the first half of the Indianapolis-Houston game when Texans defensive back Brice McCain(notes) intercepted a pass by Peyton Manning(notes). McCain was eventually ruled down by contact on the play. However, instead of whistling the play dead immediately, the officials let it play out as McCain attempted to return the ball and was eventually decked on a high hit. Sure, McCain was OK, but by allowing the play to go on, he was exposed to an unnecessary hit. “You have to talk to the refs about how they’re instructed to handle that,” Colts tight end Dallas Clark(notes) said. “But if the play is down, they should do what they can to make sure the play is dead so nobody gets hurt.” That may sound like an insignificant issue, but if there are five to 10 plays like that per week, you’re talking about 100 to 200 extra hits over the course of a season

Thorn
12-03-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm sure the officiating sucks at times, but we all know that if the Texans were good enough to win, they would, bad calls or not. We have a losing record right now for a reason, and it ain't because of the officials.

hookinreds
12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm sure the officiating sucks at times, but we all know that if the Texans were good enough to win, they would, bad calls or not. We have a losing record right now for a reason, and it ain't because of the officials.

You can't be a middle of the road team and make it over the hump when you have to deal with drive killing/extending penalties that are called against you or not called for you when they are obvious. That and not have crappy play calling to begin with.

Texan_Bill
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM

I totally agree Thorn.. Let's quit keep looking at officiating for excuses. With that said, I still think there is favoritism as it relates to Manning and Brady.

Thorn
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
There is favoritism by the officials for certain players, I'm certain of that. Also, there is lots of example of bad officiating to be found every week, in all the games, not just the Texan games.

Still, if we were good enough to get past that, we would, and then the officials would start given us a few breaks and we'd be listening to the hue and cry of the fans whose teams we just beat.

infantrycak
12-03-2009, 09:46 AM

I don't have any problem saying most of the time bad ref calls whether they just be mistakes or shading for stars don't change the outcome of the game. I thought the 1st Indy game was poorly officiated but then went back through drive by drive and there really wasn't under the circumstances of each drive anything you could say most likely changed the outcome of the game in any fashion.

Dread-Head
12-03-2009, 10:00 AM
was'nt it 3rd down?

yup

Double Barrel
12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Pure bogus call, but the way the Texans played the second half, they would have lost it regardless of the officiating.

And if that one penalty took the wind out of them, then they are too soft to begin with. The fact is that the Colts made adjustments and Kubiak did his patent-pending "play not to lose" routine of thinking we could protect a lead for a half against an explosive Colts team.

dream_team
12-03-2009, 10:02 AM

I agree totally. We've seen this all season, where the momentum changes, Texans just don't know how to reverse it? That's why it was such a huge play.

There's no debate that the Texans are still a young team, and there's no debate the Colts are the better team right now. So the Colts continually getting these 'iffy' calls are a huge advantage against Houston, as they don't know how to respond to them.

Thorn
12-03-2009, 10:03 AM
And if that one penalty took the wind out of them, then they are too soft to begin with.

This.

Pantherstang84
12-03-2009, 10:19 AM

The subject of bad officiating is a touchy issue with you isn't it? Every time there is a thread mentioning bad officiating you jump right in.

Of course, the officials are probably doing a magnificent job in your eyes aren't they?

Indy Skinnz
12-03-2009, 10:39 AM
The subject of bad officiating is a touchy issue with you isn't it? Every time there is a thread mentioning bad officiating you jump right in.

Of course, the officials are probably doing a magnificent job in your eyes aren't they?

Was anything I said wrong?

Fact is the Texans have proven to not be mentally tough enough. That is their problem. Not bad officiating or something more sinister that many on here have suggested. If Houston wants to "fix" their problem, they need to get tougher. Simple as that.

Texan_Bill
12-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Fact is the Texans have proven to not be mentally tough enough. That is their problem. Not bad officiating or something more sinister that many on here have suggested. If Houston wants to "fix" their problem, they need to get tougher. Simple as that.

I don't blame officiating for anything, but if you really believe that Manning and Brady don't get special treatment, I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you (and no, it's not Lake Havasu).

DeNial, it ain't just a river in Egypt.

jaayteetx
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM

I totally disagree with pretty much everything you said. In the NFL, teams are so evenly matched week in and week out that small things, like, oh, say, one team constantly gets BS calls their way its gonna swing the game in their favor. I GUARANTEE you Indy would not be undefeated if this wasn't the case. The NFL and the refs have a huge crush on #18 and its really starting to disgust me. So much so, that, for the first time, I'm seriously considering NOT watching the NFL anymore. I know I'm in the minority on this, but something has to change. How many roughing the passer or contact to the helmet calls have been missed on #18? I'm guessing not many, but Schaub gets nailed in the head leading to an int against the Colts on the road and that one damn sure gets missed.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Do you think the Colts would be undefeated if they had 2 or 3 phantom calls every game that gave their opponents free points? If they got screwed the way the Texans have the last few weeks they've got 3 or 4 losses.

Imagine if the the 4th down play against the Pats was inexplicably ruled incorrectly as a 1st down catch, enabling them to run out the clock. One bad call can change the entire game.

jaayteetx
12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Do you think the Colts would be undefeated if they had 2 or 3 phantom calls every game that gave their opponents free points? If they got screwed the way the Texans have the last few weeks they've got 3 or 4 losses.

Imagine if the the 4th down play against the Pats was inexplicably ruled incorrectly as a 1st down catch, enabling them to run out the clock. One bad call can change the entire game.

Exactly!

Thorn
12-03-2009, 10:56 AM
The Colts are undefeated because they are a better team than the Texans.

I'm not so sure the Colts are so good as to be undefeated at the end of the season though. But, the Colts keep beating the Texans for a reason, and it's not the officials. It's because the Texans can't keep up with them.

jaayteetx
12-03-2009, 11:00 AM
The Colts are undefeated against the Texans because they are a better team than the Texans.
I'm not so sure the Colts are so good as to be undefeated at the end of the season though. But, the Colts keep beating the Texans for a reason, and it's not the officials. It's because the Texans can't keep up with them.

There, fixed it for ya. I disagree, btw. Texans get a fair shake by the refs and that wouldn't be the case.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
The Colts are undefeated because they are a better team than the Texans.

A bad call cost us a chance at 7 points from the 2 yard line in a 3 point loss @Indy a few weeks ago, but you don't think the refs cost us that game?

I'm not sure I see your logic.

jaayteetx
12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
A bad call cost us a chance at 7 points from the 2 yard line in a 3 point loss @Indy a few weeks ago, but you don't think the refs cost us that game?

Don't forget the blow to the head on Matt Schaub that led to the int either. That was somehow missed.

76Texan
12-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't blame officiating for anything, but if you really believe that Manning and Brady don't get special treatment, I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you (and no, it's not Lake Havasu).

DeNial, it ain't just a river in Egypt.

:spit: :spit:
Rep!

El Tejano
12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Pure bogus call, but the way the Texans played the second half, they would have lost it regardless of the officiating.

And if that one penalty took the wind out of them, then they are too soft to begin with. The fact is that the Colts made adjustments and Kubiak did his patent-pending "play not to lose" routine of thinking we could protect a lead for a half against an explosive Colts team.

But it wasn't just one. Andre's TD was a TD that was called back. Before that they got ticky tack on the return when Cushing got the interception. These were all at times the Texans could most likely have taken advantage of.

Let me throw in the non-holding on Reggie Wayne when the onside kick was in the air and cleared everyone and Busing still had a play on it. Go back and look.

BigBull17
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
was'nt it 3rd down?

Would have been 3rd and 10.

TimeKiller
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
How bout 15 yards for touching Peyton Manning? I'd rather hear him say Peyton is a wuss and the refs are knobgobbling sonsabitches for that than anything.

Pantherstang84
12-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Are you going to answer my original questions or keep changing the subject?

Thorn
12-03-2009, 12:13 PM

My logic is you can't blame the refs for a loss. If the team lives and dies by a few bad calls, they aren't playing well enough. Did the refs fumble those balls on the goal line? Did the ref miss those field goals? The Texans lost those games. The loss might be a full combination of player screwups, coaching screwups and ref screwups. But even at that, if you eliminate the player and coaching screwups, you win the game.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
My logic is you can't blame the refs for a loss. If the team lives and dies by a few bad calls, they aren't playing well enough. Did the refs fumble those balls on the goal line? Did the ref miss those field goals? The Texans lost those games. The loss might be a full combination of player screwups, coaching screwups and ref screwups. But even at that, if you eliminate the player and coaching screwups, you win the game.

Yes, you can blame the refs.

When two teams are evenly matched, and the refs step in and yank 7 points of the board in a 3 point loss they changed the outcome.

I won't definitively say that the other bad calls cost us games, but the calls @Indy clearly did.

We played well enough to beat the Colts, but you can't beat the refs.

badboy
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
One or two bad calls a game should not keep us from a win. I think therefore that every game after the ball is marked down to begin our first possession we should have 43 yards given to us. For example, our kick returner takes it to the 27 yard line. Referee immediately advances it 43 yards. I mean it's no big deal and the other team definitely would not mind because they are tougher than us. Right?

Pantherstang84
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
We can sit here and play woulda, coulda, shoulda all week long, but there is one basic sentiment not being discussed. If the Colts fans on this board can't concede this point then we know what their real reason for being here is...

Football teams regardless of competition level be it, Pop Warner, high school, college, or professional; deserve and should demand that when it comes to officiating, they get to play on a level playing field.

Regardless of the outcome of the game, teams should not have to deal with any of the following:

1. Opposing teams getting awarded 43 yards on phantom penalties.
2. Touchdowns geting called back on bogus play reviews.
3. 15 yard personal foul penalties when a player gets blocked into the QB and his hand incidentally touches the QB's helmet.
4. Getting flagged for phantom neutral zone infractions and the result extends an opposing team's drive.

and the list goes on and on.

The NFL has a problem and fans across the entire league are starting to take notice. If Mike Periera and Roger Goodell do not get a handle on this, the integrity of the game will be damaged beyond repair.

Thorn
12-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I'll agree the officiating can be not just bad, but at times horrible in the NFL. I'll also agree that some very important calls have gone the wrong way against the Texans.

But I will not, not even for a second, lay our 5-6 record at the feet of the officials. That record was EARNED by the Texan players and coaching staff, it was not given them by the officials.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 01:08 PM
One or two bad calls a game should not keep us from a win. I think therefore that every game after the ball is marked down to begin our first possession we should have 43 yards given to us. For example, our kick returner takes it to the 27 yard line. Referee immediately advances it 43 yards. I mean it's no big deal and the other team definitely would not mind because they are tougher than us. Right?

I would also like to have the ball turned over to the Texans once each game when the opponent gets 1st and goal inside the 2 yard line.

This would not affect the game at all, and anybody who thinks it would is a loser.

silvrhand
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I would also like to have the ball turned over to the Texans once each game when the opponent gets 1st and goal inside the 2 yard line.

This would not affect the game at all, and anybody who thinks it would is a loser.

Goat,

Come on man this team has to take some responsibility for their actions, and penalties are mental mistakes most of the time. This one penalty does not lose them the game. You just seem to be blindly sticking up for any texan at this point and it just seems that you think the team does not have any accountability.

Wolf6151
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Bad officiating might cost you a play but it doesn't cost you a game. Good teams realize after a bad call that it's time to "man up" and play better in order to overcome the poor officiating on that previous play. A bad call can make a player hang his head low and feel defeated for make him get mad and hold his head high and play that much harder. Tough players and teams hold their head high and play even harder. We're not a tough team yet.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Goat,

Come on man this team has to take some responsibility for their actions, and penalties are mental mistakes most of the time. This one penalty does not lose them the game. You just seem to be blindly sticking up for any texan at this point and it just seems that you think the team does not have any accountability.

In the last two weeks I've called out 'dre for all of his drops, Brown for getting destroyed by Mathis, Schaub for throwing stupid picks, D-Rob for sucking in run support, commiting stupid penalties, and having poor ball awareness, Kubes for a lot of things, Bush for not having the team prepared for VY's legs, Ryans, Pollard, and Cush for being weak in coverage, the interior O-Line for being an embarassment, and a whole host of other things.

I call them out for everything they do wrong, so I don't know how you figure I'm just blindly defending them.

If anything I'm one of only a handful of people who is holding everyone accountable for their mistakes.

silvrhand
12-03-2009, 01:25 PM
In the last two weeks I've called out 'dre for all of his drops, Brown for getting destroyed by Mathis, Schaub for throwing stupid picks, D-Rob for sucking in run support, commiting stupid penalties, and having poor ball awareness, Kubes for a lot of things, Bush for not having the team prepared for VY's legs, Ryans, Pollard, and Cush for being weak in coverage, the interior O-Line for being an embarassment, and a whole host of other things.

I call them out for everything they do wrong, so I don't know how you figure I'm just blindly defending them.

If anything I'm one of only a handful of people who is holding everyone accountable for their mistakes.

/bow agree then maybe i'm just catching the opposite threads.

HJam72
12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
There needs to be several rule changes having to do with mandatory replay and the amount of yardage actually rewarded an offense on these calls. It's insane how often they make boneheaded calls on 40+ yard pass plays that always seem to favor the most popular QBs. Oh, and it just really fixes everything, including a demoralized young team for an entire second half, when they admit it 4 days later. Thanx so much, Mrs. Pereira Manning.

Next, they'll be giving a few select QBs 2 free throws from just outside the goal-line. No defender can move until after the ball touches a receiver.

badboy
12-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Reeves makes his money based on defending passes. He is probably greatful he ref acknowledge the error. I have to admit when I saw the replay of Reeves pulling the WR right arm down I thought "flag".

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 01:50 PM
On the bright side, no ref has taken a swing at one of our players yet. :specnatz:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2008/12/right_cross.jpg

Boom! Head Shot! :smiliedance:

badboy
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
On the bright side, no ref has taken a swing at one of our players yet. :specnatz:

Boom! Head Shot! :smiliedance:Just curious, are refs aloud to go to head? :wild:

HJam72
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Just curious, are refs aloud to go to head? :wild:

Only if it's Manning's. Oh, you dint say, "...give...?"

HJam72
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Boom! Head Shot! :smiliedance:

What a great show of the brain power of our current NFL refs! Dude is punching a man with a helmet and face-mask on, threatening to break only his own fist....and the offended is half his age and probably 3 times as strong...among other things. Great decision, Sherlock.

That guy musta been about to score on a popular team.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
What a great show of the brain power of our current NFL refs! Dude is punching a man with a helmet and face-mask on, threatening to break only his own fist....and the offended is half his age and probably 3 times as strong...among other things. Great decision, Sherlock.

That guy musta been about to score on a popular team.

Settle down sport. It's just a funny pic. :thisbig:

HJam72
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Settle down sport. It's just a funny pic. :thisbig:

I know but I been in a bad mood all week.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I know but I been in a bad mood all week.

You just need some purple.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/juliaherrero77/purpz-1.jpg

It will calm you down, and is proven to grow brain cells in mice!

eriadoc
12-03-2009, 02:17 PM
That was awful nice of Pereira, but I'm not sure that addresses accountability.

HJam72
12-03-2009, 02:30 PM

Well, let's see... If Pereira pays back all the ticket holders for that day...

He could get a too-stupid-2-fail, low-interest-loan from the federal gov't and spend the rest of his freaking life trying to pay it back. I'm fine with that...

Double Barrel
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM

yeah, that's what is funny, when he talks about being responsible for the blown calls. That would require accountability, and there simply is no liability for the NFL to admit making mistakes. O.K. great, you owned up to it, so what? It's like whip cream for dinner: empty.

Ckw
12-03-2009, 03:50 PM
You just need some purple.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/juliaherrero77/purpz-1.jpg

It will calm you down, and is proven to grow brain cells in mice!

Now I understand why you actually think Dunta is a good corner...

Indy Skinnz
12-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Are you going to answer my original questions or keep changing the subject?

The original question of perfect officiating in my eyes?

First off, I don't believe for a second that the refs or the NFL is out to get the Texans. That is an unspeakably dumb opinion - I don't know if you said that but there has been enough of that sentiment on here that is absolutely laughable. But I do think refs make incorrect calls because they are human and are fallable. The PI call was not a good one. But so what? Freaking stop them. Make a play. Or when they did allow a TD, it only got the Colts to a 6 point deficit. From there - Houston should have: scored more points, don't throw pick six TD, don't let Chad Simpson run through the entire Texans defense, don't celebrate a big hit and actually get ready for the next defensive snap. Do something to demonstrate toughness.

As far as bad calls against Indy, the Colts had two calls go against them just the week before that I thought were wrong according to the rules. There were two "fumbles" by the Ravens that the Colts recovered. Both were ruled fumbles on the field and overturned by replay, even though I have no idea how they could say there was indisputable video evidence to overturn. If the league want the Colts to be undefeated, why did these calls go against them? And even though they did go against them, they still competed and ended up winning because they are mentally tough.

And by the way, the Andre Johnson non TD catch was the correct call. Anyone saying otherwise does not know the rules. Johnson must complete the catch and as soon as the ball popped out, it was incomplete regardless of if he had both feet in and crossed the goal line in possession of the ball.

JB
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
The original question of perfect officiating in my eyes?

First off, I don't believe for a second that the refs or the NFL is out to get the Texans. That is an unspeakably dumb opinion - I don't know if you said that but there has been enough of that sentiment on here that is absolutely laughable. But I do think refs make incorrect calls because they are human and are fallable. The PI call was not a good one. But so what? Freaking stop them. Make a play. Or when they did allow a TD, it only got the Colts to a 6 point deficit. From there - Houston should have: scored more points, don't throw pick six TD, don't let Chad Simpson run through the entire Texans defense, don't celebrate a big hit and actually get ready for the next defensive snap. Do something to demonstrate toughness.

As far as bad calls against Indy, the Colts had two calls go against them just the week before that I thought were wrong according to the rules. There were two "fumbles" by the Ravens that the Colts recovered. Both were ruled fumbles on the field and overturned by replay, even though I have no idea how they could say there was indisputable video evidence to overturn. If the league want the Colts to be undefeated, why did these calls go against them? And even though they did go against them, they still competed and ended up winning because they are mentally tough.

And by the way, the Andre Johnson non TD catch was the correct call. Anyone saying otherwise does not know the rules. Johnson must complete the catch and as soon as the ball popped out, it was incomplete regardless of if he had both feet in and crossed the goal line in possession of the ball.

Go away little man...we no want no stinkin logic here!:polevault:

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Now I understand why you actually think Dunta is a good corner...

I think D-Rob is good in coverage(and not much else) because that's what the facts say.

ObsiWan
12-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Show me where the Colts or the Pats have to overcome bad calls and I'll agree with you. Most of the time they "get the call" and, theoretically, they're good enough to win, "bad calls or not".

No there's a bias for the "network draw" teams whether it's conscious or not. And being a conspiracy theorist, I think it is NFL Policy to make sure the "glory boys" make it to the big games.

silvrhand
12-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I think D-Rob is good in coverage(and not much else) because that's what the statistics say.

statistics don't turn into facts..

"There is a general perception that statistical knowledge is all-too-frequently intentionally misused (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Misuse_of_statistics) by finding ways to interpret only the data that are favorable to the presenter. A famous saying attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli) is, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics)." Harvard President Lawrence Lowell (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Lawrence_Lowell) wrote in 1909 that statistics, "...like veal pies, are good if you know the person that made them, and are sure of the ingredients.""

Thorn
12-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, I guess some of us are just gonna have to agree to disagree here. I just can not blame our 5-6 record on anyone but the players and coachs.

I do agree that the Texans have had the ass end of some terrible calls this season, there is no doubt about that. I also agree with the FACT that some QBs and teams get favoriable calls.

But still, the officials didn't fumble the damn ball on the damn goal line and miss those field goals and fail to make second half adjustments in games.

rush2112mn
12-03-2009, 05:22 PM
43 yard pass play.....dang......that was a big call.....it really did start the tumble down.....go figure.....

HJam72
12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Actually, I was waiting for something like that to happen. It's Manning.

We play the Pats in our last game, so expect it again....if pretty boy starts.

disaacks3
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
The original question of perfect officiating in my eyes? First off, I don't believe for a second that the refs or the NFL is out to get the Texans. I may be in the minority, but I don't think they are "out to get us" either. That said, Peyton gets a LOT of questionable calls that go HIS way. When a play is blown dead, Peyton points, and only THEN a flag is thrown, there's bound to be some (justified) complaining about it. This doesn't just happen against the Texans. I seem to remember a rather LARGE group of Colts fans getting in an uproar over non-called interference penalties while playing that team from New England a few years back. It was so painfully obvious in fact that a rule change was created to make mere contact beyond 5 yds. a penalty. These things have an ebb and flow that shouldn't exist at any level in officiating. I don't care who the "flavor of the month is" for marketing purposes, they are part of a team that should still get officiated by the same standards as everyone else. This is nothing new in the NFL, and right now #18 is the flavor.

And even though they did go against them, they still competed and ended up winning because they are mentally tough. I'm not buying that it had anything to do with "mental toughness". Having #18 on Offense can make a lot of mistakes just go away. Many teams (like the Texans) don't have that luxury.

And by the way, the Andre Johnson non TD catch was the correct call. Anyone saying otherwise does not know the rules. Johnson must complete the catch and as soon as the ball popped out, it was incomplete regardless of if he had both feet in and crossed the goal line in possession of the ball. Fully agreed. The new rules dictate that when the catch is IN the endzone that he must maintain control AFTER hitting the ground (if no steps were taken). I knew that challenge was a waste when the red flag was thrown.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 05:47 PM
statistics don't turn into facts..

"There is a general perception that statistical knowledge is all-too-frequently intentionally misused (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Misuse_of_statistics) by finding ways to interpret only the data that are favorable to the presenter. A famous saying attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Benjamin_Disraeli) is, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics)." Harvard President Lawrence Lowell (http://www.texanstalk.com/wiki/Lawrence_Lowell) wrote in 1909 that statistics, "...like veal pies, are good if you know the person that made them, and are sure of the ingredients.""

Since when are statistics anything other than facts?

Sta-tis-tics

–noun
1. (used with a singular verb) the science that deals with the collection, classification, analysis, and interpretation of numerical facts or data, and that, by use of mathematical theories of probability, imposes order and regularity on aggregates of more or less disparate elements.
2. (used with a plural verb) the numerical facts or data themselves.

Sta-tis-tic

–noun Statistics. a numerical fact or datum, esp. one computed from a sample.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/statistics

:worldpeace:

HJam72
12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
A lie is a fact. It just doesn't happen to be true.

Help any? :)

Imatexanfan
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
It just seems like every other game has a call that a ref goes against us, never the other way around, it's always AGAINST US...

I wonder what'll happen if we actually have a call for us, has that even happened?!:smiliedance:

BattleRedToro
12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
... but you can't beat the refs.

Yes, you can and I suggest you use a tire iron. :bat:

Corrosion
12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Its over and done with - they arent gonna do anything more about it - we may as well move on and forget it ever happened ....

At least it wasnt Mike Renfro in the endzone in the playoffs.

who am I kidding ...

ObsiWan
12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Yes, you can and I suggest you use a tire iron. :bat:

Just don't leave any witnesses and destroy - not hide - the bodies