PDA

View Full Version : Saints Know How to Finish!

HOU-TEX
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
The Saints were up 2 TDs last night to the Pats (sound familiar?). I watched a team that knew what to do with a lead against a very good team. The Pats came out and drove down the field for a TD. What did the Saints do? Well, they answered the Pats by scoring a TD in less than 4 plays.

I sure hope Kubiak had his team watching that game last night. That was a team on a mission and never took their foot off the neck of the Pats.

Texans, watch and learn, cuz it's obvious your coach isn't teaching you. ****in ***holes! :mcnugget:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Yeah, Saints know how to finish and we know how to be finished. lol Just kidding. I never give up on the Texans!!!

Go Texans!!!

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
#u(k the Saints. They'll fold like a cheap card table in the play offs. I remain un-impressed.

HOU-TEX
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
#u(k the Saints. They'll fold like a cheap card table in the play offs. I remain un-impressed.

So be it, but they'll at least be IN the playoffs.

Personally, I like the Saints. Not so much the owner, but the way Payton has rebuilt the team the right way. I think Brees is an excellent QB and should be right up there with Brady and Manning.

mootini
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey, another AFC team lost last night, good for all those fighting for a spot.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

Personally, I like the Saints. Not so much the owner, but the way Payton has rebuilt the team the right way. I think Brees is an excellent QB and should be right up there with Brady and Manning.

Feh.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Agree. the Saints are for real. The won't have to worry about folding right away either because they will probably have a bye. How can you not be impressed with a team that goes for the throat, has a prolific offense and whose defense is now a top group?

kastofsna
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
the Saints know how to finish because they're the most talented team in the league in all phases of the game. it's not just that easy to say "hey guys, go finish this game, kthx." you need boatloads of talent, and they got it.

also, there's no reason whatsoever to remain "unimpressed" by the Saints, aside from personal bias for whatever reason, which dread clearly has. the Saints have the best offense in the league and a dominanting and devastating defense that does not make mistakes and gets turnovers and puts TONS of pressure on the quarterback. clearly the best team in the league.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a buddy from school that is a Saints fan and he keeps putting these up on Facebook

http://i50.tinypic.com/28buyas.jpg

If your life seems to be stuck in 3rd and long, just ask yourself, "What Would Breesus Do?"

http://i47.tinypic.com/k3t2xu.jpg

Breesus sighting --- out for his morning walk...

kastofsna
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
thanks to Nick Saban, Miami turned down Breesus for Culpepper

HOU-TEX
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a buddy from school that is a Saints fan and he keeps putting these up on Facebook

http://i50.tinypic.com/28buyas.jpg

If your life seems to be stuck in 3rd and long, just ask yourself, "What Would Breesus Do?"

http://i47.tinypic.com/k3t2xu.jpg

Breesus sighting --- out for his morning walk...

Ha, those are pretty cool. Especially the first picture.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
the Saints know how to finish because they're the most talented team in the league in all phases of the game. it's not just that easy to say "hey guys, go finish this game, kthx." you need boatloads of talent, and they got it.

also, there's no reason whatsoever to remain "unimpressed" by the Saints, aside from personal bias for whatever reason, which dread clearly has. the Saints have the best offense in the league and a dominanting and devastating defense that does not make mistakes and gets turnovers and puts TONS of pressure on the quarterback. clearly the best team in the league.

A...a...a....a..."weakschedule"...chooo! (sniffle) sorry. I must be coming down with a cold. Aside from thier last game, the Aints haven't really anyone.

kastofsna
12-01-2009, 01:17 PM
they've pretty much destroyed every NFL team they've faced. they're not playing NAIA schools, they're playing NFL teams, and winning with ease.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 01:20 PM
A...a...a....a..."weakschedule"...chooo! (sniffle) sorry. I must be coming down with a cold. Aside from thier last game, the Aints haven't really anyone.

Really? Philly, Jets(Week 4), Giants, Dolphins, Falcons and Patriots....not murderers row but all teams that are in the mix.

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Saints are for real. I can't stand their fans for the most part, but their team is damn good and on fire this year.

I don't see them losing a game the rest of the year unless Atlanta ambushes them at home. Their offense is just too consistently explosive and their defense has quality coaching now in Gregg Williams. He has flipped the whole script with that team.

Sadly, Gregg Williams could have been our DC but that would have meant Kubiak would have had to hire from outside the Denver Mafia. He decided to promote from within and reward failure in hiring Bush. Bush hasn't been horrible but I think its ssafe to say that Williams has done a far superior job with less talent as well. Oh, another thing. Why didn't we go after Darren Sharper? Did the Texans burn bridges with the Sharper family when they so rudely discared Jaime after he didn't fall in line behind Carr?

Double Barrel
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
I've always liked the Saints ever since Bum and Earl were on the team. It was heartbreaking as an Oilers fan, but that was the beginning of my awareness of how vile Slug Adams is.

jlam
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Damn son, them's some sour ass grapes you're sucking on.

Like kast said, what do you want us to do about it. We destroyed Philly at their place, the Jets and Giants were both undefeated when we dismantled them and sent them into a tailspin, and N.E. is always solid. We've been taking a lot of mediocre teams' best shots for a month and a half now in the midst of a "slump" (comparatively speaking) and have somehow stayed upright each time.

I mean you could end up being right and we lose in the playoffs - anything can happen. But sit and say "meh" at the team who is putting up the 4th most points since the merger smells like sour grapes.

El Tejano
12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing. NO stayed aggressive with their strength and didn't take their foot off the pedal. NO does have a great running game though, which makes that easier to do. I would say the difference is their OL though. They could bull rush a run, and protect Brees forever. That always makes for a winning combination.

I don't know about Sharper but what about the reasons we didn't go after Mike Mckenzie or Chris Mccalister when Reeves went down. Instead we went for Deltha Oneal (Denver man). Instead we are stuck with Dunta RoBURNEDson and Mckenzie is picking off Tom Brady to Moss and Mcalister is keeping all other WR not named Moss in check.

jlam
12-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Saints are for real. I can't stand their fans for the most part, but their team is damn good and on fire this year.

I don't see them losing a game the rest of the year unless Atlanta ambushes them at home. Their offense is just too consistently explosive and their defense has quality coaching now in Gregg Williams. He has flipped the whole script with that team.

Sadly, Gregg Williams could have been our DC but that would have meant Kubiak would have had to hire from outside the Denver Mafia. He decided to promote from within and reward failure in hiring Bush. Bush hasn't been horrible but I think its ssafe to say that Williams has done a far superior job with less talent as well. Oh, another thing. Why didn't we go after Darren Sharper? Did the Texans burn bridges with the Sharper family when they so rudely discared Jaime after he didn't fall in line behind Carr?

Regarding the schedule I agree with you that Atlanta is the toughest game left to me. Divisional game at their house and they could potentially still be fighting for a wild card berth. Besides that one, the last game against Carolina is also away and we always struggle with the Panthers. No matter the apparent talent differential, they just play us well pretty much every time. There could also be the potential of having home field advantage locked up by then and resting some starters a large majority of the game. Payton isn't Belichick in that regard.

El Tejano
12-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Damn son, them's some sour ass grapes your sucking on.

Like kast said, what do you want us to do about it. We destroyed Philly at their place, the Jets and Giants were both undefeated when we dismantled them and sent them into a tailspin, and N.E. is always solid. We've been taking a lot of mediocre teams' best shots for a month and a half now in the midst of a "slump" (comparatively speaking) and have somehow stayed upright each time.

I mean you could end up being right and we lose in the playoffs - anything can happen. But sit and say "meh" at the team who is putting up the 4th most points since the merger smells like sour grapes.

For Texans fans, we are past sour grapes and dealing with sour farts.

I agree though, that showing showed me that NO is the best undefeated team.

jlam
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. NO stayed aggressive with their strength and didn't take their foot off the pedal. NO does have a great running game though, which makes that easier to do. I would say the difference is their OL though. They could bull rush a run, and protect Brees forever. That always makes for a winning combination.

I don't know about Sharper but what about the reasons we didn't go after Mike Mckenzie or Chris Mccalister when Reeves went down. Instead we went for Deltha Oneal (Denver man). Instead we are stuck with Dunta RoBURNEDson and Mckenzie is picking off Tom Brady to Moss and Mcalister is keeping all other WR not named Moss in check.

If I were going to dwell on not picking up one of the two formerly unemployed black Irish cornerbacks, it'd have to be McKenzie. McAlister looked ok, but if not for a couple of overthrows last night he'd have been burned up top (and he quit on that long heave to Moss as well). He may well just need a couple weeks to get his legs back, but I'm not as sold on him as I am the Predator just yet.

McKenzie looked fantastic, though. As far as why nobody else signed him is tough to say. Could be equal parts him just not being physically ready yet and him holding out hope to come back to NO, where he really just absolutely loves it. He said he's attended every home game this season in a suite to be able to watch the D schemes and he's just a really prominent figure in the community. He's at every Hornets home game and is seen all over the city. So I'm thinking that could have played a bit of a part as well. :dunno:

jlam
12-01-2009, 01:42 PM
For Texans fans, we are past sour grapes and dealing with sour farts.

I agree though, that showing showed me that NO is the best undefeated team.

The Texans remind me a lot of the '07 and '08 Saints. You guys need to look into drafting a couple of monster maulers on the interior of your Oline and just start having the ability to skull**** some dudes when needed. That's been the biggest difference to me so far for us. Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans might be the most important part of our team that nobody talks about.

RazorOye
12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
#u(k the Saints. They'll fold like a cheap card table in the play offs.

Feh.

really digging deep into that bag of rhetorical tricks, eh?

cutesy art-deco F-word? Check!
outdated and thoroughly unoriginal simile? Check!
three-letter mindless internet meme? Check!
juvenile schoolyard sneeze/cough passive-aggressive insult? Check!
lame, totally cliche, totally unsupported SoS argument? Check!

I remain un-impressed.

That makes two of us.

Lame on.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Regarding the schedule I agree with you that Atlanta is the toughest game left to me. Divisional game at their house and they could potentially still be fighting for a wild card berth. Besides that one, the last game against Carolina is also away and we always struggle with the Panthers. No matter the apparent talent differential, they just play us well pretty much every time. There could also be the potential of having home field advantage locked up by then and resting some starters a large majority of the game. Payton isn't Belichick in that regard.

I think the Cowboys will be tough...of course I do. They can give up the big play but I think they might also be able to do some things against your secondary. Last night they were great but other times it has been ok. I'm not saying the Boys win...just a good game.

Atlanta just let Josh Freeman put up 250 and 2 Tds. They also have a backup QB and backup RBs right now and could in 2 weeks.

RazorOye
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
The Texans remind me a lot of the '07 and '08 Saints. You guys need to look into drafting a couple of monster maulers on the interior of your Oline and just start having the ability to skull**** some dudes when needed. That's been the biggest difference to me so far for us. Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans might be the most important part of our team that nobody talks about.

second this

I watch - and have watched - a lot of Texans games. And I've been to as many Texans games live (2) as I have Saints games. Watching the Texans this year reminds me a LOT of watching the Saints the last couple of years. Strong offense. Moving the ball well between the 20s. Heartbreaking losses. Inability to hold leads. Questionable secondary.

I think the Texans are a lot closer to the playoffs than it feels right now.

The 3 biggest changes I've seen in the last few years for us -

1. As jlam said - the guards. Nicks and Evans are the best guard combo in the NFL. Yes, I would put them ahead of the Minny pair. They make a HUGE difference. Evans is the most underrated in the league the last couple years imo - and Nicks might become better. Goodwin at center has really really matured and the interior of our line, I'd put with anyone. Seeing what they did last night to Wilfork was masterful for much of the game. But that's been most of the season. They have a nasty streak and play with attitude - I like that.

2. The defensive backfield - unreal. Porter and Greer are among the best starting CB tandems in the NFL. Sharper has been a monster for us. And this has allowed Harper to play closer to the LoS - which is his strength. Watching Gibbs the last few years put Harper in coverage over the top - only to watch him blow it - was frustrating. Williams knows his players strengths and plays to them. But Porter and Greer allow for the defense to do more with the front 7. It really does mask a lot of DLine shortcomings. We were without our two starting DTs for a while and with those DBs, we managed to hang in there defensively.

I think the Texans need to fix the secondary and you'll see the dividends with the front 7. And that could be scary. Ryans, Cushing, and Williams in the Front 7? And all young? That could spell disaster for the AFC for a long time - I just think the secondary hurts the defense and you see how that dominoes from the back of the defense to the front.

3. Gregg Williams - amazing hire. Has transformed the defense. The scheme is different. The attitude is different. The personnel is largely the same. We did get Porter back from injury. Greer and Sharper were $$$$ additions. But Williams can really do some amazing things.

I think the Texans could use some coaching changes - whether it's HC or OC or DC or combination - y'all would know better than I. But I do know that bringing in a DC worth his weight made all the difference for the personnel we already had.

And realize I say all of this with the following caveat:

The Saints have a LONG way to go. So I'm not sitting here saying that they are a model franchise or anything. We've yet to prove ourselves in the playoffs and, as a Saints fan, I take nothing for granted.

We could very well fall flat on our damned faces in the playoffs. And I wouldn't be shocked.

I just say these things because when I watch the Texans this year, I see a lot of the same frustrations I had as a Saints fan the last few years.

jlam
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I think the Cowboys will be tough...of course I do. They can give up the big play but I think they might also be able to do some things against your secondary. Last night they were great but other times it has been ok. I'm not saying the Boys win...just a good game.

Atlanta just let Josh Freeman put up 250 and 2 Tds. They also have a backup QB and backup RBs right now and could in 2 weeks.

Derrr. I meant to add in the Cowboys game after I talked about the Carolina game but forgot. I agree with you though. I think if we have Greer back by the Dallas game then they'll have a tough time getting Austin open. That and the amazing night game Superdome atmosphere I think work in our favor for that particular game.

What you said about Atlanta would have to be considered the worst case scenario for them as far as potentially missing both Turner and Ryan. But for sure it's a strong possibility. And yeah their defensive secondary is pretty much in shambles.

Thanks for helping me ease my concerns about that game. :thumbsup:

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM

As far as our O-line goes, you may not be aware but both our guards went down early in the season. While they weren't world beaters, the O-line appears to be much worse off without them. We do however, need a center. Other than a center upgrade and a damn big runner running back, I'm pretty okay with our offense. Defense OTOH, not so much. Interior D-line is just turrrrible. Corners, suck. I like Pollard at safety, but he ain't knocking the piss out of people. LB's are fine.

brakos82
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/OleMissCub17/WhoDat300.gif

:lol:

jlam
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
As far as our O-line goes, you may not be aware but both our guards went down early in the season. While they weren't world beaters, the O-line appears to be much worse off without them. We do however, need a center. Other than a center upgrade and a damn big runner running back, I'm pretty okay with our offense. Defense OTOH, not so much. Interior D-line is just turrrrible. Corners, suck. I like Pollard at safety, but he ain't knocking the piss out of people. LB's are fine.

I didn't know about the guards, thanks for cluing me in. I see and mostly agree with your point about not worrying about the offense and concentrating on the defense. It's important for sure to shore up those holes in the D - we had to do it and so will you. But I just thought it was worth mentioning that, for the past few years, I wasn't "worried" about our offense either. The re-committal to the running game and the requisite ability to pick up those short yardage situations reliably as well as ice the game by gashing teams in the 2nd half has really added a big something to our arsenal that I overlooked.

What do you think about the ZBS? I mean I know everyone has parts of their offensive schemes that employ parts of it, but what specifically do you think about it being the mainstay of your Oline play? I'm frankly not a huge fan of it in today's NFL where I think it's too easy to get out muscled by the Vince Wilforks and Casey Hamptons of the league, specifically if your linemen are undersized. But I'm by no means an expert in that area.

jlam
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh153/OleMissCub17/WhoDat300.gif

:lol:

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091201/130570.gif

brakos82
12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091201/130570.gif
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/NFL/Breesus-Hail-Mary.gif

jlam
12-02-2009, 01:34 PM
This from after the Giants game was my favorite one so far: