PDA

View Full Version : Talented Texans continue to wallow in perpetual mediocrity

Vinny
11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Damning but sadly accurate. Article from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81496596&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

This phrase, however, "We're sitting here at 5-3 and feeling very good," explains why Houston is fading like an anchor dropped in 200 feet of water.

The Texans embrace things that don't really matter, like a winning record at midseason, a big play, a 17-point lead or the fact that the 20-7 halftime lead was its biggest mid-game edge ever against Indianapolis.

The Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Vikings ... they embrace perfection and attention to detail. In saying perfection, Indianapolis' and New Orleans' unbeaten records are byproducts of the constant effort to not make mistakes and to capitalize on the teams that do.

Despite clinching the AFC South title in November and making this the seventh consecutive season they've won at least 11 games, the Colts weren't happy they had to fight back from such a huge deficit Sunday. They weren't pleased that they had to rally in the fourth quarter to win for an NFL-record fifth straight game, even if that is an incredible testament to resiliency.

"Our guys have grown accustomed to traveling with what we call our little 'packet' of poise, confidence, pride and passion," Colts coach Jim Caldwell said. "It's the largest margin of victory we've had in a couple of weeks, so I do think I should smile a little bit, right?"

The turning point of Indianapolis' victory also emphasized the difference between these two teams; one mediocre, one superior. On the Colts' go-ahead drive early in the fourth quarter, running back Joseph Addai caught a short pass from Manning and got rocked by cornerback Dunta Robinson.

While the Texans and their fans marveled at the replay of the big hit, Manning ran the next play on a quick count and hit wide receiver Austin Collie for a 31-yard gain. One team was happy with the small stuff; the other was about taking care of business. Six plays later, tight end Dallas Clark hauled in a 6-yard TD pass to put the Colts up 21-20.

That happy time following Robinson's hit on Addai wasn't so spectacular anymore, was it?

"I felt like they were excited, maybe celebrating a little bit that play so we quick-snapped them and went deep on them right away," Manning said. "That's the thing. You've got to play every play. We know that."

Norg
11-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Man i rdy for the jags game im tired of talking about old stuff :texans:

i think the texans fans need to go to a few more road games be a better travel team

and thoes Jags tickets are cheap 2 ....

Wolf
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
sad but good article that shows where we are

ArlingtonTexan
11-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, we will see if the mediocrity starts from the top depending on how, McNair handles Kubiak and the off-season. if a meaningless run to 8-8, hell even 9-7 is enough for the owner, then we may know what we are dealing with long term.

Norg
11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Getting in a New HC and new coaches isnt going to help us win any quicker IMO

WWJD
11-29-2009, 10:47 PM
MSN sports said the Texans fold up like a beach chair...ouch!

Got to play 60 minutes guys.

Hervoyel
11-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Damning but sadly accurate. Article from NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81496596&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Yeah but didn't you hear? Dunta's having a career year. That was his highlight hit of the game (He's good for one every week).

The guy's right though. The Texans are focused on all the wrong things and that's true on an organizational level as well as on the field, on the sideline, and in the stands even. The perfect game day experience at "Texans World" is the goal, not winning football. It's never been about winning football. That was always just assumed to come following the correct choice in team colors, cheerleader outfits, and enough sold PSL's.

This team is all wrong where it counts. I can't even say "that's on Gary" because he's just the result of a process that starts with Bob McNair.

I'm sorry to say it but Bob's a stooge of an owner. He's a heck of a nice guy but he's just totally worthless as an NFL owner. He's an anchor around the franchises neck. By the time this guy figures it all out he'll be dead of old age and soccer will be the most popular sport in America.

The Cush
11-29-2009, 10:51 PM
The Colts have a LEADER who KNOWS how to win in Peyton, the Patriots have that in Brady and Hoodie. This team is young and doesn't really have that, and if we don't have that in our players I feel that we need to posses that in our coach. I like Kubes sometimes but he's still inexperienced, bringing in a guy like Cowher (im not saying thats going to happen) will provide us with that Leader who knows how to win

Norg
11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
calling out bob mcnair wow BOB has nothing 2 do with the results on the field he keeps his fingers out of the decesion making he will tell u himself hes not to savy on football knowledge

if your going to blame someone blame RIck smith and Kubes

ArlingtonTexan
11-29-2009, 10:54 PM

All but the worst franchises in the NFL make the playoffs much less finish over .500 every 4 years. Teams go from awful to the playoffs in a single season regularly. The texans are on the mode of being a C minus 8-8 in 2007 to C 8-8 in 2008 to C plus in 2009, which is still a C and 8-8 for three years in league where teams go from suckitude to the playoffs every year.

ArlingtonTexan
11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
calling out bob mcnair wow BOB has nothing 2 do with the results on the field he keeps his fingers out of the decesion making he will tell u himself hes not to savy on football knowledge

At what point is the person who hires the mediocore responsible for the mediocrity?

RTP2110
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
To me, the difference is coaching. I don't think Indy is that much more talented then we are. I don't think Tennessee is that much more talented than we are. I don't think Jacksonville is more talented than we are at all. But gee, guess who's in last place in the AFC South.

There's two main parts of a team. the players on the field, and the coaches coordinating them. I don't see the Texans as a team lacking talent. The difference is coaching.

houstonspartan
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Damn, I didn't know what was going on during that play.

But seeing it now...

This is embarrassing. Our players were celebrating a hit and we got burned.

I have no words.

WWJD
11-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Damn, I didn't know what was going on during that play.

But seeing it now...

This is embarrassing. Our players were celebrating a hit and we got burned.

I have no words.

Peyton is a really SMART QB...

StarStruck
11-29-2009, 11:00 PM
While the Texans and their fans marveled at the replay of the big hit, Manning ran the next play on a quick count and hit wide receiver Austin Collie for a 31-yard gain. One team was happy with the small stuff; the other was about taking care of business. Six plays later, tight end Dallas Clark hauled in a 6-yard TD pass to put the Colts up 21-20.

That happy time following Robinson's hit on Addai wasn't so spectacular anymore, was it?

"I felt like they were excited, maybe celebrating a little bit that play so we quick-snapped them and went deep on them right away," Manning said. "That's the thing. You've got to play every play. We know that."

I must admit that I was guilty of marveling at the replay of the big hit, and the next thing out of my mouth was "what in the heck happened". That was a smooth, perhaps slick quick count and delivery by Manning on that next play. I totally missed it.

Norg
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
At what point is the person who hires the mediocore responsisble for the mediocrity?

well u got to hire Gm's and mcanir has a team of guys on the decison its not jut him

14 teams out of the 32 have been struggling PLayoffs 1 and done or not it is what it is

-Bills
-Jets
-Bengals
-Browns
-Texans
-KC
-Oakland
Redskins
Bears
Lions
tampa bay
St louis
San fran
Seahawks

all have had multiple coach changes with no succuess we are in the same boat has them

houstonspartan
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Peyton is a really SMART QB...

He is a freaking GENIUS.

Runner
11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
The Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Vikings ... they embrace perfection and attention to detail. In saying perfection, Indianapolis' and New Orleans' unbeaten records are byproducts of the constant effort to not make mistakes and to capitalize on the teams that do.

About Thursday there will be many predictions that it is practically in the bag that the Texans will finish the season 5-0. That's embracing perfection.

Carr Bombed
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM

but you just said a coaching change wouldn't change anything???

:headhurts:

The problem is there is nobody on this team that can show this team "the way".

Andre......nope, he's never been there

Schaub....nope, he hasn't even started a full season before. He's probably hitting the wall because his body doesn't even know what it's like to take all these snaps

Dunta....HELL NO!

DeMeco & Mario....nope

Hell even Mr. Texan himself Chester Pitts has never been on a winning team before.

Kubes has helped coach on winning teams, but he's never been "The guy", hell he had to run all his plays through Shanahan.

What this team needs is instant credibility. They need a guy who can walk in that locker room tomorrow and have instant credibility with every player in that locker room. A coach like Bill Cowher would provide that and if not him then someone like Holmgren. This team needs someone who can teach them what it takes to be a winner and has all the experience to show them how. If Bob McNair wants to save this team from becoming a further perennial laughing stock he needs to blow Cowher's socks off as soon as the season is over.

The saddest thing about this whole mess is you can really tell to a man, that this team desperately WANTS TO WIN......they just don't know how the **** to do it (which is the most frustrating thing about this whole entire situation), sadly Kubiak also falls into that group, which is why he needs to go and be a understudy somewhere again.

Norg
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM

It wont not in the short term at least

Carr Bombed
11-29-2009, 11:17 PM
well u got to hire Gm's and mcanir has a team of guys on the decison its not jut him

14 teams out of the 32 have been struggling PLayoffs 1 and done or not it is what it is

-Bills
-Jets
-Bengals
-Browns
-Texans
-KC
-Oakland
Redskins
Bears
Lions
tampa bay
St louis
San fran
Seahawks

all have had multiple coach changes with no succuess we are in the same boat has them

:rolleyes: We've had ONE coaching change in 8 years of football. (I don't count assistants and coordinators...alot of teams change those, even winning teams...I'm talking about head coaches here) It's time to cut bait and move on.

Jackie Chiles
11-29-2009, 11:17 PM
The problem is there is nobody on this team that can show this team "the way".

Andre......nope, he's never been there

Schaub....nope, he hasn't even started a full season before. He's probably hitting the wall because his body doesn't know what it's like to take all these snaps

Dunta....HELL NO!

DeMeco & Mario....nope

Hell even Mr. Texan himself Chester Pitts has never been on a winning team before.

Kubes has helped coached on winning teams, but he's never been "The guy", hell he had to run all his plays through Shanahan.

What this team needs is instant credibility. They need a guy who can walk in that locker room tomorrow and have instant credibility with every player in that locker room. A coach like Bill Cowher would provide that and if not him then someone like Holmgren. This team needs someone who can teach them what it takes to be a winner and has all the experience to show them how. If Bob McNair wants to save this team from becoming a further perennial laughing stock he needs to blow Cowher's socks off as soon as the season is over.

The saddest thing about this whole mess is you can really tell to a man, that this team desperately WANTS TO WIN......they just don't know how the **** to do it, sadly Kubiak also falls into that group, which is why he needs to go and be a understudy somewhere again.

The fans need and deserve it too. Going to be awfully tough to sell another year of this. We are already back to the stadium being about a quarter empty during the game from people who actually pay for the tickets but just don't show up. I believe next year is going to be a breaking point unless something drastic happens.

Carr Bombed
11-29-2009, 11:20 PM

It wont not in the short term at least

What the hell is the "short term"....

Are you talking about NEXT SEASON? What part of the past 4 years of football lead you to believe that Kubiak's track record is going to change and that he'll even be a better solution for the "short term".

New coaches come in all the time and lead their teams to the playoffs. A good head coach can hit the ground running ESPECIALLY with a team that has as much young talent as the Houston Texans.

Norg
11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes: We've had ONE coaching change in 8 years of football. (I don't count assistants and coordinators...alot of teams change those, even winning teams...I'm talking about head coaches here) It's time to cut bait and move on.

capers had 4 years

i think we should give kubes 5 years

i for one am not rdy to hit the reset button yet unless we know for fact Cower or shanhann want to Come to Houston

thats were i stand

Norg
11-29-2009, 11:24 PM
What the hell is the "short term"....

Are you talking about NEXT SEASON? What part of the past 4 years of football lead you to believe that Kubiak's track record is going to change and that he'll even be a better solution for the "short term".

New coaches come in all the time and lead their teams to the playoffs. A good head coach can hit the ground running ESPECIALLY with a team that has as much young talent as the Houston Texans.

or it could fall apart its a gamble maybe we get a new coach and start off

1 and 3 to kick off the 2010 season what then thats short term

to me kubes has done what he was asked to do turn our absymal Offesnsive with carr into something with legs he just needs more time IMO

iam all for getting rid of kubes right now depending on who we get to replace him if we get a another up a coming coach why even bother

Carr Bombed
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
capers had 4 years

i think we should give kubes 5 years

i for one am not rdy to hit the reset button yet unless we know for fact Cower or shanhann want to Come to Houston

thats were i stand

It turned out Capers was fired a year late....if we keep Kubes on another year you risk a 2005 like debacle. This team might already pack their bags and shut it down THIS SEASON. Today for the first time, I saw the dumbass stare that I used to see on Dom Capers' face all to often. It was actually the second that I was 100% positive that it was time to move on. That look scared the **** out of me and it's a stare I thought I would never have to look at again after we fired Capers.

Section516
11-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Coaching changes don't work for teams that are way behind the curve, IE Browns.

Coaching changes with teams with talent, IE Broncos, Falcons, ect ect..

Just saying. Coaching changes are diffrent for diffrent teams..

We are loaded with talent, and if we hit this draft hard, theres no reason a proven coach can't come in here, get 60 minutes of football, and get us somewhere.

Speedy
11-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Since the Texans joined the league, every single team in the NFL with the exception of 3 (Houston, Buffalo, Detroit) have made the playoffs.

houstonspartan
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
or it could fall apart its a gamble maybe we get a new coach and start off

1 and 3 to kick off the 2010 season what then thats short term

to me kubes has done what he was asked to do turn our absymal Offesnsive with carr into something with legs he just needs more time IMO

iam all for getting rid of kubes right now depending on who we get to replace him if we get a another up a coming coach why even bother

Dude, come on. Pick a side.

Your thinking is: "Well, I sort of want a new coach, but what if we mess up in choosing one? What if we can't get the right coach in here?"

In my opinion, the "there's nothing better out there" line is an excuse for not making any changes. It's based in fear. The result is mediocrity.

I like Gary, but he's not getting it done. I'm willing to risk it all on a new coach.

Texecutioner
11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Coaching changes don't work for teams that are way behind the curve, IE Browns.

Coaching changes with teams with talent, IE Broncos, Falcons, ect ect..

Exactly. That is what certain conservative fans don't understand. It's like they are so afraid of change that they think any change is for the worse. It's amazing to me how certain people can just accept mediocraty and feel proud of that, because they are so afraid of change.

Just saying. Coaching changes are diffrent for diffrent teams..

We are loaded with talent, and if we hit this draft hard, theres no reason a proven coach can't come in here, get 60 minutes of football, and get us somewhere.

That's exactly what I think. Our record could just as easily have only like 3 losses this season but we now have 6. I think this team could be a playoff team this season had we had a better HC that made better game management decisions and got his team fired up a lot more.

Carr Bombed
11-29-2009, 11:50 PM
Since the Texans joined the league, every single team in the NFL with the exception of 3 (Houston, Buffalo, Detroit) have made the playoffs.

I'll go one further (heard it a couple of weeks ago).

The minute the Bills fired Dick Jauron, during Kubiak's tenure here, every single team in the NFL not named the Houston Texans have either...

A.) made the playoffs
or
B.) made a head coaching change.

Sorry, this is a results oriented league and if you aren't getting the results you don't get to keep your job.....despite how swell of a guy you are or how likeable you may be. (and Kubiak is certainly that...he's a guy I'd have no problem drinking a beer with.)

houstonspartan
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Exactly. That is what certain conservative fans don't understand. It's like they are so afraid of change that they think any change is for the worse. It's amazing to me how certain people can just accept mediocraty and feel proud of that, because they are so afraid of change.

That's exactly what I think. Our record could just as easily have only like 3 losses this season but we now have 6. I think this team could be a playoff team this season had we had a better HC that made better game management decisions and got his team fired up a lot more.

Yep. And those same conservative fans don't pay attention to the standings. We had a firm 2nd place position a few weeks ago, and, as of tonight, we are in fourth place.

Even worse is that we were bypassed by two lesser talented teams.

Pantherstang84
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM

Your thinking is: "Well, I sort of want a new coach, but what if we mess up in choosing one? What if we can't get the right coach in here?"

In my opinion, the "there's nothing better out there" line is an excuse for not making any changes. It's based in fear. The result is mediocrity.

I like Gary, but he's not getting it done. I'm willing to risk it all on a new coach.

and that is the sad part just about everyone here wanted to see Kubiak succeed. I really hope he is successful somewhere.

Carr Bombed
11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
and that is the sad part just about everyone here wanted to see Kubiak succeed. I really hope he is successful somewhere.

As do I... I wish it could've been here, because he says all the right things, carries himself the right way, and is even willing to fall on swords after losses.

Oh well, nice guys tend to finish last more often than not. LOL, but that would describe the Houston Texans since their inception.

Norg
11-30-2009, 01:13 AM

ok cower or shanhann or gruden or no new coach

since Cower wants to go to Carolina to be near his family

and The bills pushing hard for Shanhann

if we can get either or lets stick with Kubes . Period

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 01:19 AM
ok cower or shanhann or gruden or no new coach

since Cower wants to go to Carolina to be near his family

and The bills pushing hard for Shanhann

if we can get either or lets stick with Kubes . Period

LOL. Uh, that's still not a choice. You're still hedging your bets.

What if we can't get Shanahan or Cowher? We just prepare for another season of mediocrity?

There are a ton of other good coaches out there. It's not just about one or two high profile guys. What about Brian Billick? He's defensive minded, which is what this team needs. What if Lovie Smith becomes available?

Cowher would be cool, but it's dangerous for us to pin all of our hopes on getting him because it would be a long shot at best.

phantom17
11-30-2009, 01:30 AM

Agree! This team just needs a HC that would kick them in the butt & not hold their hands!

Carr Bombed
11-30-2009, 01:46 AM
LOL. Uh, that's still not a choice. You're still hedging your bets.

What if we can't get Shanahan or Cowher? We just prepare for another season of mediocrity?

There are a ton of other good coaches out there. It's not just about one or two high profile guys. What about Brian Billick? He's defensive minded, which is what this team needs. What if Lovie Smith becomes available?

Cowher would be cool, but it's dangerous for us to pin all of our hopes on getting him because it would be a long shot at best.

Brian Billick is a offensive minded coach who could never get his offense rolling outside of Minnesota where he had Randy Moss and Chris Carter.

No to Billick, he's a good motivator and is a "Phil Jackson type Zen Master" (not talking about Phil Jackson type coaching success....talking about the quirky psychology like coaching style), but his side of the ball was a year in and year out failure in Baltimore and his defense had to bail him out pratically every year. Towards the end of his tenure there his defense pretty much hated him.

houstonspartan
11-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Brian Billick is a offensive minded coach who could never get his offense rolling outside of Minnesota where he had Randy Moss and Chris Carter.

No to Billick, he's a good motivator and is a "Phil Jackson type Zen Master" (not talking about Phil Jackson type coaching success....talking about the quirky psychology like coaching style), but his side of the ball was a year in and year out failure in Baltimore and his defense had to bail him out pratically every year. Towards the end of his tenure there his defense pretty much hated him.

Interesting. I didn't know that about Billick. Thanks for pointing that out.

Esoom
11-30-2009, 05:27 AM
I have come to the realization that the Texans players as a whole are so talented that they have managed to go 8-8 the past two seasons (And probably this one as well) despite poor coaching.
Therefore, I have concluded that rolling the dice on a new head coach is not particularly risky at all. With the talent that we put on the field, we are good for 8 games a year regardless of who is at the helm. We just need that last piece to put us over the .500 hump.

ArlingtonTexan
11-30-2009, 07:43 AM

-Bills
-Jets
-Bengals
-Browns
-Texans
-KC
-Oakland
Redskins
Bears
Lions
tampa bay
St louis
San fran
Seahawks

Honestly have not idea what you actually typed here, but just to further prove my point of the following teams have made playoffs in the Kubiak era:

and since 2006 (kubiak era) the followong of those dogs you randomly listed have been in the playoffs

KC
Seahawks
chicago
Jets
Tampa bay
redskins
Bengals (will make in 2009)

this leaves the the following 7 organization without a playoff appearance

Bills
Browns
Raiders
Lions
Rams
49ers

and our beloved Texans

I guess you are happy to be among less that 25% of the league that does not have a clue.

On McNair: He has the final say on everything, so whether he uses others to help him interview or not, he is making the final choice, so it comes back to him.

Goatcheese
11-30-2009, 09:53 AM
That was his highlight hit of the game (He's good for one every week).

Actually he usually whiffs on the big hits. :rake:

HOU-TEX
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Actually he usually whiffs on the big hits. :rake:

Oh, he still did. He was like a bug hitting Simpson's windshield in route to the endzone.

Double Barrel
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Sad and pathetic. Same crap, different year. Get Bill Murray as HC for this Groundhog Day team.