PDA

View Full Version : Dom Davis

Pages : [1] 2

snoopmeg2002
02-25-2005, 09:13 AM
When DD becomes a free agent, does anyone think that he'll resign with the Texans or will he go somewhere else?

Doom Capers
02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
It is hard to tell. It all depends on if he can stay healthy next year. Why would we resign someone who is always hurt? I guess it depends on how much money he wants too. I believe if he can start every game next year he will have a pro bowl type year. So we will just have to wait and see.

F-minus67
02-25-2005, 01:00 PM
I think the texans should try to sign him to an extention, he's only making like $500,000 a year and has rushed for a 1000 yards in each of the past two years and has scored 22 touchdowns.

BattleRedRaider
02-25-2005, 01:10 PM
I think the texans should try to sign him to an extention, he's only making like $500,000 a year and has rushed for a 1000 yards in each of the past two years and has scored 22 touchdowns.

I agree. Texans should hold on to him.

gcolby
02-25-2005, 02:09 PM
When DD becomes a free agent, does anyone think that he'll resign with the Texans or will he go somewhere else?

2005 is his last season under his current contract.

He'll be re-signed.

Meloy
02-25-2005, 02:51 PM

DD knows what he has done for Houston. As with other players, I think he has loyalty to team for giving him a chance. I agree we should offer him a decent contract after a few games in 2005 if this is final year. I think he would want a stay as he would be a big part of the next few years. :thumbup

ArlingtonTexan
02-25-2005, 05:08 PM
2005 is his last season under his current contract.

He'll be re-signed.

He will not have reached 4 years of service and will be a restricted free agent. Houston will tender him at one of three levels which wil allow them to match any offer. If not matched lowest level the Texan would get a 4th round, mid level 1st round, highest level 1st and 3rd round.

after the 2006 season Davis would become an unrestricted FA.

BuffSoldier
02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I think if DD can stay healthy then he can turn into a franchise back, and if he does that, then he will cost some big time money, I think that we would need to try to resign him as sooon as possible, before he costs too much, hey he might need to be franchised in the next two years.

Skrobes66
02-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I am not sold on Davis yet. I think he is a good player but he makes too many mistakes (fumbles). Anyone think we can get a 1st round pick and maybe a little more for him and go after one of the three top backs (Benson, and the two Auburn backs) in the draft?

Fiddy
02-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I am not sold on Davis yet. I think he is a good player but he makes too many mistakes (fumbles). Anyone think we can get a 1st round pick and maybe a little more for him and go after one of the three top backs (Benson, and the two Auburn backs) in the draft?I'm not sold on Davis either but he didnt fumble once after the first two games so thats not a reason.

The Pats only gave up a 2nd for Corey Dillion. We will be lucky to get that.

WildBlackBear32
02-27-2005, 06:53 PM
DD is an absolutely fantastic back to have. I'll even go as far to say hes a top 7 all-around runningback(in terms of rushing AND recieving). With that said, I REALLY hope Hollings starts to get more carries. He was a guy everyone had pegged in as a mid-to-late 1st rounder the year before his draft year and his huge injury.I say phase Wells out all together, slide Hollings into about 30% of the snaps while letting DD rest while Hollings is in there.Works well for both backs as it keeps DD fresh and gives Hollings more touches/downs.

texansfan88
02-27-2005, 06:58 PM
To anyone that doubts DD, 12 touchdowns speak for themselves

Fiddy
02-27-2005, 07:01 PM
To anyone that doubts DD, 12 touchdowns speak for themselvesHe is an excellent goal line back, I'll give him that

TexansTrueFan
02-28-2005, 12:10 AM
He is an excellent goal line back, I'll give him that

sorry fiddy but how many "goal line" backs rush for 1,188 yards in a season ?? Hasnt he shown you he can be a featured back ? i guess he'll have to go and pass emitt smiths rushing record and then maybe just maybe you will say he is a featured back ! :loser

Wolf
02-28-2005, 06:15 AM
sorry fiddy but how many "goal line" backs rush for 1,188 yards in a season ?? Hasnt he shown you he can be a featured back ? i guess he'll have to go and pass emitt smiths rushing record and then maybe just maybe you will say he is a featured back ! :loser

DD is solid WHEN healthy. IMO.. but he can't stay healthy. The 2 games Wells filled in for DD, he put up just as good numbers. (I am not a big Wells fan either). What I see in these threads whether we are talking about Miller,Moses or DD is you have people that say they are solid and people that say they are great. Well, they are the best we have ever seen in a Texan uniform, so we get blinded by the success.. But if you took a look around the NFL and people that play those same positions, you'd find these guys average (nfl wise).

BTW .. 1000 yards isn't much anymore.

I like DD, but there are upgrades that can be made. I am sure all of you would think the R. Brown would look great in a Texan uniform with his 4.3 speed and yall probably wouldn't mind seeing DD become a 3rd down back.

twinkletwinkle
02-28-2005, 10:23 AM
DD can catch. Don't underestimate how important it is to catch. He had a couple early bad fumbles last year and got over it. He has some flash and some good moves. He is like a Westbrook with much more power. I say sign him quick before he has a Pro Bowl year, and costs too much. DD has got the skills.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 10:52 AM
DD is solid WHEN healthy. IMO.. but he can't stay healthy. The 2 games Wells filled in for DD, he put up just as good numbers. (I am not a big Wells fan either). What I see in these threads whether we are talking about Miller,Moses or DD is you have people that say they are solid and people that say they are great. Well, they are the best we have ever seen in a Texan uniform, so we get blinded by the success.. But if you took a look around the NFL and people that play those same positions, you'd find these guys average (nfl wise).

BTW .. 1000 yards isn't much anymore.

I like DD, but there are upgrades that can be made. I am sure all of you would think the R. Brown would look great in a Texan uniform with his 4.3 speed and yall probably wouldn't mind seeing DD become a 3rd down back.

True, 1000 yards isnt much, however his projected numbers from last season would be 1300 yards, not 1000. Not to mention 650 receiving yards.A 1950 total yard back aint too shabby, IMO.Let's not forget he was 4th in TDs last season. Some may say goalline back, however 6 points is 6 points anyway you slice it.

Oh and you'll definetly hear me screaming on draft day if we take Ronnie Brown. Not screaming of joy however. There's no need to add another runningback when we dont have a single RB on the roster even 25 years old.

Vinny
02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
For more than half a season Dom’s longest run of the year was 12 yards (game 10 vs Green bay he finally had a run longer than 12 yards). That means that he only had a run barely longer than a first down run in 6 of the 10 remaining games and the Texans are primarily a running football team. Dom caught a ton of dump passes but he rarely scored off of them because he does not have break away speed and his receptions were not exactly patterns…they were safety valve passes. The only back that had as many touches in the passing game was Westbrook and he had many more receiving TD’s than Dom had. So, in my eyes, that means his stats were largely the product of the system. Can he put up last years stats again? Sure, but take a look at his stats from 09/26 to 10/31 where he averaged 1.2, 2.5, 2.5, & 2.5 yards per carry on consecutive weeks. Dom just does not run the ball well unless he is 100% healthy...and so far, that is rare. The season is just too short for us to not bring in another back. It only takes one game of 1.2 ypc to knock us out of the playoffs.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
For more than half a season Dom’s longest run of the year was 12 yards (game 10 vs Green bay he finally had a run longer than 12 yards).

???

Against Tennessee, 41 yards.
At Chicago 44 yards.

Edit:Whoops, you said half a season.

That means that he only had a run barely longer than a first down run in 6 of the 10 remaining games and the Texans are primarily a running football team. Dom caught a ton of dump passes but he rarely scored off of them because he does not have break away speed and his receptions were not exactly patterns…they were safety valve passes. The only back that had as many touches in the passing game was Westbrook and he had many more receiving TD’s than Dom had. So, in my eyes, that means his stats were largely the product of the system. Can he put up last years stats again?

If we improve the offensive line, get a #2 WR in this offseason, can he put up those stats again? Why not?? Upgrades at these positions will make it even easier for him to produce.

Sure, but take a look at his stats from 09/26 to 10/31 where he averaged 1.2, 2.5, 2.5, & 2.5 yards per carry on consecutive weeks. Dom just does not run the ball well unless he is 100% healthy...and so far, that is rare. The season is just too short for us to not bring in another back. It only takes one game of 1.2 ypc to knock us out of the playoffs.

LT had 6 games this year where he averaged less than 3 YPC. Hell, thats even 1 more than DD had all year, COUNTING the game he missed with an injury.

Vinny
02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
LT had 6 games this year where he averaged less than 3 YPC. Hell, thats even 1 more than DD had all year, COUNTING the game he missed with an injury. I bet LT didn't go to week 10 before having his very FIRST 11+ yard run. The season is over by then if that is all you get out of your backs in a conservative running offense.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I bet LT didn't go to week 10 before having his very FIRST 11+ yard run. The season is over by then if that is all you get out of your backs in a conservative running offense.

YPC is a far more telling stat about a player than Longest Run. Just ask Emmitt Smith.

Vinny
02-28-2005, 12:49 PM
YPC is a far more telling stat about a player than Longest Run. Just ask Emmitt Smith. Dom's ypc in our first 10 games last year was 2.8 (a pitiful avg btw). No need to ask Emmitt about that.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Dom's ypc in our first 10 games last year was 2.8 (a pitiful avg btw). No need to ask Emmitt about that.

Shrug, either way, I'm not giving up on a projected 1950 yd back.

Vinny
02-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Who says I'm "giving up" on Dom? I'm just throwing facts on the table. We are a running team and if you don't think we will add a back to enhance our offense and give it more stability I think you are not paying attention to what kind of team we are shaping.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Who says I'm "giving up" on Dom? I'm just throwing facts on the table. We are a running team and if you don't think we will add a back to enhance our offense and give it more stability I think you are not paying attention to what kind of team we are shaping.

We have a total of SIX runningbacks that are ALL under 25 years of age.Within the top 3 you have a 1950 yard guy(DD), an "OK" backup(Wells) and a guy who had 9 teams look at to select in the supplemental draft and he lead the nation in rushing until his knee gave out in college(Hollings).It would be absolutely rediculous to sign/draft/acquire a top RB in the next 3-5 years.

Vinny
02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
We could have 50 players but that doesn't mean any of them are elite NFL backs. What we have is one guy who is a nice player but wildly inconsistent in Davis, a 2nd round project that hasn't been able to stay on the field in two years in Hollings, and Wells, who runs soft and really can't do much more than play special teams and fill in here and there. As a group we don't have much at the RB spot other than an inconsistent back and some scrubs.

rittenhouserobz
02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
True, 1000 yards isnt much, however his projected numbers from last season would be 1300 yards, not 1000. Not to mention 650 receiving yards.A 1950 total yard back aint too shabby, IMO.Let's not forget he was 4th in TDs last season. Some may say goalline back, however 6 points is 6 points anyway you slice it.

Oh and you'll definetly hear me screaming on draft day if we take Ronnie Brown. Not screaming of joy however. There's no need to add another runningback when we dont have a single RB on the roster even 25 years old.

What if we traded DD for an early 2nd round pick. Like say Miami. Who could use a RB, but is almost forced to go QB in the 1st. What happens if they don't get a RB in FA? The main reason I watch the draft is for the twists and turns that it has.

WildBlackBear32
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
What if we traded DD for an early 2nd round pick. Like say Miami. Who could use a RB, but is almost forced to go QB in the 1st. What happens if they don't get a RB in FA? The main reason I watch the draft is for the twists and turns that it has.

Couple things...

1.You wont get an early 2nd rounder for Davis. Late second, Early 3rd TOPS. Not to mention Miami doesnt have a 2nd round pick.

2.The FA/Trade market is DEEP in RBs.Jordan, Rudi Johnson*, Henry, Edge*, Larry Johnson/Blalock. The problem nowadays is there are too many good RBs AVAILABLE and not enough teams needing them.

3.If we DO for some odd reason or another trade DD, the team STILL has WAY bigger holes to fill. You start out with the fact we have absolutely no NTs under contract.

shinerbock_girl
02-28-2005, 01:46 PM
To anyone that doubts DD, 12 touchdowns speak for themselves

God i hope we don't lose DD. I don't even want to think about losing him to someone else. He's young, strong, fast and i think this season hes going to be even better. :thumbup

Sarg01
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm back to being a Davis fan. I really like how he stepped up to remove the fumblitis from his game.

In my opinion, those fumbles in the first two games are what killed his production for the first half of the season. Injury may have played a part, but it was clear he was running scared of trying to make the big play for much of the season. Capers probably threatened to stick him back on special teams. After he got his confidence back, we saw his real game - and it looked good.

I'm also not convinced there were a lot of real injury problems with Davis this year. Back in week 4, I felt that Davis was being pulled as the fumbles had convinced us that maybe Hollings would be a better choice and this (siezing on minor/trivial injury) was a good way to get him time without a 'controversy'.

Fiddy
02-28-2005, 03:11 PM
sorry fiddy but how many "goal line" backs rush for 1,188 yards in a season ?? Hasnt he shown you he can be a featured back ? i guess he'll have to go and pass emitt smiths rushing record and then maybe just maybe you will say he is a featured back ! :loserI said Davis was an excellent goal line back. That statement has nothing to do with him being the featured back. He does an excellent job getting the ball into the endzone from the 1 yard line. How did you turn that around. texanfan88 said that Davis' 13 TDs speak for themselves. I was merely pointing out that 10 out of his 13 TDs came from 2 yards or less out. 10 out of 13. That means he is a excellent goal line back.

But if you're going to turn around my statement: Ten 2 yards or less TDs dont make you a featured back.

Dannyboy81
02-28-2005, 05:15 PM
The Texans better sign him now rather then later. Since his ball security, injuries, and consistency has been an issue all of that could play an aspect for resigning him now for a reasonable amount of money for maybe a 2-4 year deal (with an option to opt out if he reaches some incentives ala Jerry Porter from Oak.). I say this because if he has a real good season he's goning to want to get paid. It would be better for the Texans to sign him now and pay him alot less money now then a ridiculous contract later!! The option to opt out of the contract will give him some saying into searching his options (hopefully after a few good seasons) and let us evaluate his production. If hes doing good be then then the Texans should keep him. If not . . . . . well, you know what they'll do. :hmmm:

Holden135
03-11-2005, 12:12 AM
It seems as though a lot of people are ready to send this guy to the bench. I don't believe he is anywhere near being our problem on offense. He has had two solid years so far. No he hasnt been pro bowl calliber or extremely consistent but he has shown big game potential especially near the end of the year. I think the offensive line as well as a lack of good play calling has limited him from having a great season. I dont think bringing in Edge or drafting a rb first round is a good idea. Who is to say the line wont bring them down to. I think our number one priority must be to solidify the o-line and the other parts that revolve around a good running game.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:19 AM
HAHA i agree with you, our o-line could make LT or even Priest Holmes look bad. Davis is a solid running back who is very talented running the ball our catching it out of the back field and making things happen ! Sure he had a rough start to the season but still managed to rush for over 1150 yrds. I see him as our main guy for years to come i see a great TRIO in Carr, Davis, and Johnnson !!!

(Davis over 1800 yrs in 2005)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:21 AM
WOW! 1800 yrs? That's a long time.

Dionysus22
03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
I totally agree! He's almost like Emmitt Smith when he first came in. No one wanted him coming out of college cuz they said he was too small. Then when the Cowboys got a better line he blew up. I see them as almost the same back. DD has a little more power but Emmitt has him on break away speed. and both have great hands coming out of the back field.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:31 AM
DD is a serviceable RB. He is an average starter and nothing more.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:31 AM
DD is an absolutely fantastic back to have. I'll even go as far to say hes a top 7 all-around runningback(in terms of rushing AND recieving). With that said, I REALLY hope Hollings starts to get more carries. He was a guy everyone had pegged in as a mid-to-late 1st rounder the year before his draft year and his huge injury.I say phase Wells out all together, slide Hollings into about 30% of the snaps while letting DD rest while Hollings is in there.Works well for both backs as it keeps DD fresh and gives Hollings more touches/downs.

some people question D.D durability and you want holling to get a start ?? I mean come on he will get maybe 3 rushes before he bites the dust again and is out for the remained of the season. Lets face it some guys arent cut out for the NFL. Plus this team has payed him for $$$$ and WHAT has he done for us ? D.D is the starter and should be given a NICE contract a few games into next season, before his value goes way up and he costs to much !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:32 AM
DD is a serviceable RB. He is an average starter and nothing more.
1000 yards for 2 seasons behind a subpar oline.

By your statement, Rudi Johnson is not a good back either.

Oh yeah, I think DD is a better receiver too.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Rudi Johnson is ok too, nothing special. He is better than DD though.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Right, so Westbrook isn't a good back either then. Yeah, every back whose name is not Portis is not good.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Westbrook is a threat everytime he touches the ball though. I can't say the same for DD.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Rudi Johnson is ok too, nothing special. He is better than DD though.

you think Rudi is bettr than Davis ??? I would like to see him do half the things Davis has done behind this TERRIBLE o-line of ours !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Threat? DD can do the same stuff too.... run and catch..... except he can pound the ball better.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:39 AM
DD doesn't have breakaway speed. That is the difference between him and Westbrook. Westbrook is a threat to score anytime the ball is in his hands.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Of course Westbrook will appear to have breakaway speed.... when you play the Eagles, you can expect pass 70%, run 30%.

Yeah, he can burn it, but it's different offenses that would allow for different productions.... Texans are opposites of the Eagles..... esp. since you just have to double Andre and stack 9 in the box to own the offense....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Stack 9 in the box? LOL. No one was stacking 9 in the box against us. DD isn't much of a threat so there was no need to do all that just to stop our running game.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:45 AM
ok i'd take D.D over Westbrook any day of the week. End of disscusion !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:46 AM
ok i'd take D.D over Westbrook any day of the week. End of disscusion !

Of course you would. You're a homer.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Stack 9 in the box? LOL. No one was stacking 9 in the box against us. DD isn't much of a threat so there was no need to do all that just to stop our running game.C'mon.... Texans ran the ball 80% of the time..... then we would vary to a quick hitch/fade to Dre.... then the rest are send everyone on random patterns and dump the ball to DD under shallow coverage.... our offense was too obvious [thank you Palmer].... of course DD cannot break any long runs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:49 AM
The Texans passed more than they ran, but I'm sure you already knew that. :)

WildBlackBear32
03-11-2005, 12:49 AM
you think Rudi is bettr than Davis ??? I would like to see him do half the things Davis has done behind this TERRIBLE o-line of ours !

You really need to watch Rudi Johnson more if you think DD is the better back. Rudi Johnson is top 5 in the LEAGUE in terms of pure, rushing talent.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:50 AM
C'mon..... any game in which the Texans were down in the 4th.... I called a draw play on 3rd down and got them right 95% of the time.... the offense is too obvious unlike the Eagles....

on another note.... Rudi and DD are tough to compare..... Rudi is powerback, DD is versatility back....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:52 AM
The Texans were still primarily a passing team because that is where our playmakers are.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:53 AM
You really need to watch Rudi Johnson more if you think DD is the better back. Rudi Johnson is top 5 in the LEAGUE in terms of pure, rushing talent.

yeah i'm sure his o-line had absolutly NOTHING to do with any of his success !!! And our o-line had everything to do with D.D success :loser . Give me a break you cant compare pure rushing talent until you put them in the same scenario, and buddy the 2 teams and their o-lines are completly different !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 12:55 AM
The Texans were still primarily a passing team because that is where our playmakers are.Playmakers?! Our only receiver playmaker is Dre..... [no offense to Gaffney and Armstrong.... they are good possession receivers, but not as gamebreaking as Dre]

Besides, we are a Capers team. He and Palmer are conservative folks.... they play to not lose, which means grind it out on the ground.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:55 AM
DD is a great 3rd down back and a serviceable starter. That is just the truth.

WildBlackBear32
03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
yeah i'm sure his o-line had absolutly NOTHING to do with any of his success !!! And our o-line had everything to do with D.D success :loser . Give me a break you cant compare pure rushing talent until you put them in the same scenario, and buddy the 2 teams and their o-lines are completly different !
Why cant you compare rushing talent? Rushing talent is an individual attribute. Give DD the Cheifs line and he still wont be a between the tackles rusher. Rudi Johnson however has the speed and power to run to the outside and the inside.

keyfro
03-11-2005, 12:58 AM
D.D. is a decent back...westbrook i think is a better reciever than runningback...if some crazy thing happens during the draft we could end up with benson or brown and we would have a duo really worth talking about

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Carr and our receivers were the playmakers on offense.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 12:59 AM
if not for the fact he has done so good as a #1 starter the last 2 years i might agree with you, but i have seen NOTHING that shows me any signs that he is a 3rd down back !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:00 AM
And your reason to further support your claim?

DD has done incredibly well on a team that is too predictable in offense, and with no major run support abilities. Heck, to gain 1000 yards again after the team switched blocking schemes is impressive enough.

And his dinky dink passes are nothing to scoff at.... he does average 8 yards a catch, which is a good chunk of yards for dump offs.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:01 AM
if not for the fact he has done so good as a #1 starter the last 2 years i might agree with you, but i have seen NOTHING that shows me any signs that he is a 3rd down back !

You must have missed the first 10 games of the season then because he was downright awful during that timespan.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
You must have missed the first 10 games of the season then because he was downright awful during that timespan.He was playing injured during that span.

You tell me how someone produces in a physical game, when their tires need to be inflated?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
You are just adding to my argument. He is also not durable enough to be a true franchise back.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
hmm if thats the case he musta rushed for a thousand yards in 6 games, and i wonder why carr was sacked so many times this season ???? Well guys its offical o-line has NOTHING to do with anything, so Davis Sucks and carr sucks and Johnnson sucks (because carr cant get him the ball),,,, so heres how i see it we need to bench carr, Cut Davis and make Johnnson just a special teams guy, since every thing they do is not based on the help of any other players !!!

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:08 AM
You are just adding to my argument. He is also not durable enough to be a true franchise back.
By that reasoning, you are also saying that by last season, we can say LDT is not a franchise back either.

Heck, Jamal Lewis is not a good franchise back either! He missed a bunch of games with that ankle sprain, and he did miss that one season. Heck, he is an off-field liability too!

Man, you open my mind!

I never knew so many backs were terrible!!!!111one

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Carr and Johnson have nothing to do with Davis not being a true feature back.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Tomlinson and Lewis are proven franchise backs, DD is not.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:13 AM
I knew we had some homers on this board, but this is almost ridiculous. lol

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:14 AM
sorry but they do, lets see the o-line protects carr so he can pass, a passing game helps the running game, while the running game in other words helps Davis, now since they cant protect carr it is VERY odd they cant run block worth a **** either (sarcasim). So lets see they put one man on Johnnson and fill the box with defenders since they know carr wont have time to get the ball to they WRs anyways, well this makes it very difficult for Davis to run past 9 guys while only maybe 1 of them are beign blocked, this in other words makes it hard to pick up yards, and at last this makes it to where he looks bad and fans like you dont think he deserves to be a starter !!!!

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Tomlinson and Lewis are proven franchise backs, DD is not.They both rushed for 1000 yards their first two seasons [disregarding the one Lewis missed].

DD has done the same.... heck, he put up more TDs than Jamal Lewis!

btw, why are you stooping to the low point of having to call us "homers" to make you feel superior in argument?

Are you inferring we are homosexuals, and as such, insulting homosexuals as well?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:17 AM
No one ever put 9 guys in the box against us.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:18 AM
It's called exaggeration.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:20 AM
No one ever put 9 guys in the box against us.

haha out of ALL i wrote there all ya could respond with is nobody ever put 9 guys in the box ??? hmmmmm ok well lets put it nice and simple ya might not think D.D is starting RB material, but thats really irrelivant because he will be the starter next season, and problably the season after that and after that. So regardless of what you our even all the Anti D.D people think, he has been the starter and will continue to be. You'll be on the bandwagon soon enough !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:21 AM
btw, why are you stooping to the low point of having to call us "homers" to make you feel superior in argument?

Are you inferring we are homosexuals, and as such, insulting homosexuals as well?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Homer doesn't mean homosexual.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Then what does it mean, then? Better yet, why do you need to insult us.....

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:22 AM
It's called exaggeration.

haha thank you, i'm glad someone understood !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
DD may be starting for us, but that doesn't make him a true franchise back. He is just a serviceable one until we find a permanent replacement.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Then what does it mean, then? Better yet, why do you need to insult us.....

it means we're ignorant true to our team fans, and are gonna agree and go for them no matter what the situation is !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:24 AM
And your reasoning is? You've seem to run out of supporting statements and facts to backup your argument.

Oh yeah, I ain't no homer then........ I don't like some crud we do with the team..... I call it tough love....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Homer isn't an insult. Just means you're drinking too much of the Texan koolaid and it is beginning to cloud your judgement.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:25 AM
The context you use it in, sounds like an insult.

"so many homers" doesn't sound too playful.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:25 AM
DD may be starting for us, but that doesn't make him a true franchise back. He is just a serviceable one until we find a permanent replacement.

well thats you opinion, if we take a good running back in the draft you may be correct, but if not than he may very well be our franchise back ! I guess only time will tell !

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:27 AM
why are you gonna rip on someone when the last 6 games he put up godly numbers, what has he done that makes you think he cant produce... was he injured, yeah but thats the NFL, those things happen, its not like DD is the first person to ever have a couple seasons where the athlete was troubled by injuries, it happens a lot, the guy is going to be in his 3rd year, and has 2 thousand yard seasons, yeah its only a thousand yards, but so what... if it wasnt for him those last 6 games we might have lost a lot more than we did.... and a homer has to deal with supporting a team, only when they are winning, thats a homer.... so it should not be used in a homosexual way, or a term in which to reference stupidity

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:30 AM
why are you gonna rip on someone when the last 6 games he put up godly numbers, what has he done that makes you think he cant produce... was he injured, yeah but thats the NFL, those things happen, its not like DD is the first person to ever have a couple seasons where the athlete was troubled by injuries, it happens a lot, the guy is going to be in his 3rd year, and has 2 thousand yard seasons, yeah its only a thousand yards, but so what... if it wasnt for him those last 6 games we might have lost a lot more than we did.... and a homer has to deal with supporting a team, only when they are winning, thats a homer.... so it should not be used in a homosexual way, or a term in which to reference stupidity

been trying to tell them man, i guess some just wont accept that D. Davis is the RB of the present and the FUTURE !!!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:30 AM
DD is not a gamebreaker and isn't a threat to take it the distance, his durability is a question mark, he is not a workhorse type back that you can pound the rock with to kill some time off the clock, opposing teams don't have to gameplan their defensive scheme around him. DD doesn't force safeties to come into the box. Like I said, he is a very good 3rd down back but only a serviceable starter.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:32 AM
You already made those points, and I already argued against them.

Make some new ones.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:33 AM
DD is not a gamebreaker and isn't a threat to take it the distance, his durability is a question mark, he is not a workhorse type back that you can pound the rock with to kill some time off the clock, opposing teams don't have to gameplan their defensive scheme around him. DD doesn't force safeties to come into the box. Like I said, he is a very good 3rd down back but only a serviceable starter.

well see that may be why yuo and i are not the coaches, because the coaches obviously think he is a solid STARTING RB. And we can argue all we want but as long as they keep thinking that way he will remain our #1 RB !!!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Those last 6 games were meaningless because we were already out of the playoff race by then. The lack of a running game in the first 10 games is the reason we were already out of it.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:35 AM
You already made those points, and I already argued against them.

Make some new ones.

I don't recall an argument on your part. At least a good one to be specific.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:36 AM
the final 6 games, he was rippin runs no problem, and yeah he might not have the greatest speed, but a lot of backs dont, he is shifty and elusive, which is plenty, he has above avg speed...EVERYONES DURABILITY IN THE NFL IS A PROBLEM, NOT JUST DD

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Those last 6 games were meaningless because we were already out of the playoff race by then. The lack of a running game in the first 10 games is the reason we were already out of it.

hmm and the lack of o-line resulted in the lack of a running game !!! Dont ya see the domino affect steel blue ? You think Denver just so happens to have a star running back in every person who runs the ball behind their o-line ????? I DONT THINK so theres more to it than that (geeezz i wonder what it could be) :hmmm:

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Meaningless? We could've still made it at 10-6.

And DD was injured in those 10 games..... if we carried his healthy production over to those 10 games.... the 2004 Texans are a different story.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
The final 6 games were meaningless. Where was he when the games actually mattered. 2.8 YPC with a longest run of 12 yards is awful.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Dude. We already said he was playing injured.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:41 AM
i'll say it again !!!!!!!!!!!!

You think Denver just so happens to have a star running back in every person who runs the ball behind their o-line ????? I DONT THINK so theres more to it than that (geeezz i wonder what it could be)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:43 AM
DD has had problems with injuries in both seasons he has been in the league. His durability is a question mark.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't recall an argument on your part. At least a good one to be specificHere's an argument. My arguments were countering your arguments. And you haven't made any fresh ones since. All you've done is restate what was countered, and called us homers in a negative manner.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:45 AM
DD has had problems with injuries in both seasons he has been in the league. His durability is a question mark.And AGAIN you restate an old argument we've countered.....

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Fred Taylor had injuries, was he not a franchise back, he never had amazing speed... but he was a gamer, and that what DD is... everyone know that the beggining of the season Dre was getting single coverege and killing teams deep, because teams were puttin so many in the box to stop the run... then teams changed strategy, and Davis was whippin off runs... Davis was hurt, running against a crowded line in the beggining, and at 100 percent against while the Line did better run support, and the line wasnt so crowded, he was a very good back

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Let's get real here. Fred Taylor is far more talented than DD. That isn't even worth debating.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Why is it not worth debating?

Your arguments keep getting weaker; you're too lazy to back up yuor claims.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:51 AM
DD is not a gamebreaker and isn't a threat to take it the distance

i do seem to remember this game against the titans last season where he ran a 40 + yarder back to the house !!!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:53 AM
i do seem to remember this game against the titans last season where he ran a 40 + yarder back to the house !!!

Do you realize that the Titans gave him that TD? It was the only way they could have a chance to come back and win the game.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Let's get real here. Fred Taylor is far more talented than DD. That isn't even worth debating.

OHHH but wasnt he injuried in the late part of the season ??? well maybe taylor should become a 3rd down back, and than we can let hollings take over the starting job ! :loser

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:54 AM
its not worth debating cuz you will lose....
brought to you by infantrycak

Well for the 1st two years of their careers:

ypc Taylor wins 4.6 ypc v. 4.1
yards DD wins 2219 v. 1955
TD's DD wins 21 v. 20
20+ runs Taylor wins 14 v. 10

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Why is it not worth debating?

Your arguments keep getting weaker; you're too lazy to back up yuor claims.

It isn't worth debating because Fred Taylor has been a far more productive player than DD.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Do you realize that the Titans gave him that TD? It was the only way they could have a chance to come back and win the game.

he had a couple 40+ers i believe against the jags in one game, and he had a great game against the browns, he might have been the only texan that played well that game

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 01:57 AM

oh lord i dont wanna hear that AGAIN, thats what everyone was claiming, well i seriously doubt they did !!! Cause if that was the case i doubt all the guys woulda chased after him so hard like they did ! Plus its not written out staed anywhere, its just what all yall are assuming !!! You have assumptions we have proof, you lose steel blue !

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 01:57 AM

TD's DD wins 21 v. 20

im quoting myself, just so you can see it again.... OF COURSE TAYLOR HAS BEEN MORE PRODUCTIVE THROUGH HIS CAREER, HE HAS PLAYED LONGER :loser

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:58 AM

TD's DD wins 21 v. 20

You are comparing 29 of DD's games to 25 of Fred Taylor's.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:58 AM
It isn't worth debating because Fred Taylor has been a far more productive player than DD.
Right.... but it's been shown that DD has put more yards and TDs on than Taylor in first two years.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:59 AM
oh lord i dont wanna hear that AGAIN, thats what everyone was claiming, well i seriously doubt they did !!! Cause if that was the case i doubt all the guys woulda chased after him so hard like they did ! Plus its not written out staed anywhere, its just what all yall are assuming !!! You have assumptions we have proof, you lose steel blue !

LMAO! Go watch the play again. None of the Titans were even interested in trying to stop the run.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:00 AM

WOW D.D hasnt played in 29 games. Re do your math there if ya may !

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Then that proves that DD was even more durable then Taylor, way to back yourself into that one

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:01 AM
im quoting myself, just so you can see it again.... OF COURSE TAYLOR HAS BEEN MORE PRODUCTIVE THROUGH HIS CAREER, HE HAS PLAYED LONGER :loser

Wow, you are a lost cause. :loser

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Then that proves that DD was even more durable then Taylor, way to back yourself into that one

haha yeah he's right i thought he wasnt very durable, only missing 3 games in 2 years, wow !!! haha your a lost cause steel blue.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:03 AM

Taylor has always had the knock against him that he is injury prone. No one is denying that, but when you compare DD's 2 seasons to any of Fred Taylor's season in which he played the majority of the time, it isn't even close. You won't find a single unbiased fan that would rather have DD than Taylor.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:04 AM
you might just want to stop arguing, your not getting very far with it, we continue to prove you wrong on the topic, that Davis has put up comparible numbers, and in which davis played in more games (so you say) then taylor. so that busts your more durable arguement, either way you lose

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Steel blue, do you ALWAYS have to resort to insults when you cannot argue back?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:05 AM
It's like I'm discussing football with my little sister. Some of you are much too clueless to have an intelligent football conversation with.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:06 AM
steel blue since when did you start speaking for all the fans out there ??? you say one thing and can NEVER back up your statements i think your just trying to increase your post count or something when all your actually doing is making yourself look ignorant !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Steel blue, do you ALWAYS have to resort to insults when you cannot argue back?

No need to argue with you. There is no challenge in that.

THEFUTURE
its their first two seasons of both of their careers, and yeah taylor has had that knock, until he went like 50 straight games playing.... but in the case he is injury prone, he is still a great back....and so then whats the knock on davis for having injuries, he cant be the same way

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:07 AM
It's like I'm discussing football with my little sister. Some of you are much too clueless to have an intelligent football conversation with.AGAIN WITH THE INSULTS.

Look at yourself. You've stopped arguing anyways.... I take it you succumb.....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:07 AM
The difference is that Taylor is far more productive than DD when healthy. Now that wasn't so hard to understand was it?

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Steel, this board is to talk football, which you do poorly, it is not a use to insult people or poke fun at them, in a vain attempt to make yourself look better, for if it was that.... you might need another 1,000 posts just to have an ounce of respect, but keep posting how you are and that definatly wont happen

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:09 AM
Let's not forget several of DD's games were hampered by nagging injuries..... so the initial stat comparision ARE fair.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Steel, this board is to talk football, which you do poorly, it is not a use to insult people or poke fun at them, in a vain attempt to make yourself look better, for if it was that.... you might need another 1,000 posts just to have an ounce of respect, but keep posting how you are and that definatly wont happen

I don't need to make myself look better. You guys are doing the work for me. :thumbup

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:11 AM
OKKK let me try to put this in simple terms for you, Its called similar situations. Now do you think big ben coulda came in to houston in our expansion year and did what he did for the steelers this year ? well knowing you you problably do. But put FT behind the O-Line that Davis runs behind and than you MIGHT be able to compare the 2, until then you are just making senseless arguments !

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:11 AM
The difference is that Taylor is far more productive than DD when healthy. Now that wasn't so hard to understand was it?
how can you compare that, DD has been around for two years, thats all you can compare, when their careers are over, trying making a point then jack, but as of now, you have none.... DD first two years= had some injuries... taylors first two= had some injuries....davis still put up comparable numbers

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:14 AM
you can try and act all smug and cool, posting like your a bad dude that i wouldnt want to mess with, the truth is i dont care who you are, your some 20 year old punk mother ****** that comes on a board, and makes a horrible arguement, gets proved wrong, and tries to stir the arguement away from football and aims it at the people who he is mad at, your a freakin baby

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Steel Blue, you keep insulting and insulting...... is there a point you try to make when you try to relate your opinion of us to DD?

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:15 AM
well steel blue i can see why ya know so much its cause ya talk football with your little sister, i feel for ya i really do, well maybe ya should put her on the computer that way we cann all have a reasonable chat about Football, unti lthen i guess we can expect your theories, unproven facts, and your greta reasoning behing every useless statement ya make ! Have a nice night !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
you can try and act all smug and cool, posting like your a bad dude that i wouldnt want to mess with, the truth is i dont care who you are, your some 20 year old punk mother ****** that comes on a board, and makes a horrible arguement, gets proved wrong, and tries to stir the arguement away from football and aims it at the people who he is mad at, your a freakin baby

Doesn't sound like I'm the one trying to be a "bad dude". Pot meet kettle. :whistle:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:19 AM
well steel blue i can see why ya know so much its cause ya talk football with your little sister, i feel for ya i really do, well maybe ya should put her on the computer that way we cann all have a reasonable chat about Football, unti lthen i guess we can expect your theories, unproven facts, and your greta reasoning behing every useless statement ya make ! Have a nice night !

I'm not the one trying to convince myself that DD is a true franchise back. :heh:

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:19 AM
come to cali, i have no problem showing you how bad i am... but i dont need to, you would never make the trip, you would just make up some excuse for that too. you got a clever little remark about a pot and a kettle thats all good and dandy, and im not gonna continue shooting back and forth comments, just so you dont have to deal with the fact you are wrong

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Challenging me to an internet fight? Yup, I've seen enough to know who is really trying to act like the "bad dude". LOL

G-Man
03-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Foreman or Sharper? Are there any deals on the table?

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Steel Blue.... and everyone else...... it appears there is nothing more to add to this discussion because SOMEONE had to start a flame war......

I'm bowing out for now.... particular persons should learn when to make a clean break [that means no insults....] and walk off......

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm not the one trying to convince myself that DD is a true franchise back. :heh:

no actually its you whos trying to convince your self that Davis IS NOT a featured back. When in reality its stupid and i'm gonna tell ya why (its a secret) shhhhhhhhhhh..... BECAUSE HE IS THE TEXANS FEATURED BACK !!!!!

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:24 AM
See i said come to cali, that aint no internet fight, but hell... i out argued you, and it doesnt sink in, i dont have a problem beating it in dude, if you want to argue about football fine, do it and take the risk of being wrong like you are now... but dont come on and belittle people when they prove you wrong and you cant take it... understand

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Foreman or Sharper? Are there any deals on the table?

Nothing so far. Seattle and Cincy may be interested, but if a deal can't be made, Sharper and Foreman want to be released. John Clayton thinks the asking price would be a 4th round pick.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:27 AM
See i said come to cali, that aint no internet fight, but hell... i out argued you, and it doesnt sink in, i dont have a problem beating it in dude, if you want to argue about football fine, do it and take the risk of being wrong like you are now... but dont come on and belittle people when they prove you wrong and you cant take it... understand

I'm not sure if even you realize how dumb you look right now. Challenging someone on a message board to a fight? Do you really expect someone to fly to Cali to meet you up. Tsk tsk.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:31 AM
actually i do, cuz they have... see thats what people with balls do... but what really is funny, is i keep trying to get you to shut up, and talk about football, im giving you the chance to just walk away from this, but you cant... so if i look dumb for trying to shut you up, because you were the person casting insults to begin with then thats fine, i dont care... i dont need to look cool, at 21, you need some growing up to do man... yea i told you to come to cali, you wont, i know it, you know it... thats ok, i can beat you down longer hear, mentally

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 02:32 AM
I'm not sure if even you realize how dumb you look right now. Challenging someone on a message board to a fight? Do you really expect someone to fly to Cali to meet you up. Tsk tsk.

steel blue work on ya arguing tactics and while your at it why dont ya show jason babin how to do more than stand in one spot and spin in circles ??? he looks kinda like a balerina when he does that, now all he needs is a tutu !!! I'm going to bed, goodnight all and oh yeah good night Davis the Texans FEATURED RB.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
and tsk tsk? what are you a freakin 2nd grade teacher, tsk tsk your petty thoughts and your petty arguements

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
no actually its you whos trying to convince your self that Davis IS NOT a featured back. When in reality its stupid and i'm gonna tell ya why (its a secret) shhhhhhhhhhh..... BECAUSE HE IS THE TEXANS FEATURED BACK !!!!!

Just because there's nobody better on the team now...

If Ceddy, Ronnie Brown, or 'Lac fall to 13, you better believe we snatch him in a heartbeat unless DJ is still available...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
actually i do, cuz they have... see thats what people with balls do... but what really is funny, is i keep trying to get you to shut up, and talk about football, im giving you the chance to just walk away from this, but you cant... so if i look dumb for trying to shut you up, because you were the person casting insults to begin with then thats fine, i dont care... i dont need to look cool, at 21, you need some growing up to do man... yea i told you to come to cali, you wont, i know it, you know it... thats ok, i can beat you down longer hear, mentally

So it takes balls to challenge someone to a fight that lives in an entirely different state. lol

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:36 AM
Just because there's nobody better on the team now...

If Ceddy, Ronnie Brown, or 'Lac fall to 13, you better believe we snatch him in a heartbeat unless DJ is still available...

Exactly. :thumbup

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:38 AM
and tsk tsk? what are you a freakin 2nd grade teacher, tsk tsk your petty thoughts and your petty arguements

said the "bad dude" :rofl:

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 02:39 AM
LoL the mods are gonna have fun with this thread in the morning...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
LoL the mods are gonna have fun with this thread in the morning...

Vinny should get a good laugh from it. I know I did.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
dear god... shut up.... it takes balls to stand up and fight, for anything. but you just like to argue to incredible lengths about one thing i said, when i have even tried to drop it, and talk about football... grow up, im being the bigger man, and saying just shut up and talk about football, and be prepared for the consequences for when someone disagrees and out debates you... im not gonna keep coming back to this same point which you nag on one thing... i proved you had no merrit in what you were saying, and now you want to make this a little fight over who is tougher and stuff, are you serious? i dont need to impress people, people can like me or hate me, i dont care, but i when you go and started talking down to other people, that stuff aint alright with me, so i said something about that too... just shut up

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:43 AM
i really dont care what they think, if they read what im saying, i said a couple things that i shouldnt have, but hell the point i am making is that this is a football board, and this guy totally went off track and started raggin on people, and that isnt alright. so i dont really care what the mods or anyone else thinks, i dont need to

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:44 AM
It doesn't take balls to challenge someone to a fight on the computer, especially when one person lives in Cali and the other in Texas. Sounds more like a coward move to me.

michaelm
03-11-2005, 02:45 AM
you want some good RB debate...

click here (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=7221)

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:46 AM
Are You Missing Everything I Am Saying, Read The Entire Article Jack, I Dont Care About Fighting, I Dont Need To, Talk Football... I Said Something, And The Only Reason I Would Fight You, Is I Dont Like You... I Dont Like The Person You Are, The Person You Represent... You Represent A Coward, And A Selfish Person. Someone That Needs To Be Right And Needs To Have The Last Word, Its What Drives You... And Its Pothetic

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Yea, I'm the coward. Aren't you the one that asked me to fly to Cali just to fight you? LMAO! At least you're good for a laugh.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:49 AM
you want some good RB debate...

click here (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=7221)

No doubt Alexander is a better back than DD, but it would take a lot more than Sharper to take him away from the Seahawks.

michaelm
03-11-2005, 02:51 AM
No doubt Alexander is a better back than DD, but it would take a lot more than Sharper to take him away from the Seahawks.

Agreed, but there may be things we could throw in like a mid rnd pick or even DD himself...
just firing off wild scenarios...

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:51 AM
man, you are a pothetic human being and i hate saying that about people, i can write a hundred times i dont care about fighting you, but you keep clinging to it, you are trying to make light of a situation in which you cant run from, so you bring up one statement, when i have made a lot more since then that you should have a bigger problem with.... i have said it plenty of times man... just grow up, thats all

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 02:54 AM
You brought it up, not me. We'll just leave it at that, because quite frankly, it is a waste of both yours and my time.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 02:59 AM
i am not the one that started insulting people when they out debated me, did i say some stupid stuff, yea, only one thing, and that is challenging you to a fight, but since then man i have said to drop it repeatedly, and you cant... i started getting on you, because you had no right to insult others. when you are perfect you let me know, but no one is, no me, not you.... no one is. and i refuse to let people rag on others because of their own insecurities, i just wont let it happen, regardless of any consequnces that might be bestowed upon me

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 03:01 AM
im finished, i got class in like 5 hours... but i agree to drop all this stuff, its not nescessary

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't recall anyone outdebating me nor do I recall insulting anyone first. That is unless you consider calling someone a homer an insult. If that were the case, then I recommend you ease up and learn how to take a joke.

michaelm
03-11-2005, 03:07 AM
I guess my strategy failed...

michaelm
03-11-2005, 03:07 AM
to change the subject and devert you two from your argument...

michaelm
03-11-2005, 03:08 AM
these things can get so nasty...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 03:09 AM
Well, maybe it did work after all? lol

michaelm
but you two were lovers once...

Please kiss and make up!!!!!

THEFUTURE
nobody else thought any thing you said was a joke or was funny, so at that point, you needed to stop... and not continue saying that we are ignorant, or that your sister gives better arguement, or saying people are wastes of time... when is that stuff funny, those are insults. blatant insults, and i wasnt up for letting you trash any one... regardless if you were outdebated or not

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 03:11 AM
You two should seriously just drop it...It's pointless...

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 03:13 AM
but i dont kiss no dudes or love em unless they are family, that is only the love part, not the kissin, i aint like that... no disrespect to anyone that is, ya know... all this really is, is i dont like people disrespected... if someone came on here today, and said something bout steel i didnt like i would have his back too.... BUT WE CAN ALL RAG ON JAGS FANS THO, THAT IS UNDERSTOOD, haha

michaelm
03-11-2005, 03:23 AM
but i dont kiss no dudes or love em unless they are family, that is only the love part, not the kissin, i aint like that... no disrespect to anyone that is, ya know... all this really is, is i dont like people disrespected... if someone came on here today, and said something bout steel i didnt like i would have his back too.... BUT WE CAN ALL RAG ON JAGS FANS THO, THAT IS UNDERSTOOD, haha

Dude, this is hilarious! Probably even funnier than you intended!
The two of you have provided me with an amazing amount of entertainment tonight, and in the morning when the moderators wipe it out, all we'll have are the memories... sigh...!

Now I'monna go 'n eat me an eigg sammich!!!

LOL

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 03:23 AM
BUT WE CAN ALL RAG ON JAGS FANS THO, THAT IS UNDERSTOOD, haha

Well, there's one thing we can agree on. :heh:

scourge
03-11-2005, 04:12 AM
you guys are pathetic...

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you are still retarded."

And while I'm not choosing sides, there really are some serious homers here...

spence425
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I am not sold on Davis yet. I think he is a good player but he makes too many mistakes (fumbles). Anyone think we can get a 1st round pick and maybe a little more for him and go after one of the three top backs (Benson, and the two Auburn backs) in the draft?

my only argument here is with your comment about his fumbles. he did have a rough stretch last year, but it wasn't nearly that big of an issue the year before. P.S.- look at tiki barber...maybe he just needs to work on his grip. dom is a spectacular all around player and brings a dimension to the passing game that less than half the teams in the league have. he can run and catch.

i say keep him. the best option might be to also bring in a hybrid back, a possible fullback/possible tailback to spell dom or for different situations.

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Should we considering moving all Dom Davis topics to the "No Spin Zone"??? :heh:

Blake
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
my only argument here is with your comment about his fumbles. he did have a rough stretch last year, but it wasn't nearly that big of an issue the year before. P.S.- look at tiki barber...maybe he just needs to work on his grip. dom is a spectacular all around player and brings a dimension to the passing game that less than half the teams in the league have. he can run and catch.

i say keep him. the best option might be to also bring in a hybrid back, a possible fullback/possible tailback to spell dom or for different situations.

I agree. I think that Dom is a good back. Not great by any means of the imagination. But where does it say you need a franchise back to win a superbowl? Yeah it helps, but there are 22 players on a team.

I kinda like finding the diamonds in the rough in round 4 anywho.

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 12:19 PM
you guys are pathetic...

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics... even if you win, you are still retarded."

And while I'm not choosing sides, there really are some serious homers here...

does everyone not argue on this board? people do it all the time to debate topics, yes stuff got out of control and it shouldnt have gone where it went, but that stuff happens, and make sure you know what homer means before you go and use it again... plus im sure there are more intelligent ways to get your point across then to use a word like homer

THEFUTURE
03-11-2005, 12:21 PM
but back to DD, Davis was a steal in the 4th, and so far has had a very good career. maybe we draft a running back later in the draft, but DD re emerged as a very good back at the end of last year, so the coaches probably have him on high regard, plus hollings i think will still work out

TheOgre
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
The fact that teams scheme for us TO run the ball says all I need to know about Davis. He isn't a star. With the type of offense Capers likes to run, we need a star HB IMO.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:14 PM
The "star" on Capers' 96 Panthers was Anthony Johnson. He rushed for 1100 yards. He's a no name now.

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 01:20 PM
The "star" on Capers' 96 Panthers was Anthony Johnson. He rushed for 1100 yards. He's a no name now.But at the time, Panther fans probably were all in love with Anthony Johnson like most people on this board are in love with Davis.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
The fact that teams scheme for us TO run the ball says all I need to know about Davis. He isn't a star. With the type of offense Capers likes to run, we need a star HB IMO.

The exact point I have been trying to make.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 01:35 PM
There is a big difference between Johnson and Davis.

Davis repeated the feat. In a league like the NFL where a lot of players are often one season wonders, it's a good sign of a good player who can repeat their performance.

I'd also like to point out that Curtis Martin and Domanick Davis share very similar stats their first two years in the league [give or take 300 yards in rushing.... but then again DD wasn't starter all 16 games his rookie season....]

edit: I do acknowledge that it would be fine for the Texans to draft a compliment to DD though. Running backs have short careers, and good ones are not always an easy find. I certainly would not want DD to end up broken down like a Faulk.

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 01:47 PM
There is a big difference between Johnson and Davis.

Davis repeated the feat. In a league like the NFL where a lot of players are often one season wonders, it's a good sign of a good player who can repeat their performance.The reason Johnson didnt repeat the feat was because they got another guy that was an upgrade over a 1000 yard rusher.

Fred Lane replaced Johnson the next year and although Lane didnt have as many yards (AJ- 1120 to FD- 809), Lane had a higher yard per carry average (4.4 to 3.7), a longer run (50 to 29) and a one more TD (7 to 6)

I'd also like to point out that Curtis Martin and Domanick Davis share very similar stats their first two years in the league [give or take 300 yards in rushing.... but then again DD wasn't starter all 16 games his rookie season....]When Davis rushes for 1000 yards in 10 straight seasons (is it 10 or 11???), I'll acknowdelge this comment

edit: I do acknowledge that it would be fine for the Texans to draft a compliment to DD though. Running backs have short careers, and good ones are not always an easy find. I certainly would not want DD to end up broken down like a Faulk.That broken down Faulk still averaged 4 yards a carry last season and Faulk didnt have to wait to game 12 for a run longer then 10 yards. (And no one confuse the Rams o-line to the Broncos o-line)

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
The reason Johnson didnt repeat the feat was because they got another guy that was an upgrade over a 1000 yard rusher.

Fred Lane replaced Johnson the next year and although Lane didnt have as many yards (AJ- 1120 to FD- 809), Lane had a higher yard per carry average (4.4 to 3.7), a longer run (50 to 29) and a one more TD (7 to 6)By your argument, Steven Jackson is a better HB than LDT because of YPC.

That said, Fred Lane wasn't anything special..... he never broke 1000 yards, and only played 3 seasons. DD shows much more promise than this.

That broken down Faulk still averaged 4 yards a carry last season and Faulk didnt have to wait to game 12 for a run longer then 10 yards. (And no one confuse the Rams o-line to the Broncos o-line)The Rams were 99% pass 1% run. Of course Faulk will be able to run better!

Speaking of Faulk, he can also be a good example of a top HB whose initial 2 seasons could be compared to DD! In fact, I think he did much worse than DD, but look at how he's turned out!

Also, why do I have to keep saying that DD was playing through injuries in that stretch of games! You would be saying that a kid on crutches is terrible at a foot race when he is at a disadvantage.

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
By your argument, Steven Jackson is a better HB than LDT because of YPC.Well, some people argue that since Davis had as many TDs as LT he is as good so take what you want from my last comment.

That said, Fred Lane wasn't anything special..... he never broke 1000 yards, and only played 3 seasons. DD shows much more promise than this.But the point was that, although Anthony Johnson rushed for 1100 yards, Capers still felt that there should be an upgrade cause Johnson was solid but not a star

The Rams were 99% pass 1% run. Of course Faulk will be able to run better!What???

Speaking of Faulk, he can also be a good example of a top HB whose initial 2 seasons could be compared to DD! In fact, I think he did much worse than DD, but look at how he's turned out!Faulk had 2360 rushing yards, 22 rushing TDs, 997 recieving yards with 4 TDs (7 receptions over 20 and 2 receptions over 40)

Davis had 2219 rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs, 939 receving yards with 1 TD (1 reception over 20 and none over 40)

Those stats are very similar exept for big plays, Faulk used to be able to score from anywhere on the field. Faulk had breakaway speed and moves on top of that

Also, why do I have to keep saying that DD was playing through injuries in that stretch of games! You would be saying that a kid on crutches is terrible at a foot race when he is at a disadvantage.Can anyone point me out the plays Davis has been injured on??? All I see is a normal play, nothing funny going on and Davis is limping on the bench a couple minutes later. His injuries come from being worn down it seems to me.

gg no re
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
But the point was that, although Anthony Johnson rushed for 1100 yards, Capers still felt that there should be an upgrade cause Johnson was solid but not a starAnd what an upgrade it was!!!! Lane did not last very long.

The Draft is always a crapshoot..... if you 'think' you can get an upgrade, more often than not, you would be wrong.

Could there be an upgrade over DD? Yes.

Will you always get good production over that upgrade? Almost never.

Point being, consistency is always better than gambling for an upgrade in the draft. Why, by your argument, Hollings should overtake DD for the starting RB..... after all, he was a starting college HB, was projected to be 1st round, and has better speed, right?

What???Let me explain myself better.

By my 99% 1% remark, I'm saying that it is obvious that the Rams will always pass the football.

Your defensive mindset should be, "Send 11 guys into coverage, because Martz is calling a pass."

Now, on plays where Martz has a bit of sanity, he will call a run play. If the defense thinks pass, and you call run, do the math.

Look at the Texans. We run more than we need to, and defenses can guess when we run with accuracy. [I can guess so many times when the Texans would run a draw on 3rd and long]

Those stats are very similar exept for big plays, Faulk used to be able to score from anywhere on the field. Faulk had breakaway speed and moves on top of thatLet's not forget. Faulk plays for dome teams. Wouldn't that artificial turf have anything to do with his 'speed'?

I'm sure much could be learned from this year's Colts.

Can anyone point me out the plays Davis has been injured on??? All I see is a normal play, nothing funny going on and Davis is limping on the bench a couple minutes later. His injuries come from being worn down it seems to me.He's had an ankle sprain vs. the Chiefs, and a groin injury vs. the Titans.

scourge
03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
does everyone not argue on this board? people do it all the time to debate topics, yes stuff got out of control and it shouldnt have gone where it went, but that stuff happens, and make sure you know what homer means before you go and use it again... plus im sure there are more intelligent ways to get your point across then to use a word like homer

Yes, people do argue, but for the most part we all get along here. We just have different opinions of which direction the team should head. You guys, on the other hand, had stooped to insults and talking about violence. And it seemed that most of it arose from some of you being offended for being a homer. That's not necessarily an insult, but it is what you appear to be.

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 03:03 PM
And what an upgrade it was!!!! Lane did not last very long.

The Draft is always a crapshoot..... if you 'think' you can get an upgrade, more often than not, you would be wrong.

Could there be an upgrade over DD? Yes.

Will you always get good production over that upgrade? Almost never.A stat I am more intrested in then total yards is yards per carry cause a guy can get a 1000 yards but need 300 carries to do it. So in that case, per carry wise Fred Lane averaged more yards, TDs and big plays than Anthony Thomas ever did.

Point being, consistency is always better than gambling for an upgrade in the draft. Why, by your argument, Hollings should overtake DD for the starting RB..... after all, he was a starting college HB, was projected to be 1st round, and has better speed, right?No I am not saying that.

Let me explain myself better.

By my 99% 1% remark, I'm saying that it is obvious that the Rams will always pass the football.

Your defensive mindset should be, "Send 11 guys into coverage, because Martz is calling a pass."

Now, on plays where Martz has a bit of sanity, he will call a run play. If the defense thinks pass, and you call run, do the math.I guess

Look at the Texans. We run more than we need to, and defenses can guess when we run with accuracy. [I can guess so many times when the Texans would run a draw on 3rd and long]Thats wrong, look at the stats we passed more than we ran on average.

Let's not forget. Faulk plays for dome teams. Wouldn't that artificial turf have anything to do with his 'speed'?

I'm sure much could be learned from this year's Colts.Faulk was deadly no matter the conditions

He's had an ankle sprain vs. the Chiefs, and a groin injury vs. the Titans.Yeah, I know he got hurt but it wasnt like you saw the play he got hurt on. You knew when McAllister got hurt cause his ankle almost broke but you never saw the exact play where Davis got hurt. You just saw him a couple of minutes later limping on the sideline.

Wolf
03-11-2005, 03:05 PM
big difference in the rams offense and the Texans..

Teams schemed against the pass when they played the rams and Faulk would hurt them for that

Teams scheme against the pass when they play us because 1) AJ will hurt them if they don't and 2) DD doesn't hurt them when he gets 7 passes and 15 runs.. That means the ball is out of AJ's hands

I like DD and he does a great job with the talent he has,but we do need an upgrade.

I would think if you put a list together of the top runningbacks DD would be ranked 10-15 IMO. which isn't bad,but above average.

infantrycak
03-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Faulk had 2360 rushing yards, 22 rushing TDs, 997 recieving yards with 4 TDs (7 receptions over 20 and 2 receptions over 40)

Davis had 2219 rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs, 939 receving yards with 1 TD (1 reception over 20 and none over 40)

Those stats are very similar exept for big plays, Faulk used to be able to score from anywhere on the field. Faulk had breakaway speed and moves on top of that

Just to fill in a little more--Faulks' yards came on 603 attempts for an average of 3.9 ypc. Davis has 540 attempts and an average of 4.1 ypc. Faulks' longest runs of his 1st two years were 52 and 40. Davis' longest runs were 51 and 44. Something else to note--Faulk never averaged over 4.1 ypc in a season until he left Indy (Davis averaged 4.3 ypc last year). His running in Indy did not impress them so much that they did not let him go. Of course then in St. Louis he has three years of at least 5.3 ypc. Was Marshall Faulk just a 3rd down back in the wrong role, not a franchise back, etc. in Indy? Did his talent suddenly explode in his 6th year in the league? Of course not--he went from a team where his full potential was not displayed to one where it was.

It is much harder to do, but the only fair way to judge a back is how is he doing with what he is given. Just a blind look at the stats is not an accurate reflection of ability (injuries are a whole nuther issue). There should be zero argument that DD has had below average blocking for his 1st two years. To see how that affects even great backs compare Clinton Portis in Denver and in Washington or compare LaDainian Tomlinson 2003 to 2004 where he dropped 1.4 ypc from his average as the OL entirely changed and was better at pass protection than run blocking. The blocking doesn't just affect ypc, it affects big plays as well. Clinton Portis 24 runs over 20 yards in two years with the Broncos vs. 5 last season with the Skins. LaDainian Tomlinson 2002--12 runs over 20 with a long of 76, 2003--12 runs over 20 with a long of 73, 2004--6 runs over 20 with a long of 42. All the pieces on the O have to work together and we will never know or see the potential of DD, Carr or AJ until the OL can do at least an average NFL job of both run blocking and pass blocking.

edo783
03-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Absoulutly CORRECT Cak. Well done.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Just to fill in a little more--Faulks' yards came on 603 attempts for an average of 3.9 ypc. Davis has 540 attempts and an average of 4.1 ypc. Faulks' longest runs of his 1st two years were 52 and 40. Davis' longest runs were 51 and 44. Something else to note--Faulk never averaged over 4.1 ypc in a season until he left Indy (Davis averaged 4.3 ypc last year). His running in Indy did not impress them so much that they did not let him go. Of course then in St. Louis he has three years of at least 5.3 ypc. Was Marshall Faulk just a 3rd down back in the wrong role, not a franchise back, etc. in Indy? Did his talent suddenly explode in his 6th year in the league? Of course not--he went from a team where his full potential was not displayed to one where it was.

It is much harder to do, but the only fair way to judge a back is how is he doing with what he is given. Just a blind look at the stats is not an accurate reflection of ability (injuries are a whole nuther issue). There should be zero argument that DD has had below average blocking for his 1st two years. To see how that affects even great backs compare Clinton Portis in Denver and in Washington or compare LaDainian Tomlinson 2003 to 2004 where he dropped 1.4 ypc from his average as the OL entirely changed and was better at pass protection than run blocking. The blocking doesn't just affect ypc, it affects big plays as well. Clinton Portis 24 runs over 20 yards in two years with the Broncos vs. 5 last season with the Skins. LaDainian Tomlinson 2002--12 runs over 20 with a long of 76, 2003--12 runs over 20 with a long of 73, 2004--6 runs over 20 with a long of 42. All the pieces on the O have to work together and we will never know or see the potential of DD, Carr or AJ until the OL can do at least an average NFL job of both run blocking and pass blocking.

Man Cak that should shut em up !!! Well done if i may say so myself :heh:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 07:18 PM
DD isn't an elite back, but he isn't a terrible one either. He is a serviceable starter. I don't see what the problem in that is.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:22 PM
ok Cak i was wrong it didnt shut em up :hmmm: . Theres just no convincing some of these people :shocked

jr0ck
03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
... i love it when i read a whole thread, formulate a position/argument, and right before i look for the 'post reply' button i read one of 'caks posts that expresses my own view. saves my hands from carpul tunnel, usually sounds more eloquent, more effective stats and he pulls much more respect on these boards than myself ...great minds DO think alike :thumbup ...

p.s. DOMANICK DAVIS RULES!!!!1!ONE1!1ONE!!1! :heh:

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:27 PM
haha yeah he does put things into great perspective, and the stats he throws out there should be good enough to convince any D.D doubters. but theres always the hard headed select few who wont budge (steel Blue)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Message boards are no fun when everyone agrees with everything. :)

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:31 PM
i can agree with that. if we all agreed wouldnt be much of a disscusion !

Vinny
03-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Infantrycak is always tough to argue with because he always comes with facts and well thought out postions. I happen to think Dom is a good 3rd down back and really isn't suited to be an every down starter myself. No denying he can put up some good numbers when not nicked up...but that is a part of the formula in the NFL that you cannot discount. It's a tough game. I'd like to see us cut his touches way back so we may be able to get him to play at a high level for 16 games + playoffs instead of 5-6 games a year at full strength.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
yeah i really dont think he has durability issues. I mean he had 2 good first games (despite the fumbles). than was knicked up for a few games, came back into the mix, and was kinda inconsistent (o-line) and at the end of the season the final 3 games the o-line seemed to play better and he seemed to be more patient while running the ball, which is what ya need when ya have zone blocking !

Wolf
03-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I agree with vinny.. when healthy dom is solid (not great) but when nicked up , it shows really bad

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I agree with vinny.. when healthy dom is solid (not great) but when nicked up , it shows really bad

of course it shows bad, you ever get a sprang ankle and try to run on it ??? Not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Wolf
03-11-2005, 07:45 PM
thing that troubles me is when Davis rushes for 100 yards and we lose.. I don't have the Texans win/loss record when he does that,but I know we lose.. Now it isn't Davis' fault on that, he did is job,but it seems that the defense gives those yards up in order to keep the clamps on AJ and not allow the deep pass.

southtexan
03-11-2005, 07:46 PM

Excellent post, right on the money :thumbup

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:47 PM
na i think the stat is when he rushes for 2 or more tds we lose.

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 07:47 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason Davis is our starter is because there is nobody better than him on the team at this time...

If we have any opportunity to upgrade the position, then we should, because, the way I see it, DD is in the bottom 1/3 of the league's starting RBs...

Wolf
03-11-2005, 07:49 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason Davis is our starter is because there is nobody better than him on the team at this time...

If we have any opportunity to upgrade the position, then we should, because, the way I see it, DD is in the bottom 1/3 of the league's starting RBs...

I wouldn't say bottom third maybe 10-15

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:50 PM
ACTUALLY i have football pro magazine that puts Davis at no# 8 among all nfl running backs !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
3-5 record when DD rushes for 100+

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
ACTUALLY i have football pro magazine that puts Davis at no# 8 among all nfl running backs !(Honest question) You sure it isnt talking for fantasy football???

Wolf
03-11-2005, 07:53 PM
funny how the point of views change..

Wells ... stinks
DD ... very good.

yet Wells didn't have an OL the first year and struggled.. 3 years later when DD goes down.. wells averaged about the same as DD.. yet wells still stinks (in some eyes) and DD is very good.

I am not a Wells "homer" yet I find it funny the excuses that come up with if DD doesn't do well .. it is because the OL didn't block .. yet Wells was judged on his talent alone and has that label now..

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:54 PM
haha no fiddy its not talking fantasy football, even though they do have a Fantasy football section, and he is really high on their scales as well !!! The are talking top RB overall in the nfl and he's no. 8,,,last season they had him at no# 14, he's moved up !

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
haha no fiddy its not talking fantasy football, even though they do have a Fantasy football section, and he is really high on their scales as well !!! The are talking top RB overall in the nfl and he's no. 8,,,last season they had him at no# 14, he's moved up !Can you please post that list.

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll admit DD is a good fantasy back, because he gets a lot of catches, but honestly, I'd rather have a RB with stone hands and a dynamic TE than a RB with decent hands and no TE...

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 07:56 PM
funny how the point of views change..

Wells ... stinks
DD ... very good.

yet Wells didn't have an OL the first year and struggled.. 3 years later when DD goes down.. wells averaged about the same as DD.. yet wells still stinks (in some eyes) and DD is very good.

I am not a Wells "homer" yet I find it funny the excuses that come up with if DD doesn't do well .. it is because the OL didn't block .. yet Wells was judged on his talent alone and has that label now..

i'm not putting wells down at all, i dont blame him for the first year, your right we had no line to block for the guy. But i think as much as cut back ability is needed in the zone blocking than D.D is the guy, cause he can make cuts and change direction unlike wells can do. And wells is more of a down hill power runner !

Wolf
03-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I'll admit DD is a good fantasy back, because he gets a lot of catches, but honestly, I'd rather have a RB with stone hands and a dynamic TE than a RB with decent hands and no TE...
I want a RB that is a threat to go the distance anytime they touch the ball
and if they can't run over people, make them miss

D-ReK
03-11-2005, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't say bottom third maybe 10-15

Yeah, I agree bottom third may be a little harsh, but in my eyes, he's in about the 15-20 range...

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 08:01 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think DD is the 8th best back in the NFL.

Jamal Lewis
LaDanian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes
Duece McAllister
Ahman Green
Curtis Martin
Stephen Alexander
Corey Dillon
Edgerin James
Fred Taylor
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Rudi Johnson
Brian Westbrook
Chris Brown
Kevin Jones
Willis McGahee

IMO, all of these backs are better than DD right now.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
1 LaDainian Tomlinson
2 Priest Holmes
3 Ahman Green
4 Deuce McAllister
5 Clinton Portis
6 Edgerrin James
7 Corey Dillion
8 Domanick Davis
9 Brian Westbrook
10 Fred Taylor

its a magazine i have so its not a link but there is the top 10 RB

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 08:04 PM
You are kidding yourself if you think DD is the 8th best back in the NFL.

Jamal Lewis
LaDanian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes
Duece McAllister
Ahman Green
Curtis Martin
Stephen Alexander
Corey Dillon
Edgerin James
Fred Taylor
Clinton Portis
Tiki Barber
Rudi Johnson
Chris Brown
Kevin Jones
Willis McGahee

IMO, all of these backs are better than DD right now.

its not what i said its what football pro magazine said ! Why dont ya read what i wrote.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 08:05 PM
1 LaDainian Tomlinson
2 Priest Holmes
3 Ahman Green
4 Deuce McAllister
5 Clinton Portis
6 Edgerrin James
7 Corey Dillion
8 Domanick Davis
9 Brian Westbrook
10 Fred Taylor

its a magazine i have so its not a link but there is the top 10 RB

Do you realize Jamal Lewis, who ran for 2,066 yards a season ago, isn't even in the top 10. That alone should tell you something is wrong with that list.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
yeah well he didnt so so well in 2004, i dunno i didnt make the list up. If ya dont like it why dont ya find their number call them and complain about it to them !!!

Fiddy
03-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Do you realize Jamal Lewis, who ran for 2,066 yards a season ago, isn't even in the top 10. That alone should tell you something is wrong with that list.Neither is Alexander and Rudi Johnson, who are both franchised players.

Wolf
I am not hating on DD.. I feel DD's talent is maximized by the Texans.. Do I think he is bad? NO.. I think he makes a really good 3rd down back .. and the only reason on that, is that he isn't a threat to take it to the distance.. sure stats can come out on his longest run.. The titans game where DD ran it 44 yards (or so).. I mean that was perfect call at the right time.. Could he pull a Marcus Allen in the Super Bowl against the Redskins I'd hope so but .. no.. I haven't seen where DD can make things happen.. He lacks the burst.. That is all.. I wish he could do this.. DD is a solid back..

Not saying this is a bad thing, but in a Texan's fans eyes I see DD=Billy MIller= JJ moses.. all guys that bust their tail to do their job and are solid, (they are the best at their positions that we have seen) yet on the NFL scale.. average to above average.

TexansTrueFan
oh and they had lewis ranked at no# 12 just so ya know !

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Curtis Martin isn't on that list either and he was the rushing champion.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Jamal Lewis is a top 5 RB in the NFL. No way DD should be ranked higher than him.

TexansTrueFan
03-11-2005, 08:14 PM
alexander was # 11 and rudi was ranked # 14, dont ask me lol, i to think its a sorry list but liked it JUST BECAUSE they had D.D ranked so high !

gg no re
03-11-2005, 10:41 PM
The list looks more like someone's ranking of Madden backs based on overall rating. No way Portis should be ranked above Edge or Dillon. :/

jr0ck
03-12-2005, 12:50 AM
i just don't see how some people have already seen the 'ceiling' on davis talent and other's (myself included) are 'oblivious' to it. since stats are all the rage, what is the benchmark number of +20yd runs to solidify a back that is 'a threat to take it the distance from anywhere, anytime'? more relative to our beloved texans, how far does DD fall short of 'par' for a franchise RB?

i wouldn't argue DD in the top ten in the league right now, but based on his production thus far, i just think he has WAY too much upside to have the door closed on him so soon. don't worry, i'm also not saying he shouldn't be challenged for the job, as i like the thought of drafting a young power back to take some of the load off davis. i just don't see how everyone 'knows' this is as far as davis' talent can take him and seems to discredit our 4th round pick for everything he's accomplished thus far...*cough*rookie of the year*cough*back to back 1000yd+ seasons while not playing every game either season*cough*avg 8yds a catch last season*cough*...man, can anyone lend me some hall's? :heh: ...

Curtis Martin isn't on that list either and he was the rushing champion.

don't know the stats (enter infantrycak...) but i remember hearing something along the lines of martin not having one run over 40yds this year and a long of a little over twenty. the rushing champ would rip off 10-12yd runs but never seemed to be a threat to take it the distance all season...yet steel blue (and others who share his POV) would almost assuredly agree martin>>>davis. although i agree whole heartdly (martin=very much underated all his career), i don't agree a franchise back MUST rip off 70yd TD's and every other run is a 20yd+ gain. consistencey barely edges out production (in individual years) followed by a close third in character = my franchise back.

and just to note, every 'normal situation' run play in a play book is designed to 'take it the distance'. every lineman has 2nd and 3rd level responsibilities. a good example this year was DD huge slash in jags round II that woke the texans back up. i noticed seth wand and chester pitts doing an excellent job in getting the their 2nd and 3rd resposibilites and DD gives us a huge chunk of yards. but when the linemen don't even fulfill their 1st responsibilties...DOMANICK DAVIS SUX0RZ teh B1GG 0N3!!!!! lol, i could seriously type two more paragraphs but i guess i should wait for a rebuttle (if any one reads my 'impersonation a wind bag' post :cool: )

michaelm
03-12-2005, 12:51 AM

I agree with your point, but this statement is true of every starter in the NFL...

infantrycak
03-12-2005, 08:14 AM
don't know the stats (enter infantrycak...) but i remember hearing something along the lines of martin not having one run over 40yds this year and a long of a little over twenty.

Correct--0 runs over 40 yards and runs of 20+ of 24, 25, 21, 22, 20 and 20.

Two things I think I know:

#1--every team needs two solid RB's because injuries will happen to every RB so whether or not you believe DD is a sure starter the Texans should draft a RB. I still have hope that Hollings will contribute one day as the speed back some people are so desparate for but don't want to gamble on that happening so I would take another RB in this draft.

#2--DD's niggling injuries and the development of the OL are the only reason this discussion is even taking place. If DD can pull a Fred Taylor and play a complete season with performances like the second half of last season there won't be a peep from anyone about him.

Last 8 games of 2004: 828 yards rushing, 4.6 ypc, 5 runs of 20+, 8 TD's rushing, 319 yards receiving, 1 receiving TD and 0 fumbles.

Projected over 16 games: 1656 yards rushing, 4.6 ypc, 10 runs of 20+, 16 rushing TD's, 638 yards receiving, and 2 receiving TD's.

Anybody going to be arguing about DD being a third down back, heck whether he is a top third back if that happened? No, so the issue isn't really his ability when healthy and getting decent blocking it is whether he can stay healthy and the OL coming together.

Beastlyman2003
03-12-2005, 09:36 AM
DD is a great 3rd down back and a serviceable starter. That is just the truth.

I swear you never say anything positive about any subject on this board. Also, do you have a speach impediment like the kid in the wheel chair off Malcolm in the Middle cuz i have never seen...one of your replies...longer than...a sentance...or two? :loser:

Lucky
03-12-2005, 09:46 AM
OK, you guys have had your fun. That's the last insult that's going to be traded in this thread. Look at infantrycak's posts in this thread. That's how you make a case for your position. If you aren't able to articulate a position in that manner, you're not likely to convince someone to change their mind on a subject.

TexansNeedRBin05
03-13-2005, 07:35 PM
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW HOW BAD D.DAVIS IS? HES SLOW HES LITTLE HES KINDA QUICK BUT HE DOESNT GET MANY YDS. ARE O-LINE ISNT GREAT BUT THEY DID OK I THINK WE NEED A NEW RB! WHY HAVENT WE SIGNED SOMONE LIKE THE A-TRAIN ATLEAST SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY THE BALL ALITTLE! PUT WELLS IN THERE HES BETTER THAN DAVIS DO SOMETHING! :thumbup

03-13-2005, 07:43 PM
IM GUNA HAVE TO DISAGRREE WIT U HERE CUZ HAV U EVER SEEN WELLS RUN!?!?!?! ALSO THA ATRAIN IZNT ALL TOO GOOD. AN UPGRADE AT RB WUD BE KOOL, BUT DAVIS IZ SERVICABLE, AND WILL DO FOR NOWZ LOLZ! :cool:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I swear you never say anything positive about any subject on this board. Also, do you have a speach impediment like the kid in the wheel chair off Malcolm in the Middle cuz i have never seen...one of your replies...longer than...a sentance...or two? :loser:

"speach"
"cuz"
"sentance"

Thanks, that's all I needed to see. :loser

jr0ck
03-13-2005, 09:07 PM
AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW HOW BAD D.DAVIS IS?

lol, MY EARS HURT!! could you explain your stance and your reasons why? not that i feel you bring anything constructive to either side of the discussion, i just want to get more insight from someone who posts like that...

TexansNeedRBin05
03-14-2005, 12:06 AM
lol, MY EARS HURT!! could you explain your stance and your reasons why? not that i feel you bring anything constructive to either side of the discussion, i just want to get more insight from someone who posts like that...

Hes slow hes little I mean the one good run I saw him make Week 16 aganist I cant remember who they played he got lucker than yall get out a Lineman out of no where and made an awesome block. I mean I know those last 2 games he played well but hes terrible! I mean most backs are either big fast both or speical like P.Holmes. Hes none of those I dont care Wells is better than Davis and whatever happend to old Stacey Mack? He was better than Davis and Wells atelast he ran some people over. Poor Carr cant keep carrying us I mean atleast we got Johnson but we need more! Its like the Eagles without Westbrook or Buckhalter or even Levens! Why cant we make a trade for Travis Henry?

gg no re
03-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Does anyone sense joke account?

michaelm
03-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I mean most backs are either big fast both or speical like P.Holmes. Hes none of those I dont care Wells is better than Davis and whatever happend to old Stacey Mack? He was better than Davis and Wells atelast he ran some people over.

???? Stacey Mack? Man, IMO you lose credibility making statements like this.
Also, Wells better? You and I must be watching different teams that both happen to have players named Davis and Wells...
The team I watch has a guy named Dominick Davis who is OBVIOUSLY better that the Wells that backs him up.
Now, having said that, I really think that the position can/should be upgraded, but to me, your opinion is in error.
Not trying to start a fight or anything... just my $0.02...

seems to me that you might just be trolling for reactions...

michaelm
03-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Does anyone sense joke account?

yep... trolling for a reaction...

D-ReK
03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
whatever happend to old Stacey Mack? He was better than Davis and Wells atelast he ran some people over.

:rofl: Yeah Mack was better than Davis, that's why Davis beat him out for the starting job...Is Mack even in the NFL anymore? And for a "power" back, Wells has never been a very powerful runner...He hots the hole soft and gets taken down by simple arm tackles...

I'm not the hugest DD fan, but you're blind if you can't see he's the best on this team right now until Hollings gets a chance lol...

TexansNeedRBin05
03-14-2005, 07:44 AM
:rofl: Yeah Mack was better than Davis, that's why Davis beat him out for the starting job...Is Mack even in the NFL anymore? And for a "power" back, Wells has never been a very powerful runner...He hots the hole soft and gets taken down by simple arm tackles...

I'm not the hugest DD fan, but you're blind if you can't see he's the best on this team right now until Hollings gets a chance lol...

And maybe the reason we lost Week 17 to the Browns is because Mack is not in the leage anymore. Stats dont lie Mack had a good career in Jacksonville when Taylor went down so dont be talking about my boy like that! As for me being a Troll I feel that way I just dont think Davis has been the same this year, he was alright his rookie year but hasnt ran that well since then and I think he was a few game wonder. So let me get this straight with Broncos giving permission for Ruben Droughs to seek a trade and Travis Henry is obvious out in Buffloa and whatever happend to Larry Johnson becoming a free agent? We need to get someone and I feel these are key guys. SHOW YOUR LINE SOME LOVE!

BTW what is Carliona going to do with 3 good RB's? (Foster S. Davis and Goings?) we could get one of them?! :thumbup