PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward cares not for Big Ben's brain

Wolf
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
After guiding the Steelers to a pair of Super Bowl wins and absorbing 221 sacks over six seasons, you'd think Ben Roethlisberger(notes) would have earned a little credibility with his teammates particularly among pass-catching teammates. But apparently not.

Hines Ward(notes) shared a few Big Ben-related pregame thoughts with NBC's Bob Costas:

"This game is almost like a playoff game. It's almost a must-win. I could see some players or teammates questioning, like 'It's just a concussion. I've played with a concussion before,'" Ward told Costas in an interview taped Saturday at the team's suburban-Baltimore hotel as a prelude to the Steelers-Ravens game.

"It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn't he play? It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up; the following week, got right back out there. Ben practiced all week. He split time with Dennis Dixon(notes). And then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not it's hard to say. Unless you're the person [himself]. I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight."

Roethlisberger practiced with the Steelers throughout the week, but he was still dealing with exercise-induced headaches so the team's neurosurgeon recommended that he not play. Roethlisberger and Pittsburgh's coaching staff complied. That seems perfectly reasonable, considering the mounting evidence that suggests repeated concussions lead to severe, life-shortening neurological disorders.

But for Ward, it's really hard to say. He would maybe just lie. It was almost like a must-win. (Even though it wasn't, not at all. The Steelers are a six-win team, they have five games remaining and their next two opponents are Oakland and Cleveland).

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/7-on-7-Hines-Ward-cares-not-for-Big-Ben-s-brain?urn=fantasy,205547

HOU-TEX
12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I saw that in the pre-game show. I like Ward and the way he plays the game, but man, that kinda threw me for a loop. I definitely would've thought Hines would understand the significance in head injuries. Hell, Rodney Harrison understood.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Had a few concussions...wouldn't reccomend playing ball with one.

kastofsna
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Had a few concussions

ya don't say?

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Very rarely do I agree with Mike Ditka, but I did last night. What he said was that Hines Ward should've kept his comments in-house and not air dirty laundry... So true, on so many levels.

On another note, I agree with Dread-Head; having suffered a few concussions myself, there is no good thing that can come out of playing with one.... Especially knowing what we know today about concussions.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 09:41 AM
ya don't say?

There are still a couple of undefeated teams left in the NFL. Shouldn't you and the 72 Fins have popped the cork on those bottles of Dom Perignon to celebrate the last Superbowl Miami will ever win from that undefeated SHORT season by now? Can't wait to see what Gresie, Czonka and Morris wear for their "I'm still relevant" interviews this season.:spin:

Imagine how much more lucid I'd be had I NOT had half a dozen concussions. :popcorn:

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Very rarely do I agree with Mike Ditka, but I did last night. What he said was that Hines Ward should've kept his comments in-house and not air dirty laundry... So true, on so many levels.

On another note, I agree with Dread-Head; having suffered a few concussions myself, there is no good thing that can come out of playing with one.... Especially knowing what we know today about concussions.

Congrats Bill...having suffered concussions when we were yonger, we're more seceptable to dementia when we get older. Keep doing sadoku and reading man...we MIGHT be able to stave it off.

kastofsna
12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
There are still a couple of undefeated teams left in the NFL. Shouldn't you and the 72 Fins have popped the cork on those bottles of Dom Perignon to celebrate the last Superbowl Miami will ever win from that undefeated SHORT season by now? Can't wait to see what Gresie, Czonka and Morris wear for their "I'm still relevant" interviews this season.:spin:

Imagine how much more lucid I'd be had I NOT had half a dozen concussions. :popcorn:

the Dolphins won a Super Bowl after that '72 season ;)

and i'd love to see two undefeated teams in the Super Bowl

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
the Dolphins won a Super Bowl after that '72 season ;)

and i'd love to see two undefeated teams in the Super Bowl

Statistically what are the odds of that? Although...imagine a Superbowl between undefeateds...nice. :thinking:
Thanks...you got an old man's mind going.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
By the way...nice use of Elizabithan English in the thread title. More people should do that. Verily good sir, I bid thee anon until the morrow.

HoustonFrog
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
By the way...nice use of Elizabithan English in the thread title. More people should do that. Verily good sir, I bid thee anon until the morrow.

I keep laughing everytime I read it...the form and football are two contrasting things that seem funny together.

Hines Ward doth sayeth that Big Ben the Playcaller should have participated.

eriadoc
12-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm sure Hines Ward's comments are being blown way out of proportion.

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
I keep laughing everytime I read it...the form and football are two contrasting things that seem funny together.

Hines Ward doth sayeth that Big Ben the Playcaller should have participated.

What ho! How now good amphibian! Methinks muchadoo about nothing is this hurleyburley in Pittsburgh. Hines hath spake of matters of the house of Steel which henceforth hath been unknown, but the scribes doth protest too much.

I :heart: Shakespeare

You talk like that in real life people think you're nuts.

Yankee_In_TX
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
we're more seceptable to dementia

That explains so much about Bill....

Dread-Head
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM

"You must spread some rep around before giving it to Yankee_in_Tx again"

:lol:

WWJD
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
One of the old time Steelers has permanent damage from his multiple concussions...name escapes me now but I saw an interview some years back with this gentleman and he has permanent brain damage and it's only from playing with concussion issues.

He keeps his address in his wallet because he can't remember where he lives.

I THINK he was a RB..fullback maybe.

Second Honeymoon
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Merrill Hoge, former Steeler, has had big problems with concussions.

I think Ward is a jerk for saying what he did. You can think it, you can say it in the clubhouse, but to call a guy's toughness and competitiveness to question is just stupid. Maybe the players should have concentrated more on winning the football game themselves than making excuses or whining because they didn't have all their pieces together.

WWJD
12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Merrill Hoge, former Steeler, has had big problems with concussions.

I think Ward is a jerk for saying what he did. You can think it, you can say it in the clubhouse, but to call a guy's toughness and competitiveness to question is just stupid. Maybe the players should have concentrated more on winning the football game themselves than making excuses or whining because they didn't have all their pieces together.

Thanks for the name..that's probably him. I just don't remember his name but I definitely remember the interview and him saying he keeps his address in his wallet so he won't forget where he lives. And how he played with concussions and all the damage that caused. Thanks again.

Texan_Bill
12-01-2009, 01:04 PM

"You must spread some rep around before giving it to Yankee_in_Tx again"

:lol:

And y'all think I lose my balance because I'm drunk, ha!!!. Dain Bramage hurts your equilibrium.

Scooter
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
i saw this as well and couldnt believe hines would say what he did, especially since the league's spent all season focusing on diagnosing and better protecting concussed players. my first thought though was back to big ben's comments about taller receivers, and hines taking a free shot at him publicly.

Dread-Head
12-02-2009, 08:56 AM
i saw this as well and couldnt believe hines would say what he did, especially since the league's spent all season focusing on diagnosing and better protecting concussed players. my first thought though was back to big ben's comments about taller receivers, and hines taking a free shot at him publicly.

What sayeth the league in regards to this matter? For as of late with their wisdom they have been *niggardly, thus methinks whence they speaketh on matters of such, floodgates of untold wisdom shall be forthcoming. Come the sabbath matters such as those of Ben & Hines shall be as passed as last eves mead. What say thee William?

Did I mention that I :heart: Shakespeare?

*Nigardly: To be stingy or a miser

Texan_Bill
12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
What sayeth the league in regards to this matter? For as of late with their wisdom they have been *nigardly, thus methinks whence they speaketh on matters of such, floodgates of untold wisdom shall be forthcoming. Come the sabbath matters such as those of Ben & Hines shall be as passed as last eves mead. What say thee William?

Did I mention that I :heart: Shakespeare?

*Nigardly: To be stingy or a miser

Niggardly. Just sayin'. :hides: for being a spelling nazi.

Dread-Head
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Niggardly. Just sayin'. :hides: for being a spelling nazi.

Yes, yes. But what of thine OPINION William? What sayeths thou in regard to these matters?

still :heart:ing Shakespeare...

Texan_Bill
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, yes. But what of thine OPINION William? What sayeths thou in regard to these matters?

still :heart:ing Shakespeare...

I agree in earnest with these matters. Ye shalt not disagree with my lord.

Dread-Head
12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I agree in earnest with these matters. Ye shalt not disagree with my lord.

Thy speaketh as a man who partakes of his mead with the same thirst with which he persues the fairer sex. I prithee peace William.