PDA

View Full Version : Cushing Most Effective OLB in the NFL

barrett
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Brian Cushing is showing up in the pass rush, in coverage and against the run and rates as the league’s most effective outside linebacker.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB3&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

furthermore there is a huge disparity in the number of snaps compared to everyone else. He's more effective and playing every down.

beerlover
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
good find. it also seperates the 4-3 OLB with 3-4 OLB which shows how much more heavily weighted stats favor a 3-4 OLB (24.2 overall rating for DeMarcus Ware the leading 3-4 OLB to Cushing 12.5 rating).

Mario Williams is rated 4th among 4-3 DE behind Mathis #1 27.6 & Freeney #3 21.9 both of the Colts. Interesting Randy Starks leds the 3-4 DE rated 16.7 who is thriving in Miami but could not cut it in Tennsesses 4-3 (incidently was one of the draft choices picked up by the Titans (3rd.) in the Babin trade.

interesting footnote: Dunta Robinson is rated #101 among CB's

nunusguy
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
The 4-3 outside backer is the classic LB while the 3-4 OLB is really more of a hybrid position, a cross between the 4-3 OLB and DE. And like B-L pointed out, the Cushings are at a disadvantage against the Ware's in the statistical comparisons because of the bias towards pass-rushing stats.

Wolf
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
damn Walter sucks overall
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM
But I thought Dunta was the 18th best corner in the NFL and better than Darrell Revis? :lol:

Hervoyel
12-02-2009, 07:54 PM
But I thought Dunta was the 18th best corner in the NFL and better than Darrell Revis? :lol:

Damn Straight! He's having a career year. Pay the man Rick!

:sarcasm:

Wolf
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
30 LT (0), RT (11) Eric Winston HST 1.4
30 LT (11), RT (0) Duane Brown HST <-10.1>
their overall stats

Brown .. :yikes:
his pass blocking sucks and at <-6>

studdard <-11> ...

whole left side of the line stinks

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

holy smokes .. Myers really? 8.7?

CloakNNNdagger
12-02-2009, 08:35 PM

Dunta is getting top five CB money.............$10,000,000. If we extrapolate Dunta’s true value at his present ranking of #101 of #104, he would more appropriately be getting 1/20th of his salary.................~$500,000.................. around the minimum veteran salary number.

I agree with Dunta. Please pay him what he’s worth, Rick. :mcnugget:

Lucky
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry, but I'm not buying that Jerricho Cotchery and Davone Bess (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1) are having better years than Andre Johnson. I have to question the rest of these rankings, if they can blow that one.

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

Not that Cushing's not having a great rookie year. He's a beast. I just don't need these guys to tell me that.

m5kwatts
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
When is Cushing's Pro Bowl campaign going to begin? Forget ROTY, thats slighting the guy, hes the best SAM in the game right now IMO

Carr Bombed
12-02-2009, 08:49 PM
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

He's had a rough year this season.....Schuab and him never really got off on the right foot with the hammy issue and the slow start has kinda carried throughout the entire season. That's also another reason why everybody is so upset that Kubaik hasn't given Jacoby more snaps.

I still think Kevin is a excellent guy to have on the roster though......he's just having a down year....like so many other players that we needed to match last season's success ( Mario, Slaton, and the collective offensive line)

m5kwatts
12-02-2009, 08:49 PM

He's 3rd in the league in catch % though and as a former receiver (high school) all coaches I had would say THATS the most important stat to excel in

WesmanTexanfan
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Houston guard Kasey Studdard is poorly rated as both a run blocker and a pass blocker, but blocks very well on screen passes.

mmhmmm....

mussop
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM
mmhmmm....

He has made such an impact on our defense that I wouldnt mind seeing us go after another stud LB early in the draft. Having three playmaking tackling machines (Cushing, Ryans, stud Rookie) to spread across the feild sure would be fun to watch. And there are several REALLY GOOD ones in the upcoming draft.

Sorry, since the last loss I have really been getting into draft mode.

Cushing has made it fun to watch this defense. Its hard to imagine him getting any better but then you realize, hes just a rookie.

Kal
12-03-2009, 05:16 AM
He has made such an impact on our defense that I wouldnt mind seeing us go after another stud LB early in the draft. Having three playmaking tackling machines (Cushing, Ryans, stud Rookie) to spread across the feild sure would be fun to watch. And there are several REALLY GOOD ones in the upcoming draft.

Sorry, since the last loss I have really been getting into draft mode.

Cushing has made it fun to watch this defense. Its hard to imagine him getting any better but then you realize, hes just a rookie.

I'd say linebacker is the least of your needs. You saw in the Colts games how teams can effectively turn you into a two linebacker team (check out our player participation to see how much Diles was on the field, and half of those snaps came close to garbage time). Plus Diles is a pretty good player.

I thought it was stupid when Seattle took Curry and kept Hill because effectively you may have 3 very good linebackers, but you'll play in the nickel so much one of them will not see enough time to make them good value.

Kal
12-03-2009, 05:19 AM
Sorry, but I'm not buying that Jerricho Cotchery and Davone Bess (http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=WR&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1) are having better years than Andre Johnson. I have to question the rest of these rankings, if they can blow that one.

http://www.realfreewebsites.com/blog/img/fail2.jpg

Not that Cushing's not having a great rookie year. He's a beast. I just don't need these guys to tell me that.

Its not about who is having a better year. Its about looking at what people are doing and assessing them on each play. Johnson loses marks because he has dropped a lot of passes and from watching him intently we see a guy who doesn't always play consistently through games (but does make big plays). Not saying he's not great, but in a pass focused attack like yours he'll always get a chance to make more plays that make you forget some of his mistakes.

I haven't seen much of Bess but he's such an effective receiver at what he does. Cotchery perhaps even more so with Sanchez throwing the ball. If there is one receiver who isn't rated (by the media) anywhere near where he should be its Cotchery. Real fun guy to watch.

Kal
12-03-2009, 05:21 AM
He's 3rd in the league in catch % though and as a former receiver (high school) all coaches I had would say THATS the most important stat to excel in

Walter has a good grade in the pass, but is let down by his run grade. I would imagine some of this is when he gets lined up on the end of the line and left on a linebacker/ defensive end, but even in normal play he isn't a great run blocker on the perimeter. Its something we'll work on in the off season to allow users the function to weight the categories as they see fit (obviously how a receiver does in the pass game is more important than the work they do as a run blocker)

Lucky
12-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Its not about who is having a better year. Its about looking at what people are doing and assessing them on each play. Johnson loses marks because he has dropped a lot of passes and from watching him intently we see a guy who doesn't always play consistently through games (but does make big plays).
So 8 dropped passes over the course of 11 games trump the quantity and quality of plays Johnson has produced? AJ has 63-945-5. Cotchery 36-586-3. Bess 46-399-0. Your rankings suggest that these receivers are playing at a higher level than AJ. I think you have to question whatever metrics were used in determining that absurd conclusion.

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Their ratings are based on play making/play botching.

I've said many times that Dunta Robinson is not a play maker.
I've said many times that Dunta Robinson has bellow average to poor ball awareness.
I've said many times that Dunta Robinson sucks against the run.

I agree with where they have him in terms of what the rating is based on. How many times did you make a good play when thrown at, and how many times did you make a bad play.

I don't agree in terms of what a corner's actuall job is.

A corner has 1 primary role: Do not allow your man to catch the ball.

Dunta Robinson is 16th in the league in that all important statistic, allowing his man to catch the ball just 7.4% of all plays he spends in coverage.

Some corners do that with great recovery speed, ball awareness to break up passes/get INTs, or slobber knocking the receiver to force a drop.

Guys Like Robinson and Asomugha do it by staying in their man's hip pock and forcing the QB to throw somewhere else. Robinson is the 3rd least thrown at corner in the NFL.

So, to recap: Robinson lacks ball awareness, isn't a play maker, and sucks in run support, but is very good in the corner's primary role of coverage.

Darrelle Revis is also very good in coverage, and has the other skills that Robinson doesn't. Ball Awareness, soft hands, closing burst, and can actually tackle. That's why he shows up as a good player in both coverage statistics and playmaker ratings.

dc_txtech
12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
This site is a really good place to find statistics but like others have said, I disagree with a lot of the conclusions. Owen Daniels as the 28th ranked TE? 3 spots behind Dreesen? I don't know about that.

One stat that popped out at me was the QB rating for passes thrown into Cushings coverage, 53.5. That's a full ten points lower than any other 4/3 OLB in the league.

cj5776
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think these stats do an effective job of ranking players. If I run a quarter of a mile at a faster pace than the gold medal marathon runner does than make me a better runner than him? Of course not. Role players that have potential for more will always look very efficent. AJ is a huge part of our offensive and yes sometimes we force the ball to him and yes he does have drops. Cothery plays with great running backs and has a rookie QB, he does not have the same role. He is more effective in a smaller role, so what. AJ is special because of his total production, coming through in the clutch, and the number of snaps he is involved in.

Vinny
12-06-2009, 11:23 AM

It's another one of those "stats are for baseball" things. People try as they might to statistically stack players up like you do in baseball but this is yet another example of why statistical evaluation doesn't translate in football as it does in a sport like baseball. Remember when these sites tried to tell us that David Carr was one of the NFL's elite QB's and the guys giving him grief were all just haters because their statistical analysis said so?