PDA

View Full Version : Schaub Calls Out the Fans

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2009, 08:31 PM
After the game, Schaub called out the fans for leaving the building before the game's end. But I would have to point out that the team left the building, along with Elvis................... WAY BEFORE the fans had a chance to.

Let me also point out that those same fans with their families have scraped together their dwindling hard earned money, seemingly solely for the privilege of watching the Texans, from the top down, pad their own already bulging wallets.

More and more of the fans will be happy from here on out to support their team from the cheap comfort of their own residence. From there, they will be able to be spared from leaving early after a putrid performance and taking that long walk back to the car and the long gasoline guzzling trip back home...............they will be able to simply switch the channel and watch something with at least some crumb of entertainment value.

If fans wanted to spend 3 hours watching a shitty product, they could lock themselves up in their bathroom for that period of time after having a good BM.

Sorry, but the Texans have to realize that we have no obligation to be there for them when they don't show up for us.

noxiousdog
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I'd tell him the same thing that I'd like to tell those players on D that wave their arms. "If you'd pay more attention to the guy on the other side of the ball than you do the crowd, you might win a little more."

MannyFresh
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd tell him the same thing that I'd like to tell those *****'s on D that wave their arms. "If you'd pay more attention to the guy on the other side of the ball than you do the crowd, you might win a little more."

And tell OD to quit flipping the fans the bird....

Mailman
I agree with the gist of what he said but he is the wrong person to deliver that message. Huge blunder on his part.

m5kwatts
Can a source or article be posted on this?

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Tell Matt he looks good in that beat down blue uniform . :roast:

OK ... that's to weird . Is that an 8 on the thing being roasted ?

GP
11-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow. If this is true, then Matt Schaub can kiss my butt.

The meltdown has begun. Not only are they quitting, they're now calling out their fans and deflecting personal blame by trying to focus on US.

If true, this was a dumb move. And I know dumb moves when I see them.

thunderkyss
11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't agree with fans leaving the game early.

I sat & watched the Colts pray after the game... kinda hurt that it was on our field.

But.. Matt & the Texans need to prove them wrong every now & then, and win the game in the last 4 minutes.

The guys who left early knew that wasn't going to happen, & IMHO.. that's worse than them leaving to begin with.

They were right.

J_R
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM

http://www.sportsradio610.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4198295

LonerATO
11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I personally would have staid at the game, but hey its your money and you can do whatever you want.

GP
11-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't agree with fans leaving the game early.

I sat & watched the Colts pray after the game... kinda hurt that it was on our field.

But.. Matt & the Texans need to prove them wrong every now & then, and win the game in the last 4 minutes.

The guys who left early knew that wasn't going to happen, & IMHO.. that's worse than them leaving to begin with.

They were right.

There is no obligation for a paying fan to stay and support a team who is being paid to perform.

If I pay for a movie and I deem it to be bad, I stop watching it and walk out (or stop it, eject it, and take it back). I won't demand to have my money given back to me by the theatre manager or the rental store manager.

And I don't think the actors and actresses care if I enjoyed it or not. They got paid.

This is an attempt, allegedly, by a player (Schaub, allegedly) to deflect personal responsibility. Instead of shutting up, he decided to try and re-direct some angst by pointing fingers at FANS of all people. LOL.

Things are getting more bizarre by the hour. It's firing season already.

GP
11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Even Gary Kubiak would have walked out had he not been tethered to the field by his headset cord.

Hell, the coach can't even watch the team on important plays anymore.

Leaving is better than staying and boo'ing and yelling harsh insults.

Take your pick, Matt: A swollen crowd of harsh insulters, or people just choosing to quietly leave and catch easier traffic for the ride home.

sometexansfan
11-30-2009, 08:52 PM
People leave early and Schaub accuses them of not being real fans? Perhaps if he had played like a real NFL quarterback in the 2nd half they might have stayed.

TexCanada
11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
This is very bad news...The last thing we need is for players to start alienating themselves from the fans and the organization. I hope somebody fixes this in a hurry.

Khari
11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
i don't like ppl leaving early either.........but perhaps a 3 game losing streak is the wrong time to be telling fans what they shouldn't be doing

axman40
11-30-2009, 08:59 PM
It may be a good thing the Texans play in Jax on Sunday!Right now all I would say to Schaub is STFU and win some football games!
:firehair:

GP
11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
You know what?

I reverse my position.

Get rid of Matt Schaub and keep Gary Kubiak. At least Gary Kubiak isn't moronic enough to start this sort of trash.

Cue the keystone cops music...

MannyFresh
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
You know what?

I reverse my position.

Get rid of Matt Schaub and keep Gary Kubiak. At least Gary Kubiak isn't moronic enough to start this sort of trash.

Cue the keystone cops music...

LOL...I was thinking of Benny Hill's theme music...

utahmark
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I think you cant understand what this cities fans have been through unless you have lived here. maybe if our football existance started when matt got here he might have a point, he does'nt realize there was football here before him and fans walking out has as much to do with what happened before he got here as what has happened since he's been here.

HJam72
11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't blame the fans at all for walking out on this one in particular. The players gave up, why should the fans care? However, these guys are just venting much like we are. They ought to handle it more professionally, but I'm a lot more concerned about their crappy second half performances than I am about their fingers and mouths right now. If OD keeps pulling his finger out of his butt and showing it to everybody, he needs to not be on the sidelines with the team.

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
The more I think about it the madder I get .

With the Texans winning 20-14 and the Colts driving ... probably after a turnover ... a Colt fan kept standing up and being really obnoxious . I politely asked him to refrain from such behavior and that I would really appreciate him showing more sportsmanship ... well something like that .

Do you know how miserable of a feeling it is to see Matty throw a pick six and give the freakin game away and give the Colt fan the satisfaction of seeing us having to take it .

Khari
OD keeps pulling his finger out of his butt and showing it to everybody

:backsout:

Kimmy

He said the same thing this morning on 610am. Basically said you should stick with your team and not be "fair weathered fans"

DiehardChris
I agree with everything Schaub said - but that doesn't mean he should have said it. He needs to STFU and worry about WINNING GAMES in the fourth quarter, not "putting us in a position to win" or flat out come apart at the seams like he did on Sunday.

Dishman
11-30-2009, 09:18 PM
These guys (Schaub, OD, whoever else) need to keep their mouths shut and let their actions on the field do some talking. These guys are blessed that the fans only walk out early and don't stay to the end to roundly boo their half-ass performance.

DiehardChris
What happened with OD now? He flipped off the fans?

Hervoyel
I left early and don't mind admitting it. I've seen this show before, I already knew the ending. I'll stay until the last second when they give me a reason to believe they won't find a way to make it the most miserable part of the game.

TheIronDuke
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
If OD keeps pulling his finger out of his butt and showing it to everybody, he needs to not be on the sidelines with the team.

Umm, what?

steelbtexan
11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I was a Schaub defender and fan.

I have watched 10 games a year for 8 yrs. That is approx. 300 hrs of the SOS.

Matt Schaub you want to ? my fanhood

Bleep you Matt Schaub who the he** do you think you are?

This makes me look forward to the Seattle game even more.

I'm one of the bad fans that gives my $ up to watch you throw pick 6's at the worst time and not score a TD in the 2nd half against the vaunted Colts defense that's missing Freeney and Sanders.

I dont normally get to my seats for the player intros but you can believe I will be there for the intros for the Seattle game.

Kubes will probably save you by doing the defense intros but sooner or later you will have to deal with the wrath of the great fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS.

F-it play Grossman

PS beating Seattle doesn't mean squat to me.

Beating New England does and thats not going to happen but keep on talking smack and see how that works for you with this fan base.

axman40
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I left early and don't mind admitting it. I've seen this show before, I already knew the ending. I'll stay until the last second when they give me a reason to believe they won't find a way to make it the most miserable part of the game.
OK Herv how many tackles have you missed this season or how many pick 6 's have you thrown?
:shots:

gwallaia
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey Matt, I was there until 0:00.

Where were you before that?

HJam72
11-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Umm, what?

I guess it was the other boards that somebody said OD flipped off some of the fans for booing and/or yelling something at him. Guess some of y'all haven't heard. It was during the meltdown yesterday.

m5kwatts
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
He said the same thing this morning on 610am. Basically said you should stick with your team and not be "fair weathered fans"

Whats wrong with that?

silvrhand
11-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I left when the defense was hanging their heads and after Homer Simpson ran through about 4 tacklers on the way to the end zone. I've had no voice every day after the last two home games, and the monday night game I didn't have a voice for 2 days after cause we were yelling VY sucks at the top of our lungs on the south end zone every time VY was down there.

:roast: <-- welcome to the roast Matt Schaub

HJam72
Whats wrong with that?

Us fair-weathered fans don't like it. :photos:

steelbtexan

With the Texans winning 20-14 and the Colts driving ... probably after a turnover ... a Colt fan kept standing up and being really obnoxious . I politely asked him to refrain from such behavior and that I would really appreciate him showing more sportsmanship ... well something like that .

Do you know how miserable of a feeling it is to see Matty throw a pick six and give the freakin game away and give the Colt fan the satisfaction of seeing us having to take it .

Yeah I know how miserable it was I had to listen to the same stuff.

You probably care more about the outcome of the games than Matt does.

I questioned how much the players cared in relation to the fans caring after the Tacks game.

I think Schaub answered some of those questions after the Colts game.

bckey
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I was in the 600's. I started walking after the embarrassing Simpson touchdown. I don't feel bad about it at all.

Hervoyel
11-30-2009, 09:38 PM
OK Herv how many tackles have you missed this season or how many pick 6 's have you thrown?
:shots:

I have a lot of trouble with the pick 6's. I have a hard time telling the difference between a zone and man to man coverage. It comes back and bites me at the worst possible times. :barman:

buddyboy
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah I know how miserable it was I had to listen to the same stuff.

You probably care more about the outcome of the games than Matt does.

I questioned how much the players cared in relation to the fans caring after the Tacks game.

I think Schaub answered some of those questions after the Colts game.

Do you really believe this? I find that nearly impossible to believe.

GO HYPERBOLE! :clap:

Second Honeymoon
11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Tell me it isnt so. The Texans better hope that ESPN doesn't run with this story and make it some weeklong lecture errrr discussion on fan behavior on Outside The Lines by the end of the week.

Schaub needs to know better and the horrible radio station 610, is a partner with the Texans and should have known better than to let this happen. You gotta have softball questions from the fans or you are going to be setup for drama like this. You gotta screen your callers better.

I think Schaub is getting a raw deal but its the nature of the beast. He hasn't made the plays when it counted and now he is calling out the fans who actually went to the game. That is not smart and shows some immaturity and unprofessionalism to be honest.

I have been a huge Schaub guy but right or wrong, it was stupid to say what he did. The fans left disappointed Mr. Schaub, they were there to cheer you and when you blew it you got booed. We will boo you when you screw up, just like we did Pastorini, Stabler, Moon, Furrer, Tolliver, Carlson, and Carr. It's what we do.

The only Oiler QB that I dont remember getting booed was Giff Nielson and that was because he actually won a big playoff game for us as a backup when all looked hopeless. He had a little help (Perry comes to mind) But the fans loved him so damn much he became a local newscaster. Nielsen beat Dan Fouts. Before Music City Miracle that was probably the Oilers signature playoff victorious moment. They have legions of playoff failure moments but Perry and Nielsen punking San Diego was special.

Let me reiterate. We better hope ESPN doesn't jump on this.

krocket
I am all for giving REX a chance. I am tired of watching Schaub pad his stats when it doesn't matter and fold like wet laundry when we NEED to win. For the last half dozen games it seems he has made at least one bonehead play at crunch time. Sure, C.Brown fumbled on goal line, but on the previous play Schaub missed a wide open Dreeson less than 20 yds away.

He doesn't have any room to criticize the fans or the players.:choke:

Kimmy
Whats wrong with that?

Nothing .. but call a spade a spade. If there are 'bad fans' it's because they are playing like a 'bad team'

I left early, too btw.

GlassHalfFull
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM

LOL, it was something like that.

We stayed to the end. It is more than annoying to hear a player call out the fans.

Thorn
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Aaannnd…….it all starts to unravel……

Seems like old times. Some things just don’t change in this city. That’s too bad if this is true.

TheRealJoker
11-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Worst time possible for Schaub, or anybody on the Texans, to call out the fans.

Winning cures everything, you win games and the fans will be with your for every second. 2-4 at HOME just aint gonna cut it!!!

Texans Pride
11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either.

It's less than five minutes into the show. Listen for yourself, and I don't think there will be too many people that believe it sounds as bad as it's being made to be.

I was quite pissed when I read this thread, but feel much better after listening to it.

BTW, still think this team sucks regardless of how he meant his comment!

cardiactgaters
11-30-2009, 10:01 PM
:goodpost:
There is no obligation for a paying fan to stay and support a team who is being paid to perform.

If I pay for a movie and I deem it to be bad, I stop watching it and walk out (or stop it, eject it, and take it back). I won't demand to have my money given back to me by the theatre manager or the rental store manager.

And I don't think the actors and actresses care if I enjoyed it or not. They got paid.

This is an attempt, allegedly, by a player (Schaub, allegedly) to deflect personal responsibility. Instead of shutting up, he decided to try and re-direct some angst by pointing fingers at FANS of all people. LOL.

Things are getting more bizarre by the hour. It's firing season already.[/QUOTE]

TEXANRED
11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Well we are 2-4 at home and the Texans have choked more than that Debbie chick from Debbie does Dallas.

If Schaub doesn't like the way the fans act after 8 years of losing football and his inability to win a close game then he is always free to not have the Texans pick up his 24 million dollar option and go play else where.

axman40
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a lot of trouble with the pick 6's. I have a hard time telling the difference between a zone and man to man coverage. It comes back and bites me at the worst possible times. :barman:
Maybe all those fans leaving broke your concentration!
:rake:

infantrycak
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Well this will get me hated, but I agree with Schaub. I have sat through 78 games now with the Texans and only left early once when my wife was nauseated/sick. I am a transplant to Houston - 16 years - and have heard or seen thousands of statements/posts about "bandwagon" Cowboys fans (my former team since the inception of the Texans). Well they are a friggin' lot more loyal than Houston fans. Boos at games, making up crap about players on MB's after losses, leaving the game before it is over. My buddy I took to this last game commented to me midway through the 4th, "look at all the Texans jerseys leaving."

I don't boo my team during the game. I don't leave early. I will come on here and analyze but I am not going to make crap up to criticize. I don't mind anyone analyzing plays/decisions and criticizing what is clearly a flawed team. I have a very low respect for the Houston fan base at this point.

Stay for the whole game. That simple. Although screw it, when y'all leave early it makes it easier for those of us that stay to get out AFTER the game.

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Well this will get me hated, but I agree with Schaub. I have sat through 78 games now with the Texans and only left early once when my wife was nauseated/sick. I am a transplant to Houston - 16 years - and have heard or seen thousands of statements/posts about "bandwagon" Cowboys fans (my former team since the inception of the Texans). Well they are a friggin' lot more loyal than Houston fans. Boos at games, making up crap about players on MB's after losses, leaving the game before it is over. My buddy I took to this last game commented to me midway through the 4th, "look at all the Texans jerseys leaving."

I don't boo my team during the game. I don't leave early. I will come on here and analyze but I am not going to make crap up to criticize. I don't mind anyone analyzing plays/decisions and criticizing what is clearly a flawed team. I have a very low respect for the Houston fan base at this point.

Stay for the whole game. That simple. Although screw it, when y'all leave early it makes it easier for those of us that stay to get out AFTER the game.

What's better , fans leaving early or staying in the parking lot until midway through the second quarter ?

Khari
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
staying in the parking lot until midway through the second quarter ?

are they too drunk to find the stadium? :smiliedance:

Esoom
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either.

It's less than five minutes into the show. Listen for yourself, and I don't think there will be too many people that believe it sounds as bad as it's being made to be.

I was quite pissed when I read this thread, but feel much better after listening to it.

This.

Sounds like most people here didn't bother to actually listen to the link provided. He is hardly calling anyone out. He is simply asking the fans to hang in there with the team even though they're down.

TexansSeminole
11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I understand where Matt is coming from. I like to see that from him. He is standing up for his team. No hard feelings from me.

Honoring Earl 34
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
are they too drunk to find the stadium? :smiliedance:

I bet Bill would know if that's even possible . :beerfunnel:

Thorn
11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
If I'm paying all that money for PSLs and tickets, I'd damn well get there when I want and leave when I want. I held Oiler season tickets for almost 10 years. Sometimes I'd leave early, sometimes I'd just sit there with my friends and keep drinking for a while. Just depends on the mood, I suppose.

Even if Schaub did this, it doesn't bother me. Frankly, I think we got more things to worry about with this team than a player or two mouthing off.

Kimmy
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
With all this being typed, I WILL renew my tickets, and put my name on the upgrade list. I would like field level seats, please :)

Come August, all will be forgiven and we will be jonesing for football again. That is if we make it through the draft LOL

Silver Oak
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I understand where Matt is coming from. I like to see that from him. He is standing up for his team. No hard feelings from me.

yeah, me too. this is small potatoes.

Hagar
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, what can I say; I was there till the bitter end! Granted I pretty much sat there with my jaw around my feet for the final one & a half quarters, but I was there. One of the visiting fans who sat behind us made it a point of taking his hat off to me and my cousin for staying until the final snap. He was a nice guy who was what an opposing fan should be ~ quiet and respectful.

Granted I hated to see the people file out early in the fourth quarter but that's their prerogative. The PSL holders in my section have paid a lot of money over the years and we really haven't gotten the return on our investment we'd like to see. Honestly, if the fans in my section didn't have to hold the PSL, the stands would probably look a lot different.

You know it’s a bad thing when the big screen has to encourage the fans to "Be the Home Field Advantage". Apparently, we aren't the home field advantage the Texans thought we'd be.

:wherewill The same place I always am at the 2:00 minute warning, one of the few remaining Texans fans in the stands!

OzzO
11-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, I just listened to the quote on 610, and in no way did he use the term "fair weather fan". He was responding to a question that j Lopez asked him. Lopez asked what do you say to those fans out there hanging on a ledge, and Schaub responded by saying hang in there with us, don't leave early, don't get out of your seats, don't boo us...we aren't giving up and we don't want them to give up either. ...

Thanks for posting, I listened and didn't see the big deal. CnD - you stirrin' the pot?

TexCanada
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Sounds like people are taking Schaub's words out of context.

DerekLee1
11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
J. Lopez: Talking to our fans here...what do you tell them?

Schaub: Talking to the fans, I would love for our fans to just hang in there with us, that we're gonna make those plays, that we're gonna finish this season off on a very positive note. And not get up out of your seats before the game's over, not leave the game, not boo us. Just hang in there with us, you know? We're all fighting to the end, we're not giving up, you know, we don't want them to give up on us either.

What the hell is wrong with that? He's absolutely RIGHT. It's disheartening to the players to see their fans bailing. Who knows what could have happened had we recovered the onsides kick? It's not over until the final seconds tick off the clock. Keep cheering, and they'll keep fighting. Show that you're a fan and not an observer.

Kimmy
11-30-2009, 10:43 PM

My mistake .. he said "not a fair weathered fan" ... I was secretly listening at work ... don't tell my boss

TxDavid
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM

The part where he used the term "fair weather fan" is 16 minutes into the show. He was responding to a caller that asked him "What makes you think we want to sit through that...."

Mr. White
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM

We as fans don't have any control over how Schaub and his teammates play.

Matt doesn't have any control over how we react to how they play.

Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

Shut up and play then we'll show up and pay.

Buffi2
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Toward the end of the show, a guy named Steve called in and gave the movie analogy as far as walking out early was concerned.

Matt said - minus the 'ya knows' and 'uhs', "A fan of the game and fan of the team should stand behind them good, bad, or indifferent. If you don't want to be a fair weather fan, if you just want to be there when it is good, then you aren't a true fan."

Timing is everything. I'm not saying that Matt is wrong in what he says, but his timing wasn't the greatest. Perhaps a thank you to the fans who stayed would have been easier to take rather than a put down to the fans who left. imho, no one on the Texans team should be putting down fans at this point in time.....If you can't say something nice, go shoot something and go back to work.

Mr. White
11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
It's pretty lame when fans tell other fans how to be fans.

It's more lame when players tell fans how to be fans.

DerekLee1
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Caller (Steve from a mobile): What makes you think we're gonna sit through that game until the end? It starts off fine. It's like a movie that you pay for. You're not gonna sit through the end of it if the ending is terrible.

Schaub: If you're a fan of the game and a fan of the team, you should stand behind them good, bad or indifferent. You don't want to be a fair-weather fan. If you just want to be there when it's good, then you're not a true fan. So that's my reaction to that.

Again, he's absolutely right. You stay with your team through the bad times so you can enjoy the good times. You don't bail on your spouse or your kids or your friends when times are bad; don't bail on your team either. You can be angry, but don't be a quitter.

steelbtexan
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Do you really believe this? I find that nearly impossible to believe.

GO HYPERBOLE! :clap:

Yes I do. I belive the players dont understand the old time fans dislike for Bud, VY jock sniffers and anything that is Possum Holler in general.

McNair is begining to tread the fine line that Buds has already walked. This is when fans say I dont want to hear talk I want to See results or you can move the team if you want.

Dont believe me if you want but history says for continued support they need to start winning soon or the so called fair weathered fans will turn on the team. History is what it is.

Go ahead and bash me but be realistic.

PS I will be renewing my season tickets. If they play like they did Sunday I'll be leaving early next home game too. If that makes me a bad fan so be it but I'm tired of the SOS.

Right now Texans = Oilers poorly coached losers with alot of talent.

By the way Smithiak chose to sign D.O'Neal instead of M.McKenzie.

McKenzie is tearing it up against the Pats tonight. Great just Great I say.

sometexansfan
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
We as fans don't have any control over how Schaub and his teammates play.

Matt doesn't have any control over how we react to how they play.

Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

Shut up and play then we'll show up and pay.

This

Speedy
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Quit telling people how to be fans. That goes for Mr. Schaub or anyone else.

Just because you were decked out in Deep Steel Blue and I wasn't doesn't make you a better fan than me. Just because I have 3 personalized jerseys (one of each color) that run me damn near a grand and all you have is $5 t-shirts doesn't make me a better fan than you.

If someone leaves early, they're not less of a fan than the guy who stays. Let people be fans the way they want to be and not the way YOU want them to be.

As for Mr. Schaub, STFU and win a football game or two every now and again and you don't have to worry your precious little mind about what the fans are doing when you should be worrying about throwing weak ass floaters for a pick 6.

Mr. White
11-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I just listened to the "fair weather fan" quote. Seems to me like Schaub got provoked and then he got an attitude with the caller. I can understand the comment in context.

Still doesn't change what I posted earlier.

TxDavid
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Here's a clip of the broadcast where he talks about being a true fan.

Schaub's opinion (http://kiwi6.com/upload/hotlink?id=em3155rh)

eriadoc
11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
I let my wife listen to the podcast with no forewarning of what she'd hear and when he got to the point of telling the fans not to leave before the game was over, she yelled at the computer something to the effect of the players should follow his advice. She's none too happy with the comment, and she listened to it completely blind. So yeah, it comes across bad.

As for staying to the bitter end, I used to do that. One day I realized, to paraphrase Herv, I already knew the ending. I don't give the team anymore money now, and I don't begrudge anyone who leaves early. I think this team needs to earn some loyalty.

Screw Matt Schaub. I'm all for drafting his replacement now.

Dr2bKay
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Again, he's absolutely right. You stay with your team through the bad times so you can enjoy the good times. You don't bail on your spouse or your kids or your friends when times are bad; don't bail on your team either. You can be angry, but don't be a quitter.

:bravo: Thank you for this post...I think some folks do bail on their spouse and kids....when times get hard...look at the divorce rate and all of the bad ass kids out there.

ETA: For those people wishing to bail on the Texans in 2010...I am willing to buy your platinum parking pass, lol.

gary
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I feel better about what he said after seeing it second time but his out cry does not bother me one bit. He has a right to say how he feels and as fans what either do our own thing or take some notes and do what he would like us do. We have that option but noone else on this planet makes that choise for us. If Matt wants to vent let him vent just like we do hear on this board. He probably doesn't mean any harm at all. Well, I don't think so. On the other hand though we get to do whatever we want to do as long as it is within the rule of law. Right? I don't know about you but I feel there are much bigger fish to fry with this team. I don't give a rats ass what Matt has to say not for one split second in my life. We need a freaking HC who would win close football games and have his own team ready to go from the on set period. They better knock off this Twitter BS asking fans to hang in there and still support them. They are right there on the verge of winning big games and becoming an elite teams. I'm so cotton picking sick and tierd this crap after EIGHT damn seasons of flat out HELL with this team it's just unreal IMO. SHUT UP AND JUST FIND WAYS TO WIN FLAT OUT FOOTBALL GAMES IT'S WHAT YOU ALL ARE FREAKING PAID TO DO GOD DOG IT

steelbtexan
11-30-2009, 11:32 PM
This

yep

Norg
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I stayed matty

and i agree with u it makes us look like suckas when we leave the stadium

there are alot of casual houston sports fans tho so it didnt surprise me

so people just dont acctually "enjoy" watching football good or bad

Norg
11-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Browns fan mostly stick around in the 4th

Seahawk fans stick around

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

we just have alot of casual fans thats all

CloakNNNdagger
11-30-2009, 11:42 PM

"We are not giving up"??????????????????? Anyone watching the latter part of this last game..................

Thanks for posting, I listened and didn't see the big deal. CnD - you stirrin' the pot?

Stirrin' the pot???????? I make no apologies for starting this thread based on the previously posted Schaub comments (x 2). Let him and the "others" not get paid for every game they perform poorly in or lose..............and not complain about.............let them be placed in a position to be paid on the principal of the fare-weather player. See how long that lasts. I have been a staunch fan of both NFL teams here in Houston, and I certainly have earned the right point out comments that "call me out as a fan."

Parts of those comments were not only inappropriate under the circumstances, but in themselves predictably incendiary to stirring a pot which should have been left alone entirely.

DiehardChris
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Sounds like people are taking Schaub's words out of context.

Yep. Unfortunately, the toothpaste is out of the tube.

eriadoc
11-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Besides, what's so ****ing brilliant about continually paying for a crappy product? What other business model gets away with that crap?

Norg
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
so people are in for thick and thin throw the good times and bad times

it what fans of 32 teams do every Sunday its the NFL .....

houstonspartan
12-01-2009, 12:16 AM
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why coaches like Kubiak and athletes stick to boring, bland, cliche answers when they're dealing with fans or the media. It's safer. Kubiak knows that he could easily get emotional with the questions he gets, but he controls himself, and tosses out dull-ass answers.

Same thing with most athletes. Nine times out of ten, when an athlete speaks, we're going to hear "we need to be more consistent" and "we needs to finish games" blah, blah blah.

Situations like this is why. I don't think Matt meant any harm, but he sure has hell caused a storm. Bob Allen on Channel 13 talked about it AGAIN on the newscast tonight.

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
so people are in for thick and thin throw the good times and bad times

it what fans of 32 teams do every sunday its the nfl .....

exactly!!!

steelbtexan
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
"We are not giving up"??????????????????? Anyone watching the latter part of this last game..................

Stirrin' the pot???????? I make no apologies for starting this thread based on the previously posted Schaub comments (x 2). Let him and the "others" not get paid for every game they perform poorly in or lose..............and not complain about.............let them be placed in a position to be paid on the principal of the fare-weather player. See how long that lasts. I have been a staunch fan of both NFL teams here in Houston, and I certainly have earned the right point out comments that "call me out as a fan."

Parts of those comments were not only inappropriate under the circumstances, but in themselves predictably incendiary to stirring a pot which should have been left alone entirely.

C-n-D

You need to talk to Schaub about pressure and having a bad day at the office.

He probably wouldn't understand.

TxDavid
12-01-2009, 12:25 AM
BTW - There's another football team down the road that had lots of fans leave in the fourth quarter as well - but you don't hear their QB complaining about it. They had a pretty big lead at halftime too, but ended up winning their game 73-14.
I guess Houston's real professional football team plays over at Cullen Blvd.

steelbtexan
12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Besides, what's so ****ing brilliant about continually paying for a crappy product? What other business model gets away with that crap?

Good ?

When the going gets tough Schaub finds a way to deflect the blame.

StevieWonder
12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't blame Schaub too much for saying this. He's frustrated with the team, too.

And sad.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu212/Genrl_Gweevus/schaubfaceEDIT2.jpg

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Good ?

When the going gets tough Schaub finds a way to deflect the blame.

Totally disagree. Schaub takes the blame when it's on him and spreads the love when they win and he's had a great game. He's a stand up guy and I, for one, am proud to have him on our team.

TexanBacker93
12-01-2009, 12:47 AM

I agree. Listen to it before you make your judgements. I was initially pretty ticked off, but once I listened to it he wasn't calling us out. He was pleading with the fans to not give up hope because they haven't. This being said, I haven't listened to the whole thing so there might be more later.

I've never left early. You never know what might happen.

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 12:51 AM
I agree. Listen to it before you make your judgements. I was initially pretty ticked off, but once I listened to it he wasn't calling us out. He was pleading with the fans to not give up hope because they haven't. This being said, I haven't listened to the whole thing so there might be more later.

This city should certainly know about staying until the end. 35-3 ring a bell? Bills fans started pouring out after the Dishman interception, only to frantically beg to be let back in an hour later.

silvrhand
12-01-2009, 12:57 AM

I wasn't upset about the first set till he took a question from the fan and then let it lose on the fan about leaving. Seriously on a 3 game losing streak and throwing a pick 6, which is pretty much sealing off your playoff chances.. and you look this BAD in the second half.. He's lucky they didn't burn down the stadium.. but unfortunately a lot of fans now expect this, there is no more upset in the tunnels in the walk down, just dead silence.. Yet even then this team had the support the entire first half, we got loud, we even tried in the second half.. the pick 6 just killed it.

MannyFresh
12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
This city should certainly know about staying until the end. 35-3 ring a bell? Bills fans started pouring out after the Dishman interception, only to frantically beg to be let back in an hour later.

Nah, its never happened, so when I left...I had iced cold beer and brisket that didn't and will never let me down.

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Nah, its never happened, so when I left...I had iced cold beer and brisket that didn't and will never let me down.

Amen to that. But the beer only gets colder and the brisket more tender by waiting until the end. :cow:

MannyFresh
12-01-2009, 01:09 AM
I feel better about what he said after seeing it second time but his out cry does not bother me one bit. He has a right to say how he feels and as fans what either do our own thing or take some notes and do what he would like us do. We have that option but noone else on this planet makes that choise for us. If Matt wants to vent let him vent just like we do hear on this board. He probably doesn't mean any harm at all. Well, I don't think so. On the other hand though we get to do whatever we want to do as long as it is within the rule of law. Right? I don't know about you but I feel there are much bigger fish to fry with this team. I don't give a rats ass what Matt has to say not for one split second in my life. We need a freaking HC who would win close football games and have his own team ready to go from the on set period. They better knock off this Twitter BS asking fans to hang in there and still support them. They are right there on the verge of winning big games and becoming an elite teams. I'm so cotton picking sick and tierd this crap after EIGHT damn seasons of flat out HELL with this team it's just unreal IMO. SHUT UP AND JUST FIND WAYS TO WIN FLAT OUT FOOTBALL GAMES IT'S WHAT YOU ALL ARE FREAKING PAID TO DO GOD DOG IT

Ummm NO...Matt needs to be a professional. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Why do you think Kubiak is always saying "its on me" and doesn't call out his players on TV? Be a professional, man up and put out a better product. Matt, keep your emotions in check and do your freaking job!!

Vinny
12-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Ummm NO...Matt needs to be a professional. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Why do you think Kubiak is always saying "its on me" and doesn't call out his players on TV? Be a professional, man up and put out a better product. Matt, keep your emotions in check and do your freaking job!! I listened to both quotes and he was VERY professional in each. He wasn't doing any biting nor was he emotional about it at all...seems its just the fans who want a bite.

StarStruck
12-01-2009, 01:18 AM
If I had heard the Schaub interview, the comments probably wouldn't have caught my attention in a negative sense because, good bad or ugly, I hang around until the game ends. But that's just me, I take these things in stride the same as I did when the fans did file out and one of the Colt's fans stood up laughing and asking "where yall going?" By and large it's up to the individual as with who stands up throughout the game, who chooses to wear team colors, whatever, it's all a choice.

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 01:23 AM
If I had heard the Schaub interview, the comments probably wouldn't have caught my attention in a negative sense because, good bad or ugly, I hang around until the game ends. But that's just me, I take these things in stride the same as I did when the fans did file out and one of the Colt's fans stood up laughing and asking "where yall going?" By and large it's up to the individual as with who stands up throughout the game, who chooses to wear team colors, whatever, it's all a choice.

You know, it's EMBARRASSING to see so many opposing team fans in our stadium each home game. They laugh at us when we lose and we high five them if we win. Too bad the opposition is not afraid to show their colors at OUR stadium. Then again, if it wasn't for them, maybe we wouldn't sell out every home game and the homers would be left watching the cowboys and Titans on TV.

silvrhand
12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
You know, it's EMBARRASSING to see so many opposing team fans in our stadium each home game. They laugh at us when we lose and we high five them if we win. Too bad the opposition is not afraid to show their colors at OUR stadium. Then again, if it wasn't for them, maybe we wouldn't sell out every home game and the homers would be left watching the cowboys and Titans on TV.

I don't know what section you sit in but the colts game has been the only game this year where I've seen a ton of jerseys of the opposite team. I was expecting everyone to bust out the VY jerseys.. but hell no section 136 was chanting VY sucks during commercial breaks hehe.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 01:28 AM
If he wants to keep butts in the seats...he SHOULD STOP throwing 4th quarter interceptions that result in TOUCHDOWNS! He wants revenge on us? Hey Matt...WIN your remaining games baby!

DerekLee1
12-01-2009, 01:30 AM
I don't know what section you sit in but the colts game has been the only game this year where I've seen a ton of jerseys of the opposite team. I was expecting everyone to bust out the VY jerseys.. but hell no section 136 was chanting VY sucks during commercial breaks hehe.

I'm in front row, Section 116 (Bull Pen). And it was awesome to see an entire stadium behind the Texans for the first time against the Titans since the VY draft. It's just heartbreaking the kick didn't swing our way in the end.

StarStruck
12-01-2009, 01:30 AM
If he wants to keep butts in the seats...he SHOULD STOP throwing 4th quarter interceptions that result in TOUCHDOWNS! He wants revenge on us? Hey Matt...WIN your remaining games baby!

The only time I recall butts remaining in seats through the 4th quarter is the game is so close it could go either way.

MannyFresh
12-01-2009, 01:32 AM

I think maybe since it was a MNF game, the Texans fans didn't want any titans fans there at all which was a great, and effective idea...once we lost, (again) most fans were fed up and sold or gave away tickets where the colts fans scooped em up...but yeah, a lot of colt fans were there. I was embarrassed and mad at the same time with colt fan yucking it up...next home game though is Battle Bag Day so long as no one snatches my paper bag I should be better while incognito.

silvrhand
12-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I think maybe since it was a MNF game, the Texans fans didn't want any titans fans there at all which was a great, and effective idea...once we lost, (again) most fans were fed up and sold or gave away tickets where the colts fans scooped em up...but yeah, a lot of colt fans were there. I was embarrassed and mad at the same time with colt fan yucking it up...next home game though is Battle Bag Day so long as no one snatches my paper bag I should be better while incognito.

Oh man.. if the wheels come off we so need to run the battle bag day on the last game..

Tedc
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
I had a choice....wait until the enormous line cleared out and watch our players continue to embarrass themselves and our fans by shooting the bird and walking off the field in total embarrassment OR stand in a line going nowhere fast.

I chose to stand in line and I got lucky when they opened a contra-flow lane!!

Goatcheese
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
So just to make sure I understand... a bunch of fans who cheer the team when they're winning, then turn around and boo them or walk out when they're losing, are upset about being called "fairweathered" fans?

I feel your pain. I really do.

Ok, no. I'm actually laughing at you. :ahhaha:

jerek
12-01-2009, 07:47 AM

I listened to the clip after seeing eriadoc's thread and I have to say pretty much the same thing. Should Matt have said that? Maybe not, for the way it's perceived - but I didn't take it nearly as harshly as I thought I was going to. I didn't hear it as whining or him deflecting blame.

I'm not a season ticket holder but when I'm there I've never left a game early and I don't boo my team. As a one-time college athlete I know how much fan support means, whether I'm getting paid a million dollars or a trip to Burger King afterward. No matter how much bank these guys make they are people just like you or I.

I understand that we pay money and want to feel like we are getting a return for that expenditure, but spending money doesn't in turn entitle you to act like an asshole about it.

And I'm not calling out any one in particular and I'm not calling you a jerk if you leave early (I wouldn't but hey that's me), but I do know I have been to games - even an Ohio State game earlier this year where they beat Illinois 30-0 - and felt genuinely embarrassed for some of the conduct I witness.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I understand that we pay money and want to feel like we are getting a return for that expenditure, but spending money doesn't in turn entitle you to act like an asshole about it.

See, now that I agree with. If you pay money to be at a game and then boo, flip players off, heckle, and/or act like a jackass, then this applies and you ought to be tossed. But leaving a game? That's just a simple consumer decision, and there's nothing wrong with it, especially when the team has trained its fans to know what's coming.

Acting like an asshole is calling your fans out on the radio. And for those who haven't bothered to listen to the link, skip forward to the call at about 16 minutes.

TimeKiller
12-01-2009, 08:18 AM
What, did he prove me wrong for leaving early or something? I caught the final score at home....looked like the Colts won but who am I to compare things like numbers on a scoreboard?

My fault for leaving early Matt. Also, my fault for missing those 2 kicks. My fault for turning Stevie Wonder into Stevie Fumbler. My fault for throwing a ball into double coverage when SS was in the flat screaming for the ball. My fault for the defense sucking worse than anything has ever sucked on a professional football field for the first 3 games. My fault for having a crying ass corner back who literally can't make a play that falls into his lap. My fault for the Texans OL turning back into the....Texans OL. My fault for signing Chris Brown. My fault for promoting a guy who wasn't ready to OC and then sticking with him even though he's clearly been a detriment. My fault....

Mr. White
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Acting like an asshole is calling your fans out on the radio. And for those who haven't bothered to listen to the link, skip forward to the call at about 16 minutes.

Better yet, open up TxDavid's link below. It's edited so that no one has to skip ahead. It's just audio from the phone call.

Here's a clip of the broadcast where he talks about being a true fan.

Schaub's opinion (http://kiwi6.com/upload/hotlink?id=em3155rh)

gtexan02
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
This is absurd.

I can't believe people are complaining about spending their "hard earned money" as if it entitles them to wins. It doesn't. You're a fan of the Texans, you should know what to expect.

This season we've played in only 1 real blowout--the Jets game. Every other game has been fun throughout at least part of the 4th quarter. We've been excrutiatingly close in 4 of our 6 losses. We were winning the Colts game in the 4th quarter.

Spending money on your team does NOT mean you deserve wins. In my opinion, it means you deserve to see good football. It means you deserve entertainment.

The Texans are playing good football and are entertaining fans. We may not be winning, but we're competitive and fun to watch.

Should Schaub have called out the fans? No, probably not. But all this complaining about how the fans are sacrificing their money and time and getting nothing in return is total bs

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, Schaub's clarification of his initial statement is what pisses me off. The "you're not a true fan" BS is lame. You know what? I'm pulling out my own entitlement card. After what I've done to stand by this team over the years, I'm entitled to "true fan" status. And Schaub and anyone else that has a different opinion can kiss my ass. That whole routine of calling out someone's "fanhood" is BS.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
This is absurd.

I can't believe people are complaining about spending their "hard earned money" as if it entitles them to wins. It doesn't. You're a fan of the Texans, you should know what to expect.

It doesn't entitle you to wins, but it should entitle you to not have to hear the loser QB tell you that you aren't a true fan because you didn't stick around to watch him do his best Rosenfels impersonation.

Spending money on your team does NOT mean you deserve wins. In my opinion, it means you deserve to see good football. It means you deserve entertainment.

OK, cool. So when the football is no longer good (about 30 minutes each game), you can get up and leave. When you're no longer being entertained, you can get up and leave. I think we're on the same page after all.

gtexan02
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Yeah, Schaub's clarification of his initial statement is what pisses me off. The "you're not a true fan" BS is lame. You know what? I'm pulling out my own entitlement card. After what I've done to stand by this team over the years, I'm entitled to "true fan" status. And Schaub and anyone else that has a different opinion can kiss my ass. That whole routine of calling out someone's "fanhood" is BS.

This I agree with.

The "true fan" stuff is by far the most annoying insult in sports.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I dunno.... I've only left one game early. It involved an 18 inning Astros playoff game. Other than that, I've remained in the stadium until the teams leave the field. I don't begrudge those that do leave early, but by the same token don't be surprised if you get called out for it.

Just sayin'.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
This I agree with.

The "true fan" stuff is by far the most annoying insult in sports.

Especially when it comes from the loser QB.

whiskeyrbl
12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey Matt, I was there until 0:00.

Where were you before that?

Nice one !

Dan B.
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I dunno.... I've only left one game early. It involved an 18 inning Astros playoff game. Other than that, I've remained in the stadium until the teams leave the field. I don't begrudge those that do leave early, but by the same token don't be surprised if you get called out for it.

Just sayin'.

Quitter. I was in that stadium for like 6.5 hours straight that day -- guess I'm the only real fan here.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Quitter. I was in that stadium for like 6.5 hours straight that day -- guess I'm the only real fan here.

We had a big screen out in Platinum Lot to watch the end of the Astros. :) But you're right, I suck as a fan. :(

Dan B.
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
We had a big screen out in Platinum Lot to watch the end of the Astros. :) But you're right, I suck as a fan. :(

Nah I can sympathize. From the seventh through the eighteenth they weren't serving alcohol, right?

Hagar
12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
This may be somewhere else on this board but I thought this might be a good place for a radio commentary (listen to the whole thing):

610 Whiner Line (http://podcast.sportsradio610.com/kilt2/2086077.mp3)

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Just sayin'.

Hell. I believe in staying until the game ends, but at the same time I think Schuab and the rest of the team need to realize that some will get up and walk out if they keep giving away games they are capable of winning.

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM

I believe every Texan fan since the beginning, particularly from the Oiler days, understands a game meltdown to blow a lead and have learned to accept what happens on the field.

The issue here isn't what happened on field. It is what Schaub said after the game.

I think you are missing a fine point here.

After the Monday Night game, I said in the parking lot, every Texan player should be required to take a course to understand the psyche of a Texan fan, including a thorough understanding of the meaning of "Oilered It".

I was not on aboard for the Schaub trade but kept an open mind.

Up to this point, I have been patient in forming my opinion.

These statements by Schaub is something like the pick and six he threw in the game against the Colts. Schaub, on the field, appears to have mental lapses, can't read a defense, and forces throws for ints.

A QB has to make good decisions all the time, and what he said was very STUPID. THOSE STATEMENTS WERE A SET UP TO A NO WIN SITUATION!

Anyone can parse the words and interpret how Schaub said these statements, but he shouldn't have said it. I understand where is coming from and his perspective, but that was just a poor decision to take things there at this time with the fans.

Schaub's decision making is suspect from time to time on the field, now it seems it is carrying over to off the field.

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Just sayin'.

I hear ya, Bill. I just don't think the QB who threw the game ending pick6 should be the one doing the calling out. he needs to worry more about not sucking so bad late in games if you ask me.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
I hear ya, Bill. I just don't think the QB who threw the game ending pick6 should be the one doing the calling out. he needs to worry more about not sucking so bad late in games if you ask me.

True. He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

It's simply the mob mentality at work right now. This time next week, if the Texans win, Schaub throws for 300+, multiple TD's and no turn overs, this will be quickly forgotten.

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 10:52 AM
He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

It's simply the mob mentality at work right now. This time next week, if the Texans win, Schaub throws for 300+, multiple TD's and no turn overs, this will be quickly forgotten.

This is a legit discussion, but our QB should not be in the middle of it.

Poor decision making by Schaub to stick his nose into this discussion.

This situation has been a sticking point for years and is a common critique of Houston fans in general.

So Schaub should stay out of the discussion!

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
This is a legit discussion, but our QB should not be in the middle of it.

Poor decision making by Schaub to stick his nose into this discussion.

This situation has been a sticking point for years, and is a common critique of Houston fans in general, so Schaub should stay out of it!

Absolutely 100% agree.

GP
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Hell. I believe in staying until the game ends, but at the same time I think Schuab and the rest of the team need to realize that some will get up and walk out if they keep giving away games they are capable of winning.

This is not directed at you, but I want to expand on what you've posted.

If my team is getting severely beaten, why do I have to stay?

Why do I have to subject myself to every last drop of misery that's being hurled upon my team and upon me?

Players and coaches are required to stay until the final whistle. I am not. Let's be clear: THEY are the ones who are getting their butts kicked. THEY are the ones on the field who can change things, or at least do better than just brain-farting the game away because they don't know how to "get over the top" as Kubiak likes to call it.

Are we kidding ourselves into thinking that one of those players is going to look up into the stands, see that I am still there, and somehow draw the necessary inspiration to pull off a win for ME? LOL. If so, then give ME a portion of their salary. We all need a cut of their paycheck since it's so important for us to hold their hand through the tough times.

Therefore, it makes not one shred of sense to say that a true fan stays until the end no matter what. Maybe it's a personality thing. My own belief system is that my team is going to play the way it plays no matter if there is ONE fan in the stands or the entire stadium is full of so-called diehard fans.

My team doesn't become less of "my team" if I am at home and I choose to turn off the TV because "my team" once again does the predictable. My choice to refrain from becoming even MORE angry by staying and watching is the wise choice for ME. I'm taking an active role in deciding that enough is enough for the day.

A smart NFL quarterback, after playing the way he played vs. the Colts this past Sunday, would have said the following: "I am a player, and so it's hard for me to say what's right and what's not in terms of how a fan stays or leaves a game. I can't control that. I have to play my best and focus on that. I can understand how the fans feel. We're unhappy, too, and we're trying very hard to fix things."

A little empathy by a multi-millionaire NFL QB, toward the fans who PAY to see him play a GAME, would have been nice. Matt needs to focus on changing what HE can change, as well as changing those around him.

Andre Johnson, as far as I am concerned, is a GREAT wide receiver who has GREAT stats. But he, too, has hurt this team with drops and going zombie when things aren't going our way.

I don't feel sorry for this team. I don't feel that I am a bad fan. I don't think ANY of you are bad fans, either. And frankly, some of you need to stop copping to that plea.

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
True. He needs to worry about on-field stuff. But by the same token, I'm with Cak on this. People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

I think this will go away eventually but Schaub said what he said and he needs to realize that he needs to shut his mouth and play football. Don't tell us how to be fans when you are such an embarassment as a team. He is wrong too. If your team is down 15 points and there is 2 minutes left and you have already lost a 17 point lead, I think its fine if a fan wants to leave early to beat the traffic. I may be in the minority but I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that as a fan.

Until the Texans become a team that people can believe in and then have that belief rewarded, the Texans are going to have problems.

I have a bigger problem with fans not showing up until mid-1st Quarter. That is worse than leaving early imho. That is a problem we definitely have as a fanbase and I blame the great tailgating. It keeps you in the parking lot till the last minute. You gotta down that last beer and that last piece of BBQ so you don't have to spend $8 for a beer inside.

ensign_lee
12-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Everyone needs to chill the heck out. For those of y'all who didn't actually hear what he said, it's not that bad.

If you listen to just the clip where he talks about fair weather fans, the guy who called in basically attacks Matt Schaub pure and simple. "What makes you think we want to sit through that?" "What the hell do you guys do at halftime?"

And what he says in response is really not that bad, and it's not even that far from the truth. All he says is "If you don't stick with your team through the good times and bad, you're not a real fan." What about that statement exactly is incorrect?

And what would you say if you were nice enough to take time out of your day to talk to the general public and then you got attacked for it? I think his comments are being blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion here.

Moreover, I can understand the frustration with losing the game. But who says the players gave up? They were still trying to win until the end. We scored a TD that wasn't necessarily meaningless near the end of the game.

HTown2ATX
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't get tickets that often. I think I average 1 game a year. So, because of that, I always get in my seat early and stay until well after the final whistle to enjoy it while I can. I want to avoid heading back to bumville for as long as possible (ATX).

I have been there for great moments, like the David Carr dive over the goal line to win over Carolina years ago.

I was there for the misery of coming ALL THE WAY back against the Titans only to have Bironas kick that last field goal.

I was also present and in the sun for that broiling day when the Steelers came in and demolished us and it was scorching with the roof open. (I believe that game caused the whole roof rule they have now.)

I have stayed for every game start to finish that I have had a ticket. ****I AM NOT SAYING THIS TO PROVE MY FANDOM IS BIGGER THAN ANYONE ELSE******** What I am saying, is that I stayed to enjoy the experience of getting to see my favorite NFL team even though they got their collective pee-pee's kicked in on some games.

If I had season tix and came all the time to games like clockwork, I gotta admit, I'd probably bolt too. We've all seen the same song and dance how many times? :kitten:

I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave. It's frustrating to see what happened Sunday over and over and over again. I do wish fans would be in their seats on time before the game. But if the team sharts its pants on the field, well, you paid for the tickets, you can leave if you want. I can understand Schaub being hacked off about it, but he ought to check himself before he bites the hand that feeds him.

GP
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Everyone needs to chill the heck out. For those of y'all who actually heard what he said, it's not that bad.

If you listen to just the clip where he talks about fair weather fans, the guy who called in basically attacks Matt Schaub pure and simple. "What makes you think we want to sit through that?" "What the hell do you guys do at halftime?"

It's really not that bad, and it's not even that far from the truth. All he says is "If you don't stick through your team through the good times and bad, you're not a real fan." What about that statement exactly is incorrect?
I think his comments are being blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion here.

Moreover, I can understand the frustration with losing the game. But who says the players gave up? They were still trying to win until the end. We scored a TD that wasn't necessarily meaningless near the end of the game.

Because it's subjective rubbish to try and define exactly who is a real fan and who isn't.

And for the QB to try and make that distinction on a radio show, after a really bad loss, is just foolish beyond all understanding. And I know about saying foolish things, trust me.

He didn't do any good by sayig it. There were other answers he could have given if he would have tried. But it appears, as someone has already said, that his bad on-field decision making is now drifting over into his interviews.

I keep debating whether to renew SundayTicket every year. I keep saying that I should save the money and not get it again until I can clearly see that the atmosphere and attitude of this team has definitely changed and has swung toward being a true contender. I can catch some of the games on the local channels when they choose to air them here, and perhaps check up on the other games via the websites, etc.

I guess I would be called a bad fan for utilizing my finances in a more efficient manner. Maybe Matt could help me figure out what type of fan I am.

GP
12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
And there's a reason why I have stuck with my signature image.

I made it and had it displayed BEFORE the big win streak we went on ealrier this season.

It was tempting to take it down. It looked like we were doing better.

But I kept it, because I had a feeling that we were not going to perform well once we hit the first Colts game in Indy. And I was right.

Look at my signature. THAT says it all. A father and his son, marveling at the vast cosmos and searching for their favorite star...only to find out that it's wayyyyy away from the other stars where it should be.

I ached the day we blew the 35-3 lead in Buffalo. I ached the day the team was stolen from Houston. I didn't watch NFL football until we got our new team. I have watched nearly every game on TV in some form or fashion. I wear my jersey and cap, proudly, in public and know that I will catch crap from some people for it. I buy SundayTicket. I come here. I draft our team's players for my FFL team because I believe in them.

Losing hurts. Being called out by the team's QB, even if it's only a minor call-out, is baffling to me. He's shown that things are in his head that shouldn't be. I can't control his passes and where they land. He can't control if I leave or turn off the TV early. For me, his remarks are very telling.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
People are taking this waaaaaaaaaaaay out of context and overblowing it.

This is what I don't understand. The context is pretty simple - Matt's making judgments on what is and isn't a "true fan". Hell, Hines Ward was more subtle in calling out Big Ben than this guy was in calling out the fans that left early.

Just so we're all clear on the context, here's the transcript of the call/comment, minus the part about the halftime adjustments. And allow me to say that Caller Steve is a jackass, and is in no way excused for his tone and behavior on the phone.

Marc Vandermeer: Yeah Steve, you're on.

John Lopez: Go for it.

Caller Steve: OK, I got a question here. First of all, what makes you think we're gonna wanna sit through a bad game 'till the end? I mean, starts off fine, it's like a movie that you paid for - you're not gonna sit through the end of it if the ending's terrible. <second part of question about halftime adjustments omitted>

Matt Schaub: For the first part of your question, you know uhhh, if you're a fan of the game and a fan of the team, you should stand behind 'em, you know, good, bad, or indifferent. And if you, uhhh, you know, you don't want to be a fair weather fan. If you just want to be there when it's good, then you're not a true fan.

Now, how exactly is that taken out of context? The sad truth is, this team has no fair weather fans, because there's been no fair weather! So for Matt Schaub to make any sort of judgment about this city's fans is either ignorant or stupid. And who the hell is he to talk about what a "true fan" is? He and all his loser teammates ought to be thankful for any fans this team has because, as mentioned before, there's been no fair weather. We've sat through garbage football, we've sat through mediocre football, and we've sat through games that had good football in them for brief periods of time. We sat through a game that had ~55 minutes of great football with the Colts last year, only to watch the last 5 minutes erode any positives they accomplished. And then Sunday, they tried to re-enact that game!

Someone, please - tell me when I missed the fair weather, because if there's been any, I sure as hell missed it.

Norg
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
we need to become a better fan base road team

i wanted to go to the Jags game

or maybe even the st louis game thoes tickets are cheap .....

Double Barrel
12-01-2009, 11:59 AM

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

You must not watch a lot of NFL, because I see empty stadiums on tv for many of the bottom dwelling teams, including those you have mentioned. I could research it for you, but I do not have the time or inclination to prove what I already know to be true.

What, did he prove me wrong for leaving early or something? I caught the final score at home....looked like the Colts won but who am I to compare things like numbers on a scoreboard?

My fault for leaving early Matt. Also, my fault for missing those 2 kicks. My fault for turning Stevie Wonder into Stevie Fumbler. My fault for throwing a ball into double coverage when SS was in the flat screaming for the ball. My fault for the defense sucking worse than anything has ever sucked on a professional football field for the first 3 games. My fault for having a crying ass corner back who literally can't make a play that falls into his lap. My fault for the Texans OL turning back into the....Texans OL. My fault for signing Chris Brown. My fault for promoting a guy who wasn't ready to OC and then sticking with him even though he's clearly been a detriment. My fault....

Damn you, TimeKiller! All this time I have believed Kubiak when he says that it's all his fault! Now the truth comes out!! :shades:

This thread is indicative of what 8 straight years of suck will do to a fanbase.

My take on Schaub's comments is who give's a rat's ass??! Seriously, this is just another sorry chapter in a gigantic Pop-up Book of Suck. This franchise has failed since the beginning (even before they played a game they waste a first round expansion pick on Tony Boselli?!), so none of this surprises me any more. I am hating the team I love, but what can I do? I'm a Houston Texans fan, and I am starting to realize the agony of what Saints fans lived for their first 20 years of existence.

badboy
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
As the team left during half time, what is his beef?

Dr2bKay
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Especially when it comes from the loser QB.

Wow.. which team are you a fan of....sounds like you are talking about Jay Culter or someone...If I hated or thought my QB was such a "loser QB", I probably wouldn't be a fan of that team. #kanyeshrug

Fan-ness is a interesting concept. Does being a fan=being loyal? If so, what is loyalty?

badboy
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
This is not directed at you, but I want to expand on what you've posted.

If my team is getting severely beaten, why do I have to stay?

Why do I have to subject myself to every last drop of misery that's being hurled upon my team and upon me?

Players and coaches are required to stay until the final whistle. I am not. Let's be clear: THEY are the ones who are getting their butts kicked. THEY are the ones on the field who can change things, or at least do better than just brain-farting the game away because they don't know how to "get over the top" as Kubiak likes to call it.

Are we kidding ourselves into thinking that one of those players is going to look up into the stands, see that I am still there, and somehow draw the necessary inspiration to pull off a win for ME? LOL. If so, then give ME a portion of their salary. We all need a cut of their paycheck since it's so important for us to hold their hand through the tough times.

Therefore, it makes not one shred of sense to say that a true fan stays until the end no matter what. Maybe it's a personality thing. My own belief system is that my team is going to play the way it plays no matter if there is ONE fan in the stands or the entire stadium is full of so-called diehard fans.

My team doesn't become less of "my team" if I am at home and I choose to turn off the TV because "my team" once again does the predictable. My choice to refrain from becoming even MORE angry by staying and watching is the wise choice for ME. I'm taking an active role in deciding that enough is enough for the day.

A smart NFL quarterback, after playing the way he played vs. the Colts this past Sunday, would have said the following: "I am a player, and so it's hard for me to say what's right and what's not in terms of how a fan stays or leaves a game. I can't control that. I have to play my best and focus on that. I can understand how the fans feel. We're unhappy, too, and we're trying very hard to fix things."

A little empathy by a multi-millionaire NFL QB, toward the fans who PAY to see him play a GAME, would have been nice. Matt needs to focus on changing what HE can change, as well as changing those around him.

Andre Johnson, as far as I am concerned, is a GREAT wide receiver who has GREAT stats. But he, too, has hurt this team with drops and going zombie when things aren't going our way.

I don't feel sorry for this team. I don't feel that I am a bad fan. I don't think ANY of you are bad fans, either. And frankly, some of you need to stop copping to that plea.Very good post. See it all began a long time ago with the team known as the University of A&M. Some ***** created the 12th man and since then fans begin to believe they play a role in what the team does on the field. It is the "my ego is so big that I can not just sit and watch the game, I have to BE the game." I think some folks theory is "if I ain't drunk, cussing and loud, then i can't be enjoying the game.

disaacks3
12-01-2009, 01:26 PM
After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far), there are a couple of trends I see developing and felt compelled to address.

1. Schaub did nothing wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

2. "Real Fans" - I hear this phrase every year and it's getting tiresome. While I stay to the bitter end, I'm a die-hard and that's just me. The paying customer has the right to boo, yell, and leave at their discretion. All this garbage about "you never hear this in Pittsburgh, K.C., etc." is just that... GARBAGE. If you've never heard a fanbase boo ANY of the 32 teams, I suggest you are listening with jaded ears. (The same goes for blowout wins OR losses - it happes at ALL stadiums)

This team has never finished over .500, and can't seem to play two halves this season. Our QB looks like the "golden arm" when he's protected and has a well-defined pocket, but under duress (like many other QB's), he deterioates rapidly and predictably. Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2009, 01:46 PM

bills fans stick around

KC fans stick around

I agree with matt

KC's stadium was probably 30% empty for teh Steelers game and half the fans that were at the game were Steelers fans.

Bill's fans have had some issues and they will leave early too.

All fans will leave early when they know the outcome. Don't act like Houston fans aren't good fans because we are. We show up a bit late but I blame that on tailgating, traffic, and church more than anything else.

If you were at the Titans game on MNF, you wouldn't say we don't have good fans. They were there through thick and thin and stayed till the end. Their reward? A shanked field goal, another loss in a big game, and almost 2 hours to get out of the parking lot.

GP
12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far), there are a couple of trends I see developing and felt compelled to address.

1. Schaub did noting wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

2. "Real Fans" - I hear this phrase every year and it's getting tiresome. While I stay to the bitter end, I'm a die-hard and that's just me. The paying customer has the right to boo, yell, and leave at their discretion. All this garbage about "you never hear this in Pittsburgh, K.C., etc." is just that... GARBAGE. If you've never heard a fanbase boo ANY of the 32 teams, I suggest you are listening with jaded ears. (The same goes for blowout wins OR losses - it happes at ALL stadiums)

This team has never finished over .500, and can't seem to play two halves this season. Our QB looks like the "golden arm" when he's protected and has a well-defined pocket, but under duress (like many other QB's), he deterioates rapidly and predictably. Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

Yep.

El Tejano
12-01-2009, 01:51 PM
I think he was just saying for the fans to stick it out with them because it does matter to them but just went about it the wrong way.

Goatcheese
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Of his multiple turnovers last game, I only blame him for the "Pick 6" one, as that is HIS coverage to read.

You don't think his first pick, thrown 15 yards away from the nearest Texan, was his fault?

The pick 6 was a bad read, but that one was pure "WTF".

imatexan
12-01-2009, 02:12 PM
KC's stadium was probably 30% empty for teh Steelers game and half the fans that were at the game were Steelers fans.

Bill's fans have had some issues and they will leave early too.

All fans will leave early when they know the outcome. Don't act like Houston fans aren't good fans because we are. We show up a bit late but I blame that on tailgating, traffic, and church more than anything else.

If you were at the Titans game on MNF, you wouldn't say we don't have good fans. They were there through thick and thin and stayed till the end. Their reward? A shanked field goal, another loss in a big game, and almost 2 hours to get out of the parking lot.

Exactly.

Although Houston does seem to have a large portion that ALWAYS leaves early which I will never understand.

Pantherstang84
12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
You don't think his first pick, thrown 15 yards away from the nearest Texan, was his fault?

The pick 6 was a bad read, but that one was pure "WTF".

AJ ran the wrong route on the first one and AJ even said he ran the wrong route. It was a timing play and AJ was supposed to be there. You know with the members of this board we could resurrect the Salem Witch Trials around here.

Scooter
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
i'll chime in with more of the same in that matt is absolutely right in what he said, and absolutely wrong for saying it. we've gone over it 100 times here that texans fans are incapable of being at their seats on time and even during wins cant manage to stay until the end, so this is nothing new - and it dang sure isnt like going to a movie. that being said, everybody in the organization knows better than to say anything derrogitory about the hands that feed them. as a losing franchise, it's the ones that do show up whether they leave early or not that are doing most to support the team. matt needed to stick to the gary kubiak "it's on me" handbook as all in the league are supposed to when giving a response.

Yankee_In_TX
12-01-2009, 03:03 PM
After reading all 7 pages of this (thus far)

Good post, but slow day at work, lol?

Ryan
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I usually leave early when we're going to lose because there's nothing good about a bunch of angry/dissapointed/drunk fans all exiting the stadium at the same time. For that matter, i always leave early because my dad hates traffic in general. It doesn't make me a bad fan, because i'm as big of a fan as anyone, and have stuck it out despite these bad times we've had. Schaub needs to shut his piehole.

GuerillaBlack
12-01-2009, 03:27 PM
What was the question asked?

houstonspartan
12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I used to leave early, but learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I bailed and missed Schaub's last second touchdown.

Never again. Now, I leave a few minutes AFTER the game.

Mean Machine
12-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Schaubie was RIGHT!
A true fan supports their team, through the good through, the bad, no matter what.
All you 'fans' who left early were probably the same ones that left last year vs the titans when Sage brought us back from being 21 points down in the 4th quarter.

I stay for my team and I get there early for my team and I scream like crazy when we are on defense for my team.

Go Texans!
Cap'n Texan

whiskeyrbl
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
This may be somewhere else on this board but I thought this might be a good place for a radio commentary (listen to the whole thing):

610 Whiner Line (http://podcast.sportsradio610.com/kilt2/2086077.mp3)

That last caller was hillarius

Double Barrel
12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Schaubie was RIGHT!
A true fan supports their team, through the good through, the bad, no matter what.
All you 'fans' who left early were probably the same ones that left last year vs the titans when Sage brought us back from being 21 points down in the 4th quarter.

I stay for my team and I get there early for my team and I scream like crazy when we are on defense for my team.

Go Texans!
Cap'n Texan

I've got a friend who says that you are not a "true fan" unless you get a team logo tattoo, buy the $250 jersey, and go to every game. I guess everyone has different standards for being a so-called "true fan".

Thorn
12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I've got a friend who says that you are not a "true fan" unless you get a team logo tattoo, buy the $250 jersey, and go to every game. I guess everyone has different standards for being a so-called "true fan".

You are a fan if you say you are. Nothing else is required.

m5kwatts
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM

1. Schaub did noting wrong - I respectfully disagree. IMHO, after listening to the whole thing, I felt Schaub may mean well, but he SHOULD have bit his lip on EVER calling out ANY fan. Whether you agree with his sentiments or not, it's an area into which he should NOT venture. I felt he was out-of-line, especially given the amount of support this mediocre team has received. The Texans don't have a lousy home record this season due to lack of fan support.

Didn't Schaub say that whether your teams is winning or losing you should stick with them? I still don't see the fault in that.

Also it should be noted to Schaub that fans who leave early, its not always a big statement of "IM GIVING UP ON THIS TEAM" - sometimes its "this is emotionally disturbing to go through, I love the Texans but I'm choosing not to subject myself to this pain anymore." Theres a big difference between the two.

Double Barrel
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
You are a fan if you say you are. Nothing else is required.

yep, that's my standard, as well. I have no preconceived notions about the definitions of a fan other than what you stated, and find it rather sad to see fans calling each other out when we all root for a sucktastic team the past eight seasons.

axman40
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
yep, that's my standard, as well. I have no preconceived notions about the definitions of a fan other than what you stated, and find it rather sad to see fans calling each other out when we all root for a sucktastic team the past eight seasons.
Db did you not get the memo about "The Texan Purity Test"?
:spit:

gary
12-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Matt he shut have kept his mouth shut but my goodness folks are overeacting by far. He did not say anthing that bad either. Chill out everyone your belt is hold up your pants and he hasn't bitten you on the butt. Get over this already. I really hope you all don't lose any sleep over this you'd be very tierd at work the next day. I am more angry at OD for flicking off fans in the stadium than I am about this. Here in this great nation folks may do and say as the please.

hobie
12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Well I finally got up and walked out after the pick6...I just could not take it anymore...Sooner or later we all will cross that line when we said we would never do it, and well Sunday was that day.
I cannot explain why, it was like I just couldn't stand it anymore and that I had to go. So I looked at my wife and said I'm thru...she gave me a look like what took me so long.
Anyways, nobody is a bigger fan than the next guy...some are just more obsessed by it, by thinking they have to be the best, buy all the stuff, tats, facepaint...yadda yadda.. we are all fans the same, just some need to be more outgoing.
No idea what I will feel on the 13th, just not sure how much I can take anymore of this season...

PHAROAH
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Schaub needs to stop turning over the ball in crucial points of games instead of trying to call out the fans.

gary
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
By the way, if you really do not like like what Matt said try living by the old saying sticks and stones break my bones words don't hurt me and turn him off. It works for me every time.

GuerillaBlack
12-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Those at home, who can't make it to some games, are guilty of this, too. Too many times this season I have turned my TV off before the game is over. Lucky for me, I usually turn it back on a few minutes later to see if we did anything. :)

gary
12-01-2009, 05:33 PM
He probably felt like he had do something because the play calling sucked in the second half and the D didn't hold worth a crap. With a better HC Matt would not even had done this and none of us would be posting or talking about this matter. Gary must go.

Joe Texan
12-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I just Called the Texans and told them that I am a member of the Bull Pen and that I do not leave the stands till the last player walks off the feild.

It would be nice if they would come over and address our questions since we stayed but do they, I think Not

No More 8-8's
12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Whats very interesting to me is that the Sunday Night Football Game where the Colts were down by 17 late in the game at INDY, how full were the stands there??

The answer is they were completely filled still, and saw no signs of people leaving early. Imagine if that was us being played in our stadium, i guaruntee you that the stands would be half empty. Hell even in our most lopsided victory of the year, we still had half empty crowds at the end.

No excuse really. They are both night games, same time zone, both cities had work the next day. The fact is Indy fans care more about there football team then Houston does.

Maddict5
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
:yawn:

9 pages because schaub said the fans should've stayed. anybody disagree with his assessment? its very easy to be a fan when things are going well (cue the year 8 brigade) but the sign of good fans are how they react when things aren't going so well and the team needs the fans and (eventhough its not a popular thing to say) truth be told, the majority of texans fans have left down the team as often as the team has left us down

hobie
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Whats very interesting to me is that the Sunday Night Football Game where the Colts were down by 17 late in the game at INDY, how full were the stands there??

The answer is they were completely filled still, and saw no signs of people leaving early. Imagine if that was us being played in our stadium, i guaruntee you that the stands would be half empty. Hell even in our most lopsided victory of the year, we still had half empty crowds at the end.

No excuse really. They are both night games, same time zone, both cities had work the next day. The fact is Indy fans care more about there football team then Houston does.

Well then again, they are good enough to come back and have shown time and time again....need to compare apples to apples and not to pears, Houston is not in the same league as Indy in that respect. And until they do it, they cannot do it...

gary
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
:yawn:

9 pages because schaub said the fans should've stayed. anybody disagree with his assessment? its very easy to be a fan when things are going well (cue the year 8 brigade) but the sign of good fans are how they react when things aren't going so well and the team needs the fans and (eventhough its not a popular thing to say) truth be told, the majority of texans fans have left down the team as often as the team has left us downYou would he said, the next person to leave early he'll hurt or shoot them.:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM

You are comparing Colts fans to Texans fans?

Maybe we can compare the Colts team against the Texans team? There is no comparison between Colts and Texans, except for maybe retractable roof stadiums.

When have the Texans ever come back after collapsing like a wet paper sack to warrant a fan to hang around anyway?

It is interesting that fans leaving early are being focused on here when...

Kubiak needs another year...
Kris Brown can miss field goals...
Schaub throws ints...
Mediocre play by Dunte...
And I can go and on...

But, fans leave early, that needs to be addressed because that is key to the Texans winning!

Regardless of fans in the stands or not, the coaches and players should deliver because they are paid to do so from the fans, whether there or not, that pay the ticket prices.

I understand the issue with Houston fans, but it is pointless discussion when said team flops around half the game laying rotten eggs.

Schaub needs to focus on what he can control, which is his play on the field.

No More 8-8's
12-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Im sorry but how many people stayed in their seats during the Texan Titan games where Bironas had a record number of FG. Majority of people had left.

So give me a valid excuse why you leave a game so early........who iam asking .....these are probably the same people who arrive late as well.

PHAROAH
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM

The big difference is that they win games coming from behind and we don't, we blow games when we lead 20-6 at the half so that is a huge difference.

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Im sorry but how many people stayed in their seats during the Texan Titan games where Bironas had a record number of FG. Majority of people had left.

So give me a valid excuse why you leave a game so early........who iam asking .....these are probably the same people who arrive late as well.

I think fans should get there early and stay late.

But, people pay a lot of money to go to these games and rearrange their lives.

This is entertainment and the point of being entertained is to do what you want.

Bottom line, players and coaches should not be publicly discussing this issue.

gary
12-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Let's all meet at Matt's house tonight and wait for him to go to sleep and then show him who's boss. Everyone call their boss and let them know you won't be coming into work tomorrow. I am going to go get the things ready to go right now. I say we all meet around 12 no one messes with Texans fans.

Vinny
12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special apparently.

I thought we had a forum of tough minded Texans but it looks like we have "emotions on a sleeve metrosexual guy" who's gonna lash out like 'leave Brittney alone' guy.

Goatcheese
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special aparently.

I thought we had a forum of tough minded Texans but it looks like we have "emotions on a sleeve metrosexual guy" who's gonna lash out like 'leave Brittney alone' guy.

Metrosexual?

Are you saying our fans have intercourse with mass transit? :mcnugget:

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM
lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad. I didn't hear a lecture to the fans and I didn't hear him say anything he shouldn't have stated. We always see people say, "I wish we had more than a cliché from our athletes" but when they give them something more sophisticated than "It's gut-check time", "we should just go out and execute", or "the fans are our 12th man", we come apart at the seams. Houston doesn't deserve sound bytes more in depth than a Biggio special apparently.

Good points, but this issue seems similar to his play on the field.

One half, Schaub plays great, and the other half he struggles and leaves you scratching your head.

It appears his poor decision making from time to time on the field is spilling over into interviews. Schaub should have just stayed away from the topic all together. Bad call on his part to even venture into this territory, there is nothing to gain in talking about this.

I could be connecting one too many dots here but I call'em like I see'em.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 06:42 PM

:spit:

spurstexanstros
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
If he threw tds to the guys in blue and not white..we may not be having this discussion.

Vinny
12-01-2009, 06:46 PM

I thought we had a forum of tough minded Texans but it looks like we have "emotions on a sleeve metrosexual guy" who's gonna lash out like 'leave Brittney alone' guy.Good points, but this issue seems similar to his play on the field.

One half, Schaub plays great, and the other half he struggles and leaves you scratching your head.

It appears his poor decision making from time to time on the field is spilling over into interviews. Schaub should have just stayed away from the topic all together.

I could be connecting one too many dots here but I call'em like I see'em.so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split 'cause buddy, "you are the 12th man", because as a paying customer "the ball's in your court". I certainly did "drop the ball" last Sunday so "it's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

imatexan
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Great post!

To Hobie's post about everyone being an "equal fan and caring the same" I completely disagree.

I promise you that almost all the people in the club levels(excluding me and a very few others) do not have the same passion and do not care as much about the Texans and if they win or lose.

This is just one example but it is anywhere, some people are bigger and more involved fans than the others.

You can be a "fan" of the team and occasionly watch a game or maybe even go to one.

Someone who spends a lot of thier hard earned money paying for tickets,merchandise,etc and spending time researching the game and going on message boards just simply cares more which is shown by thier actions.

I am not saying that you can't be that other guy and still enjoy watching the team and NOTHING is wrong with that, I just think that there is a distinct difference among fans.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split 'cause buddy, "you are the 12th man", because as a paying customer "the ball's in your court". I certainly did "drop the ball" last Sunday so "it's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

You need to mix in a few "Uh, like I said before"

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split but buddy "you are the 12th man", but "the ball's in your court", "drop the ball". "It's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

The reason why I find this an interesting topic is because there are times when Schaub makes very poor decisions.

I didn't think we needed to make the trade for Schaub, but we got him and he is doing a good job. I don't see how we can upgrade the QB position because acquiring talent at the QB position is tough in the NFL unless you have complete garbage.

With all that said, this was a very poor read on Schaub's part. He has no business wading into what fans do or not do.

I think he should have just said something like, "we need to take care of business on the field and let the fans decide what they want to do. We are professionals and our job is to win games."

Schaub should have just steered cleared of this one because it is a no win situation to discuss this topic.

Sure, some people are overreacting to this, but people pay a lot of money and rearrange their lives to go to or watch these games. Therefore, any of his discussion or opinions are irrelevant since he is commenting on the same people that ultimately pays his contract.

gary
12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
How much of this is on Matt? The play calling was changed in the second half and the O line stunck up the place. The D went bye bye IMO.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
How much of this is on Matt? The play calling was changed in the second half and the O line stunck up the place. The D went bye bye IMO.

The play calling wasn't really changed until after the Colts took the lead. The problem was the Texans only took 7 snaps in the 3rd quarter. When you're behind in the 4th with 8 minutes left, is when the playcalling changed, my man.

Double Barrel
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Well I finally got up and walked out after the pick6...I just could not take it anymore...Sooner or later we all will cross that line when we said we would never do it, and well Sunday was that day.
I cannot explain why, it was like I just couldn't stand it anymore and that I had to go. So I looked at my wife and said I'm thru...she gave me a look like what took me so long.
Anyways, nobody is a bigger fan than the next guy...some are just more obsessed by it, by thinking they have to be the best, buy all the stuff, tats, facepaint...yadda yadda.. we are all fans the same, just some need to be more outgoing.
No idea what I will feel on the 13th, just not sure how much I can take anymore of this season...

I saw you entering the stadium with your Cowgirls jersey on!! :zipit: hehe j/k folks!

Not excuses, but there are reasons. :ok:

If you really think the Colts and Texans franchises are comparable at this point in time...well, nothing I say will penetrate that mentality.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/5KBsfpp6PL8/default.jpg

Man, we have hit a new low. :texans:

gary
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
The play calling wasn't really changed until after the Colts took the lead. The problem was the Texans only took 7 snaps in the 3rd quarter. When you're behind in the 4th with 8 minutes left, is when the playcalling changed, my man.They had more snaps because our D went bye bye and so did the O line. Agree?

GP
12-01-2009, 07:53 PM
It is interesting that fans leaving early are being focused on here when...

Kubiak needs another year...
Kris Brown can miss field goals...
Schaub throws ints...
Mediocre play by Dunte...
And I can go and on...

But, fans leave early, that needs to be addressed because that is key to the Texans winning!

Regardless of fans in the stands or not, the coaches and players should deliver because they are paid to do so from the fans, whether there or not, that pay the ticket prices.

I understand the issue with Houston fans, but it is pointless discussion when said team flops around half the game laying rotten eggs.

Thank you for posting that!

I think it's sad that we have some people on here who are just poo-poo'ing this and trying to act like it's no big deal.

El Tejano
12-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Fans call out fans when they leave early. They yell at them and call them fair weathers and all kinds of stuff.

This was a bad move for Schaub. I agree with him but it was a bad move. Now if he throws just one pick at home, the crowd is going to come down hard on him. He has now put himself in a must win situation.

The only thing we can hope for is that we have a QB that fights back and the rest of the offense sticks up for him with better play.

Pantherstang84
12-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Thank you for posting that!

I think it's sad that we have some people on here who are just poo-poo'ing this and trying to act like it's no big deal.

Because in the big scheme of things it really is no big deal. You want to hate on Schaub, then hate on him. It is your option to hate on him. In the end, the only damage here is to a few fans' egos. People need to get over themselves.

What is funny is that if the Texans win out (big IF), some of these same folks will be jumping on his jock again. I guarantee you no one will be here saying, "Sure Schaub made some clutch plays, but I still hate him because of the comments he made 5 weeks ago."

TheRealJoker
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
so basically what you advocate is for him to have just said, we luv u, go ahead and split 'cause buddy, "you are the 12th man", because as a paying customer "the ball's in your court". I certainly did "drop the ball" last Sunday so "it's gut-check time" for sure but we have the Jags coming up and "they don't pull any punches", so if "they want to play hardball", I must "execute better" and have to "answer the bell" come Sunday because I need to "pull my share", since "this is a team sport". Good question, that one was "right over the plate" even though it was a little too much "Monday-Morning Quarterback" for me.

You forgot to add, "Well they get paid to play too..."

thunderkyss
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
lol at everyone lashing out....All Matt did was answer the dude. The guy asked why you should stay till the end and Matt said real fans stick with their team, good and bad.

& all he needed to say was, "it hurts... I'd be lying if I said anything different. We really view the fans as the 12th man, and when they leave us like that, it's like losing Andre or Steve, or Mario... whatever chance we had of winning gets a lot smaller. "

"I'm not blaming the fans for us not winning the game. But it just like losing OD in the 4th Qtr you know... how do you prepare for something like that?"

Vinny
12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
& all he needed to say was, "it hurts... I'd be lying if I said anything different. We really view the fans as the 12th man, and when they leave us like that, it's like losing Andre or Steve, or Mario... whatever chance we had of winning gets a lot smaller. "

"I'm not blaming the fans for us not winning the game. But it just like losing OD in the 4th Qtr you know... how do you prepare for something like that?" I find it hard to believe otherwise intelligent people are nitpicking Schaub's comments to this extent. I'm so disappointed in the fan base.

thunderkyss
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

And by the same token, maybe we should stick to what we can control, & that's being in the stands, trying our damndest to intimidate the other team.

Pantherstang84
12-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I find it hard to believe otherwise intelligent people are nitpicking Schaub's comments to this extent. I'm so disappointed in the fan base.

It is a feeding frenzy in the shark tank. You dangle red meat and put chum in the water, the sharks will come every time.

hollywood_texan
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
And by the same token, maybe we should stick to what we can control, & that's being in the stands, trying our damndest to intimidate the other team.

Completely agree.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
I find it hard to believe otherwise intelligent people are nitpicking Schaub's comments to this extent. I'm so disappointed in the fan base.

Sorry, but I'm disappointed that you can't see how some people would be offended by the "fair weather fan" card, when there's been no fair weather - just a bunch of dumbasses standing out in the rain to watch a crappy football team. He could pretty much say whatever he wants, but the fair weather fan comments are horseshit, no matter who says it, and even moreso when it comes from him.

You call it like you see it, so do I.

Vinny
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry, but I'm disappointed that you can't see how some people would be offended by the "fair weather fan" card, when there's been no fair weather - just a bunch of dumbasses standing out in the rain to watch a crappy football team. He could pretty much say whatever he wants, but the fair weather fan comments are horseshit, no matter who says it, and even moreso when it comes from him.

You call it like you see it, so do I.It's just an idiotic rant to take Schaub's comments out of context like this...it reminds me of your political takes. You may call it like you see it but try to mix a little cheese in with your indignant whine.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
It's just an idiotic rant to take Schaub's comments out of context like this...it reminds me of your political takes. You may call it like you see it but try to mix a little cheese in with your indignant whine.

There's nothing out of context about it. I posted the context earlier.

As for the whine comment, well, I suppose we all have things that we whine about. You're growing quite a list yourself.

Vinny
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
There's nothing out of context about it. I posted the context earlier.

As for the whine comment, well, I suppose we all have things that we whine about. You're growing quite a list yourself.You posted the words, but it's obvious you don't understand them or you just have an agenda. Yeah, he said that real fans don't just show up when things are going well....oh the horror. Go ahead and keep defining yourself as you are. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it suits you.

Pantherstang84
12-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh this is fun! :banana:

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
You posted the words, but it's obvious you don't understand them or you just have an agenda. Yeah, he said that real fans don't just show up when things are going well....oh the horror. Go ahead and keep defining yourself as you are. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it suits you.

The feeling is reciprocal. It says more about you than me that you're always the first one to take things to a personal level. Isn't there some forum rule about that? Oh, riiight ... .never mind.

Vinny
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
The feeling is reciprocal. It says more about you than me that you're always the first one to take things to a personal level. Isn't there some forum rule about that? Oh, riiight ... .never mind.
oh I'm such a victim! Dude, grow a pair.

Khari
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
i'm waiting for somebody to use the word pards :tv:

bckey
12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I was going to post yesterday but got tied up. I listened to this after reading through this thread. I couldn't believe anyone was upset over this. It didn't even bother me at all the way he said it. It was really said in the middle of other comments as he answered a question. And it wasn't said in any kind of way where he was calling out fans. I can picture him saying it with a smile on his face. It almost sounded overly nice when he said it. I just think this thread is muchadoaboutnothing.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
oh I'm such a victim! Dude, grow a pair.

LOL, whatever.

GuerillaBlack
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Damn, the Texans are turning everyone against each other. This forum would be a happy place if they just took care of business.

*grabs popcorn*

Don't use the ban button Vinny!

MannyFresh
12-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Damn, the Texans are turning everyone against each other. This forum would be a happy place if they just took care of business.

*grabs popcorn*

Don't use the ban button Vinny!

Yeah well don't turn it on NFL Network...they just replayed the game....ugh!

gary
12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm sure you all remember this post from awhile back I am just going to post here in this thread just for a little refresher for us all. We sure do need one. This probably isn't the right forum for this thread so Mods may move if they choose to do so. I've seen some voice fights going on when there really isn't and need for it. We all want the samething the Texans to win but each and everyone of us have different feelings of how to reach the same goal. Some posts on here that attack each other are silly. This should remain a friends and family first board as I have always considered it as being and have told many folks about. How the team does is way behind our control I am not singling out anyone but I am reaching out to all of you to keep TT a friendly board while posting your thought on any of the forums on this board. Vocie how you feel and show your Texans sprit still keeping in mind that it's just a game and life goes on no matter who wins or who has different thoughts. We're all fans and friends and we're all here for each other when needed and that's what makes this board so great and the most important thing. IMO, have a football team to cheer for is secondary to the great bunch of friends I have here on this board who I'll always have and I know is always going to be there for everryone. Go Texans

False Start
12-01-2009, 11:08 PM
I was going to post yesterday but got tied up. I listened to this after reading through this thread. I couldn't believe anyone was upset over this. It didn't even bother me at all the way he said it. It was really said in the middle of other comments as he answered a question. And it wasn't said in any kind of way where he was calling out fans. I can picture him saying it with a smile on his face. It almost sounded overly nice when he said it. I just think this thread is muchadoaboutnothing.

Thats my take as well. I think all this losing has gotten people in a foul mood with the team, Schaub had a bad game, and it just rubbed some folks the wrong way. It really isn't that big of a thing to me. He could have went Mike Vick , and flipped the fans off or something, then it would be a big deal like some are making it out to be.

steelbtexan
12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah I was in a foul mood after wtching the crap football the Texans played on Sunday.

I'm better now

LOL

CloakNNNdagger
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Everyone is probably familiar with coach Vince Lombardi’s famous quote “Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

No matter on which side of this discussion you stand, Texans fans here have never really been able to enjoy the true habit of winning. Instead, they have had to seek their own personal way of dealing with an unfortunately dealt habit of losing.......................Getting drunk during or after the game, staying for the entire game to show “loyalty,” staying for the entire game to relate displeasure, leaving the game early because of difficulty in dealing with the recurrent theme, or simply leaving the game early because something in life may hold greater import than trying to prove themselves.

But one thing lost in this whole lamentable situation is that, for one reason or another, we all find the team important enough to us to be here voicing our own personal concerns. Some day we may be more familiar with the habit of winning and more commonly come together with a single voice, but meanwhile let’s not depreciate the diverse passionate voices that make up the best MB in the NFL.

steelbtexan
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Everyone is probably familiar with coach Vince Lombardi’s famous quote “Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

No matter on which side of this discussion you stand, Texans fans here have never really been able to enjoy the true habit of winning. Instead, they have had to seek their own personal way of dealing with an unfortunately dealt habit of losing.......................Getting drunk during or after the game, staying for the entire game to show “loyalty,” staying for the entire game to relate displeasure, leaving the game early because of difficulty in dealing with the recurrent theme, or simply leaving the game early because something in life may hold greater import than trying to prove themselves.

But one thing lost in this whole lamentable situation is that, for one reason or another, we all find the team important enough to us to be here voicing our own personal concerns. Some day we may be more familiar with the habit of winning and more commonly come together with a single voice, but meanwhile let’s not depreciate the diverse passionate voices that make up the best MB in the NFL.

This

Would rep you if I could

GP
12-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Because in the big scheme of things it really is no big deal. You want to hate on Schaub, then hate on him. It is your option to hate on him. In the end, the only damage here is to a few fans' egos. People need to get over themselves.

What is funny is that if the Texans win out (big IF), some of these same folks will be jumping on his jock again. I guarantee you no one will be here saying, "Sure Schaub made some clutch plays, but I still hate him because of the comments he made 5 weeks ago."

Funny you say that, because the pattern has been obvious with this team and with this QB and with this coach.

Matt starts his career off with us with a great win, then starts to slip and gets hurt. Then he comes back and does fairly well. Then we suck at the start of the season (again) and hit a winning streak. Then we hit a losing streak. So it figures that we'll hit a winning streak again.

All of this is to say that I have been up and down with this coach and this QB, much like a yo-yo does. But the funny thing about yo-yo's is that they don't go anywhere except for up-and-down, up-and-down, over and over.

Oh yeah, I'll be dry-humping the superbadass Matt Schaub's leg if we win out. LOL. I'm just mad at myself for actually believing that the winning streak meant something, as if it held some sort of omen for the rest of the season.

Obviously it didn't.

Even if they somehow win out, which I highly doubt they will (based on the meltdown of Schaub's comments, OD flipping the bird to fans, losing three straight divisional games, and McNair having to play the "He's my coach" card already) it doesn't absolve their failures.

This year doesn't matter anymore, as far as I am concerned, and next season might not matter either if McNair once again finds a way to extend a lame duck leader (like he did with David Carr).

Sometimes I wonder if this is a team or a charitable organization.

TitanFan
12-02-2009, 02:13 AM
trade for vince

hobie
12-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I saw you entering the stadium with your Cowgirls jersey on!! :zipit: hehe j/k folks!

:bat:

infantrycak
12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Schaub had a bad game

This is what cracks me up, yes he had a bad game for him. But let's compare that and see how many QB's do better than that bad game on a consistent basis. 14 QB's have QB ratings over 87.8 for the season with one of them being Schaub at 97.7. Notable QB's having seasons worse than Schaub's bad game - Palmer, Garrard, Campbell, Alex Smith, Matt Hassellback, Matt Cassell, golden boy Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, etc.

Texan_Bill
12-02-2009, 10:47 AM

:bat:

DB, was it Hobie's :hobie: pink jersey??

Double Barrel
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
This

Would rep you if I could

Got him. Great post C&D!

DB, was it Hobie's :hobie: pink jersey??

Why, yes, yes it was! No. 69 with "ROMOSEXUAL" on the back, whatever that means.

*ducks hobie's swing*

False Start
12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
This is what cracks me up, yes he had a bad game for him. But let's compare that and see how many QB's do better than that bad game on a consistent basis. 14 QB's have QB ratings over 87.8 for the season with one of them being Schaub at 97.7. Notable QB's having seasons worse than Schaub's bad game - Palmer, Garrard, Campbell, Alex Smith, Matt Hassellback, Matt Cassell, golden boy Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, etc.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at, he had a bad game for him. I wasn't knocking Schaub, he just had a subpar game from what he has been doing so far this season. :cool:

Honoring Earl 34
12-02-2009, 12:34 PM

I don't know if anyone's posted this but Erik Winston said on his show yesterday that they need to grow up . He said that they have the youngest starting lineup in the NFL and Kubiak has the double chore of teaching Xs and Os , while trying to teach them how to be pros . Winston stated that Kubiak stesses someone needs to step up and make plays but it doesn't happen . Actually he might have said that he needs five players to make a game winning/changing play and they can't get one .

Winston went on talking about mistakes and focus . He said that the NFL is more about winning one on one battles than scemes . Anyway if 610 has a podcast of yesterdays show , it's worth a listen .

TEXANRED
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Here is my gripe about Schaub, I don't think he is a winner. In four years he has one game where he took the team and put them on his shoulders and won the game and that was last year against the Dolphins.

Again these are my opinions.

Winners don't lose to teams they are supposed to beat on national TV at home.

Winners don't go 2-4 at home when you are expected to make the playoffs.

Winners beat there division rivals. We once again will finish no better than 2-4 if we beat the Jags. And that is a big if. We have 1, again, 1 win in the AFC South.

Winners don't throw INT's and fumble the football when the game is on the line.

A winner is someone you can count on, your go to guy, that special someone that you know if given the chance he will make a play and win the game. Schaub is not it. There is no defense in this league that fears Schaub. No one is saying "oh, here comes Schaub we better have our A game ready."

A winner may throw an INT in the last half of the game. But a winner will also come back on the next series and even it up, not hold on to the football too long and let it get stripped.

Sure Schaub looks pretty with all his TD's and yards and the what nots, but the important stat, the W? He has got 5 of those to 6 L's with a losing record at home and the division.

But again, these are my opinions. When you say that Schaub is "IT" you are saying that you can not improve at his position and there is no need to upgrade. I don't see it. I think if we continue to lose that we would be in a position to draft a McCoy or a Bradford or a Tebow. Then what? We are alread going to pass on Cowher cus of the what if's.

GP
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I just hope I can be a good enough fan to help my team get over the top this Sunday vs. the Jags. It's going to take four full halves of TV watching from me. I can have not one ounce of "quit" in me. Gotta' lay it all on the line and hold nothing back. Those guys are counting on me. :kitten:

You know, speaking of fans...there's this team in Jacksonville who somehow seems to do better than us and they have a pretty lame fan base.

How in the world do they do it? Anti-depressant meds? Daily counseling offered by the Jags front office? I noticed the kicker tried to maim himself to get a million-dollar wound a season or two ago.

I feel confident that I can finish out the rest of this season with a perfect record and save my fan contract for next season. Unless I hold out or get franchised (again) which will really suck since I want to finish out my career with the Texans. But you know what? This is a business and sometimes things don't work out.

Oh wait, that's for the players. Not for the fans.

I remember now: WE are the ones who keep coming back for more, even when we could easily go cheer for another team. We're the ones who aren't paid to participate with the Texans. For a second there, I got confused about the role of players and fans.

I'm sorry, Matt. I'll do better next time. Accountability is Job 1 here in Houston, after all.

BIG TORO
12-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I think I understand so Andre Johnson= winner, Matt Schaub= NOT

GP
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
I think I understand so Andre Johnson= winner, Matt Schaub= NOT

I'm not thrilled with Andre Johnson right now.

Either we have a QB and/or o-coord who isn't giving him more looks, or we have a WR who puts up greats stats but is absent at key moments.

Nobody deserves a "pass" or "get out of jail FREE" card around here. It's not good to play favorites, IMO.

BIG TORO
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm not thrilled with Andre Johnson right now.

Either we have a QB and/or o-coord who isn't giving him more looks, or we have a WR who puts up greats stats but is absent at key moments.

Nobody deserves a "pass" or "get out of jail FREE" card around here. It's not good to play favorites, IMO.

Well if anybody does deserve one is Andre, some of those catches look uncatchable but andre grabs them out of mid air and makes schaub look better than what he is.

Goatcheese
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Well if anybody does deserve one is Andre, some of those catches look uncatchable but andre grabs them out of mid air and makes schaub look better than what he is.

He also drops a lot of them and makes Schaub look worse than he is.

infantrycak
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, thats what I was getting at, he had a bad game for him. I wasn't knocking Schaub, he just had a subpar game from what he has been doing so far this season. :cool:

I didn't think you were. Just trying to provide a little perspective. Ending a season with a QB rating at 90 will generally have you in or just outside the top third of QB's.

AJ is sitting in the top 5 of WR's with two guys being thrown to by Brady, 1 by Manning and 1 by Favre. Yeah, AJ and Schaub simply suck. I do have one nit to pick with AJ - he doesn't always come back aggressively to the ball or protect the ball from the DB with his body.

BIG TORO
12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't think you were. Just trying to provide a little perspective. Ending a season with a QB rating at 90 will generally have you in or just outside the top third of QB's.

AJ is sitting in the top 5 of WR's with two guys being thrown to by Brady, 1 by Manning and 1 by Favre. Yeah, AJ and Schaub simply suck. I do have one nit to pick with AJ - he doesn't always come back aggressively to the ball or protect the ball from the DB with his body.

I have to agree with you on AJ not coming back aggressively to the ball!

TEXANRED
12-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Really? He has to stop and come back to every ball thrown at him. I don't think I have seen him hit in stride once this season. He either has to stop, slow down, or jump 20 feet to catch the thing.

AJ is doing for Schaub what Moss did for Culpepper.

infantrycak
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Really? He has to stop and come back to every ball thrown at him. I don't think I have seen him hit in stride once this season. He either has to stop, slow down, or jump 20 feet to catch the thing.

AJ is doing for Schaub what Moss did for Culpepper.

Ease up. I am not talking about every ball. And talk about hyperbole, not hit in stride once - get serious. I am referring in particular to hitch routes and some similar circumstances where he doesn't drive back aggressively all the time. Unlike you, I didn't say all the time or never or almost never. Sometimes he could be better at it and that can be a problem because those routes are classics for getting jumped.

JDizzle
12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

axman40
12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Cause the Battle Red pill looked so pretty?
:texflag:

silvrhand
12-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Ease up. I am not talking about every ball. And talk about hyperbole, not hit in stride once - get serious. I am referring in particular to hitch routes and some similar circumstances where he doesn't drive back aggressively all the time. Unlike you, I didn't say all the time or never or almost never. Sometimes he could be better at it and that can be a problem because those routes are classics for getting jumped.

Agreed, but at the same time Matt has not been on target many games, and a lot of people will sit and talk about how great his #'s are, and he's had a couple games where he is on target. Also though, Matt has had more games off target which his receivers have to wait for the ball, *especially* on the deep balls which really hurt our ability to go all the way after the catch.

eriadoc
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I just hope I can be a good enough fan to help my team get over the top this Sunday vs. the Jags. It's going to take four full halves of TV watching from me. I can have not one ounce of "quit" in me. Gotta' lay it all on the line and hold nothing back. Those guys are counting on me. :kitten:

You know, speaking of fans...there's this team in Jacksonville who somehow seems to do better than us and they have a pretty lame fan base.

How in the world do they do it? Anti-depressant meds? Daily counseling offered by the Jags front office? I noticed the kicker tried to maim himself to get a million-dollar wound a season or two ago.

I feel confident that I can finish out the rest of this season with a perfect record and save my fan contract for next season. Unless I hold out or get franchised (again) which will really suck since I want to finish out my career with the Texans. But you know what? This is a business and sometimes things don't work out.

I remember now: WE are the ones who keep coming back for more, even when we could easily go cheer for another team. We're the ones who aren't paid to participate with the Texans. For a second there, I got confused about the role of players and fans.

I'm sorry, Matt. I'll do better next time. Accountability is Job 1 here in Houston, after all.

LOL, that should be sent to the team.

beerlover
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
97.7 QB rating for Schaub I wonder what Relients fan rating would be?

Joe Texan
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Bull Pen would match Matt

the rest of the stadium would get a negative number

hobie
12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
You saying the rest of the people in the stadium would not be rated high? Why is that, because they don't stay until everyone leaves the field, or stand the entire time, or dress up? Not so sure I understand how the Bull Pen is a better place to be than other parts of the stadium. Just because alot of people don't get into their seats in time, or some people leave early, why would they, including me since you said the rest of us, get negative numbers?

infantrycak
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Agreed, but at the same time Matt has not been on target many games, and a lot of people will sit and talk about how great his #'s are, and he's had a couple games where he is on target. Also though, Matt has had more games off target which his receivers have to wait for the ball, *especially* on the deep balls which really hurt our ability to go all the way after the catch.

Sure Schaub miss throws some balls. Sure his WR's make some fantastic catches. Is Reggie Wayne just a mechanical route runner catching perfectly thrown balls from Manning? - not even close.

Frankly this last weekend was a perfect illustration of why the typical fan response of every incompletion or what appears to be inaccurate ball is not always the QB's fault. Twice Schaub and AJ were not on the same page with Schaub anticipating one break and AJ making another. Now in that dramatic of an example people say well not on the same page. Now make that AJ goes slightly more corner or slightly more post than Schaub anticipates (note not saying who is at fault) and now the ball is uncatchable or looks like it was thrown poorly.

As for deep balls - I'll worry about that when we aren't 3rd in the league for total passes over 20 yards and 3rd for total passes over 40 yards.

Ryan
12-02-2009, 10:48 PM

So have you actually sat anywhere else but the Bull Pen? How would you know if you haven't?

You are not the Texan's gift from god because you sit there. There are just as many passionate fans all around the stadium.

Norg
12-02-2009, 11:35 PM

Real hardcore fans go to a few road games .... :P

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2009, 08:33 AM

Real hardcore teams come to a few home games to play.:chef:

GP
12-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Well, that describes a WISE fan...because we seem to win on the road more than at home.

silvrhand
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Hey we over in section 136 do our best and have upped our cheering quite a bit, I know ya'll had to hear us chanting the good ole VY Sucks everytime he was down there. Good fun.

- John