PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Easterbrook's TMQB

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
The article is about the football gods looking down on teams. That play may be Dunta's ticket out...if his regular play wasn't already.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091201&sportCat=nfl

Sweet Unknowns of the Week: As Houston kicked a field goal to take a 17-0 lead over Indianapolis, Spenser, my 14-year-old, pronounced of the Texans, "They're doomed." And yea, verily, it came to pass. From that point on, the Indianapolis defense controlled the game while Peyton Manning's offense methodically ground its way forward.

With Bob Sanders and Marlin Jackson out for the season, and Dwight Freeney missing the contest with an injury, the Colts' defense started no one drafted higher than the third round. Big plays were made by Colts defensive starters Gary Brackett, Daniel Muir, Melvin Bullitt and Jacob Lacey, all of whom were undrafted free agents. Pierre Garçon, out of Division III Mount Union, caught a touchdown pass. Chad Simpson, undrafted out of Division I-AA Morgan State, scored a touchdown, breaking three tackles when Houston players tried to strip the ball. Robert Mathis, a low draft pick out of Division I-AA Alabama A&M, not only stripped Matt Schaub of the ball to set up the game-icing touchdown, he did so while being held by the Moo Cows' offensive line. I don't know what's in the water in Indiana, but it seems to turn unknowns into football players.

As for Houston's latest meltdown against the Colts, with the Texans leading 20-14, Dunta Robinson made a routine tackle on Joseph Addai, and then jumped up dancing like he'd just recorded a remarkable achievement that would be studied by future historians. As Texans players slapped hands with each other, Peyton Manning hurried the Colts to the line for a quick-snap and a 31-yard gain. Absurd enough is the NFL habit of defenders celebrating routine tackles. You dance after you win, not before! And if you're Houston, you don't win

http://i45.tinypic.com/htxvs2.jpg

Bob Levey/Getty Images
"We lost 17-point leads at home to Indianapolis in consecutive years. We must be the Houston Texans

Goatcheese
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Defenders celebrate big hits, and good plays all the time. Watch Ray Lewis after he smokes somebody.

It isn't Robinson's fault that the rest of the team were out of position. He covered his man just fine on the next play.

If you want to know why Robinson may be on his way out look at his pitiful attempt to tackle Simpson.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Defenders celebrate big hits, and good plays all the time. Watch Ray Lewis after he smokes somebody.

It isn't Robinson's fault that the rest of the team were out of position. He covered his man just fine on the next play.

If you want to know why Robinson may be on his way out look at his pitiful attempt to tackle Simpson.

The problem is that he is allegedly a leader. Wouldn't a leader have jumped up, told his guys to get back in position and to play ball instead of running to the 5 yard line, etc? Yeah other guys do it but they also are ready the next play. But as I said, his play all season is the main reason.

I made the mistake of bringing him up when really I just thought the comments overall were telling. I've seen multiple national outlets now trying to figure out this team.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Problem is that he sucks

Sorry Frog, I had to correct your post.

No More 8-8's
12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
bottom line is the hit was great and all, but.......

1) He still caught the freaking ball, sure he bobbled it, but the fact is the hit did nothing to him.

2) The pass was for a GAIN! I could understand getting pumped up about a tackle for loss, but the colts got yardage out of the play

3) Dunta's attitude sparked the rest of the team to come celebrate with him, causing a mass confusion that led to a large gain to Austin Collie.

nunusguy
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Problem is that he is allegedly a leader. Wouldn't a leader have jumped up, told his guys to get back in position and to play ball instead of running to the 5 yard line, etc? Yeah other guys do it but they also are ready the next play. But as I said, his play all season is the main reason.

I made the mistake of bringing him up when really I just thought the comments overall were telling. I've seen multiple national outlets now trying to figure out this team.

You got it right Froggy. He's been playing the wily Peyton every year, twice a year since coming into the NFL after the 2004 Draft and he knows or certainly should know this is exactly the kind of play Manning would make.
And clearly Robinson really has less interest in this teams prospects now and for the future than his own opportunities beyond the end of this season with whichever team(s) bid for his services in FA. And frankly I'm gonna be interested to see where he ends up and what his alleged version is of
the whole deal he had with Rick Smith involving contract negotiations, promises made re not tagging him, etc. ?

TimeKiller
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Ray Lewis, perennial probowler and one time champion, leader of a defense that has been feared as much as it's been studied, guy who has actually put people on IR with his hits > Dunta Robinson, who's greatest achievement is......?

Second Honeymoon
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Dunta sucks. I am thankful for him calling out Carr and basically bringing everythign to a head back then, but his play on the field just sucks.

Let some other team pay him, Rick.

Hervoyel
12-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Ray Lewis, perennial probowler and one time champion, leader of a defense that has been feared as much as it's been studied, guy who has actually put people on IR with his hits > Dunta Robinson, who's greatest achievement is......?

Exactly. The next Pro Bowl season Dunta puts together will be his first and yet he's our defenses "leader" somehow, as much by default as anything he does on the field. He did lead the defense Sunday though. He led them in a retarded "I'm gonna be on ESPN!" party while the Colts proceeded to go about the tedious business of actually winning the game.

Double Barrel
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
With Bob Sanders and Marlin Jackson out for the season, and Dwight Freeney missing the contest with an injury, the Colts' defense started no one drafted higher than the third round.

wow...just....wow... :mcnugget:

As far as D.Rob, it was typical to celebrate a routine tackle, because he can't celebrate those awesome interceptions that he has not caught this season.

Seeing Manning do that, which is pretty routine as we all know these many years, is also typical of a Houston Texans defensive coordinator to be caught with his pants down. These players should have been schooled in the no-huddle and should have been ready for if they had a coach that really wanted to run with the big dogs.

This team is becoming the Keystone Cops of the NFL, and only myopic Koolaide drinkers deny it while the rest of the nation just points and laughs and marks a WIN if they see the Texans on their schedule. We are that team now.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
wow...just....wow... :mcnugget:

As far as D.Rob, it was typical to celebrate a routine tackle, because he can't celebrate those awesome interceptions that he has not caught this season.

Seeing Manning do that, which is pretty routine as we all know these many years, is also typical of a Houston Texans defensive coordinator to be caught with his pants down. These players should have been schooled in the no-huddle and should have been ready for if they had a coach that really wanted to run with the big dogs.

This team is becoming the Keystone Cops of the NFL, and only myopic Koolaide drinkers deny it while the rest of the nation just points and laughs and marks a WIN if they see the Texans on their schedule. We are that team now.

I was just about to comment on this since Nun brought it up about too.

I played ball in high school....not college or the pros. Our coach was an old school college player who was about discipline, keeping your head on, etc. This was a smaller school but we were serious, studied film, tendacies, etc. There were games where we saw formations and could call out what play was coming. I'd love seeing the looks on the opponents faces. Especially on special teams where they only ran fakes out of certain formations.

All the above said, I'm not sure how you can play in the NFL and not have the same focus that I did in high school. How can you not make a hit, see Manning walking to the line (probably giving hand signals and getting his team set) and not made your own calls and put guys in position. To me that is a lack of many things...concentration, judgement and in caring. That comes from the coach. I'd have been benched for a series if I had done that in my little world of high school ball.

Goatcheese
12-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Was there something in there related to what I said? I must have missed it.

I said Lewis celebrates his big hits, and nobody criticizes him for it.

People are blaming Robinson for the team not getting back in position. That's just stupid. It's not like D-Rob was running around in circles doing cartwheels while Manning threw the next pass. He had his man covered, and made Manning look somewhere else.

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM

People are blaming Robinson for the team not getting back in position. That's just stupid. It's not like D-Rob was running around in circles doing cartwheels while Manning threw the next pass. He had his man covered, and made Manning look somewhere else.

It's a problem because if you are a "leader" of a defense then it is your job to "lead" and to watch out for Manning doing this and for you to alert your teammates. Just because his one guy was covered doesn't excuse him for being a show-boat who was running around. Other guys like Lewis do it and their team is in the huddle or in position because they are calling D signals and ready. It's called team.

Mr. White
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Here's what I don't understand.....

Would it have absolutely killed someone to call a timeout while they were out of position and ripe to get burned?

Gary doesn't know how to use timeouts anyway. That would require some skill in clock management.

Goatcheese
12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
It's a problem because if you are a "leader" of a defense then it is your job to "lead" and to watch out for Manning doing this and for you to alert your teammates. Just because his one guy was covered doesn't excuse him for being a show-boat who was running around. Other guys like Lewis do it and their team is in the huddle or in position because they are calling D signals and ready. It's called team.

Who said Robinson is a leader? He's a guy who was forced to stay here with the franchise tag. Ryans is the Defensive leader. Why don't you blame him for not having his guys in position?

Double Barrel
12-02-2009, 01:36 PM

I am usually on the same page with you, Goatcheese, so this is not meant to criticize.

But Ray Lewis has the credentials and resume to afford that kind of display without getting criticized. Plus, he DEMANDS more from his entire team than the entire Texans collective body demands of this franchise.

Lewis can celebrate because opposing teams respect and fear him. D.Rob just looks like a dumbass out there jumping around to be quite honest. He has absolutely no resume or credentials to justify acting like a doofus after a routine tackle. JMO

p.s. I'm not defending Lewis, because I really dislike the routine play celebrations from any given player, but just making reference of the lack of equilibrium when comparing these two specific players.

TimeKiller
12-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Then you've missed a couple things about Drob. The players of his team have called him a leader. I think that's a pretty good indication. A 1st rounder who ranks among the most veteran of players on this team SHOULD be a leader.

Nobody criticizes Ray Lewis because dude has been there, done it, done it again, did it one more time and then still did it even though it's probably time for him to fall off. That's my point.

Maybe DRob didn't give up that pass. Fine. He definitely shifted the focus to himself though, for something that isn't a big deal and it cost the team, a cycle I think we're all pretty used to by now. If you think I'm making this up, go ahead and listen to Peyton's interview where he calls out the D for being unprepared for the next play. I wonder what caused that?

HoustonFrog
12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Who said Robinson is a leader? He's a guy who was forced to stay here with the franchise tag. Ryans is the Defensive leader. Why don't you blame him for not having his guys in position?

The team, the organization and himself....thus his contract demands. It is why I put the word leader in quotes. It is just something that he claims to be and so do his teammates. It was a bad move. For all we knew the guy he covered was the wrong one and in his vacinity.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150

Bush said that the hard-hitting Robinson, an emotional leader within the Texans locker room, epitomizes the attacking style that he expects to see out of his defense next season.

"That's what he brings," Bush said. "He brings passion. He's a guy that's accountable. He's tough. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and has a burning desire to win. You want him to be around; you want him to affect the rest of the players with that type of attitude. You want that type of attitude to permeate throughout your defense. We're excited as hell to get him back."

Goatcheese
12-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I am usually on the same page with you, Goatcheese, so this is not meant to criticize.

But Ray Lewis has the credentials and resume to afford that kind of display without getting criticized. Plus, he DEMANDS more from his entire team than the entire Texans collective body demands of this franchise.

Lewis can celebrate because opposing teams respect and fear him. D.Rob just looks like a dumbass out there jumping around to be quite honest. He has absolutely no resume or credentials to justify acting like a doofus after a routine tackle. JMO

p.s. I'm not defending Lewis, because I really dislike the routine play celebrations from any given player, but just making reference of the lack of equilibrium when comparing these two specific players.

Obviously Ray Ray is a superstar player, and D-Rob is... well... not.

I am not a fan of the showboating after a play either, unless you're standing in the opponents endzone after putting up some points.

My points are very simple and straight forward:

1. D-Rob showboated, then turned around and did his job. He didn't force anybody else to fail at their job, and any blame for their failure is squarely on their own shoulders.
2. Lewis is just an example, pick any high profile player you want. Nobody would be pointing the finger at Cushing in the same situation. They would be on the players who didn't get reset and gave up the big play.

Then you've missed a couple things about Drob. The players of his team have called him a leader. I think that's a pretty good indication. A 1st rounder who ranks among the most veteran of players on this team SHOULD be a leader.

Nobody criticizes Ray Lewis because dude has been there, done it, done it again, did it one more time and then still did it even though it's probably time for him to fall off. That's my point.

Maybe DRob didn't give up that pass. Fine. He definitely shifted the focus to himself though, for something that isn't a big deal and it cost the team, a cycle I think we're all pretty used to by now. If you think I'm making this up, go ahead and listen to Peyton's interview where he calls out the D for being unprepared for the next play. I wonder what caused that?

The players celebrating with D-Rob and not getting reset.

They're professionals. It's no ones fault but their own if they get distracted and don't do their job.

If Robinson had not gotten in position and given up the big play then I would be all over him.

The team, the organization and himself....thus his contract demands. It is why I put the word leader in quotes. It is just something that he claims to be and so do his teammates. It was a bad move. For all we knew the guy he covered was the wrong one and in his vacinity.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150

Well, if they say he's a leader then I stand corrected. It certainly doesn't look like he's leading anyone from what I've seen. When they show him on the sidelines he's usually either pouting or screwing around.

Generally team leaders don't try their damnedest to get off the team either.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
To me, it is more of focusing the game. It was nice DRob got big hit but game was still in play and every players on D side should continue to focus on Colts O. For DRob, he should realize that he is one of the oldest player( seniority) for Texans D and naturally other players look up to him and whatever he does will effect other Texans in some degree. ( Like you look up to your older brother)

To understand this, just put this case in an ordinary business world. Your colleague from work makes big business deal for company, wouldn't you say congrats to your colleague? You just say congrat to him/her momentary and get back to business and you may celebrate after work hours. But you wouldn't continuously celebrate during office hours right? Because, you would get in trouble with your boss(company) This is what happen to DRob's play.

So, it is on everyone who did not focus on game and as one of leader for D and seniority player, DRob should also realize that celebration after play was just too long.

Go Texans!!!

silvrhand
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Goat,

A leader would have gotten up and made sure everyone was getting ready for the play.
When you are the top dollar defensive player on the field, you SHOULD be a leader.
When you are the veteran on defense, and noone is leading you should be the leader..

Oh wait we have leadership issues.. which have been obvious on offense at least on defense we've got some hopeful people emerging.

Obviously Ray Ray is a superstar player, and D-Rob is... well... not.

I am not a fan of the showboating after a play either, unless you're standing in the opponents endzone after putting up some points.

My points are very simple and straight forward:

1. D-Rob showboated, then turned around and did his job. He didn't force anybody else to fail at their job, and any blame for their failure is squarely on their own shoulders.
2. Lewis is just an example, pick any high profile player you want. Nobody would be pointing the finger at Cushing in the same situation. They would be on the players who didn't get reset and gave up the big play.

The players celebrating with D-Rob and not getting reset.

They're professionals. It's no ones fault but their own if they get distracted and don't do their job.

If Robinson had not gotten in position and given up the big play then I would be all over him.

Well, if they say he's a leader then I stand corrected. It certainly doesn't look like he's leading anyone from what I've seen. When they show him on the sidelines he's usually either pouting or screwing around.

Generally team leaders don't try their damnedest to get off the team either.

Big Lou
12-02-2009, 11:14 PM

10 million a year for one play a game, what a deal. I agree with TMQ, tackling is your job, you don't see me doing the irish jig after I coallate properly at the copy machine!!!!!

Goatcheese
12-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Goat,

A leader would have gotten up and made sure everyone was getting ready for the play.
When you are the top dollar defensive player on the field, you SHOULD be a leader.
When you are the veteran on defense, and noone is leading you should be the leader..

Oh wait we have leadership issues.. which have been obvious on offense at least on defense we've got some hopeful people emerging.

That's what I'm saying. D-Rob doesn't really come across as a leader to me.

10 million a year for one play a game, what a deal. I agree with TMQ, tackling is your job, you don't see me doing the irish jig after I coallate properly at the copy machine!!!!!

You should! :goodluck: